GDB XXVI: Kicked when we're down

bingofuel
November 27 2009 04:09PM

Is it still considered unmanly to cry? If it is, then please feel free to ignore the contents of this post. You see, when Robin Brownlee called me up this morning to tell me that he was hearing rumours that Ales Hemsky was bound for the operating table, I welled up — partly because I wish Ales well (and I do! Feel better, Hemmer!). But mostly because it sort of feels like the nail in the coffin of an already grotesque season.

We're more than 20 games into the thick of it. We're seven players down due to illness and injury. Gregor's getting pissed out of shape down in Calgary for the Grey Cup, Wanye's off in some backwater European country learning how to bake artisan bread just so, Willis is rocking the Internets at theScore.ca... And the rest of us are sitting here swallowing mouthfuls of our own fingernails as we watch an average team slide further down the bell curve.

Sweet jumping Moses, people, I have to stop thinking this way! Someone, pass the Kool-Aid.

Oh yeah!

Beat the Heat. No, seriously, do it

I know, I know Dany effin' Heatley's in town.

Big effin' deal.

Oh sure, we've partnered with Original Joe's in their Beat the Heat campaign to poke fun at the Heat. I'm going down there tonight to order no less than 27 Joe Burgers so that $27 can be donated to the Give Me Shelter charity. 27 burgers, Nation. If I was actually worried about Dany Heatley, I'd have 28 — just enough to put me into a coma so I could wake up tomorrow morning without a care in the world...

Yes, I would wake up and everyone would be healthy again. Hemsky's shoulder, it would turn out, actually became super-strong allowing him to shoot harder, more often and more accurately.

Comrie would be cured of his mono, and he would score 50 goals with Hilary Duff riding on his back singing her hit song, "[insert name of Duff song here]."

Khabibulin's back wouldn't only be back to 100%, but he would go on to win the World Breakdancing Championships. He'd also rescue a puppy from a fire, started by another rabid puppy.

The statue of Wayne Gretzky outside RX1 would be replaced with a statue of Dustin Penner standing on a pile of skulls — skulls that once belonged to all the people who ever made a donair joke at his expense. The pile would be 12 miles high.

Back to reality

But dreams aren't reality, kids. That's what my expensive psychology degree taught me. We're icing a team of youngins and ne'er-do-wells against a team of — quite literally — Sharks. Colin McDonald and Ryan O'Marra have been called up, Reddox has been sent down, and the lines they are a-changin'.

Oh, and there's going to be another teammate for the Oilers. THE FANS. I'd wager, in spite of the Oilers' shabby record, this is the most excited you're going to see the fans at RX1 in a really long time. Every time the Heat touches the rubber, the sound from the crowd will be defeaning.

And that alone will win the Oilers the game. 2-1 Oilers. In a shootout. And the star of the game will be none other than Deslauriers.

If I'm wrong, I will eat as many OJ's burgers as Penner ate donairs last season. I swear.

243fa199ff6efc362bf29a17e950b47e
Bingofuel is the handsome cyborg who pulls all the levers behind the curtains of the OilersNation. When he isn't running the site, he's plugged into a wall socket, recharging. Or Brownlee and Wanye are playing "keep away" with him. He gets little to no respect.
Avatar
#1 Teufel
November 27 2009, 04:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Hemsky might be out for the year? FUUUUHHHHHHH!!!! I wish Penner had 4 arms and could play with 2 sticks... this is gonna be a long season.

Avatar
#2 Lynda Steele
November 27 2009, 04:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Ok Adam... you are seriously hilarious... I laughed out loud throughout the entire read... thanks for the adrenal rush on a Friday afternoon :) And just to REALLY make my day... wouldn't it be sweet if Smid scored a $500 goal for Give me Shelter? Cmon Laddy...you can do it!

Lynda

Avatar
#3 Jodes
November 27 2009, 04:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Man I hope you're hungry, cause you're gonna be eating a LOT of burgers!

Its going to be an ugly one tonight.. 6-1 for the Sharks, and either Brule or Vis will be injured.

Avatar
#4 Chamucks Deluxe
November 27 2009, 04:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Lynda Steele

*swoons*

Avatar
#5 HansBaurMesserschmittWatson
November 27 2009, 04:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

i love how happy smid was when they asked him about the trade that never happened. "im so happy heatley couldnt make up his mind."

never trade smid.

dont worry fellas we still got horcoff, the season is still alive.

Avatar
#6 Hemmertime
November 27 2009, 04:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Lynda Steele

Ha, we now know Bingofuels first name! Half way there, way to keep your sources secret. Quality journalism Lynda, quality.

Seriously, nice to see you around, welcome to ON. One of the few people we can put a face to a name.

To everyone else, buy Laptop Diaries for your women/mom.

Avatar
#7 I'm a Scientist!
November 27 2009, 04:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Game Day Prediction: Tie Game. 3-3. Goals from Penner, Cogs and Smid of course. The sharks goals come from a Heatly hat trick. Those are the only players playing tonight right?

Obvious Game Day Prediction: Gene Principe will be off the charts with a number of well timed (and horrible) "heat" references..."bring the heat" "Heat up" "Cool the heat down" "Turning up the heat"...etc.

Not So Obvious Game Day Predicition: A tie game occurs because the vibrations created by all the Heatley booing is such that the lights in RX1 are shattered, forcing the game to end prematurely. Also, bingofuel turns a permanent shade of red after Lynda Steele uses his REAL name on his very own blog... how dreadful!

Avatar
#9 Chamucks Deluxe
November 27 2009, 04:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@bingofuel

You're doomed.

Avatar
#10 David S
November 27 2009, 04:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

OK boys. With Hemmer down, its time to open up the last resort. It seems to work for Gregor...

http://www.thecaniac.com/1/custom/brassbonanza.mp3

Avatar
#11 Hemmertime
November 27 2009, 04:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@bingofuel

Think I was listening? I was either

A> Gawking at the person on your left. Or

B> Trying to determine who had bigger hoop earrings.

Avatar
#12 Milli
November 27 2009, 04:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

No worries, hemmer's overrated. Sharks are not that good. I'm calling it 4-3 regulation win. Brule, Horc, Cogs and the captain. 2 on the PP, cuz ya know, that puck hog hemmer's hurt.

Avatar
#13 DK0
November 27 2009, 04:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Milli

That is some amazing kool-aid! Where did you get it?

Avatar
#14 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
November 27 2009, 04:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

Game Day Prediction: Tie Game. 3-3. Goals from Penner, Cogs and Smid of course. The sharks goals come from a Heatly hat trick. Those are the only players playing tonight right?

Obvious Game Day Prediction: Gene Principe will be off the charts with a number of well timed (and horrible) "heat" references..."bring the heat" "Heat up" "Cool the heat down" "Turning up the heat"...etc.

Not So Obvious Game Day Predicition: A tie game occurs because the vibrations created by all the Heatley booing is such that the lights in RX1 are shattered, forcing the game to end prematurely. Also, bingofuel turns a permanent shade of red after Lynda Steele uses his REAL name on his very own blog... how dreadful!

You know he'll have a short segment when they do a close-up on Dustin Penner:

"Dustin Penner was targeted in a potential trade during the off-season that would have seen the Sharks' Dany Heatley donning the copper 'n' blue. Penner has done a great job at showing the Oilers what they almost gave up, as he is currently top 10 in the league in goals, points, and +/-. He says he's also in the best shape of his life.

It just goes to show...

If you get out of the kitchen, you might stand up... the Heat."

Edit: Another possibility: "If you get the heat out of your kitchen, you might stand out"

Avatar
#15 Ender
November 27 2009, 05:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Hemmertime wrote:

Ha, we now know Bingofuels first name! Half way there . . .

Some of us internet junkies know Bingofuel's last name too. Since it isn't as cool as Bingofuel, though, we just don't care. Who the heck is Clark Kent anyway? It's all about the Superman.

Avatar
#16 Librarian Mike
November 27 2009, 05:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Game Day Prediction: 3-2 Oilers in the shootout.

Obvious Game Day Prediction: At least one reference is made by a commentator about how San Jose is the best 'regular season' team in the NHL.

Not So Obvious Game Day Prediction: Between periods Dany Heatley decides he wasn't being used enough on the powerplay and refuses to play anymore. Jeanshorts goes to Kelowna and pees on Heatley's rug.

Avatar
#17 Travis Dakin
November 27 2009, 06:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@bingofuel

Well done mon frere... great bit of humour in an otherwise humourless day.

Avatar
#19 HansBaurMesserschmittWatson
November 27 2009, 06:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

why does no one like horcoff anymore ?

Avatar
#20 Moops
November 27 2009, 06:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@David S

Oh man! I had no idea what that song was. Until now. I must have heard it a hundred billion times playing NHL '94 (it was so easy to score.)

The Whale are simply legendary.

Avatar
#21 dragon
November 27 2009, 06:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
HansBaurMesserschmittWatson wrote:

why does no one like horcoff anymore ?

'cause far too often play dies with him.

imo, playing hurt beyond 80% capacity (which seems to be the case), it's like going to work with flu: you jeopardize all around you just so you don't feel useless away from the action.

again: organization and the vets...someone's gotta do something.

Avatar
#22 Racki
November 27 2009, 06:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Official now, Hemsky surgery. Done for the season.

Per Oilers official Twitter.

Avatar
#23 Travis Dakin
November 27 2009, 07:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Who is the current top prospect in this coming draft? Taylor Something..... I hope he's good.

Avatar
#24 Oildrop89
November 27 2009, 07:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

So do we call it a year and tank it? Look for a trade and get a decent scoring forward (unlikely). Or realize we're only 4 points out of 8th (and 2 out of 15th)and continue on with the group of guys that we have?

Avatar
#25 Oildrop89
November 27 2009, 07:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin, it sucks to almost have to look forward to tanking this season only 25 games in...

Avatar
#26 Travis Dakin
November 27 2009, 07:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Oildrop89 wrote:

So do we call it a year and tank it? Look for a trade and get a decent scoring forward (unlikely). Or realize we're only 4 points out of 8th (and 2 out of 15th)and continue on with the group of guys that we have?

Please PLEASE do the right thing. Tank it hard!!! Sell off the valuable vets and REBUILD PROPERLY!!! This is your chance to right so many wrongs Tambo!

Avatar
#27 jeanshorts
November 27 2009, 07:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Oildrop89

I just hope they don't do anything stupid like trading away assets for a quick fix or to try and find a Hemsky replacement. I'd just trudge along with what we have now, because really things can't get much worse, and then assess where the team is by the trade deadline before doing anything drastic.

Avatar
#28 Jonathan Willis
November 27 2009, 07:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Tank. It's the obvious course to take now.

Avatar
#29 Travis Dakin
November 27 2009, 07:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Tank. It's the obvious course to take now.

Ah voice of reason.... Anything less than a whole hearted sh*t show for the rest of the year would just be wrong.

Avatar
#30 David S
November 27 2009, 07:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Tank. It's the obvious course to take now.

And that would be different from the way we're playing how?

Avatar
#31 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
November 27 2009, 07:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Tank. It's the obvious course to take now.

while i agree 110% the oilers should go that route, i also have no money invested in the team.

sponsors and season ticket holders would probably suggest otherwise.

I know i would be pissed if i dropped thousands of dollars only to have the team tank after 25 games

Avatar
#32 Oildrop89
November 27 2009, 07:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@jeanshorts

Exactly, don't throw away the future for a momentary fix. We'll need those picks with the inability to sign free agents and a lack of possible trade suspects. Do what you can do with the guys there, maybe they surprise us? I'd love to hope, but it'd be nice to grab a high pick in the draft and have someone to build the team around in the near future.

Avatar
#33 Travis Dakin
November 27 2009, 07:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@bingofuel

Hey buddy... I'd like to ask you a favour. Can you please remove the swear filter until maybe midnight so we can fully express how we are feeling right now? I have some very passionate things to say right now that I think some people would relate to.

Avatar
#34 Hemmercules
November 27 2009, 07:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Travis Dakin wrote:

Please PLEASE do the right thing. Tank it hard!!! Sell off the valuable vets and REBUILD PROPERLY!!! This is your chance to right so many wrongs Tambo!

Haha, no way they tank. I bet they win just enough games like they always do.

Great GDB bingofuel!

Avatar
#35 Travis Dakin
November 27 2009, 07:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan wrote:

while i agree 110% the oilers should go that route, i also have no money invested in the team.

sponsors and season ticket holders would probably suggest otherwise.

I know i would be pissed if i dropped thousands of dollars only to have the team tank after 25 games

I think I was one of the only people that actually enjoyed the slide of 2007. Until that last DAMN WIN THAT LET CHICAGO INTO 5TH PLACE AND WIN THE LOTTERY AND TAKE KANE!!!!!! There is some fun to be had when the team is tanking bad. I think we could really get behind that.

Avatar
#36 Chamucks Deluxe
November 27 2009, 07:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Travis Dakin

We're used to losing when we don't want to, why can't we enjoy it when we WANT to? I'm down.

Avatar
#37 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
November 27 2009, 07:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Travis Dakin wrote:

I think I was one of the only people that actually enjoyed the slide of 2007. Until that last DAMN WIN THAT LET CHICAGO INTO 5TH PLACE AND WIN THE LOTTERY AND TAKE KANE!!!!!! There is some fun to be had when the team is tanking bad. I think we could really get behind that.

dont get me wrong, i will drive the tanknation bandwagon right off whatever cliff of mediocrity you want to head to.

Avatar
#38 jeanshorts
November 27 2009, 07:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Travis Dakin wrote:

I think I was one of the only people that actually enjoyed the slide of 2007. Until that last DAMN WIN THAT LET CHICAGO INTO 5TH PLACE AND WIN THE LOTTERY AND TAKE KANE!!!!!! There is some fun to be had when the team is tanking bad. I think we could really get behind that.

Remember that game last year when Chicago raped us, and everyone started cheering for Chicago to score more goals? I've already said it before but it's official now, that's that what this season has become.

Avatar
#39 Travis Dakin
November 27 2009, 07:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Chamucks Deluxe wrote:

We're used to losing when we don't want to, why can't we enjoy it when we WANT to? I'm down.

HAHA I think we should start a petition to management that states we will all fully support a season tanking. I don't want them to think they have to squeak in to playoffs to keep me as a fan. I've been there since March 1980 and I always will be. Please PLEASE give us a great draft pick this year. That is my wish. Screw a four game playoff throttling.

Avatar
#40 Travis Dakin
November 27 2009, 07:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
jeanshorts wrote:

Remember that game last year when Chicago raped us, and everyone started cheering for Chicago to score more goals? I've already said it before but it's official now, that's that what this season has become.

I'm fully on board with that. I've sat back and watched the Blackhawks, Penguins, Capitals, and others suck and suck for years while the Oilers continued to strive for mediocrity. Look at those damn teams now!!! Oh sure we had a playoff ride 2 or 3 times in 20 years but damn.... Wouldn't it be nice to get a top prospect to help us for once?

Avatar
#41 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
November 27 2009, 07:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Travis Dakin wrote:

I'm fully on board with that. I've sat back and watched the Blackhawks, Penguins, Capitals, and others suck and suck for years while the Oilers continued to strive for mediocrity. Look at those damn teams now!!! Oh sure we had a playoff ride 2 or 3 times in 20 years but damn.... Wouldn't it be nice to get a top prospect to help us for once?

~and, on the bright side, MacT isnt around anymore to ruin the top prospect!!!!~

Avatar
#42 David S
November 27 2009, 07:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Travis Dakin wrote:

I'm fully on board with that. I've sat back and watched the Blackhawks, Penguins, Capitals, and others suck and suck for years while the Oilers continued to strive for mediocrity. Look at those damn teams now!!! Oh sure we had a playoff ride 2 or 3 times in 20 years but damn.... Wouldn't it be nice to get a top prospect to help us for once?

He'll probably get a shoulder injury 14 games into his first season and never be the same again.

Oh god.

Avatar
#43 Chamucks Deluxe
November 27 2009, 07:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Travis Dakin

Whats the point of squeaking in when you probably won't make it past the first round? I never understood that. All you basically got out of it was ticket revenue for 2-3 home games.

I don't even feel sad about everything, I feel optimistic about what can be if they take advantage of the situation. Do it up right, dump the OP'd vets gather some picks and build this baby up the right way. Instead of hoping for decent success every year, why don't we build it up so we know we'll be good every year. I'm down with the tankin'.

Avatar
#44 Jamie B.
November 27 2009, 07:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Travis Dakin wrote:

I think I was one of the only people that actually enjoyed the slide of 2007. Until that last DAMN WIN THAT LET CHICAGO INTO 5TH PLACE AND WIN THE LOTTERY AND TAKE KANE!!!!!! There is some fun to be had when the team is tanking bad. I think we could really get behind that.

I don't know why everyone always says this. If we'd won the lottery K.Lowe would have taken Turris. We can see how that's working out for Phoenix so far ...

Avatar
#45 Travis Dakin
November 27 2009, 07:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Chamucks Deluxe wrote:

Whats the point of squeaking in when you probably won't make it past the first round? I never understood that. All you basically got out of it was ticket revenue for 2-3 home games.

I don't even feel sad about everything, I feel optimistic about what can be if they take advantage of the situation. Do it up right, dump the OP'd vets gather some picks and build this baby up the right way. Instead of hoping for decent success every year, why don't we build it up so we know we'll be good every year. I'm down with the tankin'.

I'm feeling the same way. A ray of light maybe. I'm tired of being the Leafs west.... Always good enough to maybe be close to the playoffs but never bad enough to get some draft help to change.

Avatar
#46 Travis Dakin
November 27 2009, 07:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Jamie B. wrote:

I don't know why everyone always says this. If we'd won the lottery K.Lowe would have taken Turris. We can see how that's working out for Phoenix so far ...

He wouldn't have taken Turris. Kane was the number one. Turris was who they wanted to trade up for at 3 or 4. Either way Gagner is the second best pick so I'm not really complaining about it too much. Point being was they won a meaningless game for some sort of "pride" and it ended up screwing them.

Avatar
#47 Chamucks Deluxe
November 27 2009, 07:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

hahhaha.

Avatar
#48 pmg2
November 27 2009, 07:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Stick a hot iron in the Oil. Their season is done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They're not even good enough WITH Hemsky, let alone without him. The only thing which may salvage their season is if Tambellini makes a couple more moves and gets replacements in return who are equal to the top players which are out of the lineup for us !!

......Yah,.....fat chance of that. But I'm willing to be surprised if someone will take the reins and make the moves !!! Likely ? ..NOT !

Avatar
#49 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
November 27 2009, 08:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
pmg2 wrote:

Stick a hot iron in the Oil. Their season is done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They're not even good enough WITH Hemsky, let alone without him. The only thing which may salvage their season is if Tambellini makes a couple more moves and gets replacements in return who are equal to the top players which are out of the lineup for us !!

......Yah,.....fat chance of that. But I'm willing to be surprised if someone will take the reins and make the moves !!! Likely ? ..NOT !

ummm, who are the oilers going to trade off the roster to get top players in return?

Avatar
#50 Harlie
November 27 2009, 08:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Tank. It's the obvious course to take now.

you and I and most here don't care if we tank but do you think Pat Quinn can stomach it?

Comments are closed for this article.