GDB XXVII: Seriously? On the road again?

bingofuel
November 28 2009 03:45PM

Coming on the heels of the announcement that Ales Hemsky's season was over, the Oilers put up a great effort against San Jose last night. It wasn't the result I was hoping for, but in the words of Willis, "It could have been much worse."

So tonight we get into with the Canucks. We're down a Czech and they're up a Swede. Last week, Daniel Sedin re-joined the Canucks bench after missing 18 games because of a broken foot. Meanwhile, our team plays missing eight guys (a stat from TSN.ca says we've lost 154 man games 155 man games to injury. Not boy games, people. MAN games) and the rest of the team has been playing with scurvy. At least, that's what I've been telling everyone who asks me why the Oilers aren't so hot right now.

The Oilers have only won three of their last 10 games, and this is our first road game on a six-game stretch. It's going to be key for the Oilers to, you know, go out there and TRY to win. No stupid mistakes, no own-zone flubs, nothing but perfect passes and scoring.

Easy, right?

Villainous Vancouver

The Canucks have won six of their last ten games. The Sedin sisters are back together, and have demanded that Canucks management install an Easy-Bake Oven in the locker room. Management has acquiesced to their demands.

And while the Canucks have two more wins on the season than us, they have guys hurting two. Granted it's only about half as many. Shit, I'm depressing myself.

There's something to be said for being mad as hell, though. And I know fans are. I can only imagine that the players are too — this isn't the OIlers' dream season some kool-aid drinkers had hoped it would be. If they aren't pissed their missing Hemsky for the season, then they should be.

I got the impression from Strudwick's interview last night that he didn't want Hemsky's injury to prove naysayers right: that the Oilers are screwed without the star player.

It's step-up time, boys. And we have a lot of steps to get where we need to be.

3-1 for the good guys tonight.

Go Oilers!

243fa199ff6efc362bf29a17e950b47e
Bingofuel is the handsome cyborg who pulls all the levers behind the curtains of the OilersNation. When he isn't running the site, he's plugged into a wall socket, recharging. Or Brownlee and Wanye are playing "keep away" with him. He gets little to no respect.
#1 Hemmertime
November 28 2009, 03:58PM

I think loss, but...

Oilers 3 Canucks 2 Goals by Penner, Brule, Visnovsky

#2 SirFozz
November 28 2009, 04:00PM

GO(fortaylorhall)OILERS!!!

#3 Woogie
November 28 2009, 04:00PM

Don't worry. Now with Nilsson back he can replace Hemsky on the wing.

***Bangs his head on the desk

What more could the hockey gods do to this team?

#4 sitting-at-my-desk
November 28 2009, 04:06PM

we lose 4-1.. season is over,only penner is producing offensively.... cant wait til nest season ( please prove me wrong)..

#5 sitting-at-my-desk
November 28 2009, 04:07PM

I mean next ***damn edit button***

#6 Jasmine
November 28 2009, 04:07PM

TSN is wrong. The Oilers currently have 9 players injured and they've missed 155 man-games to injury. It's on the Oilers website.

#7 Tha Legion
November 28 2009, 04:13PM

Come on!!!!!!!!!

#8 rubbertrout
November 28 2009, 04:22PM

Game Day Prediction: Copper and Blue 5-3 with an empty netter. Cogs, Brule, Teen Wolf (I'm stealing that from Scientist), Penner and thecaptainethanmoreau scoring

Obvious Game Day Prediction: I will utter the words "Kevin Weekes is terrible" at least 7 times over the course of the HNIC broadcast. The over under on me saying "is that actually a 26 button double breasted suit jacket?" is 4.5.

Not So Obvious Game Day Predicition: Big Sexy will be minus 5. How is that possible when the'nucks only score three? Souray will pull the puck out of the net and put it in a second time twice and the statisticians will not be sure how to react. Thankfully he will also get 8 PIMS so I won't pull him from my fantasy league despite the ass kicking he has given me thus far.

Bonus Grey Cup Not So Obvious Game Day Predicition: Gregor will wake up to find himself in a darkened alley with an extremely large headache covered in watermelon debris.

Come on boys make me dare to dream

#9 Hoodlum
November 28 2009, 04:36PM

Say what you want....Nothing has been right in Oilerland since that fateful March afternoon when Smytty was traded. Boston Red Sox had thr curse of the bambino...we have the curse of Smytty. We lost our heart that day my friends, and we have never managed to regain it. Sure we've seen glimpses, we know the team this team COULD BE, but when it's all said and with or without Hemmer, he never brought to the team what Ryan Smyth did game in and game out. Hemsky being out is just another kick in the balls by the hockey gods, and try as he might, Tambo just can't compete with those spiteful gods. (on knees, looking to the skies cursing the gods with two fists in the air)

#10 Robin Brownlee
November 28 2009, 04:53PM

Oilers jet crashes on the way to Vancouver. Everybody except Joey Moss, Steve Staios, Tom Gilbert, Taylor Chorney, Devan Dubnyk, Robert Nilsson, Ladislav Smid, Patrick O'Sullivan and Pat Quinn is killed or hospitalized. Oilers lose Staios when he slips in the shower after the morning skate and dislocates his spine. The Canucks have won 42 straight and outscored opponents 199-6 in that span.

Typical ON Oilers Game Day Prediction: Moss with a pair of goals, Smid with the winner and Dubnyk with 77 saves in a big 4-3 win for the boys. GoOilers.

I'm thinking somebody should zip up the bag and toss it in the van before the corpse starts to stink and the True Believers are begging that we zap the stiffs with the paddles one more time, just in case . . .

#11 Oiler in Purgatory
November 28 2009, 04:59PM

Go Oilers! 4-2 over the 'Nucks... Go 'Riders! 30-27 over the Als on a last second FG... (I'm stuck in Toronto but still bleed Orange & Blue - it wasn't 'Copper' in the 80s - and Green & White... Regina hardcore!)

#12 Librarian Mike
November 28 2009, 05:07PM

@Robin Brownlee

I really like that Joey Moss kid, but I'm worried about his attitude in practice...

#13 Matt Henderson
November 28 2009, 05:08PM

@Robin Brownlee

For all I know that plane has already crashed and we've been watching a Weekend at Bernie's type scenario play out for the last 2 weeks.

#14 Colin
November 28 2009, 05:13PM

Season = Over.

With only Penner, Smid and Vishnovsky giving consistant efforts and the injuries the season is over. Can we begin a proper rebuild this time?

#15 jeanshorts
November 28 2009, 05:17PM

@Matt Henderson

What if we were the ones on the plane and we all died, and all of this has just been a really horrible purgatory????

I can't wait for Lost to start up again!

#16 Matt Henderson
November 28 2009, 05:20PM
jeanshorts wrote:

I can't wait for Lost to start up again!

Do we have to re-name Rexall "The Hatch"?

#17 Librarian Mike
November 28 2009, 05:30PM

@jeanshorts

I'm still kind of hoping that Chris F@@king Pronger will wake up, and it's still June 18, 2006. He turns to his wife:

CFP: Honey. You're not going to believe the dream I just had. You hated it here in Edmonton so I forced a trade, and the team just went to sh!t after that.

CFPW: Oh Chris. That's a ridiculous dream. I love it here. Now go back to sleep so you're rested up for game 7.

*single tear runs down face*

#18 Matt Henderson
November 28 2009, 05:34PM

@Librarian Mike

*wipes single tear from LM's face with a tissue made from the Ryan Smyth for Robert Nilsson trade proposal penned by Kevin Lowe*

#19 Kaiser Wilhelm
November 28 2009, 05:45PM

Taylor Hall would look awful good in Oilers silks.

#20 Senator Theo
November 28 2009, 05:46PM

I'm dressed up like Jimmy Buffett for a themed Christmas party so I'll miss the game, but i predict an Oilers victory.

4-2, with Gagner and Cogs snapping slumps.

#21 rubbertrout
November 28 2009, 05:48PM

@Robin Brownlee

You can't just let me dare to dream can you? Damn you and your rational well thought out analysis.

Let me hope above hope that the boys will make me proud just like that crazy group of rapscallions that we saw in 2006.

i know that my blind faith and hope makes me an idiot but it also makes me a fan that bleeds the copper and blue.

I'm now amending my prediction and saying that Smid gets a hat-trick. No beer bets on this one Gregor because it is based on nothing but my love of these pricks that can't seem to do anything right.

Next week on Brownlee's irritants. Idiot commenters and their stupid predictions. . .

GOilers.

#22 Librarian Mike
November 28 2009, 05:58PM
Senator Theo wrote:

4-2, with Gagner and Cogs snapping slumps.

I'm starting to wonder if Quinn's going to show up for the game on the 23rd against the Wild dressed the same way.

"Yeah, I'm going down to Mexico for a few weeks. I left Bucky in charge, so talk to him if you have any questions."

#23 Harlie
November 28 2009, 06:07PM

here's a crazy thought. Why don't we trade Penner while he is hot?

#24 Robin Brownlee
November 28 2009, 06:11PM

@rubbertrout

Irritants? Never.

There is far too much Grade-A material for me in the ongoing refusal by Oilers fans to admit it's over, and was before it started. I value each and every dogged declaration from your Kool-Aid stained lips that "we shall overcome" no matter how ridiculous the thought.

It's like watching Rodney King eat size 13s, nightsticks and flashflights from the LAPD, only in this stomping, King is an Oilers fan and after every kick in the nuts and shot of mace in the yap he's yelling, "That all you got, motherf*cker? Bring it on. You got nothing, Jack . . . "

It writes itself.

#25 Rigger
November 28 2009, 06:11PM

@Senator Theo

I hope you're right. Those two boys need a goal to get something going. On the plus side, Gagner seems to do well against the Canucks. Maybe it's because daddy is watching.

#26 Shifty203
November 28 2009, 06:18PM

Go oilers!!!!!

Anyone read eklund tonight? It's good for a laugh. He's really got the creativity flowin tonight.

#27 dragon
November 28 2009, 06:38PM
Harlie wrote:

here's a crazy thought. Why don't we trade Penner while he is hot?

oh yeah?

how about trading Hemsky while he's under for the surgery?

buhahahhhahaha

#28 The Real Scuba Steve
November 28 2009, 06:40PM
Harlie wrote:

here's a crazy thought. Why don't we trade Penner while he is hot?

I thinking that, his stock has risen but what happens if we trade him and becomes the next Rick Nash for some other team.

#29 jeanshorts
November 28 2009, 06:41PM

No matter how mediocre Kevin Weekes is, and believe me, he is, I'll take him over Cassie Campbell any day of the week. Dear lord she's bad.

And what the hell is going on in Columbus tonight? Did I get in an accident last night or something and wake up in March? I love the energy but man does it ever look like a playoff game.

#30 DangerMan
November 28 2009, 06:50PM

Hmm, I guess I'm the only one around here who enjoyed last night's game. They actually worked hard and pressured the puck all over the ice. To me, thats a positive compared to the schlock I have been watching for the last three years.

Minus a couple of brain farts at the end of the game by some unnamed vets (Souray and Staios) I thought the team took a step forward in terms of how they need to play. They just need to work on some technical things and hockey smarts, or just weed out the dumb.

Sure, they might look like an expansion team right now, but this type of hockey is more watchable then watching the young and the useless.

Here's to hoping they keep the pressure up again tonight, but I'm worried about JDD if he gets the start tonight.

#31 rubbertrout
November 28 2009, 07:11PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Irritants? Never.

It writes itself.

Next week in Brownlee's bread and butter columns "Idiot commenters and their stupid predictions. . ."

GOilers.

Come on Smiddy get the hatty for me!

#32 Heatly
November 28 2009, 07:19PM

Not good news for the Oil but I will cheer to the last game of the season.

Oilers 4 Canuks 2

#33 deepoil
November 28 2009, 07:30PM
Hoodlum wrote:

Oilers and Smyth's agent did not communicate and ended up with an accidental divorce, who knows if it was $100k or the suite at Rexall that was the dealbreaker..... Too bad, it was a great day when Ryan and his wife donated $50K to the Stollery at the Tee for Tot's Golf Tournament..... ironically hosted by the former GM, now removed and promoted to DOHO. To me we lost a gritty leader when 94 was sent packing, this week we lost a point a game player, but not a leader, just someone that rocks the boat and crys to the media when things are not going his way, with no mustard when push comes to shove..... Note to the OIL, tanking and finishing 9th will result in more mediocrity. Follow the Quinn model of the Chicago culture, finish last for three years, wait out the 5 year Horcoff debacle of a second line centre earning first line dollars (5 years to go)and rebuild with a new team and a new building......seems to me that the waiting list for season tickets will start to dwindle, there is trouble in the heartland of hockey, as sponsors will walk away from a perpetual loser - translation - Katz' backers from New Jersey will see more losses....

#34 deepoil
November 28 2009, 07:42PM

CBC has really dropped the ball, I mean puck here.... Campbell tries so hard, but what appeal does she have except to female hockey players of a certain sexual persuasion. I believe I can speak for most males, and most straight females, that we are bored to death of her...... she has a great body for radio.

Sex sells, CBC lost out to real tv money....in the USA such as FOX, when they scooped up Hamilton babe Jilliane Barberie -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jillian_Barberie

Idiots - could someone at the CBC see that a "Canadian Erin Andrews type" is just a scouting report away..... I know Sportsnet Ivanka earns an honorable mention, but there is a difference between a second line centre and first line centre.....right....

Kevin Weekes is just another goalie affirmative action program - where Garrett is the head of NHL color commentary hirings for CBC and Sportsnet..... rule number one - you have to had to play goal for consideration.

#35 Matt Henderson
November 28 2009, 08:16PM

Boooooooooooooooooooooo

#36 David S
November 28 2009, 08:17PM

So uhhh...when do we get Khabby back?

#37 Matt Henderson
November 28 2009, 08:19PM

Double booooooooooooooooooooooo

#38 Matt Henderson
November 28 2009, 08:20PM

So Staios decided to take a break in the defensive zone? Was that Union mandated?

#39 Brandon
November 28 2009, 08:21PM

@David S

with our luck he will require surgury

#40 David S

#43 Matt Henderson
November 28 2009, 08:24PM

Nice screen Staios!!

#44 jeanshorts
November 28 2009, 08:25PM

WE WANT JUNG!

It's going to be a long night fellas.

Bring on Taylor Hall!

Jesus man what is Staios in the last 2 games now? Minus 7?

Brutal.

And once again Canuck fans with the ever classy "Oilers Suck" chant rather than cheering their own team.

#45 The Real Scuba Steve
November 28 2009, 08:25PM

It's 3 to 0 with 5 mins in, it's going to be a long night.

#46 jeanshorts
November 28 2009, 08:25PM

What do we have so far, one shot?

#47 Harlie
November 28 2009, 08:26PM

this is gonna get ugly.

#48 Matt Henderson
November 28 2009, 08:26PM

STOP! STOP!...He's Already Dead

#49 Brandon
November 28 2009, 08:27PM

Well it was nice knowing ya POS, Taylor Hall, how ya doin?

#50 jeanshorts
November 28 2009, 08:28PM

The worst thing is, as bad as the Oilers are, the Canucks are not nearly this good. But we are making them look like the Hawks right now.

Pretty sure this game is going off after the first period. At least I just stocked up on plenty of BC's finest to help blank this garbage from my memory banks.