Oilers vs. Canucks Postgame: Shooter Tutors

Jonathan Willis
November 29 2009 12:46AM

Vancouver Canucks: 7

Edmonton Oilers: 3

Remember shooter tutors?  Well, for good portions of the night the inexperienced tandem of Jeff Deslauriers and Devan Dubnyk eerily resembled shooter tutors; not so much along the ice but certainly over the shoulders.  It's been Deslauriers' weak spot for the last while and it was hard to watch the Canucks tonight and not think they'd been told to aim for the corners.

Random Thoughts

Jeff Deslauriers said after the game that the loss was on him, that he cost the team the game.  While he certainly wasn't sharp, I'm going to agree with Pat Quinn, who appreciated the gesture but acknowledged that it was a team loss.

Not many things can make me grin ear-to-ear when the Oilers are down 5-1, but Colin McDonald's first career goal was one of them.  It was a beautiful shot on a quality goaltender, and after years of hearing Kevin Prendergast talk about McDonald's shot being one of his greatest assets it was nice to see it at the NHL level.  I also liked seeing Ryan O'Marra's reaction (aside: the assist was O'Marra's first NHL point) to McDonald's goal; he seemed almost as thrilled as his teammate.  They were linemates in Springfield, and it was great to see that bond.  While I'm at it, I should acknowledge the fourth line was tremendous; it's easy to see why Rob Daum's been raving about both McDonald and O'Marra, and Stortini's found a comfort level with them.

I get the feeling it's going to be important to find things like that to focus on as this season continues.

The penalty kill was probably the worst part of the Oilers' game tonight, and that's on the veterans.  Speaking of veterans, Souray, Staios and the one-armed ghost of Shawn Horcoff all struggled for (at least) the second straight game.  Tom Renney switched to a Gilbert/Souray pairing in the third which should help, although that leaves Staios and Strudwick paired together and their track record isn't encouraging.  As for Horcoff, he had a couple of good shifts but for the most part didn't  handle the puck well at all, and it seems like he's in the right spots but can't fight the physical battles.

Brule and Penner both had a nice game offensively, and looked very smooth on the power play.  The only bad news about Brule (from an Oilers' perspective) stepping up to help carry the offence is that he's a free agent after this season; he could very well use this opportunity to earn a payday that wouldn't be coming otherwise.  That caveat aside, it's nice to see a player who struggled for so many years start to turn a corner.

I've been picking on Andrew Cogliano a fair bit this year, but he certainly seems to have come around (Moreau too, for that matter).  Ryan Potulny probably matches up a little better to those linemates than Zack Stortini did, and I'm sure that's part of it (as is having Cogliano play wing) but both players deserve a ton of credit.  It's also a treat to watch Cogliano's combative nature; he has been very involved in that department the last few games. 

 

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#1 jake
November 29 2009, 12:53AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I thought the comeback was in order, not to be though. JDD's penalty was a turning point in the game to me.

Avatar
#2 Charlie N64
November 29 2009, 12:58AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I thought Brule was RFA

Avatar
#3 jave_911
November 29 2009, 12:59AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

think we'll be able to finish the season ahead of the Leafs? 3 more games played and only 5 points up! kinda depressing and brings into reality just how bad this team is.

Avatar
#4 Travis Dakin
November 29 2009, 01:11AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I really wish that Horcoff would just pack it in and get the surgery done too. He needs it and the team really needs the dive for five. BAD.

In case anyone isn't aware, the Oilers now sit in 26th. Only 9 points up an Carolina. Go team!

Avatar
#5 Pat Mc
November 29 2009, 07:32AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Charlie N64 wrote:

I thought Brule was RFA

He is Charlie but if he has a very good season he will get paid. As will Gagner, Cogliano and Grebeshkov, all RFAs.

We might see an offer sheet from somewhere. On top of being really crappy this club is also right up against the cap for next year unless they start moving contracts.

Its bad.

Avatar
#6 DonDon
November 29 2009, 08:37AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

For the first contract to be moved, I vote that Katz moves Tambellini's. Tambellini inherited cap purgatory and hasn't taken steps to fix it and due to his fatal fixation on Heatley the club didn't pick up some needy and inexpensive FAs. Ironic that some the players from the present team the Oilers need to build on are mostly RFAs and the club may not be able to afford them due to lack of cap space. And yes, I too hope that Horcoff gets whatever surgery he requires now that the season is a lost cause. Although I am not a fan of Mike Millbury, he is right on the mark about the Oilers cleaning out the "rats". Rats and deadwood in preparation for 2010-2011.

Avatar
#7 Milli
November 29 2009, 08:40AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

yep, badbadbad. Souray and staios have turned into a disaster, Horcoff looks terible, It's gettin ugly round here.

Avatar
#8 PattQuinn'sChesthair
November 29 2009, 08:54AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Travis Dakin

I was thinking the same thing watching Horc's performance last night. I really don't see it as a loss having him out of the line up for the rest of the year considering the Oilers place in the standings - with or without him they have been pretty lackluster. The money saved on the cap (if he were gone for the year) would allow them to trade (insert your own goat here) for a stop gap player for this year to take faceoffs and a some picks for next year. A top three pick in the draft is starting to look like a realistic goal at this point. And please don't tell me its early with lots of hockey left to play, to reach 90 points the Oil would have to have a 600 record or better for the rest of the year. That's just to get 90, which probably won't be enough to get in the post-season.

I didn't want to be writing this kind of post this year, especially given how Penner's play has improved so much and that the Wall played pretty well, but I just don't see enough other players doing or having what it takes to win. Cmon Tambo, kick some ass already and blow this sh1t up.

Avatar
#9 roughneck
November 29 2009, 09:06AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

the oilers got a modified version of the shooter tutor, it has no corners, just a crest.

~how about sams celebration?~

*hides head in shame*

Avatar
#10 Dan the Man
November 29 2009, 09:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Any thoughts on Dubnyk's first game JW?

I'm not sure exactly what Horcoff's injury is but it's obvious that it's getting worse, he needs rest or surgery or something. There really isn't mush point keeping him in the line up at this point.

Avatar
#11 Wanye
November 29 2009, 09:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Dubnyk looked positively mystified after two of those goals. I can't believe what this season is coming to so quickly. UGH

*smashes computer in frustration*

Avatar
#12 SirFozz
November 29 2009, 09:49AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Agreed on Horcoff. If he is going to need surgery in the future, speculation, do it now. Maybe they'll get some sort of discount for buying in bulk. Playoffs were iffy at the start of the season, now, well, I'll keep cheering anyway. The question Tambo really should be asking himself now is...taylor or tyler. It's going to be a long year. I'm looking for small positives now too- SNL replayed the show with Shakira performing last night, that was good!

Avatar
#13 deepoil
November 29 2009, 10:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
DonDon wrote:

For the first contract to be moved, I vote that Katz moves Tambellini's. Tambellini inherited cap purgatory and hasn't taken steps to fix it and due to his fatal fixation on Heatley the club didn't pick up some needy and inexpensive FAs. Ironic that some the players from the present team the Oilers need to build on are mostly RFAs and the club may not be able to afford them due to lack of cap space. And yes, I too hope that Horcoff gets whatever surgery he requires now that the season is a lost cause. Although I am not a fan of Mike Millbury, he is right on the mark about the Oilers cleaning out the "rats". Rats and deadwood in preparation for 2010-2011.

Intereseting that Lowe is ommitted in this rant, where Gm's have as much power, as Katz' Rexall has over H1N1 (see later post where the flames are healthy) I am smirking now that all these bandwagon jumpers are saying to tank the season, with Jim Matheson indirectly promoting this with his rally cry article, putting this out there, quoting the Oiler faithful and not providing an actual opinion from himself (getting blackballed from the lockeroom is not good for business).... with Lowe's long term contract debacles, Quinn quoting Chicago culture - all these jumpers need to remember it will be 4 - 5 years of lottery picks to equal the BLACKHAWKS current culture.

If you listen to the audio archive on Ched post game after 11pm - Tencer and Brown are puppets feeding corporate BS, trying the find the good in this debacle after the injuries and the flu that could of been prevented (see flames). I am sure that Alan Watt was standing over them, making sure that the correct words were being presented.

And by the way BOB, the oilers do not have to be better, (bob lite rexall speak for they really suck now that he earns a paycheque from the dark side)..... they have to be worse and one year of lottery is a band aid approach, 3 years of finishing last is the chemo to this cancer patient, while waiting for the 5 year horcoff debacle financially to evaporate....

So, all the jumpers out there, when the seasons tickets come up for renewal.... who is reaching into their pocket and supporting this $200 million toy...... holy debacle batman. Unfortunately, I will still renew my corporate tickets on a 50% share, as clients still like an entertaining evening out......

This team has been bad for a more than season (LOL).... and now the jumpers are trying to rationalize the losses with the HOPES of a lottery pick..... something tells me that the OIL aren't smart enough to even get that right, so they will pull out the MORON playbook and finish 9th.

Oilers rule this town, as the media wait with baited breath, trying to get the skinny on the only game in town, even if it is at best a .370 club... MORONS stick together you know, with Lowes buddy Burke facing the same pressure across the conference, maybe Lowe can't hear the outcry from the fans with all the ringing in his ear from the cups and the vertigo.

Summary.....

Katz - did not procure H1N1 vaccine for his team, resulted in massive casualties, available via jumping the provincial que - see flames position in standings, or possibly via his financial backers McKesson through the manufacturer - GlaxoSmithKline - call it an industrial courtesy favor - but then again the leafs got the shots and they are in the position as the Oil.

LaForge - arena tease - more talk than action, scared that page 6 graham hicks will scoop him on his own info, profiles himself after the Iraqui Minister of Information.

Lowe - contract debacle - contract almanac says no playoffs for the next 3 years.

Tambellini - big bad wolf - all hot air, let's face it no trades until March - then it's a Titanic buffet.

Quinn - Renney - pass - how can you fault their professionalism.

Players - either flu, injured, not into it, or just plain overpaid and underskilled - no value here - this is a money pit gone bad.

Seems this is not a good time to discuss a new building, where Katz has alleged putting up $100mm when he already has a mortgage of $100mm on the team, and one on his house for $24mm - hmmm.... seems like a lot of borrowing for an alleged billionaire Mr. Boots DelBagio, I mean Batman.

Oh well, at least Edmonton has curling in December - ROCK ON.

Avatar
#14 Racki
November 29 2009, 10:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Charlie N64 wrote:

I thought Brule was RFA

He is.

JW in his article states that he is a free agent, which neither implies restricted or unrestricted free agent.

But whether he's RFA or UFA, Brule's agent still has some bargaining power.

Grebeshkov got a big pay raise for this year's contract, and he'll still be RFA when it ends.

If he hadn't have looked so good this year, I'd say Brule would maybe get a raise to 1M if he were lucky. At this point now, I would guess he'd be trying to settle on at least Nilsson money, probably more. Our team has to stop paying for 1 year performances though, so they better not fall into that trap again.

Avatar
#15 Zamboni Driver
November 29 2009, 10:28AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

You know what....other than the H1N1 conspiracy nonsense....

I pretty much agree with deepoil across the board.

Avatar
#16 GSC
November 29 2009, 10:31AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I know Horcoff is injured, but he needs to be held accountable. It's his decision to dress, and when a player dresses you can only assume that he's healthy enough to play.

Horcoff having a bum arm/shoulder does not excuse his play.

Avatar
#17 Dave
November 29 2009, 10:32AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Dive for 5. Use the pick to grab a young ubertalent with great leadership qualities. Hopefully he grabs this team by the throat and becomes so popular his cache can be used to attract other talent to Edmonton. Dismiss the coaching staff and insert a puppet chosen by the players as coaching has become redundant in Edmonton.

Avatar
#18 -30-
November 29 2009, 10:36AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

If this is part of the master plan to get Edmontonians behind public support of a new hockey arena, it is in a word, ah, err, masterful.

Spend to the cap. Leave yourself no maneuvering room. Remain stuck in mediocrity so that you neither make the playoffs or are able to get great drafts.

Retain the hockey genius of Kevin Lowe who has proven himself a better talker than doer.

Absolute genius. Sign me up to pay my taxes, civic and provincial to a new arena when hospital beds are closing and the mentally ill are being put on the streets.

-30-

Avatar
#19 freeze
November 29 2009, 10:52AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

This is going to get worse before it gets better.

Avatar
#20 Travis Dakin
November 29 2009, 10:59AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
deepoil wrote:

Intereseting that Lowe is ommitted in this rant, where Gm's have as much power, as Katz' Rexall has over H1N1 (see later post where the flames are healthy) I am smirking now that all these bandwagon jumpers are saying to tank the season, with Jim Matheson indirectly promoting this with his rally cry article, putting this out there, quoting the Oiler faithful and not providing an actual opinion from himself (getting blackballed from the lockeroom is not good for business).... with Lowe's long term contract debacles, Quinn quoting Chicago culture - all these jumpers need to remember it will be 4 - 5 years of lottery picks to equal the BLACKHAWKS current culture.

If you listen to the audio archive on Ched post game after 11pm - Tencer and Brown are puppets feeding corporate BS, trying the find the good in this debacle after the injuries and the flu that could of been prevented (see flames). I am sure that Alan Watt was standing over them, making sure that the correct words were being presented.

And by the way BOB, the oilers do not have to be better, (bob lite rexall speak for they really suck now that he earns a paycheque from the dark side)..... they have to be worse and one year of lottery is a band aid approach, 3 years of finishing last is the chemo to this cancer patient, while waiting for the 5 year horcoff debacle financially to evaporate....

So, all the jumpers out there, when the seasons tickets come up for renewal.... who is reaching into their pocket and supporting this $200 million toy...... holy debacle batman. Unfortunately, I will still renew my corporate tickets on a 50% share, as clients still like an entertaining evening out......

This team has been bad for a more than season (LOL).... and now the jumpers are trying to rationalize the losses with the HOPES of a lottery pick..... something tells me that the OIL aren't smart enough to even get that right, so they will pull out the MORON playbook and finish 9th.

Oilers rule this town, as the media wait with baited breath, trying to get the skinny on the only game in town, even if it is at best a .370 club... MORONS stick together you know, with Lowes buddy Burke facing the same pressure across the conference, maybe Lowe can't hear the outcry from the fans with all the ringing in his ear from the cups and the vertigo.

Summary.....

Katz - did not procure H1N1 vaccine for his team, resulted in massive casualties, available via jumping the provincial que - see flames position in standings, or possibly via his financial backers McKesson through the manufacturer - GlaxoSmithKline - call it an industrial courtesy favor - but then again the leafs got the shots and they are in the position as the Oil.

LaForge - arena tease - more talk than action, scared that page 6 graham hicks will scoop him on his own info, profiles himself after the Iraqui Minister of Information.

Lowe - contract debacle - contract almanac says no playoffs for the next 3 years.

Tambellini - big bad wolf - all hot air, let's face it no trades until March - then it's a Titanic buffet.

Quinn - Renney - pass - how can you fault their professionalism.

Players - either flu, injured, not into it, or just plain overpaid and underskilled - no value here - this is a money pit gone bad.

Seems this is not a good time to discuss a new building, where Katz has alleged putting up $100mm when he already has a mortgage of $100mm on the team, and one on his house for $24mm - hmmm.... seems like a lot of borrowing for an alleged billionaire Mr. Boots DelBagio, I mean Batman.

Oh well, at least Edmonton has curling in December - ROCK ON.

It's not bandwagon jumping if you are still cheering for the team... even if you are cheering for them to lose. It wouldn't take five years of picks because the team already has a lot of good prospects and a decent core to properly build around. Obviously We would prefer that the team be good now but they aren't. Hoping for a first round playoff asskicking is dumb. The team that wasn't put together very well in the first place has been handed a number of crushing blows this year. It's time to stop striving for mediocrity and properly fix this thing. A top 5 draft pick is will really help that along.

Still cheering.....

Avatar
#21 Rogue
November 29 2009, 11:00AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Man, I hate to pack it in this early,but I am afraid...very afraid. From my point of view, from this point forward, I am just watching to see who has improved as players. You might as well run with the kids and hope for next year and a high draft pick. Horc may as well get healthy, because he is not even close to a 2nd. line center, let alone a 1st. Tambolowe may need to gut this team if things continue.Question is, will management continue with the smoke and mirror show or do what must be done.

Avatar
#22 Librarian Mike
November 29 2009, 11:00AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
freeze wrote:

This is going to get worse before it gets better.

Maybe that should be the team's slogan for next season.

This run of the last few years is almost more depressing than the early/mid 90s team. At least with that team, they were just terrible. With these guys, you can see the talent and potential not being realized.

Avatar
#23 6 ring circus
November 29 2009, 11:00AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I was just wondering, should I give away my play off tickets the Oilers included with my season tickets at the start of the season?

Avatar
#24 6 ring circus
November 29 2009, 11:02AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

The way this team and organization is going watch them screw up the lottery pick or worse trade it away for nothing.

Avatar
#25 Milli
November 29 2009, 11:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I'd like to see Quinn be the Gm and coach. I refuse to blamr tambo, as he is saddled with horibble contracts, BUT.....If you want to compare us to the Douche bag Maple leafs and Loud mouth Burke (who I think is a brutal GM) has at least positioned himself to have a ton of cap space at seasons end, enabling him to re-stock. Now I'm sure he'll Fork it up, but at least he ain't stuck at the cap. I like Quinn's honesty, and, it's pretty obvious, he's right, we are lacking intrue NHL talent. We can win some here and there, but, more often than not, we are outplayed. Tambo's wait and see, no reasonable trades, on and on....Well guess what, we have waited to see, new coach, same results, guess what????

Avatar
#26 Milli
November 29 2009, 11:10AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Ps. any update on Khabby?

Avatar
#27 deepoil
November 29 2009, 11:16AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Racki wrote:

He is.

JW in his article states that he is a free agent, which neither implies restricted or unrestricted free agent.

But whether he's RFA or UFA, Brule's agent still has some bargaining power.

Grebeshkov got a big pay raise for this year's contract, and he'll still be RFA when it ends.

If he hadn't have looked so good this year, I'd say Brule would maybe get a raise to 1M if he were lucky. At this point now, I would guess he'd be trying to settle on at least Nilsson money, probably more. Our team has to stop paying for 1 year performances though, so they better not fall into that trap again.

Brule is an RFA - according to nhlnumbers.com next year - sorry no conspiracy here, just an emerging player with great contract value, unlike Hemsky, as he nears $4 and $5 million for a point a game.... when he is not complaining to the media and then crapping the bed, as per MACT last year - deep oil has a very long memory - Hemmer is all passenger - not leader, trade him when you can for picks during this JIM MATHESON blow it up lotery rally time period. I wish a hall of fame reporter like Matty would of had an opinion in this column, rather than this trial baloon crap, of relating the temperature of OILER NAION - in short - WEAK.

Avatar
#28 deepoil
November 29 2009, 11:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Culture Dakin, Culture - read my lips as per Quinn, I can't see a Hawks team until the passengers are gone and the debacle contracts have run their course, that is a minimum 4 years if the Oilers can follow PITT, HAWKS, and possibly the Islanders. There is no law against cheering for this loser team, but you have to wonder if Tambellini just wanted the title of GM, noting his hands were tied with all this long term boat anchors.

Avatar
#29 freeze
November 29 2009, 11:26AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@deepoil

The arena talk will stay quiet until after the next mayoral election (next year?). No politician in the city would hang themselves on that issue during a campaign. Whoever wins will likely warm to the idea once in, or returning, to office. I have no doubt that Edmontonians will pay for a sizable share in a new ice palace.

Avatar
#30 deepoil
November 29 2009, 11:29AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@oilerseasonticketholder99 - re: playoff tickets

No - don't give them away - they are quite valuable - McDonalds are taking them in on trade for all Oiler trading cards, at a 2 tickets, for one card exchange. No word if Cogliano or Gagner will appear at the Golden arches to sign them for $20 as of yet.... story developing, possible post intra sqaud game for all season ticket holders held at the Katz house rink with free hot chocolate.

Avatar
#31 Jarrett
November 29 2009, 11:29AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

The Oilers needed to press more R1, maybe the controller is broken.

Avatar
#32 Sandra
November 29 2009, 11:37AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Too bad Oilers Nation can't take over the Oilers web site, None of the links really ever work, The Oilers vrs the Hawks in Vancouver?. It's been as pathetic as the Oielrs players on ice, and lets not foret about Horcapp. Desjarlais is done, he will get one more start, then the big Dubby will see what he can do. Tambil should take a page out of Rutherfords book and start threating players with waivers.It has been so pathetic to watch the veterans play, where they keep on thinking MacT will be back. Start offering Gagner and Coglino around the league or to Boston for the 1st pick that Burke gave up. What is Nillson still doing here?

Avatar
#33 Eric Johnson
November 29 2009, 11:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

You know what's scary guys? I just got called up.

Avatar
#34 Brandon
November 29 2009, 12:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Anyone else remember hearing the following from Tambi after he fired MacT?

"New expectations"

"New discipline"

"because we are changing our coach and moving forward this does not absolve the players from their performance or lack there of"

"do we need to address our personnel? Obviously we do"

Avatar
#35 OilBaron
November 29 2009, 12:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Clearly Brule isn't a favorite of Willis. It's the second straight blog taking shots at the slightest most trivial thing about Brule's performance. Yeah it's too bad we're finding out (albeit early to say) that possibly Brule will be in for a bit of a payday because he's capable of filling the role of an offensive center. It's not like he's going to get a 6 year, 5.5 million dollar cap hit front loaded at 7 million.

Avatar
#36 Deep Oil
November 29 2009, 12:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OilBaron wrote:

Clearly Brule isn't a favorite of Willis. It's the second straight blog taking shots at the slightest most trivial thing about Brule's performance. Yeah it's too bad we're finding out (albeit early to say) that possibly Brule will be in for a bit of a payday because he's capable of filling the role of an offensive center. It's not like he's going to get a 6 year, 5.5 million dollar cap hit front loaded at 7 million.

If Brule starts working out with Katz downtown at BBB, then simple math equates that he will get at least what Horcoff got.....

Avatar
#37 DonDon
November 29 2009, 12:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Jumpers? Deepoil, who are you calling jumpers? When Tambellini fired MacT and made his announcement alluding to major changes, not every poster jumped on the bandwagon or drank the Koolade. Before the season started, there were some wild-eyed optimists but also grumpy pessimists. Guess who have jumped ship (can you blame them). Being one of the many grumpy pessimists, I even had my doubts about Quinn and Renney (got berated from Brownlee) but hoped I was wrong. Yes, Lowe deserves much of the blame for this sorry team, but Tambellini presented the image as being the new guy in charge and identified areas that needed to be fixed. Unfortunately, his brain paralyzed over the Heatley non-trade and there were no moves whatsoever to begin cleaning up the mess over too many contracts, no cap space, lack of chemistry, questionable leadership in the dressing room, small forwards not strong on the puck, inadequate PK, an overall lack of NHL talent, etc etc. As to how long it will take to make the team into a contender, with the right management and good drafting, shorter than you may think if the cleanup starts now.

Avatar
#38 deepoil
November 29 2009, 01:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
DonDon wrote:

Jumpers? Deepoil, who are you calling jumpers? When Tambellini fired MacT and made his announcement alluding to major changes, not every poster jumped on the bandwagon or drank the Koolade. Before the season started, there were some wild-eyed optimists but also grumpy pessimists. Guess who have jumped ship (can you blame them). Being one of the many grumpy pessimists, I even had my doubts about Quinn and Renney (got berated from Brownlee) but hoped I was wrong. Yes, Lowe deserves much of the blame for this sorry team, but Tambellini presented the image as being the new guy in charge and identified areas that needed to be fixed. Unfortunately, his brain paralyzed over the Heatley non-trade and there were no moves whatsoever to begin cleaning up the mess over too many contracts, no cap space, lack of chemistry, questionable leadership in the dressing room, small forwards not strong on the puck, inadequate PK, an overall lack of NHL talent, etc etc. As to how long it will take to make the team into a contender, with the right management and good drafting, shorter than you may think if the cleanup starts now.

I meant JUMPING ON THE LOTTERY BANDWAGON..... not off the goodship oiler. As many readers are now coming to grips, that this team has been incomptent longer than most would admit.

It has been 90% an Oiler love in here on this site, with me taking all this BS for spouting the hiding in plain sight truth, and now when judgment day comes around, I see all this rationalization of lottery picks with no accountability on how the team got here....... Lowe signed these players, longer than one year.... would anyone on Oiler Nation sign Nillson while MacT is benching the kid - stating he has no work ethic, how about horcoff playing footsies with Katz, now we have a 4 year contract with Bad Back Khabi heading to 41 years old?????, when Rollie was too old and too slow, anyone see the Leafs game when this warhorse turned away 58 shots.. Lowe - Tambo could of had Rollie for two years for less money than Khabi, opening up options for JDD, Dub or even Biron in the future....can't see the forest for the tree's, now we are stuck with Khabi with limited development opportunity for whatever tender comes along, a 3.7mm backup is an expesive option.

This is about cap management and the goaltending situation is slowly developing into a debacle, and no scribe is taking Tambellini or Lowe to task on it. Khabi is out, and the old man Roloson is still at work for less cap hit - suprise suprise, even with a numbers guy (Olcyzk), they still went out and committed to $15mm at a higher liability risk. This is not Vegas, where you roll the dice and hope that the house odds, dont take you down.... or is it..... just plain stupid.

But then again, when the DOHO has a lifetime contract with the owner, sitting around watching boys on the bus, and playing shinny in the backyard, seems to be the norm, I am waiting for sponsors to start walking away from this white elephant. You will see the Oilers advertising their facebook, twitter, in house advertising company, and concert dates on the boards like they do in Glendale right now.

Avatar
#39 Rogue
November 29 2009, 01:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Re Heatley: Tambo looked bad when he let the offer stand for more than a couple of days. I think he blew his wad and hasn't come up for air yet.

Avatar
#40 Jamie B.
November 29 2009, 01:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
roughneck wrote:

the oilers got a modified version of the shooter tutor, it has no corners, just a crest.

~how about sams celebration?~

*hides head in shame*

That was bad, I agree, but I'll cut him some slack since I think it was more relief that it actually went in after all the posts and crossbars he's been hitting lately. It was pretty hilarious to watch him turn around after jumping into the glass to see Souray's deadpan face and immediately calm down. Gagner always gets fired up about goals (and not just his own), that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Of course, it ended up not even being his goal.

Avatar
#41 Tayranchula
November 29 2009, 01:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

The 4th line was maybe the best fourth line iv seen the oilers suit up this year. Mcdonald and Omarra have chemstry aleady and Stortini paired up nicely with them. I would like to see this line play together for a bit and see if it wasnt a one game fluke. Also can the Oilers please trade Cogs before his trade value and potential of being a great player takes a dive. I dont want to see cogs end up like Brule did in Columbus. Cogs could easily get something quality in return to fix the holes the oilers need.

Avatar
#42 Mike
November 29 2009, 02:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

At long last someone on this site is stepping up and telling it like it is.

Deep oil has the scoop.

Unfortunately, for all of us Oiler Junkies we put our heads in the sand or in this case the ice and allow this team to be run by a wanna be billionaire that hides behind the walls of his over priced, 110% financed house while the management team (his buddies) can;t get it right.

No vaccine???? Isn't our guy supposed to be a drug guru or something?

Long term contracts.....Lowe got high from that stanley cup run, never came down and started throwing money around like a stoned hippie that just won the lottery.

Enough said.....listen to Deep oil and you shall hear the truth and Deep oils' truths will be proven soon enough.

Avatar
#43 JackBauer
November 29 2009, 02:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Its pretty clear that this team needs to do the following.

1) Rid themselves with as much salary as they can. Whatever means neccesary to fix the cap issues this team will have for the next few years. Vancouver has done it and they have a very nice cap number right now.

2) Bottom out for a couple of years and get some top 5 draft picks that will hopefully pan out and build around them.

3) Pray.

Avatar
#44 deepoil
November 29 2009, 02:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Mike wrote:

At long last someone on this site is stepping up and telling it like it is.

Deep oil has the scoop.

Unfortunately, for all of us Oiler Junkies we put our heads in the sand or in this case the ice and allow this team to be run by a wanna be billionaire that hides behind the walls of his over priced, 110% financed house while the management team (his buddies) can;t get it right.

No vaccine???? Isn't our guy supposed to be a drug guru or something?

Long term contracts.....Lowe got high from that stanley cup run, never came down and started throwing money around like a stoned hippie that just won the lottery.

Enough said.....listen to Deep oil and you shall hear the truth and Deep oils' truths will be proven soon enough.

Sounds like Mike, has seen the light. Two people in favor of Deep Oil today, according to Dumb and Dumber, there is alway a chance.

Avatar
#45 Robin Brownlee
November 29 2009, 02:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Mike

Yes, finally somebody willing to tell it like it is. Finally, the truth. Listen to DeepOil . . . Listen, Mike, I'm all for this truth concept. I'd urge DeepOil, in the name of truth and enlightenment, to put his real name to his comments. I'd urge DeepOil, in the name of clarity, to tell us how he's come to know what he does about the business dealings of Katz and the Oilers. I'd like, in the name of telling it like it is, for DeepOil to tell us about his past relationship with the Oilers -- what it was and what it is now. Not for my benefit, because I know what and who we're dealing with here, but in the name of clarity for people who aren't as sold on the insight of DeepOil as you clearly are. In the name of clarity and truth, let's start there.

Avatar
#46 Rigger
November 29 2009, 02:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Robin Brownlee

Ha! Good catch Brownlee, I was actually wondering the same thing before I read your post.

Avatar
#47 Robin Brownlee
November 29 2009, 03:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Rigger

The same IP thing, you mean? Edited that out because it clouds what I really want to say, but I'm serious about the follow-up comment I posted. It's one thing to sit back cloaked in anonymity and hack at Katz and the Oilers and drop company names and bits of information to bolster your argument in the name of "truth."

It's another to step up and put your name to something if you're really bringing facts to light -- improper or suspect business dealings etc -- in the name of exposing what people really should be aware of.

If that's the case, let's hear the truth. But if it's a case of a personal axe to grind, a situation where somebody has an agenda based on their relationship with the target of that criticism -- the Oilers and Katz -- then the accusations, insults and innuendo can be held up as something else again.

I could out DeepOil but I won't, even if I find it galling at what's being presented as "the truth."

Avatar
#48 BarryS
November 29 2009, 03:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
deepoil wrote:

Sounds like Mike, has seen the light. Two people in favor of Deep Oil today, according to Dumb and Dumber, there is alway a chance.

couple of things really beginning to bother me.

- the amount of jealousy and envy underlying all these comments about money in hockey. Get over it, just because some people luck out in life in no reason to be jealous of them. To criticize a player for not playing well is perfectly legitemite in itself. Commentting on what he makes mear jealousy unless it is your money.

Guess what, some people are born into money, some people get money thrown at them for some talent, some through good fortune make money. The thing I like about Mr. Katz, as opposed to the other self made man who owned the team formerly, is Mr. Katz neither brags about his money nor cultivate the position he is rich because of some superior skill or insight. Well, know what happened to Mr. Pocklington's money? We know or should, the stats most atheletes are bankrupt within three years of retirement. There are two basic types in the world, those who have, and those trying to get it away from them.

The other thing part of money is all these contracts being taken out of context. Guess what, the Stanley Cup run had nothing to do with it, Edmonton's location everything. Up until last year, every team in hockey with a little money was granting rediculous contracts. Who, with a straight face,can say they objected to any of these contracts when they were signed? "CRICKETS"

The other thing which bothers me is the me two attitude which infects this site. So Calgary found a loophole about Flu shots? So what. The hardest flu to get over this year is the seasonal flu. Sure Smid got HINI, he played right through it, the Seasonal put him on his ass in bed for a few days.

The matter of Rolli is just plain two faced on the part of Site members. Anybody think he might have been part of the problem in the room and the one year offer a sop to the fans who liked him, knowing he wouldn't take it and so could be run off safely?

Now I agree the Khabbi contract seems suspect, but since I don't know the details of it, can only hope for the better.

Who cares who Mr. Katz hangs around with on the team and how much they get paid? It's his money, they're his employees and contracts are only as good as one's ability to collect. Ask the creditors of the above mentioned Mr. Pocklington. My only regret is I don't know him, could use a few bucks myself.

Avatar
#49 Rigger
November 29 2009, 03:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Robin Brownlee

I had meant the IP thing, but I've gone back and read your edit. My interest is certainly piqued after reading it all again. I agree with you though, it's easy to spout off under the guise of the internet and a phoney handle. Remains to be seen if your call will be answered. Here's hoping because I'm chewing my nails now.

Avatar
#50 JackBauer
November 29 2009, 03:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Deep Oil/Mike,

ugggg.....unreadable trash.

Comments are closed for this article.