Horcoff: How bad is it?

Robin Brownlee
November 03 2009 09:14PM

I never got near medical school, but I don't need a doctorate in medicine to know the news fans will get about Shawn Horcoff tomorrow will be bad. The only question is the degree.

While Edmonton Oilers PR man J.J. Hebert wasn't offering up any information Horcoff's status on an off-day for the team when I called him this afternoon, the way Horcoff looked as he filed into the dressing room after a 3-1 loss to the New York Islanders Monday has me convinced that he likely suffered either a separated or dislocated left shoulder on a check late in the game by Andy Sutton.

Like I said, my qualification for speculating on such matters is nothing more than I've seen that injury with players countless times before as a reporter, and I also had the bad fortune of suffering the same injury more than once in another life.

When somebody walks off with their arm folded at a 90-degree angle, like Horcoff did Monday, it's more often than not a shoulder injury. Add to that athletic therapist Ken Lowe was clearly seen working on the shoulder on the bench late in the game, and it doesn't take a vast intellect to figure it out.

Now what?

The Oilers, Hebert tells me, are expected to let us know tomorrow what Horcoff's status is. While Horcoff's critics will tell you different, it's going to be a significant blow if he's out for any length of time.

Forget the horrid start to the season Horcoff's had -- there's no getting around that -- a team already operating without their best defenceman in Sheldon Souray can ill-afford to lose its top centre.

Take Horcoff out of the middle, and you're left with Sam Gagner, Gilbert Brule, Andrew Cogliano and sometimes-pivot Patrick O'Sullivan as the Oilers centres. Oh, and there's Mike Comrie, except he's having trouble breathing right now thanks to a combination of the flu and asthma.

That's not exactly a Murderer's Row that will have the New York Rangers losing sleep going into Thursday's tilt at Rexall Place.

On a team that can't score goals to save its life, that leaves coach Pat Quinn with a team weaker down the middle than any I can remember dating back to the best-forgotten teams of the mid-1990s.

That may or may not bring GM Steve Tambellini into play in the next day or two, or at the very least necessitate a call-up from Springfield of the AHL, but we'll find out soon enough.

If it's nothing or little more than a bruised shoulder, I'll take a scolding from Lowe -- he hates amateur diagnosis, especially by reporters -- and happily be wrong. But I think not.

They're swine

I'm guessing it'll be a public relations nightmare, and rightfully so, for the Calgary Flames now that news has leaked out they jumped to the front of the line for H1N1 vaccinations.

While elderly people, children and those at greatest risk waited hours in line for the H1N1 vaccine last week, Jarome Iginla, Robyn Regehr, as well as their teammates, spouses and family members, skipped the drudgery and got their shots last Friday. Move aside, schmucks. Get out of the way, old man. Coming through.

For shame.

-- Listen to Robin Brownlee every Wednesday and Thursday from 4 to 6 p.m. on Just A Game with Jason Gregor on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#101 David S
November 04 2009, 11:26AM

I finally figured out the Oilers Nation law of inevitability:

"All blog posts will inevitably result in a comments section that can only arrive at one of three possible outcomes."

a) Shawn Horcoff's contract sucks b) Ridiculous trade ponderings that ignore the realities of the cap world c) A sword fight

So then, all I have to do is get "I'm a scientist" to do the appropriate experiments on his super computer to confirm this theory. There's gotta be some kind of journal we could publish our findings in.

Fame and fortune are only the next comments section away b!tches!

#102 Chris.
November 04 2009, 11:27AM
Offthebandwagon wrote:

Out of all of this, the thing that scares me the most (other than the possibility that the Flames might the only survivors of Captain Trips)is the notion that Tambellini might make a bandade trade that sets back the long-term development of the team. If a trade occurs to shore up a hole in the middle involving go-nowheres or has-beens, Nilson or Big Mac for example, then so be it, but if Cogs gets traded for a short term solution, then its bad news. I'd rather see the team tank without Horcoff than lose Cogs and Gilbert to pick up another second line centerman in the fional year of his contract.

News flash: Cogliano isn't really that good. Crosby and Malkin... Kane and Toews: these are elite players that you set long term team building plans around. Cogliano is a small, soft, 40 point perimeter player with some speed. I like him. He's going to be an okay NHLer... but the Oilers will never move forward with more than two really small centers who can't win faceoffs, puck battles, or establish position in the high scoring areas of the ice against real NHL D... Cogliano has proven he can be effective on the wing... and there is no room for him at center with both Gagner and Brule on the roster. Based on his play this season: it's not hard to imagine that Cogliano's stock is falling faster than enron's... why spend another twenty games showing the other 29 GM's that he can't win a draw to save his life or contribute offensively on the wing? IMO, Cogliano should have been moved last summer.

#103 Chris.
November 04 2009, 11:28AM

*edit* Cogliano has never proven he can be effective on the wing... sorry.

#104 Chris.
November 04 2009, 11:33AM

@David S

Just another quick observation: many of the same posters who are celebrating Horcoff's injury wanted to see Schremp get a chance; and were glad to see a much more skilled Nilsson replace Stone...

#105 Ogden Brother
November 04 2009, 11:46AM
Hemmercules wrote:

Keep in mind that we have absolutely no cap room. The Oilers more than likely aren't going to just sign someone like Peca without a decent salary dump first.

If Horc is on LTIR (which is were the need for a vetran center would really come from) their is plenty of cap room.

Also, waive Nilsson and *poof* the cap space problem disapears.

#106 rubbertrout
November 04 2009, 11:48AM

@Chris.

Recall that the Oilers DID try to trade Cogs over the summer in the Heatley debacle. He was tied up in that prospective trade for so long that it would have been tough to move him elsewhere. Is that Tabo or K-Lowe's fault? probably.

Of course keeping PDP and Smid has turned out pretty well for the Oil hasn't it?

#107 Chris.
November 04 2009, 12:03PM

@rubbertrout

When the Heatley deal fell through, management still had plenty of time to adress one of the many other holes in the lineup... sigh..

#108 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
November 04 2009, 12:03PM

I never really understood the whole "vaccinations for families of at-risk people". If the at-risk people are vaccinated, why does it matter whether their families are?

Could one of you who know something about the medical system hazard a guess?

#109 Zamboni Driver
November 04 2009, 01:01PM

@Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things

you can a be carrier (on your hands especially) without ever getting sick - whether you're vaccinated or not.

S'why they say to wash your hands. It's equally for everyone else as it is for you.

I'm not a doctor, but I do play one on tv, well okay "amateur homevideo", but I don't want to talk about it.

#110 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
November 04 2009, 01:06PM

@Zamboni Driver

That's true, and one of many reasons I wash my hands on a regular basis.

What I'm wondering, though, is how I can be an H1N1 threat to a prone family member if they've already been vaccinated. If I'm not a threat, why would they recommend I go for the vaccination?

#111 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
November 04 2009, 01:21PM

I guess this was targeting to hatecoff

#112 TigerUnderGlass
November 04 2009, 06:44PM
Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things wrote:

That's true, and one of many reasons I wash my hands on a regular basis.

Because vaccines like the one developed for various flu outbreaks are not a certain defense. Though uncommon is still possible to get the flu after being vaccinated. Immunized family members provide another layer of protection for the very vulnerable.

#113 TigerUnderGlass
November 04 2009, 06:53PM

@rubbertrout

Pot meet kettle? It has nothing to to with that. It has to do with communicating with a person on their own level to foster understanding.

Plus, even if your little dig were true, it didn't constitute any sort of contradiction, I merely would have merely been insulting myself.

In short, if you call someone a fool it is not a contradiction to act like a fool yourself. He couldn't grasp plain language, so I spoke to him in his own language.

On another note...is there a more abrasive and worn phrase than "nuff said"?