NationDraft Update: Big Gains and Heartbreak

The Towel Boy
November 06 2009 01:30PM

Well well well, what a week we've had in the Team 1260 NationDraft! We've seen some teams come out of nowhere to grab Top 10 spots. We've also seen a few teams slip in the standings.

It's all about big gains and heartbreak in the NationDraft. One minute you're on top of the world, sipping Cristal™, conversing with JayZ about the finer points of ballin. The next minute you're sleeping in the gutter with your paper bag covered bottle of Big Bear™ wondering where things went wrong. Let's get down to business and see what's going down in the Team 1260 NationDraft, shall we?

Draft Standings as of Nov 5/09

The Top Ten:

Rank Team Name Points Points behind
1. Carlo Gambino 241 0
2. Sage11 241 0
3. Wiltonclan 238 -3
4. Tony Tanti's 236 -5
5. Tequila Party Gnomes 236 -5
6. The Slippery Petes 235 -6
7. Flaming Nots 235 -6
8. DoubleJJ 234 -7
9. Geaner 233 -8
10. Dude 233 -8

We've had a front row seat to NationDraft awesomeness with "Carlo Gambino" and "Sage11" continuing their stranglehold atop the standings.  "Wiltonclan" was tied for a first place spot last week, but has slipped 3 points back this week... shoulda took Rick Nash, eh Wiltonclan? A big WTF to "Tequila Party Gnomes"  for shooting out of nowhere to grab a Top 5 spot. That's how it's done people!

Celebrities in the NationDraft:

Rank Team Name Points Points behind
84. Robin Brownlee 224 -17
213. Jason Gregor 216 -25
700. Towel Boy Vs. Mothra 193 -48
788. The Pacinos (bingofuel) 185 -56
846. Lord Wanye's Steeds 177 -64

Honorable Mention:

619. Dunder Mifflin 198 -43

I'm a fan of anyone who is a fan of The Office.

741. Team Pope 190 -51

Last week I highlighted "Christ Punchers"... so this week I figured it would be best to remove myself from possible eternal damnation and highlight a more pro God team. Go Team Pope! YEAH!  *says 10 Hail Marys*... that's better.

891. random choices 154 -87

This team proves that, as in life, when you mail it in you very rarely are rewarded with a good outcome.

OH NOES!  THEY'RE BORKED!!

Touching on the heartbreak that can be the NationDraft, we've seen some pretty big name injuries over the past week. Last week we learned that Ilya Kovalchuk broke his foot and will be out for a few weeks. This past week came the news that Evgeni Malkin is out with a shoulder injury until Mid November. Of course he is, cuz I have him. The biggest hit to the pool points column also came this week when that point magnet, Ovechkin , came down with the oh so ambiguous "Upper Body Injury." That's some pretty big point getters shelved with injuries. How it will affect the NationDraft standings (and Team Russia 2010) remains to be seen.

NHL Players Bringing It:

I don't know about you, but I expected Stamkos to have a pretty decent season. I didn't exactly expect him to be 3rd in the NHL with 12 Goals so far. That's one way to tell a sophmore slump to shove it. Great stuff.

Also in the "surprising but not really column" I would put Rick Nash. He's always been a gamer, but this season so far he's quietly put together 21 points, 5 points off the league lead. Two of those points have been SHG's.

Finally, how about Anze Kopitar!? Who saw this coming!?! We've always known he was a pretty decent player, but this season he's proving why he's an AllStar. With 26 pts (13g, 13a) thru 16 games, he's on pace to almost pretty much double his career high of 77pts. Maybe he spent the offseason training with Dustin Penner?

That should about do it for TB's Team 1260 NationDraft update for the week ending November 5th.

Stay classy,
Minister Towel Boy

This message was written in accordance with the guidelines and rules set forth in the Charter of The Ministry of Drafts and is approved by the Minister of Draft.

56616bc412a09c53607f8b0162de222b
William (Towel) H. Boy is chairman of TB Corporation, the worldwide leader in internet usage, poker playing, hockey watching, video gaming, and beer drinking. TB Co. helps people and businesses realize their full potential. TB Co. had revenues of US$0.053 cents for the fiscal year ending June 2009, and employs more than 0.5 people in 1 country and/or region. He also enjoys the sexy ladies. Follow me on Twitter, if you dare: TheTowelBoy
#1 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
November 06 2009, 01:34PM

388. Team Discovery Channel 210 -31

RossCreek moved up more than I did this week. What a jerk-faced jerk.

PS I've got Stamkos in my office pool. Him and Stortini's enforcer prowess are the only things keeping me out of last place.

#2 freeze
November 06 2009, 01:42PM

sweet, I think I moved up.

152. Poolers 220 -21

#3 Tight Lips
November 06 2009, 01:45PM

Big Bear is a dirty brew

#4 Giggsunited
November 06 2009, 01:51PM

Lost my first batch off of a Big Bear

#5 blu
November 06 2009, 02:02PM

140. evolvingblue 221 -20

Not half bad I guess. I'll admit this is the first time I've looked at the standings for this pool. I check the CBC draft every day or so.

Not that that's helping ...

#6 jeanshorts
November 06 2009, 02:04PM

Huh, so I have both Ovechkin and Kovalchuck in my pool.

*loads shotgun*

Whatever, I'm 10 points up on Wanye which is really all that matters. I'll take the moral victories.

#8 Ender
November 06 2009, 02:14PM

Team Dragon is sucking wind and Ovechkin sure ain't helping things. As JS points out though, as long as you can point at even bigger suckage (you know who you are) then the world is not a compete write-off.

Go Chara! [hysterical giggle]

#9 bingofuel
November 06 2009, 02:33PM

Never in a million years did I think I'd be beating Wanye. Never in a million years will I be able to figure out just why the hell I picked Carcillo.

#10 OvenChicken8 - Team JSBM
November 06 2009, 02:35PM

Kopitar is money! I picked him up in the 8th round of our draft and he is leading me to victory :)

#11 yegCopywriter
November 06 2009, 02:46PM

83 - Teams ahead of the celebrities. 83 - Ales Hemsky's number.

Discuss.

#12 Librarian Mike
November 06 2009, 03:08PM

#743

+: I picked Kopitar (Slovenia rulz!)

-: I picked Eric StallStaal

#13 DK0
November 06 2009, 03:37PM

I was really hoping Random Choices ended up ahead of Wanye cause that would be golden.

Excellent photoshopping of the Ministry of Sound logo :)

#14 Wanye
November 06 2009, 03:38PM

My team is the biggest bunch of sucks that ever sucked. Know why I'm getting stroked? Because I picked with my heart instead of my brain and took every single Oiler available in the NationDraft.

If you will excuse me, I have to go lie down and have a good cry. And by cry I mean wait in the bushes by the river for someone to go by and jump out and punch them in the face.

"That's for me being so crappy in the NationDraft!" I will yell. And as they lie there rubbing their face they will nod solemly and understand exactly why they deserved the sucker punch.

END SCENE

#15 BarryS
November 06 2009, 07:03PM

Grumpy Goalie 169 and still declining in the standings helped by 5 players either irjured of with fewer than 4 points. Good thing I got no money invested in this.

#16 BarryS
November 06 2009, 07:21PM

Wish we were able to replace injured players in this pool. Guess I am spoiled by the CBC and the Sports Net Pools.

P.S. Not winning them either.

#17 RossCreekNation
November 06 2009, 11:11PM
Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things wrote:

388. Team Discovery Channel 210 -31

RossCreek moved up more than I did this week. What a jerk-faced jerk.

I was just going to say "what, I'm not a celebrity" after reading that article, and the 1st comment I read mentions my name. Ahhh... to be a celebrity.

Listen here jeff84 or whatever your name is ;-) (or is that objr? lol), I am NOT a jerk-faced-jerk!

See ya... in the rear-view mirror...

8-]

;-)

#18 Guy Flaming
November 09 2009, 04:05AM

Considering my last place finish in the AHL pool Just A Game ran during the lockout... I'll take my chance to gloat while I still can.

7. Flaming Nots 235 Pts. -6

Guy Flaming The Pipeline Show TEAM 1260 Edmonton

#19 Hemmer
November 10 2009, 01:04AM

I've made an Oilersnation article, even if it is the Nationdraft report. I think my life is almost complete. :D