Oilers vs. Avalanche Post-Game: How 'Bout That Power Play?

Jonathan Willis
November 09 2009 07:32AM

Edmonton Oilers: 5

Colorado Avalanche: 3

Well, that's a win.  The power play unit - remarkably, without Ales Hemsky, Sheldon Souray or Shawn Horcoff - was the hero here, scoring four goals and the callups didn't do too badly for themselves either.  Ryan Potulny's goal and assist weren't a huge shock; after all, he's been a dynamic minor league scorer and he didn't look out of place in previous stints last season and with Philadelphia in years prior.

The Oilers were outshot, again, on both the powerplay and even strength, and in the latter situation they were outscored 3-1, which is why players like Taylor Chorney are stuck with a -3 rating.  In fairness though, the first two Colorado goals came off point shots into traffic.

Via David Staples and the magic of Twitter (follow Oilersnation!) comes this quotation from Colorado Avalanche beat reporter Adrian Dater:

can't win em all at home. a shame the avs had to finally lose to a dog team like edmonton at home though

Really?  While I'm the first to admit the Oilers aren't exactly dominating the league right now, the Colorado Avalanche are right down with them in terms of getting outshot.  Are you really that confident that their early success isn't a combination of Craig Anderson's brilliance and a bunch of hot streaks?  I've talked about the 07-08 Senators before, but Scott Reynolds had another fun comparison: last year's Florida Panthers, who had a midseason run of 12-3-3 (slightly better than the Av's current record) before falling back to Earth and just missing the playoffs.  With only nine points seperating the Oilers and Avalanche and 65 games to go, it's a little early to be that cocky.

So - a win's a win, and it's nice to have that in the books after this nasty little slump.  What did everyone else think?

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#1 dragon
November 09 2009, 08:39AM

is it possible our PP was better because some key veterans were missing.

somebody said one of them was at the movies in Edmonton.

will be an interesting road trip.

#2 Ross C
November 09 2009, 08:43AM

Did anyone else notice the stands at the Pepsi Centre? You didn't have to search hard to find scores of empty seats, and half the fans that actually attended were donning Oilers jerseys. I also heard the unmistakable "Let's go Oilers" chant twice. All of this for a team that's tied for first in the league with an (until last night) unbeated home record.

Scary observations for the Colorado organization.

#3 RossCreekNation
November 09 2009, 08:48AM

Who's this Ross C character "jockin my fresh" joc... jockin my fresh?

#4 Ross C
November 09 2009, 08:54AM

It's like we are the same person, except you "reek" a bit more.

But seriously, I've never met another Ross before. Hello friend.

#5 Heatly
November 09 2009, 08:58AM

Great win for the Oil. Let's hope they can put a little hot streak in the next few games.

Next game will be interesting with all the BS that happend with Ottawa.

OILERS 5 SENATORS 2

#6 RossCreekNation
November 09 2009, 09:00AM

@Ross C

Haha.

RossCreek is just a moniker, although I do know a Ross C.....

#7 The Towel Boy
November 09 2009, 09:03AM

Man, another stupid PPV game coming up .... !#($&~*@

#9 Racki
November 09 2009, 09:05AM

In fairness to the Oilers being outshot, really they just had one really bad period (the 2nd). The first was a close one with the Oilers having the edge. The 2nd, the Avs blew us out of the water and if not for Khabibulin, things could have been ugly. The 3rd, and when it mattered most the Oilers dominated. It mattered ESPECIALLY in the last minute and a half, and the Oilers were not letting the Avs get anything done during that time, despite their extra attacker. That's when it mattered.

I'm not worried at all about the Oilers being outshot that game because they kept up with or outplayed the Avalanche for at least 2/3s of the game. Yah, we don't want them melting down like they did in the 2nd, but people are always reading into the shots a bit too much (not that you were putting a lot of emphasis on it today, JW).

So my question is, did the powerplay do well in spite of Hemsky not being in the line up, or because of Hemsky not being in the line up? Should the new powerplay motto be K.I.S.S.?

#10 Lofty
November 09 2009, 09:05AM

I have a hate on for Strudwick but he sure saved a goal last night that would have been a big boost for the Avs... Must give credit where credit is due. I'm sure he was waiting for me to say something.

P.S.

He also took a stupid penalty.

Potulny sure looked poised with the puck on the PP.

#11 Hemmercules
November 09 2009, 09:10AM

Welcome back to earth Colorado, courtesy of the Oilers of Edmonton. Much needed win.

Is it just me or did the PP look 100 times faster without Hemmer?? All the quick passing seemed to confuse the Avs. Not the usual #83 circling the boards looking for thread the needle passes with everyone alse on the ice standing still. Not to say that the Avs PK is great but the oil PP looked pretty awesome last night.

I've been trashing Moreau alot lately, and this was only one game for Reddox and Potulny, but they both had a far better game than Moreau with less ice time. Moreau has to be injured, or dare I say that he just sucks.

#12 I'm a Scientist!
November 09 2009, 09:15AM

Ingredients

1/4 cup white sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 pastry for a 9-inch double crust pie

5 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced

2 tablespoons maple syrup

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

3 cups of humble

Directions

Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Stir together the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl; set aside. Press one of the pastries into the bottom of a 9-inch pie pan; reserve the crust.

Toss the apples with maple syrup, vanilla extract and humble. Spread 1/3 of the apples into the pie pan and sprinkle with the sugar mixture. Repeat the layers with the remaining apples and sugar. Cover the pie with the top crust and pinch the edges to seal.

Bake in the preheated oven until the crust is golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.

I just thought I would provide this recipe for Humble Pie. After the work horse performance from Staois yesterday, I think a few nationeers should start baking up a storm.

I for one thought he did an amazing job... blocking shots, being physical... compared to the folks we have had on defence he is a breath of fresh air...

Also, Sportsnet had Gilbert as the number one star, seriously? Potulny should have been #1 in my opinion.

#13 Racki
November 09 2009, 09:19AM
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

Ingredients

1/4 cup white sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 pastry for a 9-inch double crust pie

5 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced

2 tablespoons maple syrup

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

3 cups of humble

Directions

Were, am and always will be a fan of Staios. I just hate the pairing of Staios and Smid. I do not care for Staios and Strudwick either, but that's not Staios fault on that. I'm looking forward to Smid being back, and then hopefully Staios gets paired with someone other than Strudwick (or Smid, for that matter).

#14 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
November 09 2009, 09:22AM

I thought the boys looked great last night, personally. Their goals really weren't flukes despite the goals-to-shots ratio. Comrie's goal was a direct result of good positioning, and so was Cogliano's. They came off rebounds that Anderson was having a tough time with last night. It's nice to see the rebounds result in second scoring chances instead of immediately being cleared away like they have been in the last few games. If they had done the same thing against the Rangers I think they probably would have won.

Anybody else hear the announcer call Nilsson 'pointless'? I know what he meant, but I laughed a little bit.

#15 yegCopywriter
November 09 2009, 09:23AM

@Hemmercules

I agree about the Hemmer-less power play. They were actually moving around and creating lanes against the Avs. One of my biggest frustrations with the Oilers PP is everyone standing still, which I think has something to do with the other 4 guys on the ice assuming that Hemsky is going to create magic out of nothing.

Don't get me wrong, Hemsky belongs on the PP... I just think that him and the rest of the team need to keep moving and creating, like they did yesterday.

#16 I'm a Scientist!
November 09 2009, 09:29AM

@Racki

Who would you put him with? Vis? I could see that working out, but right now, it would leave big holes on the other lines...

#17 Ender
November 09 2009, 09:39AM

Nice to see three points out of Springfield last night. Like a lot of Nationeers, I have been worried about our depth on the farm. If last night was any indication, we're going to be fine.

#18 Racki
November 09 2009, 09:40AM
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

Maybe even Chorney. I think Visnovsky prefers the right side, so it doesn't make sense to pair him with Staios (who is a right-side D).

I don't like the Grebeshkov / Gilbert pairing either, but that pairing seems to be a fave of Quinn's / Renney's.

But assuming those guys stay together, I could see:

Grebeshkov-Gilbert Smid-Visnovsky Chorney-Staios

#19 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
November 09 2009, 09:42AM
Racki wrote:

But assuming those guys stay together, I could see:

Grebeshkov-Gilbert Smid-Visnovsky Chorney-Staios

I'd love to see Smid get more time with Visnovsky. I think that could be a dangerous pairing.

#20 The Towel Boy
November 09 2009, 10:33AM

Steve MacIntyre on waivers per Bob McKenzie.

Who saw this coming!?!

#21 Ogden Brother
November 09 2009, 11:02AM
The Towel Boy wrote:

Steve MacIntyre on waivers per Bob McKenzie.

Who saw this coming!?!

Too bad, it was nice to see a down to earth, hard working guy get an NHL paycheck for a while.

#22 Mr DeBakey
November 09 2009, 11:03AM

Their goals really weren't flukes despite the goals-to-shots ratio.

Hmmmm

On the first one, Stastny couldn't have set Comrie up better if he had tried.

On the second, how many seeing-eye-wristers from the blueline do you think Gilbert will score this year? Well, you've seen one of them.

And so on

#23 Racki
November 09 2009, 11:05AM
The Towel Boy wrote:

Steve MacIntyre on waivers per Bob McKenzie.

Who saw this coming!?!

Everybody :P

Maybe not today though. I think everyone expected it.. just maybe not this soon.

Poor Mac. I hate seeing those guys that are great with the community go. I know it does nothing for the team though, and that's what they need to worry about. But he was good for this city.

Best wishes, Mac!

#24 I'm a Scientist!
November 09 2009, 11:10AM

I don't think anyone will pick him up... but i doubt he will ever be back to the big show.

In honor of SMac, i am going to list the things i liked about him:

1. His ability to fight 2. His demeanor

... that is all.

#25 Horcsky
November 09 2009, 11:12AM
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

In honor of SMac, i am going to list the things i liked about him:

1. His ability to fight 2. His demeanor

... that is all.

Don't forget 3. His ability to crush an opponent after a blatant charge.

#26 Milli
November 09 2009, 11:17AM
Ogden Brother wrote:

Couldn't agree more. The guy showed alot of heart, hope he gets picked up. It's always nice to see a guy work his @ss off and be able to enjoy cashing a few big checks. Maybe not a true NHLer, but remember that hit last year against the Lames? Totally changed that game.

#27 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
November 09 2009, 11:20AM
Mr DeBakey wrote:

Their goals really weren't flukes despite the goals-to-shots ratio.

Hmmmm

On the first one, Stastny couldn't have set Comrie up better if he had tried.

And so on

Comrie being in front of the net to take that shot is infinitely better than him not being in front of the net to take that shot.

We haven't seen that traffic in front of the net during this losing streak (for the most part). Regardless of the fact that the goal was a direct result of an error on the part of the Avs, it doesn't find the back of the net if people aren't creating some chaos in front of the goalie.

#28 Dan the Man
November 09 2009, 11:46AM

As much as I like having a guy like MacIntyre around and I think he's genuinely a great guy. He never plays and when he does he sees under 2 minutes of ice time, so what's the point? He also lost the only fight he had this year and then there is the loss to Goddard last year. If your only job is to fight then you can't really lose that often and that bad.

#29 Mark
November 09 2009, 12:13PM

This game goes a long way in demonstrating the Oilers don't need Hemsky in the lineup to win. The team will be getting some good young forwards in the near future and now or at the trade deadline might be a good time to deal him.

#31 jeanshorts
November 09 2009, 12:56PM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Really?

Once again, with feeling: Brian Boucher once posted five consecutive shutouts.

One game means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Uhh did you even watch the game last night stats man?????? Potulny is playing his way into the hall of fame! We should just trade away all the veterans and replace them with career AHL'ers and rookies because it's clearly the only way we can win! It's a foolproof plan, and even your corsi numbers would agree.

*passes out from stupidity*

#32 Senator Theo
November 09 2009, 03:28PM

That comment from Dater is ridiculous. Only a couple of months back, everyone was picking the Avs to finish in the bottom three in the conference; to call the Oilers "dogs" shows a very short memory.

Oh, and the Broncos look like they're coming back to earth too.

#33 Slats
November 09 2009, 10:50PM

Was this a game that the Oil finally put 60 mins together and then capitalized on some PP opportunities?

OR

Has the Oil become that team that teams take lightly and try and "coast" to a win because they had only 1 win in the last 8, injured, weak at centre, etc etc.

Have the Oil become that team?

I watched this game and the Avalanche dominated 5 on 5. What they were guilty of was some very porous seams on the PK which allowed some goals that not too many others would.

I fear we were really lucky rather than really good.