Steve MacIntyre on Waivers

Jonathan Willis
November 09 2009 11:35AM

To the surprise of absolutely nobody, the Edmonton Oilers have put Steve MacIntyre on waivers.

MacIntyre, who bounced around the minors for years (as recently as 2006-07 he was playing for the Quad City Mallards of the United Hockey League) was claimed off waivers by the Oilers at the start of the 2008-09 season. Florida had signed him to provide a physical presence for their AHL team, but with so many small players on the roster the Oilers felt the need to add a so-called ‘nuclear deterrent’ to their team. MacIntyre got into 22 games (Craig MacTavish used him sparingly, and injury was a factor) but spent the entire season earning a big league paycheck and seemed to be genuinely well-liked by fans.

Unfortunately for MacIntyre, when the Oilers axed MacTavish and brought in Pat Quinn, they effectively ended his time with the team. In an interview with CBC’s The Hour this summer, Quinn was asked how he felt about sending a guy out to beat someone up. His answer:

I’ve never liked that. I’ve always said, in my mind, I’ll keep you on the bench if you learn how to play - I won’t keep you on the bench – but you’ll be a part of my team if you can learn how to play.

He’s stuck true to that, and with all due respect to MacIntyre (who has worked his way up the hockey food chain in the most difficult possible way), he doesn’t have the necessary ability to play a regular shift, and as a result Quinn has refused to use him. Bruce McCurdy detailed the extent of that a few days ago:

On four occasions that Pat Quinn has had no choice but to dress every healthy body on the roster, MacIntyre has played 2:44, 0:51, 1:19, and 1:24. Twelve shifts in all, for 6:18 of total ice time.

Bottom line: MacIntyre wasn’t being used, and with the team battling injuries and the flu, it made no sense to keep him on the roster. Also, possibly of interest to the Oilers – Buffalo’s Adam Mair is on waivers. Mair played briefly for Quinn in Toronto before being dealt to Los Angeles, but he’s come a long ways as a player since then. Might the Oilers be interested?

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#1 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
November 09 2009, 11:39AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

As much as I like the guy it was apparent he wouldn't be here much longer after quinn took over.

Avatar
#2 Eric Johnson
November 09 2009, 11:39AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Well liked guy in town. His "boy am I happy to be here" attitude will be missed.

Good Luck to him.

Avatar
#3 OvenChicken8 - Team JSBM
November 09 2009, 11:42AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Well at least he collected a years worth of NHL salary. Good luck to Big Mac in the minors.

Avatar
#4 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
November 09 2009, 11:43AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

First time I ever seen Macintyre was when he was with Florida against the Oilers. I said he was the worse NHL player I ever seen. He came a ong way since then, but it still isn't enough to be an NHL regular.

Avatar
#5 Scuba Steve
November 09 2009, 11:45AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@JW

I don't see Mair as a fit on this team, unless there's other moves coming, do you really see the Oilers being interested or are you just making conversation?

Avatar
#6 jake
November 09 2009, 11:50AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Best Bubbles impression I've seen. Good luck big dude.

Avatar
#7 Smokin' Ray
November 09 2009, 11:50AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Awww... I'm sad about this. He will be missed and let's hope no one claims him so he stays in the Oilers system. His skating was very much improved and with some more work, he could be a pretty decent player in the AHL. Good luck Big Mac.

Avatar
#8 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
November 09 2009, 11:58AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

For 500k I don't see him clearing waivers. In the summer there were quite a few teams looking for an enforcer. My bet is Washington.

Avatar
#10 Boondock
November 09 2009, 11:59AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Smokin' Ray wrote:

Awww... I'm sad about this. He will be missed and let's hope no one claims him so he stays in the Oilers system. His skating was very much improved and with some more work, he could be a pretty decent player in the AHL. Good luck Big Mac.

I really hope someone claims him and he gets to stay in the NHL. He seems like one of those really good guys that you hope makes it.... just not on your team.

Avatar
#12 Eric Johnson
November 09 2009, 12:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Boondock wrote:

I really hope someone claims him and he gets to stay in the NHL. He seems like one of those really good guys that you hope makes it.... just not on your team.

That's it, right there. Not good enough for a regular shift, but nice to see him getting rewarded for years of effort.

3rd'd

Avatar
#13 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
November 09 2009, 12:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Jonathan Willis wrote:

He's big, he's gritty, he has past history with Quinn, and while not good in the circle he's better than Cogliano/Gagner. I'm not a big fan, but why wouldn't they be interested in sticking him between, say, Moreau and Stortini?

If Mair is in who is out from the original top 12?

Avatar
#14 Jmask5
November 09 2009, 12:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Good Luck to Big Mac. I hope he can find a new team. Class act. If only his personality translated to on ice performance, he'd be Wayne Gretzky.

Avatar
#16 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
November 09 2009, 12:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Jonathan Willis wrote:

You're assuming everyone will be healthy at some point, and I don't think that's going to happen this year.

I think Mair gets MacIntyre's roster spot, and when everyone's healthy Robert Nilsson gets the boot.

Even so Nilsson and Macintyre weren't regulars on this team to start, plus I think with Pisani back in that is now 13 regulars that Mair would have to jump.

Avatar
#18 Ogden Brother
November 09 2009, 12:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Jonathan Willis wrote:

This is less about long-term fixes and more about dealing with injury right now, IMO. Honestly, when there's a full roster Mair's probably in the press box rotation with guys like Jacques and Stortini.

But in the meantime, the Oilers could use a forward, one's available for a nominal fee (10K, I think) and he could always be dumped/sent to the minors when everyone's back if they don't want him.

Ya, seems like a no brainer (or at least no risk) move to me.

Avatar
#19 SirFozz
November 09 2009, 12:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

This should seriously affect the average size of this team.

Good luck going forward SmackIntyre, you big lug.

Avatar
#20 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
November 09 2009, 12:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Jonathan Willis wrote:

This is less about long-term fixes and more about dealing with injury right now, IMO. Honestly, when there's a full roster Mair's probably in the press box rotation with guys like Jacques and Stortini.

But in the meantime, the Oilers could use a forward, one's available for a nominal fee (10K, I think) and he could always be dumped/sent to the minors when everyone's back if they don't want him.

I guess, just don't see them doing it considering Reddox and Potulny are now up. Just doesn't seem to be a move this team would make. They didn't grab Jones when we clearly could've used him, they didn't grab Christensen when we had the flu, so I just don't see us grabbing Mair at this point in time.

Avatar
#21 Ogden Brother
November 09 2009, 12:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Note to Admin, the record traker at the top doesn't have last nights win yet. Please change ASAP... I can't stomach looking at a sub .500 record.

Avatar
#22 Hemmertime
November 09 2009, 12:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Im happy for him, he made NHL money for a season and a quarter, hopefully someone in east picks him up. He seems like a nice guy who realized how lucky he was so Im betting he banked most his $ too. Good on ya mac.

Avatar
#23 Racki
November 09 2009, 01:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I don't know enough about Adam Mair as a player. However, if I can read stats a bit, I'll guess that if the Oilers weren't interested in Malhotra or Betts, chances are they aren't interested in Mair either. If I can read into stats a bit, looks like he brings a decent physical game, but outside of that, he appears to have little to no offensive game (which is something that Quinn obviously puts a lot of emphasis on).

I don't see him being picked up, no matter how cheap a replacement he would be. I think the Oil will just stick it out with Potulny and/or Reddox for a bit. It would be nice to have someone with more size though, but unless he can put the puck in the net (which evidently he can't), he wouldn't be of much use here.

Avatar
#24 Ogden Brother
November 09 2009, 01:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Soap box: It really ticks me off that the Flames can get other teams discards like Bourque (press box for the Hawks) Daws (waiver wire) and to a lesser extent GlenX who can come in and produce to go along with their intangibles, but we can go out and trade for a guy with at least a pedigree of putting up solid 2nd line NHL numbers like O'sully and he struggles to put up points here.

Avatar
#25 MikeP
November 09 2009, 01:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

Even so Nilsson and Macintyre weren't regulars on this team to start, plus I think with Pisani back in that is now 13 regulars that Mair would have to jump.

No, he'd only have to jump two, right?

Problem still stands though.

Avatar
#26 jeanshorts
November 09 2009, 01:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Uhhh, crap.

*frantically tries to rearrange the letters on the back of his jersey to spell something out of MacIntyre*

It's Ales Pisa all over again!

Avatar
#27 Milli
November 09 2009, 01:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

JW, what is the story on Mair? Big guy? Crusty?

Avatar
#28 Dan the Man
November 09 2009, 01:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Mair was hardly playing in Buffalo and has a lousy faceoff percentage.... 42.8%. Mind you he's only played in 3 games this year.

Avatar
#29 Ender
November 09 2009, 01:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Like everyone else, I'd be surprised if Mair was picked up by the Oilers. We're not that far away from getting some regulars back in to the line-up and based on last night, Potulny and Reddox don't look particularly out of place. Mair might be better than someone we've got in the line-up right now and I'm sure that will be much debated over the next short while until he is claimed or clears waivers, but the point is more likely to be whether he's clearly so much better that the Oilers are willing to spend a contract on him and eat another salary to get him. That's a significant investment for perhaps a negligible or even a negative return.

Avatar
#30 Hemmertime
November 09 2009, 01:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

775k is his salary, if we could fit it I wouldnt object to him especially since in final year of deal. However Id rather have the cap space at trade deadline when its worth way more and could pull a trade rather than take someone else's cast offs when we could have made a move for a much better player on UFA. I would rather see Potulny get in more games or a call up. I believe if we take from waivers they need to be on NHL roster full season so Id rather use a 2way.

Avatar
#31 Ender
November 09 2009, 01:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Hemmertime wrote:

Id rather have the cap space at trade deadline when its worth way more and could pull a trade rather than take someone else's cast offs when we could have made a move for a much better player on UFA.

Amen. Getting Mair at $775K now is not nearly as good as being able to pick up a $2M-$3M player for essentially the same price at the trade deadline. Between now and the playoffs, Mair won't make that much difference. Between the trade deadline and the playoffs, that one extra guy could make all the difference.

Avatar
#32 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
November 09 2009, 01:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Ender wrote:

Hemmertime wrote:

Id rather have the cap space at trade deadline when its worth way more and could pull a trade rather than take someone else's cast offs when we could have made a move for a much better player on UFA.

Amen. Getting Mair at $775K now is not nearly as good as being able to pick up a $2M-$3M player for essentially the same price at the trade deadline. Between now and the playoffs, Mair won't make that much difference. Between the trade deadline and the playoffs, that one extra guy could make all the difference.

The rate this team is going we will be dumping salary at the deadline, so if there is someone that can help us now for cheap I say make the move. I just don't see Mair being that guy.

Avatar
#33 Jason Gregor
November 09 2009, 01:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

The Oilers had 12 forwards dressed last night, with Hemsky, Horcoff, Jacques and Stone out. That is 16 when healthy, which isn't far away, barring some guys getting hurt. Jacques is out for this trip, Stone is a week to ten days and Horcoff is looking like this weekend. Hemsky should join team sooner, maybe in Atlanta.

The Oilers don't think Mair is better than what they have, plus they have TOO many contracts anyways. They aren't interested in Mair.

Avatar
#34 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
November 09 2009, 01:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Jason Gregor wrote:

The Oilers had 12 forwards dressed last night, with Hemsky, Horcoff, Jacques and Stone out. That is 16 when healthy, which isn't far away, barring some guys getting hurt. Jacques is out for this trip, Stone is a week to ten days and Horcoff is looking like this weekend. Hemsky should join team sooner, maybe in Atlanta.

The Oilers don't think Mair is better than what they have, plus they have TOO many contracts anyways. They aren't interested in Mair.

Horcoff back that early? So the 7-10 was accurate.

Avatar
#37 Dan the Man
November 09 2009, 02:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

How come people think the Oilers should pick up every single guy that gets waived? Most guys get waived because they're not that good.

Avatar
#38 jeanshorts
November 09 2009, 02:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Dan the Man wrote:

How come people think the Oilers should pick up every single guy that gets waived? Most guys get waived because they're not that good.

WHAT??????

*head explodes trying to understand this whole "logic" thing*

To be fair though, sure those guys are getting waived but it doesn't always mean they're not good, at least for the Oilers. Sometimes teams have 2 or 3 players cut from the same cloth, and one just happens to be a little better than the other. But that same guy getting waived may be better than 2 or 3 Oilers that play his same style, right? But I agree it's pretty hilarious that as soon as anyone gets waived the comments light up about how the Oilers need every player that's available.

Avatar
#39 stilldrinkingthekoolaid
November 09 2009, 02:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I met Steve MacIntyre at a Rexall opening in the spring. Really decent fellow which again proves "Nice guys really do finish last". Take Care S'Mac we'll miss Ya!

Avatar
#41 Woodguy
November 09 2009, 02:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

The Oilers had 12 forwards dressed last night, with Hemsky, Horcoff, Jacques and Stone out. That is 16 when healthy, which isn't far away, barring some guys getting hurt. Jacques is out another week, Stone is a week to ten days. Horcoff is looking like this weekend, and Hemsky possibly earlier. The Oilers don't think Mair is better than what they have, plus they have TOO many contracts anyways. They aren't interested in Mair.

Still no love for Pouliot Gregor?

He'd make 17.

Avatar
#42 Dan the Man
November 09 2009, 02:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Because every once in a while Dustin Penner or Martin St. Louis shows up on the waiver wire.

Or even Rich Peverley.

Has Penner ever been waived? I don't ever recall that?

Sure once in a while a good player is waived. I think Briere was waived once as well wasn't he? But for everyone of those guys there are probably a hundred Lawrence Nycholat's that were waived.

Avatar
#43 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
November 09 2009, 02:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Because every once in a while Dustin Penner or Martin St. Louis shows up on the waiver wire.

Or even Rich Peverley.

Pretty sure after 6 full seasons of the exact same play Mair is what you see.

Avatar
#44 Reagan
November 09 2009, 02:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I thought the Oilers looked Ok last night with Potulny and Reddox in. Only if they can keep it up!

I liked Mac, but didn't feel they truly gave him enough ice time. Yeah he looked out of place, but when you never freaken play of course you going to loose all confidence.

Avatar
#45 Dan the Man
November 09 2009, 02:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
jeanshorts wrote:

WHAT??????

*head explodes trying to understand this whole "logic" thing*

To be fair though, sure those guys are getting waived but it doesn't always mean they're not good, at least for the Oilers. Sometimes teams have 2 or 3 players cut from the same cloth, and one just happens to be a little better than the other. But that same guy getting waived may be better than 2 or 3 Oilers that play his same style, right? But I agree it's pretty hilarious that as soon as anyone gets waived the comments light up about how the Oilers need every player that's available.

I'm still feeling a little bad about the whole "head exploding thing" but you are correct a player who is redundant on another team could potentially be useful on our team. Glen Sather used to say something like if you improve the 12th forward on your team you've improved your team.

Maybe a bigger skilled team like San Jose would be interested in one our small, soft non-skilled guys?</>

Avatar
#46 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
November 09 2009, 02:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Dan the Man wrote:

I'm still feeling a little bad about the whole "head exploding thing" but you are correct a player who is redundant on another team could potentially be useful on our team. Glen Sather used to say something like if you improve the 12th forward on your team you've improved your team.

Maybe a bigger skilled team like San Jose would be interested in one our small, soft non-skilled guys?</>

That is true, but off our original 12 guys is Mair any better then any of them? And even if he is better then say Stortini is he a better fit for this team?

Avatar
#47 Dan the Man
November 09 2009, 02:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

That is true, but off our original 12 guys is Mair any better then any of them? And even if he is better then say Stortini is he a better fit for this team?

I'd say Stortini is more valuable to this team that Mair would be. So ...what if I replace 12th with 14th?

Avatar
#48 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
November 09 2009, 02:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Dan the Man wrote:

I'd say Stortini is more valuable to this team that Mair would be. So ...what if I replace 12th with 14th?

At that point it's a little bit of reaching.

But I wonder if we traded Macintyre and Mair was who we got in return if my opinion and other change.

Fact is Mair brings a physical presence and that is about it. Doesn't play PK, doesn't win a lot of draws and doesn't put up a lot of points. Seems to be a bigger Reddox to me.

Avatar
#49 Absolutely Nobody
November 09 2009, 02:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

you're right - I am surprised

Avatar
#50 Dan the Man
November 09 2009, 02:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

At that point it's a little bit of reaching.

But I wonder if we traded Macintyre and Mair was who we got in return if my opinion and other change.

Fact is Mair brings a physical presence and that is about it. Doesn't play PK, doesn't win a lot of draws and doesn't put up a lot of points. Seems to be a bigger Reddox to me.

Hey you're preaching to the choir, if you read back through this thread that's basically what I've been saying.

When I was talking about improving the team by improving the 12th -14th player I was speaking more in general about the waiver wire.

Comments are closed for this article.