In Tambellini's Boots

Jonathan Willis
December 01 2009 07:27AM

Yesterday, Robin Brownlee mentioned briefly the moves he’d be working on in the G.M.’s boots (pictured above). The following is my list.  If I've had one rule in making up my list, it's this one: don't sell low.

Forwards

There are four forwards on the team who can be relied upon to keep their heads above water against almost anybody. They are Ales Hemsky, Shawn Horcoff, Dustin Penner, and Sam Gagner. Those four will constitute the core of next season’s forward corps, and will be retained.

There are too many small, one-dimensional forwards in this group. Pick two of Cogliano, O'Sullivan, Nilsson, Comrie and Eberle who will be on the team next year. Given the relative trade values, at this point I'd lean towards keeping Comrie and O'Sullivan and sticking Eberle in the AHL, but there’s still plenty of time to make a decision, and the rest of the season should focus on which of these players to keep and which to move. For now though, I’d move out Nilsson and Cogliano.

This team has too many players who bring a physical edge but not much else; in reality there aren’t that many spots for these sort of players on a winning team (as none of the Oilers listed here can really handle a regular role checking top players). My list includes Ethan Moreau, J-F Jacques, Zack Stortini and Ryan Stone. Colin McDonald and Ryan O’Marra would also fit into this category, although I imagine both would clear waivers; I’d plan to store them as minor-league depth unless someone expresses interest in either of them or they impress as the season continues. Otherwise, I’d keep Stone and Stortini and move out Moreau and Jacques.

As for Gilbert Brule and Ryan Potulny, I think both can be useful NHL players. Again, part of the season would focus on evaluating Potulny, but I see him as a very good 13th forward for a playoff team. As for Brule, I’d test the market. He’s played very well, and frankly I like him a lot, but I don’t think he’s as good as we’ve seen to date. Right now he has a 20.0% shooting percentage mark; his career average is 8.9%. His on-ice shooting percentage is 11.6%, and his linemates aren’t that good. I see him as a good third-liner who can score some when called upon, but if he can put up 40+ points (he’s on pace for 58) I think he’ll get a contract as a scorer. There’s nothing wrong with the player; I’m just a fan of selling high and I think he’s as hot as he’ll be for the foreseeable future. Meanwhile, I continue to believe Marc Pouliot can get the job done on the fourth line, perhaps between Stone and Stortini. He’ll have to use the stretch run to prove he deserves a spot in the lineup over Potulny; if not he’s a cheap reserve forward. Lastly, if Fernando Pisani shows signs he can come back from his latest bout of colitis, I’d pencil him in as a reserve forward.

Despite the high volume of moves I’m suggesting (five), that would leave only three spots available up front, assuming that all of the prospects/AHL’ers (O’Marra, McDonald, Eberle, Paajarvi-Svensson, Omark, etc.) fail to make the jump to the big leagues. As G.M., I’d be having my professional scouts look at defensive specialists from this summer’s free agent class. I’d also suggest that bubble players on other teams who might be cheaply available be brought over for a test run towards the latter half of this season. If at all possible, I’d also try to swing a trade to bring in a genuine third liner or two. 

Defencemen and Goaltenders

On the defensive side of things, I’d entertain bids for Lubomir Visnovsky and Sheldon Souray, but only move them if the return was particularly compelling. Lubomir Visnovsky is the team’s best defenceman and a vital part of the team; his injury last year hurt the Oilers a lot. Meanwhile, Sheldon Souray brings a unique presence to the team and when healthy has been invaluable. While I can’t help but think that age and injuries could catch up to either of these players, winning in the near future will depend greatly on them, and they can only be moved if the return justifies it. It’s also important to remember that either of these defencemen can block a trade.

Assuming that both of those players are kept, the Oilers still have too much money invested in their defence, so one of Tom Gilbert or Denis Grebeshkov should be moved if the first two are kept. Gilbert is signed to a long-term contract, and his value has never been lower than it is right now. Grebeshkov is a pending free agent. I don’t believe teams should move players for pennies on the dollar, so that rules out trading Gilbert, meaning that Grebeshkov should be moved. If Grebeshkov is willing to sign a three-year (or thereabouts) deal for reasonable money ($3.25 million per year or thereabouts) I’d consider keeping him, but otherwise I’d try and move him at the deadline.

Steve Staios costs too much money for a third-pairing defenceman, and should be moved. Ladislav Smid is still signed to reasonable dollars and should be kept. Jason Strudwick doesn’t bring anything irreplaceable; if someone were interested I’d move him, otherwise he could be allowed to leave as a free agent.

That leaves three spots on the back end to be filled, and all should go to cheap and dependable types. I one of Taylor Chorney or Theo Peckham steps up in a big way down the stretch, one of them could take an NHL job next year (not both, because if both do that leaves the team without enough depth), which would leave only two spots to fill. Physical and defensively reliable are what we’re looking for here.

In net, I’d move Khabibulin if a trade presented itself. I know Tambellini won’t because he just signed him, but he’s locked up for too long given his age and injury track record. Some would argue I’m creating an unnecessary hole, but the fact is that Khabibulin has missed almost 20 games per season every season for the past four years, and I’m not comfortable with a part-time starter. I’d also make a decision on JDD and Dubnyk. I'd be leaning towards keeping Dubnyk, but use Khabibulin's absence to add to the data. I know that's too short a span, but the Oilers must make a decision this summer and they might as well decide now. Trade the lesser of the two. 

Transactions

  • Move two of Cogliano, Comrie, Nilsson and O’Sullivan – probably Cogliano and Nilsson.
  • Move one of Jacques, Stone and Stortini – probably Jacques.
  • Move Moreau.
  • Move Brule, depending on return.
  • Move one of Visnovsky, Souray, Gilbert and Grebeshkov – probably Grebeshkov.
  • Move Staios.
  • Move Khabibulin, depending on return.
  • Move one of Deslauriers or Dubnyk – probably Deslauriers.
  • Aim to acquire two or three two-way forwards.
  • Aim to acquire a pair of solid defenceman, at least one of whom can play a shutdown role.
  • If necessary, take a goaltender back in exchange for Khabibulin, but preferably not. Acquire as many draft picks as possible.
  • Sign whatever of the above haven’t been added via trade when free agency starts.
  • Sign a starting goaltender to replace Khabibulin; by my count there are 11 possible starters hitting the market, not one of whom is older than 34.  As with last year, there are more goaltenders than there are teams.

I know this looks like a lot, but I’ve got the rest of this season and all next summer to make these moves, and that’s the list I’d be working from.  The important thing now is to use the time left to get firm reads on which players in each of the above groups to keep.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, Sportsnet, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#301 TigerUnderGlass
December 02 2009, 11:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
So I'd say we picked the right guy, maybe just not contract length

Bingo!

There was no good excuse for not starting negotiations with a 2 year deal. None.

Avatar
#302 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
December 02 2009, 11:10AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Can we even have an accurate assesment on these contracts that are only 25 games into a new contract?

Last time we did that weren't we saying that the Souray and Penners signings were horrible?

Now guys like Pisani or Staios who have played half their contracts we could have an accurate opinion on whether or no the deals are good.

Avatar
#303 David S
December 02 2009, 11:11AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:
So I'd say we picked the right guy, maybe just not contract length

Bingo!

There was no good excuse for not starting negotiations with a 2 year deal. None.

There was no good excuse (that we know of) for not starting negotiations with a 2 year deal.

Fixed.

Avatar
#304 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
December 02 2009, 11:12AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@TigerUnderGlass

Although I would suspect if it were a two year deal he would've wanted 5+mil, which would've drove people even more nuts.

Avatar
#305 Dan the Man
December 02 2009, 11:13AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@TigerUnderGlass

I never stated the contract length is irrelevant.

The statement that you suggested doesn't support my argument clearly does. I don't think you really understand what my argument is, my argument is simply that Khabibulin's contract is not ridiculous at this point and it can't be fully judged 20 games in to it.

You're entitled to your opinion, I don't happen to agree and I really don't care that much if you don't agree with mine.

Avatar
#306 TigerUnderGlass
December 02 2009, 11:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
David S wrote:

There was no good excuse (that we know of) for not starting negotiations with a 2 year deal.

Fixed.

Really? What excuse could we not know of that could possibly make a difference?

Avatar
#307 David S
December 02 2009, 11:32AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

Really? What excuse could we not know of that could possibly make a difference?

I've already covered a possibility earlier in the thread. And I may be 100% wrong just the same.

Seriously, its laughable to assume a casual fan would know all the reasons behind any pro sports contract negotiation. I guess its fun for fan talk at the water cooler, but how about assuming just for a moment you don't have all the information before making rather definitive statements that imply you do.

Avatar
#308 Dan the Man
December 02 2009, 11:35AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@David S

Your statements contain far too much logic. Well said.

Avatar
#309 TigerUnderGlass
December 02 2009, 11:35AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Dan the Man

my argument is simply that Khabibulin's contract is not ridiculous at this point and it can't be fully judged 20 games in to it.

Yes it is painfully obvious that this is your argument and has been all along.

The point is that you seem to want to ignore all context and say that woohoo at this precise moment in time he has played well enough.

It is a 4 year contract, not a 1 year contract and the only way to try and claim it is a good contract is to say that you truly believe he will be an effective number one goaltender in years 3 and 4.

If you can say that you actually think this will be the case then there is nothing more to say. If you are going to keep saying that it is possible he will still be good enough then you have no legs to stand on.

You actually have it backwards, because at this point in time it is a bad contract because of the term, if he manages to keep it up as the number one on a couple years then it will become a decent contract. Until he shows some evidence that he can keep it up it has to be considered a bad deal.

You're entitled to your opinion, I don't happen to agree and I really don't care that much if you don't agree with mine.

I would like to solicit an opinion from Brownlee on this if he reads this far into the thread.

Could the statement "I really don't care if you agree with me" be even more abrasive and idiotic than methinks and 'nuff said?

Listen Dan. Who ever suggested you would care? Why did you feel the need to point that out? What was the point? What good would come of it? Do you actually think that anybody cares if people agree with the while debating something on a comment board? Should I suddenly think to myself "Oh, he doesn't care if I agree, so I guess it's not a debatable issue anymore." Whatever.

At first I thought you were just having difficulty grasping the concept but I now see that it is simply over your head, so I'm done here.

Avatar
#310 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
December 02 2009, 11:36AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
David S wrote:

There was no good excuse (that we know of) for not starting negotiations with a 2 year deal.

Fixed.

~the only valid excuse is if 'bulin and his agent had compromising pictures of KLowe and/or tembelinni doing the nasty with sheep.~

Avatar
#311 TigerUnderGlass
December 02 2009, 11:40AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
David S wrote:

I've already covered a possibility earlier in the thread. And I may be 100% wrong just the same.

Seriously, its laughable to assume a casual fan would know all the reasons behind any pro sports contract negotiation. I guess its fun for fan talk at the water cooler, but how about assuming just for a moment you don't have all the information before making rather definitive statements that imply you do.

Lets hear one example of a possible reason. Do you seriously think that fear they might lose out on him qualifies? If that was their reasoning then I believe they are not qualified to manage an NHL team because if casual fans can read and predict a soft market for goaltenders then the GM of the Edmonton Oilers sure as hell better be able to do the same.

I've been involved in hundreds of contract negotiations, and actual even a few professional sports contracts. Not at the NHL level mind you, but I would say I believe have a decent grasp on how they work.

I would say it is even more laughable to suggest that there is some mystical unknowable reason for opening negotiations with a 4 year deal.

Avatar
#312 Dan the Man
December 02 2009, 11:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@TigerUnderGlass

Wow...are you seriously that dense?

I have also never stated that it was a good contract.

Avatar
#313 TigerUnderGlass
December 02 2009, 11:49AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Dan the Man wrote:

Wow...are you seriously that dense?

I have also never stated that it was a good contract.

Apparently if you wish to continue ignoring logic then yes, I am.

Avatar
#314 Dan the Man
December 02 2009, 11:51AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@TigerUnderGlass

Your arguments are based entirely on assumptions and unless you recently purchased a DeLorean and perfected the Flux Capacitor how can you possibly assume that Khabibulin will completely suck or be injured over the next 4 seasons?

Avatar
#315 TigerUnderGlass
December 02 2009, 11:53AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Dan the Man wrote:

Your arguments are based entirely on assumptions and unless you recently purchased a DeLorean and perfected the Flux Capacitor how can you possibly assume that Khabibulin will completely suck or be injured over the next 4 seasons?

I have already told you that I have not assumed that and explained the concept to you repeatedly.

I am not discussing this with you anymore because you are incapable of processing the information.

Avatar
#316 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
December 02 2009, 11:55AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Dan the Man wrote:

Your arguments are based entirely on assumptions and unless you recently purchased a DeLorean and perfected the Flux Capacitor how can you possibly assume that Khabibulin will completely suck or be injured over the next 4 seasons?

isnt it really assumptions on both sides?

kind of where the whole "is it worth the risk" part of the debate comes in

Avatar
#317 Dan the Man
December 02 2009, 11:59AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan

Not at all, I'm reserving judgment on his contract because I don't know how the next few years play out.

Avatar
#318 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
December 02 2009, 12:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Dan the Man wrote:

Not at all, I'm reserving judgment on his contract because I don't know how the next few years play out.

on most contracts, i would agree 110% with you.

however, when the player is over 35 and the deal is signed, it opens up a huge can of worms with the contract.

was this deal worth the risk? maybe, but for a team up against the cap with lots of young kids starting to have their deals come up, and a cap that is starting to level off, it has potential to be disastrous.

is 'bulin that much more of an upgrade over whatever else was out there that the risk can be justified?

Avatar
#319 Dan the Man
December 02 2009, 12:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan

Contracts after the age of 35 can be problematic for sure. His contract could end up biting the Oilers in the ass but lets say he is relegated to back up next year and either JDD or DD is the starter. It's still not an unreasonable amount to have tied up in your goaltenders.

I think Bulin was the best goalie available. I think most people would agree he's better than Biron or Roloson. Is he worth the extra money and term? I guess we'll see.

Avatar
#320 David S
December 02 2009, 12:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

Lets hear one example of a possible reason. Do you seriously think that fear they might lose out on him qualifies? If that was their reasoning then I believe they are not qualified to manage an NHL team because if casual fans can read and predict a soft market for goaltenders then the GM of the Edmonton Oilers sure as hell better be able to do the same.

I've been involved in hundreds of contract negotiations, and actual even a few professional sports contracts. Not at the NHL level mind you, but I would say I believe have a decent grasp on how they work.

I would say it is even more laughable to suggest that there is some mystical unknowable reason for opening negotiations with a 4 year deal.

Holy man.

OK. I'll try this one more time. Its my belief that Khabby was signed for much the same reasons Sheldon Souray was a couple of years ago, albeit under a different ownership structure. If you have followed the history of key Oilers signings in the past few years, you'll know (and I hope understand) what I mean. Like I said above, I could just as easily be 100% off base. Hey, I'm just a fan.

As (I assume from your posts) an astute businessman who is eminently aware of pro sports franchise dealings, I'm sure you understand that there's more dimension to some contract signings than most fans understand. Those dimensions may involve considerations for marketing, PR, customer retention worries and other organization plans that are not the privy of anybody outside of the organization.

Either you know this and are playing with the posters here, or you don't and like to make everybody here think you do.

Since I'm pretty sure you're not Steve Tambellini or Kevin Lowe ghost posting, then I must assume the latter.

Avatar
#321 Ogden Brother
December 02 2009, 12:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Bulin's contract certainly has it's risked (as discussed at great lengths).

But I think people are casting to wide of a net when determining it was a soft golie market.

Their was a handful of unproven goalies (Clemenson/Anderson)

And a handful of proven (Rollie/Bulin/Biron)

Just because we see a glut of capable goalies, doesn't mean managment see's it that way. Perhaps they decided that they didn't want to take the risk of the unproven (which obviously lowers supply). Maybe they weren't sold on Biron's mental toughness (which again lowers supply). Maybe they had an off ice reason to want to part ways with Rollie.

Avatar
#322 Ogden Brother
December 02 2009, 12:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Looking strickly at the contract I'd rank Bulins contract as "bad"

But if the team truly felt he was the only legit option elsewhere, then I can see why the would overpay (in years) to ensure they "get their man".

Avatar
#323 Ogden Brother
December 02 2009, 12:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

"only legit option elsewhere"

Should be: only legit option out there.

Avatar
#324 Tapdog
December 02 2009, 01:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

On this whole Habby signing, it is far too early to know if the signing was a good deal or not! I would say with Habby's injury history, age at signing and the length of this deal, this could be considered a bad deal to start with! Tambo has potentially put the Oilers in a tough spot. Just wondering,could the Oilers end up doing the same with Habby as the Devils did with Shanahan. Send him to the minors and when he does not report suspend him with out pay? How did that whole thing unfold? Was Shanahan under contract for this year?

Avatar
#325 TigerUnderGlass
December 02 2009, 01:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@David S

As (I assume from your posts) an astute businessman who is eminently aware of pro sports franchise dealings, I'm sure you understand that there's more dimension to some contract signings than most fans understand.

Don't be obtuse. It is irritating. I was stating that I have some awareness and even some minor experience in sports related contracts.

dimensions may involve considerations for marketing, PR, customer retention worries and other organization plans that are not the privy of anybody outside of the organization

This is my point - are you then claiming that these possible variables you mention are a valid excuse for opening negotiations with a 4 year deal?

Of course there are considerations not publicly announced and, as you have shown,is is easy enough to guess what they could potentially be. The question is whether or not they are adequate to excuse the action. Nothing you have mentioned comes close.

Avatar
#326 Ogden Brother
December 02 2009, 01:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Tiger under Glass

"The question is whether or not they are adequate to excuse the action. Nothing you have mentioned comes close."

If they had no faith in Biron, wanted to part ways with Rollie and didn't want to go the unproven route. ie they felt the team would be in a significantly worse position had they not got Bulin.

Then yes, I would say they at least had a case to go in with a strong offer to ensure they got their man.

Avatar
#327 speeds
December 02 2009, 01:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Ogden wrote "Can we even have an accurate assesment on these contracts that are only 25 games into a new contract?"

So, hypothetically, if the Oilers had signed Blair Betts to a 10 year, 90 million dollar deal this past summer, we couldn't say at the 25 game mark that it's a bad deal?

Avatar
#328 TigerUnderGlass
December 02 2009, 01:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
speeds wrote:

Ogden wrote "Can we even have an accurate assesment on these contracts that are only 25 games into a new contract?"

So, hypothetically, if the Oilers had signed Blair Betts to a 10 year, 90 million dollar deal this past summer, we couldn't say at the 25 game mark that it's a bad deal?

I tried this line of thinking earlier using the DiPietro contract and was told it was an unfair comparison, even though it illustrates the point nicely.

Avatar
#329 TigerUnderGlass
December 02 2009, 01:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ogden Brother wrote:

@ Tiger under Glass

"The question is whether or not they are adequate to excuse the action. Nothing you have mentioned comes close."

If they had no faith in Biron, wanted to part ways with Rollie and didn't want to go the unproven route. ie they felt the team would be in a significantly worse position had they not got Bulin.

Then yes, I would say they at least had a case to go in with a strong offer to ensure they got their man.

If this was their reasoning then it demonstrates a brutally incompetent awareness of the market and they should all be fired immediately.

Avatar
#330 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
December 02 2009, 01:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@speeds

Within reason. Both Bulin and Horcoff aren't overpaid by 8mil like Betts would be in your example. There are players that are comparbles to both Bulin and Horcoff that are making similar money.

Avatar
#331 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
December 02 2009, 01:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Ogden Brother

Hey poindexter, there is an edit button now.

Avatar
#332 Dan the Man
December 02 2009, 01:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
speeds wrote:

Ogden wrote "Can we even have an accurate assesment on these contracts that are only 25 games into a new contract?"

So, hypothetically, if the Oilers had signed Blair Betts to a 10 year, 90 million dollar deal this past summer, we couldn't say at the 25 game mark that it's a bad deal?

That's seriously one of the most ridiculous statements ever posted on this site and that is saying a lot.

It's so completely moronic that I don't know where to begin .....I honestly can't believe I'm even responding.

All I'm going to say is... ~ Yes, signing a $615 000 4th liner to a 90 million dollar 10 year deal is exactly the same as signing a proven number 1 goalie to a 4 year 15 million dollar deal.~

Your intellect is truly dizzying.

Avatar
#333 TigerUnderGlass
December 02 2009, 01:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Dan the Man wrote:

That's seriously one of the most ridiculous statements ever posted on this site and that is saying a lot.

It's so completely moronic that I don't know where to begin .....I honestly can't believe I'm even responding.

All I'm going to say is... ~ Yes, signing a $615 000 4th liner to a 90 million dollar 10 year deal is exactly the same as signing a proven number 1 goalie to a 4 year 15 million dollar deal.~

Your intellect is truly dizzying.

The moronic thing is your belief that this is what he is saying.

Avatar
#334 Dan the Man
December 02 2009, 02:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@TigerUnderGlass

At least your DiPietro comparison had a semblance of merit since the contract actually exists. Comparing the Khabibulin contract to a ridiculously unrealistic situation makes no sense whatsoever.

I get that you hate Kahbibulin's contract and have taken it very personally. Maybe you hate 36 year olds, maybe a Russian beat you up and stole your bike as a kid or maybe you are Martin Biron's agent and are bitter that you couldn't get your client a deal as good as the one Khabibulin got. I don't know, you tell me...is there some underlying issues you need to deal with?

Avatar
#335 PaperDesigner
December 02 2009, 02:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@TigerUnderGlass

Yes there is; if we had offered Khabibulin a two year contract, what compelling reason would he have to come to a team that had missed the playoffs three straight years?

Avatar
#336 RossCreekNation
December 02 2009, 02:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@PaperDesigner

~Yes, so jump straight to the 4 year offer, clearly 3 wouldn't suffice~

They wouldn't give Roli a 2 year deal at his age, yet they gave Bulin a 4 year deal, making him the same age Roli would be if given a 2 year deal? A 3 year offer doesn't bring the same question marks that the 4 year offer does. A 3 year offer for Bulin translates to a 1 year deal for Roli and stays consistent with the message.

Avatar
#337 TigerUnderGlass
December 02 2009, 02:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Dan the Man wrote:

At least your DiPietro comparison had a semblance of merit since the contract actually exists. Comparing the Khabibulin contract to a ridiculously unrealistic situation makes no sense whatsoever.

I get that you hate Kahbibulin's contract and have taken it very personally. Maybe you hate 36 year olds, maybe a Russian beat you up and stole your bike as a kid or maybe you are Martin Biron's agent and are bitter that you couldn't get your client a deal as good as the one Khabibulin got. I don't know, you tell me...is there some underlying issues you need to deal with?

Right.

I take it personally that a hockey team, which is not me, gave a bad contract to a hockey player, who is not me.

How does fact that I think your arguments are weak and ignorant equate to taking anything personally?

~but I see how resorting to "you must have some personal issue" helps your position.~

Avatar
#338 Dan the Man
December 02 2009, 02:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
RossCreekNation wrote:

~Yes, so jump straight to the 4 year offer, clearly 3 wouldn't suffice~

They wouldn't give Roli a 2 year deal at his age, yet they gave Bulin a 4 year deal, making him the same age Roli would be if given a 2 year deal? A 3 year offer doesn't bring the same question marks that the 4 year offer does. A 3 year offer for Bulin translates to a 1 year deal for Roli and stays consistent with the message.

Khabibulin will be 40 at the end of his contract, Roloson is 40 right now.

Avatar
#339 RossCreekNation
December 02 2009, 02:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Dan the Man

Correction: Khabibulin will be 41 at the END of his contract. He will be 40 to start the last season, but turns 41 in January. Roloson will be 40 at the start of his final season, but turns 41 in the 1st month. Three months difference when all is said and done.

Avatar
#340 Dan the Man
December 02 2009, 02:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@TigerUnderGlass

Read back through the entire thread, my arguments are strong and well supported. Even Gregor feels the same way I do. Please see post #295.

Avatar
#341 RossCreekNation
December 02 2009, 02:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Watch for Toronto to claim former Oiler Steve Valiquette. The Rangers have claimed Eric Christensen from the Ducks and placed Valiquette on waivers. The Ducks incidentally picked up Kyle Chipchura from the Habs for a draft pick.

Avatar
#343 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
December 02 2009, 02:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@RossCreekNation

I still don't see why you waive Christensen and trade a 4th for Chipchura. Seems kinda pointless.

Agree on that first part about Valiquette. Who is going to back up Lundqvist now?

Avatar
#344 Dan the Man
December 02 2009, 02:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
RossCreekNation wrote:

Correction: Khabibulin will be 41 at the END of his contract. He will be 40 to start the last season, but turns 41 in January. Roloson will be 40 at the start of his final season, but turns 41 in the 1st month. Three months difference when all is said and done.

Fair enough, I stand corrected. So Bulin and Rollie will be more or less the same age at the end of their respective contracts.

So in your unbiased opinion who is the better goalie and don't hold it against Khabibulin because he was a Flames killer in the past.

Avatar
#345 RossCreekNation
December 02 2009, 02:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Dan the Man

Nittymaki is a good back up.

He's not in Khabibulin's league (in history or dollars), but I think he stacks up fair against Biron.

Avatar
#346 Dan the Man
December 02 2009, 02:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
RossCreekNation wrote:
Nittymaki is a good back up.

He's not in Khabibulin's league (in history or dollars), but I think he stacks up fair against Biron.

I completely agree.

Avatar
#347 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
December 02 2009, 02:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Jonathan Willis

Wasn't Tambo apart of the Nucks Organization for about ten years and didn't he work with team canada in various positions. So I wouldn't say he had little experience in the business side of things.

Actually all those guys have many years of being assistants and such.

Sure fans get make better decision, but can they actually get those decision's to go through?

Fans seem to think that you can fix a team overnight, but the reality is it takes time. And when you are a GM of a team like Edmonton it makes it even harder.

Avatar
#348 Ogden Brother
December 02 2009, 02:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ TUG

"If this was their reasoning then it demonstrates a brutally incompetent awareness of the market and they should all be fired immediately."

Hardly, the Oil wouldn't be the only team with legit concerns about Biron.

Avatar
#349 RossCreekNation
December 02 2009, 02:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Dan the Man wrote:

Fair enough, I stand corrected. So Bulin and Rollie will be more or less the same age at the end of their respective contracts.

So in your unbiased opinion who is the better goalie and don't hold it against Khabibulin because he was a Flames killer in the past.

Khabibulin. I hate Roloson! But I definately don't think Roloson was the problem (hence why I hate him).

I never believed in him and he made me look like an idiot on more than one occasion. I just can't wait til he makes himself look like an idiot and bats that puck right into one of his defencemen's face with that cocky, arrogant baseball swing he does.

To me, Khabibulin's better, but not THAT much that he's enough to improve this team over Roloson. The 4 year deal stings.

Avatar
#350 Dan the Man
December 02 2009, 02:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Jonathan Willis

I completely agree that there have been far too many bad deals consummated by less than competent GM's but the advantage that me or any other fan has is that our opinions have absolutely zero impact on shaping a Hockey Team. There are no repercussions if I suggest a dumb hockey deal, it's like playing Monopoly vs actually buying and selling real estate.

Comments are closed for this article.