In Tambellini's Boots

Jonathan Willis
December 01 2009 07:27AM

Yesterday, Robin Brownlee mentioned briefly the moves he’d be working on in the G.M.’s boots (pictured above). The following is my list.  If I've had one rule in making up my list, it's this one: don't sell low.

Forwards

There are four forwards on the team who can be relied upon to keep their heads above water against almost anybody. They are Ales Hemsky, Shawn Horcoff, Dustin Penner, and Sam Gagner. Those four will constitute the core of next season’s forward corps, and will be retained.

There are too many small, one-dimensional forwards in this group. Pick two of Cogliano, O'Sullivan, Nilsson, Comrie and Eberle who will be on the team next year. Given the relative trade values, at this point I'd lean towards keeping Comrie and O'Sullivan and sticking Eberle in the AHL, but there’s still plenty of time to make a decision, and the rest of the season should focus on which of these players to keep and which to move. For now though, I’d move out Nilsson and Cogliano.

This team has too many players who bring a physical edge but not much else; in reality there aren’t that many spots for these sort of players on a winning team (as none of the Oilers listed here can really handle a regular role checking top players). My list includes Ethan Moreau, J-F Jacques, Zack Stortini and Ryan Stone. Colin McDonald and Ryan O’Marra would also fit into this category, although I imagine both would clear waivers; I’d plan to store them as minor-league depth unless someone expresses interest in either of them or they impress as the season continues. Otherwise, I’d keep Stone and Stortini and move out Moreau and Jacques.

As for Gilbert Brule and Ryan Potulny, I think both can be useful NHL players. Again, part of the season would focus on evaluating Potulny, but I see him as a very good 13th forward for a playoff team. As for Brule, I’d test the market. He’s played very well, and frankly I like him a lot, but I don’t think he’s as good as we’ve seen to date. Right now he has a 20.0% shooting percentage mark; his career average is 8.9%. His on-ice shooting percentage is 11.6%, and his linemates aren’t that good. I see him as a good third-liner who can score some when called upon, but if he can put up 40+ points (he’s on pace for 58) I think he’ll get a contract as a scorer. There’s nothing wrong with the player; I’m just a fan of selling high and I think he’s as hot as he’ll be for the foreseeable future. Meanwhile, I continue to believe Marc Pouliot can get the job done on the fourth line, perhaps between Stone and Stortini. He’ll have to use the stretch run to prove he deserves a spot in the lineup over Potulny; if not he’s a cheap reserve forward. Lastly, if Fernando Pisani shows signs he can come back from his latest bout of colitis, I’d pencil him in as a reserve forward.

Despite the high volume of moves I’m suggesting (five), that would leave only three spots available up front, assuming that all of the prospects/AHL’ers (O’Marra, McDonald, Eberle, Paajarvi-Svensson, Omark, etc.) fail to make the jump to the big leagues. As G.M., I’d be having my professional scouts look at defensive specialists from this summer’s free agent class. I’d also suggest that bubble players on other teams who might be cheaply available be brought over for a test run towards the latter half of this season. If at all possible, I’d also try to swing a trade to bring in a genuine third liner or two. 

Defencemen and Goaltenders

On the defensive side of things, I’d entertain bids for Lubomir Visnovsky and Sheldon Souray, but only move them if the return was particularly compelling. Lubomir Visnovsky is the team’s best defenceman and a vital part of the team; his injury last year hurt the Oilers a lot. Meanwhile, Sheldon Souray brings a unique presence to the team and when healthy has been invaluable. While I can’t help but think that age and injuries could catch up to either of these players, winning in the near future will depend greatly on them, and they can only be moved if the return justifies it. It’s also important to remember that either of these defencemen can block a trade.

Assuming that both of those players are kept, the Oilers still have too much money invested in their defence, so one of Tom Gilbert or Denis Grebeshkov should be moved if the first two are kept. Gilbert is signed to a long-term contract, and his value has never been lower than it is right now. Grebeshkov is a pending free agent. I don’t believe teams should move players for pennies on the dollar, so that rules out trading Gilbert, meaning that Grebeshkov should be moved. If Grebeshkov is willing to sign a three-year (or thereabouts) deal for reasonable money ($3.25 million per year or thereabouts) I’d consider keeping him, but otherwise I’d try and move him at the deadline.

Steve Staios costs too much money for a third-pairing defenceman, and should be moved. Ladislav Smid is still signed to reasonable dollars and should be kept. Jason Strudwick doesn’t bring anything irreplaceable; if someone were interested I’d move him, otherwise he could be allowed to leave as a free agent.

That leaves three spots on the back end to be filled, and all should go to cheap and dependable types. I one of Taylor Chorney or Theo Peckham steps up in a big way down the stretch, one of them could take an NHL job next year (not both, because if both do that leaves the team without enough depth), which would leave only two spots to fill. Physical and defensively reliable are what we’re looking for here.

In net, I’d move Khabibulin if a trade presented itself. I know Tambellini won’t because he just signed him, but he’s locked up for too long given his age and injury track record. Some would argue I’m creating an unnecessary hole, but the fact is that Khabibulin has missed almost 20 games per season every season for the past four years, and I’m not comfortable with a part-time starter. I’d also make a decision on JDD and Dubnyk. I'd be leaning towards keeping Dubnyk, but use Khabibulin's absence to add to the data. I know that's too short a span, but the Oilers must make a decision this summer and they might as well decide now. Trade the lesser of the two. 

Transactions

  • Move two of Cogliano, Comrie, Nilsson and O’Sullivan – probably Cogliano and Nilsson.
  • Move one of Jacques, Stone and Stortini – probably Jacques.
  • Move Moreau.
  • Move Brule, depending on return.
  • Move one of Visnovsky, Souray, Gilbert and Grebeshkov – probably Grebeshkov.
  • Move Staios.
  • Move Khabibulin, depending on return.
  • Move one of Deslauriers or Dubnyk – probably Deslauriers.
  • Aim to acquire two or three two-way forwards.
  • Aim to acquire a pair of solid defenceman, at least one of whom can play a shutdown role.
  • If necessary, take a goaltender back in exchange for Khabibulin, but preferably not. Acquire as many draft picks as possible.
  • Sign whatever of the above haven’t been added via trade when free agency starts.
  • Sign a starting goaltender to replace Khabibulin; by my count there are 11 possible starters hitting the market, not one of whom is older than 34.  As with last year, there are more goaltenders than there are teams.

I know this looks like a lot, but I’ve got the rest of this season and all next summer to make these moves, and that’s the list I’d be working from.  The important thing now is to use the time left to get firm reads on which players in each of the above groups to keep.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, Sportsnet, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#401 TigerUnderGlass
December 02 2009, 04:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
BarryS wrote:

Partly because I like to tease the animals.

Partly because I like the give and take of arguemnt.

Partly because guys like you are good for my ego, makes me feel intellectually superior.

Partly because there are some good people on this site.

Partly because this is more fun than writing letters to the editor nobody reads.

Partly because guys like you are such easy targets.

Partly because some of the posters make me laugh, alas, not you.

Partly because some of the posters have good ideas and make me think, alas, not you.

Partly because of the posters do not take all this over seriously, alas, not you.

~you sir, are a blow hard.~

...and you're an idiot.

If defying all logic and making nonsensical comments makes you feel superior then have a good time.

The fact that I enjoy argument does not mean I take it seriously in the least. I love a chance to argue about things that don't matter for a change.

It's an honor that you felt the need to write a speech just to insult lil ol me. Makes me all tingly inside.

Avatar
#402 BarryS
December 02 2009, 04:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

way to take that out of context. That was a reply to a throwaway post.

Then you should have thrown it away, not posted it.

Avatar
#403 TigerUnderGlass
December 02 2009, 05:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@BarryS

Brilliant. Try looking at the words when you read them. Sound them out if necessary.

It was a RESPONSE to a throwaway post.

Avatar
#404 BarryS
December 02 2009, 05:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

...and you're an idiot.

If defying all logic and making nonsensical comments makes you feel superior then have a good time.

The fact that I enjoy argument does not mean I take it seriously in the least. I love a chance to argue about things that don't matter for a change.

It's an honor that you felt the need to write a speech just to insult lil ol me. Makes me all tingly inside.

Actually, you asked. Do you read your own posts?

I understand there is a site to exchange insults. Why not go there.

You don't get it, personal insults are neither enjoyed nor needed on this site. The fact you need to make personal insults shows your lack of self confidence. Get real or get gone.

Avatar
#405 BarryS
December 02 2009, 05:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

Brilliant. Try looking at the words when you read them. Sound them out if necessary.

It was a RESPONSE to a throwaway post.

Brilliant, more insults. If you want to be taken seriously why not use some of that logic you claim to possess?

Still don't get it, do you.

Avatar
#406 TigerUnderGlass
December 02 2009, 05:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
BarryS wrote:

Actually, you asked. Do you read your own posts?

I understand there is a site to exchange insults. Why not go there.

You don't get it, personal insults are neither enjoyed nor needed on this site. The fact you need to make personal insults shows your lack of self confidence. Get real or get gone.

So you felt the need to compose an entire speech with no purpose other than to make an insult?

Avatar
#407 TigerUnderGlass
December 02 2009, 05:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
BarryS wrote:

Brilliant, more insults. If you want to be taken seriously why not use some of that logic you claim to possess?

Still don't get it, do you.

What sort of reply do you expect when you fail to comprehend the simplest sentences?

Why should I respond to ignorance with kid gloves?

Look, this was fun when it was an argument but now you apparently just want to talk about how little you care for me. That's all well and good, but not particularly entertaining. You've helped me kill a bit of time but I'm getting bored.

Avatar
#408 David S
December 02 2009, 05:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ogden Brother wrote:

How about the reason that management DIDN'T feel all the goalies on the market were equal.

And the didn't want to risk getting what they felt was an inferior goalie.

I'd buy that as much as anything else. Sounds quite reasonable actually.

Avatar
#409 TigerUnderGlass
December 02 2009, 05:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
David S wrote:

I'd buy that as much as anything else. Sounds quite reasonable actually.

It's a good reason to make a good offer, but four times as long as the next best?

It still seems to me like they were ignorant of the market.

Avatar
#410 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
December 02 2009, 05:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
David S wrote:

(I'm just trying to push this b!tch to 400 posts)

i blame MacT

Avatar
#411 RossCreekNation
December 02 2009, 05:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

*yells*

"I'LL TURN THIS DAMN BUS AROUND!!"

- as referenced by Chris Farley's character in the Adam Sandler movie "Billy Madison"

seen here... (IMPROVED LINK) www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dncx6O5J4U&NR=1

NOTE: This posting has not yet been approved by Mr. Brownlee

Avatar
#412 BarryS
December 02 2009, 05:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@TigerUnderGlass

Show a little more respect for your elders, sonny boy, I've been watching hockey since 1960 not the two weeks you seem to have been.

Avatar
#413 BarryS
December 02 2009, 06:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
RossCreekNation wrote:

*yells*

"I'LL TURN THIS DAMN BUS AROUND!!"

- as referenced by Chris Farley's character in the Adam Sandler movie "Billy Madison"

seen here... (IMPROVED LINK) www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dncx6O5J4U&NR=1

NOTE: This posting has not yet been approved by Mr. Brownlee

I understand Mr. Brownlee hasn't approved of anything since 1990.

Avatar
#414 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
December 02 2009, 06:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
RossCreekNation wrote:

*yells*

"I'LL TURN THIS DAMN BUS AROUND!!"

- as referenced by Chris Farley's character in the Adam Sandler movie "Billy Madison"

seen here... (IMPROVED LINK) www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dncx6O5J4U&NR=1

NOTE: This posting has not yet been approved by Mr. Brownlee

well played

Avatar
#415 Ogden Brother
December 02 2009, 06:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

"It's a good reason to make a good offer, but four times as long as the next best?"

Like I said, July 1 is fast and furious for the top players. Maybe the felt Bulin was head and shoulders above the rest (rightly or wrongly), and were worried that if they dicked around haggling over 2 years or 3 they could have lost him, and then have been forced to take what they felt was an inferior on ice player.

In fact I'd bet my house that is what happend.

Judging contracts is good and all, but we need to remember the important thing is signing good hockey players.

Good players >>>> Good contracts.

Avatar
#416 BarryS
December 02 2009, 06:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ogden Brother wrote:

"It's a good reason to make a good offer, but four times as long as the next best?"

Like I said, July 1 is fast and furious for the top players. Maybe the felt Bulin was head and shoulders above the rest (rightly or wrongly), and were worried that if they dicked around haggling over 2 years or 3 they could have lost him, and then have been forced to take what they felt was an inferior on ice player.

In fact I'd bet my house that is what happend.

Judging contracts is good and all, but we need to remember the important thing is signing good hockey players.

Good players >>>> Good contracts.

The most likely thing I've read on this particular thread.

Only one minor quibble, Good players >>>>> injuried >>>> still good contract.

Can't blame management if a player gets injured, however, seems to me guys like Horcoff who are obviously injured but won't willingly sit, should be made to get fixed/ rested until healthy. It's only a game, and the rest of your life with major joint pain is not a fun life. (experience talking here) That you can blame on management.

Avatar
#418 Ogden Brother
December 02 2009, 06:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I'd also point out that this team has had terrible success trying to sign FA's. They can't wait around like some markets that know players will be linning up to come. When they've got a chance to sign the guy they want, they have to take it.

Avatar
#419 Dan the Man
December 02 2009, 06:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Speaking of Contracts....

Per Sportsnet:Reports suggest that Toews and Kane will both sign five-year extensions while Keith will get a 13-year deal.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/12/02/blackhawks_extensions/

Avatar
#420 BarryS
December 02 2009, 06:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I'm not sure I agree with you, some players go through streaks of injury. Since each injury has been different, it's not the same as say, resigning Pisani who will never get over what he has and will always miss a lot of the season. And what's his name, the Dman in Vancouver, I think he is still there, is injured more than Khabbi and seems to get signed year after year.

Edit: And Gaborik, what about him. Has he played for the Hawks, yet?

Avatar
#421 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
December 02 2009, 07:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
BarryS wrote:

I'm not sure I agree with you, some players go through streaks of injury. Since each injury has been different, it's not the same as say, resigning Pisani who will never get over what he has and will always miss a lot of the season. And what's his name, the Dman in Vancouver, I think he is still there, is injured more than Khabbi and seems to get signed year after year.

Edit: And Gaborik, what about him. Has he played for the Hawks, yet?

~does gaborik have a sister who is in the hawks organization?~

Avatar
#422 TigerUnderGlass
December 02 2009, 07:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ogden Brother wrote:

"It's a good reason to make a good offer, but four times as long as the next best?"

Like I said, July 1 is fast and furious for the top players. Maybe the felt Bulin was head and shoulders above the rest (rightly or wrongly), and were worried that if they dicked around haggling over 2 years or 3 they could have lost him, and then have been forced to take what they felt was an inferior on ice player.

In fact I'd bet my house that is what happend.

Judging contracts is good and all, but we need to remember the important thing is signing good hockey players.

Good players >>>> Good contracts.

In other words, they were ignorant of the reality of the market.

Avatar
#423 BarryS
December 02 2009, 07:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Dan the Man wrote:

Speaking of Contracts....

Per Sportsnet:Reports suggest that Toews and Kane will both sign five-year extensions while Keith will get a 13-year deal.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/12/02/blackhawks_extensions/

Boy, I sure hope they like playing hockey more than say, partying, chasing women, driving fast cars. Seems a big chance to take on young guys. Money that comes whether you work or not seems to be a big disincentive to work. Sure hope I wrong, not a hawks fan but don't like to see lives ruined by to much to quick.

Avatar
#424 BarryS
December 02 2009, 07:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

In other words, they were ignorant of the reality of the market.

No more than GM's setting kids up for life so they don't ever have to perform again. At least Khabbi has a track record, whether you like it or not. Better to risk four years on an old guy than five on a kid whose money might go to his head.

And what market are you talking about, July 1's or August's or todays? They were a lot different you know,

Avatar
#425 Dan the Man
December 02 2009, 07:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
BarryS wrote:

I'm not sure I agree with you, some players go through streaks of injury. Since each injury has been different, it's not the same as say, resigning Pisani who will never get over what he has and will always miss a lot of the season. And what's his name, the Dman in Vancouver, I think he is still there, is injured more than Khabbi and seems to get signed year after year.

Edit: And Gaborik, what about him. Has he played for the Hawks, yet?

Not sure if you meant Gaborik or Hossa maybe? Either way you make a good point, Gaborik has had a long history of getting injured but he was offered a pretty good contract by the Rangers. Not that Sather should be used as any sort of guideline for acceptable contracts mind you. The Gaborik signing has worked out quite well for the Rangers so far.

Avatar
#426 RossCreekNation
December 02 2009, 07:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Dan the Man wrote:

Speaking of Contracts....

Per Sportsnet:Reports suggest that Toews and Kane will both sign five-year extensions while Keith will get a 13-year deal.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/12/02/blackhawks_extensions/

Ya, Dreger's had this up for a couple hours on his twitter. It's at TSN and I believe Jason & Robin talked about it on JAG.

twitter.com/DarrenDreger... Kane and Toews 5 yrs, $6.3 average. Keith 13 yrs, $5.5 average.

Avatar
#427 BarryS
December 02 2009, 07:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Dan the Man

You're right, I meant Gaborik but was think of Hossa. The point is, having been mostly injured for what, three years and having his team give up on him, he still got a good contract and he missed way more than 20 games a year the last three years.

Avatar
#428 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
December 02 2009, 07:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
BarryS wrote:

You're right, I meant Gaborik but was think of Hossa. The point is, having been mostly injured for what, three years and having his team give up on him, he still got a good contract and he missed way more than 20 games a year the last three years.

old guy, who signs his deal after age 35, decides to hang 'em up 2 years into his 4 year deal, leaving your team with a 3.75mil cap hit for 2 years and no player actually playing.

young guy signs a big $$$$ deal, gets hooked on hookers and blow and throws his career away. he can be buried in the minors and the cap hit goes bye bye. you still end up paying the actual salary, but if the player doesnt work out, there are still some avenues available to regain the cap space.

gaborik, for example, could rip his groin tomorrow and be done for his career. the rangers say bye bye to his cap hit, and insurance covers the rest.

Avatar
#429 RossCreekNation
December 02 2009, 07:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan

Good use of 'hookers and blow'.

*wonders what's on TSN2 now*

Avatar
#430 BarryS
December 02 2009, 07:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan wrote:

old guy, who signs his deal after age 35, decides to hang 'em up 2 years into his 4 year deal, leaving your team with a 3.75mil cap hit for 2 years and no player actually playing.

young guy signs a big $$$$ deal, gets hooked on hookers and blow and throws his career away. he can be buried in the minors and the cap hit goes bye bye. you still end up paying the actual salary, but if the player doesnt work out, there are still some avenues available to regain the cap space.

gaborik, for example, could rip his groin tomorrow and be done for his career. the rangers say bye bye to his cap hit, and insurance covers the rest.

Yah so, Khabbi's back turns out to be cronic. He has to retire due to injury. I expect there are exceptions for this as well. As for retiring just for retiring, there is no justification to expect he will, Rollie hasn't, what's his name the dman who just pulled the pin, played till what late 40's, Gordie Howe played into his fifties. There is some thought, Johnny Bowers was about fifty before he made the league.

Avatar
#431 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
December 02 2009, 07:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
RossCreekNation wrote:

Good use of 'hookers and blow'.

*wonders what's on TSN2 now*

sh**ty boxing on TSN2 right now.

and thanks, i thought hookers and blow had a better feel than midgets and heroin

Avatar
#432 Dan the Man
December 02 2009, 07:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
RossCreekNation wrote:

Ya, Dreger's had this up for a couple hours on his twitter. It's at TSN and I believe Jason & Robin talked about it on JAG.

twitter.com/DarrenDreger... Kane and Toews 5 yrs, $6.3 average. Keith 13 yrs, $5.5 average.

Based on those numbers the Hawks are very close to the cap next year with only 15 contracts, they will have some dealing to do.

Avatar
#433 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
December 02 2009, 07:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

there are also players that have retired leaving money on the table.

smith, naslund etc.

'bulins back being chronic would be the best thing to happen. at least LTIR could provide some help.

obviously, nobody knows for sure what will happen. signing a player over 35 to that long of a term is a huge risk given the unknowns in the future.

it very well could work out, i hope it does.

Avatar
#434 Dan the Man
December 02 2009, 07:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan wrote:

sh**ty boxing on TSN2 right now.

and thanks, i thought hookers and blow had a better feel than midgets and heroin

Hookers and Blow was more of an 80's thing, midgets and heroin was big in the 90's for the new millenium it's supermodels and meth.

Avatar
#435 BarryS
December 02 2009, 07:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan wrote:

there are also players that have retired leaving money on the table.

smith, naslund etc.

'bulins back being chronic would be the best thing to happen. at least LTIR could provide some help.

obviously, nobody knows for sure what will happen. signing a player over 35 to that long of a term is a huge risk given the unknowns in the future.

it very well could work out, i hope it does.

Of course, you pays your money you takes your chances. Just because you or I wouldn't doesn't make it wrong. Thing is, Tambo could be staking his job on it, we only stake future arthritis for all this typing on it.

Avatar
#436 BarryS
December 02 2009, 07:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Dan the Man wrote:

Hookers and Blow was more of an 80's thing, midgets and heroin was big in the 90's for the new millenium it's supermodels and meth.

Us old guys can't keep up, I still remember when it was booze and broads. You guys make me feel old or what.

Avatar
#437 BarryS
December 02 2009, 07:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Dan the Man wrote:

Based on those numbers the Hawks are very close to the cap next year with only 15 contracts, they will have some dealing to do.

You know, we've been hearing this since the first so far unfounded rumours the cap was going down and no big trades so far. All these Capologists or whatever they are keep finding loopholes. It would be fun to savage real trades for once instead of all these mythical ones we have to now.

Avatar
#438 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
December 02 2009, 07:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
BarryS wrote:

Of course, you pays your money you takes your chances. Just because you or I wouldn't doesn't make it wrong. Thing is, Tambo could be staking his job on it, we only stake future arthritis for all this typing on it.

fair enough.

i go on the assumption that, if it was considered a decent risk, more players over 35 would be signed to 4 year deals. Fact is, in this CBA, there have been very few.

maybe tambo will be looked at as a pioneer within this CBA for his outside the box thinking...

i dunno. this is starting to get in the same realm as Mact being a bad coach, the penner contract, and the horcoff contract. round and round and round and round we go, and in the end, it really means SFA.

Avatar
#439 RossCreekNation
December 02 2009, 07:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Dan the Man

The Hawks definately have some dealing to do, but there is no rush. The only reason there was to do so, was if they needed the space to sign these 3. So now that they've signed, they can go on with this roster for one big hurrah before making changes this summer. I'd suspect they'll wait to see how much they trust Cristobal Huet 2 months from now before they make any moves. For instance, if he shats the bed, I don't think they hesitate to bury him in the minors and make a trade for a guy like Kari Lehtonen, perhaps dealing a Versteeg/Byfuglien and recalling Jack Skille, thus creating some space on their own.

(ie: Lehtonen-3, Skille-1.25 VS. Huet-5.625, Versteeg/Byfuglien-3.0)

If the Hawks have the balls to bury Huet for good (that is unless the Washington Capitals wanna swap for Theodore), they can alleviate some of their worries for yet another year.

Avatar
#440 BarryS
December 02 2009, 07:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
RossCreekNation wrote:

The Hawks definately have some dealing to do, but there is no rush. The only reason there was to do so, was if they needed the space to sign these 3. So now that they've signed, they can go on with this roster for one big hurrah before making changes this summer. I'd suspect they'll wait to see how much they trust Cristobal Huet 2 months from now before they make any moves. For instance, if he shats the bed, I don't think they hesitate to bury him in the minors and make a trade for a guy like Kari Lehtonen, perhaps dealing a Versteeg/Byfuglien and recalling Jack Skille, thus creating some space on their own.

(ie: Lehtonen-3, Skille-1.25 VS. Huet-5.625, Versteeg/Byfuglien-3.0)

If the Hawks have the balls to bury Huet for good (that is unless the Washington Capitals wanna swap for Theodore), they can alleviate some of their worries for yet another year.

Don't know if the owner has enough money, wasn't his money in newspapers, not the best investment in the US right now? It's one thing to sink 3 million in the minors for a year or two, but 5.6 for four seems a bit much to expect an owner to swallow.

Avatar
#441 Dan the Man
December 02 2009, 07:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@RossCreekNation

Absolutely, I wasn't talking about dealing now, they are better off keeping this team together and going for it this year. They have no reason to deal as far as the cap goes this year but they will have to make some big deals in the summer.

Avatar
#442 BarryS
December 02 2009, 07:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan wrote:

fair enough.

i go on the assumption that, if it was considered a decent risk, more players over 35 would be signed to 4 year deals. Fact is, in this CBA, there have been very few.

maybe tambo will be looked at as a pioneer within this CBA for his outside the box thinking...

i dunno. this is starting to get in the same realm as Mact being a bad coach, the penner contract, and the horcoff contract. round and round and round and round we go, and in the end, it really means SFA.

But more and more players seem to be getting pushed out of the league at 33-34 in favour of rookies career minor leaguers willing to play for a million or two. Could be, if it works, it might become more common.

Avatar
#443 Eddie Shore
December 02 2009, 07:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

This thread gave me a headache.

So...... how about Tiger?

Avatar
#444 BarryS
December 02 2009, 07:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Eddie Shore wrote:

This thread gave me a headache.

So...... how about Tiger?

Now Gunner, don't tease the animals, that was my job. I've resigned, you don't want it though, poor pay, no future. That is if you meant the tiger who posts here.

If you mean the one who plays golf. Just another guy lets the little head do his thinking for him. I expect he should have married a bimbo not tougher than him though.

Avatar
#445 RossCreekNation
December 02 2009, 07:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@BarryS

In fairness, it would only be 2 1/2 years. They could also potentially loan him out to Russia.

Avatar
#446 RossCreekNation
December 02 2009, 07:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Eddie Shore

I heard Tiger is changing his name to Cheetah Woods

[rimshot]

*trumbones & horns playing rampantly*

har, har, har

Avatar
#447 Dan the Man
December 02 2009, 07:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Eddie Shore wrote:

This thread gave me a headache.

So...... how about Tiger?

Apparently this is Mark Spector's joke...they told it on the Team today.

What's the difference between Tiger Woods and Alex Burrow?

Burrows is still playing with Swedish twins.

Avatar
#448 BarryS
December 02 2009, 07:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
RossCreekNation wrote:

I heard Tiger is changing his name to Cheetah Woods

[rimshot]

*trumbones & horns playing rampantly*

har, har, har

I get it. But ain't no cheetah is he can be run down by the bimbo with the big boobs.

No wait, that's old time supermodels, the ones now got no boobs.

Avatar
#449 RossCreekNation
December 02 2009, 09:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

PsssssstT... wouldn't (an above) adequate revenge for the Glencross stealing (err signing) be for the Oil to steal (err sign) Rene Bourque this summer. He's an impending UFA, and you know... I'd be pretty ticked if thats what happened. Just saying... (pretty boring here lately, where art thou Towelshorts & jeanBoy?)

Avatar
#450 Ogden Brother
December 02 2009, 09:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ TUG

"In other words, they were ignorant of the reality of the market."

I'm pretty sure they had a good grasp on Rollie. I'm also pretty sure they aren't the only management team that had question marks regarding Biron.... I mean the guy was let go in favor of a player that was ran right out of the league.

Comments are closed for this article.