Oilers vs. Blues Postgame: Record Setters

Jonathan Willis
December 11 2009 11:25PM

Oilers: 5

Blues: 3

It was really two games tonight; the first half where the Blues dominated, and the second half where the Oilers dominated. Regardless, the Oilers came out of it with the victory, and in so doing improbably set the franchise record for consecutive wins on the same road trip. Crazy stuff.

Three Stars, According To Me

1. The First Line. It might be a bit of a cop-out, but it’s true. Plus-4 on the night, with a combined nine points, this was the unit that drove the Oilers offensively. There were some bad moments early (both Brule and Gagner had brutal, brutal giveaways) and the bounces certainly went their way, but Penner’s size and strength were simply unstoppable and both Gagner and Brule were lethal in concert with him.

2. Shawn Horcoff. Horcoff took a whopping 28 faceoffs tonight, only six of them in the offensive zone, and he won 20 of them. He was brilliant in the third, scoring the winner on a play where he did pretty much all of the hard work. Not only that but he was double-shifted for most of the third period, and he left the ice for just over 30 seconds in the final three minutes as Quinn rode the heck out of him to hang on to the lead (he took Gagner’s spot on the top line in the defensive zone).

3. Lubomir Visnovsky. Asked to step into the breach after Sheldon Souray was ejected for unsportsmanlike behavior, Visnovsky was admirable, playing just a hair under 25 minutes. He may have had only a single assist on the night, but he was a big part of moving the puck in the right direction, and led the Oilers with a plus-12 Corsi rating.

Random Thoughts

Since that was such a fun game, let’s get the negativity out of the way early. The pairing of Steve Staios and Jason Strudwick was beyond brutal. Of the Blues 22 even-strength scoring chances, 12 happened with Steve Staios on the ice. Nine happened with Strudwick on the ice. By eye and by number they were dominated by the Blues. While we’re on the negative, let’s also mention the Souray elbowing penalty and unsportsmanlike call – for a guy who often plays on the edge of legality (and he does) he gets a lot of calls in his favour, and nights like tonight are going to go a long way to making him a marked man for NHL referees. Lastly, the penalty kill: I’m not sure what Penner, O’Sullivan and Staios were thinking on the Oshie power play goal, but whatever it was it wasn’t NHL penalty-killing.

Andrew Cogliano had a few chances tonight, but I really wanted to make note of his shooting percentage. Here it is for this season and the two prior:

• 2007-08: 18.4%
  • 2008-09: 15.5%
  • 2009-10: 6.7%

Guess which way it’s going to go.

Great fight between J-F Jacques and B.J. Crombeen; both deserve credit for hanging in that long.

Anyone else catch the play where Souray wanted to fight Brad Winchester, but Stortini intervened? The announcers figured that Stortini knew that the Oilers needed Souray on the ice, but I couldn’t help wondering if Stortini was just trying to save his old teammate from an ugly beating. I’m probably wrong, but that’s what went through my head.

I also thought that Tom Gilbert had a quietly effective game; given what he’s done so far this year “quietly effective” is more than welcome.

Zack Stortini didn’t see the ice for the last 10 minutes of the game, and O’Sullivan and Jacques were benched for the last five. Jacques only played 5:11 on the night, although he did miss some time because of his fight.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#51 Racki
December 12 2009, 11:28AM

@Rob

I think it's silly to think that Hemsky is a detriment to the team, directly. However, I think there is something to be said about the mental side of having him in or out of a game. I think it's a possibility that with Hemsky in the line-up, other players take too many nights off. With him out (edit: oops i said in, originally), more guys are realizing that they have to step up their game to make up for the loss. I actually would have to say that the dependency on Hemsky was far more evident in the MacTavish-era though. I think this team is more about the balanced attack (although our top line picks up more of the slack than any other line).

Really the parts are interchangeable on this team. As long as there is still a guy on the roster somewhere with a similar enough skill set, the team's look/feel won't be dramatically changed.

#52 Paq Twinn
December 12 2009, 11:29AM

Anonymous said... Great 3rd Period by the Oilers. Before that they sucked. But a win is a win and it's nice to see 5 in a row beside the Oilers name. And not 5 losses in a row like most of us predicted a few weeks ago.FULL RECAP HERE! http://oilersnation.com/2009/12/11/oilers-vs-blues-postgame-record-setters

Just wanted to share this little gem from the Oilers Jambalaya comment section. It's too bad no one took credit for that bang on analogy. Guess they were scared of getting reconized for what/who they REALLY are. I guess the biggest problem with this, is when I came to look at the FULL RECAP, here at OilersNation all I found was a few post game thoughts, NOT a FULL GAME RECAP.

#53 freeze
December 12 2009, 11:32AM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

This was widely mis-reported going into the game, notably by Tychkowski at The Sun and the Sportsnet broadcast crew.

The team sent out a post-game email claiming the record too. Edit: as does the Journal. It is grasping at straws a little bit but you have to take what positives you can right now.

#54 Paq Twinn
December 12 2009, 11:32AM

@Brownlee and @Willis

I believe it was record, but for wins on a single road trip. The Oilers did win 8 in row back in the 80's but it was 2 different road trips. This is still an accompishment, esspecailly for this team.

#55 Jenga
December 12 2009, 11:41AM
GSC wrote:

Note to Tambo: get Brule and Stone re-signed.

Immediately.

I believe this is the kind of thinking that got us the over pays for Horcoff, Pisani, torres, etc., etc., etc.

#56 Paq Twinn
December 12 2009, 11:42AM

@Willis

Your post game thoughts were great tonight. Thats exactly how I seen it as well.

#57 Antony Ta
December 12 2009, 11:42AM
Racki wrote:

Racki you read my mind!

#58 Paq Twinn
December 12 2009, 11:44AM
Jenga wrote:

Re-sign YES. Overpay NO.

#59 OILERSORDEATH
December 12 2009, 11:45AM

Really? Did they play that bad in the first half of the game? Did they not hit 3 posts? It didnt seem like St. Louis really dominated them that seem like a stretch. Were the shots on goal that lopsided?

#60 hyneser
December 12 2009, 11:46AM

I think it is unbelievable our beloved oilers go on quite the run here 5 games 5 wins on the road or not that's 10 points for the good guys snd yet even with that fans are still not happy??? And then we boo guys like heatley who doesn't want to come here?? I wouldn't want to come here either even if the boys win fans aren't happy I just don't understand.....

#61 Ducey
December 12 2009, 11:47AM

Cogs' shooting percentage will go up - eventually. Before that will happen he needs to be sent to the farm to get his mojo back and learn to take a faceoff. I think this is last year they can send him down without exposing him to waivers, and it should happen as soon as they get Pisani or Pouliot or Comrie back. Heck, bring O'Mara back up and send Cogs down.

This would be the best for all concerned in the longrun and frankly short term. He is a shadow of what he was in his rookie season.

#62 TonyT
December 12 2009, 11:47AM

@ Willis

I couldn't help but think the same thing when Stortini stepped in on Winchester/Souray. Stortini better get a huge ass christmas gift because he was about to receive a 'Highlight of the Night'esque beatdown.

#63 bigrroberto
December 12 2009, 11:49AM

I dont mind Souray getting kicked out. Sure its dumb of him to push the limit to the point where it got him kicked out, but it shows that he's playing with the emotion and want to win. Its something that I think the other players noticed. It was a slap in the face to the rest of the team to get their heads in the game, which they obviously did. They were all mostly playing like a bunch of Sourays in the third period. This is just another example of why he should be the captain.

#65 Horcsky
December 12 2009, 11:53AM

Hey JW or Robin, does Horcoff taking all those faceoffs last night mean that his shoulder is feeling better?

#68 Horcsky
December 12 2009, 11:58AM

@Jonathan Willis

Let's hope so. He really seems to be playing well and that goal he had was all hard work with a bit of finish.

#70 Paq Twinn
December 12 2009, 12:05PM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

I assume that was in response to Ray's comment (#6) which could have come across as attempting to divert the conversation over there.

I didn't take it that way, especially since you guys did have a really comprehensive recap and deserved some traffic, but that would be my guess.

No I was actually reffering to a coment posted at OJ that directed me over here to ON. Ray's comment was posted here, before anomynous's was posted at OJ. They do seem eerily familar though.

ps. thanks for the compliment.

#71 GSC
December 12 2009, 12:11PM
Jenga wrote:

Who said anything about an overpay?

IMO, if you re-sign them now, you avoid overpayment.

#73 Paq Twinn
December 12 2009, 12:16PM
Smokin' Ray wrote:

It was a whole whopping 9 sentences. Wow! Gripping stuff.

I have to agree with you Ray. That was the poorest attempt at a post game anything I have ever seen. (St.Louis Game Time)

#74 Paq Twinn
December 12 2009, 12:24PM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

@ Paq Twinn:

I know. What I was suggesting was that anonymous:

1. Came here. 2. Saw Ray's comment. 3. Went to your site. 4. Imitated Ray's comment there, except in reverse.

I guess anonymous doesn't really know what he's talking about,or what a full game re-cap is. Oh well, what can you do?. Poor misinformed soul, he probably thought that St.Louis Game Time was a good read.lol

#76 freeze
December 12 2009, 12:58PM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

I dunno; I thought the St. Louis Game Time post was pretty funny. I also thought we might recognize ourselves a little bit in some of the fan comments; there's a lot that's comparable between these two teams and their fanbases, last night's game notwithstanding.

That's a good point. I would suggest that the same logic can carry to the argument that players won't come here because of the fans. Do the fans really change a player's mind? We are bipolar fans but not that different from most markets or sports. They boo like crazy in Montreal. I doubt that players pay that much attention to it.

#77 GLoKz0r
December 12 2009, 01:00PM

Unreal... we go on a tear for 5 games in a row, and suddenly the reason we've been losing is Hemsky?

I will seriously never understand some of our fans and their willingness to just throw Hemsky away like a disposable razor the minute the team seems to have ANY success without him.

I shake my head in disgust.

#78 JorgeR
December 12 2009, 01:35PM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

The Probability of 5 in a Row:

I thought this might be interesting, just as a baseline, assuming that I remember how to calculate simple probabilities.

If the Oilers have a 1 in 3 chance of winning every road game, than they have a 1 in 9 chance of winning two in a row, and a 1 in 27 chance of winning three in a row. In other words, every second season we'd expect a team that bad to win three in a row on the road (41 road games per season).

Winning five in a row is an unlikely, but not impossible 1 in 243 chance. And that's for a very bad team (IIRC, the 06-07 Oilers were a .32 team on the road, or just a hair worse than this fictional team).

In short, it's a little early to start complaining that Hemsky's the problem, or plotting out trade deadline acquisitions. This recent stretch is encouraging, but it could be an anomaly.

I don't consider the fact that they won the previous game have that much affect on the probability of winning the next game. Other then injuries suffered, overconfidence and fatigue, I think the probability of winning any game kind of stands out on its own depending on what the quality of team we are playing is.

for ex. probability of beating Detroit, .414, probability of beating Dallas, .389, ... probability of beating St. Louis, .542.. ha these as just dumb numbers I made up but do we really have to look at the next game as probability of winning is 1/3 * 1/3 * 1/3 * 1/3 * 1/3 * 1/3. or is it more realistic to think the probability is around .5

#79 Lofty
December 12 2009, 01:39PM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

The Probability of 5 in a Row:

Cant forget the law of independent events... gets me on the roulette wheel every time.

#80 JorgeR
December 12 2009, 01:43PM

@Lofty

Thats probably a lot easier way of saying my point :P

#81 Jason Gregor
December 12 2009, 02:03PM
Ducey wrote:

Cogliano would have had to clear waivers at the start of the year because he had already played more than 160 games. He has to clear waivers no, so ZERO chance he gets sent down.

#82 Jason Gregor
December 12 2009, 02:07PM

""Any thoughts on O'Sullivan's play? With the way Nilson's been playing these past few games, I would rather have him with Horcoff on the second line. O'Sullivan/Horcoff/Jacques are 2 shooters with a grinder. With O'Sullivan on the fourth and Stone and Stortini crashing the net might yield better results."""

You shouldn't change any lines when you've won five in a row. Nilsson might earn that spot after a more good games...But no reason to change now, and there is no way someone should suggest juggling players that would change the bottom three lines.

O'Sullivan needs to start scoring, and switching him with Nilsson won't automatically make him play better because he is with Stone and Stortini.

Status quo for now...Quinn will change the lines for certain shifts, like every GOOD coach does, but I don't see him switching them to try and get O'Sullivan going.

#83 Harlie
December 12 2009, 02:22PM

WHY ATHLETES CAN'T HAVE REGULAR JOBS. Words to live by!

1. Chicago Cubs outfielder Andre Dawson on being a role model: "I wan all dem kids to do what I do, to look up to me. I wan all the kids to copulate me."

2. New Orleans Saint RB George Rogers when asked about the upcoming season: "I want to rush for 1,000 or 1,500 yards, whichever comes first"

3. And, upon hearing Joe Jacobi of the 'Skin's say: "I'd run over my own mother to win the Super Bowl," Matt Millen of the Raiders said: "To win, I'd run over Joe's Mom, too."

4. Torrin Polk, University of Houston receiver, on his coach, John Jenkins: "He treats us like men. He lets us wear earrings.."

5. Football commentator and former player Joe Theismann: "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

6. Senior basketball player at the University of Pittsburgh : "I'm going to graduate on time, no matter how long it takes." (Now that is beautiful)

7. Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach: "You guys line up alphabetically by height." And, "You guys pair up in groups of three, and then line up in a circle."

8. Boxing promoter Dan Duva on Mike Tyson going to prison: "Why would anyone expect him to come out smarter? He went to prison for three years, not Princeton ."

10. Lou Duva, veteran boxing trainer, on the Spartan training regime of heavyweight Andrew Golota: "He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning, regardless of what time it is."

11. Chuck Nevitt , North Carolina State basketball player, explaining to Coach Jim Valvano why he appeared nervous at practice: "My sister's expecting a baby, and I don't know if I'm going to be an uncle or an aunt."

12. Frank Layden , Utah Jazz president, on a former player: "I told him, 'Son, what is it with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, 'Coach, I don't know and I don't care.'"

13. Shelby Metcalf, basketball coach at Texas A&M, recounting what he told a player who received four F's and one D: "Son, looks to me like you're spending too much time on one subject."

14. In the words of NC State great Charles Shackelford I can go to my left or right, I am amphibious.

15. Amarillo High School and Oiler coach Bum Phillips when asked by Bob Costas why he takes his wife on all the road trips, Phillips responded: "Because she is too damn ugly to kiss good-bye."

#84 Rob
December 12 2009, 02:24PM
Racki wrote:

Racki, read your quote: I think it's silly to think that Hemsky is a detriment to the team, directly. However, I think there is something to be said about the mental side of having him in or out of a game. I think it's a possibility that with Hemsky in the line-up, other players take too many nights off. With him out (edit: oops i said in, originally), more guys are realizing that they have to step up their game to make up for the loss.

I believe that's pretty much what I tried to convey. Hemsky in the line-up...poor team play. Hemsky out much improved team play. That would be the perfect example of a player who is a detriment to team performance...Duh!

#85 RossCreekNation
December 12 2009, 03:50PM

@Harlie

There's some pretty funny quotes in there for sure, however...

WHY ATHLETES CAN'T HAVE REGULAR JOBS... 9. Stu Grimson, Chicago Blackhawks left wing, explaining why he keeps a color photo of himself above his locker: "That's so when I forget how to spell my name, I can still find my clothes."

a) I'm sure that was tongue-in-cheek

and

b) Stu Grimson has a law degree and was involved with the NHLPA throughout his playing days and beyond.

#86 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
December 12 2009, 03:52PM
Rob wrote:

the sample size is still quite small.

lets see where the team is after game 82.

#87 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
December 12 2009, 04:34PM
Lofty wrote:

Does that apply here? He's not trying to predict the probability of winning the next game, he's trying to illustrate the probability of several events occurring in a specific pattern.

If 3 babies are born in a hospital at the same time, and 2 are male, what's the probability that the next one is female?

^ In that case, your law of independent events applies because the probability of the events preceding the third birth have no effect on it.

If you're trying to predict the likelihood of 3 babies being born, and all 3 being male, the probabilities each individual event affect the probability of all 3 events happening in a specific way.

#88 Rigger
December 12 2009, 06:42PM

Horc's shoulder must be feeling a lot better, he was great on faceoffs last night. Both Horc and Gags were 71.4% on faceoffs.

#89 Racki
December 12 2009, 08:17PM
Rob wrote:

"Detriment to team performance" could be taken many ways though, and I wasn't sure what you're implying. I was saying that I don't think he's a detriment in the sense that his play isn't good enough. It's more that people around him aren't pulling their weight while he's in the line up.

The other way to take it is that Hemsky is a detriment because he's not a very good team player - hogs the puck, doesn't use linemates effectively, etc., etc. - which I don't believe at all.

In fact, as someone else mentioned, it's way too early to tell if it's because he's out that the team is playing better. Plus there's far too many other factors involved as well.

#90 Lofty
December 12 2009, 08:18PM
Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things wrote:

Its one game at a time and one team is going to win each game. The part of JW's post that I have a problem with is the 1/3. Every game has 2 teams, one must win and one must loose. I don’t think using the winning % of only road games can give you a reliable probability of a team winning 5 in a row. Even if the teams road average is 1/3, in every game the true probability of winning is 1/2.

#91 Milli
December 12 2009, 08:45PM
Harlie wrote:

WHY ATHLETES CAN'T HAVE REGULAR JOBS. Words to live by!

damn man that is funny stuff!!!

#92 mowgli
December 13 2009, 12:33AM
GLoKz0r wrote:

I shake my head in disgust.

x2

There are many factors why we're winning, and when we're losing. eg.Goalies,healthy D-lines, horcoff and so on and so on. Hemsky is a top player with skill. If we ever happen to make the playoffs hemmer would be a key part for a run at the cup. when he's on his game Defence sh*t there pants when he's comeing in one on one with speed.

Hemsky needs to pick the cornners of the nets more, when he comes around the back of net on the rap-around pick the top left cornner.

He has great passes too.

#93 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
December 13 2009, 01:00AM
Lofty wrote:

You can't argue that the odds are 1/2 when the Sharks play the Hurricanes. Just because there are 2 possible outcomes doesn't mean they have an equal chance of occurring.

Teams have an advantage when they play at home. Fan support is important, and so is not having to travel the night before.

#94 rindog
December 13 2009, 03:07PM
Rob wrote:

I'm certainly not the first to notice but it is rather coincidental that without Hemmer there is a dramatic improvement in team play. I wonder how Oiler management will respond if, and its a big if, the team performs well through the end of the schedule without Hemmer.

Is the improved responsiveness of the team Quinn's coaching regime or is it a players 'me- first step aside boys' style being absent?

Has Hemmer been allowed to think he's the man to the detriment of team play? I have watched his on-ice posture and he sure carries himself like a spoiled suck at times. He was getting his points this year but the team was abysmal. He is absent and the team thrives not- withstanding this is only a 5 game stretch.

The Oil were smaller than the sum of their various parts earlier this year with Hemsky and now seem to me to be larger than the sum of those same parts.

I think the answer to this may be a while developing. But let's see how the rest of the schedule goes.

The notion of our team being better without Hemsky is ridiculous.

We just recently got Stone and Jacques back in (and in game shape). Those guys totally change the way in which our team can play.

Add Hemsky to the roster we have right now and we are a MUCH better team.

#95 Original Ogden Brother
December 13 2009, 04:12PM

"Take alook at the opposition we faced during the 5 game trip. Not exactly world beaters.

The notion of our team being better without Hemsky is ridiculous.

Add Hemsky to the roster we have right now and we are a MUCH better team."

Penner/Gagner/Brule Hemsky/Horcoff/O'sully

looks like a pretty sold top 6 for next year.

#96 rindog
December 13 2009, 04:23PM
Original Ogden Brother wrote:

The notion of our team being better without Hemsky is ridiculous.

Add Hemsky to the roster we have right now and we are a MUCH better team."

Penner/Gagner/Brule Hemsky/Horcoff/O'sully

looks like a pretty sold top 6 for next year.

Too bad we couldn't move Horcoff for a Mike Fisher, Scott Hartnell type player.

#97 Ogden Brother
December 13 2009, 10:42PM

@ rindog

Horcoff is a Mike Fisher type player.

#98 Chickenplucker
December 14 2009, 10:09AM

@Original Ogden Brother

I'm not so sure about O'sully in the top 6. Maybe Eberle?

#99 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
December 14 2009, 10:36AM
Chickenplucker wrote:

I'm not so sure about O'sully in the top 6. Maybe Eberle?

I've learned my leason about counting on rookies/young players to produce.