Oilers vs. Predators Postgame: Pat Quinn Should've Saved His Rant

Jonathan Willis
December 18 2009 12:33AM

Nashville Predators: 6

Edmonton Oilers: 3

Pat Quinn should have saved his rant for this game; the Oilers looked far worse tonight than they did against Los Angeles.

Oilers Three Stars, According To Me

1. Robert Nilsson. A beautiful power play night for Nilsson, who scored two goals and threw a big hit too. The second goal was a gorgeous little deke that had everyone excited – well, everyone other than Pat Quinn, who sounded less than impressed in his post-game press conference. His six shots was twice as many as any other forward.

2. Gilbert Brule. Had a solid game, regardless of which line he played on. One assist on the night and a few good chances; I’m still trying to figure out why he got demoted off the first line, and more importantly why Quinn slashed his ice-time tonight.

3. Ryan Stone. I was baffled by Stone’s demotion to the fourth line, particularly given that Quinn opted to replace him with Patrick O’Sullivan. He’s been a legitimate find this year; an NHL player who came from well back to earn a spot, and from where I sit he’s one of the nine best forwards on this team.

Random Thoughts

Pat Quinn took shots at a bunch of unnamed players, rather strongly suggesting that there are guys on the team who care more about individual achievement than they do about team achievement. He also flat-out stated that some of the veterans were a big part of the problem.

J-F Jacques played far and away the fewest minutes of any forward, with 6:30; the next lowest total belonged to Zack Stortini, who just missed the 10:0 minute mark. I wonder if his 0/5 run on scoring chances had anything to do with that.

It was nice to see the MacTavish line blender out in full force as the game wore on; I was watching line matchups all game and it seemed like Quinn had planned to run Horcoff & Co. against the Erat, Arnott and Sullivan line, but once he abandoned that players started getting subbed in all over the place.

Line changes keep killing this team. Nashville’s fourth goal racked up a minus for Horcoff, Nilsson and O’Sullivan, but it wasn’t remotely deserved. Zack Stortini didn’t get the puck deep, and then his line (I believe Moreau and Cogliano were the other two guys) meandered over to the bench for the change. Horcoff jumped on to the ice at one point but had to jump back off to avoid a too many men penalty; by the time his trio finally did manage to get on the ice it was far too late.

The Steve Staios holding penalty in the third period brought the phrase “cascade failure” to mind. Most hockey plays aren’t the result of a single, definable error; rather they’re caused by a series of errors. In quality control this is generally known as “cascade failure”. In any case, the first failure was Denis Grebeshkov (who had a brutal night) whiffing on a pass. Than Jeff Deslauriers got ambitious and chucked the puck away rather than covering it; the puck ended up on a Nashville stick. Then the Oilers played ring around the rosy for a while before Staios finally got whistled. Team effort.

Dustin Penner took a beating from the refs tonight, and was quite correctly livid about it.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#51 KenMcC
December 18 2009, 05:17PM
rubbertrout wrote:

i dont even need to give reasoning or stats for my opinions, truth speaks for it self. as long as our core of guys are these "veteran/leaders" who couldnt be all-stars in a beer league, we will suck. trust me. how do u expect POS to give a fcuk, when horcoff sucks worse then he does and POS is being called out. i wonder if he took a page out of the penner book from last year. remember the team sucked, but only penner and nillson were in the dog house, never horcoff never moreau. you cant expect these players to take the organization and the coaches serious, when this junk is hapening. they are not fools, they can see whats going on and i am not suprised they arent connectiong with the hypocritical coaches and management

So why was MacT stumping for Horc to be on the Olympic squad earlier this year? He doesn't owe anything to the Oilers now that he is an analyst? Your logic makes no sense as usual.

Please tell me if it is true that MacT wanted Horcoff on the Olympic team. Unforkingbeleivable.

#52 I Miss Stanley
December 18 2009, 05:26PM
KenMcC wrote:

Yes, I know, I thought he was joking when I first heard it. He was touting Whiffcoff's decent (at the time) faceoff percentage I believe.

#53 Jae
December 18 2009, 05:27PM

Game was so exciting last night, I managed to catch a pair of guys on camera, passed right out.

#54 I Miss Stanley
December 18 2009, 05:41PM

The only thing more exciting than the game was being 11 numbers off the 50/50. Winning ticket was from the same book that my 5 tickets were purchased from. So not only was I the closest I have ever been to winning the 50/50 in 10 years, the game was one of the most frustrating. FML

#55 KenMcC
December 18 2009, 05:56PM

My vote for the Olympic Dream team No. 1 power play unit:

Centre: Marc Andre Poilet LW: Toby Petersen RW: Jason Strudwick Defenseman: Igor Ulanov Quarterback (on the blue line): Shawn ScoreOff Goalie: Michael Morrison

(Sorry, I didn't check to see where these guys were born.)

#56 Sammy D
December 18 2009, 05:57PM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

The way he is coaching has an extremly short shelf life. It maight not be one year, but it's not much longer then that.

...as i've mentioned though, I'm thinking it's intentional.

Is stepping down the same as stepping up? In this case up to the front office.

I've always questioned why Quinn came here in the first place, espeically after Renney signed on. Unless they knew that Tambo and/or KLowe were going to be gone after this year and they wanted to create a transition plan...

Forward thinking by the Oilers? What am I thinking? Sorry about that... won't let it happen again.

#57 KenMcC
December 18 2009, 06:04PM

Tambi is pathetic, but what really makes it bad is how he is so quick to justify his actions. He blames his inaction on a general "lack of deals being made across the league". He blames his inaction on a desire to see just "what sort of team we have once we get healthy". He blames his inaction on the fact that it is "a very difficult league to get wins". He steadfastly believes we don't need a number one centre because we have one already (puke).

It sours my stomach to listen to him. I don't even think he's lying to us -- he just truly is that lame. I know that Quinn and he worked together once. Do you think Quinn knew he was getting into a situation with a lousy GM when he agreed to coach?

No question that Quinn cares about winning. I don't think Tambi does, though.

#58 jeanshorts
December 18 2009, 07:01PM

@KenMcC

I think it's a little presumptuous to assume Tambo doesn't care about winning. I think it's just a case of a guy being in way over his head. I imagine he sat there for all those years as Burke's/Nonis'/Gillis' sidekick and thought to himself "well if these guys can do it why the hell can't I?" And then he actually got a GM job and found out there was a little more to it than signing contracts, talking on the phone and watching hockey games.

I'm still willing to cut him a tiny bit of slack, since he did inherit this clusterf*ck of a team. But he's situated firmly in the bed right now, and I'm pretty sure he can feel the turtle head starting to poke out a little bit. I assume it's only a matter of time before he officially craps the bed. Who knows though. Hopefully we're all completely wrong and he pulls a rabbit out of his hat this summer and this team can start living up to our fairly low expectations. I won't hold my breath though.

#59 Original Ogden Brother
December 18 2009, 07:09PM

"The only thing worst than that would be if MacT iced Toby Peterson or M. Poilet in the final minute of the Gold medal game."

Did you know Toby played the point on the PP in the Western conference finals ... on a team not named the Oilers?

#60 Original Ogden Brother
December 18 2009, 07:12PM

@ Jeanshorts

Was he really handed a cluster of a team though?

He has 2 mid to high end first liners

3 mid to high end second liners (and two more guys that should be there)

Arguably a top 10 dman (Vish)

I guy that's been arguably a top 10 dman (Souray)

Other then a starting goalie, the holes he needed to fill were role players (ie the guys that went in the Vish trade) to at least be competitive, those players are both cheap and relatively easy to find.

#61 RossCreekNation
December 18 2009, 08:14PM

To Whom It May Concern

#26 ronaldo December 17 2009, 03:10PM

Alright, it's 12*17*09, where the hell are you RossCreek?

Would you believe that I broke my 3G connection as I was about to start my day of internetting yesterday? And would you then believe that after pouting & sulking like my Oiler "star" Patrick O'Sullivan, I headed to my local BP's to administer a substantial beatdown to my liver, drinking gin & tonic doubles from 4 til midnight (sprinkled in with random shooter debauchery), completely missing the Flames-Kings *12/17/09* matchup because the Oiler game and the NFL game were already on the TV's? (By the way, another "stellar" performance from the Oil.)

Well if you believe all of that, then surely you'll believe that a mixture of pizza, gt's and grape juice came spewing out of my mouth in the shower at 10:30 this morning.

Yup... my first day with the Nation and I'm already doing my best Wanye impersonations. That is correct. 12/17/09 was to be my first post-game summary over at FlamesNation.ca

With an invitation from Wanye a month and a half ago, I recently decided I'd give it a go.

A day late and a dollar short. Pushed back like a Dr. Dre album. Just like 30's the new 20, *12/19/09* is the new 12/17/09.

For those willing to take the odd gander away from ON (just for a sec) to check out FlamesNation from time to time, see ya there. Those that are "all-Oil, all-the-time", I understand. I won't take it personal... just like you shouldn't take it personal that 'my' team is better than 'your' team ;-b

*Oh... and props to Ogden Bro for calling it and to ronaldo for ~caring~*

**Now lets watch us some Ovechkin!! DOWN WITH THE 'NUCKS!!**

#62 Pajamah
December 18 2009, 08:14PM
Original Ogden Brother wrote:

@ Jeanshorts

Was he really handed a cluster of a team though?

He has 2 mid to high end first liners

3 mid to high end second liners (and two more guys that should be there)

Arguably a top 10 dman (Vish)

I guy that's been arguably a top 10 dman (Souray)

Edit: 1 mid level 1st liner (hemsky) 2 mid level 2nd liners (horcoff,penner)

I'll give you the 2 good D though

The problem isn't that we have enough talent and no role guys, it's that we have a terrible combo of both. We need a gamebreaker just as badly as we needed Ryan Stone

#63 British Wanye
December 18 2009, 08:56PM

Good show Ross Creek! Pip pip and all that!

Man I miss home. How has baggedmilk been able to stay away so long?

*looks out window wistfully*

#64 RossCreekNation
December 18 2009, 09:08PM

@British Wanye

When are you coming home dude?

* This is how I picture British Wanye*

#65 Hemmertime
December 18 2009, 11:42PM
KenMcC wrote:

My vote for the Olympic Dream team No. 1 power play unit:

(Sorry, I didn't check to see where these guys were born.)

Okay since no one has pointed it out I feel it is my duty to say this.

REALLY? I understand not checking where someone is born and throwing down a Patrick Kane, or following along your theme of crappy players Eric Weinrich (Americans) but...

Igor? IGOR?!?! Igor F*cking Ulanov? The first thing to come to mind is a good ol' boy from Saskatoon for you?!? What other place could he be from? The only other name with more connotation would be камрад Иван По-русски - for you heathen that is Comrade Ivan Smirnov. Igor god damned Ulanov... sigh.

He is Russian by the way.

#66 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
December 19 2009, 07:08AM
I Miss Stanley wrote:

he said horcoff was the best 5 on 3 penalty killer in the league

#67 I Miss Stanley
December 19 2009, 08:07AM
cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan wrote:

he said horcoff was the best 5 on 3 penalty killer in the league

That's right, it's coming back to me ....

"I'm going off the board with Shawn Horcoff," MacTavish said. "Terrific role player, the best three-on-five penalty killer in the game, and when you get into those situations, you're going to wish he was there to fill the role".

This was on TSN's "The Quiz" when asked if he could pick any player for Team Canada that was not at the summer training camp.

#68 Pajamah
December 19 2009, 10:48AM
Hemmertime wrote:

Okay since no one has pointed it out I feel it is my duty to say this.

He is Russian by the way.

I'm not so sure

You've never met the Ulanov's of Andrew,AB have you

hahaha, absolutely fantastic

#69 Pajamah
December 19 2009, 10:50AM
I Miss Stanley wrote:

That's right, it's coming back to me ....

Same guy who compared Reasoner to Sakic.

If youre the coach, or once was the coach, you dont just drink the koolaid, you're the spoon that stirs the koolaid

#70 Ogden Brother
December 19 2009, 12:13PM

"Same guy who compared Reasoner to Sakic."

And yet Quinn seems to agree with him regarding who the best all-around Oilers forward is.

Hmmmm, 2 proffesional coaches with 70 years combined at the NHL level or a bunch of fans... who could be right?

#71 Brandon
December 19 2009, 01:16PM
I Miss Stanley wrote:

That's right, it's coming back to me ....

I loved when Duthie said after "so you think Canada is going to be killing alot of 5 on 3's?"

MacT "well they're going to have to kill one eventually"

#72 Pajamah
December 19 2009, 02:10PM
Ogden Brother wrote:

"Same guy who compared Reasoner to Sakic."

Hey, nowhere did I say Horcoff isn't useful or a good player, my arguement is that Horcoff shouldn't make the Olympic team, and that Mac-T's judgement is skewed/horribly biased

Misrepresenting what I'm saying seems to be the in thing around here

#73 Petr's Jofa
December 19 2009, 02:38PM

@Pajamah

In defence of MacT, the question to MacT was poised at the beginning of the year (Oct 8th) and it was which player not invited to Team Canada's Olympic camp will make the team. It's not like he came out of now where and said Horcoff was better than the 40 other players at the August camp.

MacT went off the board and didn't pick Savard. It was a reach but if Horcoff could have matched his pre-injury 2007-08 all-star worthy output, his name would be in consideration. As we all know now, he hasn't come close.

#74 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
December 19 2009, 02:38PM

Anyone else have this feeling of impending doom for tonight's game? I almost picked Washington to win on my ticket for tonight.

#75 Petr's Jofa
December 19 2009, 02:49PM

Being 7 points out of a playoff spot but only 3 points away from the #2 lottery pick I really don't know what outcome "impending doom" is related to.

#76 devoknows
December 19 2009, 04:38PM

Horcoff isn't in the top 25 all around players today nor was he in the top 25 on Oct 8. Very biased comment by Mac T.

#77 Petr's Jofa
December 19 2009, 10:09PM
devoknows wrote:

No, but he was an All-Star in 2007-08.