GDB XXXVIII: A new beginning in the same old year

bingofuel
December 26 2009 11:14AM

After a brief two-day respite from Oilers' hockey, the team of apparent have-nots are left-coast bound today as they take on the Vancouver Canucks at GM Place. And I'm not going to lie to you, Nationeers, things haven't been so rosy at OilersNation lately.

Let's recap, shall we: after going 5-0 on the road, the Oilers then went 0-5 — with four of those games taking place at RX1 — completely nullifying fan excitement and causing some people to renounce their season-ticket status. About the only bright light over the last five games was the fact that Oil fans got to see Alexander Ovechkin live; as you'll recall, his Capitals squad mopped the bloody ice with the hapless Oilers.

Now it might not be the New Year yet, but after a two-day pause now is the time for the Oilers to resolve to begin demolishing teams. The Canucks are 6-4-0 in their last 10, which isn't that much better than the Oilers when you think about it. Oh sure, they have a much better season record than the Oil (21-16-0 vs 15-18-04), but in the immortal words of the Black Eyed Peas, tonight's gonna be a real good night.

And if it's not, I'll eat this new sweater Santa brought me.

The Sounds of Silence

Meanwhile, OilersNation is a ghost town. Gregor's off to Costa Rica, Wanye's still exploring the planet, Willis is welding random pieces of metal together in Fort St John, I'm stuck in Calgary, and Brownlee Claus is beating the shit out of all the bad kids with giant coal-filled red sacks.

Yep, it's been a quiet Christmas here on the internets.

Here's hoping the deafening silence is enough to get this squad of n'er-do-wells to actually, you know, play a proper hockey game. Because the moment this cluster of insufferably poor players repeats what they've done for the last five games, I have World Juniors and the Spengler Cup to watch.

It'll be close, but I'm going with Oilers 2-1 in OT.

So how many of you are going to be skipping Oilers hockey in favour of other hockey? Or in favour of something completely unrelated to hockey?

And how were your Christmases? Did everyone get as much socks and underwear as I did?

243fa199ff6efc362bf29a17e950b47e
Bingofuel is the handsome cyborg who pulls all the levers behind the curtains of the OilersNation. When he isn't running the site, he's plugged into a wall socket, recharging. Or Brownlee and Wanye are playing "keep away" with him. He gets little to no respect.
Avatar
#1 Giggsunited
December 26 2009, 11:32AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I thought peehole underwear was banned? I have 4 dozen packs to take back, thanks!

Avatar
#2 Robin Brownlee
December 26 2009, 11:46AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I've got your red sack right here, Bingofuel.

4-1 Canucks.

Avatar
#3 Sandra
December 26 2009, 11:55AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

This will be a real ugly loss. 9-1 canucks

Avatar
#4 Stone Hands reporting live from Athens
December 26 2009, 11:58AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Not even going to bother to stay up or get up and watch this one (5am start in Athens)...Only interesting story that comes out of this game is the rekindled spark of Luongo's bid for the #1 job in Feburary with a 12 save shut out in a 5-0 drubbing of the Oilers...Bryan put the mic down and step aside, theres a new Hall coming to town.

Avatar
#5 Lofty
December 26 2009, 11:59AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Robin Brownlee wrote:

I've got your red sack right here, Bingofuel.

4-1 Canucks.

6-2 Canucks. Sedin's will pad the stats with 4 points. Gagner and Brule score for the Oil.

Avatar
#6 Racki
December 26 2009, 12:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

8-3 'Nucks.

Avatar
#7 Dodd
December 26 2009, 12:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

As I hung my Team Canada Olympic jersey that I got for Christmas in my closet alongside my six Oiler jerseys, I heard that little voice saying "at least in February I will be cheering for a team with a chance of winning."

I shook it off, and went downstairs for some more Oilers Kool-aid. That's booze, kids. I'm talking about booze.

Avatar
#8 JackBauer
December 26 2009, 12:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

It will be a close game. JDD will redeem himself, but hes only one man. 2-1 Nucks.

Avatar
#9 Smokin' Ray
December 26 2009, 12:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

GAME DAY!!!

3-2 Oilers

With goals from Penner, Gilbert and Horcoff.

GOILERS!

Avatar
#10 Chris.
December 26 2009, 01:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

The Oilers will win tonight just to confuse us. Quinn will hate the way they do it... Lowe will be quietly proud of all the skill he assembled.

Avatar
#11 EricOG
December 26 2009, 01:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Taylor Hall, welcome to Edmonton!!!

Oh yeah baby, number 1 overall draft pick, here we come! However, if you take a closer look at how and when this team wins, tonight they are due.

JDD will get the shutout and thecaptainethanmoreau will score two goals and an asist, thus, completing his points quota for this year and next preseason (which I hope is somewhere other than Edmonton).

Avatar
#12 Oil Fan some other year
December 26 2009, 01:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I will be watching anything rather then the losers the Oilers have. I'm done with the Oilers this year. They don't care and even if they did they have no talent. A bunch of midgets on the ice it's a circus. Tambo promised a team to play against and then got forwards that stand three feet tall on skates.

Avatar
#13 Chris.
December 26 2009, 01:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Robin Brownlee

Can you beat an honest answer out of Laforge regarding potential seat licence fees for RX2?

I'm not a wealthy fan. It's a sacrifice for me to maintain seasons seats... almost my entire entertainment budget is eaten up by an organization that has consistantly failed to entertain. Realistically, it would be insane for me to hang on for three more sh!tastic seasons only to be unable to pay ransom for my seats in the new building anyway. What are you hearing? Anybody (other than DeepOil)?

Avatar
#14 Ender
December 26 2009, 01:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Chris. wrote:

The Oilers will win tonight just to confuse us. Quinn will hate the way they do it... Lowe will be quietly proud of all the skill he assembled.

Yeah, I think this pretty much covers it.

Just enough win in the Oil to lift our hopes for one more brief moment so that they can be dashed to the ground again in three consecutive losses to the Flamers and [I can't believe I'm saying it] the Leafs. That's the nice thing about these Oilers. Just when you think you have seen rock-bottom and genuinely don't give two squirts about them anymore, they find a way to get you to stand back up so they can kick you in the teeth one more time.

Avatar
#15 Oil Fan another year
December 26 2009, 01:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

entertain they had the same BS season opening ceromony. Stupid dancers. Welcome to the Katz era. Just like the Leafs we will suck forever now. If i was a draft pick I wouldn't want to play in Edmonton a organization stuck in the PAST. Lets face it I would put money down that the Oil draft another small forward or ten foot tender that gets beat high. LOL .

Does any one think Quinn will get fired ? They were sure the coachiong was the reason last season. Quinn has got Penner wo play well and the rest to suck even more.

THIS TEAM HAS NO HOPE

Avatar
#16 bigrroberto
December 26 2009, 01:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Oil Fan another year wrote:

entertain they had the same BS season opening ceromony. Stupid dancers. Welcome to the Katz era. Just like the Leafs we will suck forever now. If i was a draft pick I wouldn't want to play in Edmonton a organization stuck in the PAST. Lets face it I would put money down that the Oil draft another small forward or ten foot tender that gets beat high. LOL .

Does any one think Quinn will get fired ? They were sure the coachiong was the reason last season. Quinn has got Penner wo play well and the rest to suck even more.

THIS TEAM HAS NO HOPE

No Quinn won't get fired. With no changes to the roster (for the most part) since last year, its obvious that coaching isnt the issue. Actually I think Quinn has done quite well considering all the injuries and sickness he's had to deal with.

Its pretty much impossible to polish a turd.

Avatar
#17 Archaeologuy
December 26 2009, 02:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Future Oiler Eberle is playing in about 5 minutes. I will be watching him, hoping that he brings his teammate Hall with him to Camp next season.

Avatar
#18 HOFFFF
December 26 2009, 02:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Uglier than Brownlee's red sack.....6-2 Canucks.

Avatar
#19 Lofty
December 26 2009, 03:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Havnt seen any highlights yet but on a bright note Svensson had 4 points in the World Junior today?

Avatar
#20 JDB
December 26 2009, 03:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Lofty

BINGOFUEL,

I think you've had about two gallons too much egg-nog if you think the Oilers have a realistic chance of "demolishing" the Canucks tonight, or anyone else, for that matter, in the foreseeable future. Sure, this team (who could rightly be compared to a Video Lottery Terminal in its "never know what will come up next" randomized win-loss pattern) "could" win tonight, just like I could see three cherries come up in my next drunken gambling stupor at my neighbourhood watering hole. Anything is "possible". "Probable", however, is entirely and obviously different.

Look, loyal Nation followers, I hate to crack your hopes for the future, but the Oil is "done" for the rest of this season; likely next too. They would have to play near .750 hockey the rest of the way to maybe sneak into eighth; this team rarely played that winning percentage in the glory days of Wayne and Mark, let alone the current mess that this franchise is in now. In light of this already failed, no playoffs season, I'll tell you what the real key is for this team this week: make sure you damn well lose to the equally hapless Toronto Maple Leafs on Wednesday. The Oil and Leafs are equally terrible bottom feeders, and this really is a "MUST LOSE" game in this Dive for Five Stretch Run.

Bottom line, Brownlee is bang on: 6-2 Canucks, and likely a two or three goal spread after just one period. Horcoff will score a meaningless one with minutes left.

Avatar
#21 EricOG
December 26 2009, 04:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I was just looking at the standings and noticed something. The Oilers have the same amount of goals for that Chicago has. Yet, they are in first place and Edmonton is last....... Chicago has allowed only 74 goals while the Oil have allowed 123. Yikes!!!!

Avatar
#22 RossCreekNation
December 26 2009, 04:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Chris. wrote:

The Oilers will win tonight just to confuse us. Quinn will hate the way they do it... Lowe will be quietly proud of all the skill he assembled.

Ditto.

Avatar
#23 Wanye
December 26 2009, 04:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Merry Christmas OilersNation!

What's the over/under Gregor comes homes with Costa Rican cooties?

I'll take 'yes' for 100 clams

Avatar
#24 RossCreekNation
December 26 2009, 04:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Not sure if this is correct, but as per Sportsnet.ca:

Penner-Gagner-Nilsson

Stone-Horcoff-Brule

Moreau-Cogliano-Stortini

Jacques-Potulny-O'Sullivan

Also, sounds like Potulny missed his flight back from the Christmas break (as per Sportsnet's HockeyCentral) and missed the morning skate. He may have already made it to Van City by now, but they weren't sure for sure if he'd be there in time or not. Perhaps that is why they have him on the 4th line.

BROWNLEE?

Avatar
#25 Brandon
December 26 2009, 04:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

All I know is that Taylor Hall is gonna look damn good playing with Eberle and MPS next year

Avatar
#26 Ogden Brother
December 26 2009, 05:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

"I was just looking at the standings and noticed something. The Oilers have the same amount of goals for that Chicago has. Yet, they are in first place and Edmonton is last....... Chicago has allowed only 74 goals while the Oil have allowed 123. Yikes!!!!"

And yet the fan base is constantly banging their drum elite offensive talent. Give this team 3/4 competent 2 way players in the prime of their careers and it's back in the mix.

Avatar
#27 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
December 26 2009, 05:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
JDB wrote:

BINGOFUEL,

I think you've had about two gallons too much egg-nog if you think the Oilers have a realistic chance of "demolishing" the Canucks tonight, or anyone else, for that matter, in the foreseeable future. Sure, this team (who could rightly be compared to a Video Lottery Terminal in its "never know what will come up next" randomized win-loss pattern) "could" win tonight, just like I could see three cherries come up in my next drunken gambling stupor at my neighbourhood watering hole. Anything is "possible". "Probable", however, is entirely and obviously different.

Look, loyal Nation followers, I hate to crack your hopes for the future, but the Oil is "done" for the rest of this season; likely next too. They would have to play near .750 hockey the rest of the way to maybe sneak into eighth; this team rarely played that winning percentage in the glory days of Wayne and Mark, let alone the current mess that this franchise is in now. In light of this already failed, no playoffs season, I'll tell you what the real key is for this team this week: make sure you damn well lose to the equally hapless Toronto Maple Leafs on Wednesday. The Oil and Leafs are equally terrible bottom feeders, and this really is a "MUST LOSE" game in this Dive for Five Stretch Run.

Bottom line, Brownlee is bang on: 6-2 Canucks, and likely a two or three goal spread after just one period. Horcoff will score a meaningless one with minutes left.

~hey, captain obvious got a new common sense machine for christmas!~

Avatar
#28 Ogden Brother
December 26 2009, 05:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ RC

Ha-ha, poor O'sully, deeper into the doghouse. He's quickly turning into this years Penner.

Avatar
#29 RossCreekNation
December 26 2009, 05:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Brandon wrote:

All I know is that Taylor Hall is gonna look damn good playing with Eberle and MPS next year

Why is everyone so quick to assume MPS will be in the lineup next season? Along with Eberle and their "superstar" draft pick? I don't think anyone outside of hockey circles (read: fans) has a real clue as to whether or not MPS can play next year. I think its probably a safer bet to assume he's one more year away. That could change next September, but here Oil fan goes setting the bar awfully high again. Is there room for both Eberle & Svensson? Eberle & Cogliano? And the 'new' kid?

My thoughts... can they really afford to add yet another 'smurf' without subtracting one? Eberle is here next year, taking Cogliano's spot as he gets traded sometime this season or in the off-season. MPS plays next year in Sweden or Springfield (or Oklahoma or wherever the farm team is next year. Is it in Springfield for another year?)

Avatar
#30 RossCreekNation
December 26 2009, 06:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Enjoy the game tonight fella's. I have a feeling the kool-aid will be flowing in full muthafunkin effizzay. Oil win!

Avatar
#31 TigerUnderGlass
December 26 2009, 06:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I can definitely say I was happy to see a 4 point night for MPS.

Avatar
#32 Skidplate
December 26 2009, 07:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Wanye wrote:

Merry Christmas OilersNation!

What's the over/under Gregor comes homes with Costa Rican cooties?

I'll take 'yes' for 100 clams

I'll take yes for 100 crabs.

Avatar
#33 TaylorHall
December 26 2009, 07:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

^^^^^ i cant wait to be an oiler

Keep losing... why would i wanna be on the Carolina beaches.. Cmon now!

Avatar
#34 Dan the Man
December 26 2009, 07:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

The Oilers are inspired after watching the Canada-Latvia game and obliterate the Canucks 16-0...or possibly the other way around...

Avatar
#35 Shaun Doe
December 26 2009, 08:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Forget the over under on crabs, who wants to take the odds on Canuckle fans starting the Oilers suck chant off of the first sign of body contact?!

Avatar
#36 Brandon
December 26 2009, 08:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
RossCreekNation wrote:

Why is everyone so quick to assume MPS will be in the lineup next season? Along with Eberle and their "superstar" draft pick? I don't think anyone outside of hockey circles (read: fans) has a real clue as to whether or not MPS can play next year. I think its probably a safer bet to assume he's one more year away. That could change next September, but here Oil fan goes setting the bar awfully high again. Is there room for both Eberle & Svensson? Eberle & Cogliano? And the 'new' kid?

My thoughts... can they really afford to add yet another 'smurf' without subtracting one? Eberle is here next year, taking Cogliano's spot as he gets traded sometime this season or in the off-season. MPS plays next year in Sweden or Springfield (or Oklahoma or wherever the farm team is next year. Is it in Springfield for another year?)

tell me where I said this was going to happen with the Oilers? Please do tell me where I said "Hall is gonna look damn good in an Oilers jersey playing with Eberle and MPS"? cause I don't see it.

Avatar
#37 Wanye
December 26 2009, 08:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Let it be known I have convinced 4 Australians to watch this live on the net and I have found a bottle of rye. Merry Christmas, don't disappoint Oil!

Avatar
#38 Shaun Doe
December 26 2009, 08:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Wanye wrote:

Let it be known I have convinced 4 Australians to watch this live on the net and I have found a bottle of rye. Merry Christmas, don't disappoint Oil!

I think I've seen that movie. It didn't end well.

Avatar
#39 Shaun Doe
December 26 2009, 08:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Good work by the Oil in the final minutes of that period. I think they have mustered up enough hustle to sufficiently break our hearts in the third now. Nothing left but to sit back, relax and soil my self in shame and defeat.

Avatar
#40 Wanye
December 26 2009, 08:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

That didn't seem so bad, reasonable jump. Brule gets mad ice time now I see.

Avatar
#41 Shaun Doe
December 26 2009, 09:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Is it just you and I tonight Wanye? Has it come to this?

Avatar
#42 17
December 26 2009, 09:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Luongo is a wuss.

Avatar
#43 Shaun Doe
December 26 2009, 09:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Fun while it lasted. But seriously, the puck leaves the playing area in the opposite zone. How is that still a delay of game. Thats just plain bad luck.

Avatar
#44 Shaun Doe
December 26 2009, 09:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

That was a huge fight by Stortini. Rypien is a buzzsaw when he goes and Stortini handled him well.

Although I couldn't say who won.

Avatar
#45 Shaun Doe
December 26 2009, 09:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Well while I love the intensity... STAY out of the box guys. We have a horrible PK these days.

Avatar
#46 Wanye
December 26 2009, 09:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

It is us Shaun, but that's ok. That Potulny is a sho nuff playa

Avatar
#47 Shaun Doe
December 26 2009, 09:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Wanye

*C-c-c-combo breaker* Yeah I like this simple hockey game he brings in. Kinda like a young red-head with better hands.

Avatar
#48 Gunner - DFF
December 26 2009, 09:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Storts should learn how to throw a punch. What's with the forearm shivers?

Avatar
#49 Shaun Doe
December 26 2009, 09:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I think Storts was punching while blocking. Rypien swings like a mental patient having fits so its best to cover your face as often as possible.

Avatar
#50 Wanye
December 26 2009, 09:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I actually think this isn't going badly at all. Ill take bets the Oil pull it out. Anyone?

Comments are closed for this article.