Oilers vs. Red Wings Postgame: Sweet, Sweet Victory

Jonathan Willis
December 03 2009 09:27PM

Edmonton Oilers: 4

Detroit Red Wings: 1

Well, it was nice to see the Oilers win a game. Unfortunately for me, I was stuck out at my day job and forgot to set the PVR, so I only caught the game after it was already four to one, just watching the third period. I was also flat-out beat, so I'm afraid there aren't any three stars from me tonight, but I'd love to see some suggested in the comments.

Random Thoughts

If anyone deserved a flukey goal off of somebody's stick, it was Patrick O'Sullivan, who fires the puck from everywhere and hadn't been rewarded to date. The fact that he added a legitimate goal a little later on only made it better. His shooting percentage jumped from an NHL-worst 5.2% to 7.4% tonight; just one point below his career average.

Speaking of which, what on Earth was Jim Howard doing in net on O'Sullivan's goal?  Crazy stuff.  In fairness, he also had a few brilliant saves, so maybe he can only be beaten by bizarre goals he should have stopped.

Ryan Potulny seems to have been everything Andrew Cogliano needed to kickstart him, and the two had a few very good chances tonight.  They've drug Ethan Moreau along with them, and that trio is outplaying the wildest expectations I would have had for them.

Robert Nilsson's goal was just sick; total domination of an overwhelmed defenceman.  His NHL future is precarious, largely due to faults of his own, but it's always nice to see those flashes of talent that remind you why so many people have figured at one point or another that he was a player.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm at a considerable disadvantage in covering the game tonight - what did everybody else think?

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#101 Pajamah
December 04 2009, 07:15PM

2 more wins on this road trip, and its a monumental success!

#102 Harlie
December 04 2009, 09:09PM
Jamie B. wrote:

Someone told me last night the unemployment rate in Detroit was 28%.

uhh you mean you heard Stauffer say that on the radio yesterday

#103 David S
December 04 2009, 09:50PM
Harlie wrote:

uhh you mean you heard Stauffer say that on the radio yesterday

He's right. 29% actually.

hxxp://blogs.abcnews.com/theworldnewser/2009/08/unemployment-in-detroit-climbs-to-289.html

#104 RossCreekNation
December 04 2009, 09:56PM

Tiger Woods Crash Recreated For Asian TV...

#105 keith odland
December 04 2009, 10:26PM

good win. dam we won, draft pick? im mixed, with all our hurting and sick what does tambo do?

#106 Jamie B.
December 05 2009, 12:16AM
Harlie wrote:

uhh you mean you heard Stauffer say that on the radio yesterday

Nope, I'm in BC, I don't hear Stauffer very often unless I'm home and can listen online.

#107 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
December 05 2009, 08:08AM
HansBaurMesserschmittWatson wrote:

yeah i dont get those numbers either

the only detroit goal is cause strudwick and staios are slow n old

souray was aslked to sumbit the list of teams he would like to go to this trade deadline

that is why he atitude is weak and piss poor the last few games . he lost it he dont care no more

a fairly decent number of contracts containing NTC or NMC allow the team to receive a list from the player of teams they will or will not accept a trade to.

im not 100% sure on the particulars of sourays deal, but this might be a provision in the deal where souray provides the team a list every year. I am pretty sure sourays NMC expires after this season anyways.

Visnovsky after the 2012 season, for example, submits a list of 10 teams he will accept a trade to