Rock n' Roli

bingofuel
February 17 2009 11:03AM

rolirocks

In an otherwise completely boring game against the Phoenix Coyotes, Dwayne Roloson literally pulled out all (or at least most) of the stops last night. The first period was yawn-enducing, and you can see by the comments in the GDB thread that most of the Nationeers watching and writing agreed. But in the second and third periods, Roloson was a man on fire. A veritable rockstar. A not-39-year-old goalie past his prime. And consequently, the rest of our boys were fired up as well.

I have to agree with Chaz, though, who had this to say in the comments of GDB 56:

Note To Rollie: That move you do when you bat the puck out of the air is cool and all, but please limit its occurrence to once or twice a year. You played great last night, and have been very good lately, but put that move away already. Especially when you’re surrounded by 3 opposition players. I know you actually didn’t make the move last night, but you kept acting like you were going to, and quite frankly Rollie, it makes us all a little bit nervous here in Oil nation. We’d prefer it actually if you just concentrated on holding on to your stick (I bet that’s what she said) as opposed to trying to emulate Barry Bonds.

We couldn't agree with you more, Chaz old son.

Oh sure, it was only Phoenix we were playing against. Only the 14th place team in the Western Conference. But it was an important game for the boys in copper & blue. It put the Oil in sixth place, a decent position from which to battle the Sharks.

Things are looking up in the OilersNation. And as an added bonus, I get a perverse pleasure out of watching Gretzky scowl all game long. Schadenfraude, it's called.

243fa199ff6efc362bf29a17e950b47e
Bingofuel is the handsome cyborg who pulls all the levers behind the curtains of the OilersNation. When he isn't running the site, he's plugged into a wall socket, recharging. Or Brownlee and Wanye are playing "keep away" with him. He gets little to no respect.
#1 Chaz
February 17 2009, 11:18AM

It's true that it was only Phoenix, but aren't these "should win" games the ones the Oil have historically mailed in and not won in the past couple of years? Us Oil faithful need to focus in on the positives:

We got the win last night We are on a three game win streak If things don't work out for Rollie in hockey, we're pretty sure he has a future in Jai Alai Everyone in the league is pretty much afraid of Souray

Any news on who gets the start in net tonight?

#2 jeanshorts
February 17 2009, 11:19AM

I don't think I've ever seen dude smile behind the bench.

#3 Mike Krushelnyski
February 17 2009, 11:28AM

Chaz wrote:

Any news on who gets the start in net tonight?

I would bet upwards of 10 million dollars that it's Roli.

#4 Mike Krushelnyski
February 17 2009, 11:29AM

Actually, I think that everytime the Oilers have played back-to-back nights this year, the same goalie has started both games. I think Roli, Garon and JDD have all done it, can anyone confirm?

#5 RLH
February 17 2009, 11:37AM

@ jeanshorts: It's not like he has had a lot to smile about over the years.

#6 jeanshorts
February 17 2009, 11:39AM

@ RLH:

Fair enough. But he is always rocking the constant "I hate everything about my life at this very moment" face.

#7 Jason Gregor
February 17 2009, 11:47AM

Chaz wrote:

Any news on who gets the start in net tonight?

Bank on Roloson...He hasn't been taking morning skates lately, and is getting days of from practice. Plus he has owned the Sharks the last few times, and don't look now but the Sharks have lost three in a row. They might be pissed, but they might be fragile too. Even the good teams go through a funk now and then.

And you might see JF Jacques in the lineup on Thursday. He plays his last game tonight on his two-week conditioning stint and he has to be recalled or waived no later than Thursday so I'd expect him to meet the team in Dallas.

According to Rob Daum, who I had on the show yesterday, I will put up interview at around 2 today, Jacques has played quite well. He had five points in three games this past weekend, and has 6 points in the seven games he has played.

Just wondering if you guys who think coaching was the problem in Springfield noticed they are 0-4 since Truitt left. I think Daum will make them a bit better, but this team is bad. They were outshot 33-16, 42-28 and 40-20 over the weekend, and they can't score. Their goaltending is the only reason the games are even close right now.

#8 Jason Gregor
February 17 2009, 11:56AM

Mike Krushelnyski wrote:

Not close to every time. The Oilers have played back to back 10 times so far. Garon never went in both games. Deslauriers did in NYR and NJ, and won both. Roloson has done it twice. Lost first in Det then won next night in CBJ, and won both in Car and Phi.

#9 Jason Gregor
February 17 2009, 11:58AM

So he is actually 2-0 in the second game of back-to-back so bet on him going tonight. Plus Deslauriers has played Dallas once this year, and although he lost he might get a start, but if Roloson wins tonight you can bet on him starting in Dallas for sure.

#10 Bob Cob
February 17 2009, 12:05PM

"Schadenfraude"- Sounds like something you toast at a bar before you and your friends do a jager bomb after "last call" has been anounced, talk about ending the night the proper way. Good times!!!

Lets Go OILER'S!!!!!!!

#11 jeanshorts
February 17 2009, 12:07PM

How come the Dallas came is MIA on this sites schedule? HMMMM? I know they have the Oilers number, but you can't just make them go away like that.

#12 bingofuel
February 17 2009, 12:18PM

@ jeanshorts: Good question, JS. I have punched our designer in the back of the head to ensure it gets corrected. He will fix it when he regains consciousness.

#13 Jonathan Willis
February 17 2009, 12:23PM

Jason Gregor wrote:

Just wondering if you guys who think coaching was the problem in Springfield noticed they are 0-4 since Truitt left. I think Daum will make them a bit better, but this team is bad. They were outshot 33-16, 42-28 and 40-20 over the weekend, and they can’t score. Their goaltending is the only reason the games are even close right now.

Yeah, I've noticed. It had to be tried, but presumably Daum went in with a plan, and the fact that the team hasn't really reacted yet is very bad news.

On the other hand, 4 games is still a relatively small sample; maybe things will turn around yet.

#14 BUCK75 - FMNF
February 17 2009, 12:27PM

@ Jason Gregor:

So with us in the play-off hunt & knowing form past experience that MacT will continue to ride Roli - when do you think that JDD will play? Seems like an odd way to develop a goaltender by having him wear a baseball cap on the end of the bench.

Don't get me wrong - we had to get rid of Garon, but the idea of 'developing a goaltender' in the middle of a play-off race seems like it has been forgotten & was a ridiculous idea to begin with. I noticed you posed the question in your QTNA article yesterday. I think they bring the old guy back next year. Let JDD play next season with Roli backing him up.

#15 ryanbatty
February 17 2009, 12:35PM

BUCK75 - FMNF wrote:

@ Jason Gregor: So with us in the play-off hunt & knowing form past experience that MacT will continue to ride Roli - when do you think that JDD will play?

JDD might get a few starts in October 2009, not to many before then though.

#16 shakey
February 17 2009, 12:45PM

@ Jason Gregor: 'And you might see JF Jacques in the lineup on Thursday.' Jason, what do you see the Oilers doing in the long run with JFJ? He has had a couple chances and never seems to take hold and make an impression...at least one that keeps him in the line-up here. He gets the points when he goes down but doesn't show that up here. Does he have to clear waivers before he goes down from now on?

#17 rindog
February 17 2009, 12:59PM

@ BUCK75 - FMNF: BUCK75 - FMNF wrote:

Don’t get me wrong - we had to get rid of Garon

Maybe you can help me? Can you please explain why we had to get rid of Garon?

Was it so JDD could get more "practice" time at the NHL level?

JDD hasn't had one start since Garon was traded.

I am sure some people will say that the games are too important to try out a rookie goalie 9not disagreeing at all). Did management not anticipate being part of a playoff race when they got rid of a cheap, effective, experienced goalie?

Seeing as how Roli is getting some practices off I would think that we could have rotated goalies (sit one out)for practices so there would be enough "crease" time - if that was an issue.

Maybe it was so we could keep Reddox on the NHL roster?

I just really would like to know the thought process of management on this one??

#18 Ducey
February 17 2009, 01:13PM

"Just wondering if you guys who think coaching was the problem in Springfield"

I think the bigger problem is that the team has relied upon younger "prospects" for the most part whereas many of the best teams have many more AAAA players - 26 + yr olds who are too good for AAA but not good enough for the bigs.

However, they did the same thing last year and were somewhat better than this year. Some of that must be on Truitt. If you can't beat Bucky's record as coach - you suck. Add in that many of the prospects were struggling and, yeah, he should have been fired.

No reason for anyone to sulk now though, Daum has a direct link to (and in some ways is) senior managment. You hear me Robbie?

#19 Jason Gregor
February 17 2009, 01:15PM

BUCK75 - FMNF wrote:

Right now they don't have much choice, other than to ride Roloson. The key for Deslauriers is when he finally gets a start, he better play well. I don't think he has to be out-of-this-world good, but decent and then he'll get another game or two. Right now the best chance for Deslauriers will come next season probably, barring an injury to Roloson.

shakey wrote:

Jason, what do you see the Oilers doing in the long run with JFJ? He has had a couple chances and never seems to take hold and make an impression…at least one that keeps him in the line-up here. He gets the points when he goes down but doesn’t show that up here. Does he have to clear waivers before he goes down from now on?

Good question. Could the Oilers use a guy with his size, strength and skating on the 4th line. Damn rights. He has to realize his job up here won't be to score more than maybe five goals a year.

As for waivers he has seven games left in NHL before he has to clear waivers, so they can just leave him down there. Just got confirmation that they don't HAVE to recall him, but are considering it based on how he has played. His size, strength and speed for a big guy make him an intriguing player.

#20 Jason Gregor
February 17 2009, 01:23PM

@ shakey: Ok scrap my last answer regarding waivers. I just spoke with Kevin Lowe and like I first said, YES Jacques does have to clear waivers after they recall him. He is on a conditioning stint, so he can come back here no problem. But if they were to send him back down, or essentially leave him in the minors, he would have to clear waivers then.

#21 Travis Dakin
February 17 2009, 01:29PM

@ Jason Gregor: So... he will be coming back then I presume.... I'm thinking maybe, goodbye Reddox?

#22 Travis Dakin
February 17 2009, 01:34PM

And when is Nando coming back?

#23 rindog
February 17 2009, 01:57PM

@ Jason Gregor:

First of all - please don't consider this as criticizing or complaining about the Oilers.

I simply would like more clarification as to why YOU think they got rid of Garon and if it was a good idea (in your opinion)?

Jason Gregor wrote:

Right now they don’t have much choice, other than to ride Roloson. The key for Deslauriers is when he finally gets a start, he better play well. I don’t think he has to be out-of-this-world good, but decent and then he’ll get another game or two. Right now the best chance for Deslauriers will come next season probably, barring an injury to Roloson.

At the time they traded Garon, Deslaurier had 5 career starts. As far as I can tell - management knew that they would be in the middle of a playoff push and couldn't have reasonably expected to "try out" JDD during this stretch. If JDD was not going to get a serious chance until next year - why trade Garon?

Would it be fair to say that the management made a mistake in getting rid of Garon (at the time)? Or do you think the return they got was worth the risk (riding Roli and hoping he didn't get injured)?

I would think that the Oilers of all teams, would understand the importance of having a proven back-up that they can trust (especially when your starter is almost 40 years old)?

#24 BUCK75 - FMNF
February 17 2009, 02:05PM

@ rindog:

Hey man I am as confused as you on this one. To have a young goaltender on the bench to do nothing doesn't make any sense. Although having a guy on the bench (Garon) who the coaching staff doesn't think can stop a beachball doesn't make much sense either. He had an easier salary to trade as well. I knew he wouldn't play many games, but he is probably better than Danny Sabourin.

Garon has played 1 game in PIT - 5 GAA. They can keep him & we can stop arguing how he is the greatest thing since Bill Ranford.

#25 Jonathan Willis
February 17 2009, 02:43PM

Travis Dakin wrote:

@ Jason Gregor: So… he will be coming back then I presume…. I’m thinking maybe, goodbye Reddox?

Not necessarily - Jacques is using a roster spot on his conditioning stint, so he can be recalled without anyone else getting sent down.

#26 Travis Dakin
February 17 2009, 02:50PM

@ Jonathan Willis: But with Fernando coming back aswell.... who am I forgetting? I guess with Grebs and Vis out they have room.

#27 Harlie Chuddy
February 17 2009, 02:54PM

lovin the Rolli with an axe pic. Reminds me of those Diet Pepsi commercials where the guy takes a sip of Pepsi and is transported back to the 80's. Which in Rolli's case might not be such a bad thing.

#28 bingofuel
February 17 2009, 03:39PM

@ Harlie Chuddy: Hey thanks man! That photo took me the better part of five minutes to create. And despite the minimal effort I was pretty proud of it!

#29 Jason Gregor
February 17 2009, 03:41PM

Travis Dakin wrote:

They only have 6 D-men on the roster right now and two goalies, so they can have 15 forwards if they choose, which is what will happen when Pisani returns. I would guess it would be Reddox, or unless they make a minor move and ship out Pouliot when Pisani returns...Either way, Jacques' body type and skill set is a better fit for the 4th line. It would be nice if he had Reddox's work ethic.

Pisani was back in Edmonton today to get another X-ray, and if it was good he was going to go to Dallas and play, but they his tibia hasn't healed enough so he won't be going. Look for maybe next Tuesday v. Tampa Bay.

#30 Dennis
February 17 2009, 03:46PM

Oilers are going with a 14-6-2 F-D-G aligment right now - as JW said, JFJ's stil taking a roster spot - so they can theoretically bring back JFJ and not have to farm anyone. And maybe that's what they'll do and they won't send out a forward until or if a D gets hurt.

No one knows what it is but there's something that keeps JFJ's numbers and even physicality and anything resembling effectiveness from translating from the A to the bigs.

It could be something as simple as him not wanting to work hard and grind like a 46 or perhaps the guy's a bit of a headcase and he gets a major case of the yips.

I'd love to see it work out because the guy's huge and is ultra fast for his size but though I'm one of the few fellows who still believe in him, even I'm losing patience.

I'm not sure how long the Oilers are planning on running with just 6 D on the roster but I guess they could go with a 15-6-2 work-up once 34 returns.

It's not probable but it's possible.

#31 Dennis
February 17 2009, 03:49PM

I swear I didn't see Gregor's 15 F and 6 D idea until After I posted mine;)

he seems to be running in place more than ever lately so it wouldn't surprise me if he's sent away.

#32 Jason Gregor
February 17 2009, 05:55PM

Dennis wrote:

BTW, Gregor, is that just speculation on you behalf when it comes to 78 being moved or do you have a source? he seems to be running in place more than ever lately so it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s sent away.

When Pisani returns he will take that spot on the 3rd line, and since Pouliot doesn't bring an energy element to his game, putting him on the 4th line makes no sense.

I get the sense from some people in the organize that they are frustrated with Pouliot's inability to show marked improvement in his game. Based on conversations I've had he is a player that they would move if there was some interest. The problem is how much interest would their be in Pouliot? If a team is willing to give up a young energy type player who hasn't proven himself at the NHL, the Oilers would be willing to part with Pouliot.

When you look at the roster, based on skill, style of play I think there is room for either Pouliot or Pisani. Neither has proven to be a top-six, both are safe, responsibly checkers, but neither fits the energy 4th line type. Difference is Pisani is harder to knock off the puck and is much more proven, and an Edmonton guy, which doesn't hurt.

Pouliot could become a 15-17 goal guy, but I don't see it happening here, and from conversations I've had with some Oiler brass he is someone they would be willing to part with. But is value isn't much, so unless he is part of a surprise big deal, he would be part of a deal involving two players who might need a change of address to kick-start their career.

#33 Travis Dakin - FMNF
February 17 2009, 07:42PM

Jason Gregor wrote:

Either way, Jacques’ body type and skill set is a better fit for the 4th line. It would be nice if he had Reddox’s work ethic.

I honestly can't rally recall him much in games... I know he scores points like gangbusters in the A but what is the deal up top? Just no drive? Another Penner minus the talent? what's the deal with him?

#34 Dennis
February 17 2009, 08:10PM

Gregor: I believe 78 would be an outscorer playing on the 4th line and outscoring would be reason enough to keep him.

Also, him and 34 have shown some real chem in the past but I doubt that will happen this season given the Oilers are willing to let 13 lose draw after draw.