Questions That Need Answers: Second Edition

Jason Gregor
February 23 2009 02:59PM

beautiful-wanye

Based on the amount of questions I got last week, QTNA will now involve questions from the readers as well as my own. If you have any send them to jason@justagame.ca.

The Boston Bruins had ten 20-goal scorers one season, and right now the Oilers don’t have one. Are the Oilers the least talented offensive team in the league?

When you scan rosters around the league, the Oilers’ proven scoring is near the bottom. Right now only Minnesota, the Rangers and the Islanders don’t have a 20-goal man. The Wild’s best player, Marian Gaborik, has been out all year, the Islanders are horrendous and the Rangers have overpriced UFAs taking up lots of ice time.

But after looking down the line-ups of other teams, outside of the Islanders and the Wild, it is fair to say the Oiler forwards have to be considered one of the least offensively productive groups in the league. The Predators have scored 23 fewer goals as a team, so they are in the mix as well, but Arnott and Dumont have produced more goals than any Oiler forward.

The Wild have scored fewer goals as a team, but they don’t get anything from their backend. Their top six scorers are all forwards. At some point, the Oiler forwards have to start to score, otherwise they will only be “paper-prospects.”

When was the last time a non-playoff team had the top two regular season scorers? (Malkin and Crosby) -- Sheldon

Originally people said this never happened, but after some research, in fact it has happened once before.

In 1949:

• Roy Conacher 1st: 68 pts in 60 games Doug Bentley 2nd: 66 pts in 58 games

Both played for Chicago which finished fifth out of six teams... So they’re the only two that have ever done it, but no tandem has done it since expansion in 1967.

The closest was 1969:

Bobby Hull 2nd and Stan Makita 4th both from Chicago who finished last in 1969.

In 1994 Gretzky finished first in scoring but the Kings missed the playoffs. His teammate Luc Robitaille finished 14th with 96 points.

In 2002 Jarome Iginla led the league in scoring, but the Flames finished 11th in the West. Fellow Flamer Craig Conroy finished 12th that year.

Is Europe or the Leafs the bigger coach killer?

Tom Renney became the second coach to get fired after a loss to the Maple Leafs this season, when he and his assistant Perry Pearn were given pink slips this morning. Michel Therrien got the boot from Pittsburgh after losing to the Leafs.

Losing to the Leafs must be the final measuring stick for Eastern teams.

And all four of the coaches whose teams started this campaign in Europe have now been fired. Renney, Therrien, Craig Hartsburg and Barry Melrose have all been canned after playing two games in Europe. Sorry Oilers fans, the Oil aren’t scheduled to start the season overseas next year.

Who do you think has been the Oilers best draft pick in the last 10 years excluding Hemsky? -- Ken

Great question, and there is no name the jumps out right away. Horcoff was drafted in 1998 so that is outside of the last 10 years.

Within the last 10, I would say Mike Comrie. Whether you like him or not, for a third-round pick he’s been a pretty decent scorer. He’s the only draft pick to have two 30-goal seasons.

The next best would be Jarret Stoll, second round 2002, and Andrew Cogliano who will average 18 goals a year in his first two years. It’s clear they haven’t drafted any top-end talent outside of Hemsky in the last 10 years, or at least any talent that has panned out.

When will Pisani return, and when he does where do you see him playing? -- Alan

Spoke with Pisani this morning and he is scheduled for another MRI on Friday. If the middle of the bone has healed enough he should get clearance for the game on March 3rd against Nashville.

He will slot in with Moreau and Cogliano. Even though Stortini has been one of the hottest Oilers of late, Pisani will slot back into his usual third line RW position. There has been lots of speculation that when he returns the Oilers might move Pouliot. I still doubt MAP could net much in return, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets moved.

What is the Oilers biggest weakness that realistically Tambellini/Lowe can fill before the deadline? -- Chris from Clareview

First off Chris, congrats on admitting you are from the northside. It takes courage.

Denis Grebeshkov has resumed skating and it looks like he might return within a week, so that should allow Tambellini to focus on what they really need: scoring.

Getting a left winger for Hemsky is the most pressing need, but also the hardest. Right now I think they will settle for a productive and consistent second liner. The current “second line” has two players with less than ten goals, Nilsson (7) and Gagner (6). They need secondary scoring just as much as they do a top line LW. And it will be easier to acquire a guy with 17-20 goals than it will getting a proven 30-goal man.

Do guys go to Oscar parties like women attend Super Bowl parties?

Super Bowl and Grey Cup parties have been a staple for many years, and non-sports fans have continually attend them. Lately Oscar parties have become more popular, but I’ve never gone to one and I can’t see why I would in the future.

I watch movies regularly, but I could care less who wins Best Actor or Actress. Did you notice that all the best Actress nominees came from “chick flick” type of films? The only reason most guys watch is to see the women’s attire. Outside of best picture, director, actor, actress and the supporting actor or actress, does anyone really care about best costume design?

You will never catch me attending an Oscar party.

Why do guys change their facebook relationship status from single to “it’s complicated” and vice versa?

I know this has nothing to do with sports, but it’s my biggest pet peeve. Girls do this because their friends will comment with remarks like “keep your head up,” or “It’s his loss.” I can understand that they are looking for comfort. But guys? Do you actually think your buddy is going to write anything consoling or that we are even interested?

My buddy actually announced his engagement was off via his relationship status last week. He went from engaged to single, and of course ten different girls chimed in with some comment designed to cheer him up. No guys replied, and why would we?

First off, if my fiancé dumped me or me her, I don’t think I’d be posting it on Facebook a day after it happened. Seriously guys, I think I speak for other guys when I say stop posting that garbage. Sure, if she left you for another guy we feel your pain, and will promise to get you bombed the next day. Hell, we will sacrifice a head-pounding, barf-at-lunch hangover on Tuesday if that’s what it takes to help you out.

But expecting some sort of pat-on-the-back comment on Facebook is out of the question. FIGURE IT OUT.

Have you actually met Wanye Gretz and do you know if he is single? I think he is so funny and I bet he is hot. -- Allison

For the record I didn’t make up this question. I replied to Allison and she confirmed it was for real. I included this query for a few reasons. It shows the major difference between guys and girls. She admits she hasn’t seen Wanye and based his hotness on his ramblings, so she is going on wit and personality. Guys, we are shallow. We go for looks first, second and third.

I have met Wanye a few times, and plead the fifth regarding his looks. I can admit that Brad Pitt is hot, it’s not hard to see that, but in most cases I think guys have no clue if another guy is hot. Wanye is currently looking, but for what exactly I’m not sure.

But Allison there is one rule. I would never set up a buddy without seeing a picture of the girl that wants to meet him, and most guys won’t consider it without seeing the potential prospect. So if you or any other ladies are interested in Wanye include a picture in your email. I will gladly pass those to Sir WG.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 Rick
February 23 2009, 03:10PM

Good news regarding Grebeshkov but is this going to be a repeat of Souray's shoulder being better last November only to be at 50% until they pulled him for good or Moreau's bruised, then broken, then fixed, then broken again ankle?

Or is the optimism truly on the level here?

#2 OvenChicken8
February 23 2009, 03:18PM

If the Oilers could get a legit 30-40 goal scorer and they were asking for Gagner +... would you do it?

#3 Wanye Gretz
February 23 2009, 03:20PM

"Have you actually met Wanye Gretz and do you know if he is single? I think he is so funny and I bet he is hot. – Allison"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH- *deep breath* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

#4 Chris
February 23 2009, 03:28PM

Careful Gregor. Your bold addmission that the Oilers under Predergast can't seem to draft high end talent will earn you a tongue lashing from Johnathan Willis, who seems convinced that drafting the highest volume of tweeners in the true measure of successful drafting. Niinimaki? Schremp? Pouliot? Terrible! I have hope for Eberle, however... the Oilers seem short on smallish right shooting centermen.

#5 smytty777
February 23 2009, 03:32PM

If Grebs can be back soon that would be massive for the Oilers playoff chances. The lack of puck movement from the back end has been fairly obvious the last couple of games.

Pisani would also be a nice stabilizing presence on the third line. He always seems to do the little things right.

#6 The Towel Boy
February 23 2009, 03:34PM

Wanye! You said I was your huckleberry.

*runs of to facebook to change relationship status to "it's complicated"*

#7 Hat Pughes
February 23 2009, 03:40PM

What is the Oilers biggest weakness that realistically Tambellini/Lowe can fill before the deadline? – Chris from Clareview

I was going to say a cardiac surgeon cause there isnt much heart in the lineup -- but the question was realistically.

How about a psychologist then....this is a team of underachievers who need to be reminded that "your good enough, your smart enough and Oiler fans like you" with the hope that they can play to about 85% of their potential.

#8 99thOilfan
February 23 2009, 03:40PM

Wayne, I thought we were like peas and carrots !

*digs into choc box to sample another

#9 sittingatmydesk
February 23 2009, 03:44PM

who in the right mind would pick up MAP, and what could we get in return...a 6th round pick.... at best..

#10 Wanye Gretz
February 23 2009, 03:55PM

@ The Towel Boy: @ 99thOilfan:

"Boys, boys. You can both marry me!" - Grandpa Simpson in a dream sequence

#11 nutsandgum
February 23 2009, 04:08PM

TSN is reporting that Tortorella is the next coach of the NYR, once TBL releases him...

Another coach bites the dust, and we still have MacT. WTF?

FMNF

#12 Jon
February 23 2009, 04:11PM

"It’s clear they haven’t drafted any top-end talent outside of Hemsky in the last 10 years, or at least any talent that has panned out."

Hey there - some of us still have hope left for Sam Gagner!

#13 Wanye Gretz
February 23 2009, 04:12PM

Jon wrote:

“It’s clear they haven’t drafted any top-end talent outside of Hemsky in the last 10 years, or at least any talent that has panned out.” Hey there - some of us still have hope left for Sam Gagner!

And that there Jon is a big fat TOUCHE.

Gregor 0 Jon 1

#18 Mike Krushelnyski
February 23 2009, 04:24PM

@ Gregor:

A QTNA!

#19 Cam
February 23 2009, 04:27PM

I feel confident that the late season push this year will mean something. I am excited... I am alive... it is good to be an Oilers fan.

#20 shakey
February 23 2009, 04:38PM

@ Mike Krushelnyski: I know you're asking Gregor this but come on... Trading Roli would do what for the Oilers? Who do you think we're going to get back for the guy that is the main reason we're still in the hunt for the playoffs? And do you think this guy/guys are going to score 6 plus goals a game because we'll need that many if JDD isn't ready to be the number 1. (which I don't think he is) Trading Roli the first 2-3 months of the season was possible. Trading him now says it was it was all a waste of effort because we're throwing in the towel...only a few points out of 8th place with 20 some to go.

#21 99thOilfan
February 23 2009, 05:00PM

Wanye Gretz wrote:

@ The Towel Boy: @ 99thOilfan: “Boys, boys. You can both marry me!” - Grandpa Simpson in a dream sequence

Er.. You know... Well.. now I feel kind of dirty.. ( I will no longer wondering about your "status" )

Towel Boy ! Hey! I heading for the Shower ! ( That did not come out right either, right? )

#22 The Towel Boy
February 23 2009, 05:05PM

99thOilfan wrote:

I have the towels!

#23 Dennis
February 23 2009, 05:12PM

Really not sure what the point is in dealing off 78. It's not like he'll help us get back a guy that can replace anything that was being given to us by 37 and 71 and he'd most likely do a great job on the 4th line with 51-46.

Plus, he's affordable again next season and who knows what he could do if he didn't have to play with 18; he's always played well with 34 for instance.

The Oilers both in the present and future need to find a guy who'll mesh with 89 and provide secondary scoring and they also need to get rid of at least 18 and possibly 24 as well.

#24 Ender the Dragon
February 23 2009, 05:20PM

If I may use a golf analogy here (ignore possible irony) the Oil are not going to lay up on this shot. They're looking at the playoffs like a golfer looks at a shot right through the fork of a big tree. While many golfers would be play it safe and take the extra stroke (sell and rebuild), something in me says the Oil management wants or needs the playoffs this year; they're taking the shot, Tin Cup or no. Watch and see, but if we're still in striking distance at the trade deadline (and we'd have to collapse horribly to be more than 4 points back at that point) we'll be buyers again this year. I hope like hell their aim is true, 'cuz it's going to look some ugly next year if they miss.

#25 mjsh
February 23 2009, 05:38PM

Listening to Gregor & Richaud (bad spell?) on the way home. Intriguing thought. What about Briere for some low salary guys, a draft pick or some one on the IR to bail Philly out of there cap issues. Is briere a guy we could use long term with Hemsky?

#26 Jason Gregor
February 23 2009, 05:42PM

Jon wrote:

Wanye Gretz wrote:

And that there Jon is a big fat TOUCHE. Gregor 0 Jon 1

So six goals makes him a top end talent? He hasn't panned out yet, that doesn't mean he won't but he hasn't yet and he has a long way to go to be considered top-end talent.

THe point is do they have PROVEN top-end talent, not paper talent, and the stats show that to date, none other than Hemsky have become close to top-end players.

#27 Dennis
February 23 2009, 05:44PM

Oilers have been big-game hunting for awhile so I won't discount any rumors about high paying guys coming to Edm.

I think the Flyers would be about 2 mill over if they brought him back so that gives you a hint of what they could take back. Personally, I'd love to "grit" them up with 18 and 24!!

Though, moving 24 isn't the great idea that it was when 71 was healthy.

it would make a lot of sense for next year, though. Although I'm not sure the same can be said for Briere.

#28 mjsh
February 23 2009, 06:01PM

Dennis wrote:

Oilers have been big-game hunting for awhile so I won’t discount any rumors about high paying guys coming to Edm. I think the Flyers would be about 2 mill over if they brought him back so that gives you a hint of what they could take back. Personally, I’d love to “grit” them up with 18 and 24!! Though, moving 24 isn’t the great idea that it was when 71 was healthy. it would make a lot of sense for next year, though. Although I’m not sure the same can be said for Briere.

This is not a rumor, just some addition that I did on my way home. It is a fact that Philly has to do something. So I am asking the question, would Briere be a fit in Edmonton? Perhaps it would help Philly to take Visnovsky and keep him on the IR so he does not count against the cap but they get something decent in return for next year. Then the Oil can sign Grebs and keep him with Souray and Gilbert.

#29 Smokin' Ray
February 23 2009, 06:06PM

@ Gregor;

Have the Oilers even tried to re-sign Cole? Does Cole even want to sign with Edmonton? Would he take less than the $4 million he makes now? Would the Oilers even reatin him for $2 million a year? Does he just really want to go somewhere else? Any news at all with what is going to happen to him?

#30 Robin B
February 23 2009, 06:10PM

@ Smokin' Ray: Several teams are interested in Cole, with Carolina and Boston at the front of the line-up.

#31 APE - FMNF
February 23 2009, 06:46PM

@ Dennis: Can't you just type their names? Honestly...

#32 B.C.B.
February 23 2009, 07:18PM

Dennis: I can't see them moving Staios. Just because we are lacking playoff experience on the blue line.

Gilbert= o playoff games Grebs = 0 Smid = 0 Strudwick = 7 games in three post seasons Peckham = hahahaha Souray = 34 five post seasons Staios = 33, three post season, one run

They need the veteran experience, to keep the troops calm, this postseason

#33 Bruno
February 23 2009, 07:18PM

mjsh wrote:

So you want another water bug?? I dont.. And as for Lumbo... Does he not have a no trade clause?? Why would you want to trade one of your top D man to make room for "Greb's"???? Lumbo is twice the cost but also twice the D - Man ...

#34 jeanshorts
February 23 2009, 07:36PM

Hey ladies, I'm single!!!!

*cries into his partial defrosted Hungry Man dinner*

#35 Smokin' Ray
February 23 2009, 08:03PM

Robin B wrote:

@ Smokin’ Ray: Several teams are interested in Cole, with Carolina and Boston at the front of the line-up.

So who wants out? Cole or Oilers? And why?

#36 oilersseasonticketholdersince99
February 23 2009, 08:11PM

The biggest weakness is behind the bench.This should have been fixed back in November,Here we go again watching the Oilers struggle to make the play offs.I am tired of Mac T's coaching and K lowe should also take blame for the signings and poor trades that we have done it is cause of these two clowns this once great team is in the position it is in year after year.

#37 oilgirl
February 23 2009, 08:31PM

jeanshorts....i'd do ya, you're almost as funny as WG

#38 Dennis
February 23 2009, 08:51PM

MJSH: I know the Flyers need to move him or some salary, I was just commenting on the possibility of him coming to edm and the fact that the brass have been bandying about big names since last summer. In terms of fit, the Oilers need someone to run with 89 the way that 10 and 27 do with 83.

Could that be Briere?

The big issue is that the ~6.6 cap hit means that A: he's gonna have to excel in the top six min role and/or he's gonna have to make the PP hum or B: if he can't, then we gotta find some types who can play against people while making shagall money. The first examples that could to mind would be the old Pahlsson line when the Ducks were great. There's always a trickle-down and if Briere's eating up that much money, he's gotta be able to handle the toughs or we'll have to find someone else who can.

BTW, Speeds wrote about this over at IOF a few weeks ago so maybe this could be out there.

BCB: Yeah, the idea of moving 24 seems less palatable with 71 down for that year; or least in the terms of if you're looking to and/or you're selling the moves as looking to make the playoffs.

#39 Robin B
February 23 2009, 08:54PM

@ Smokin' Ray:

The Oilers won't try to compete with the UFA offers Cole will get this summer, so it only makes sense that they try to get something for him before losing him for nothing.

#40 Jason Gregor
February 23 2009, 08:56PM

Mike Krushelnyski wrote:

With Miller going down, I have to believe that Roli is very attractive option for Buffalo. Given the fact that the Oilers seem to be totally unable to beat any playoff-bound teams and the playoff hopes seem to be waning: a) Would you move Roli to Buffalo if the price was right? b) Is there any possibility Tambellini would move him?

He might be, but it depends on what the return is. The Oilers have two options heading into the summer. Sign a high-end goalie or a top-end forward. If they go with the forward, then Roloson and JDD could be their best option, because combined they won't cost more than 3 million a year.

Trading Roloson now means, that either Deslauriers become the guy or they sign a goalie. I think Roloson/JDD combo is a safer bet, than Deslauriers/???.

#41 Dennis
February 23 2009, 08:59PM

If the Oilers believed in JDD, perhaps he'd get to play this year;) Then again, they did move garon so they could keep the guy.

Only then to ignore him, of course.

I don't know what they have in store for the netminding dept in 2010 but it should be interesting.

#42 rindog
February 23 2009, 09:04PM

@ Robin B:

I am not a big "what if" guy, and this really doesn't help us in terms of getting something before he hits UFA, but what do you think about getting Antropov for the run (at the expense of Cole)?

It would probably take a 3-way deal(history with Burke)?

I am wondering if Slats would be able to help us out?

Maybe Slats sends his first rounder to the Leafs for Antropov and then we send Cole (and maybe Schremp or Pouliot if we have to) to the Rangers?

I know there are many conflicting reports about what type of player Antropov is, but I think he instantly helps our PP (a way better option than Horcoff on the left half boards). I also think the intensity of a playoff race (coupled with his impending UFA status) might bring out some very good hockey from Antropov.

I guess I am really asking you if YOU think Antropov would be a good short term pick-up and what do you think it would take to get him?

#43 chicksdigoil
February 23 2009, 09:06PM

My question is for Mrs. Cogliano. How was the game? Did you meet Gregor when you got the tickets and how was he? In all seriousness if you guys are offering up dates, me and my lady friends have seen Gregor's pic and they look good, sweet actually, but in person is different. Wanye is Gregor single? Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but if you can let me know that would be great. I will send pics if needed.

P.S..FMNF...and please I will say that I'm not a diehard who wears a jersey every game, but this site had made me more of a fan in the past few months. You guys are great, and thankfully you haven't mocked the few women on here...Thanks...

#44 RyanD
February 23 2009, 09:09PM

Hey Gregor, I was just stepping out of the house when you talked about Horcoff this afternoon, so I apologize if you covered this in your show. What did you make of his comment about the ice when you asked about the one-timers? Personally I'm not so sure the ice is causing all the issues out there. Seemed like an odd answer given how Shawn usually answers during interviews.

Good call on the reason guys watch the Oscars. I put myself through three hours of that just to see what the girls were wearing - well, that and the related fact that I needed to see the lovely Kate Winslet, whom I developed a crush after seeing Titanic on the big screen.

#45 Robin B
February 23 2009, 09:22PM

@ rindog: Antropov does nothing for me as an upgrade over Cole and you won't see a trade between the Oilers and any team that employs Brian Burke.

#46 Sing A Song For SingSing
February 23 2009, 09:39PM

Antropov is a Goddamned bum.

#47 Chris
February 23 2009, 09:54PM

APE - FMNF wrote:

What about Cogliano?

Are you kidding? 29 ponts in 59 games. (Tied for 178th in the league)

This is NOT top end talent. Cogliano is a small, soft, player with hands of stone... If he was a top end player... wouldn't he be playing with Hemsky?

There is an even bigger problem in Oil Country: Nilsson and Gagner. Everyone has been so busy ripping on Horcoff that they have failed to notice that Horc has more points than Gagner and Nilsson combined. When 2/3rds of your second line is on pace for a ten goal season you know your franchise is going nowhere. Fancy stick tricks after practice don't qualify as high skill, or talent, if you can't do sh!t during a game! Hemsky, the D, and an aging goalie will only carry this team so far.

#48 rindog
February 23 2009, 09:59PM

@ Robin B:

Fair enough - I just can't think of any other immediate help available out there.

I like the fact that Antropov has scored 64 goals in his last 3 seasons (only 186 games) which works out to a 28 goal/82 game average.

Let me simplify my thought process (not that hard to do)? I have resigned myself to the notion that the PP will be what decides if we make the playoffs or not. I don't see the coach going anywhere, so I am hoping we can get some PP help soon?

Who else would be available to fill that void? And at what cost?

#49 Chris
February 23 2009, 10:04PM

Oh... and I don't want to hear about how young Nilsson and Gagner are! This is the big league. If you are not ready to produce here; you shouldn't be here.

And don't tell me that they just need to find "consistancy"... They have been consistant; consistantly unproductive since camp. Torres was inconsistant. He would score 5 or 6 goals, hit everything that moved, and generally look like an emerging dominate power forward for a short stretch. Then he would disappear. That is inconsistant. These guys have been a complete waste of roster space. They don't win draws. They don't kill penalties. They don't hit. They don't score! Why are they here?

#50 W.T.
February 23 2009, 10:06PM

W.T. hears Atlanta and Oilers are deep in talks. Horcoff,Cole and Smid for Kovalchuk and Marty R. Marty R was compared to Joe Sakic by MacT and he will be first line center.