Deep Thoughts VII: sick and tired

Robin Brownlee
February 27 2009 01:17PM

riddlernation

I was going to go out to Millennium Place today and watch the Edmonton Oilers, but I've come down with whatever's laid the rest of my family low and decided to stay home. Besides, cold sweats, aching joints, fever and the urge to puke or crap myself is more appealing.

With Thursday's uninspired 1-0 loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets in the books, the NHL trade deadline looming and my fat head thicker than usual, I've got to admit I don't have any answers.

Not for what ails the Oilers. Not for GM Steve Tambellini. Not for fans still shaking their heads after watching their heroes get outclassed at every turn by the Blue Jackets. I did, however, have a retort for the adult-proof cap on the medicine bottle containing the drugs I hope will lessen the urge I have to establish a new record for projectile vomiting. It's called a pair of vice-grips.

No, all I've got are questions, observations and complaints, each tainted by nausea and torqued by a ring of fire that makes it difficult to be the positive, care-free guy I usually am.

Still, I'd rather be me than Tambellini.

Just asking...

  • What does it say about the character of the Oilers when a 39-year-old goaltender, who was pegged by many to be kicked to the curb when the season began, is your best player against Columbus? And where would this team, the one that was supposed to be a Northwest Division contender, be without Dwayne Roloson?
  • Anybody who bought the load of bologna offered by Craig MacTavish in pre-season -- when he talked about finishing atop the Northwest Division and feeling the need to quell all the optimism he felt -- into self-loathing now like a rube roped into a pyramid scheme?
  • Between bloated contracts for the likes of Shawn Horcoff and Dustin Penner and being saddled with under-achievers like Erik Cole and Robert Nilsson, does Tambellini have a player over the age of 22 not named Ales Hemsky who anybody would want at the deadline?
  • Anybody with a functioning brain steam who thinks tweaking this line-up, even with a rental forward good enough to play top six minutes, will be enough to get the Oilers into the playoffs and past Detroit or San Jose in the first round?

Getting here

  • I know this is heresy, but is there anybody from the group of Sam Gagner, Andrew Cogliano, Nilsson, Ladislav Smid and Theo Peckham a lock to be more than a good player? Is there a franchise building block in there?
  • Do the Oilers have as much young talent in the above group as Columbus? How about Chicago? Or Anaheim? Phoenix? Nashville? So, is the future, say the next three or four years, really that rosy?
  • How do the Oilers five best players -- let's go with Hemsky, Sheldon Souray, Horcoff, Lubomir Visnovsky and Tom Gilbert -- stack up against the top five in San Jose and Detroit? How about Vancouver? Calgary? So, how promising is the immediate future?
  • If Hemsky's contract is Kevin Lowe's finest moment, does his offer-sheet to Penner and the stack of dough thrown at Horcoff rate as his biggest gaffes? I know, it's a rhetorical question...
  • Criticized as a tool, an oaf and a mouth-breathing stooge in his war of words with Lowe, and with reason in terms of STFU Quotient, is bombastic Brian Burke looking a little smarter now? How's that Bobby Ryan kid?

And another thing...

  • How much, if any, will past moves by Lowe affect Tambellini in trying to make trades? Will Darcy Regier answer Tambellini's calls? Will Burke, his old boss in Vancouver, talk trade with the Oilers?
  • With the deadline approaching and Marc Pouliot (not to mention JF Jacques and Nilsson) available as a sweetener in deals to anybody who wants them, do you ever imagine Zach Parise in Edmonton silks? And how does someone NOT get fired over that?
  • How much help is on the way when you look at Springfield and prospects still in major junior or college hockey? And, while you're answering that, are you among the 90 per cent of fans who overvalue the Oilers young talent? Oh, you just wait until Jordan Eberle gets here, Buster. It'll be different.
  • Is a playoff spot and five-and-out against the Red Wings or the Sharks really enough to make you shrug at the answers to the above questions? Good luck with that.

-- Listen to Robin Brownlee every Thursday from 4 to 6pm on Just A Game with Jason Gregor on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
A sports writer since 1983, including stints at The Edmonton Journal and The Sun 1989-2007, I happily co-host the Jason Gregor Show on TSN 1260 twice a week and write when so inclined. Have the best damn lawn on the internet. Most important, I am Sam's dad. Follow me on Twitter at Robin_Brownlee. Or don't.
Avatar
#101 deepoil
February 27 2009, 09:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

W.T. wrote:

W.T. just turned the wheel in for the night. W.T. is a huge NHL fan and had to pull over this morning when listening to Bob MacKenzie on the 1260 show. Did you all hear him talk about the Oilers and trade deadline day and the bad contracts the Oilers have. He said Horcoff would be a third line center on the Flyers. But W.T. says the best line MacKenize said was why would the Oilers throw good money after bad. Hey KLowe, what you think that means???? Or for that matter,any you defenders of the Oiler mismanagement want to take a stab at that one. Just another hard lesson for you Oiler fans to accept.

MacKenzie gets paid to speak the truth on the team 1260 while pierre macquire has to watch his p and q's on corus - same tsn - different outlet feed within edmonton

Avatar
#102 W.T.
February 27 2009, 09:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

W.T. says Pokie Reddik is one of the funniest bloggers in North America. You all could learn a thing or two from Pokie.

W.T. says hair dye is available at Rexall. You get a special deal if you can prove you watched the Oiler game last night.

Avatar
#103 pmg2
February 27 2009, 10:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

This Oilers team is a disgusting, pitiful, sad, uninspired, and shameful joke !! Period. A Real Pro Team does not display all the aforementioned attributes (or lack of) on such a consistent scale. These guys (well - most of these guys) lack any "consistent" gamesmanship, pride, motivation, and professionalism in preparing themselves to come to work. Most people can accept the degree of losing if players come to the rink and give a decent and consistent effort game-in and game-out. We can accept the rare game off as we do understand the nature of being human. But these guys have clearly taken it to a new level.

And for some of the decisions which management have made, they ought to be ashamed of themselves too. The over-priced contracts which have been paid out for 1 good playoff run, and loyalty, ....speaks volumes in being short-sighted. They need to give their heads a serious shake !! I have never been a bandwagon jumper. Always pleased for the team when they did good or when they didn't do so good despite decent efforts. But what we have now is a new height of futility and mediocrity which has lasted for a number of years (excluding 1 year).

Merely being in a battle toward fighting for a playoff spot isn't good enough !! Their current position conceals many problems despite the standings. Anyone who thinks different (including the media and talk show hosts) are foolish !!

Avatar
#104 W.T.
February 27 2009, 10:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

W.T. watching Sportsnet on his Sling Box. They are saying Oilers need a top 6 forward and a goalie. Wow, who would of guessed. Maybe they have one top six foward so they really need 5 top 6 fowards and a goalie. But hey, you Oiler fans will once again but all your faith in KLowe and Tambo. Sleep well knowing your team is in great hands.

Avatar
#105 Jonathan Willis
February 27 2009, 10:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

W.T. wrote:

W.T. watching Sportsnet on his Sling Box. They are saying Oilers need a top 6 forward and a goalie. Wow, who would of guessed. Maybe they have one top six foward so they really need 5 top 6 fowards and a goalie. But hey, you Oiler fans will once again but all your faith in KLowe and Tambo. Sleep well knowing your team is in great hands.

Because clearly, the goaltending has been a major issue.

I don't care what prattle Bill Watters spews from his pulpit, or however many folks like yourself gobble it up, but drinking the Sportsnet Koolaid is equally as stupid as blind faith in Kevin Lowe.

Dwayne Roloson lets in some weak goals, but he's been above average this season.

And while we're at it, name ten teams where Shawn Horcoff and Dustin Penner couldn't crack the third line. Seriously, you're embarassing yourself.

Avatar
#106 Jonathan Willis
February 27 2009, 10:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

And while we're at it, why doesn't everybody who's really worked up just step back from the ledge a little... let's try and remember that the Oilers are pretty much league-average at this point; 13 teams are tied or below them.

It's parity. That isn't to say that Lowe, Tambellini, MacTavish and everybody else shouldn't be called out for their errors, but this team is hardly the Islanders or the Thrashers.

They're mediocre. Unfortunately for fans, the current NHL system punishes mediocrity and rewards lousiness.

Avatar
#107 yo
February 27 2009, 11:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

If those who have posted here are in fact true Oiler season ticket holders who are taking a pass on playoff tickets I am only surprised that they are the only ones doing it and saying so publicly. The Oil haven't got the roster or the balls to make the playoffs. One very bad sign is the fact that KLowe and MacT are willing to drag the teams reputation through the mud so they can keep their jobs. Their collective departures will not have the honor or recognition attached to them because of their feckless incompetence. I think their reputations are somewhat in jeopardy because they have overstayed their welcome and performed very poorly. The only question is how long will it take to right the ship.

Avatar
#108 wiggs22
February 27 2009, 11:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I read on another web site an idea oon trading schremp and/or pouliot to pitsburgh? pouliot played with crosby way back and they'd have chemistry and lets face it.... schremp will never play as long as macT breathes. Could be an incentive peice in a deal. What about Frolov. He's got 25 goals so far and plays left wing. We already have a good relationship with LA. What would it take to get him?

Avatar
#109 Bruno
February 27 2009, 11:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

moose66 wrote:

the Oilers will always have the die-hard fans that read the threads and post on blogs like this and buy their season tickets.

Thats the problem! I just think we need change.. A new begining. But not now . Has to be in the summer. We are still in the hunt for a playoff spot. CLEAN THE OUTHOUSE it stinks!

Avatar
#110 Pokie Reddik
February 27 2009, 11:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Jonathan Willis wrote:

And while we’re at it, why doesn’t everybody who’s really worked up just step back from the ledge a little… let’s try and remember that the Oilers are pretty much league-average at this point; 13 teams are tied or below them. It’s parity. That isn’t to say that Lowe, Tambellini, MacTavish and everybody else shouldn’t be called out for their errors, but this team is hardly the Islanders or the Thrashers. They’re mediocre. Unfortunately for fans, the current NHL system punishes mediocrity and rewards lousiness.

Well this management is the reason the Oilers are where they are. I truly applaude the EIG for thier hockey savy where there was a power strugle where the majority wanted to get rid of LOWE, they did not want to sign an extension. For people who have never played pro hockey and well in thier years they knew a lot more than present company including all the promoted do called asstG.M.'s. Sadly to say there is no hope in the future for Oiler fans, all you can do is voice your displeasure, which will fall on deaf ears or skip the games, there will be someone else to take your place but this is dwindling too where half price tickets for some games go on sale a few days before the usual(nashville was mostly promo nite, but St.louis is another example).Tampa fans had thier say and they listened, Tampa, and her 5000fans! Maybe just boycott Rexal Drugs and Katz will feel the pinch like the rest of the country, and he can take away Lowes 56million toy away.

Pokie

Avatar
#111 yo
February 28 2009, 12:39AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Jonathan Willis wrote:

They’re mediocre. Unfortunately for fans, the current NHL system punishes mediocrity and rewards lousiness.

Jonathan, Sadly you are right. The scary big picture is having Bettman saying the situation is not the situation and teams like Phoenix are going to lose $30 large for a total of $200 large. (Read millions of dollars lost during the current ownership.) Who can continue to do that just to have NHL hockey in Arizona? Bettman's penchant for medling is putting the league in considerable jeopardy.

The scary small picture is the Oil are the very definition of mediocrity. I'd say 18 of the last 19 seasons make this pretty much an undisputed fact. I could handle mediocrity for a time if the team went out and busted their asses and brought as much as they could every night. This team with 30-40% AHLers doesn't even come close. Penner may be the new prototype of an Oiler player. Heartless, gutless and useless. If Clarkenstein is for real then the day may be coming when there will be a backlash of unknown proportions by fans and commercial sponsors.

Did the Oil not raise ticket prices for '09/10? What a slap in the face to the fans. How far will Katz let this situation go? What do you think it will take for Katz' to react?....empty seats that's what.

Avatar
#112 David S
February 28 2009, 03:59AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

yo wrote:

If those who have posted here are in fact true Oiler season ticket holders who are taking a pass on playoff tickets I am only surprised that they are the only ones doing it and saying so publicly. The Oil haven’t got the roster or the balls to make the playoffs. One very bad sign is the fact that KLowe and MacT are willing to drag the teams reputation through the mud so they can keep their jobs. Their collective departures will not have the honor or recognition attached to them because of their feckless incompetence. I think their reputations are somewhat in jeopardy because they have overstayed their welcome and performed very poorly. The only question is how long will it take to right the ship.

So I guess if they DO make the playoffs, your whole argument is pretty much blown outta the water, right?

Man, the amount of couch GM's on this site is amazing.

Guys. The team is pretty much where most informed bloggers put them at the beginning of the year. 3 more wins and you'd be planning the parade right now. I'll admit that MacT screwed up by letting his enthusiasm get the better of him at the beginning of the year, but I don't think that's enough to hang him quite yet.

We're running in a whack of young guys, probably more than any other team in the league, and we're still in it. I checked the 07/08 stats a few days ago, and we're about 7 points ahead of last year. Hate to break it to you, but we're not winning the cup this year. Given that, it seems a bit premature to bring out the lynching squad just yet.

Avatar
#113 deepoil
February 28 2009, 07:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Jonathan Willis wrote:

W.T. wrote: W.T. watching Sportsnet on his Sling Box. They are saying Oilers need a top 6 forward and a goalie. Wow, who would of guessed. Maybe they have one top six foward so they really need 5 top 6 fowards and a goalie. But hey, you Oiler fans will once again but all your faith in KLowe and Tambo. Sleep well knowing your team is in great hands. Because clearly, the goaltending has been a major issue. I don’t care what prattle Bill Watters spews from his pulpit, or however many folks like yourself gobble it up, but drinking the Sportsnet Koolaid is equally as stupid as blind faith in Kevin Lowe. Dwayne Roloson lets in some weak goals, but he’s been above average this season. And while we’re at it, name ten teams where Shawn Horcoff and Dustin Penner couldn’t crack the third line. Seriously, you’re embarassing yourself.

explain yourself here - horcoff is making first line money and penner second line money - where does your third line reference have any weight

Avatar
#114 Jonathan Willis
February 28 2009, 07:57AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ deepoil:

Sorry, I meant second line. WT claimed the Oilers only had one top-six forward, something which is farcical on the face of it.

Avatar
#115 W.T.
February 28 2009, 08:01AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

W.T. states it was Bob MacKenzie that said Horcoff would be the third line centre on the Flyers.

Avatar
#116 Peter Pan
February 28 2009, 09:28AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

deepoil wrote:

sorry oilers can lose a portion of funds as long as the nj accountants approve the cross branding of the conglomerate - when you have a company called rexall that is profitable and is paying corporate tax - rexall sports is the ying to the yang and sometimes the expenses of an entertainment entity are positive to have in the term of checks and balances - making money is not primary - capturing the brand name and association with non taxable benefit is KEY - you can hide a lot of cash in a hockey team with losses - great tax avoidance vehicle…. really

Hey Deep Throat. As smart as you try to make yourself sound, please explain to me the last 17 years prior to Rexall owning the team, which hasn't even been a full year yet? Quit trying to be smart. Everyone has access to a thesaurus.

Avatar
#117 Jonathan Willis
February 28 2009, 09:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ W.T.:

Good for W.T. As anyone who has read me regularly knows, I have a ton of respect for Bob McKenzie. Of ocurse, I don't contract out my thought processes to him, so maybe that's the difference.

Now, you aren't answering my question, which was aimed at your ridiculous claim that the Oilers only have one top-six NHL forward, but I'll give you another one - who would you say the Flyers top three centres are?

Personally, I'd go with Richards - Carter - Briere, although my understanding was that Carter had been playing on the wing. If Carter's up the middle, McKenzie is right, if not, he's wrong, because Shawn Horcoff is a far superior player to Daniel Briere. On the other hand, if Carter's listed as a centre, the only Flyers wingers I see as clearly better than Dustin Penner are Simon Gagne and... Simon Gagne. Does that make Penner a #1 winger?

You claimed the Oilers had only one top-six forward. I claim that's hyperbole, and wrong.

Avatar
#118 W.T.
February 28 2009, 09:51AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

W.T. after he stops laughing would suggest that if, as you say, Dustin Penner is a #1 winger for a team like the Flyers, who by the way are 11points ahead of the Oilers and will make the playoffs, then he must be carrying the team he is with now.

Avatar
#119 Jonathan Willis
February 28 2009, 09:55AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ W.T.:

I didn't say Dustin Penner was a #1 winger. I extended your argument to it's logical conclusion, and suggested you were wrong.

Which you are.

Still, I see you have no real desire to try and defend your argument, and that's probably wise; indefensible positions are no fun at all.

Avatar
#120 Deep Oil
February 28 2009, 10:01AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Deans wrote:

Wow the pitchforks and torchs are out. Enough with all this BS about how you will stop being a fan if the Oilers dont make “signicant changes ” to the managment/roster/Mark Shultz. I still want the Oilers to make the playoffs and I still think that they will. I know alot of fans want to blow this whole thing up (myself included) but dont delude yourself into thinking that you dont want to see the Oilers in the playoffs. Even if they get shitrolled by SJ in 4, it will be a blast to experience playoff hockey in Edmonton. It’s fun to play arm chair GM and agrue w/ other fans, but regardless of what changes are made we will still be die hard Oilers fans. Look at the brightside, we have Katz as the owner not Harrold Ballard. This team is committed to winning in a market where hockey demand is high and supply is small. Yah Im dissapionted w/ the season too but dont question the Oiler’s managments desire to win. No matter how many sellouts in a row the organization is still commited to winning.

IS being silent better than being vocal (at least once) - Katz - ..... Gene Melnyk is right twice as day accoording to his watch.

Oilervision will get you either way with Mark Schultz in the house or Gene P on the tube - too bad the oil could not provide some compensation for this corporate shilling by MS - and provide some ice ambassodors - but that would violate Northlands marketing policy - who controls the ice in conjunction with oilers operation

Avatar
#121 Deep Oil
February 28 2009, 10:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Peter Pan wrote:

deepoil wrote: sorry oilers can lose a portion of funds as long as the nj accountants approve the cross branding of the conglomerate - when you have a company called rexall that is profitable and is paying corporate tax - rexall sports is the ying to the yang and sometimes the expenses of an entertainment entity are positive to have in the term of checks and balances - making money is not primary - capturing the brand name and association with non taxable benefit is KEY - you can hide a lot of cash in a hockey team with losses - great tax avoidance vehicle…. really Hey Deep Throat. As smart as you try to make yourself sound, please explain to me the last 17 years prior to Rexall owning the team, which hasn’t even been a full year yet? Quit trying to be smart. Everyone has access to a thesaurus.

I have been a season ticket holder since 1979 and went to all the WHA games - even saw Norm Ulman score a historic goal where they distributed black and white photos later in the period to the fans. I will go back farther than the 17 years....

Bill Hunter has a dream - it is stolen by Zane Feldman Hunter is a dreamer with no cash - he is also a leader. Feldman and Dr. Allard (Allarco sell the team to PUCK)

Pocklington extracts cash from Oilers to prop up Palm dairies and uses mostly government regulated businesses to acquire, divert and hide cash - Fidelty and try's to become leader of our country - using 99.

After winning the cups, the economy and support after selling 99 wanes..... push comes to shove and the team is seized by his ally / nemesis ATB.... scotiabank floats Bean, Saville and a bunch a locals. Slats is given his walking papers and LOWE is annointed with a lifetime contract to make up for lost wages as a player.

Mediocrity and Ligtning in a bottle occur simultaneously.

EIG gets old, cranky and want to retire and take advantage of tax issues - as most were given a 1.6 tax credit for investing in Canada under this arrangement. If they die and do not plan correctly - the tax payable is harsh.

A son of a pharmacist from Capilano (one store) with ties to a community that could not afford to be part of EIG suddenly has billions of dollars to buy the team.... with the help of McKesson, Cit Group - floats a $200mm loan or less - as EIG got less than $200mm for the team... trust me... and is welcomed by Bettmans - who let Boots Del Bagio into the league, while every other owner is arrested on security charges back dating options.... Batman makes one peep at an August press conference and lets KLOWE destroy the team with signings that are questionable at the time and are the nail in the coffin after the fact.

Oiler fans lose interest and Katz has to deal with this failure and answer to his creditors once the team starts to lose the maximum revenue in this equation.

Katz wants to ride the 2006 cup run and pressure government, fans into RX2 for a new development that he can control for $100mm in downtown Edmonton with other "community" members such as Mandel - a property developer.

I am not a season ticket holder anymore - and I tickled how Edmontonian's have the wool pulled over their eyes with this farce. Smoke and mirrors - now shut up and keep buying the oiler tickets - MacT stays, Lowe is here forever and by the way - do you want to buy some baseball tickets.

Avatar
#122 Cam
February 28 2009, 10:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Jonathan Willis: You are on fire this morning JW.

I would like to chime in here again on the note about top six forwards. I think the problem is that we have 1 (and a half if you count Horc) first line forwards and six second line forwards. If we could trade off a few of those second line guys for some first line talent then I think it would be better for the team.

and PS... the koolaid is copper and blue.

Avatar
#123 Jonathan Willis
February 28 2009, 10:27AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Cam:

That's just it - there are plenty of potential top-six guys in the lineup, but not that many top-three guys.

Then again, some of those top-six guys (Gagner, Nilsson, Cole) haven't played like top-six guys for good portions of the year, either.

Avatar
#124 yo
February 28 2009, 10:33AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

David S wrote:

So I guess if they DO make the playoffs, your whole argument is pretty much blown outta the water, right?

Absolutely. I hope to hell I am wrong. All I've seen so far this year is inconsistency and lack of battle. I am just fed up with what passes for effort about every game or two...aren't you?

Avatar
#125 W.T.
February 28 2009, 11:59AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

W.T. suggests you must take off your rose coloured glasses or maybe they are pink Jonathan Willis.

How many of the Oiler top six great forwards are in the top say 25 scoring in the NHL? How many of the Oiler top six forwards are in the top 25 in goals or assists. How many of the Oiler top six great forwards have been selected as 1st star of the game over the past 25 games. How many of the top six fowards have played the entire season as a top six forward.

And W.T. says please remember these top six forwards are on a team that is not in a playoff spot right now.

So logic suggests that if they are a top 6 forward on a non playoff team, what makes you think other than #83 any of them would be in the top six forward positions on a playoff team.

One more note from W.T., of your top 6 forwards, who battles hard every night and you live the rink knowing they earned their money that night, gee Penner, Horcshit,Gagne,Nilsson,Cole???????????

Avatar
#126 Deep Oil
February 28 2009, 12:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Cam wrote:

#70 Deep Oil February 27 2009, 5:36 pm. APE - FMNF wrote: @ Cam: What color is the kool-aid today? simple one - copper and blue

is this a compliment that other nation are repeating my posts.......

#70 Deep Oil February 27 2009, 5:36 pm.

APE - FMNF wrote:

@ Cam: What color is the kool-aid today?

simple one - copper and blue

Avatar
#127 David S
February 28 2009, 12:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

yo wrote:

All I’ve seen so far this year is inconsistency and lack of battle. I am just fed up with what passes for effort about every game or two…aren’t you?

I too have been puzzled by the lack of competitiveness from this team on more than one ocassion. You'd think as pros, that would be one thing they WOULD bring every night. If anybody ever uncovered what that was all about, it would make one heck of a story.

The other thing is that alot of us vastly overestimate how good this team is. Could it be that what we see as lack of compete might be the fact that some teams make us look bad because they're simply alot better than us? I mean, there's alot of pissed off people on here every time Detroit or San Jose kicks our ass when the fact is we should be surprised if they don't.

Avatar
#128 Sing A Song For SingSing
February 28 2009, 12:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Jonathan Willis:

Thing is though, they're mediocre with superior talent on paper, both offensively and defensively. At least that's what most people thought.

Add all those horrific contracts into the mix, and the whole "it's parity" and "we're about league average" arguments get forgotten awfully quick.

And rightfully so.

Avatar
#129 Sing A Song For SingSing
February 28 2009, 01:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Jonathan Willis:

And sorry Jonathan W., but with all the statistical prowess you exhibit on this site, could you please prove to me how Shawn Horcoff is a "far superior" player to Daniel Briere?

Despite having an excellent half-a-season playing beside Hemsky last year, he is not a proven offensive player. 05-06 regular season and playoff run aside (again, a contract year), the guy is just not made to really produce offense.

Sure he's wonderful defensively, but that's why he's better suited in a checking role. If he was a 2nd line or 3rd line center on this team, the Oilers would be 10x better for it. He just doesn't have the offensive skill set to be on a 1st line.

I appreciate his backchecking ability and solid overall game, but he has displayed hands of stone this year. Virtually all the points he picks up are a result of playing with Hemsky, and he has done nothing on the powerplay all year.

I'm not denying he's a good player, I'm simply stating that without another quality winger, that first line is doomed and won't win any championships with Horc centering it. That's not even a slag against him.

Anyways I'm just curious really, how you think Daniel Briere isn't as good a player as Shawn Horcoff. And for the most part, I don't disagree with you.

Avatar
#130 MikeP
February 28 2009, 01:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Robin B wrote:

Between archival systems at SLAM that require people to pay for internet stories once they’re past a few months old

Robin, don't have Lexis/Nexis? Maybe a friendly with such access could do some digging for you, although I frankly wonder why you bother justifying yourself to people with obvious agendas. Whatever you dig up will be insufficient or wrong anyway, so just ignore the axegrinders.

(end of unsolicited advice)

Avatar
#131 yo
February 28 2009, 04:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Peter Pan wrote:

Hey Deep Throat. As smart as you try to make yourself sound, please explain to me the last 17 years prior to Rexall owning the team, which hasn’t even been a full year yet? Quit trying to be smart. Everyone has access to a thesaurus.

Hey, what's a Thesaurus?? I think I saw one of those at the Tyrell Museum a couple of years ago. Quit trying to be so smart you guys, you are going to leave about 90% of us behind.

Avatar
#132 GDB 62: Oilers gone Wild - OilersNation.com
February 28 2009, 06:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

[...] Brownlee’s sick as a dog, I’m sick as a dog, and it seems like the Oil are sick as dogs — they’re certainly playing that way. Meanwhile, Wanye’s internet access has vanished and it took me way too long to update the scores and standings on the site. Things havent’t been kosher, my darling Nationeers. [...]

Comments are closed for this article.