Only sort of about hockey

bingofuel
February 27 2009 11:00AM

lolcatboring

I sat through the entire game last night in glorious HD. High-def was the only thing glorious about it. I thought about talking about how watching the Oil play last night was like watching one of those old-timey football board games where the players just vibrate around the board and don't really do anything. Those of you who saw it know exactly what I'm talking about.

Instead, though, I'm going to talk about something related to the Oilers. Something that might make you feel a little bit better about the shitanus™ effort displayed by a team that cannot afford to phone it in and lose to teams like the Blue Jackets. Hey, there's got to be something out there to get me excited about this team, right? Gah!

Tweets 'n Twits

It would appear that Steve Tambellini and Craig MacTavish have Twitter account. Oh sure, the people behind these accounts are clearly not the real deal. But I imagine that the ghosts in the machines are at least partially able to channel the thoughts of MacT and Tambo. To wit...

Quotes from Twitter MacT

Planning the lines for tonights game using my patented pull names out of a hat method. Right now Macintyre, Gagner and Souray are 1st line.

Told the guys today that if we want to make the playoffs we're gonna need to play with more jam. That fat bastard Penner asked what flavor.

Quotes from Twitter Tambo

Thinking of sending Gagner to junior. I mean junior high school, not hockey. Kid thinks Narnia is a real place. Sucks at hockey, too.

It's a good thing the game versus Calgary is here tonight. Harvey the Hound scares the bejeezus outta me.

Now these clearly aren't the real deal (wouldn't it be boring if they were, though? Stock comments aimed at helping angry fans keep the faith they've long-since lost). And I'm certain that when Allan Watt, VP of Oilers Marketing, finally wises up to these, he'll shit a brick or six and then hire up a team of rabid lawyers to destroy the people behind these accounts. But at least these twitterers make an otherwise god-awful game/season/hockey team something interesting again.

If anyone needs me, I'll be under my desk crying tears of oil.

243fa199ff6efc362bf29a17e950b47e
Bingofuel is the handsome cyborg who pulls all the levers behind the curtains of the OilersNation. When he isn't running the site, he's plugged into a wall socket, recharging. Or Brownlee and Wanye are playing "keep away" with him. He gets little to no respect.
#1 Monday Guy
February 27 2009, 11:04AM

I thought "Oilers", and smiled.... ... first time all day

#2 The Towel Boy
February 27 2009, 11:05AM

...moogily googily...

That's all I have to say.

#3 Mike Krushelnyski
February 27 2009, 11:17AM

100% TRUE OILERS STORY:

Steve Tambellini called a closed-doors meeting with the hockey minds behind the Oilers last Saturday. Tambellini arrived a little bit late, and when he opened the door to the boardroom he discovered that everyone else was already there.

Kevin Lowe was blowing into a jug while Craig MacTavish, clothed only in bib overalls, danced an up-tempo jig on the boardroom table. Billy Moores and Charlie Huddy were clearly having the time of their lives, hooting and clapping at the amazing spectacle that was unfolding before their eyes.

Behind this merry group was a large whiteboard that stood out in stark contrast to the dark oak of the boardroom. On it was a single thought, scrawled in a childish hand. It read simply "Shon Horcoff iz the BEST!"

Tambellini stood there for only a moment, but it seemed to last an eternity. He sighed, closed the door and drove home where he immediately posted his resume on Monster.ca.

#4 JRocks247
February 27 2009, 11:22AM

Is there any other sports franchise which provides as much torment to its fans as my mighty (edit: frustrating to the point of forks in eye sockets) Oil?... Almost every Oilers season in a really long sentence. The build up, the WTF moment, the anger, the complaints, the blame game, the hair on fire hope for some light at the end of the tunnel, the fall...the realization...the acceptance.

Go Oil...and no Penner I didn't mean go for seconds!

#5 swany
February 27 2009, 11:24AM

I was jacked up for that game more than my team was, If I can recognize the importance of this game how can't the players, I new it was going to be a lifeless game when Boll ran Roli and know one did anything about it.

#6 Deep Oil
February 27 2009, 11:24AM

See I told you it was an asylum - Twitter folk are safe as Allan Watt does not know an ip address from a you tube posting of GOLA -

#7 Pokie Reddik
February 27 2009, 11:30AM

The Oilers coaching staff, since they will be here till year end, should have and now should sit Gagner, Even Gretz was sat by Sather. Is MacT keeping him in for shoot ours? All he does is make mistake after mistake and costing them games, along with the coaching staff. He's too young to go to the A, let him sit out Saturdays game and let him watch, Cole doesn't need him, try Cole with Cogs, speed can kill. There are going to be changes to the team in the next couple of days,We all Know Cole will be gone, you can't "cuddle" Gags till he's a UFA Sit Him. Sit Him. Put in JFJ, or waive him,. The Oilers lack size but they don't play the size they have, I know JFJ is not Gags but he does hit, so does Reddox, He's impressed more than Gags. MacT is getting greyer by the minute, maybe they would do a "feel Sorry for" like they did with Low?, but that was Slats.

#8 socaldave
February 27 2009, 11:31AM

what flavour? WHAT FLAVOUR??? HAA HAAA HAA HA HA HAA HAA!! OMG... ~wiping tears away~ that was just awesome

#9 swany
February 27 2009, 11:32AM

Today is the day for a trade, you could have the player here before the next game and what is there to wait for,

#10 APE - FMNF
February 27 2009, 11:33AM

@ Pokie Reddik: Gagner has skill Reddox doesn't. Gagner could take 14 out of 15 shifts off but on the 15th shift his skill will trump everything Reddox does in the whole game. Thats why he gets to play. He will be a better player, in the long run, because of it.

#11 Smokin' Ray - NNC
February 27 2009, 11:38AM

swany wrote:

I was jacked up for that game more than my team was, If I can recognize the importance of this game how can’t the players, I new it was going to be a lifeless game when Boll ran Roli and know one did anything about it.

If you watch the replay, Gilbert looks at it and turns his head. Then Smid yaps at Boll from 30 feet away but does nothing. Now what does that say to the rest of the league? Ahhh do whatever you want. Nice Boys!

(Need New Captain)

#12 Pokie Reddik
February 27 2009, 11:38AM

@ APE - FMNF: I am not a Reddox fan but he's done a lot more than Gags, and they are the same size.

#13 knobert
February 27 2009, 11:41AM

man last night was a terrible game, thank god the drunk guy in front of us gave us enough entertainment to keep us laughing through the second and third....... booooooo Raffi Torres

#14 Pokie Reddik
February 27 2009, 11:44AM

I was amazed last nite listening to Fred and Dan Tencer , where Fred basically had the balls to finally call out MacT. He was stepping on egg shells but the message was sent good for you FRED!!

#15 Cam
February 27 2009, 11:52AM

The Oilers could have won that game and it still wouldn't be very exciting. Watching a trap team never is, and last night they trapped well and then the Oil got sloppy and lost by one goal... yawn. I thought I was watching the wild or the 1995 NJ Devils play.

And what is up with the Rexall Ice. The puck was bouncing so much the Basketball in row 23 was getting jealous.

Sloppy, boring, and the Oil lost. Yuck.

#16 Jack "FMNF" Bauer
February 27 2009, 11:56AM

We should repost that Gregor post after the last Blue Jackets game about seeing an energing superstar in Hemsky, and Rexall Place being energized like it has never seen before.......

yeahhh.....

#17 APE - FMNF
February 27 2009, 11:56AM

@ Pokie Reddik: Like what has he done? Skate hard and make a few hits?

#18 APE - FMNF
February 27 2009, 11:58AM

Sorry I'm just in an instigating type of mood today..

#19 shakey
February 27 2009, 12:03PM

@ Cam: Bad ice affects both teams and the Jackets were still able to get 30 plus shots off. This game had nothing to do with the ice. It was the crap effort being put out by the home guys on the ice.

#20 Pokie Reddik
February 27 2009, 12:09PM

APE - FMNF wrote:

@ Pokie Reddik: Like what has he done? Skate hard and make a few hits?

And what has Gags done? besides his usual mistakes?

#21 jeanshorts
February 27 2009, 12:16PM

@ APE - FMNF: @ Pokie Reddik:

YOU GUYS ARE BOTH A-HOLES!!! NOW SHUT THE HELL UP!!!

I'm.....I'm so sorry. I don't know what came over me. SEE WHAT YOU'RE DOING TO US OILERS??? YOU'RE TEARING US APART!!!!!!!!!!

#22 shakey
February 27 2009, 12:29PM

@ jeanshorts: There there JS...just have some kool-aid and it will all be okay.

#23 Loki
February 27 2009, 12:30PM

Good article (not sure if linking allowed, if not, my bad but doesnt come close to OilersNation) that made me stop bitching about Gags so hard. His corsi and goals for/against are better this year then last. Needs a linemate with talent - not Nilsson thinking hes got Hemmer-esque skills.

#24 chaz
February 27 2009, 12:32PM

After last night's effort, it should be obvious to everyone that the Oil should be deadline sellers. You hear me Dan Barnes? Sellers!!! This team has no heart and no identity and needs rebuilding. Too bad the people who make the decisions can't see this. Listen to the Nation Oil Brass. Even the most die-hard fans realize this, and you should too.

#25 Ender the Dragon
February 27 2009, 12:40PM

At moments like these, I think it helps to step back and say to oneself "It's professional ice hockey. When they win, I still have to go to work. When they lose, I still get to eat. Many of my loved ones don't even know the games are played, yet their lives are unaffected. Take a deep breath . . . everything is going to be all right."

Take a minute to reflect on all things not Oilers. Then, if the emptiness makes you start crying, you book yourself into the same institution that Deep Oil and W.T. reside in. If not, the day seems just a little bit better, and that's what we're looking for here, folks: perspective. Post-season, no post-season, MacT, no MacT; it doesn't change the place that you sleep or what you're having for supper tonight, so let some of it go.

#26 Wej
February 27 2009, 12:41PM

This team is a joke and will continue to be that way until Lowe, MacT & Co. are gone.

I was embarrassed to be an Oiler fan last night.

bingofuel, how did sucking look in HD last night. I unfortunately was at the game, and now I'm trying to get that stench out of my clothes.

#27 Pokie Reddik
February 27 2009, 12:41PM

chaz wrote:

After last night’s effort, it should be obvious to everyone that the Oil should be deadline sellers. You hear me Dan Barnes? Sellers!!! This team has no heart and no identity and needs rebuilding. Too bad the people who make the decisions can’t see this. Listen to the Nation Oil Brass. Even the most die-hard fans realize this, and you should too.

This is a talented team. It just needs a coach who can coach offence and not the trap.

#28 Tim S
February 27 2009, 12:51PM

@ Pokie Reddik:

Reddox only role is to not get scored on. He dumps it in and chases, then skates back and goes off. If Gagner attempted to play that way he would find his way back to London.

Gagner is a 19yr old kid playing with 2 uninterested line mates. He is making mistakes and would be better served in a role other then the one he serves now but the situation is what it is. He has to stay here and on this team is still the best option in the middle for the 2nd line.

Why praise Reddox, he could be anyone of probably 10 players in Springfield, just don't hurt us.

#29 Jonathan Willis
February 27 2009, 12:54PM

@ Loki:

Linking is fine (unless you're spamming, but you aren't). Especially linking to Lowetide who, IMO, is probably the best writer in the blogosphere.

#30 jeanshorts
February 27 2009, 12:55PM

@ Ender the Dragon:

Good point, but you have to remember that there are a lot of people here than spend thousands of dollars a year supporting this team. So when things go this badly year after year, you're probably going to start getting fed up and probably a little over emotional about it.

But you are right, regardless of how the Oilers do on the ice, the earth will still continue to rotate and we will all go on living our lives. But what's the fun of watching a sports team if you aren't emotionally invested in it? Look at those soccer a-holes in Europe! Now they know how to overreact!

#31 bingofuel
February 27 2009, 12:56PM

@ Wej: This is the problem: visually, the HD was fab. But I was picking up on a lot of details, like the Oil's massive suckitude. No heart. Nothing to keep me engaged. I'm not even sure why I kept watching it.

#32 bingofuel
February 27 2009, 12:57PM

@ Loki: Like Willis says, linking is OK. It sometimes ends up in a spam trap, just because that's how we have things set up. I usually clear the filter fairly regularly, though so no worries.

Sorry about all the comments from moi!

#33 Jonathan Willis
February 27 2009, 12:57PM

Re: Reddox vs. Gagner

Is this seriously a discussion?

Anyways, Reddox is a very good AHL player and a fringe major-leaguer at this point, while Sam Gagner is developing quickly and will be a much better player for a much longer time (obviously).

That said, is there anything wrong with sitting Gagner out for a game now and then after a particularly poor effort?

I'd say no, but then again I wouldn't sent out Pisani and Moreau with no time left on the clock to get a needed goal either.

#34 shakey
February 27 2009, 01:01PM

@ Jonathan Willis: 'but then again I wouldn’t sent out Pisani and Moreau with no time left on the clock to get a needed goal either.'

And that's why you'll never coach the Oilers Jonathan.

#35 Al
February 27 2009, 01:09PM

Jonathan Willis wrote:

Best writer in blogosphere? Please...His grammar is absolutely atrocious. Sure, he gives unique articles about players we have never heard before, but his language and lack of proper grammar make him far from the best. The two guys you have in Gregor and Brownlee are much better WRITERS.

LT has a unique perspective, but don't say he is a great writer when he doesn't know a comma splice, run-on-sentance or many other obvious grammatical errors.

#36 Matt
February 27 2009, 01:18PM

@ Jonathan Willis: that was some horrendous bench management

#37 Milli
February 27 2009, 01:19PM

Jonathan Willis wrote:

I’d say no, but then again I wouldn’t sent out Pisani and Moreau with no time left on the clock to get a needed goal either.

No kidding. i couldn't believe it...although I don't know why I was surprised. I just cannot believe how this group has been so unable to click at all...and how mgmt has done nothing about it....no trades, no firing, no hangings...SAD, SAD, SAD. My poor friend from Calgary (shinkhole) came in today, and said "ya, I was gonna text you, but whats the point" and I don't have anything to say back anymore...except, ya well, you clowns are gonna get bounced in the first round...and that is even getting pretty empty. All I want is a team that FORKING competes. Win or Lose, COMPETE. I found myself wishing for the days Torres would show up , for us, for a game hear and there....BRUTAL!!!

#38 Jonathan Willis
February 27 2009, 01:19PM

@ Al:

But is a great writer defined by his grammar? There's plenty of perfectly precise English teachers out there who couldn't string three interesting paragraphs together.

The thing about LT is that he's interesting; he has a sense of the history of the game that's unique, and a way of putting things together that makes sense and is worth reading.

Then again, it's just my opinion, and mileage will vary.

#39 Tim S
February 27 2009, 01:20PM

#40 Cam
February 27 2009, 01:33PM

@ shakey: I wasn't inferring that the Ice was the cause of the Oilers bad game, it just made the whole game seem sloppy. Columbus played trap and the Oilers didn't have an answer.

#41 mjsh
February 27 2009, 02:45PM

I have been an Oiler fan since the WHA days. I had an offer of a ticket to last night and turned it down. I almost fell asleep last night on the couch watching the game in HD. The team was asleep in Rexall. I cannot recall in 30 plus years a team with so little effort as this one. The players don't care so why should we.

#42 Deep Oil
February 27 2009, 03:13PM

swany wrote:

Yes - please trade or buyout Penner, Horcoff and let Cole walk = $15 million for next year - noting some cap restrictions - penalties..... heard a great trade on the team from Jake Daniels - I couldn't believe it.....

Briere for Horcoff - change of scenery for both problems I mean players.

#43 Deep Oil
February 27 2009, 03:14PM

mjsh wrote:

I have been an Oiler fan since the WHA days. I had an offer of a ticket to last night and turned it down. I almost fell asleep last night on the couch watching the game in HD. The team was asleep in Rexall. I cannot recall in 30 plus years a team with so little effort as this one. The players don’t care so why should we.

Hear Hear - second that - but watching the titanic go down is a car accident I just have to watch...

#44 Deep Oil
February 27 2009, 03:22PM

chaz wrote:

Sorry Allan Watt has restricted oilersnation.com from all oiler employee laptops and desks with help from the IT department. Listening to the team 1260 is reason for dismissal - only corus radio stations until the Katz buyout of Astral radio is complete (LOL).... so their ability to think free is restricted....

#45 Deep Oil
February 27 2009, 03:27PM

Tim S wrote:

@ Jonathan Willis: Do you mean poor effort or poor result?? One that I will never question about Gagner is that he gives his all every shift. The same can not be said about most Oilers, except maybe our saviour Liam Reddox. That is a major problem with this year is accountability. Nillson and Penner are easy targets for MacT because they are not his type of players, but when Cole skates around with his head up his @ss for 40 games nothing. When Moreau uses his stick as an axe for the better part of the year and is rewarded with the call in the last minute of action looking for a goal. Roloson did not have the best start but was given the benefit of the doubt that was not afforded to Garon(worked out though). And when Gagner is struggling he stays he just keeps getting thrown out there. Does MacT not remember how he handled Hemsky at the same age?? He was scratched, benched, played on the 4ht line played on the first played everywhere.

Geez, coach is being tuned out, GM signed the wrong players - UFA are overpaid to deal with the issues and Tambo is hired to deflect the heat for mistakes and the owner goes on vacation - lives out of town and is not accountable - sounds like a real committed bunch. As long as the sheep buy the tickets - who cares as MLSE says - I think that's where the mentoring is coming from secretly from Brian Burke.

#46 Deep Oil
February 27 2009, 03:28PM

Al wrote:

Jonathan Willis wrote: @ Loki: Linking is fine (unless you’re spamming, but you aren’t). Especially linking to Lowetide who, IMO, is probably the best writer in the blogosphere. Best writer in blogosphere? Please…His grammar is absolutely atrocious. Sure, he gives unique articles about players we have never heard before, but his language and lack of proper grammar make him far from the best. The two guys you have in Gregor and Brownlee are much better WRITERS. LT has a unique perspective, but don’t say he is a great writer when he doesn’t know a comma splice, run-on-sentance or many other obvious grammatical errors.

I took lowetides grammar class - works for me.

#47 Deep Oil
February 27 2009, 03:32PM

Ender the Dragon wrote:

At moments like these, I think it helps to step back and say to oneself “It’s professional ice hockey. When they win, I still have to go to work. When they lose, I still get to eat. Many of my loved ones don’t even know the games are played, yet their lives are unaffected. Take a deep breath . . . everything is going to be all right.” Take a minute to reflect on all things not Oilers. Then, if the emptiness makes you start crying, you book yourself into the same institution that Deep Oil and W.T. reside in. If not, the day seems just a little bit better, and that’s what we’re looking for here, folks: perspective. Post-season, no post-season, MacT, no MacT; it doesn’t change the place that you sleep or what you’re having for supper tonight, so let some of it go.

This hotel - spa is great - Alberta Healthcare is picking up the tab and I have HD priveleges for all NHL network games..... and they have wireless internet here for all the guests....

Betting against the oil online is making my children very wealthy - very little risk....... betonsports

#48 APE - FMNF
February 27 2009, 04:08PM

@ Jonathan Willis: I would have no problems with the coach sitting out Gagner, but like what has been mentioned many times there is only accountability for certain players. On most teams after an effort like last night, the team would be put through their paces today (ie: skate the sh*t out of them to let them see how hard they need to work) That is the kind of thing that should've happened this year many times.

#49 Pokie Reddik
February 27 2009, 05:32PM

Piss-ani should have been sent to the A for a conditioning stint. He was scared to go into the corners.

#50 TonyT
February 28 2009, 11:47AM

Sadly this year's edition of the Edmonton Oilers has underwhelmed. For whatever reason (coaching, management, or personnel) they just aren't performing the way we imagined or would have deemed satisfactory. And in all our collective frustration we have cursed, bled, and cried together as we lament the misfortunes of our team. We have voiced our opinions (which to our knowledge have fallen on deaf ears). Most of us have come to the disappointing realization that change is not coming, tomorrow win or lose, buy or sell, MacT and the gang will still be here. We've been through this before, season after season, highs and lows. But I declare today February 28, 2009 I will not abandon my team in their time of need, though they push us away I will keep coming back. I love my team, through good or bad I will support them. Today I'm breaking out my vintage orange and blue, I'm digging through the garage for the overused Oilers flags, and I'm spreading the word - OILERSNATION will not lay down, we are the best seventh men in the NHL and we will will our team to victory! As a citizen 2 things our certain 1) Flames suck and 2) Oilers or death!