Shootout nostalgia

bingofuel
February 06 2009 10:00AM

squirrelsax

Yessir, that’s what last night was all about: the Oilers of yesteryear. Some fighting, a goal for each team, and a shootout win. I’m feeling so nostalgic, it reminds me of Junior High School.

Those were heady days, weren’t they? Strange new feelings towards the opposite sex (or same sex, if that’s how you roll. Diversity is key here in the Nation), cracking voices, terrible acne and general awkwardness. Kind of like our Oilers, no?

I remember my first day of band class in grade seven. Imagine a tiny cyborg sitting there with a larger-than-life alto saxophone. Seated behind me was lil’ Wanye Gretz smashing the drums until he was told to leave the class. Our exuberance was palpable at Wanye’s exit. I laughed so hard that a wad of snot shot out of my nose and onto my upper lip. That’s when the laughter shifted to me. I fled the classroom and bee-lined it for the bathroom. I don’t even recall if I went back into music class that day.

I still can’t look at my old saxophone without openly weeping.

Onwards and sideways

Props to Chris, who accurately predicted the score last night (see comment #3 on the GDB thread). Too bad he didn’t qualify whether we would win in regulation or in a shootout. Guess I’ll just keep this Oilers jersey I was going to giveaway -- and by Oilers jersey, I mean a drawing of Ryan Smyth I did in crayon.

This weekend should be, uh, interesting. We take on the Wings and the Wild. The Wild Wings. Buffalo Wild Wings! No wait, that's something different. Both are afternoon games, so you Justice Leaguers are going to have to sober up right quick in the morning before you fall off the wagon again.

But I’m going to go ahead and predict worthy performances by the Oil. Wins and losses? On that, I won’t speculate.

I don’t want to have my little heart broken.

243fa199ff6efc362bf29a17e950b47e
Bingofuel is the handsome cyborg who pulls all the levers behind the curtains of the OilersNation. When he isn't running the site, he's plugged into a wall socket, recharging. Or Brownlee and Wanye are playing "keep away" with him. He gets little to no respect.
#1 MarcAndre Pooalot
February 06 2009, 10:06AM

Did anyone notice how the team was actually standing on the bench during OT? It looked like they were in to it and not just sleeping away the extra 5 minutes. That was good to see. I wonder how long that enthusasim will continue.

#2 The Towel Boy
February 06 2009, 10:09AM

GOILERS!

Afternoon games are fun, gives me an excuse to drink early.

#3 Mike Krushelnyski
February 06 2009, 10:09AM

@ MarcAndre Pooalot:

Until they realize that beating the Blues in a shootout wasn't really much of an accomplishment?

#4 Chaz
February 06 2009, 10:10AM

Before I unleash my winning predictions upon the Nation, any updates out there on Horcs and Gilbs?

Speaking of Junior High, I'm pretty sure the Oilers contract a remedial Grade 7 language arts class from Saskatchewan to provide them with their nicknames.

Solid effort last night though.

#5 MarcAndre Pooalot
February 06 2009, 10:19AM

Mike Krushelnyski wrote:

@ MarcAndre Pooalot: Until they realize that beating the Blues in a shootout wasn’t really much of an accomplishment?

Good point. Siiigh. I predict a 5-2 loss to the wings. All that standing on the bench likely made them tired.

#6 Chaz
February 06 2009, 10:28AM

By the way, that LA class in Sask also provided me with my nick name. Thanks Kids!

#7 Mike Krushelnyski
February 06 2009, 10:31AM

@ Chaz:

Do you think the Oilers got really confused when they picked up Penner?

"Penner? What's his real name? Oh it really is Penner? So...do we call him Penner-er?"

#8 Pinto
February 06 2009, 10:32AM

Mike Krushelnyski wrote:

Agreed, to me this is not a "bright side" game we saw last night. All this did was show us that we gave up a weak goal on the PP and went to a shootout with what should have been an inferior non-playoff team. Sure we maybe didn't suck as bad or worked harder than in the last couple games but we barely eeked one out on the last place team in our conference. Don't throw out the argument that we were missing a few key players because the Blues have a lot more injury problems than we do.

I'm getting frustrated!!!

#9 Dennis Castro
February 06 2009, 10:33AM

The Oilers won and the Flames lost, all is suddenly right in the world even if only for the time being!

Go Oilers !!!!

#10 Chaz
February 06 2009, 10:46AM

@ Mike Krushelnyski: It definitly would have confused them. Almost as bad as when Brett Favre entered the NFL.

But then of course they go to default nickname rule 1A which is just to use the first sylable of the last name and add an S.

Penner = Pens

All is right in the Nation once again.

@Pinto;

Beating the Blues was an accomplishment. They've been playing well as of late (points in 8 out of their last 9). Every win in this league is an accomplishment, or at the very least a step in the right direction.

#11 The Towel Boy
February 06 2009, 10:50AM

I just checked the salary cap pool....Lord Sexington's Steeds are giving me a real dogfight for sole command of 10th. You'll rue this day Lord Sexington! RUE IT.

#12 Jack "slacking off at work" Bauer
February 06 2009, 10:52AM

"inferior non-playoff team."

#13 Jack "slacking off at work" Bauer
February 06 2009, 10:53AM

Oh yeah, can we fire our deadbeat of a coach already?

#14 The Towel Boy
February 06 2009, 10:54AM

Jack "slacking off at work" Bauer wrote:

Oh yeah, can we fire our deadbeat of a coach already?

Not until Robin says it's ok.

#15 Pinto
February 06 2009, 11:01AM

Jack "slacking off at work" Bauer wrote:

“inferior non-playoff team.” An inferior non-playoff team, playing an inferior playoff team = last nights results.

Touche!!

#16 tedoil
February 06 2009, 11:10AM

Goilers

1-0 loss in minni (and we out shoot them) & 4-3 ot loss in empty seat town

thanks for bringing up Penner again. Nice that he keeps getting all this hate - it was great when I went to the game last week and a guy yelled "f**kin Penner" after a play when he wasn't on the ice

#17 Rice
February 06 2009, 11:52AM

tedoil wrote:

Goilers 1-0 loss in minni (and we out shoot them) & 4-3 ot loss in empty seat town thanks for bringing up Penner again. Nice that he keeps getting all this hate - it was great when I went to the game last week and a guy yelled “f**kin Penner” after a play when he wasn’t on the ice

That reminds me ... F***in Penner, he is the reason that MacT hasn't been fired yet

#18 CurtisS
February 06 2009, 12:08PM

Peckham called up and Poltuny sent down.

#19 Chris
February 06 2009, 12:29PM

If the Oilers get even one point out of the next two games I promise I won't call for MacT's head until the next home loss...

#20 442Junkie
February 06 2009, 12:30PM

@ Chris: So is that Wednesday then?

#21 442Junkie
February 06 2009, 12:31PM

Wow am I ever using the power of positive thinking...

#22 shakey
February 06 2009, 12:34PM

CurtisS wrote:

Peckham called up and Poltuny sent down.

With Horc hurt are we going to start hearing from all the Bubba Gump Schremp lovers that he needs to be called up? Maybe Smid gets moved to forward when Peckham plays. I'm so excited...the MacBlender is going to be on full speed now.

#23 CurtisS
February 06 2009, 12:42PM

@ shakey: Come on now. You know Peckham got called up to play forward. He can center the #1 line.

#24 shakey
February 06 2009, 12:46PM

@ CurtisS: Sorry man...I'm just not myself today.

#25 swany
February 06 2009, 01:32PM

Calgary is 1-3 since the Goala song carma's a real bitch.

#26 Chris
February 06 2009, 01:35PM

Chris wrote:

Since I'm making promises...

If Theo Peckam can seemlessly integrate himself into the lineup and play big minutes for this club freeing up someone else as potential trade bait...*deep breath* I promise...No, I SWEAR, not to be critical of Predergast and crew until June in Montreal.

#27 cremps
February 06 2009, 02:15PM

Does anyone think it seems a little coincidental that Both Horcs and Gilbert were pulled from the game with "injuries" at the same time? Did anyone see anything during the second period that indicated an injury occurred?

#28 Pinto
February 06 2009, 02:28PM

I'm not totally aware of Peckam's ability, is he similar to a Matt Greene style of player?

#29 swany
February 06 2009, 02:28PM

cremps wrote:

Does anyone think it seems a little coincidental that Both Horcs and Gilbert were pulled from the game with “injuries” at the same time? Did anyone see anything during the second period that indicated an injury occurred?

Gilbert's back and Horc has a charlie horse that's what we are beeing told. In confedence they are on there way to the Sens for Heatly (hahahahahahaha)

#30 pmg2
February 06 2009, 02:29PM

Chris wrote:

Chris wrote: If the Oilers get even one point out of the next two games I promise I won’t call for MacT’s head until the next home loss… Since I’m making promises… If Theo Peckam can seemlessly integrate himself into the lineup and play big minutes for this club freeing up someone else as potential trade bait…*deep breath* I promise…No, I SWEAR, not to be critical of Predergast and crew until June in Montreal. It would be nice to see a big, mean, third round Oiler selection have a positive impact at a time when the club desperately needs a push.

Well Chris,....it's fitting that we tak eanother look at last nite's win. Although a win is a win ,....where would this team be w/o Roloson last night. W/O him they're taking another loss (esp with only 1 goal in regulation - again !). The problem is underlying and lengthy. This team just doesn't have it to keep themselved firmly entrenced at the next level ,.....say about staying firmly in a playoff position in 5-7th spots. When was the last time they stayed in that position for a prolonged period ? Now we have Visnovsky who is out for likely a lengthy time (I'd be surprised if it's less than 4 weeks), who knows about Horcoff, ....and Gilbert appears day-to-day. Both have had far less than stellar seasons compared to last year. I believe this team will ----again----have to scratch and claw yet again just to reach those final spots to the end of the season ,....till death do us part. How many times and Where have we seen this before. The problem remains. As for this Saturday, 4-2 Wings, and Sunday, 3-2 Wild. Just saying it like it's been looking like all season long. Win 1, Lose 1 , Win 2, Lose 2, Win 1, lose 2,....(sigh),..

#31 David S
February 06 2009, 02:36PM

I figure if the guys play a strong game against Detroit (win or lose), they'll win against Minny. If Detroit kicks them to the curb, it'll be 0-2.

The formula they used last night seemed to give them confidence - you could see it in the shootout. Too bad they couldn't bring that game for a half dozen of the games they poofed earlier in the year or we'd be trash talking Calgary with alot more conviction these days.

5-2 Detroit beats us 4-2 Edmonton beats the Wild

#32 shakey
February 06 2009, 02:41PM

@ pmg2: 'Just saying it like it’s been looking like all season long. Win 1, Lose 1 , Win 2, Lose 2, Win 1, lose 2,….(sigh),..'

Sadly...it's been like that for too many years. The only thing consistent is their inconsistency.

#33 cremps
February 06 2009, 03:00PM

With Horcoff out (probably), I would be interested in seeing a Hemsky/Gagner/Nilsson line. to me, that makes more sense than plugging Brodziak in with Hemmer.

#34 Bruthah
February 06 2009, 03:02PM

shakey wrote:

The only thing consistent is their inconsistency.

Whoa, you just blew my mind. Well, I'm done working for the day.

#35 Antony Ta
February 06 2009, 03:07PM

Tentative prediction...

3-2 Oilers over Detroit 4-1 Wild over Oilers

#36 Chris
February 06 2009, 03:08PM

@ pmg2: When I looked at this three game road trip I figured a .500 record would be a Godsend! St Louis had points in eight of their last nine games. Detroit is getting things back on track, and let's face it, point getting in Joe Louis is never easy... And Minnesota... How many games have we won in Minnesota the last three years?

Last night was a critical win. The guys just aren't scoring... but a win is a win. The Oilers are not the team I had hoped they would be this year... I have blamed Predergast for not drafting enough offensive talent(other than Hemsky). I have blamed Kevin Lowe for poor cap management and not building a big enough, gritty enough team. I have blamed MacT for making some bizarre decisions...

But we have, what we have... So now I'm bargaining with a higher power. If the Oilers can sneak out another win, or at least a loser point this roadtrip- I'll remain silent of my crticism of MacT. If Peckham can have a significant positive impact on this roster- I'll back off Predergast.(Till June) If the Oilers win a cup with even 30% of the players assembled under the KLowe regime- I'll apologise for everything bad I ever said about him and buy a keg of beer for the staff at Oilersnation!

#37 David S
February 06 2009, 05:31PM

Antony Ta wrote:

3-2 Oilers over Detroit

Good gawd man.

Although I do admire your optimism.

#38 Bru Man
February 06 2009, 10:31PM

Actually I m pretty excited to see Peckam play..6'2 225 ..his PIMS are up there in springfeild...Look for Theo to prove somthing here....He will probally drop the gloves tomorrow too Pretty tough boy..we need that element to our game..