ON exclusive: interview with creators of Ghost Ride the Whip

Wanye
March 11 2009 01:47PM

Editor’s note: While Gregor and Brownlee interview Oilers, GMs and big names of the hockey world, Wanye is off in his own world again interviewing people that he holds in extremely high regard. Personally, I’m impressed with the initiative he's taken on this one. -- bingofuel Long time citizens of the OilersNation know that when things are extra awesome ‘round these parts there is only one thing one can do: ghost ride the whip. But did you know your ol’ pal Wanye conscripted the entire OilersNation Department of Research and Human Trackology™ and found the guys who made the clip? Did you know they are Canadian? Did you know that one of them has kissed a life of ice and snow goodbye and now lives in Australia and the other guy is making more internet movies, including an awesome entry for a Doritos ad? How’s that grab you? Does it grab you directly by the nutteroos and hold on tight? Us too. Yeah, the Nation Scienticians stayed up around the clock for days and finally tracked down Adam and Andrew -- authors of the infamous video clip we have all come to love AND the DJs behind the remixed the version of Ghost Ride the Whip that has tattooed itself on all of our brains on numerous occasions. This is completely for real shit, Nation. Don’t think we’ve made this up. Want to know more?

We did too.

Tell us a bit about yourselves? Age? City of residence? Visa and/or Mastercard numbers?

I'm a very immature 25 years of age, and although I exude a certain Bay Area flava, I was actually born and raised in Halifax, NS. My Mastercard number is 5191... waaait a minute!

What inspired you to make this clip and compose this hot jam?

The whole thing happened almost by accident. At the peak of our boredom, some friends and I decided to kill time by blogging about ghost riding the whip. One day my friend Andrew excitedly called me over to his house to hear an epic new ghost beat he had just created. This became the song we all know and love. Once we finished bumping the jam at full volume, he emailed it to me and I started putting the video together. At the time, we had no idea what kind of impact it was going to have. One million Youtube views later, we helped inspire kids all over the globe to risk their lives and their parents’ cars.

Are you guys hockey fans? If yes, who do you like? If no, what is your knowledge of the greatest sport on earth?

After hearing countless stories from my friends about playing minor-league hockey against Sidney Crosby, I like to pretend that I know more about hockey than I actually do. All I can say is that I'm glad it's our national sport. God knows lacrosse couldn't hold the fort on its own. Oh, and one time in high school Georges Laraque came into a gas station I worked at to buy condoms.

We get all sorts of static for the stuff we do on the Internets. What was the reaction to your clip and song?

The initial reaction was overwhelming. The hits just kept climbing and we couldn't believe what was happening. Suddenly a couple of dudes from Nova Scotia were regarded as the authority on ghost riding the whip. Once ghost riding hit the mainstream, several US networks played our clips in their news stories, the full video was featured in a Chicago art show, we were approached by a couple television producers, and a well-known Bay Area DJ asked us to review his ghost riding documentary. Then you got hold of us and let us know we had a fanbase in Edmonton. Every time we think the ghost ride train has grinded to a halt, it keeps pulling us back in. We'll never escape it.

More importantly -- how do you think the Oilers did at the trade deadline? Wasn’t trading Erik Cole to Carolina the worst thing ever?

I don't want to talk about it; I'm still upset about the Ryan Smyth trade. Sorry to bring that up.

Wanye note: SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

*secretly enjoys the ghost ride the whip guys all the more*

As internet legends -- do you think Coach Craig MacTavish should be fired?

You know, as far as I can remember, he didn't wear a helmet in his playing days. I think we owe the man something for that. Perhaps a "Part Of Our Heritage" moment at the very least.

We want to know if we could steal an actual MP3 of your ghost ride the whip remix and or the MPEG file of your video. We want to remix a new version of the video using Oilers fans ghost riding their everythings. What was your answer to theses terrorist demands?

We're doing everything we can to fulfill your request. If the song can help the Oilers kick ass in the playoffs, then it's served its purpose.

Wanye note: SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

*secretly enjoys the ghost ride the whip guys all the more*

Do you entrust tens of thousands of rabid Canadian hockey fans with your number one jam?

Absolutely.

Really? Why?

The song is all about making people happy, and we want to spread the joy as far as we can. Just as long as Carlos Mencia has nothing to do with it. He sucks.

Youtube recently took your video clip down despite the fact that it had over one million views. Any reasons for that?

I tried numerous times to contact Youtube regarding the take-down, and all I got was an automated response saying that it had "Inappropriate Content." It seems weird to me that it was the highest ranking ghost ride video for over two years and then suddenly became inappropriate. Being that I need to stay on good terms with Youtube for my career, I decided not to rock the boat.

However, the original video is still available on Revver.com, and its lesser known sequel "Tell Me When To Ghost" is still on Youtube.

What’s next for you two geniuses?

Well, Andrew used the Ghost Ride experiment to help springboard his career in SEO and Internet Marketing. He's now quite successful and works out of Australia.

As for myself, I've decided to pursue my lifelong passion of video production, and am attending film school this coming fall. My most recent video is a submission for the Doritos Guru contest, and can be viewed here.

The winner is chosen by votes from the Canadian public, and you can vote once a day. All you do is click the "thumbs up" icon to the right of the video and create a login. You can win prizes just by voting. The deadline is March 18th. I am blatantly asking you to vote.

Wanye note: This movie is fantastic. As tribute to ghost riding the whip, everyone must go and vote for these guys. Even you DeepOil, surely you can even see the merit in helping out fellow Internet hucksters.

There you have it folks. Some people ghost ride the whip. Others make kick-ass jams and movies about it. Others still interview the guys that do the cool things while remaining safely on the sidelines.

You're welcome, society.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 SeanS
March 11 2009, 02:01PM

Priceless.

#2 baggedmilk
March 11 2009, 02:01PM

Really cool interview, Wanye. Who would have guessed this was coming?

#3 The Towel Boy
March 11 2009, 02:02PM

Hard hitting investigative journalism at its finest Wanye.

Well played.

Well played, indeed.

#4 Al Hamilton
March 11 2009, 02:18PM

My day was really boring until I read this. I am at least 50 percent less bored now than 5 minutes ago. Thank you.

#5 OvenChicken8
March 11 2009, 02:40PM

I think I am going to need JW to do a statistical analysis of this epic blog!

#6 Hoodlum
March 11 2009, 03:28PM

Well that settles it....I'm gonna go ghost ride the fat chick down the hall from my office. This has beed the best day at work EVER

#7 Wanye Gretz
March 11 2009, 04:10PM

What a fantastic interview!

*secretly plots how he can get these guys to help with the Nations by making kick ass movies*

#8 Robbo
March 11 2009, 04:46PM

Lovely interview but you really need to move on from the Erik Cole issue...

#9 BUCK75 - FMNF
March 11 2009, 04:55PM

@ Robbo:

No need to move on from the Erik Cole.

~I vote we go over to his house, play a game of hockey on his kick-ass back-yard rink he built for his son. Then loot his house & have a bonfire & roast marshmallows & drink bailey's while burning all of their furniture.~

I hearby proclaim the SECTSF acronym on Wanye's behalf. Sign Erik Cole This Summer Fockers!!!

Did you know he has 1 Gino & 5 Assists in 3 games since he went back to RDU?

*starts sticking pins into Erik Cole voodoo doll*

#10 Amber McCormick
March 11 2009, 04:56PM

I think someone is smitten...and me thinks it Wanye!

#11 Adam
March 11 2009, 04:57PM

Thanks again for giving us the chance to tell the Ghost Ride story Wanye!

Any feedback on the Doritos video anyone?

#12 BUCK75 - FMNF
March 11 2009, 05:02PM

Oh yeah - while looking up Erik Cole's stats @ Hurricanes.NHL.Com, I noticed this notice:

Canes Offer Three-Year Price Freeze on Season Tickets

Wouldn't that be nice in Edmonton...oh yeah & if they manage to make it to the Conference Finals, the ticket prices don't go up by round(like they do here).

RALEIGH, NC—Kyle Prairie, Director of Ticket Sales for the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced the team’s 2009 playoff and 2009-10 season ticket offerings. The plans are highlighted by an opportunity for season-ticket holders to freeze their season ticket rates at the current prices through the 2011-12 season. By placing a 30 percent deposit on their 2009-10 season tickets now, fans guarantee that their season ticket price will not change for the next three seasons, locking them at their 2008-09 price through the 2011-12 season. In addition, the team has made adjustments to how fans can pay for their season tickets, allowing them to spread their payments over an 11-month, zero-percent-interest plan, where installments will be paid monthly beginning with their deposits in March and extending into January 2010. Along with the season-ticket adjustments, the team is also improving the discounts and payment options for season-ticket holders purchasing Stanley Cup playoff tickets. If the Hurricanes advance beyond the second round of the playoffs, season-ticket holders will pay the same amount for tickets in the Conference Finals and Stanley Cup Finals that they paid in the second round, ensuring deeper discounts for the most sought-after tickets of the hockey season. Fans placing deposits on 2009-10 season tickets may also take advantage of a new pay-as-we-play payment plan for the playoffs. Under the plan, account holders will only be charged for games that are definitely being played. As the team advances or additional games are forced during a series, fans will be charged on a game-by-game basis, rather than series-by-series. The team also will continue its popular gift incentive, ticket voucher and ticket exchange programs for season-ticket holders for the upcoming 2009-10 season.
#13 Wanye Gretz
March 11 2009, 05:23PM

Adam wrote:

Uh, it's fantastic? Does that count as feedback? It would look crisper in HD I'm sure but the storyline and music and visuals are tremendous.

#14 Travis Dakin
March 11 2009, 10:40PM

Hoodlum wrote:

Well that settles it….I’m gonna go ghost ride the fat chick down the hall from my office. This has beed the best day at work EVER

HAHA why? did you get sick of ghost riding her in your bed already? Times are tough, I know.

#15 Adam
March 11 2009, 11:46PM

Wanye Gretz wrote:

Adam wrote: Thanks again for giving us the chance to tell the Ghost Ride story Wanye! Any feedback on the Doritos video anyone? Uh, it’s fantastic? Does that count as feedback? It would look crisper in HD I’m sure but the storyline and music and visuals are tremendous.

Thanks man! Now hopefully people read the part of the interview where I shamelessly ask for votes, haha

#16 442Junkie
March 12 2009, 12:41AM

I'll be right back I need to get a bag of doritos...my wife like to read and stuff.

#17 The Towel Boy
March 12 2009, 08:02AM

...I went to sleep last night with this tune rolling around in my head.

I ghost rode my pillow before finally falling asleep.

#18 Ballz
March 12 2009, 08:47AM

Wanye,

After seeing this I was of course laughing my ass off but... also dissapointed. As a self-proclaimed hip-hop fanatic and worshiper of one of the greatest lyricists and pioneers of the game, there was ZERO mention of the so-called bay area DJ. I am referring to the one and only Ballitician; E-40. Maybe I'm wrong, and please inform me if Charlie Hustle did not inspire this movement of ghost riding your whip but check out the track from "My Ghetto Report Card" entitled "Tell me when to go". I always thought that it was created in the valley joe, or maybe E-40 copped it from those cats in Hali? Either way, I would love to see it done down groat road.

#19 Ballz
March 12 2009, 09:05AM

I must have blinked when watching the video the first time. The second time I watched it there was a flash of E-40 at the start so I apologize.

#20 David S
March 12 2009, 10:05AM

First time I saw this video I laughed my ass off too. It's so bad that it's good. Thanks for finding this Wanye. Now if we could only have a legitimate reason for posting it at the beginning of a GDB.

#21 Adam
March 12 2009, 11:57AM

Ballz wrote:

Wanye, After seeing this I was of course laughing my ass off but… also dissapointed. As a self-proclaimed hip-hop fanatic and worshiper of one of the greatest lyricists and pioneers of the game, there was ZERO mention of the so-called bay area DJ. I am referring to the one and only Ballitician; E-40. Maybe I’m wrong, and please inform me if Charlie Hustle did not inspire this movement of ghost riding your whip but check out the track from “My Ghetto Report Card” entitled “Tell me when to go”. I always thought that it was created in the valley joe, or maybe E-40 copped it from those cats in Hali? Either way, I would love to see it done down groat road.

The Bay Area DJ who asked us to review his documentary was DJ Vlad. As much as we wanted E-40 to get in touch with us, we weren't quite on that level.

#22 Ol'fart
March 14 2009, 07:06AM

Some major editing skills! I'll definately be giving you a thumbs-up daily on the Doritos vid

GL with it Adam