Gregor's third quarter report card

Jason Gregor
March 02 2009 02:40PM

gregort3

Here's the third quarter report card for the Oilers. This is a quarterly report and not a midway ranking, and you can see their respective grade from the first and second quarters in here and here. Also read below for an update on Ethan Moreau's condition.

A+ Dwayne Roloson. The Colossal Fossil has been the Oilers most consistent player this segment. He was the either the first (4) or second (4) star eight times this stretch. His save % is now .917, he is 14th in wins and only four goalies with more wins have a better save %, Tim Thomas, Ryan Miller, Niklas Backstrom and Steve Mason. He has started 18 in a row and with no back-to-back games in their next eight games I don’t see him sitting anytime soon. (B first 20, A- 2nd)

A Ales Hemsky. Hemsky scored ten goals in the 18 games that he played. He was super-star dominant in the early part of this quarter, but only had two goals and two points in the last six games. He had 17 points in the 18 games, but he leaves you wanting more. On a team starving for offence he is clearly their best player, and he has become so exciting that if he doesn’t dominate a game we are disappointed. He has raised the bar, and with 10 goals in 18 games and linemates that are struggling he is deserving of this grade. (A+ first 20, A second quarter)

A- Sheldon Souray. Souray continues to be consistent physically and emotionally. His points were down a bit, 11, in this quarter compared to his 14.5 average in the first two. He played over 28 minutes in five of the games, and with the style he plays that gets taxing. The return of Grebeshkov should ease his minutes and allow him to be more effective. His point totals and +/- was down a bit this quarter, so he dipped slightly. (A in first two segments)

A- Zack Stortini. Career segment for Stortini, who didn’t forget his job even though he snipped four goals in the 14 games he played. He also had five tilts, and Stortini’s confidence is evident in every area of his game. He is throwing more punches and scoring more goals. Strange stat, he didn’t miss the net once this segment. All nine shots of his hit the net and four went in. He has a 27.8 shooting% now. You can’t expect much more from Stortini. If his more talented teammates would work half as hard as he does the Oilers would be in a much better position in the standings. (C first 20, B- 2nd)

A- Tom Gilbert. After no goals in the second quarter Gilbert was a beast offensively this quarter. He had 18 points, the most of any Oiler this segment. He only had two goals, but 16 assists for a D-man is very good. The problem was he had 21 giveaways as well. Of course not all of them resulted in goals, but his turnovers did result directly in six goals for the opposition. I would still like him to use his size a bit more, especially in one-on-one battles down low, but his offensive production was incredible. He played lots of minutes this quarter, so you would expect a bit of an increase in his turnovers. The fact is he produced offensively, and on this team offence means more. Plain and simple. (B- first 20, C- 2nd)

B Denis Grebeshkov. Nine points in the 14 games he played, a +4 and the giveaways continue to shrink. His value is even more important on a team with so many forwards who struggle to score. His return has a double positive, in that he brings more offence but also he can take some minutes away from Souray and Gilbert. He still needs to shoot more though, 38 shots is unacceptable. (C+ first 20, B- 2nd)

B Kyle Brodziak. Ten points in this stretch, (5th most on the team) and he had 19 hits this segment compared to 22 in the first two combined, which shows he is trying to be more physical. He is still above 50% in the draw, but if he could become 52-53% that would help. He was consistent this quarter and if he and his wingers continue to produce it could go a long way to the Oilers making the playoffs. It is sad when your 4th line scores almost as often as your 2nd line over 20 games. (C first 20, B- 2nd)

B Lubomir Visnovsky. He had six points in the six games he played before tearing his labrum. He has been very consistent this season, and before the injury you sensed his game was getting even better. His absence has been very noticeable, especially on the PP. He gets a grade because of how big his injury has been. (B- first 20, B 2nd)

B- Jason Strudwick. His minutes grew with the injuries to 71 and 37, and when paired with Peckham he was a good mentor for the rookie. He continues to fair well in most of his fights, and is one of the few signings that has worked out for Kevin Lowe. He isn’t flashy, but his noticeable enthusiasm for the game is refreshing. (A- first 20, B- 2nd)

B- Ladislav Smid. Another guy who stepped up due to injuries on the backend and he played solid. Five assists, with three of them coming as he led the rush show he is trying to add more offence to his game. But he has to work on his shot, which could be the worst point shot in the league. He hasn’t scored a goal since March of 2007. He doesn’t take many penalties for a guy who plays physical, and the best part about his game is that you are seeing improvement as the season progresses. (C first 20, B- 2nd)

B- Erik Cole. He has been the most talked about Oiler of late, but for trade speculation rather than production. He is a tough guy to evaluate. He went nine games without a point in this stretch, but he finished with seven goals. He had 58 hits this quarter, and just when you think he is going to be a dominant force most nights he seems to disappear offensively. Brownlee and I have disagreed on whether he will be here come Wednesday at 1 p.m., but with Moreau’s injury I’m more certain than ever he will be here. They need at least one forward to play physical. (F first 20, B+ 2nd)

C+ Steve Staios. After a horrendous second quarter, Staios rebounded and played much better this segment. I still think Staios plays best between 18-21 minutes, and I give him credit for play upwards of 26 and 27 during some games, but if they ask him to keep playing that much it will affect his game. He shows courage by blocking lots of shots, he stepped and in the game v. Minn after Buffalo demolished them, he crushed Veilleux with a hit, and has a spirited tilt with Clutterbuck. He leads by being competitive every game. We know he doesn’t have the most ability, but he shows up and that is more than most of his teammates can say.(B- first 20)

C+ Liam Reddox. The little Red-Ox is consistent every game. He battles hard, skates hard and has fit in nicely on the 4th line. He brings energy every game, and lately has started to make good decisions with the puck. You wonder if guys like Nilsson, Gagner, Cogliano and Pouliot played with the same determination how good they would be. Many ripped Reddox because the coach put him in a bad spot for 5 games, on the first line, but it is hard to criticize what he brings to the ice now. I believe that Reddox’s play might make Pisani expandable in the future. He is much cheaper, skates as well and is even grittier.

C Andrew Cogliano. He had a tough stretch with only two goals. You would like to see some improvement in his faceoffs, but there hasn’t been any. He is still a woeful 38%. You would like to see him improve to at least a 45% guy the next segment. It is an element of his game he needs to work more on, because he hasn’t shown any signs of improvement all year. Like many other forwards he needs to engage more, and with his speed you would like to see him draw more penalties. (B- first 20, A- 2nd)

C Steve Macintyre. He played seven games and wasn’t a defensive liability, but outside of his two fights he didn’t do much. Of course it is hard to make an impression in three minutes. With the games becoming even more important, I doubt you will see lots of MacIntyre down the stretch. (B- first 20, N/A 2nd)

C Theo Peckham. He played eight games, and was a +1 in these eight games. He was physical, and most importantly he played a simple game. He wasn’t a major factor in games, but he never hurt himself either. He showed he can add some toughness on the backend for next year, or possibly this year if there is another injury.

C- Ethan Moreau. Moreau is an emotional player, but his emotions got the best of him too often during this stretch. Too many penalties hurt him, and he needs to be more controlled. While the penalties piss you off, at least he has produced something, scoring five goals. Only Cole and Hemsky scored more goals this quarter, so you would give Moreau an A for offence and and F for discipline. (A first 20, C 2nd).

****Update on Moreau’s eye. He has a scratched cornea and there is blood behind the eye. The good news is that he is staring to see shadows, so the outlook looks good. His return date is up in the air right now, but most importantly it sounds like he should escape serious injury.

C- Shawn Horcoff. A strange quarter for Horcoff. At times it looked like he was incapable of finishing a one-timer, yet the small parts of his game improved. He was 58% in the dot during this stretch, and was +9. Hemsky was +3 and Penner +2 so it’s a rare stat where he isn’t being carried by Hemsky. 13 points just doesn’t cut, and at the end of the day doing the small things aren’t enough for your 1st line center. Horcoff better get used to hearing criticism, because when his new contract kicks in next year the expectations will be even greater. I really think MacTavish should lessen his PK minutes. I know he is in great shape, but why not use Cogliano a bit more? I know that Cogliano can only come off the bench on the fly, because he can’t win a draw to save his life, but I think it might benefit both players. (D in first 20, C 2nd)

C- Sam Gagner. Two goals and four points from your 2nd line centre is horrendous. While Gagner competes hard, he is clearly struggling to play like he did last year. His ankle is still bothering him a bit, but his over handling of the puck is what has plagued him the most. Regardless of the ankle, he needs to improve his foot speed this summer. While he claims he hasn’t lost any, you wonder if his confidence is where it needs to be. If the Oilers plan to finish 5th or 6th he has to start contributing. (D+ first 20, B- 2nd)

C- Marc Pouliot. Not much different from Pouliot. Rarely did you notice him in the 16 games he played. He doesn’t score enough to be a top six, he doesn’t play physical to be an energy guy, and rarely do you feel confident he will win the one-on-one battle for a puck. He seems to have lost the confidence of his coach, and you wonder if he will be here come Wednesday. He is the poster boy for soft, safe and unwilling to compete forward that the Oilers have an abundance of. (D- first 20, C+ 2nd)

C- Dustin Penner. More of the same from Penner. Sure he had 10 points, but do you remember a game where he took control of even a shift? It gets old to ask why he doesn’t look interested, but it is getting harder watching him float through most games. I don’t expect him to be as dogged as Stortini or Moreau, but being the softest guy on the ice when you are 240 pounds is embarrassing. If he gave even a decent effort I think he would score 25-28 goals easily, but he seems incapable so far of finding a consistent effort. (D first 20, C-)

D Robert Nilsson. One goal during this stretch from your supposed 2nd line LW is not good enough. The most damning stat for Nilsson is that not once in the 51 games he’s played has he been named a star. Not freakin once. Not once has he been one of the best three players on the ice. With the amount of natural ability he has you would think that in one game he would be a factor. I don’t expect him to be a physical presence, so all he can bring is offence, and he hasn’t been bringing it. The frustrating part about Nilsson’s game is that there is no middle ground. At least when Cole isn’t scoring he draws penalties or hits, what does Nilsson do when he score? If you know let me know. (C first 20, D 2nd)

N/A Fernando Pisani. Only played two games, so no grade.

N/A Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers. Outside of two relief appearances his biggest contribution has been in practice. Maybe he has to let the forwards score more in practice to get some confidence. You wonder if he gets another conditioning stint, and they call up Dubynk and let him play in the one or two games that Roloson doesn’t start down the stretch. If JDD does play, it will be more his mental game that he showcases. (B first 20, C 2nd)

C is for COACHING. MacTavish was much calmer this segment. He didn’t call out anyone this stretch. I’d like to see him make better adjustments during the game. While it is human nature to have favourites, I wonder why Horcoff has to play as much as he does. He still can’t get over mistakes players make, but I give him credit for rewarding players who give a solid effort. They actually had their best stretch this quarter going 11-8-2, but this team still can’t seem to play consistent enough. At some point he needs to find a way to reach the underachievers. Saying he can’t isn’t an option.

Grade as a team: C+. They went 11-8-2 during this quarter, with eleven home games and ten road games. They still lack an identity at home, and that has to fall on the shoulders of the players. This team is where they are due to Roloson, their defence and Hemsky. It is not coincidence that almost all of the C grades and below are forwards. Currently the only playoff teams with fewer goals are Columbus and the Rangers. The fourth line has been overachieving, Hemksy is dominant, Moreau and Cogliano have produced okay, but the other six forwards are underperforming. Horcoff, Penner, Cole, Gagner and Nilsson have to improve, and if even three of them do the Oilers should squeak into the playoffs.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
One of Canada's most versatile sports personalities. Jason hosts The Jason Gregor Show, weekdays from 2 to 6 p.m., on TSN 1260, and he writes a column every Monday in the Edmonton Journal. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/JasonGregor
Avatar
#51 namflashback
March 02 2009, 05:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Something curious about Horcoff --

- last year, before his torn labrum he was shooting accurately and often, but his faceoff %tge was down - this year, he takes more faceoffs than any center in the league, is up on his %tge

Anyone connected know if he switched sticks in order to be stronger on the dot?

Remember when Sykora was here? His whippy sticks would often break because of the beating it was taking when he played center for a stretch of games.

Stoll is exceptional on the faceoff date, but how often did we see his stick break?

Avatar
#52 Fiveandagame
March 02 2009, 05:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

namflashback wrote:

Something curious about Horcoff – - last year, before his torn labrum he was shooting accurately and often, but his faceoff %tge was down - this year, he takes more faceoffs than any center in the league, is up on his %tge Anyone connected know if he switched sticks in order to be stronger on the dot? Remember when Sykora was here? His whippy sticks would often break because of the beating it was taking when he played center for a stretch of games. Stoll is exceptional on the faceoff date, but how often did we see his stick break?

You know what? That makes a ton of sense.... Cool observation!

Avatar
#53 Jason Gregor
March 02 2009, 05:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Dennis wrote:

Gregor: I guess I just have a problem with this rating format in the first place. Everything should be judged on what a guy’s making relative to the budget or cap.

The game is about production, not what you make. It's about what guys do. Since you rail on Staios so often, how does his production to salary ratio rank?

I rank it on what a players realistic expectations are based on how he has played in his career. That is a true ranking. They set the bar. Not coaches, not salary, but actual production. YOu can argue that Horcoff might be a B- instead of a C, fine, but did you expect all of us to see the game the same.

It seems most agree with the overall ranking excluding one or two.

But the game will always be about production and play on the ice. I could care less what a guy makes. If he makes two million, do I want him not to overachieve and play like a guy worth three or four. Of course not.

Avatar
#54 Jonathan Willis
March 02 2009, 06:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

APE - FMNF wrote:

Jonathan Willis wrote: APE - FMNF wrote: So who are these “soft minutes” against when we refer to Sam? It’s not like he’s on the 4th line and plays against plugs. Just because he isn’t putting up numbers doesn’t mean he isn’t on the board in the away dressing room before games as a player to watch.

In Gagner's case, it's generally the other team's weaker scoring line. Every so often he sees tougher opponents (he played a ton against Ovechkin that last game in Washington, because that's the way Boudreau likes it), and every so often he sees weaker opponents, but on the whole he's seeing players rather similar to himself.

Avatar
#55 Jason Gregor
March 02 2009, 06:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

tencer's brain cell wrote:

Both play weak opposition and get killed. Our eyes show us this -they’re both slow, behind the play, and rarely physical enough- and the numbers , e.g. Corsi, GFAON, qual comp., etc., all agree that these guys suck.

Your eyes must be blurry, since I gave Staios a D last quarter.

Yeah Strudwick has really cost the Oilers games. His play is a major factor. Unlike you, I don't think Corsi numbers are the ONLY way to evaluate the game.

I don't discount Strudwick is slow, but please point out a time he was beaten badly. Has he lost a fight? He plays his role and contributes. He isn't supposed to be a major factor in the game. No other 6th Dman really is. If they aren't noticed then they are playing well. And Strudwick has been more noticeable than most expected.

The GFON over 60 minutes is ridiculous stat in my mind. If a guy plays on the 4th line for 7 or 8 minutes a night, it is really hard to get in the game, and you have a fewer chances to score. Multiplying that by seven or eight to get to sixty minutes proves what exactly.

And if a guy plays 16 minutes and scores as much as a guy who plays 19 it doesn't guarantee that he would automatically produce more at 19 minutes. Maybe he would get more tired...There are many intangibles that go into it.

Either way you can use your paper stats and I'll incorporate actual live games and stats in mine. To each his own.

Avatar
#56 APE - FMNF
March 02 2009, 06:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Jonathan Willis: If he plays against the weaker scoring lines wouldn't that mean that those lines were probably better defensively? Just because the 2nd line on team isn't as much as an offensive threat as the 1st doesn't mean they are any less capable of playing solid defense. To make it in the NHL, you must be able to play the defensive side of the puck. That is why I don't see the so-called "soft-minutes" that you speak of.

Avatar
#57 APE - FMNF
March 02 2009, 06:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

But I do agree that Gagner isn't relied on nearly as much as Horcoff to shut down the opposing teams top line. However, I don't think that should be either of those two palyers' role.

Avatar
#58 Ty
March 02 2009, 06:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Just wondering if anyone can answer this, Kyle Turris was sent down to the AHL a little while back, and was recalled today. The odd thing I noticed is that he's 19, I thought you had to be 20 to play in the AHL?

With all his struggles this season why hasn't Gagner gone down this season? Can any one explain this?

Avatar
#59 Jonathan Willis
March 02 2009, 06:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

APE - FMNF wrote:

@ Jonathan Willis: If he plays against the weaker scoring lines wouldn’t that mean that those lines were probably better defensively? Just because the 2nd line on team isn’t as much as an offensive threat as the 1st doesn’t mean they are any less capable of playing solid defense. To make it in the NHL, you must be able to play the defensive side of the puck. That is why I don’t see the so-called “soft-minutes” that you speak of.

Like Sam Gagner? Traditionally the weaker scoring line is where you see 45-60 point players who cash a lot on the powerplay and end up around -10 (I'm generalizing massively here, but the point is accurate).

It's the Robert Nilsson's, Sam Gagner's, and Mike Comrie's of the world. Kristian Huselius fits into that group, as will Rob Schremp (if he makes it).

These are guys with defensive pitfalls who (as a rule) make their hay on the powerplay and are weaker at even strength. They get tossed out after the power-vs.-power and checking lines, and generally wind up in the third slot in terms of EV icetime.

Avatar
#60 Jonathan Willis
March 02 2009, 07:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Ty wrote:

Just wondering if anyone can answer this, Kyle Turris was sent down to the AHL a little while back, and was recalled today. The odd thing I noticed is that he’s 19, I thought you had to be 20 to play in the AHL? With all his struggles this season why hasn’t Gagner gone down this season? Can any one explain this?

I believe that because Turris went the NCAA rather than CHL route he's exempt. That rule only applies to players who go through junior.

Avatar
#61 Ty
March 02 2009, 07:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Jonathan Willis: Ah makes sense now, thanks!

BTW... this site is awesome! JW, Robin, Gregor, and all the "voices of the nation" keep it up!

Avatar
#62 APE - FMNF
March 02 2009, 07:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Jonathan Willis: I see your point Jonathan and while I agree somewhat I just think Sam is chastised by the fans here but they forget that this kid is only 19 years old. Because of this, I think it is unfair to compare him to Comrie and even Nilsson who has been in the league for a while. If after a few years, baby Sam is not putting up the numbers then I would agree with your assessment. On the flip side, how can we be sure that he will not be a great player once he gets stronger and puts on some muscle?

Avatar
#63 Dennis
March 02 2009, 09:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Gregor: I guess we see things different because I think it's ALL about what you're making and what role you play. Wings are so good up front because their big forwards play power and make less than some other guys. Ducks won in '07 with a checking line playing power and making shag-all. Oilers almost won in '06 with a guy making the money making the plays - Pronger - and then a bunch of guys making little and out-performing their contracts: 10-14-16-34 etc etc.

This isn't 2002 and we aren't the Wings with 70 odd mill to spill so, yeah, I'm gonna be looking at salary every time.

As for 24, he's making ~3 mill and he's a bottom pairing D when everyone's healthy. I'd rather have two Smid's because at least that guy's salary's a little more under control.

To close, the whole idea of report cards are archaic. These days it's about budget and cap and it's easier to make these judgments because salaries are common knowledge.

Avatar
#64 Jonathan Willis
March 02 2009, 09:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ APE - FMNF:

Belive me, I'm a big believer in Sam Gagner's upside as an NHL player. I'm not sure if he'll turn out to be excellent or just good, but I wouldn't expect him to handle tough matchups at his age; very few players do.

It will come.

Avatar
#65 THEBIGD
March 02 2009, 10:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

David S wrote:

THEBIGD wrote: …To bad the people in charge can’t see what I see and I have many friends who also feel the same way as I do. Have A Good Day THEBIGD Jeebuz! Not even a space between the sentences. You may have had a point in there somewhere D, but I don’t think anybody could read it.

I KNOW SORRY EVERYONE I SHOULD HAVE WROTE THIS MUCH EARLIER IN THE DAY.BUT I FEEL WHAT I HAVE TO SAY NO MATTER THE SPELLING OR RUN ON SENTENCES AS MY PROBLEM IS WHEN I GET TYPING MY BRAIN IS GOING A MILE A MINUTE LOL I HAVE TO SLOW DOWN AND EDIT BEFORE I POST.I PROMISE YOU ALL I WILL DO A BETTER JOB NEXT TIME.AS I NEVER DONE THIS KIND OF THING BEFORE.AND WAS SO EXCITED TO GET IT OUT I DID NOT TAKE THE TIME NEEDED TO CHECK MY ERRORS .BUT I DO STAND BEHIND ON WHAT I SAID.AND I ONLY USED OTTAWA AS A EXAMPLE AS THERE ARE A LOT OVER OTHER TEAMS AND PLAYERS TO TRADE FOR.BUT UNLESS WE GET A GOOD COACH IT WON'T MATTER WHO COMES HERE.THANK YOU THEBIGD

Avatar
#66 THEBIGD
March 02 2009, 10:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Librarian Mike: DEAD SERIOUS MY FRIEND. I BELIEVE THIS NEEDS TO BE DONE FOR THE GOOD OF THE TEAM. I HAVE NO IDEA WHY EVERYONE THINKS ALES IS THAT GOOD ESPECIALLY FOR THIS TEAM.WE HAVE GIVE HIM SO MANY PLAYERS TO TRY TO PLAY WITH HIM.BUT NO MATTER WHO PLAYS ON HIS LINE IT'S NOT GETTING BETTER. SO I BELIEVE, THAT MAYBE IT'S ALES THAT IS THE PROBLEM?AND HE CAN BE TRADED ANYWHERE, AS I JUST USED OTTAWA AS A EXAMPLE .ONCE AGAIN I AM SORRY IT WAS SO LONG AND I WAS UP AWAY TO LATE TO TAKE THE TIME TO EDIT ALL MY MISTAKES.I AM VERY SORRY ABOUT THAT. I JUST WANTED TO GET THIS OFF MY MIND AND TO SEE WHAT OTHER FANS THINK ABOUT WHAT I BELIEVE NEEDS DONE.AS THIS NEVER CAME UP BEFORE YET IT HAS BEEN ON MY MIND FOR A VERY LONG TIME. THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE SUPPORT OR BLASTING ME AS IT'S ALL IN GOOD TASTE AND A GOOD WAY TO CONNECT WITH OTHER OILER FANS TOO.THIS WAS MY FIRST POSTING BUT IT WON'T BE MY LAST. I THANK EVERYONE FOR KEEPING THIS SITE OPEN TO ALL OF US FANS.THANK YOU TO JASON TOO.I REALLY YOUR SHOW VERY MUCH AND I LISTEN ALMOST EVERY DAY. D

Avatar
#67 Jonathan Willis
March 02 2009, 10:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ THEBIGD:

Any chance you could turn your caps locks off in future?

Avatar
#68 APE - FMNF
March 02 2009, 11:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

THEBIGD wrote:

WE HAVE GIVE HIM SO MANY PLAYERS TO TRY TO PLAY WITH HIM.BUT NO MATTER WHO PLAYS ON HIS LINE IT’S NOT GETTING BETTER. SO I BELIEVE, THAT MAYBE IT’S ALES THAT IS THE PROBLEM

You can't be serious? Because of that question I will most likely never read another one of your posts again. Hemsky is not the problem.

Avatar
#69 APE - FMNF
March 02 2009, 11:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Jonathan Willis wrote:

@ APE - FMNF: Belive me, I’m a big believer in Sam Gagner’s upside as an NHL player. I’m not sure if he’ll turn out to be excellent or just good, but I wouldn’t expect him to handle tough matchups at his age; very few players do. It will come.

I agree 100%.

Avatar
#70 Jason Gregor
March 02 2009, 11:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Dennis wrote:

To close, the whole idea of report cards are archaic. These days it’s about budget and cap and it’s easier to make these judgments because salaries are common knowledge.

If it is so archaic, why bother reading and posting about it. If you don't believe in it, then why worry about it.

Avatar
#71 Dennis
March 02 2009, 11:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Gregor: Well, Someone had to point it out!:)

Seriously, though, it's all about who's being paid and what they can or are doing.

Avatar
#72 Jonathan Willis
March 03 2009, 07:26AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

APE - FMNF wrote:

You can’t be serious? Because of that question I will most likely never read another one of your posts again. Hemsky is not the problem.

Well, he has a point, APE. Why just this season, not only as Hemsky played with Horcoff and Penner, but also (at least briefly):

1. Gritty power forward Erik Cole 2. The talented and consistent Robert Nilsson 3. Gritty power forward Ethan Moreau 4. Promising youngster Liam Reddox 5. Noted scoring ace Andrew Cogliano 6. Savvy playmaker Sam Gagner

If that isn't a list of players that make you better, I don't know what is ;)

Avatar
#73 APE - FMNF
March 03 2009, 08:06AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I almost thought you were serious there..just for a second.

Avatar
#74 Rick
March 03 2009, 08:54AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Dennis wrote:

Seriously, though, it’s all about who’s being paid and what they can or are doing.

That sure seems like a strange position for someone who is such a staunch supporter of Horcoff.

Avatar
#75 Doogie2K
March 03 2009, 01:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

namflashback wrote:

Something curious about Horcoff – - last year, before his torn labrum he was shooting accurately and often, but his faceoff %tge was down - this year, he takes more faceoffs than any center in the league, is up on his %tge Anyone connected know if he switched sticks in order to be stronger on the dot? Remember when Sykora was here? His whippy sticks would often break because of the beating it was taking when he played center for a stretch of games. Stoll is exceptional on the faceoff date, but how often did we see his stick break?

One of my biomechanics professors did some testing of composite sticks a few years ago and found that slap shots and face-offs tend to weaken the sticks. While they're nice and whippy to get that extra bit of velocity, especially on wrist shots, the trade-off is that they're much more brittle and don't hold up well to impact from other sticks or being battered against the ice during a slap shot.

Their results were summarily ignored, thanks in part to the lockout giving the NHL other things to think about. Things aren't as bad as they were a few years ago, so maybe the stick companies are working on it, but there's still a lot of sticks breaking on innocent plays.

Avatar
#76 Dennis
March 03 2009, 02:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Rick: No, money is one of the reasons why I support that guy. he does all the heavy lifting and maybe next year he starts being overpaid but he isn't this year.

Avatar
#77 THEBIGD
March 04 2009, 01:50AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Jonathan Willis: For sure sorry about that my eye site is not the best.But I will try my best my friend.I know I upset some people with my post but this is what I believe is the problem? I may be wrong but like everyone else we all have a opinion or this site would be boring if we all agreed on everything. This is the reason I like this site as it's fun and I enjoy reading the posting from everyone. So we don't need to rude to each other lets enjoy hearing from us fans as well. We will see if there are any changes to this team today. I hope we don't give up on a lot of players because they are having a off year.As the time to get better is done over the off season.This way we can decide who to keep or trade or let go. I hope to God someone would take Penner but it will be hard to dump his salary.Have a great day everyone D

Comments are closed for this article.