Around the Blogosphere: Where Every Word Is Its Own Sentence

Jonathan Willis
March 22 2009 10:21AM

william-shatner-stanley-cup

Today being March 22, it is of course the birthday of William Shatner. This really doesn’t have anything to do with hockey; despite Shatner’s origins in Montreal, I haven’t been able to find an instance where he acknowledged himself as a hockey fan. On the other hand, there is that picture of him with the Stanley Cup from Boston Legal, and there is this rather bizarre online petition requesting that the Montreal Canadiens hire him to sing the National Anthem before a hockey game. I call the petition bizarre because (with all due respect to Has Been) Shatner’s musical career hasn’t been particularly notable. In any case, this entire opening has been a digression, so let’s take a look at what’s happened on the blogs over the last couple of days:

-Have you ever experience schadenfreude, where you feel delight at the suffering of others? If you haven’t, or even if you just enjoy the feeling this recap of Calgary Flames playoff defeats is a must-watch.

-Scott Howson, Kevin Lowe’s former assistant here in Edmonton, has been making great progress in Columbus. To quote him: “I’ve always believed in making methodical step. I just don’t believe you can expect to hit the home run deals that everybody dreams about.” With the Oilers’ fixation on Hossa and Jagr the last year and a half or so, it’s nice to hear someone interested in methodical gains.

-Lowetide continues his strong work, evaluating possible Oilers’ 2009 selection Scott Glennie and putting up a tribute to former Oiler Walt Poddubny who died over the weekend.

- Dean Millard has a nice summary of what’s happened in Springfield since Daum took over as coach. My only quibble with this excellent article is that it doesn’t note how Dubnyk has struggled the last little while.

-Andrew Cogliano has been a disaster for two years in the faceoff circle. How much of a disaster, you ask? According to the Church of Kurri, he’s on pace to be the worst faceoff man in the NHL since 2000.

-In the face of serious family problems, an 8-1 win over Colorado can provide a moment of escape. Best wishes to your dad, BDHS.

-How closely does the current Oilers’ coach resemble a Chinese communist dictator? Find out at Bringing Back the Glory.

-A summary of scoring chances for this last stretch of games.

-In closing, I’ve been busy at my other site, writing about the difficulties that Europeans face in NHL coaching/management, and taking a look at the fading fortune of the Dallas Stars.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#1 alphah
March 22 2009, 12:46PM

Jonathan Willis you are one of the top journalists writing about this game and you give it all away for free on the internets... what does the future hold? If you had some connections in "da biz" you would be an unstoppable force of the journalistic nature. You are incredibly prolific for a guy who writes all-meat and no-potatoes kind of articles. Regardless of whatever sort of credentials you may or may not possess you'd think that with the body of quality work you have produced your services would be in demand somewhere in a professional environment.

So, when are you going to move up, on and out?

#2 Jonathan Willis
March 22 2009, 12:56PM

@ alphah:

I think you rather overestimate my abilities, and thanks for that, btw ;). I just enjoy writing and hockey, and I'll take what comes.

#3 Greg MC
March 22 2009, 01:18PM

@ Jonathan Willis: The quality and volume of your writing is amazing to me. You have serious talent imo.

#4 Poo Czar
March 23 2009, 08:12AM

Agreed on all the Willis love. I can barely READ all his stuff and comprehend it, imagine the time it must take to write. The crap I've learned about hockey from guys like Willis and Lowetide in the past year blows my freaking mind. Kudos, Willis!

Also, Shatner's cover of "Common People" with Joe Jackson is stunningly good. Check it out.

#5 Jonathan Willis
March 23 2009, 08:36AM

@ Poo Czar:

You thought so? I wasn't a fan. I actually enjoyed "Has Been", though.

I recall an ad for a Shatner/Nimoy compilation album maybe ten years back (the ad actually said: "This is NOT a joke") and Nimoy had a decent cover of "I Walk the Line", but I never could figure out what drove those two to try singing.

I suppose if the money's high enough, it's worth a little embarrasment.

#6 Poo Czar
March 23 2009, 09:11AM

@ Jonathan Willis: A buddy snuck "Common People" and "I'm Real" onto a mix disc a few years back, and it took a few listens to get over the sheer novelty, but yeah, that one stuck. That weird herky-jerky delivery mixed with Joe Jacksons straight ahead rocking just worked for me.

I was also at a Henry Rollins spoken workd show a few years back when he described how he got roped into collaborating with Shatner and Ben Folds for that album. Weird, but funny.

Now I'll have to dee if George Takei has a cover album of Run-DMC or something.

#7 Wanye Gretz
March 23 2009, 09:26AM

I totally agree with all these commenters that you rock and should immediately look for better employment.

Hey wait a minute .....