GDB 72: Tomo Arigato, Minnesota Wild

bingofuel
March 22 2009 10:22AM

tomo_arigato

I probably should have posted this sooner, but I've had a hangover since Friday. Can you believe these Oilers? First they hand the Colorado Avalanche their collective behinds on Thursday, and then they sneak past the Blackhawks on Friday -- the same day as a Night with the Nation, no less -- for a shootout win. Imagine, if you will, my mouth stuffed with spicy chicken wings as we take our second shot in the shootout: chicken wings spat everywhere as I dump a half-drunk beer over Wanye's dome. Now imagine me being shown the door, as Wanye shouts behind me, "That man is not affiliated with OilersNation."

Just another Friday night, really.

Anyway, this is what it feels like to be optimistic again! This is the madness of the Oilers rollercoaster. Don't get me wrong, I'm still on the FMNF bandwagon. Any coach whose been in the same job for as long as MacT has and has been as, ahem, "successful" as him has certainly overstayed his welcome. But we can worry about all that when the season's done. And I'm not saying any Oilers will be hoisting Lord Stanley's Cup any time soon, but I'm an Oilers fan -- I'm deluded and happy to picture that in my head no matter how much of a longshot it is.

So, we end a three-game roadtrip today. We're ahead of the Wild, and behind Columbus. We sit at seventh. As of right now, we're in the playoffs. Our boys are still making mistakes, but they're also earning points.

Tomo -- a Friend of the Nation

tomo_arigato_2

You're probably wondering about the photo up top there. That there is a young man from Japan named Tomo. He was in Edmonton on an exchange, and his sponsor family wanted to make sure he got to see a for-real NHL game before he headed back home last week. So the Splendid Mr Gregor went out and found young Tomo a pair of tickets. His sponsor family made sure he went to the game in Oilers threads.

This young Japanese boy -- now an honourary Canadian -- had a great time, despite the fact that he isn't old enough to drink beer.

Hope you had a safe trip home, Tomo. Keep the spirit of the Oil alive in Japan! Arigato!

A prediction for today's score

It's a lazy Sunday, and optimism abounds. Today the Oil will earn another win as the take the Wild down 3-1. Mark my words. None of the overtime/shootout stuff. Just a normal, regulation game.

*Squeeeeeeeeeee!*

243fa199ff6efc362bf29a17e950b47e
Bingofuel is the handsome cyborg who pulls all the levers behind the curtains of the OilersNation. When he isn't running the site, he's plugged into a wall socket, recharging. Or Brownlee and Wanye are playing "keep away" with him. He gets little to no respect.
#1 Loki
March 22 2009, 11:08AM

Ew 1 PM Start, 3 games in 60 hours? Strap this team to Roli's back until the trainers tell him he is hurt :)

Prediction 4-2 Good guys, Souray pots another, Gagner looks confused, and Nilssons been too useful lately- gets sit on the bench for the third.

Do we see MacIntyre today against the Boogeyman, with Reddox getting the headshot last game?

#2 Poo Czar
March 22 2009, 11:11AM

I love the Bipolar swings of Oilers Fandom.

WE'RE GONNA WIN THE EFFING NORTHWEST! THEN THE CUP!!!

Unless we lose this game of course. Then we're totally screwed...

#3 エルドン
March 22 2009, 11:24AM

ともありがとう! すごいね!

#4 Milli
March 22 2009, 11:24AM

ya, 5 - 2 oil, they are always good in nooners...

#5 Jon K
March 22 2009, 11:48AM

It's domo, not tomo. There should be the " marker on the first "to" character.

#6 Poo Czar
March 22 2009, 11:52AM

エルドン wrote:

ともありがとう! すごいね!

Well done, Sir.

#7 OilersNinja
March 22 2009, 12:33PM

Yawn, man I am hungover and hate sunday matinees.

Go OIL!!!

#8 OilersNinja
March 22 2009, 12:38PM

Damit, Gaborik is making his return...How convenient

#9 Amber McCormick
March 22 2009, 12:39PM

Jon K wrote:

It’s domo, not tomo. There should be the ” marker on the first “to” character.

Jon, I do believe that Mr. Bingofuel was making a punny little joke in regards to the our new Japanese fan. Did you read the article or go straight for the comments? Reading and comprehension is a dying art in our society.

#10 Rusty Shackleford
March 22 2009, 12:53PM

GAME DAY!!!

*places a quarter in an envelope and mails it to Smokin' Ray*

Who Saw This Comin.... *then realizes I've spent my allowance for the day* (Sorry Towel Boy)

#11 jeanshorts
March 22 2009, 01:21PM

Where the hell is everyone? I know it's an afternoon game, but, come on. I don't buy for one second that any of you are at church.

#12 Rusty Shackleford
March 22 2009, 01:25PM

If I still had my quarter left, I would bet there must have been multiple arrests for lewd conduct at the ON party?

#13 Phil
March 22 2009, 01:27PM

God bless you Tomo.

#14 Rusty Shackleford
March 22 2009, 01:36PM

COMMMMMMMMMME ON... they can't both be on the ice and just "have words". Boogie must be scared... I really hope that tilt goes down today.

#15 jeanshorts
March 22 2009, 01:36PM

Ah Tom Gilbert. Ya old softy!

SQWEEEEE!

#16 Phil
March 22 2009, 01:38PM

The boys are ROLLING today, what in the f*ck has gotten into these guys?! Who is this team?

#17 jeanshorts
March 22 2009, 01:42PM

*Passes out trying to figure out what "Edmonton Out shooting" means*

#18 Rusty Shackleford
March 22 2009, 01:42PM

15-1 we're outshooting a team? Hopefully those missed chances don't come back to bite us, but that was one hell of a road period.

#19 Phil
March 22 2009, 01:54PM

lulz

#20 roughneck
March 22 2009, 02:01PM

maybe no more breaks between periods.

#21 Rusty Shackleford
March 22 2009, 02:02PM

Porkchop may want to rethink sending Chopper into that deathtrap. Just dump the puck in the corner big guy.

#22 Phil
March 22 2009, 02:06PM

And the tides turn.

#23 Rusty Shackleford
March 22 2009, 02:25PM

*Finds a lucky quarter under the couch, places in envelope and mails it to Towel Boy*

I saw that sh*t coming...

#24 Colin
March 22 2009, 02:25PM

Well of course the Oil can't win 4 in a row...

#25 jeanshorts
March 22 2009, 02:35PM

WAH THAT WAS WAY TOO CLOSE! DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!

*shakes fist at hangover headache*

#26 Rusty Shackleford
March 22 2009, 02:55PM

That was the best 1-2 shot I've seen in a while on the TV... Talking about MacIntyre visiting the Hockey Hall of Fame (while he's blowing one hell of a snot-rocket on the bench)... Then showing a random Oiler fan in the crowd (while the fan is letting off a vicious 4 second yawn).

Sums up the 2nd period.

#27 Rusty Shackleford
March 22 2009, 02:59PM

yikes

#28 David S
March 22 2009, 03:05PM

Not much left in the tank. Looks like the plan was to go nuts out in the first and try to eek out a win by riding it out. Oh well. 2 for three isn't too shabby.

#29 Rusty Shackleford
March 22 2009, 03:17PM

Gags keeps his goal steak going...

#30 Rusty Shackleford
March 22 2009, 03:17PM

streak*

#31 Rusty Shackleford
March 22 2009, 03:21PM

Put MacIntyre on Just Cuz? I think so.

#32 David S
March 22 2009, 03:24PM

After last night, I could use a nice juicy goal steak.

#33 albundy
March 22 2009, 03:28PM

Boys, off game for the Oilers. Can anyone answer my why he is double shifting Chopper? I realize he doesn't want to play McIntrye but why not double shift someone who may score? Just a question for discussion

#34 David S
March 22 2009, 03:34PM

albundy wrote:

Boys, off game for the Oilers. Can anyone answer my why he is double shifting Chopper? I realize he doesn’t want to play McIntrye but why not double shift someone who may score? Just a question for discussion

My guess is the entire team is burnt out. Tom Gilbert sure is. If you have to run a guy into the ground, better chopper than somebody we might actually need for next game (Detroit).

Nice job once again by the NHL scheduling department.

#35 Milli
March 22 2009, 03:42PM

ya, ya gotta know when you outshoot a team 16 - 2 in the first, and get zipo....usually means trouble....and it did. Man, they had so much jump in the first.....

#36 Chris
March 22 2009, 05:26PM

David S wrote:

Nice job once again by the NHL scheduling department.

Props to the Oilers. Team is finally playing well. The boys really needed a bounce to go their way in the first... all those quality looks, and no love from the Hockey Gods... Had to be deflating; after playing soooo much hockey in soooo few hours... And in that F#ing Excel Energy Center... I HATE EVERY BRICK IN THAT BUILDING!!!

#37 Jon K
March 22 2009, 05:57PM

I will admit I did not read the article. The first things I read are the headline and author for anything posted on this site. If it's not Brownlee, Gregor, or Willis I fast forward.

Not trying to be an ass, just the truth. Sorry.

#38 kingsblade
March 22 2009, 06:52PM

@ Jon K:

No, you are very specifically trying to be an ass. There was no reason to even bother posting otherwise. Someone only interested in telling the truth doesn't go out of their way to post an irrelevant comment.

#39 Jason Gregor
March 22 2009, 07:01PM

Jon K wrote:

f it’s not Brownlee, Gregor, or Willis I fast forward.

I suggest you read Miss McCormick because sometimes she hints at which bar she will be frequenting later that evening, and what guy is her type.

Wanye and Bingofuel will teach you about magical, unsolved mysteries of the world, while tossing in some comedic commentary to brighten up your day. Really if you don't read those two you are hurting yourself. I suggest not only reading their next posts, but reading it twice just so you can soak it all in. And they come up with some great pictures.

**smiles at the $20 bills they each gave me to write this. Not McCormick though, just the guys. She only carries 100's, which is strange, and I didn't have enough change to break it.

#40 BitchBoy
March 22 2009, 08:26PM

we gotta hang this loss on somebody. So F**K you TOMO!

#41 Jon K
March 22 2009, 08:43PM

@ kingsblade:

I was replying to a prior message. I thought that would be sufficient reason enough to post. Beyond that, I provided no value judgment for my selective readings, merely an explanation. The site's doing very well so I'm sure that some of the frequent posters I don't read (Wanye) must be doing a very good job, but they're just not the reason I come by.

Although I do appreciate the irony of your comment, which has no purpose other than to try and put me in my place.

#42 deepoil
March 22 2009, 09:13PM

I am very glad that the oil are sliding into failure.... the universe is now equsl.... oilers now miss the plyaoffs by one point - even Mckesson cannot buy a win.... heh heh heh....sorry dark knight your request for a clothing discount on 23 avenue and 142 street is a canary in a cold mine that you are totally mortgaged

#43 deepoil
March 22 2009, 09:17PM

The weather is 80F with paradise in neuvo - wish you were not here...... the peace is so quiet without Allan Watt and P Laforge..... lovin it - note to Mct - that Steve's BBQ ribs in MINNY does take out....... just to let you know that life goes on without a 9th place team.... spending my season ticket money in better places.... ya h baby....... too bad I never worked for the oil - therefore I am not under their mind control

#44 David S
March 23 2009, 08:25AM

deepoil wrote:

I am very glad that the oil are sliding into failure…. the universe is now equsl…. oilers now miss the plyaoffs by one point - even Mckesson cannot buy a win…. heh heh heh….sorry dark knight your request for a clothing discount on 23 avenue and 142 street is a canary in a cold mine that you are totally mortgaged

They're in 7th right now and only an idiot pays full rack for anything these days. Your medication must keep you pretty out of touch with reality. Rexall reminder - read a newspaper.

#45 Fiveandagame
March 23 2009, 10:05AM

Eberle was just signed to a 3 year entry level contract.

#46 I'm a Scientist!
March 23 2009, 10:06AM

David S wrote:

Rexall reminder - read a newspaper.

HA!

#47 Oilersordeath
March 23 2009, 10:06AM

Leave to the Wild to completely ruin a good hockey game with that blue line stack or whatever the hell kind of style that was they were playing. Shit if we could of had 1 or 2 go in the net early its a different game. What a boring team!

#48 Mike Krushelnyski
March 23 2009, 10:44AM

David S wrote:

They’re in 7th right now and only an idiot pays full rack for anything these days. Your medication must keep you pretty out of touch with reality. Rexall reminder - read a newspaper.

While you guys have been ripping Deep Oil, I've been reading every third word in his posts for the last month, and as expected they have revealed the location of El Dorado - the Lost City of Gold. See ya later, suckers. I'm off to strike it rich.

D.O. - Meet me at the place at the agreed upon time and bring 2 stout burros. Our days of hardship are over my friend.