Waiver Wire Players (Updated)

Jonathan Willis
March 03 2009 11:25AM

Miro Satan

All sorts of players have hit the waiver wire this morning, including some high profile types. Let’s go through the list (as per TSN).

Miroslav Satan

Contract: $3.5 million for this season, pending UFA Current Season Stats: 64GP – 17G – 19A – 36PTS, +3 Advanced Stats: QC-5th, QT-8th, Corsi/60-6th, PTS/60- 1.74

This is a little bizarre, and given that Satan’s contract is expiring I imagine that he’ll be claimed (possibly even by the Oilers). He’s fallen a long ways from his pre-lockout heyday, but he’s still been a decent scorer in Pittsburgh this season, and he isn’t getting lit up against top opponents. The only way I can see this deal making sense for Pittsburgh is if they have an impact player coming in and need to clear salary.

UPDATED: According to Matheson, the Oilers have no interest in Miroslav Satan.  Matheson says it's unlikely that any team is willing to pay him the 900K remaining on his contract given his meager 17 goal output this season.  Matheson's obviously very connected, so there's little doubt that he's right about the Oilers, but I think there must be a team with interest - after all, Bill Guerin has teams chasing him despite his very similar production.

Brendan Morrison

Contract: $2.75 million for this season, pending UFA Current Season Stats: 61GP – 10G – 12A – 22PTS, EV Advanced Stats: QC-10th, QT-7th, Corsi/60-7th, PTS/60- 1.37

It’s been an awful season for Morrison. He’s hovered between 50 and 70 points since 2000, and he’s dropped off the face of the Earth offensively this season. His even-strength production is only down a middle, but Morrison’s powerplay production (he was once a specialist with the man advantage) has disappeared this year. I don’t think it’s farfetched that he could rebound, and he may be of use to a team that misses out on their desired target at the deadline. Presumably the Ducks are clearing cap space for a trade.

Gary Roberts

Contract: $2.4 million for this season, pending UFA Current Season Stats: 30GP – 4G – 3A – 7PTS, -11 Advanced Stats: QC-10th, QT-13th, Corsi/60-13th, PTS/60- 0.63

I could see Roberts being of interest to a team looking for some veteran savvy, but the fact of the matter is that he’s had a miserable season. He’s been a 4th-liner and he’s getting heavily outscored; there were rumours that the Flames might like to see him join them for a playoff run. Still, I’d imagine whoever picks him up will want to send some salary the other way.

Other players on waivers include Martin Gerber, Aaron Voros, Erik Reitz, Brendan Bell, Eric Perrin, Craig Adams, and Jon Sim. Beyond Voros, I have trouble seeing any of those players being of much interest.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#1 Rick
March 03 2009, 12:15PM

I like the quote from Lombardi in the Matheson article when he was asked about moving Frolov for Staal.

Although unless there was more to the quote I don't quite get why Matheson would suggest that because Lombardi said the Penguins aren't moving Staal that it means Lombardi isn't willing to move Frolov.

#2 CurtisS
March 03 2009, 11:34AM

Ill add on

Aaron Voros Tom Preissing Brendan Bell Jon Sim Eric Perrin Craig Adams Peter Olvecky Erik Reitz Joe Callahan Steven Goertzen Bill Thomas

#3 OvenChicken8
March 03 2009, 11:35AM

Satan-Horcoff-Hemsky... Interesting enough but if a guy can't really produce while playing with Crosby or Malkin I don't know if he will do any better here.

#4 Rick
March 03 2009, 11:36AM

Almost as interesting as the guys you highlighted are a couple of the teams that are putting guys on waivers.

Atlanta and the Islanders clearing roster spots is interesting because neither of them have cap issues or are moving big tickets for budget reasons.

Both teams are often mentioned as teams that will move pending UFA's and those generally only bring in picks.

It makes a guy wonder if they are sniffing around some deals that will see them move quality for quantity.

#5 Jonathan Willis
March 03 2009, 11:36AM

@ CurtisS:

I got all those guys except Olvecky, Callahan, Goertzen and Thomas. Last paragraph.

I'm not going indepth on any of them; it'll take too bloody long when the reality is that they're fringe guys.

#6 Jonathan Willis
March 03 2009, 11:37AM

@ Rick:

That's a really nice point. I'd assumed they were just trying to clear some salary, but you could be on to something there.

As an aside: how much value does Bill Guerin have with Miro Satan on waivers?

#7 Jonathan Willis
March 03 2009, 11:38AM

OvenChicken8 wrote:

Satan-Horcoff-Hemsky… Interesting enough but if a guy can’t really produce while playing with Crosby or Malkin I don’t know if he will do any better here.

Satan produced okay (not great but okay) which is why this waiving is so strange. I think Pittsburgh's bringing in a big name.

#8 Mike Krushelnyski
March 03 2009, 11:41AM

Jonathan Willis wrote:

As an aside: how much value does Bill Guerin have with Miro Satan on waivers?

How much value does Erik Cole have with Satan on waivers?

#9 OvenChicken8
March 03 2009, 11:41AM

@ Jonathan Willis: That was my first thought, clear enough room to bring in a winger for Crosby.

#10 Peter Pan
March 03 2009, 11:43AM

We missed out on Avery

#11 Jonathan Willis
March 03 2009, 11:44AM

Mike Krushelnyski wrote:

Jonathan Willis wrote: As an aside: how much value does Bill Guerin have with Miro Satan on waivers? How much value does Erik Cole have with Satan on waivers?

Erg.

#12 Jonathan Willis
March 03 2009, 11:45AM

Mike Krushelnyski wrote:

How much value does Erik Cole have with Satan on waivers?

Although in fairness, Cole's having a better overall season than Guerin.

It's a valid point, though.

#13 The Towel Boy
March 03 2009, 11:46AM

All this waivering is making my head hurt.

#14 rpk
March 03 2009, 11:49AM

We ought to grad Satan pronto, a well placed bet in my opinion as a relatively cheap solution to the LW.

maybe we can get Penner traded for a bag o pucks, pick up Satan for the home stretch, then deal with it in the off season...

#15 Jonathan Willis
March 03 2009, 11:52AM

BTW, Matheson said this morning that the Oilers may be looking at Recchi, St. Louis or Frolov. My thoughts here.

#16 OvenChicken8
March 03 2009, 11:59AM

What would we have to give up to get St. Louis?

#17 APE - FMNF
March 03 2009, 12:00PM

I'll puke if they sign Recchi. NO MORE BAND-AID solutions please.

#18 BURKEtheTURD
March 03 2009, 12:04PM

Jonathan Willis wrote:

Alexander Frolov would be the ideal addition to this hockey club. Which likely means that tomorrow Steve Tambellini will send Robert Nilsson and a 2nd round pick to Tampa Bay for Mark Recchi.

So so true...

#19 CurtisS
March 03 2009, 12:07PM

Frolov rumours can stop

#20 MacTavish
March 03 2009, 12:11PM

Why go after Frolov? Reddox fits in nicely on that L.W. slot? It's all about what you give up vs what you gennerate... Isn't it our aim to win every game 2-1 with one powerplay marker?

#21 Jonathan Willis
March 03 2009, 12:18PM

Rick wrote:

I was wondering the same thing. Supposedly, Lombardi's looking to upgrade at 1st Line LW, but I imagine he'd have to think hard if the Oilers offered someone like Cogliano.

I've got mixed feelings about such an offer, but it's certainly within the realm of possibility.

#22 jeanshorts
March 03 2009, 12:25PM

BURKEtheTURD wrote:

hahaaha yes!

#23 swany
March 03 2009, 12:25PM

Jonathan Willis wrote:

Rick wrote: I don’t quite get why Matheson would suggest that because Lombardi said the Penguins aren’t moving Staal that it means Lombardi isn’t willing to move Frolov. I was wondering the same thing. Supposedly, Lombardi’s looking to upgrade at 1st Line LW, but I imagine he’d have to think hard if the Oilers offered someone like Cogliano. I’ve got mixed feelings about such an offer, but it’s certainly within the realm of possibility.

You think that if they wouldn't trade Cogs for Olli in the summer I doubt they trade him now. From Tencer

#24 Jonathan Willis
March 03 2009, 12:32PM

swany wrote:

But you're probably right.

#25 Mike Krushelnyski
March 03 2009, 12:36PM

Jonathan Willis wrote:

Is Frolov RFA or UFA after next year? If he's a RFA I would definitely package up Cogliano to get him. I like Cogs but we have other similar players, Frolov brings a whole other dimension.

#26 shakey
March 03 2009, 12:40PM

Didn't one of the yahoos on Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday say the Oilers asked TB about St. Louis and they told them outright they weren't trading him? I think this is what I heard but I could be wrong.

#27 swany
March 03 2009, 12:42PM

Mike Krushelnyski wrote:

Jonathan Willis wrote: swany wrote: You think that if they wouldn’t trade Cogs for Olli in the summer I doubt they trade him now. From Tencer Alexander Frolov is four years younger than Jokinen, cheaper and a more complete player. On top of that, he fits the team needs better. But you’re probably right. Is Frolov RFA or UFA after next year? If he’s a RFA I would definitely package up Cogliano to get him. I like Cogs but we have other similar players, Frolov brings a whole other dimension.

I like Frolov but he is another RW don't we want someone to play with Hemmer in this case Frolov would be in Coles spot, we've tried the RW in the LW already remember Cole .

#28 knobert
March 03 2009, 12:44PM

what about grabbing Morrison to help with the powereplay and third line centre?

#29 Mike Krushelnyski
March 03 2009, 12:45PM

@ swany:

Frolov is a LW

#30 Kyle S
March 03 2009, 12:45PM

@ Mike Krushelnyski:

Frolov is UFA after next year.

#31 Chris
March 03 2009, 12:47PM

Frolov is a natural left winger. He would lead this team in scoring. He is also under contract next season for a 2.9 million cap hit. It fits. It probably won't happen... Although, Lowe has an excellent relationship with Lombardi.

#32 Rick
March 03 2009, 12:48PM

swany wrote:

#33 Mike Krushelnyski
March 03 2009, 12:52PM

@ Kyle S:

Hmm that changes things a bit but it might still be worth it. As Rick says, on paper he seems like he would eb a perfect fit with Hemsky and if he puts up a career year he would likely resign. Then again, if he decides to bail once he's a UFA it might not be a great move to give up a young guy like Cogliano + picks/whatever to get him for 100 games. Frolov would be a huge addition but I don't know if he makes the Oilers a contender as early as next year.

#34 OvenChicken8
March 03 2009, 12:54PM

If LA took Cogs + Penner we could use that cap space to resign Frolov... but who am I kidding.

#35 Malc
March 03 2009, 12:55PM

Frolov is a LW and he would be gold for this team. I can't see him being moved though without seriously getting something big in return. Not only is he young and a great player, but his cap hit next year is a steal. I am inclined to think that that makes him much more valuable to the Kings.

I really don't think we have the players to make such a transaction possible. It would be a shame to see Gilbert go, but I believe Lowe had said in the summer or at the beginning of the year that there were three oilers who were untouchable - Gilbert, Gagner, and Hemsky. I know that means nothing, but seriously, what could we give to make it happen with a club like LA?

#36 Loki
March 03 2009, 12:56PM

I'd be happy seeing us move any 2 of the kids (if 1 is Nilsson), and even a little more non-playing assets if need be to aquire Frolov. He is young, used to the Western Conference, and a natural LW. A poor man's Kovalchuk.

Barring that I would say we issue claim for Miro Satan and hope no lower placed team snaps him up.

#37 Chris
March 03 2009, 12:56PM

@ Mike Krushelnyski: With what we have been drafting; combined with current contract obligations, and a shrinking cap: The Oilers aren't "contenders" anytime soon. Frolov would look great with Hemsky. Frolov is the most natural fit of any of the rumored players. 6'2", fast, with a good shot and a friend on the roster. Perfect.

#38 Reggie
March 03 2009, 01:01PM

knobert wrote:

what about grabbing Morrison to help with the powereplay and third line centre?

Morrison is done. There's nothing left in his tank.

#39 APE - FMNF
March 03 2009, 01:07PM

The more I read about Frolov the more I am liking this idea... please hockey gods.... please!

#40 Cheezyclips
March 03 2009, 01:10PM

we should grab morrison and satan

package some of these guys in a trade: horcoff(great player but at 7mil toooo much),cole,Robert Nilsson and useless penner ,shremp add some draft picks(we know our draft picks are garbage just look at last 5 years...anyone good came out out of our system? anyone?? lol)

try to get Ilya Kovalchuk(7.5 mil),Jason Spezza(8 mil till 2013,rather pay 8 for him than horcoff 7),St. Louis Martin(4mil good value09/10 salary) or Jokinen, Olli (5.5 mil not bad 09/10 salary)

LETS GET IT DONE!!!!!!!

#41 Mike Krushelnyski
March 03 2009, 01:15PM

@ Cheezyclips:

Nilsson and Penner for Kovalchuk (e4)!!

#42 swany
March 03 2009, 01:17PM

Rick wrote:

swany wrote: I like Frolov but he is another RW don’t we want someone to play with Hemmer in this case Frolov would be in Coles spot, we’ve tried the RW in the LW already remember Cole . As already mentioned he is a LW but the beauty of it all is that he is a right hand shot playing LW. A right hand shot on the off wing is the best kind of line mate for Hemsky.

Not according to the Kings site he is a RW

#43 Chris
March 03 2009, 01:17PM

@ APE - FMNF: Yeah. Me to! I don't see a single top six forward in our system. Frolov buy Tambellini time to sort out this mess he's inherited. If Tambellini needs to move Cogliano to obtain Frolov: So be it. If Eberle develops nicely the Oilers will need to move either Gagner or Cogliano anyway...

#44 Loki
March 03 2009, 01:20PM

@ swany: Ya, Oilers site lists Erik Cole as a LW. Doesn't make it at all true =)

#45 Kyle S
March 03 2009, 01:20PM

@ Cheezyclips:

Kovie and Spezza are not coming here. At least not this season.

St. Louis is a RW is he not? So he would just take Cole's spot? Or should we give him the normal treatment and put him on the other wing?

I'd definitely like to see Frolov though.

#46 Colin
March 03 2009, 01:21PM

#47 swany
March 03 2009, 01:23PM

Loki wrote:

@ swany: Ya, Oilers site lists Erik Cole as a LW. Doesn’t make it at all true =)

So where does he play, maybe he can play both sides find me a link to where he has played LW before, and if he is a true LW why would he play RW in LA Cole told everyone he was more comfortable at RW and he played RW for the Canes.

#48 Mike Krushelnyski
March 03 2009, 01:32PM

Colin wrote:

Maybe it's Cogs + Gilbert

#49 Ted L
March 03 2009, 01:39PM

One thing that strikes me about this list is that all the players are old with diminishing numbers who have priced themselves off the market with contracts that have little value.

If Satan is being waived, I wonder if we could do the same with Penner or Neilson. Would anyone pick them up? ship them both off to Springfield for a few weeks to find some motivation in their game and play the guys who put in the effort night after night.

#50 Kyle S
March 03 2009, 01:40PM

Mike Krushelnyski wrote:

Colin wrote: If gilbert or cogs plus prospect was enough to pry frolov loose I think that deal would be inked already. Maybe it’s Cogs + Gilbert

I don't think Cogs would be involved. They already have too many centres locked in long term (Kopitar, Handzus and Stoll) and I thought Cogs was ineffective everywhere but centre.

The only way Cogs goes is if we are taking a centre back...Stoll maybe? I'd welcome him back with his faceoff and PK skills.

It would more likely be Nilsson + Gilbert + prospect.