Thanks for nothing

Wanye
March 30 2009 09:47AM

fmnf

It took us 76 games, a hundred odd posts and a hojillion comments defending this team but it has finally happened. We have officially had enough of this shitanusly mediocre 2008-2009 Edmonton Oilers hockey squadron. Don't get us wrong. We sit firmly planted on the Oilers bandwagon. It's just that none of the players seem interested in driving us anywhere.

When the fans are more jacked up for the game than the players are – something is wrong.

We for one pity the poor old OilersNation, sitting there in the stands at RX1 and at home wanting something - anything - to cheer for. At a time when lots of folks are worried about losing their job, making rent and generally just getting by RX1 continues to sell out night after night. Once upon a time, there are a good many folk who were ballin’ out of control with Oil comfortably over $100 per barrel. Now, not so much. Yet these same folk continue to shoulder the bulk of the ticket buying load, making a conscious decision to continue to spend hundreds of their hard earned dollars on "Oilers hockey" game after terrible game. There they were again last night, filling the arena to high in the rafters and even patiently standing on those little standing room only squares. Honest, hard working blue collar folk who continue to arrive in droves despite the absolute and total lack of commitment and desire to win on the ice that awaits them. And did they boo this awful bunch of cheque collecting, merlot drinking sissies? No. They sat glued to their seats hoping one of the players in Copper and Blue might find something resembling a beating heart late in the third period and step up to the plate.

In times like these it’s staggering to realize that most people inside Rexall probably worked harder to get into the game than the bulk of the Oilers did during the game.

When your 46 year old goalie is starting his 98th game in a row – something is wrong.

When we saw Roloson face the media, tired as all hell, older than all hell, sweaty as all hell and having done all he could and yet taking the blame for the loss something inside us snapped. Are you kidding us Oilers? How in the sweet holy fuck can any of you sit around in the dressing room and see the old man in the corner who is absolutely busting his nuts and not feel guilty about the level to which you mail it in night after night? We can’t help but feel terrible for Roloson at this stage of the game. So you let in a couple of floaters early on Roli. Who gives a shit? See the other guys sitting there on the bench wearing the same jersey as you? Those idiots are supposed to do more than come down and give you a supportive whack on the pads after they have collapsed yet again. They are supposed to go down into the opposition’s end and score a few of their own and bail you out.

Nothing here is your fault Sir. We salute your efforts. You are an absolute warrior and if we have ever chirped you on this site we humbly apologize. The rest of you Oilers? Whatever.

When you need a leader to step up and pop in a late goal and nothing arrives – something is wrong.

Where in the fuck was anything resembling a leader with the season hanging in the balance? Where was a single one of these overpriced boneheads when it counted? Nowhere, that’s where and it breaks our fucking heart to see this team mail it in night after night. What the hell is Kay-Z paying for here exactly? The cheques that you deposit with charming regularity are real gentlemen. The effort most of you are putting out on the other hand - is not.

Shame on the whole fucking team except Roli. Do any of you have any interest in stepping up and saving this season? Any of you at all? Hemsky - you seem to be a talent. Where are you with the game on the line last night? Horcoff? What about you? You have taken mad heat for signing a huge contract. Why not quiet your haters by popping in a goal here or there? We could go on down the list, but what is the use?

The I told you sos

Yeah Brownlee we get it. You predicted that the Oilers wouldn’t make the playoffs. This entire team is riddled with problems and you saw that and were able to inspire the legions of Oilers haters all year. You haters were all so wise and gave up on the team in the preseason whereas it took us till game 76 of a terrible season before we had our fill. Well you know what? We would rather have hope for 7 months of the year that things could turn out than write them off before the season rolls.

But that’s just how we roll.

And all the people that are going to come on here today and tell us how smart they were to know that the team sucked the entire year and this result was a foregone conclusion? Fuck you too. It's hilarious that you would surface now to rub salt in the wounds of the thousands on here that have lived and died with this team the entire season. If we could meet some of you in person this morning we would sucker punch you directly in the face and then stand over you waiting to see if you have any interest in making other smart ass remarks. So shut it. Brownlee is a professional journalist who isn't supposed to be a fan of the team. We understand why he makes predictions and then stands by them. The rest of you so called fans that come on here to hate - what possible motivation do you have to get up in the morning? To shit on everyone else's parade?

The Oilers should never have traded Ryan Smyth. He would have scored last night with the season on the line.

There we said it.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 JRocks247
March 30 2009, 09:56AM

Wow...On point.

Can we start mulling over the next Oilers head coach now?...the team reflects their coach. Never too exicited, never too dejected, mono tone and emotionless...fantastic strategy.

Pat Quinn, imagine the presser if he were coach..

#2 Jono
March 30 2009, 10:06AM

Thank you for speaking my mind this morning. Last night something deep inside me snapped. It is just so hard to care and believe when no one on the damn team seems to.

#3 Quinn
March 30 2009, 10:10AM

Wanye,

my sympathies dude. You put your heart out there to get stomped on and it got crushed. It feels like the 90's all over again, without the hope or joy.

I'm with you on the haters too - while they are laying on the ground from your sucker punch, I can stand there yelling "you want some more, huh? huh?" (but I reserve the right to run like a coward, 'cause I suck in a fight - maybe I can still play for this year's Oil?).

#4 humantorch
March 30 2009, 10:24AM

A-fucking-men, brother. A-fucking-men.

*pops open a real European beer, tries to shoot AK-47 in the air, realizes it's out of bullets*

#5 Monday Guy
March 30 2009, 10:24AM

Come on you guys, here's where the going gets tough. are we going to bend over just a little adversity i think we should....

*realizes how silly it sounds, even to myself **chokes on own words as tears fill my eyes

#6 jayoilfan
March 30 2009, 10:26AM

I was believing right up to the buzzer last night. Now, not so much. I always thought they'd find 'IT' sometime this season but I think it is too late. I still hope in my heart for all lack of commmon sense and reason that they win and still make it but in my mind, the writing is on the wall. I said it in another post, a .500 hockey team is just not good enough.

The Oilers are at best a .500 team ( I know they are actually under .500 if you look at their W, L and OTL). I just don't see 'IT' when I watch them.

I will still hope against all hope for them to win but it is a mighty struggle.

Thanks Oilers.

#7 Chaz
March 30 2009, 10:27AM

I agree with your points Wayne, and I too feel the frustration, but we've come too far to give up now. We have to go down with the ship. There's still hope...

#8 Al
March 30 2009, 10:28AM

So now what?

#9 humantorch
March 30 2009, 10:29AM

Al wrote:

So now what?

We drink our faces off and prepare for patio season. Go Esks?

#10 Rob
March 30 2009, 10:30AM

Jono, you took the words right out of my head for sure. My face was actually sore today from the bitter look I held all night last night. I'm actually dreading my birthday this year as it is the last game of the season and I'm sure to get driven into the ground by every flames, canucks and hawks fan I know. I hope to be so drunk by the end of that game that I cant even see or hear the riducule I will no doubt face.

Prove me wrong oilers!!! Win 5 out of the next 6 and show me that you guys actually have heart under that jersey!!

*sinks in chair, feels sorry for the nation......*

#11 ScubaSteve*FMNF
March 30 2009, 10:38AM

While I agree with most of your post, Wanye, that last line is the crap we've been hearing for 2 years. Should've kept Smyth

Like thats our one big problem.... Fact is, he was well past his prime when we traded him, it was the right move. If we are just gonna bitch about past trades, lets bitch about Gretzky. Either way, it's a stupid argument.

The pic at the top of the article says it all, Smyth, Hossa, Glencross, Jagr, it doesn't matter who's on the bench when we have MacT behind it.

#12 offside
March 30 2009, 10:39AM

Someone get this guy a Bud Light!!!!

#13 Sandra
March 30 2009, 10:39AM

Great article too bad none of the players can read. maybe that might motivate them. We are Oiler fans but where is the management in this? we kept hearing after 20, 40, 60 games but we got nothing. Our hopes will be shattered tomorow. Sad day for this once proud team.

#14 Chris
March 30 2009, 10:42AM

Wayne.

All I have left is the hope that the Flames fall flat on their face in the first round... Again.

#15 Sandra
March 30 2009, 10:44AM

Chris wrote:

Wayne. You are the best writer ever. *wiping tears into an open can of warmish Bud Light* All I have left is the hope that the Flames fall flat on their face in the first round… Again.

I'd rather have the Flames make it and have Betmans American dream shattered. Betman is the "Lowe" of the NHL

#16 baggedmilk
March 30 2009, 10:46AM

I feel you brother. I've got two games this week and you can be damn sure I'll cheer and drink my face off. I salute you for calling out the "fans." Well done, sir. Well done.

*gives Wanye a manly but firm hug*

#17 I'm a Scientist!
March 30 2009, 10:47AM

*buys Wayne a new bowl of cornflakes because somebody pissed in his other one this morning*

#18 Abdullah the Butcher
March 30 2009, 10:49AM

Smart money sez if the Oil win their next game, we are starting a cup run. This is so old it's getting old.

They win and legions of fans pour out of the woodwork exclaiming the team's greatness.

They lose and Wanye gets to swear.

Forget MacT what about the dumb motherfucker captain who gets inopportune penalties?

What about the captain, you know, the one responsible for his team, who can't light a fire under his teammates.

How about we get a new captain in the offseason that players will listen to? Maybe Souray?

I pray that the owner is quietly working on PLAN B.

Yeah, just like the pill, PLAN B. Abort this ugly miscarriage of team and management before it grows any larger.

#19 I'm a Scientist!
March 30 2009, 10:52AM

I still think we have a good team... they just need to be motivated. How do you motivate a slug to move faster? Either threaten it, or lure it with bait. Since the threats have not really paid dividends (Penner works for a couple games after being benched) how about a little motivation? An impromptu trip to the Hockey Hall of Fame? A viewing of some sort of emotional Youtube video showing teams winning the cup and showing the grit and determination needed to get there? Maybe bring the stanley cup in to the dressing room but don't let anyone touch it? Hookers...lots of dirty hookers?

Oh who am i kidding....promote the f**king coach so somebody else can do his job.

#20 Chris
March 30 2009, 10:53AM

@ Sandra:

Do you really want CALGARY to be CANADA's team? *mouth filling with vomit*

Remember your ABC's...

Anyone But Calgary!

#21 The Towel Boy
March 30 2009, 10:55AM

Oh man Wanye...SPIT THAT HOT FIRE!!

#22 mazola
March 30 2009, 10:56AM

I'm a Scientist! wrote:

Oh who am i kidding….promote the f**king coach so somebody else can do his job

Can we make Kevin Lowe Prime Minister and McT mayor of Edmonton and get back to some real hockey? Or give them both Senate positions? Isn't that what the Senate is for?

#23 jeanshorts
March 30 2009, 11:02AM

*Weeps openly has he salutes his Wanye Gretz flag*

So do we just throw out the Oilers bed, or do we wash it, or what? Because they've crapped it pretty terribly all season. Ah well. There's always next year. Right? RIGHT??

#24 AlBundy
March 30 2009, 11:03AM

Boys you gotta cheer for Calgary over any US team, simple as that.

Keep Airbag Smyth, no way, ask Fred about what he said on his radio show when he was at the other station. Fred is not a fan of Smyth so you know he was not well liked by his teammates.

When Roli is gone after the season, our MVP, what does that say about the organization? KLOWE, LISTEN NOW, GET THE F%CK OUT OF TOWN, NO ONE WANTS YOU HERE.

Come on Katz say or do something, or do you even know how? What makes you different than any other owner who is greedy. At least Peter Puck talked to us.

Oiler fans,including me, speak up and let the team know how unhappy you all are. Come on

#25 Sandra
March 30 2009, 11:06AM

Chris wrote:

@ Sandra: Do you really want CALGARY to be CANADA’s team? *mouth filling with vomit* Remember your ABC’s… Anyone But Calgary!

It's better than Vancouver.

#26 jeanshorts
March 30 2009, 11:07AM

AlBundy wrote:

Boys you gotta cheer for Calgary over any US team, simple as that.

No. NO. That is absolute crap. I f*cking hate when people say that. Basically what you're saying is that you'd be fine getting beaked three times harder by Flames fans if they god forbid win the cup. Do you really want to live with insufferable Flames fans when they actually have something to brag about? I sure as hell don't. At least if the Ducks or the Bruins or someone like that wins we don't have to deal with it year round.

#27 RBK
March 30 2009, 11:10AM

AlBundy wrote:

KLOWE, LISTEN NOW, GET THE F%CK OUT OF TOWN, NO ONE WANTS YOU HERE

I don't think that Kevin Lowe has anything to do with this now. He fulfills the duties of Team President with honor. He has already stepped aside and has appointed a new GM. What more do you want from him you idiot?

Good post Wanye.

#28 Rob
March 30 2009, 11:16AM

I just listened to the post game comments, what a joke.

Craig has given up, he sounds like a man thats run out of options. Gagner and Kotalik throw in the typical cliche's we have used all year, "we need to play 60 minutes", "we need to be desperate" and so on. We were using the "we need to play 60 minutes" excuse in november, when does it apply??? with 6 games left??? And to top it all off our grossly overpaid first line center seems to think we have "lots" of games left to right the ship. 6 is lots?? not when 5 of them need to be a W!

#29 socaldave
March 30 2009, 11:20AM

we win tomorrow... and Chicago beats St Loser on Wednesday... we're back in 8th! WHOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! GOOOOOOOOILERS!!

**grabs 17th BL of the day**

#30 I'm a Scientist!
March 30 2009, 11:21AM

@ mazola: Yes.

*starts to google "How to appoint a senator in Canada"*

#31 Chaz
March 30 2009, 11:30AM

AlBundy wrote:

Boys you gotta cheer for Calgary over any US team, simple as that.

I'd rather shave my head with a cheese grater. End of story.

#32 MattL
March 30 2009, 11:31AM

Guh.

The worst part was that for the last half of the 3rd, they looked like the team we were all expecting to see this season. Getting bodies and pucks to the net, skating with skill and speed, 4th line dumping and chasing and mucking, Pisani playing like an NHL player... I don't think the rest of the game was TERRIBLE, but they certainly weren't effective until the end of the game. If being in 10th doesn't create some urgency against Anaheim, it's officially over for this year.

All that said, they were better year than last year, and logic says they should be better next year too. Put Roli in a hyperbaric chamber and get him ready for 82 games next year. I recommend embalming fluid in a gatorade bottle.

#33 sittingatmydesk
March 30 2009, 11:32AM

Im so dissapointed, i actually thought we could fight for the division...so naive... good wanye, someone had to say it.... come on katz what are you going to do now.!!!!

#34 Smokin' Ray - NNC
March 30 2009, 11:34AM

Calgary? ROFL! No freaking way. Never. Not going to happen. I hate Vancouver but they are NOT the fLames. I hate the fLames. Hate them.

#35 Hottuna
March 30 2009, 11:35AM

Finally someone speaking it like it is. I couldn't agree more with everything you said. Thanks for the post. I jsut wish the oiler players would read this.

#36 BUCK75 - FMNF
March 30 2009, 11:40AM

WOW that is alot of Eff Bombs Wanye.

Epic - on a day where Eff bombs can only describe the hate & disgust for our team.

Like I said before the 2 play-off tickets that were paid & delivered last week are worthless now. It drives me crazy that these guys cannot find the motivation to control their own destiny. Win & you're in, but we in Edmonton like winning 1 & losing 2 - then hoping the teams behind or in front of us go on a apocalyptic losing streak.

TIRED OF SNEAKING INTO PLAY-OFFS!!! Gawd Dammit you over paid hacks!!!

#37 DonDon
March 30 2009, 11:42AM

I have never been a "hater" and have always hoped that this season's version of the Oilers could be a contender. I am an original fan that now lives in Calgary; imagine how the local media here are savouring over the Oil once again missing the playoffs. Sad to say, however, I didn't expect a much different outcome than what has occurred. Insanity has been described as doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different outcome. This seems to be a description of the Oilers' hockey ops people. There were early predictions about finishing atop of the NW Division. A pipe dream, considering the team started with the same coaches and the forwards on the team were built around players that are soft, generally small and puck control is definitely not their strong point. Moreau and Horcoff were coming off major injuries at the start of the year and KLowe hadn't added an impact forward. Penner had been a huge disappointment previously and GlenX was allowed to depart to Calgary. And the team started with three goaltenders, not a good omen. It may be a blessing in disguise that the Oil are out of the playoffs; the results call for a major overhaul. Let's hope that this occurs, for the good of the super supportive fans and the city's sports reputation.

#38 Sandra
March 30 2009, 11:44AM

MacT was at a loss for words, reminds me of the year he gave up when Smyth was traded.

#39 Victoria
March 30 2009, 11:44AM

Good god, am I really hearing people say we have to cheer for Vancouver or Calgary because they're Canadian teams? Fuck them! I'm not going to sell out to shit just because it's located in Canada.

I'll watch the playoffs and I'll root for s few teams here and there, but I'm an Oilers fan therefor I'll be cheering for the Flames and the Canucks to face a first round exit.

And Roli: If someone like Detroit shows interest in you in the offseason don't, under any circumstances, re-sign with the Oilers! You deserve better then this bullshit.

#40 Teeus Maximus Baggus
March 30 2009, 11:44AM

Is it too early to start discussing the draft? :p

#41 Engineer
March 30 2009, 11:47AM

So I take it that the local hockey squadron is not doing well...? *Reminisces about following hockey a little too closely in the 1990s, then giving up on the whole thing completely*

#42 Lofty
March 30 2009, 11:50AM

Lets get together and say a prayer for our 0.5% of getting Tavares

#43 kesler17
March 30 2009, 11:52AM

Yeah im a nucks fan, but I just love the writers and the post from you guys on here. Its entertaining to read while Im at work.. Anyway I know everyone is blaming MacT and rightfully so, but I caught some of the game last night and I think the problem lies with your *skilled* guys more than anyone else... I mean where was that clutch goal or play when you needed it? Like I live here in Edmonton and I've seen a ton of oil games basically because I just love hockey( only just got center ice so i can finally watch my boys out west) But even I remember watching the oil crash and bang and create something amazing when the game/season was on the line. The oil need to clean house and find some real heart and soul guys...ie Big George Smitty and Gator... what happened to that team? when even if im not a fan I could still enjoy watching them play a half decent game.

#44 baggedmilk
March 30 2009, 11:54AM

Cheer for the Flames? Crap. Cheer for anyone else? Crap.

The right answer is, the Oilers are out, who cares as long as it's not Calgary.

#45 Poo Czar
March 30 2009, 12:01PM

I would rather see the Atlanta Thrashers win 7 cups in a row than see the Flames won a single playoff series. It's in my blood. I just hate 'em, and I cannot bear to listen to Flames fans gloat about ANYTHING.

#46 Charlie
March 30 2009, 12:06PM

This sucks. Oh well, there's still a chance I guess.

FMNF.

#47 AlBundy
March 30 2009, 12:15PM

Boys and girls, Calgary's red mile has way better hooters than Wyte ave. You gotta think big picture. So what that the city of Calgary is laughing at Edmonton and their new and improved owner and the team's high profile PRESIDENT. Maybe we should call KLOWE, Mr. Bush. Mr Bush left US in a mess and seems to me Oil in a mess.

Go Hooters Go

#48 Chris
March 30 2009, 12:16PM

I guess MacT did a good job quelling the optimism.

Oh, and Lowe... Goog call on Bobby Ryan... Could you guys please draft some "busts" like him?

*Rolling his eyes while listening to Gagner claim he wasn't aware that St Louis, Anaheim, And Nashville had all won earlier that day...*

#49 the claw
March 30 2009, 12:18PM

Wanye, you're my hero. FMNF.

#50 Poo Czar
March 30 2009, 12:20PM

@ AlBundy: You want boobs, I'm pretty sure there are a few places on these here internets to find 'em. This is Hockey.

Oilers Love = Flames Hatred