Point and Counterpoint

Wanye
March 04 2009 03:42PM

solongcole

Erik Cole is gone.

Last night on their award winning website, jeanshorts and baggedmilk made the following statement: “I had a premonition, and I will tell you what it is. Erik Cole pots a beauty tonight only to be traded tomorrow. Book it.”

Well isn’t this fantastic. Not only is JSBM wanted in three different provinces for a variety of felonies but they are also apparently clairvoyant. This is a dangerous skill for an evil of their magnitude to have somehow acquired. Speaking of acquisitions -- how about them Oilers? (insert heavy sarcasm here)

Point: (from MSG via blackberry messenger)

“I honestly think that the Oilers came out on top today. Two quality players and a second rounder for Cole. Good trade”

Counterpoint:

Shut your tooth garage, MSG.

*throws a wild punch which MSG easily dodges, then runs into dark alley*

Point: (from humantorch in Holland via Twitter)

“And yet somehow we managed to get smaller and softer. Um, yay?”

Counterpoint:

Exactly. The Oilers are severely lacking players who possess the ability to bang and crash AND bring offensive skill to the table. Cole was one of the few Oilers who could beat you in the alley and on the scoreboard. Now, not so much. It fails to address any of the real shortcomings of the team and adds more smallish soft players to an already soft roster.

Point: (via comment from jeanshorts)

“Is Wanye sulking in the corner, clutching his autographed Erik Cole picture? Come on big guy, it’s what had to be done. I’m pretty sure you’d be more upset when he walked at the end of the season and we got absolutely nothing for him.”

Counterpoint:

Firstly we don’t have an Erik Cole autographed picture. If we did, we would be rushing down to a local tattoo artist to have him transfer it to our back in life-size detail to show Cole as he departs from town. Erik Cole didn’t want to leave Edmonton. We sat on a couch watching Gregor’s show broadcast not two feet from Robin (Smokeless) Brownlee as he said the following (or something close to it) not two weeks ago:

“If Cole leaves the Oilers it’s because the Oilers want to trade Cole -- not because he wants to leave Edmonton”

Good players come to Edmonton and often depart quickly thereafter. It’s time to reverse this trend. We have no issue with who the Oilers got in return today. O’Sullivan and Kotalik are fine. Whatever. It’s who they didn’t get (anyone of note) and who left town (#26) -- that is the problem.

It’s now crystal clear that it is known around the league to avoid E-Town until there is a regime change. If these are the best moves possible on a day where Morris went to Toronto, Jokinen went to Calgary and the Ducks emptied their roster of role players for basically nothing, then something needs to change.

And fast.

FMNF

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#51 Chris
March 04 2009, 06:38PM

This is it people: 12-8 for playoffs!!! Take a look at the schedule... The Oilers really need to win four of the next five for this to happen. Go Oilers!

#52 R-DAWG
March 04 2009, 06:52PM

It's kinda funny that the Sabres would even deal with the Oil after the offer sheet fiasco. Good move and good return. I think we need to get off the FMNF train and maybe get behind the boys. We may not get to game 7 of the final but I'm still hopeful of a first series steal and having the ole barn screamin again!!

#53 Cory Dakin
March 04 2009, 06:55PM

My feelings wouldn't be hurt by a 6th place finish and a first round showdown with the Shames... imagine a possible 9 straight games against them.. It would be ugly and beautiful all at the same time... Now I'll go back to reality... Thank you for your time...

#54 Poo Czar
March 04 2009, 06:57PM

I think we're seriously underestimating the impact of bringing in the most Irish name in hockey just before St. Paddy's day!

#55 Amber
March 04 2009, 07:06PM

And that's why names and numbers are on the back of jerseys; so we know, exactly, who's walking away from us.

sniff sniff

#56 Jack "FMNF" Bauer
March 04 2009, 07:11PM

IM not sure what interveiws you guys were listening to, but to be honest Cole sounded unphased and almost happy to be going back to Carolina, while Patrick sounded like his spinal column was being removed a Predator from Aliens vs. Predators.

#57 R-DAWG
March 04 2009, 07:27PM

O'Sillivan better not be a douche when he gets here! I realize he is leavin nice weather but he has a better shot of getting in the playoffs with us!

#58 R-DAWG
March 04 2009, 07:28PM

O'Sullivan...Sorry

#59 Jason Gregor
March 04 2009, 07:29PM

Fiveandagame wrote:

We won it fair and square. Had cole said he wanted to resign and do a new deal here I am sure he would have been signed, but you can’t run that risk with UFA’s

I had Tambellini on today, and you can listen at www.justagame.ca, and he said contracts talks never took place. Listen for yourself, but I sure got the impression he knew Cole wasn't going to re-sign here and got something for him.

Kotalik will play with Hemsky and Horcoff. I asked them which position they prefer, and Kotalik said wing is his preference and he doesn't mind left or right.

O'Sullivan said he can play all three, but admitted he has been playing wing most of the time. You aren't going to promote Pisani to the 2nd line RW so O'Sullivan becomes that guy. I bet Penner, Gagner and he are the 2nd unit.

My question is why not try Nilsson with Cogliano and Pisani. Nilsson seems to have better chemistry with 13 over 89. He and Cogliano can create plays with speed through the neutral zone.

Fourth line is Brodziak, Stortini and either Reddox or Jacques right now...I think Penner and Gagner are better suited than Penner and Cogliano, so move Nilsson with Cogliano.

#60 Colin
March 04 2009, 07:36PM

R-DAWG wrote:

O’Sillivan better not be a douche when he gets here! I realize he is leavin nice weather but he has a better shot of getting in the playoffs with us!

I don't know golfing in April is much the same. You just don't have to deal with mercurial fans or cold weather in LA.

That said it's a pretty good pick up if he plays at 80%+.

#61 GSC
March 04 2009, 07:39PM

@ Jasmine:

Penner can has cheezburger?

#62 Harlie Chuddy
March 04 2009, 07:51PM
Jasmine wrote: It’s unlikely that NHL players eat cheeseburgers.

Dave Hunter, Fat Balloon, Mike York and reality disagree.

#63 Mrs. Cole
March 04 2009, 08:00PM

WHAT A DAY!!!!!!!!!!! HOME TIME BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#64 shakey
March 04 2009, 08:01PM

jeanshorts wrote:

I heard they caught him masterbating inside that whale thing in West Ed.

Who hasn't done that...8 times before they got caught.

#65 RyanD
March 04 2009, 09:19PM

Harlie Chuddy wrote:

Jasmine wrote: It’s unlikely that NHL players eat cheeseburgers. Dave Hunter, Fat Balloon, Mike York and reality disagree.

Them's fighting words. I'm probably the only person on the planet with a Pat Falloon jersey hanging in their closet, haha.

#66 Steele
March 04 2009, 09:51PM

Nice moves.

Has anyone looked at the official Depth Chart?

Jacques! Jacques! Jacques!

C'mon Jacques!

~Steele

#67 W.T.
March 04 2009, 10:14PM

Robin was right on yesterday. And W.T. was right about Calgary needing to upgrade. After today between Calgary and Edmonton, who made the stronger moves?

#68 RBK
March 04 2009, 10:16PM

Mrs. Cole wrote:

WHAT A DAY!!!!!!!!!!! HOME TIME BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Comment of the day

#69 David S
March 04 2009, 11:47PM

W.T. wrote:

And W.T. was right about Calgary needing to upgrade.

Nice call Nostradamus.

#70 442Junkie
March 05 2009, 01:07AM

@ W.T.: Who Mortgaged their future because they knew their window was closing? Who made a deal that helped now and the future?

On a side note, W.T. you said that if the Oilers make the playoffs you won't post until the start of next season. If you man up like Daily Doug and promise not to post until the END of next season, maybe somebody would take up your wager. As for what's in it for you; respect. It's not much but it's a start...

#71 Jack Bauer
March 05 2009, 02:05AM

@ Jason Gregor:

I got a question. Why isnt Penner the next in line to spend some time in the press box? Theyre obviously very unhappy with his play of late judging by the daily demotions in favor of other players. Whats the point of having him out there if he cant contribute?

#72 humantorch
March 05 2009, 05:36AM

While I like the players coming back here, I STILL don't get this organization's complete inability to address the size/toughness issue. My Twitter quote Wayne posted still sums up my feelings after today.

#73 cambosmash
March 05 2009, 08:43AM

I'm glad O'Sullivan is flying into Ottawa and not Edmonton today. If he got off the plane in -15 with these gale force winds and ice pellets flying everywhere he would probably quit playing hockey. He's also probably too small to walk through these giant snow drifts without getting stuck.

#74 Deep Oil
March 05 2009, 08:52AM

jeanshorts wrote:

shakey wrote: Wanye, my source in Villenuve told me O’Sullivan is going to wear # 26. Everybody knows that Villneuve is filled with nothing but cousin lovers and toothless women.

Actaully, it is filled with gravel and salt which translates into millions of dollars for private companies that support the town. Share the wealth is my motto - Villeneuve is cool there is phone service and wireless internet available. Next time Richard Souray truckers come through town - I will say hi.

Trade - UFA Cole was non committed on many levels to Edmonton, the oil - so how could not like this - something for nothing..... and that something could turn into a catalyst for the for the first line.

Sorry have to go the bank now.....

Cheers.

#75 Deep Oil
March 05 2009, 08:54AM

Jack "FMNF" Bauer wrote:

Really - that is a suprise - can't the nation remember Cole had no say in coming here - via trade.... I am sure he had a calendar with two dates circled - trade deadline and July 01.