Deep Thoughts VIIII: Making it up as I go

Robin Brownlee
April 15 2009 08:40PM

its_go_time

The only thing that's nearly as important as getting the story right in the journalism business is getting it first. The challenge and the joy in this game is doing both consistently. Sometimes, even when you're right, it sucks. Like today, when Edmonton Oilers GM Steve Tambellini made it official the team and Craig MacTavish had parted ways.

Officially, MacTavish has been "relieved of his duties." I suspect he resigned, but the bottom line for fans, be they applauding the move or lamenting it, is he's gone. Not a happy day for reporters, those of us who've had MacT filling our notepads for a decade.

Then again, having been off the beat since January 2007 after 10 years of nagging MacTavish for The Journal and The Sun, I won't be impacted as much as today's everyday scribes, especially if the new guy is a stiff as a quote. That's their problem, but I digress . . .

Having written MacTavish off April 9 in Already Gone, again last Sunday in Armchair GMIII and finally in Tuned Out on Tuesday, it's the reaction to an item at the bottom of the last bit that got me thinking about the challenge of getting it right and getting it first.

I'm referring to a few sentences I wrote regarding a rumour Sheldon Souray might have requested a trade. It's a mention I wouldn't have made for an MSM outlet, but one I thought was fine here. I still do.

What's the buzz?

Burned like Grant Ledyard on a Todd Marchant breakaway when I disregarded an e-mail Chris Pronger wanted out of town in 2006 as bogus, I mentioned the Souray rumour, which also came to me by way of e-mail. The response was frenetic.

I wrote:

"Perhaps one of the reasons Souray didn’t make himself available to reporters Monday is he didn’t want to address speculation that he’s asked Tambellini for a trade. Rumours Souray has asked to be dealt began several weeks ago and they’ve persisted since. To this point, neither Souray or anybody in the Oilers front office has gone on the record to put the talk to rest. Until that happens, and there’s a flat-out denial from one of the parties, this has legs. Stay tuned."

Having sat on the gossip a few weeks waiting for the right time to raise the issue with Souray -- there's seldom a good time when a team is pooping itself -- I made the mention after Souray left the rink without talking and when I heard another media outlet was on the sniff.

While I wouldn't have dropped the hint something might be up if I was writing for the Canadian Press, the Globe and Mail or another MSM outlet because it wouldn't get past an editor looking for substantive sources and more meat, I see this gig as different.

If it has legs . . .

Before Tambellini's on-the-record "No" today and without a comment from Souray -- I sent him an e-mail asking him about the rumour -- I thought a couple of paragraphs would suffice.

I was amused by the reaction of some fans at sites like Hockey's Future. Some folks read the item and took note it was framed as a rumour before adding their two cents. Many did not. It made for much braying, even after I clarified the item in a subsequent comment.

I wrote:  "Like I said earlier, this is a rumour and nothing more at this point. To discount it completely would be foolish, but it’s also premature to take it as fact and start working out trade possibilities. The rumour, and the fact Souray has been separated from his kids, plus the fact he didn’t talk to the media Monday are all bits and pieces. Do they add up to him requesting a trade? Maybe. Maybe not. All we can do is ask Tambellini if the request has been made.

If I had it firm from Souray or anybody else, I wouldn’t be burying the item at the bottom of the story. It would be the story."

Even with that disclaimer, somebody named Homesick wrote: "Brownlee's man crush doesn't handle rejection well." Somebody who calls themselves IDrinkMomma'sPee, actually it was Replacement, declared: "Brownlee has gone south and has been hit with the blog bug. So much more fun to say anything and make it up."

Walking the line

Make it up? Well, no.

While I suspect Homesick and IDrinkMomma'sPee figure I make it up with my other writing gigs as well, there's no question the rules at Oilersnation are different -- I make them. In that regard, I have an advantage over MSM peers like Dan Barnes or Jim Matheson or Ryan Rishaug.

Good thing, because they're sharp and I'll take any edge I can get. They can't go with the Souray item, at least not the way I presented it. I can't either, if I'm writing for CP. But for OilersNation? Absolutely.

That said, I try not to get too loose with the journalistic rules I've grown up with. I won't write something I know is bogus. Making stuff up for the hell of it isn't my style. Without credibility, I might as well be wearing pajamas. You don't want that.

Fact is, if a player reads something that's a fabrication, he doesn't care whether it was written here or in the New York Times. All he wants to know is why you wrote that he wears women's clothing on the weekend, or wants to be traded when he doesn't.

Make stuff up, and you don't get another interview. I'm not worried about that with Souray. There's some smoke here -- he's not a happy camper, but much of that is because he's away from his children and this season sucked -- but apparently no trade fire.

Anyway, as I try to get the hang of this interweb thing while still wearing my MSM hats, I'll let the times I get it first and get it right speak for itself. In this business, that's how we keep score.

As for that talk about Pat Quinn and Tambellini's short list . . .

-- Listen to Robin Brownlee every Thursday from 4 to 6 p.m. on Just A Game with Jason Gregor on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
A sports writer since 1983, including stints at The Edmonton Journal and The Sun 1989-2007, I happily co-host the Jason Gregor Show on TSN 1260 twice a week and write when so inclined. Have the best damn lawn on the internet. Most important, I am Sam's dad. Follow me on Twitter at Robin_Brownlee. Or don't.
Avatar
#51 Jonathan Willis
April 16 2009, 08:39AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

ryan wrote:

Ok it doesn’t make every other team crap, but the last couple of years the team that has won the cup had a 40 goal guy. Do you think the oil stand a chance with no goal scorers and scoring from committee ? Give me a break!!!!!!! How many Oilers scored over 20 goals? 2? CAN’T WIN IF YOU DON’T SCORE

How pathetic does that make the Oilers' defensive game then? Because they allowed more goals against than they scored. You can't win if you get scored on more than you score.

Avatar
#52 Rick
April 16 2009, 08:50AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Robin, a couple questions about the press conference yesterday;

And don't take it as an attack on the MSM, it's just a curiosity.

A couple weeks ago I believe you made mention of a story when Sather was trading one of his guys to Quebec and how he answered the question honestly, like a lawyer honest, but not honest in the sense of what the reporter was asking.

Using that as the basis, why would the reporters yesterday ask if Souray made a trade request?

Wouldn't it have been a more revealing question to ask something along the lines of - have any players expressed a dissatisfaction in the situation here? (or something along those lines, I'm sure you get the gist)

It seems like the question that was asked not only gave Tambellini a way out due to technicality but also didn't really allow room for much follow up.

Secondly and along the same track, the trade denial is getting alot of play but am I the only one that thinks the more telling or potentially concerning statement was when Tambellini made reference to the veterans and said something to the effect of "hopefully they want to be a part of this going forward"?

Avatar
#53 King Mob
April 16 2009, 08:54AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

since i can find no fault in your well written article, I will criticize your roman numeral skills.

Deep Thoughts IX.

uh, go Oilers.

Avatar
#54 Rob
April 16 2009, 09:02AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Rick:

You obviously didn't listen to the presser or read through JW's minutes in his article.

From JW: 12:20] - “It’s important that we take our time right now and that we review all aspects.” No hasty decisions to be made, supposedly. Tambellini also was asked if any players had expressed a desire to leave. His response: “No.”

Avatar
#55 442Junkie
April 16 2009, 09:04AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

King Mob wrote:

since i can find no fault in your well written article, I will criticize your roman numeral skills. Deep Thoughts IX. uh, go Oilers.

My dad has a picture of gate 54 at the Colosseum in Rome it reads LIIII. I'm sure the Romans had a pretty good idea how to write their own numbers...It's the laziness of modern times that has adjusted it to IX

Avatar
#56 Rob
April 16 2009, 09:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Rob:

He also mentioned that he had talked to all the players except for a couple. Gregor also went into detail about the Souray rumor saying that Souray was concerned about the teams direction and didn't request a trade. Mact's release relieved some of that concern so I expect him to finish his contract here. If I'm Souray and I heard Tambo's presser yesterday I'm feeling alot better about things.

Avatar
#57 Chris
April 16 2009, 09:11AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

It's up to the new coach to deliver an effective PP. It's up to management to deliver personnel for a PK. It's up to the players to execute both. This is the key to sneaking into 8th next year. Detroit, San Jose, Chicago, Calgary, Vancouver, Columbus, are all going to be at the dance. I'm not sure how I like our positioning with the rest in the west. Annahiem is still good. St. Louis is sharply on the rise. L.A. and Phoenix will be better (and fast). I can't discount Dallas or Minnesota... a few tweaks and some better luck with injuries... you get the picture. Sounds like the Oilers are heading for a total rebuild... But that said: IF the new coach can get our guys to execute on the PP, and IF the Oilers somehow get magical goaltending, and IF management delivers on the need for some toughness and PK'ing forwards... The might Oil may limp into 8th... It's all we can hope for.

Avatar
#58 baggedmilk
April 16 2009, 09:11AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Robin,

It would be sad if Souray did want a trade, but as you mentioned a rumour is a rumour. Nothing more, nothing less. It gave people something to talk about here at the nation and that's what you do well.

Now, importantly. I want to know who's on your short list for coaching? Personally, I would like to see Pat Quinn here, if he had the right assitant coaches. Quinn is the 7th winningest coach in the NHL and one thing with his teams is that they always compete hard. Something this team desperately needed this year.

Who's on your wish list? Legs or no legs, who would you like to see?

Avatar
#59 I'm a Scientist!
April 16 2009, 09:15AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

If this rumor comes true i am going to start a rumor saying that Britney wants to bang me... not based on fact or anything, but i am pretty sure i have had an e-mail about it in the past.

People sure blow things out of proportion.

Avatar
#60 I'm a Scientist!
April 16 2009, 09:16AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

*rumour

ugh.

Avatar
#61 Rick
April 16 2009, 09:20AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Rob wrote:

@ Rick: You obviously didn’t listen to the presser or read through JW’s minutes in his article.

I couldn't hear the questions being asked, but based on how everyone was framing it (radio most specifically) I assumed that it was Souray specific.

And no offence to JW but you're right, I never read through his minutes.

My bad on that part I guess. I still think that there should have been alot of room to follow up on that train of thought but wasn't.

Avatar
#62 Ducey
April 16 2009, 09:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

The problem Mr Brownlee, is that you continually refer to your past credentials. If you want to do this fine, but it restricts your ability to throw around rumours like ARod throws $100 bills at a strip club.

If Eklund or somebody with no access to the team passes on something he heard, everyone will take it with a grain of salt. However, if a noted ex journalist who has access to the dressing room and some of the personalitites involved passes on something he heard, its going to be tough to know whether it has any legs.

I think you have more of a responsibility than you seem to be willing to accept.

Avatar
#63 Rob
April 16 2009, 09:29AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Rick:

No worries (Hope I didn't come accross an a**hole in my reply, not my intent).

I do agree though, I wanted more follow up to that question than just a "no". It didn't seem like each repoter had alot of time to ask questions but I expected someone to mention the Souray and Smid rumors.

Avatar
#64 Ogden Brother
April 16 2009, 09:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Chris wrote:

It’s up to the new coach to deliver an effective PP. It’s up to management to deliver personnel for a PK. It’s up to the players to execute both. This is the key to sneaking into 8th next year. Detroit, San Jose, Chicago, Calgary, Vancouver, Columbus, are all going to be at the dance. I’m not sure how I like our positioning with the rest in the west. Annahiem is still good. St. Louis is sharply on the rise. L.A. and Phoenix will be better (and fast). I can’t discount Dallas or Minnesota… a few tweaks and some better luck with injuries… you get the picture. Sounds like the Oilers are heading for a total rebuild… But that said: IF the new coach can get our guys to execute on the PP, and IF the Oilers somehow get magical goaltending, and IF management delivers on the need for some toughness and PK’ing forwards… The might Oil may limp into 8th… It’s all we can hope for.

The team better do alot better then 7th/8th.... we hear repeatedly that it's the coaches fault that this team has been stuck in that range.

If a new guy comes in and gets the same results, it might mean their was more then just the coach wrong with the team.

*Gasp*

Avatar
#65 Rob
April 16 2009, 09:49AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Ogden Brother:

"If a new guy comes in and gets the same results, it might mean their was more then just the coach wrong with the team."

I think its common knowledge that it wasn't just the coach, Tambo made that pretty clear if you ask me. We need a better effort from everyone in the entire organization thats for sure. That said, I doubt we bounce back next season and jump into 5th or 6th in the playoffs. If anyone thinks that at this point you obviously didn't learn about false expectations over this year. The oil have work to do and I would be shocked if we became a cup contender over one summer of changes. I expect a 7th or 8th scrape-in next season for sure.

Avatar
#66 jeff
April 16 2009, 09:59AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Robin

You can't be picking and choosing what type of reporter you want to be. People will take what you say and post it elsewhere and because your name is tied to it people will take it for the truth.

If you want to ruin your credibility continue to make postings like the Souray one and the Smid one.

Avatar
#67 yo
April 16 2009, 10:00AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I find it interesting that at one time Souray said he wanted to re-sign with the Habs and was mystified that it hadn't happened. That would have put an entire continent between himself and his kids. He signed in Edmonton because they overpaid him.

Any form of excuse that uses the 'family values card' (see Neidermeyer) is likely a prelude to a trade request. If this ever did get legs he would likely have value in the eyes of the Cali teams salary cap issues notwithstanding.

Avatar
#68 I'm a Scientist!
April 16 2009, 10:11AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

jeff wrote:

If you want to ruin your credibility continue to make postings like the Souray one and the Smid one

Wow. Did you even read the article. How many times is the word rumour mentioned?

Rumour is defined as: an unverified account or explanation of events circulating from person to person and pertaining to an object, event, or issue in public concern.

If you think that sharing a rumour that would interest the entire group here would ruin somebody's credibility, perhaps you should get your oilers information from the TSN website.

Good bye.

Avatar
#69 jeff
April 16 2009, 10:15AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I'm a Scientist! wrote:

jeff wrote: If you want to ruin your credibility continue to make postings like the Souray one and the Smid one Wow. Did you even read the article. How many times is the word rumour mentioned? Rumour is defined as: an unverified account or explanation of events circulating from person to person and pertaining to an object, event, or issue in public concern. If you think that sharing a rumour that would interest the entire group here would ruin somebody’s credibility, perhaps you should get your oilers information from the TSN website. Good bye.

I use to read Brownlee for credible rumors, now they are no more then Eklund rumors.

Avatar
#70 Ogden Brother
April 16 2009, 10:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Rob:

Oh it deffinitly isn't common knowledge. I've seen all kinds of people claiming this team is far better then 8th with a different coach.

Avatar
#71 RossCreek
April 16 2009, 10:22AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

With all due respect, Souray's family issues aren't really our business. Him signing here for "family reasons" could relate to the fact that he has several extended family members in the area. If he indeed wants out to go to Cali to be closer to his kids, then that is something that should not be judged. What would you do in that situation.

Avatar
#72 Ogden Brother
April 16 2009, 10:22AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

jeff wrote:

I’m a Scientist! wrote: jeff wrote: If you want to ruin your credibility continue to make postings like the Souray one and the Smid one Wow. Did you even read the article. How many times is the word rumour mentioned? Rumour is defined as: an unverified account or explanation of events circulating from person to person and pertaining to an object, event, or issue in public concern. If you think that sharing a rumour that would interest the entire group here would ruin somebody’s credibility, perhaps you should get your oilers information from the TSN website. Good bye. I use to read Brownlee for credible rumors, now they are no more then Eklund rumors.

"Credible rumour" interesting concept

Avatar
#73 Robin Brownlee
April 16 2009, 10:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Ducey wrote:

The problem Mr Brownlee, is that you continually refer to your past credentials. If you want to do this fine, but it restricts your ability to throw around rumours like ARod throws $100 bills at a strip club. If Eklund or somebody with no access to the team passes on something he heard, everyone will take it with a grain of salt. However, if a noted ex journalist who has access to the dressing room and some of the personalitites involved passes on something he heard, its going to be tough to know whether it has any legs. I think you have more of a responsibility than you seem to be willing to accept.

There is no problem, smart guy. First, neither my past nor current credentials restrict my ability to do my job, so your premise is flat-out wrong right of the blocks. I approach what I do professionally, whether it's for CP, TEAM 1260, Metro or ON. And I'm not an "ex-journalist," I'm a working MSM reporter who also writes on this blog. What part of everything I wrote above don't you understand? Did you even read it?

Second, I know you're either not paying attention or have an axe to grind when you suggest I throw around rumours with reckless abandon. Not so. A lot of what's written out there has no basis in fact, but I don't work that way and my track record shows it -- again, all explained in the item above.

One thing I didn't mention above is that last week, after MacTavish's newswer, I sat in the parking lot at the bottom of the ramp for 30 minutes waiting for Souray to ask him about this -- like I said, you can't exactly bring it up in a scrum or everybody gets it. Strudwick saw me there. So did Pisani and Gregor. So did Stauffer. I mentioned to him I was waiting for Souray, but didn't say why. People looking to write stuff just for the sake of writing it don't do that. So much for your "responsibility" and A-Rod take. Bogus.

The problem is Souray didn't show that day and then skipped out on the final day, as well. That's why, not thinking for a second I was the only media guy who might be after the story, I made mention of it -- clearly framing it as a rumour. There, that's more of an explanation than you deserve.

Avatar
#74 Robin Brownlee
April 16 2009, 10:26AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

jeff wrote:

Robin You can’t be picking and choosing what type of reporter you want to be. People will take what you say and post it elsewhere and because your name is tied to it people will take it for the truth. If you want to ruin your credibility continue to make postings like the Souray one and the Smid one.

Smid asked for a trade.

Avatar
#75 Milli
April 16 2009, 10:27AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ albundy: hey al, how's your hot daughter doing? Mind if I stop by and mow the lawn>??????

Avatar
#76 Sandra
April 16 2009, 10:54AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Milli wrote:

@ albundy: hey al, how’s your hot daughter doing? Mind if I stop by and mow the lawn>??????

Milli Vinilli, are you doing lip service again?

Avatar
#77 MattL
April 16 2009, 10:57AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Robin Brownlee:

Is your name even Robin Brownlee? I don't know what to believe anymore.

This is interesting because you are a pioneer in the hybrid world of real journalists living in the wild west of the internet. I wouldn't worry about what a bunch of yahoos think of your reporting abilities, chances are if they think you're making something up out of thin air, it's because they're the type of people who would do the same, because they live in a world of anonymous security. Chances are, nobody who criticized you would post their real names/e-mails/contact information.

That's the difference between you and a loser in a dark basement.

Avatar
#78 AlBundy
April 16 2009, 11:01AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Hi J.W. wow, you sure giving it to me today. Aren't you the same fellow who was dropping F bombs like no tomm. when the Oilers lost a critical game and you had had enough? Gee, was that necessary to use the F bomb as I'm sure your aware many kids read these blogs? You sure represented yourself well that time!

Yup, Stauffer doesn't like Smyth and no other reporter that I have heard mentioned the same issues Stauffer has brought up about Smyth.

Oiler kids out of wed lock, man, get your head out of the sand and deal with reality.

Katz did send a text, I think, saying Mact is not going anywhere and then it is reported everywhere that MacT was fired, as per TSN and Sportsnet.

Maybe this is where I drop a few F bombs to make my point. @ Jonathan Willis:

Avatar
#79 AlBundy
April 16 2009, 11:02AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Come on down to the trailer park, she is sitting onthe hood of that 1976 Pinto I've been meaning to sell for top dollar. She is tanning right now so now is a good time @ Milli:

Avatar
#80 Sandra
April 16 2009, 11:04AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

MattL wrote:

@ Robin Brownlee: Is your name even Robin Brownlee? I don’t know what to believe anymore. This is interesting because you are a pioneer in the hybrid world of real journalists living in the wild west of the internet. I wouldn’t worry about what a bunch of yahoos think of your reporting abilities, chances are if they think you’re making something up out of thin air, it’s because they’re the type of people who would do the same, because they live in a world of anonymous security. Chances are, nobody who criticized you would post their real names/e-mails/contact information. That’s the difference between you and a loser in a dark basement.

If you read the article, and have seen the players reactions, you would know this story has legs. Intuition is part of journalism, but I guess you don't need that at the "Sun". Robin does have sources that can confirm his story, but why jepordize them in the future. He beat you to the punch. Your posting the same thing under different names. Now which reporter from the Sun is it?

Avatar
#81 Jonathan Willis
April 16 2009, 11:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ AlBundy:

I've never sworn on this blog. Look it up.

Avatar
#82 Jonathan Willis
April 16 2009, 11:39AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ AlBundy:

Incidentally, I've never used profanity on any of my other blogs either, because I don't think it's professional. I'm an amateur at this, but unlike you or that other third-person using creature who posts from your IP address, I do have something of a reputation.

Now either backup your accusation with a link, or back down.

Avatar
#83 Jonathan Willis
April 16 2009, 11:44AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ AlBundy:

And what the heck, let's go even further with this. You're a liar. Not only are you a liar, but you're not a very bright liar. If you're going to lie about me, you may as well lie about something that isn't obviously false from the public record. Further, if you're going to lie about me, you're pretty stupid to do it on a site where I can have your comments removed for being the blatant lies that they are.

I'm not going to do that right now, though, because I know you can't prove your accusation, and I want everyone to see it.

Avatar
#84 MattL
April 16 2009, 11:46AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Sandra:

Did you mean to write this to me? I have no idea what you are talking about, and I was defending Mr. Brownlee. I assume you were replying to the wrong post, right?

Avatar
#85 West Coast Oil
April 16 2009, 12:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

wow its turning into a battle royale here.. remember people MacT is gone this is a happy time in Oiler land :)

Avatar
#86 c33
April 16 2009, 12:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Wow...an interesting blog on the departure of the coach has turned to mudslinging the author.....

Keep doing the great work bringing us the Oilers news we can't get elsewhere.

Back to the coach....I agree with most other posts, if anyone thinks that just a new coach is going to get us into the playoffs, they have not been watching the same team I have. The new coach will actually need some guys who are THANKFUL to play in the NHL every night for big bucks (especially when fans are being laid off) and give a solid effort every game.

Anyone else think that MacT probably did the best with the talent he was given (or not given, depending on how you look at it) by management? More than enough blame to go around.

Any one with the Oilers give an indication when MacT will be available for comment?

Avatar
#87 c33
April 16 2009, 12:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

It will be happier time in Oilers land when we get some players who play with heart and not coast through the season.

@ West Coast Oil:

Avatar
#88 OilW30
April 16 2009, 12:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Robin Brownlee wrote:

Sandra wrote: The Cartoonist wrote: Sandra wrote: Yes he did say that if MacT was back with the Oilers, he would request a trade. Would request, he did not request it yet. Could it be that Souray was the “anonymous veteran player” who mentioned a need for a coaching change a while back? I really think it was Staios, Yes Staios. The locker room was fine. It was when Penner, a well liked player int the room, was “belittled” by MacT, that the room started tuning him out. Souray, Staios and Penner are great chums. You’ve got it right. While I’ve criticized Penner often, he’s a popular guy in the dressing room and MacTavish’s treatment of him — especially discussing his shortcomings publicly — did not sit well. That’s a fact.

If that's true, then it seems like an indictment of the players rather than MacT. They should want Penner to try harder and they should be pissed at him when he doesn't show up. He got what he deserved.

Avatar
#89 Robin Brownlee
April 16 2009, 01:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ OilW30: I wrestle with that all the time. I've always been put off by players who don't give you all they've got as many nights as they can. Everybody has bad nights, but you can at least respect a player who shows up the vast majority of the time.

I don't see that with Penner. He teases you. I can understand why MacTavish got frustrated with him and if I was a fan paying $100 a night to watch him play I'd feel the same. In a perfect world, so would Penner's teammates.

That said, players are teammates and friends and there's a kinship. If the perception is that one of their own is being singled out or picked on, the wagons circle. That's true when it comes to media people being overly critical and, obviously, to MacTavish. At some point, the perception in the room was MacTavish had crossed a line with Penner.

Avatar
#90 Ogden Brother
April 16 2009, 01:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Robin Brownlee wrote:

@ OilW30: I wrestle with that all the time. I’ve always been put off by players who don’t give you all they’ve got as many nights as they can. Everybody has bad nights, but you can at least respect a player who shows up the vast majority of the time. I don’t see that with Penner. He teases you. I can understand why MacTavish got frustrated with him and if I was a fan paying $100 a night to watch him play I’d feel the same. In a perfect world, so would Penner’s teammates. That said, players are teammates and friends and there’s a kinship. If the perception is that one of their own is being singled out or picked on, the wagons circle. That’s true when it comes to media people being overly critical and, obviously, to MacTavish. At some point, the perception in the room was MacTavish had crossed a line with Penner.

He shouldn't have brought up $$$ in my opinion... and put him back on the 1st line (or if not that at least the first PP) right away. Other then that, it was all good in my books.

Avatar
#91 Robin Brownlee
April 16 2009, 01:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Ogden Brother: The contract reference was a zinger. We love it when we get an edgy quote like that and it grabbed our attention, but I know the money talk struck a sour note with players. It always does.

Avatar
#92 Ducey
April 16 2009, 01:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Robin Brownlee wrote:

There is no problem, smart guy... The problem is Souray didn’t show that day and then skipped out on the final day, as well. That’s why, not thinking for a second I was the only media guy who might be after the story, I made mention of it — clearly framing it as a rumour. There, that’s more of an explanation than you deserve.

Wouldn't a print journalist or someone who wanted to make sure the info was at least "most likely" correct have waited until he spoke with Souray or otherwise verified the info? I don't see Jim Matheson floating "rumours" and I bet you know the reason why.

While you get marks for trying to verify it, when you couldn't you should have kept it to yourself. Getting it out first is less important than getting it right - especially when it involves the teams #1 D man in the aftermath of the Pronger mess.

By the way, get a thicker skin. You are not going to win any arguments calling my position "Bogus" nor attacking me. It just further undermines your credibility.

I appreciate the fact that you take the time to Blog here. It doesn't mean I have to agree with you.

Avatar
#93 jeff
April 16 2009, 01:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Ducey: I like your way of thinking

Avatar
#94 Robin Brownlee
April 16 2009, 02:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Ducey wrote:

By the way, get a thicker skin. You are not going to win any arguments calling my position “Bogus” nor attacking me. It just further undermines your credibility.

No it doesn't. Not sitting here quietly while you takes runs at me has nothing to do with my credibility. And saying I toss around rumours like A-Rod tosses around $100s is taking a run at me. It's bogus because it isn't true.

One more time -- I didn't write the rumour for CP or another MSM outlet because the burden of proof and the required standards of certainty are different, which also addresses why somebody like Matty didn't go with it in this situation.

Although, if you were as media saavy as you think you are, you'd know that Matty does get rumours in -- when he writes something like "Maybe the Oilers should take a look at Player X," it comes off as opinion, but often he's written it because he's heard talk the Oilers are already looking at Player X but he doesn't have it firmed up.

It's really simple: if I lack credibility with you, don't read what I write. I'll get over it.

Avatar
#95 Dennis
April 16 2009, 02:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Speaking of pajamas, is there a connection between wearing lounging pants and being able to see the destruction that Kevin Lowe brought to the org?

Or, more pointedly, pointing out said fact?:)

This isn't towards RB alone but for all the good word I've seen done in the past week or so - I especially enjoyed and was shocked by Barnes taking a smack at 18's penchant for the bad penalty - I can't help but feel a little saddened by the fact that MacT took the axe for both him and Lowe and no one feels moved to write it.

So, there looks to be one sacred cow remaining.

Finally, I don't have a problem with Brownlee floating a rumour but I do have a problem with the anal bug he has for all bloggers and how he lumps them as rumor mongers.

Avatar
#96 bingofuel
April 16 2009, 02:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Dennis:

In fairness, Dennis, you have a similar anal bug for all MSM types, and tend to lump them as ass-kissing whitewashers, so it's kind of a pointless argument to even try and start.

Avatar
#97 lisa
April 16 2009, 02:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Jonathan Willis, I have read these blogs all year and I have liked your work. Today however, I have lost all respect for you. Good bye.

Avatar
#98 bingofuel
April 16 2009, 02:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Lisa:

Hey Lisa, cute post... It's apparent, however, that you are either "albundy," or that you're posting from the same machine as him. I'm assuming the former. Nice try, though.

Avatar
#99 Robin Brownlee
April 16 2009, 02:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ bingofuel: oops . . .

Avatar
#100 bingofuel
April 16 2009, 02:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

And though he doesn't need defending, I should say that every time Brownlee has met with me, I HAVE been wearing pyjamas. Ones with feet sewn on. It's my fault bloggers get a bad name. I did the same thing when I had lunch with David Staples once.

Comments are closed for this article.