Raffi Torres: Masterton Nominee

Jonathan Willis
April 02 2009 10:17AM

Torres

Former Oiler Raffi Torres is the Columbus Blue Jackets’ nominee for the Masterton Trophy, which is awarded annually to the NHL player who “best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey.”

It’s also known as “that award the league gives out to Jason Blake because he plays for Toronto rather than to Fernando Pisani despite the fact that Pisani’s hair follicles have more heart than the combined heart of Jason Blake even if Jason Blake were cloned into an army of pale, whiny Jason Blakes.” Admittedly, the trophy’s only described that way on the wall of Wanye’s current cardboard residence, but the point stands. After all, Bobby Clarke won the thing so I don’t think that “sportsmanship” enters into it.

Torres has had a nice bounce-back year once he returned from injury; his pre-injury numbers were very bad but he’s salvaged that somewhat with 12 goals on the year so far. Meanwhile, Gilbert Brule has 13 goals in the AHL, so there’s no doubt as to which team has benefited more on the ice from this summer’s trade. I’ve always maintained that Torres was under-appreciated here in Edmonton; he was frightfully inconsistent, but even when he wasn’t scoring he wasn’t bleeding chances against and nobody can tell me that his physical game hasn’t been missed this season.

I very much doubt that he wins the award.

As for the Oilers, I’m not sure who is going to get the nod from the media writers in this town, but my guess would be that after seven seasons in seven different leagues and an ugly injury this year, Steve MacIntyre will be nominated for the award.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#1 The Towel Boy
April 02 2009, 10:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Who saw this coming?!?

Avatar
#2 Greg MC
April 02 2009, 10:25AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Wanye's current cardboard residence? When did he move from the dumpster?

Avatar
#3 Jonathan Willis
April 02 2009, 10:28AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Greg MC:

The problem with the dumpster is you don't want to sleep on the day the truck comes for it. Cardboard is much safer.

Avatar
#4 Greg MC
April 02 2009, 10:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Jonathan Willis: BAHAHAHA!

Avatar
#5 a_ron
April 02 2009, 10:37AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Jonathan Willis: What about Roli, after being the backup last year to 35 straight starts. He'd get my vote.

Avatar
#6 Harlie
April 02 2009, 10:40AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Yay Raffi! Now sing us a lullaby while I gently fall asleep..

Avatar
#7 Jonathan Willis
April 02 2009, 10:40AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ a_ron:

Roloson's a good guess too. I thought about him, but MacIntyre's a much bigger rags-to-riches sort of story. We'll know in a couple of days, although I imagine Brownlee could give us a hint early.

Avatar
#8 humantorch
April 02 2009, 10:45AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

The league will probably just give it to Blake for the second year in a row because he's just that dedicated.

Avatar
#9 Victoria
April 02 2009, 10:50AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Judging by how much the media writers have yapped about Roloson this year, I'd put my money on him to be the choice.

Avatar
#10 Jonathan Willis
April 02 2009, 10:51AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

humantorch wrote:

The league will probably just give it to Blake for the second year in a row because he’s just that dedicated.

Or Curtis Joseph - sure, he's sucked this year, but it sucks more to suck in Toronto than it sucks to suck anywhere else.

Avatar
#11 Harlie
April 02 2009, 10:53AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

a_ron wrote:

@ Jonathan Willis: What about Roli, after being the backup last year to 35 straight starts. He’d get my vote.

He'd get your vote for what? He wasn't injured so he won't win the Masterton. And it sickens me to hear how people are gushing over Rolli's play this season just because MacT played the crap outta him. He is not the MVP of this team in my mind. Yes he stood on his head many many times but he also deflated the team quite regularly with his one or two softies per game. My MVP would have to be Souray. Not only did he defend players at every turn but he was an open book to the media. You add to that his scoring prowess this season which got him a trip to the All Star game (Hemsky who?) and the amount of minutes Sheldon played per game. Plus Sheldon broke 20 goals this year. We've only had 3 defenseman in the entire 30 year history of the Oilers to do that. Yeah Rolli played his heart out and he did well for his age but when we needed him the most (like last Anaheim game) and the game before that he let the team down with softies.

- 3rd on Oilers in scoring & is 2nd in goals, 1st in PPG (10) & 5th in assists.

- 9th in scoring among NHL defencemen & is 2nd in goals & 2nd in PPG.

- It is the 2nd 20-goal season of his career & he is 6 goals shy of tying his career-high of 26 goals he scored with Montreal in 2006-07.

- Played season-high 31:55 at LAK (Feb. 14)

Avatar
#12 Jonathan Willis
April 02 2009, 10:56AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Harlie wrote:

He’d get your vote for what? He wasn’t injured so he won’t win the Masterton.

I'm assuming that he meant Roloson would get his vote as the Oilers' Masterton nominee.

Not that it matters - whoever the Oilers nominate won't win it. Pisani deserved it last year.

Avatar
#13 Jonathan Willis
April 02 2009, 10:57AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Harlie wrote:

Yeah Rolli played his heart out and he did well for his age but when we needed him the most (like last Anaheim game) and the game before that he let the team down with softies.

~Damn you Roli! I want to see 40 straight games at the age of 50 before you start letting in softies!~

Avatar
#14 a_ron
April 02 2009, 11:04AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Harlie: Masterton Trophy, which is awarded annually to the NHL player who “best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey.”

Where does it say you have to be injured?

Avatar
#15 Jamie
April 02 2009, 11:06AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

the NHL player who “best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey.”

Heh. Suck it, Sharks fans.

Avatar
#16 Zamboni Driver
April 02 2009, 11:06AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

...also known as "Raffi quit drinkin'"

Avatar
#17 jeanshorts
April 02 2009, 11:08AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

a_ron wrote:

Where does it say you have to be injured?

It doesn't but the last six winners have "overcame" some kind of injury. So that's more or less the biggest factor in the voting I assume.

Avatar
#18 Harlie
April 02 2009, 11:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ jeanshorts:

exactly

Avatar
#19 Jonathan Willis
April 02 2009, 11:11AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

jeanshorts wrote:

It doesn’t but the last six winners have “overcame” some kind of injury. So that’s more or less the biggest factor in the voting I assume.

Aside from Jason Blake, who "overcame" some "scary medication", that is.

Avatar
#20 jeanshorts
April 02 2009, 11:14AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Jonathan Willis:

I'm still bitter about it too. The thing that really got me was that Blake didn't even miss a game I don't think. Where as Pisani almost died. Where is the justice???? WHERE!!!!

Avatar
#21 Poo Czar
April 02 2009, 11:27AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Jonathan Willis wrote:

“that award the league gives out to Jason Blake because he plays for Toronto rather than to Fernando Pisani despite the fact that Pisani’s hair follicles have more heart than the combined heart of Jason Blake even if Jason Blake were cloned into an army of pale, whiny Jason Blakes.”

Y'know Willis, you take a lot of crap for being Mr. Math around here, but that right there? That's effing funny. I like the fire you've been bringing lately.

Avatar
#22 442Junkie
April 02 2009, 11:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

jeanshorts wrote:

@ Jonathan Willis: The thing that really got me was that Blake didn’t even miss a game I don’t think. Where as Pisani almost died. Where is the justice???? WHERE!!!!

I hear ya. Fernando was weeks away from pooping in a bag for the rest of his life. He weighed less that Wanye's empty can of BL. Since his disease isn't as glamourous* as cancer he doesn't get the nod. Seriously, that was some hardcore injustice.

*glamourous like Brittany Spears, not glamourous like something we all would like to have or aspire to

Avatar
#23 Jonathan Willis
April 02 2009, 11:49AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Pisani was robbed last year.

I'm still mad about it.

Avatar
#24 Archaeologuy
April 02 2009, 12:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Maybe its like the Oscars and Pisani will win this year because he was robbed last year. Russell Crowe in Gladiator? Seriously?

Avatar
#25 Victoria
April 02 2009, 12:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Harlie:

Are you joking? After last season everyone counted on Roloson to be either traded, waived or even bought out, I've heard plenty of "He's old" or "He's washed up" blah blah blah; the dude could've easily just accepted the situation and disappeared from the NHL. But no, he works his tail off in the summer to get into better shape physically and mentally, he deals with the three goalie mess like a pro, and he get's his starting position back. Not only that, he handled all the criticism from the media and chirping from the fans well last season and he was professional about everything. I mean, really, the guy has not b**ched about the situation once. And he did all of this why? Because he wants to play hockey. Perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey.

The reason a lot of players with serious injuries or illnesses are so frequently nominated is because those are obvious obstacles these guys have to get though. But that doesn't mean they're the only obstacles that make a player worthy of their teams Masterton nod. Look at Chelios, he gets an annual nod because he's old.

Avatar
#26 Victoria
April 02 2009, 01:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Oh and the Pisani think was a friggin' joke. Just hearing the word 'cancer' combined with the Toronto Maple Leafs made those walking jokes who choose the winners toss the award to Blake. They probably didn't even bother to read what Pisani had to go through.

Avatar
#27 Harlie
April 02 2009, 01:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Victoria:

So because Rolli didn't b*tch in the media and he is old he should with the Masterton and the MVP of our team?

Avatar
#28 Victoria
April 02 2009, 01:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Harlie: You just ignored 90% of my post. Way to read.

Also, you complained about Roli in the last two games. Souray has gotten one assist in the last 7. Whoopie! It doesn't take a stretch of the mind to figure out that Souray's got that number of goals over the entire season because he's the only person people pass the puck to on the PP.

Avatar
#29 Harlie
April 02 2009, 01:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Victoria wrote:

@ Harlie: You just ignored 90% of my post. Way to read.

No I didn't. 90% of your post stated that Rolli was old and that he didn't b*tch in the media. I don't care how many words it takes you to spell out your point but it broke down to the two things.

In regards to Souray how many defenseman have we had on the PP in the last thrity years yet Souray is only one of 3 defenseman for the Oilers to score over 20 goals.

Rah Rah Roloson! ;)

Avatar
#30 Harlie
April 02 2009, 01:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

also...Souray has had 10 PPG and the Oilers have had 57 PPG this year. So 18% of the time Souray was the scorer on the PP. That hardly backs up your assertion that Souray was the "only guy to pass the puck to on the PP".

Avatar
#31 Victoria
April 02 2009, 01:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Harlie wrote:

also…Souray has had 10 PPG and the Oilers have had 57 PPG this year. So 18% of the time Souray was the scorer on the PP. That hardly backs up your assertion that Souray was the “only guy to pass the puck to on the PP”.

That's because every other teams know what he's going to so so most of the time his shot doesn't even get though.

But you just proved my point right there, half his goals are on the PP. Take being on the advantage away and he's only got 11 goals this season. Rah Rah Souray!

Avatar
#32 Victoria
April 02 2009, 01:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Harlie wrote:

No I didn’t. 90% of your post stated that Rolli was old and that he didn’t b*tch in the media. I don’t care how many words it takes you to spell out your point but it broke down to the two things.

Well, you know what? You believe whatever your ignorance tells you, but it's not going to make anyone else agree with you. We'll see who's right tomorrow.

Avatar
#33 Harlie
April 02 2009, 01:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Victoria wrote:

half his goals are on the PP.

your right...half of Horcoff's goals are on the PP. Half of Gilberts goals were on on the PP. More than half for Lubo were on the PP. And a little less than half were on the PP for Nilsson and Souray. Have you seen Kotalik's stats? Half on the PP too.

Take being on the advantage away and everyone including Souray sucks right? I don't understand this "take this away" mentality. Either it is there or it is not.

Avatar
#34 a_ron
April 02 2009, 02:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I think Harley is JDD in disguise. He's upset that he hasn't played since last year.

Avatar
#35 Trevylan
April 02 2009, 02:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Jonathan Willis wrote:

Pisani was robbed last year. I’m still mad about it.

I agree. Jason Blake isn't even respected by his former (maybe even some current) teammates. Check out this vid on youtube, from the Van/Tor game this year. Seems even Sundin isn't a fan of the Blakian one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l33XP-seYUs

I love the comment by Shorthouse: "He looked up, saw 55, and gave him a shot, right there."

I think Willis should hand out ALL the awards this year. That would be interesting. I'm up for a little randomness...

Avatar
#36 Victoria
April 02 2009, 02:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ a_ron:

Lol! Or Garon.

Avatar
#37 Victoria
April 02 2009, 02:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Harlie:

You haven't understood much today, so I'm not surprised. The thing you're ignoring is no one else on our team has the PP revolve around them like Souray does. He's got 100 more minutes then anyone else. Even Hemmer hasn't had the PP geared towards him scoring goals like Souray has.

Look, I'm not saying Souray hasn't been good, but you're going on about his goal scoring and he's had 10 goals on a PP that has been built around getting him the puck. Kind of explains why our PP has been so bad this year, it's predictable.

Avatar
#38 Robin Brownlee
April 02 2009, 02:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Jonathan Willis wrote:

@ a_ron: Roloson’s a good guess too. I thought about him, but MacIntyre’s a much bigger rags-to-riches sort of story. We’ll know in a couple of days, although I imagine Brownlee could give us a hint early.

I already did in last Monday's edition of the Metro (what, you don't read it?). It'll be MacIntyre.

Avatar
#39 Harlie
April 02 2009, 02:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Victoria wrote:

@ Harlie: You haven’t understood much today, so I’m not surprised.

There isn't much to understand when you talk out of your ass 90% of the time. Give me some facts or some stats other than your rah rah Roli is god shtick that you learned from listening to too much Bryan Hall.

Avatar
#40 a_ron
April 02 2009, 03:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Harlie: Nobody has said anything about Roli being a god, but based on the criteria: sportsmanship, perserverance and dedication to hockey I felt that Roloson at least deserved consideration after last season where he was relegated to back-up and this year bouncing back and some nights being the Oilers best chance to win.

Avatar
#41 Jonathan Willis
April 02 2009, 03:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Robin Brownlee wrote:

I already did in last Monday’s edition of the Metro (what, you don’t read it?). It’ll be MacIntyre.

Every single time I take Edmonton transit, Robin. Every single time.

Avatar
#42 Victoria
April 02 2009, 03:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I like Big Mac, he's got a good story, but I don't know if I'd call to rags to riches. More like rags to our press box; Poor guy hasn't gotten this few games since the 03/04 season.

I'd say he's my second choice.

Avatar
#43 Victoria
April 02 2009, 03:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

edit: Actually, I'm wrong, he's never gotten this few games.

Avatar
#44 Victoria
April 02 2009, 03:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Harlie wrote: @ Harlie: You haven’t understood much today, so I’m not surprised.

There isn’t much to understand when you talk out of your ass 90% of the time. Give me some facts or some stats other than your rah rah Roli is god shtick that you learned from listening to too much Bryan Hall.

That's your comeback?! Weak.

Avatar
#45 Harlie
April 02 2009, 03:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Victoria wrote:

I like Big Mac, he’s got a good story, but I don’t know if I’d call to rags to riches. More like rags to our press box; Poor guy hasn’t gotten this few games since the 03/04 season. I’d say he’s my second choice.

going from being in a minor league to a major league and making 10X the amount of money is the very definition of rags to riches. Never mind getting your face caved in sticking up for your team. But yeah your right, making 3.6 million a year while avoiding the press is more worthy.

Avatar
#46 Victoria
April 02 2009, 05:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Harlie wrote:

Victoria wrote: I like Big Mac, he’s got a good story, but I don’t know if I’d call to rags to riches. More like rags to our press box; Poor guy hasn’t gotten this few games since the 03/04 season. I’d say he’s my second choice. going from being in a minor league to a major league and making 10X the amount of money is the very definition of rags to riches. Never mind getting your face caved in sticking up for your team. But yeah your right, making 3.6 million a year while avoiding the press is more worthy.

Another boneheaded post from you. So now the Masterton is about money? The 'rags to riches' Willis is referring to is Mac going from being bumped around minor league teams to finally playing in the NHL, not the money he makes. Time for you to get the hamster back on the wheel, Harlie.

Avatar
#47 Jack "FMNF" Bauer
April 02 2009, 05:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Jonathan Willis:

You live in the city? I thought you lived in Timbucktoo, BC.

@ Robin Brownlee:

I read it whenever I am given the coluntary option of getting it. Unlike the 95% of the time when the LRT stairs are blocked by 2 of these "peoples" handing this shît out.

Avatar
#48 Harlie
April 02 2009, 06:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Victoria wrote:

Harlie wrote: Victoria wrote: I SAID - going from being in a minor league to a major league U SAID - The ‘rags to riches’ Willis is referring to is Mac going from being bumped around minor league teams to finally playing in the NHL,

who's the bonehead that can't read? Back to HFboards with you Narnia.

Avatar
#49 Jonathan Willis
April 02 2009, 07:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Jack "FMNF" Bauer wrote:

@ Jonathan Willis: You live in the city? I thought you lived in Timbucktoo, BC.

Which is of course why I haven't read it ;)

Avatar
#50 Victoria
April 02 2009, 07:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Harlie wrote:

Victoria wrote: Harlie wrote: Victoria wrote: I SAID - going from being in a minor league to a major league U SAID - The ‘rags to riches’ Willis is referring to is Mac going from being bumped around minor league teams to finally playing in the NHL, who’s the bonehead that can’t read? Back to HFboards with you Narnia.

Uh, wow. You're a piece of work. How about rereading your post then getting back to me. And what the hell is the HFBoards and who's Narnia? Is this how you spend your life, fighting on message boards?

Comments are closed for this article.