Doing Their Job

Jonathan Willis
April 03 2009 09:26AM

Katz

I got the sense watching Kevin Lowe’s press conference last night that the local media were not going to go easy on him in the next few days, and that owner Daryl Katz’s heavy-handed attempt to cutoff conversation about the future of his head coach was going to backfire badly.

The early returns would seem to indicate that my feeling was right. We’ll start in the logical place, by taking a look at the rather excellent piece which appears in today’s Edmonton Journal under Dan Barnes’ by-line. Do read the entire thing, but there are a couple of excerpts that really stood out to me.

But the growing cacophony of discontent in fandom and the Edmonton media grew rather more hostile and centred on MacTavish Thursday afternoon and it prompted owner Daryl Katz to issue a cryptic, pre-game vote of confidence for his head coach, via text message to the team's radio rights holder. He's the boss, he can deliver his edicts any damn way and any damn time he chooses but this one seems to leap off the pages of a Wizard of Oz script, the unseen boss disseminating a message through a radio conduit.

Barnes hits the nail on the head there. Katz certainly has the power to run his team the way he likes, but a single “cryptic” text message is certainly not the best way to get the message out.

It was Barnes at last night’s press conference who raised the question of whether Craig MacTavish might be back in a different capacity next season. Lowe refused to answer. He delves into it further in his column today and he took away the same thought that both David Staples and I did; namely that the Oilers press conference last night left many questions unanswered – most specifically, the very question that Daryl Katz wished to quiet: the future of the head coach.

Barnes feels that Craig MacTavish will resign if and when the Oilers miss the playoffs; it seems like a reasonable conclusion to me.

Terry Jones, who I expected little from after his mild question to Lowe last night, surprised me with his column this morning. In retrospect it shouldn’t have been so surprising to me; Jones has always been suspicious of Katz in his columns. If memory serves it was Jones who first raised the name of Peter Pocklington when the EIG were considering selling the team to a single owner.

But it is Jones this morning who raises one of the other questions that I had last night: why wasn’t Steve Tambellini handling the press conference?

Obviously the owner has every right to be part of the process. But what does this say about the hockey people you hire? In this case, especially, what does it say of Tambellini? Does this not announce that he's been hired as a puppet? One of the reasons Tambellini was hired was to spend most of the year looking at this team and deciding what changes had to be made for the future - an outside opinion to look at everything top to bottom and make major decisions for the future. Not knee-jerk decisions.

Whatever the answers to these questions are going forward, it seems apparent that the local media wants them. That, of course, is a good thing – it’s their job.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#1 BUCK75 - FMNF
April 03 2009, 09:40AM

It is a strange soap opera we follow here in Edmonton.

That is not the comment fans wanted to hear form the reclusive owner. Definately not the way we wanted to hear it either.

FMNF!

#2 jeanshorts
April 03 2009, 09:49AM

It's nice to see the MSM actually trying to stir the pot a little and get some actual answers for once, rather than just resting on their laurels with the whole "whatever the organization says is right" attitude you typically see.

#3 Khush
April 03 2009, 09:52AM

Our organization seems to be going downhill this season. Starting from the top of the pyramid to the bottom.

#4 Rick
April 03 2009, 09:56AM

I don't see the same question regarding Tambellini that Jones is asking. At least not in respect to KLowe handling the presser last night.

From what I heard of it KLowe was addressing Katz's text message, not the team. As such I think the president of hockey ops is a more appropriate conduit to represent the owner than the GM. The GM is supposed to be the conduit that represents the team.

It was an appropriate separation of duties I think.

As for Katz's comment itself, after the Hossa and Jagr attempts it was looking like the Oilers had an owner that was treating the team like a shiny toy. That's never a recipe for success when an owner over rules the hockey guys he hired.

His text last night seems to point further in that direction.

I am left wondering if KLowe's explanation of Katz not understanding why the focus wasn't on the stretch drive but instead the fate of the head coach was spin or if it was really Katz's mindset when he piped up.

Personally I hope it was spin because if that was truly the reason behind it, it leaves me wondering what the future holds if the owner can't come to the simple and logical conclusion that the focus is on the coach because the faith in the team has been lost completely.

It would have to qualify him as a guy who has his head in the sand.

#5 jayoilfan
April 03 2009, 09:59AM

Great article JW, The whole messs over the last week has got me wondering about the future. Will the right choices be made in the coming months in regards to what this team needs and who will be making those choices and then as a second thought: What are the right choices...

I am getting to be skeptical as to whether or not the current group of management types will be able to find the correct options for choices and then act upon them.

I will always be a fan and should just trust that they'll will do what needs to be done but isn't that what we've been waiting for since '06? I am trying to put it all out of my mind so I can just enjoy the hockey being played. Last night was a great game (IMO), if they played like that more often, I have no problem supporting them. Sure there were few gaff but tey played hard, fought hard and were very competitive (Gagner and Penner to me looked like some of the best Oilers). The post was in the wrong spot at 4 seperate times.

#6 jdrevenge
April 03 2009, 10:03AM

I just dont get why Lowe is so suprised that the fans are talking about this. He kinda reminded me of Bush JR last night. He looked genuinely pissed which makes absolutely no sense to me.... I get hes passionate about the game but how can you try and silence a discussion thats an obvious conclusion to mediocrity over the last few seasons.

The fact that we're four games left doesnt erase the first 78 played...

#7 Archaeologuy
April 03 2009, 10:07AM

Well, I'm just going to toot my own here (its a little early in the morning for that but I have free time).

On wednesday I wrote:

My only fear is that with the fan base looking for a scapegoat the team will turn inwards and wall themselves further up.

"I mean it happens all the time in sports, the us against them mentallity and Lowe has been fairly teflon regarding the blame before this season. The excuses seemed valid. So will his first response in this situation be to go back into that old Us v Them player mode? I mean the management and coaching staff are so close to each other and all 3 played the game.

Personally, I think that has to be the only reason MacT has kept his job all season. What GM or President lets the coach decide when he’s going to get fired/move on? It’s a gutless move that 29 other teams wouldnt make. Before this year I never thought Lowe did a disservice to the team but he was clearly in derriliction of duty, and Tamby is walking around RX1 like he belongs on “Thunderbirds”."

That was wednesday. On Thursday Katz decided to try to stop the Fans from trying to make an impact on the team as he made that absolutely insane text message. He made the first act in walling the team up from the people who love it the most. He effectively confirmed my worst fear, that the club and its management would make this an Us v Them situation against their own fans.

Also, the inactions of Tambellini in this firestorm all but confirms that he is not the GM of this team.

I usually assume that you cant become a billionaire by being an idiot, but at the same time NORMAL people dont become billionaires. I personally know Millionaires, and, from my experience, despite being wealthy these people lack a balanced perspective on most subjects. I know very little about the Dark Knight, but I have the sneaking suspicion that this club will not be a team of the people as it has been under the EIG.

#8 jdrevenge
April 03 2009, 10:13AM

I'm also getting the feeling that Lowe is losing touch a bit. Sounded last night like he was trying to bully the media/fans into shutting up about it. Hes forgetting that he works for us not the other way around.

#9 GSC
April 03 2009, 10:13AM

@ Jonathan Willis:

Well said, partner.

There are quite a few questions that need answers heading into this offseason. Namely, what went wrong? Is it the coaching? The make up of the roster? The front office? I'd venture to say that all of the above are responsible for the failure to meet even the most modest of expectations, that being a return to the playoffs.

As for Katz, he's doing exactly what a smart owner should do. He's protecting his head coach, who he's not going to throw under the bus with just a few games remaining on the schedule. Craig is Daryl's friend and a well-respected person in the organization, as he should be considering his contributions as a player and a coach. I have no problem with what Katz did, although like you and Barnesie said it would've been better had he done so in a Eugene Melnyk-esque fashion.

It's going to be an interesting off-season for sure...Here's to Tambellini really being the man who calls the shots and moves this franchise forward. There's been too much tied to the glory days, we're almost 20 years removed from the last Stanley Cup and it's time to see some results.

#10 GSC
April 03 2009, 10:18AM

@ Archaeologuy:

With what I just posted, I can also see your angle and happen to agree that there is potentially an Us Oilers Vs. Them Fans situation brewing. In fact, it's been that way for quite sometime with Lowe, MacTavish, and LaForge running the show. Katz is going to defer to their judgment until they decide to move on with this hockey club, it's a fact of life.

Edmonton is not just another city with an NHL team, it's hockey-savvy and the fans know when they're not getting their money's worth. To bite the hand that feeds you is a risky proposition, and Katz and Co. have done exactly that. Time will tell if those bite marks draw blood or just a small bruise.

#11 oilerdago
April 03 2009, 10:26AM

JW: As always, another top notch column. Not to toot my horn but I've said for months there is no way MacT will get fired, that he'll do the honorable thing and resign (and obviously now he's going to be moved to another position in the organization). That's been reinforced by Katz in the last 16 hours.

In all of this, it's not to say I think MacT's a bad coach, it's just that he could not overcome the issues with the roster that his friend KLowe created for him so now it's someone else's turn. I wonder if he feels any remorse for what he's put MacT through because I think he shares even more of the blame and yet he gets little of the heat.

What happens after this season is going to be as important to the future of this team as what happened 2 springs ago when they decided it was time to re-build and shipped off Ryan Smyth.

The pressure will be on Tambellini to sort out the holes at forward (once and for all he's got to find someone to play w/Hemsky, he's got to find a 3rd line center who can take pressure off Horcoff and kill penalties) and decide what chips to bargain off to do this with.

Be interesting to see what unfolds.

#12 Zamboni Driver
April 03 2009, 10:28AM

yeah, waging a war with the die-hard Oilers fans is probably not the approach these geniuses want to take when they start yapping again about a new facility.

As it stands now, I'd say 65+% of the population would be against it....a sh*tload of people will mobilize against it, and it will take Oilers fans to push it forward.

And we're a LITTTTTLE on the pi$$ed off side right now.

PR move, not so good.

#13 FlamesFan
April 03 2009, 10:33AM

@ jdrevenge: he doesnt work for you . nor does any hockey player , they are the entertainers , and you are the consumers. Don't like something dont buy it.

#14 Rob
April 03 2009, 10:35AM

What a difference 6 months makes! Pre-season was a happy time, new owner, new players, everyone healthy, 4 game winning streak to start the season, things were looking up! Now its the Oilers vs. the Nation! I dont think I've ever felt this scared about the future of the team. Is it the players? is it the gm/president?? is it the owner?? It seems like there are so many things wrong right now its almost an impossible feat to correct it all before October. The thing that worries me the most is if we do get a new coach, will Craig and Kevin be puppeteering the whole thing the way they want it anyway?? Tambo appears to have no freedom, what makes anyone thing a new coach will be any different??

Wake me up when this nightmare is over!

#15 Thorn
April 03 2009, 10:37AM

This whole topic is jumping the gun a bit here; lets wait and see what management does to address the glaring problem of the Oil's continued struggle to make the post season. The appropriate time to make drastic decisions/moves is after the full NHL season. What I'd like to know is WHY fans are loudest when those stupid little cars race around Rexal on the screen?! Do fans actually believe that the louder they cheer, the better chance their section has to win?!! If they could show that kind of enthusiasm for the "on-ice" production they've paid $100+ for, we could've saved ourselves the embarassment of our players pleading for us to cheer for them.

#16 Rob
April 03 2009, 10:41AM

Thorn wrote:

Pretty tough when you pay $100+ for "on-ice" production and get treated to about $5.39 worth in return.

#17 Archaeologuy
April 03 2009, 10:41AM

Thorn wrote:

I think the appropriate time to make these changes was before the trade deadline around the halfway mark, when it was clear that the coach couldnt get it done and we didnt have anyone else to take faceoffs, but thats just what me and 90% of fans thought. Turns out we were right. The season could have been saved but the club decided to do nothing. Stay the course, works all the time, right? Just like the War in Iraq and the financial sector...

#18 Colin-FMNF
April 03 2009, 10:44AM

GSC wrote:

Edmonton is not just another city with an NHL team, it’s hockey-savvy and the fans know when they’re not getting their money’s worth. To bite the hand that feeds you is a risky proposition, and Katz and Co. have done exactly that. Time will tell if those bite marks draw blood or just a small bruise.

Or a pimp slap to the face. remember the empty buildings of the mid 90's? too much more of this expletive and it could (and should) happen again.

#19 moose66
April 03 2009, 10:44AM

I THINK ITS TIME TO STOP SUPPORTING REXALL DRUGS!!!! SHOPPERS DRUG MART LOOKS ALOT MORE APPEALING EVERYDAY!!! I don't buy drugs from ghosts! Way to be an owner, class act!! Sending a text has to be the most rediculous thing i have seen an owner do in many years! A total LOSER! Although a RICH Loser!

#20 Reggie
April 03 2009, 10:46AM

Thorn wrote:

What I’d like to know is WHY fans are loudest when those stupid little cars race around Rexal on the screen?! Do fans actually believe that the louder they cheer, the better chance their section has to win?!! If they could show that kind of enthusiasm for the “on-ice” production they’ve paid $100+ for, we could’ve saved ourselves the embarassment of our players pleading for us to cheer for them.

Well, at the midway point of the 3rd period the wave was going around like crazy in the rink, yet there was no excitement from the team on the ice. I guess it takes more than the wave to get them excited ? it wasn't loud enough ? the cheer wasn't on key ? [insert dripping sarcasm icon here]

#21 smytty777
April 03 2009, 10:49AM

Thorn wrote:

This whole topic is jumping the gun a bit here; lets wait and see what management does to address the glaring problem of the Oil’s continued struggle to make the post season.

I could not agree with that statement more. It makes no sense to question the future of coaching/management with four games left in the season, it makes a tonne of sense to question it at the end of the season.

I understand that it is no longer interesting to discuss the current season, so it is somewhat logical to look to the future right now, but from the Oilers perspective it makes zero sense. They still have hockey games to play. Deal with the aftermath once the season is done.

Katz is not an idiot. Lowe is not an idiot. Mac T (contrary to popular opinion) is not an idiot. They will do what they think is best to make this a winning organization. And frankly they are better positioned to fix the problems than we are as fans. I'm confident that if Mac T feels he not the best person for the coaching job he will step down. He has made his mistakes this year, but he cares about this franchise, probably more than most of the players do.

I don't want Mac T coaching this team next year, but I respect the guy a lot and I'm confident he, Lowe and Katz will do the right thing for this franchise in the offseason.

#22 Chaz
April 03 2009, 10:49AM

Oops, I posted the following comment on the wrong story:

So the Oil brass want us to talk about something besides Mac T hey? Here are some topics….

-For a four million dollar player, why can’t Gilbert make a tape to tape pass out of his own zone and why is he softer than the Pilsberry dough boy? -Why is the organization surprised by their own fans booing when they have the 4th worst home record in the league? -Why will Horcs make as much as Datsyuk next year? -Was wasn’t the obvious need for a faceoff specialist adressed all year? -Why have the special teams blown goats all year? (I tried to think of a nicer way to phrase that, but I couldn’t) -Why is the ice in Rexall so brutal pucks hop over the sticks of our pointmen in the 3rd period every night? -How did that 3 headed goalie monster work out for you this year?

….yeah, I can see why they wouldn’t want to talk about the coaching situation with all of these other great topics to hash out….(What’s that sacrasm button again? Oh yeah: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!!!!!)

#23 Rick
April 03 2009, 10:51AM

FlamesFan wrote:

@ jdrevenge: he doesnt work for you . nor does any hockey player , they are the entertainers , and you are the consumers. Don’t like something dont buy it.

I think most fans consider not buying it as a final option.

The way I see it is that the fans that continue to fill the seats despite their displeasure in the product are indicating that they will be there for the team when the team is reciprocating with the effort or performance that is expected.

The mausoleum feel in Rexall is the first form of protest in that the support is not unconditional but is indeed tied to the teams performance and the fans expectation.

The big question, that just got even bigger, is do the Oilers or maybe more specifically Katz recognize this protest?

If not they will be in for a shocking surprise when the fans start to get dressed up as empty seats.

#24 FlamesFan
April 03 2009, 10:54AM

moose66 wrote:

You sound very childish. If you do not like the oilers way of playing the game or how management or ownership runs their team then dont buy it. :) , drugstores have nothing to do with anything im sure him and 2300 stores in north america would get effected by a couple hundred edmonton residents who didnt buy asswipe from the drugstore.

#25 I'm a Scientist!
April 03 2009, 10:54AM

@ moose66: Oh settle down. What is the big deal? The guy bought the team and wants it to succeed AND stay in Edmonton. It would make no sense to start boycotting his store over this. Ya, let's chase more people out of Edmonton...geesh.

Speaking of class act...

#26 Reggie
April 03 2009, 10:55AM

Chaz wrote:

-How did that 3 headed goalie monster work out for you this year?

Is that the 3 headed goalie monster ? or the fact the coach thought he only had 1 goalie signed ? [once again, dripping sarcasm icon inserted]

#27 jdrevenge
April 03 2009, 11:00AM

@ FlamesFan:

Its supply and demand my friend. If they piss off enough people by acting like we'll buy it just cuz... there wont be anyone to buy it anymore. If they get too cocky they enter Harold Ballard/Chicago Blackhawks territory. Not that any of them are that stupid... I'm just saying that they should tread lightly.

It wasnt that long ago that the city abandoned them... It could happen again.

#28 The Towel Boy
April 03 2009, 11:10AM

Why is DK sitting with John Lithgow?

#29 Monday Guy
April 03 2009, 11:11AM

The Towel Boy wrote:

Why is DK sitting with John Lithgow?

you idiot, thats not John Lithgow

... Its Colin Mochrie

#30 Archaeologuy
April 03 2009, 11:12AM

The Towel Boy wrote:

Why is DK sitting with John Lithgow?

Maybe on top of wanting to own a hockey team he wanted to meet the Sasquatch. Now its up to John to tell him it was just a movie.

#31 moose66
April 03 2009, 11:13AM

@ jdrevenge: FlamesFan wrote:

That's how disillusioned you are when saying a couple of hundred Oilers fans! Don't you have your own fan blog to go too?

#32 FlamesFan
April 03 2009, 11:16AM

jdrevenge wrote:

@ FlamesFan: Its supply and demand my friend. If they piss off enough people by acting like we’ll buy it just cuz… there wont be anyone to buy it anymore. If they get too cocky they enter Harold Ballard/Chicago Blackhawks territory. Not that any of them are that stupid… I’m just saying that they should tread lightly. It wasnt that long ago that the city abandoned them… It could happen again.

First off , Your right supply and demand. I believe there is endless amount of demand , and their is always supply as long as there are seats at rexall. You have to understand something also , the oilers are also a team for mainly northern alberta also. You got people from red deer, to fort mac , grand praire , lakeleand area who drive down to these games, there is endless amounts of fans willing to fill those seats up. But one thing here its not mac t the problem guys .

#33 Jonathan Willis
April 03 2009, 11:18AM

Rick wrote:

From what I heard of it KLowe was addressing Katz’s text message, not the team. As such I think the president of hockey ops is a more appropriate conduit to represent the owner than the GM. The GM is supposed to be the conduit that represents the team.

On the other hand, Katz's comments were on whether the head coach would be retained or not, and the guy who should be the driving force behind that decision is the GM, Steve Tambellini.

#34 jdrevenge
April 03 2009, 11:19AM

@ moose66:

moose66 wrote:

Lol... friggin flames fans. This is what they do when the Oil start tanking. I know this cuz we've seen it alot over the last few years. Its in their blood to avenge their losses of years past just before the playoffs start... Before the C on the jersey doesnt stand for Calgary anymore.

#35 FlamesFan
April 03 2009, 11:20AM

moose66 wrote:

@ jdrevenge: FlamesFan wrote: moose66 wrote: I THINK ITS TIME TO STOP SUPPORTING REXALL DRUGS!!!! SHOPPERS DRUG MART LOOKS ALOT MORE APPEALING EVERYDAY!!! I don’t buy drugs from ghosts! Way to be an owner, class act!! Sending a text has to be the most rediculous thing i have seen an owner do in many years! A total LOSER! Although a RICH Loser! You sound very childish. If you do not like the oilers way of playing the game or how management or ownership runs their team then dont buy it. , drugstores have nothing to do with anything im sure him and 2300 stores in north america would get effected by a couple hundred edmonton residents who didnt buy asswipe from the drugstore. That’s how disillusioned you are when saying a couple of hundred Oilers fans! Don’t you have your own fan blog to go too?

ahhh ya couple hundred people who buy asswhipe from there tell me how many people here ever been in a rexall for that matter. I been to his other stores IDA but who cares bout that. What does his drugstores got to do with anything . what im saying is u can shut all those edmonton stores down and wouldnt be a peanut of his sack. That is childish in a sense what does his other business dealings got to do with this. flames fan but ill nutthug katz and mac t on this one .

#36 Archaeologuy
April 03 2009, 11:22AM

@ FlamesFan:

ofcourse a Flames fan supports MacT as head coach, you guys can keep crapping all over us with him at the helm.

#37 FlamesFan
April 03 2009, 11:23AM

jdrevenge wrote:

i told you i attend more oiler games then most of you , i go to about 10 of them a year when i can i also stated im not an oilers fan flames fan first. But i do love hockey i said that what does this got to do with the oilers tanking? Im pulling for them or was i should say. I still like the oilers and i believe they are a class act organization. But im just trying to give you a perspective in a way that im not bias to anyone or the team. Way i see it Not mac t the problem.

#38 The Towel Boy
April 03 2009, 11:24AM

Archaeologuy wrote:

Best...movie....EVER!

...if you grew up in the 80's.

#39 I'm a Scientist!
April 03 2009, 11:25AM

*swallows his pride...and maybe any common sense*

I agree with FlamesFan...

*shiver*

#40 FlamesFan
April 03 2009, 11:26AM

Well Sir , You have to understand if you do not like it watch it on tv if you think the oilers are not worth the tickets. Im not even a oilers fan , Im actually a flames fan. But i do attend about 10 home games for the oilers because i love hockey and don’t care if i shell out couple hundred a game for tickets heck if i could get season tickets i would buy them . Just like any other business this is sport , Its called Sports Entertainment. If you do not feel like your entertainment value then please do not watch or go to the games. As for rich hockey team owners they can do whatever they like especially in canadian markets and big U.S ones. For every person who doesn’t renew a season ticket there are 10 more ready to buy regardless of win /loss records. Heck Mr.Katz can move the damn team if he wanted too and hire his grandma as Head coach it doesn’t matter what fans think. You do not like people running your own business or getting into it so im sure team owners dont like it either. If anyone needs a talking to here is Kevin lowe he has continued on with bad judgements and signings ,not mac T. The poor guy is only working with what he is given. Just like when you go to work , for example if your a mechanic and you don’t got a wrench it’s going to be mighty hard to turn that nut by hand.But you will try with all your will power to get it off. But sometimes it just doesn’t work. (mAc T is only working with the tools he is given . Kevin Lowe Seized everything.

#41 Sandra
April 03 2009, 11:28AM

I bet Brian Burke is having a great laugh at the Oilers expense now, just seeing what a dysfunctional group it is. All Oiler fans should be embarassed. We are the ones who support this team. With out the fans there is nothing. We stood up for Lowe when Burke ripped the Organization, And to talk about moving it? No chance in hell will Batman let it move, we have to support the coyotes and Predators. This team is in a huge mess and I don't see it all "repaired" this time next year, when all the contracts, including Hemsky are another year less, players older and we wait for Gagner who will flee once he gets a chance.

#42 FlamesFan
April 03 2009, 11:28AM

I'm a Scientist! wrote:

*swallows his pride…and maybe any common sense* I agree with FlamesFan… *shiver*

*pats you on the back* "its gonna be okay"

#43 RossCreek
April 03 2009, 11:37AM

jdrevenge wrote:

@ moose66: moose66 wrote: That’s how disillusioned you are when saying a couple of hundred Oilers fans! Don’t you have your own fan blog to go too? Lol… friggin flames fans. This is what they do when the Oil start tanking. I know this cuz we’ve seen it alot over the last few years. Its in their blood to avenge their losses of years past just before the playoffs start… Before the C on the jersey doesnt stand for Calgary anymore.

*Even when sour, leave it to Oil fan to trot out there 5 Stanley Cups. Does that mean the Leafs are better? Didn't think so.*

The City of Past Champions

Ooooh...ahhh...wow...look at them

#44 Rick
April 03 2009, 11:38AM

Jonathan Willis wrote:

On the other hand, Katz’s comments were on whether the head coach would be retained or not, and the guy who should be the driving force behind that decision is the GM, Steve Tambellini. The fact that Lowe held the conference would seem to indicate that Lowe still has more say than Tambellini in whether MacTavish gets to keep his job.

But the distinction I am making is that KLowe didn't address MacT's future, he only addressed the so called reasoning behind Katz's comment.

In fact I thought Lowe almost came off sounding clumsy (I usually find him quite well spoken in front of the camera) in the way he was answering the questions because he went to such great lengths of deflecting what was being asked so that there wasn't an indicator one way or the other in terms of what hockey ops is or was leaning towards.

I agree with those that have suggested that the organization seemed very much caught off guard by what went down last night.

At least from the part I heard so maybe I stand to be corrected.

I agree that if the presser was actually about MacT's future as a coach that Tambellini should have been the guy front and center.

As an aside, I have seen a couple references about comments made about CHED and Stauffer looking like he had been held over a grill at the presser. Like I said I didn't (and can't right now) listen to the comments so can someone summarize it for me?

#45 jdrevenge
April 03 2009, 11:42AM

@ FlamesFan:

I'm not saying that Mac is the problem. They guy has obviously run into some sh*t luck this year combined with the inconsistency of the young guys and the divisions of the room.

What I was taking issue with was that you said that I could stop watching and that they don't work for me. Ultimately without gate revenue and profit from goods sold with the Oilers logo on it bought by us the fans we wouldnt even be having this discussion. They cannot act like a dictatorship regime and need to start listening a little more to the voice of the ON.

If we want to discuss the future of the coach we are allowed to and the fact that the PR of the Oilers is trying to hush this is retarded. Its been a bad year for the organization in regards to its fan base and if they're smart they'll take a look in the mirror and realize that they did it to themselves not the other way around. Admittedly the fans/media have made a habit of running people out of town that may or may not have deserved it but thats for us to discuss and for them to listen. Collectively 75000 should be able to come up with a more balanced decision than the 3/4 running the franchise. Granted we dont have privy to the room and the personalities off the ice but at teh very least they shouldnt be trying to curb our fanaticism by telling us that we shouldnt be discussing things.

#46 I'm a Scientist!
April 03 2009, 11:43AM

FlamesFan wrote:

*pats you on the back* “its gonna be okay”

It touched me!!! IT TOUCHED ME.... get it offffffff...get it offfffffffff. Is it still on me? It's still on me isn't it...GET IT OFF! Anyone? Am i going to survive? IEEEEEE.....

*looks cautiously around the room only to see FlamesFan still watching him*

AHHHHHHHH!

#47 FlamesFan
April 03 2009, 11:53AM

I'm a Scientist! wrote:

FlamesFan wrote: *pats you on the back* “its gonna be okay” SHREIIIIIK *runs away convulsing and shivering with a look of terror on his face* It touched me!!! IT TOUCHED ME…. get it offffffff…get it offfffffffff. Is it still on me? It’s still on me isn’t it…GET IT OFF! Anyone? Am i going to survive? IEEEEEE….. *looks cautiously around the room only to see FlamesFan still watching him* AHHHHHHHH!

it is still here mwahahahahahahha

#48 Sandra
April 03 2009, 11:54AM

Nice Quote from Cogs on Barnes article

"They seem to get it, but Andrew Cogliano was struggling with it. He talked about a "negative energy" from the fans and media and said he was reluctant to leave his house for a couple of days, given the mood in the community. He needs to chill, to embrace life in the fishbowl even when the water is choppy"

#49 Sandra
April 03 2009, 11:57AM

Oilers sit not available today

#50 BarryS
April 03 2009, 12:54PM

I think it would be good to remember the current oiler organization is not yet a year old. Even though many of the worker bees are the same, it will take some time for the reorientation of operating mandate to take effect. You don't just go from survival, living from day to day, mode to long term sure of tomorrow type of planning. I|t is to be expected for the organization to be a little confused and disoriented at the moment since the ground rules have totally changed. The players we have were all signed under the mind set of the old organization and some decisions made would not be made under current ownership conditions, i.e. pay to much for players like Horcoff, letting players go, canceling farm teams etc. Whether KLowe and the others can adapt to the new conditions is a moot point at the moment but the owner, the most important opinion, seems to think they will. I don't know about you all, but if my financial situation suddenly improved 100% I expect I would regret some decisions made in the past and make a few more while getting used to the new circumstances. This summer will begin to tell the tale, operationally, even if they don't fire the coach.