More talk on texting

Jason Gregor
April 03 2009 11:36AM

katz22

After watching and listening to Kevin Lowe’s comments last night, it is clear to me that change within the organization is coming. The Oilers played one of their better games of the season last night, yet they still lost, and coupled with the Blues and Ducks’ victories, it is clear that the off-season will start April 12th for the Oilers, and that the changes will follow soon after.

Lowe didn’t state once that his coach would be here next year. He didn’t say he wouldn’t be, but the fact there was no, “Craig will be here without a doubt”, type statement to me it is clear that there will be a change behind the bench.

Lowe’s opening statement actually made a lot of sense

“Daryl is an extremely passionate and emotional about the game. He said he was extremely disappointed and somewhat frustrated that we are in the middle of a playoff race and all the discussion and the focus was on the future of our head coach. He found that odd and he wanted to suppress that once and for all.”

The Owner cares about the team. We know that. He has admitted he is a true fan, and will continue to be one. He is also very respectful of both Lowe and MacTavish. I can understand if he was pissed that before another must win game, the talk was about whether the coach would be here next year or not and not the actual game. That is not the message the host broadcaster should be saying. Fine. Understandable.

The organization will not drag their coach through the mud. They won’t have him be Dead Coach Walking for the final four games of the season. I get that. We all know there has to be a change behind the bench, but Katz wants his coach to leave with some dignity. The problem is that one simple text has now thrown more attention on the coaching situation than ever before. His one sentence text did the exact opposite of what he wanted; reduce the focus on MacTavish.

Most of us have regretted sending that drunken, late-night text to an ex. At one in the morning it seems like a great idea, but the next day when she thinks you are back together and making you breakfast, you slap yourself muttering…”What was I thinking?” Texting, while convenient, allows many of us to say things too quickly, especially guys. The consequences of our actions are an after thought, or most times we don’t even calculate what they will be.

This is what happened to Katz. It just confirms he is human like the rest of us.

The difference is when we send a ill-advised late night text it effects one or two, or maybe three people on a good night..haha. Katz’s text resonates across an entire city; a city that is frustrated and fed up with another spring without playoffs. Of course the fans and media are going to talk about the coach’s future. It is a hot topic and one that was, in fact, brought to light by MacTavish himself earlier this week.

The winds of change are in the air, and while every player, coach, manager and owner has to believe they can still get to the dance, the fact is they won’t. No one in Edmonton wants their playoff fix to come solely from other cities and through the TV. Even those who oppose a new rink get caught up with playoff fever when it grips a city.

I respect that Mr. Katz didn’t want his coach to suffer through talk about his future while the team still has a mathematical chance of making the postseason. Having a boss that wants to shelter an employee is refreshing, but his text backfired.

Now, after another loss, all the focus will be on change

And there will be changes. I will be stunned if MacTavish doesn’t resign. Every level of the organization will be evaluated this summer, and there will be changes in the scouting department, coaching and on the ice. Their scouting needs to improve. A new voice is needed behind the bench, and some veterans and even a youngster or two will be moved.

It is inevitable, especially when you are one of the highest spending teams, but have missed the playoffs three years running. If the owner doesn’t want it talked about until the team is officially eliminated, that shows he isn’t a quitter, however, as we have all experienced ourselves, an ill-timed text can fuel a fire much quicker than an actual conversation.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#51 Dennis
April 03 2009, 02:26PM

Jason Gregor wrote:

Jonathan Willis wrote: Is Prendergast in any trouble given the crap seasons in Springfield the last two years? In a word yes. You heard it here first. Don’t be surprised if he takes the fall. He is not the sole reason for the disappointment in Springfield or the failure of draft picks (because every team has failures at the draft table) but he lots of say in both departments. This next bit is pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if he is a bit miffed that he didn’t get Tambellini’s GM post this past summer. KP has been in the organization a long time, and I’ll bet he would have liked that opportunity. But when you look at positions that need changing in this organization, he is one. Dennis wrote: For instance, our play at EV is fine - it’s good enough to make the playoffs - and our PP’s even good enough to take us there. But the PK’s horrible and the approach never changes and Roli’s running on fumes and here we are. Dennis their PK and PP are both 28th at home this year. How is the PP any better? Their home record and special teams are the MAIN reason they aren’t in the playoffs. You are right that their PK system hasn’t adapted during the year, but their PP hasn’t either. They still never employ anybody in the low or high slot. We can all debate about energy, consistency, leadership, etc…but after all is said and done their special teams is the main reason why they are in a position to get a top 10 draft choice.

It's Friday so, yeah, let's agree for once:) On the grand scheme, I think the PP was certainly more palatable than the PK but if you're just looking at the home record, maybe you're on to something.

#52 SquidRx
April 03 2009, 02:27PM

Archaeologuy wrote:

SquidRx wrote: @ Amber: Yeah, you’re right. That makes sense. Who do you think his 5 are? Tony Stark, Dr. Doom, Lex Luthor, Professor X, and Craig MacTavish

Nice list. I was stuck at 4: Warren Buffet, Eugene Melnyk, Baggedmilk, and DeepOil.

#53 mazola
April 03 2009, 02:27PM

This seems to be one big misunderstanding.

KLowe was right, Katz is passionate about the game and, like all fans, has opinions and predications of what will happen to the Oil, now and in the off-season.

When he texted his message to Bob Stauffer, it wasn't meant as an official media release (as was pointed out, the Oilers have a PR team to do that), but rather he texted his opinion to Stauffer as a friend.

None was more surprised than Katz himself when Stauffer broadcast the message, as evidenced by Katz's follow-up reply:

"zOMG WTF BBQ ?!?!"

Case closed.

#54 Jack "FMNF" Bauer
April 03 2009, 02:28PM

"In the past couple of weeks, both Ales Hemsky and Sheldon Souray —Edmonton’s two best players"

What did Souray say?

#55 Antony Ta
April 03 2009, 02:31PM

Jonathan Willis wrote:

As another disappointing season wraps up we look ahead to what will surely be the biggest summer of change in the OilersNation in a long time. If you don’t believe me, ask Brownlee, we exchanged texts this morning. Biggest summer of change since 2006 - when Pronger, Dvorak, Peca, Spacek, Samsonov, Ulanov, Tarnstrom and Conklin all left town? Or since 2007, which saw the departure of Sykora, Lupul, Tjarnqvist, Smith, Nedved, Hejda, Winchester and Markkanen following the trade deadline departures of Smyth and Bergeron? Or since last summer, where Stoll, Pitkanen, Reasoner, Glencross, Sanderson, Torres and Greene all departed? Let’s face it - the problems with the Oilers haven’t been caused by a lack of change. And this would need to be a very busy summer to overshadow the previous three. The problems have been caused by a) developing youth and b) the wrong kind of change more than anything else.

@ Jonathan Willis:

Perhaps he means in by measure of magnitude and not in terms of the numbers of parts moved. Could be as startling as Hemsky being traded or as unimpressive as making DesLauriers #1 - different types of changes with similar magnitude. Hell, we might even sign Jay Bo - but then we'd have too many D-men.

#56 Dennis
April 03 2009, 02:35PM

Jack "FMNF" Bauer wrote:

@ Dennis: Your as bad as Deep Oil and his constant year long crusade about Katz and Mackesson. Give it a rest. Post something new.

You mean things like why the Garon trade left us thin at netminding, why the PK wasn't changed and why certain players played certain roles?

Things like that?

I've been posting that stuff all season.

#57 Archaeologuy
April 03 2009, 02:35PM

@ SquidRx: Deepoil is just his alter ego, designed to throw people like Wanye off their games. For Brownlee and Gregor he is Dennis, and for Willis he randomly chimes in about the invalidity of Corsi numbers under different names. When you have over a billion dollars this is what you do with your time. When you arent hunting the Sasquatch.

#58 Dennis
April 03 2009, 02:36PM

Jack "FMNF" Bauer wrote:

“In the past couple of weeks, both Ales Hemsky and Sheldon Souray —Edmonton’s two best players” What did Souray say?

I just went looking for Spector's latest piece on Katz and saw something from mar 31st where Souray talked about MacT's quotes about the expectations for this year.

So maybe that's what he's talking about.

#59 Rick
April 03 2009, 02:37PM

JB wrote:

Whoa! Check out Marc Spector carving the owner on Sportsnet. So that explains the unexplainable Horcoff contract. Great.

Wow that's some article.

I wonder if that also helps explain the disconnect in the dressing room.

Either way, no a good week for Katz's image in this town.

#60 yo
April 03 2009, 02:41PM

Well written Jason. It is the kind of thing I felt could have been said in November but when I said it here it was soundly rejected. I feel both Lowe and MacT need to carry the can for this boondogle of an organization. If Steve Tambellini is allowed to do his job and build not just the team but the whole organization then we will see progress. A fresh perspective is overdue. This incestuous ex-Oiler situation needs to be brought to a swift end.

Katz, in my opinion, has indeed shown an impulsive side based on blind loyalty to the 'Boys on the Bus' and that is truly disturbing. He has shown how little he is in touch with the common fan. He is an absentee owner for the most part who doesn't 'get it'. His kind of wealth insulates him from even his own roots and I think the fans are going to have to send him a wake-up call of some kind. He can be buddies with whomever he wants but when it comes to Oilers hockey we want a winner not an old boys club lead by a charitable mega-bucks employer of 1980's ex-Oilers players.

Articles recently published suggest we should limit our expectations of a new arena. That arena won't happen in our lifetimes it's just more rich-guy hot air.

#61 Ogden Brother
April 03 2009, 02:43PM

Jack "FMNF" Bauer wrote:

@ FlamesFan: The whole management needs to be blown up and started from scratch. This team has an auroa of being losers and deadbeats. Its the reason why we can throw all the millions at the world at a guy and yet theyll take 4 million less for another team. Its hard for me to fully judge since im not in the league, but I cant imagine the teams reputation is very good throughout the league.

It might be PART of the reason why players don't want to come here... but I'd bet it's a very small part.

#62 smytty777
April 03 2009, 02:51PM

Jason Gregor wrote:

#63 SquidRx
April 03 2009, 02:51PM

Dennis wrote:

@ SquidRx: I’m glad you approved, bud! The whole time i was typing that response, I was hoping that it would please you. Regarding the peanut butter - which is good for your heart BTW:) - there’s no one here that can “trap” me, if that’s what your alluding to:) And certainly not the guy you’re probably referring to:D Anyway, it’s not a dead horse because the media have been taking it for so long that it’s obvious to anyone that wants to see it. I posted what I thought was improvement today just to show I was fair. If today’s fare could be considered typical, you’d hear nary a peep from me about the media; objectivity wouldn’t be an issue.

If you're spending your time writing posts in search of my praise you could better spend it slamming your c*ck in a car door. I.e. it would not be time well spent. I am not suggesting in anyway that you should actually slam said member in any car door or other such hard closing device, it is just an analogy. :) I wasn't really interested in you being trapped per se rather just the metaphorical pain associated with the snapping of that little bar down on your tongue and the amusement it offers to the members of the Nation. I am glad you think you are being ever so noble in your acknowledgement of the improved MSM, but the way you go about it is the dead horse booting of which I speak. Why use the terminology that they grew a set of balls, thus insinuating that they were less than men before hand. Why not simply state that you appreciate the fact that you thought it was better writing than what has previously appeared. Instead you take the opportunity to insult and belittle. That's the dead horse, and in my opinion it is a tired subject. *steps off soapbox*

#64 Chris
April 03 2009, 03:03PM

This is the most puzzling Oilers roster I have ever seen, or commented on, in thirty years. I was SURE the Oilers were going to give a complete sixty minute effort effort against the Ducks... I didn't know if they could win; but I was 100% sure the effort would be there! I was wrong. It follows that the effort would be spotty against the Sharks; after all, maybe this roster simply lacks the character to bring a full sixty minutes... So naturally, the Oilers bring a complete game. Yeah, they lost... But if the Mighty Oil had played like that every night, against every opponent: the Oilers would be up in Calgary's kitchen.

All year long, I have complained about MacT: convinced that he was making basic roster mistakes. All year long, I pitched my own ideas of how to make things better. (ie I'm the guy who was convinced Kotalik didn't belong on the left side with Hemsky, and that O'Sullivan should be played there...) But the fact is, nothing I suggested would have worked with this group either. MacT tried everything (AND I MEAN EVERYTHING) and nothing ever seemed to worked well for more than a couple of games at a time. He, along with everyone who also loves this franchise, has had a miserable year. If I ran into MacT at a bar right now; I would tip my hat to him for trying. Thanks MacT! You lived this nightmare every minute, of every day, for seven long months. You never stopped trying to find that elusive mix that would lead the Oilers to the expected level of success. This group of Oiler players, have been simply IMPOSSIBLE to figure out! How could ANYBODY be expected to successfully coach, or gameplan for such an enigmatic group? Talk about Jeckyl and Hyde...

Many say the Oilers lack identity. Well THEY are wrong. This group is the living personification of the motto of their creator: "Expect The Unexpected!"

I'm sure MacT will move up, or move on this summer... Wouldn't you?

#65 the claw
April 03 2009, 03:06PM

whoa whoa. does anyone here actually believe that anyone in the oilers organization is going to get fired? i sure don't. moved around, promoted out of their current position, or resign? maybe. but fired? no way.

*goes back into bitter cave of bitterness*

#66 AlBundy
April 03 2009, 03:20PM

Does anyone think that Dan and Bob are in trouble as it was their pre game show with no callers that started all of this? I think but not sure, that they are paid by Katz. At the end of the year could they both be gone?

#67 sittingatmydesk
April 03 2009, 03:22PM

im so glad im going to mexico.... wont have to suffer watching the oilers, way to painful......

#68 Dennis
April 03 2009, 03:23PM

Squid: it looks like your opinion is wrong:)

Today's offerings where only so noteworthy in that they were so dissimilar from what you'd usually read.

I won't lump everyone into the same group but if those who read the papers and think they're getting objective fare are the same ones who are amused by my bemusement over what passes as reporting, then the connecting dots say more than anyone ever could.

Have a nice weekend!

#69 AlBundy
April 03 2009, 03:30PM

If the dressing room is known around the league as a dressing room divided(as per Bob MacKenzie this morning on with Bryne and Jake), who are the players causing the divide?

#70 Archaeologuy
April 03 2009, 03:31PM

AlBundy wrote:

who are the players causing the divide?

I blame Sean Avery

#71 AlBundy
April 03 2009, 03:34PM

Ha ha, good one. It's going to be an interesting weekend to see what is going on. @ Archaeologuy:

#72 Jack "FMNF" Bauer
April 03 2009, 03:49PM

@ Dennis:

How can someones opinion be wrong? That is not possible. His point that you cant seem to grasp is that although you managed to piece together something legible and coherent, you still couldnt resist the tired old, "THE MSM HAS NO BALLS" reference.

"I won’t lump everyone into the same group but if those who read the papers and think they’re getting objective fare are the same ones who are amused by my bemusement over what passes as reporting, then the connecting dots say more than anyone ever could."

Deep Oil?

#73 Mike Krushelnyski
April 03 2009, 03:50PM

swany wrote:

Mike Krushelnyski wrote: Yes, exactly. Coaching success is measured by results, that’s why we want ours gone. Agreed but what happens with the new coach when the results are the same or maybe worse, answer that one.

Then that would really suck, but the Oilers can't just sit around and do nothing because a new coach might do worse.

#74 SquidRx
April 03 2009, 04:01PM

Dennis wrote:

Squid: it looks like your opinion is wrong:)

Then in my opinion you are an intelligent and creative writer whose prose stands out above any other written word I have ever happened upon.

A pleasent weekend to you as well!

#75 george
April 03 2009, 04:05PM

I, for one, think that Katz's text - though somewhat ill-timed is refreshing. If - as K-Lowe said - Katz and his wife were driving to the game like many other fans, and that the text was sent out of passion, or frustration or whatever - I like that. It proves that Daryl - a billionaire three times over is human too. Like Edmontonians, he is passionate. Have you ever been fired up so much that you call up a sports talk show and read them the riot act? Or perhaps you lay into one of your best friends. Upon later introspection, you may have wondered why you did it? But the fact is that you did. Emotions can't be conrolled. This is the human condition. Yesterdays little gaffe from Mr.Katz shows that Edmonton has an owner who is as passionate and sometimes knee jerky like the rest of us. Is that a bad thing at the end of the day? I don't think so.

#76 Harlie
April 03 2009, 04:10PM

why does everyone assume that Katz sent the text in a moment of haste without thought to consequence?

To me this was Katz telling Stauff to can the negative talk on MacT. As jason mentioned Katz was driving into the game listening to Ched and he hears Stauff bellowing on and on about MacT's head being on the line and he probably was embarrassed in front of his kids and Wifey or whoever the hell was with him. And he's thinking to himself, geez I hire Bob away from 1260 because he laid a daily beatdown on the Oilers and he puts him on payroll and tries to muzzle him up a bit yet get his audience from the team. Problem is that Bob is converting some of the Ched herd into his diatribe against the Oil and boom Katz goes off and sends a text to Bob. being a lawyer he knew he needed to leave a short message that could be open to any interpretation one wanted. This way he still has wiggle room to say it meant something than it came across, he gives Bob a kick in the ass and he grabs the back of his Head Coach moments before a crucial game.

#77 Jorge
April 03 2009, 04:11PM

yay top ten draft pick right guys? lets keep the team losing

#78 swany
April 03 2009, 04:25PM

Dennis wrote:

just went looking for Spector’s latest piece on Katz and saw something from mar 31st where Souray talked about MacT’s quotes about the expectations for this year. So maybe that’s what he’s talking about.

To bad he can't get his #'s right Horc is a 5.5 mil cap hit NOT 6.5 that's a big diffrence (still a bad deal though)on Sourays comments there is no need to ask if Mact is back or not he's done just like the season. You can't have Hemmer, and Souray questioning the coach like that and still keep him he will resign to be the Ass to the president of hockey ops.

#79 Amber
April 03 2009, 04:25PM

SquidRx wrote:

@ Amber: Yeah, you’re right. That makes sense. Who do you think his 5 are?

If rumours are true, his 5 are

-Souray's hair -Penner's left eye - Horc's right ear - MacT's shortcomings - Craig Simpson's fancy 'end of the roll' commercial dress pants

#80 DK0
April 03 2009, 04:41PM

@ Amber: And now we know why Hemsky feels left out :( He's not even in Katz's 5.

#81 deepoil
April 03 2009, 04:45PM

Archaeologuy wrote:

AlBundy wrote: who are the players causing the divide? I blame Sean Avery

That is impossible - Robin Brownlee provided consulting to DOHO KLOWE - Tambo need not apply / listen and called him a cancer - let Slats take him instead..... it worked out for the better of MSG..... as per Larry Brooks who has a love hate or love love relationship with Torts.

#82 deepoil
April 03 2009, 04:48PM

offside wrote:

Are the Oilers the new Maple Leafs?

for the next 40 years

#83 deepoil
April 03 2009, 04:49PM

smytty777 wrote:

Jason Gregor wrote: In a word yes. You heard it here first. Don’t be surprised if he takes the fall. Pure speculation, but is this perhaps a role that Mac T can fill next year if Prendergast is on the way out?

Working for the Edmonton Capitals is an option in terms of job reclassification.

#84 deepoil
April 03 2009, 04:54PM

Maybe katz was in london or the french riveria and was drunk dialing late at night to the real GM - Bob Stauffer (not joking - no sarcasm button).... this reminds me of an opposite situation where Britney Spears breaks up with KFED and texts him with the words - We're Done.

If you are a passionate billionaire - a text seems very distant, a telegram would of shown undying love or a video conference on OILERVISION taking q and a's from the webcast......

#85 AlBundy
April 03 2009, 05:02PM

Leafs are only 4 points behind Oil with a game in hand

#86 deepoil
April 03 2009, 05:09PM

AlBundy wrote:

Leafs are only 4 points behind Oil with a game in hand

and have missed the playoffs the last 5 years and no cups since 67

#87 Sandra
April 03 2009, 05:53PM

I see deepoil is back with his old tactics

#88 Sandra
April 03 2009, 06:08PM

On Spectors blog, What was MacT supposed to say, we are lucky if we make the playoffs?, As for Souray, I can see him traded with his comments(he might have been the vetran who said it was time for a change). He didn't do his part after the allstar game and a "spanking" from Colin. Willis what are the stats of Souray after the allstar break. I guess that fight did more harm to him than we thought.

#89 Rob
April 03 2009, 06:12PM

Regarding your comments on Katz' silence. There is a difference between having a hair-trigger lip and living in a sound proof oak-paneled office wreathed in clouds of glory atop Mount Darryl. He hasn't been videoed at games as far as I can recall or giving any kind of a state of the Oil address, solo or in conjunction with KLowe or Tambo. Nada,zip,zilch,none.

It's turning into a rather stilted and uncomfortable relationship between Katz and the fans. That makes his text message all the more weird...laconic more than cryptic. Cryptic implies secret underlying meaning not obvious to the hearer. 'That ain't going to be good for anybody'. (Seinfeld Chicken Roaster episode)

#90 Jonathan Willis
April 03 2009, 06:21PM

Sandra wrote:

Willis what are the stats of Souray after the allstar break.

Pre All-Star Game: 45GP - 12G - 19A - 31PTS, +1 Post All-Star Game: 32GP - 9G - 8A - 17PTS, -4

Or to stretch both over an 82 game season:

PRE: 82GP - 22G - 35A - 57PTS, +2 POST: 82GP - 23G - 21A - 44PTS, -10

But I don't think it's the fight; this really isn't the same team without Lubomir Visnovsky, IMO.

#91 deepoil
April 03 2009, 06:43PM

Jack "FMNF" Bauer wrote:

@ Dennis: How can someones opinion be wrong? That is not possible. His point that you cant seem to grasp is that although you managed to piece together something legible and coherent, you still couldnt resist the tired old, “THE MSM HAS NO BALLS” reference. The only thing that is dissimilar about your post is the day it is posted on, otherwise its the same tired old BS that we are sick of reading. “I won’t lump everyone into the same group but if those who read the papers and think they’re getting objective fare are the same ones who are amused by my bemusement over what passes as reporting, then the connecting dots say more than anyone ever could.” Deep Oil?

24 - this went over my head - this founder of rexall and partner of mckesson is breaking multiple rules of owner or pretend owner 101.....

You have to follow a pattern - being yourself just doesn't work..... who are you....???

1) Harold Ballard - nope - too old stream 2) Eugene Melnyk - nope - look at me 3) Peter Puck - nope - Puck likes to win lose - no middle ground.... 4) Nelson Skalbania - possibly - shell game 5) Len Barrie - possibly - OPM - other people's money 6) George Gillette - nope - two bankruptcies by GG 7) Frank Anschultz - nope - stock option fraud SEC 8) Jim Baisillie - media whore (smile) nhl bridesmaid - this seems to be the opposite of DK...

What we have here is the globalization of Rexall via NHL expansion for branding, tax loss (possible), and control of downtown Edmonton for $100mm to be immediately recouped for personal seat licenses, pouring rights, corporate boxes, and real estate control and commissions.

Nice play for the founder of Rexall - Dave from Wendy's would be proud...... everything is cool on the financial side as Mckesson is in control - IT IS OBVIOUS THAT the owner had a brain fart and either by accident or on purpose sent the info to Stauffer and instructed him to let it out of the jar.....

Problem here is the info was not cleansed by Allan Watt leaving a bad taste for everyone and I mean everyone from the broadcast team, klowe, tambo, and the media... this is a major fart that ended up being wet....

End result - Terry Jones quote that this doesn't sound like a billionaire is possibly very true.... and McKesson just left the puppet out and forgot that pinochio can talk on his own.......

#92 Jack "FMNF" Bauer
April 03 2009, 06:52PM

@ deepoil:

Sorry, you lost me at

#91 deepoil April 3 2009, 6:43 pm.

#93 Phil
April 03 2009, 07:32PM

smytty777 wrote:

My honest opinion is that MacTavish would be fine - not just fine, probably great - in a management role.

He is an intelligent man and I think he knows exactly what the team needs for now and in the future.

I know he's been hard for the fans to handle at times throughout the year, he's been frustrating to say the least, but I think in an assistant VP or assistant GM role, I wouldn't be too concerned.

If he left altogether and was flat out fire however, it wouldn't bother me either.

#94 Firemactandkloweallready!
April 03 2009, 10:14PM

Can someone tell me what is going on? What happened to this great hockey organization? we used to be one of the best now we are becoming a joke around the NHL,I am sure glad the lock out changed things around here? What if Tambalini resigns? Because of Katz I think he was promoised a bunch of goods and his buddy K Lowe let him down.If that happens we are in serious trouble, If you thought losing Pronger after one year hurt wait till our GM goes no players or management will want to come here.

#95 deepoil
April 04 2009, 07:47AM

Jack "FMNF" Bauer wrote:

@ deepoil: Sorry, you lost me at #91 deepoil April 3 2009, 6:43 pm.

maybe the founder of rexall and according to Terry Jones not acting like a billionaire is having trouble adjusting to the rules of being an nhl owner.....

this would of played out much better if Rexall was presented as the owner of the club instead of presenting DK - how many people vent their anger in nyc at james dolan (msg)- doesn't work ...... you can't shut people and the media out in Edmonton - doesn't wotk - people and MSM have started to carve Katz a new orface and the poop hasn't really hit the fan yet....

bottom line is the founder does not know who he is, and is having some difficulty being the head of a public trust nhl club where you are accountable at the end of the day when your management and players let you down - where the buck stops here..... in comparison...being the founder of a drug store - when you have a (penner) dog on your shelf (like cold fx) - the media is not ripping you on why you haven't dropped that product as it is taking up valuable shelf space..... no cap space in the retail world.... and other choices suchs as shoppers or london drugs..... no other major league choice in Edmonton.

Monopolies create power and we all know that power corrupts (not original i know) - so is it fair to say that the Oiler organization is arrogant and walks with a swagger even in times of peril....

Rexall is a closed shop - private company - stay out... Rexall Sports cannot play by the same rules and this founder is going to learn the hard way.... the natives are more than restless....