GDB79: A chip and a chair

Wanye
April 04 2009 06:10PM

blackjack-en

Sometimes you find yourself walking into a casino and you tell yourself "Self - you have exactly $100 to play with tonight. Ok, if you really want to you can also hit up the ATM for another $100 but seriously that's it." Then you blast through the first hundo, hit up the ATM twice for a pair of centuries and find yourself sitting at the table with $40 you borrowed off your buddy. It's just you and the dealer and the two of you know it's time for one thing and one thing only.

The miracle gambler's run.

We have a buddy Smigs who is the master at the one-in-a-million-bounce-back-run. The run where they call the pit boss over and Security first pats you down and then sends you through a portable MRI machine they bring out on to the gaming floor. After a few minutes of trying to figure out how you are beating the system they come to the horrific realization. You aren't cheating with secret electronic devices. You aren't counting cards nor is the dealer playing with a marked deck.

You are just that lucky.

Even a garbage can gets a steak on occasion Nation. And that is basically what we are looking for tonight. The Oil have maxed out the proverbial ATM, borrowed cash of everyone they could and they sit at the black jack table down  to their last chip. But the wonderful thing about gambling and having a 0.0015% chance of making the playoffs is that you aren't out until you have absolutely nothing left. As long as you can steal from the waitresses tip jar, as long as you can pray for a influeza epedemic to hit St. Louis, as long as you have a whisper of a chance it ain't over.

It's all you really need. A chip and a chair - and you can bring it all back from the dead. You repay all your buddies, graciously overtip the waitress you robbed earlier, tip the dealer and bounce from the casino with your wallet stuffed full of Bordens. It don't happen every day and it don't happen to everybody.

But it can happen.

So bring on the Vancouver Canucks and their army of hippie Sedin-loving fans. What do we collectively have to lose?

Chip and a chair.

Right Smigs?

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 Smokin' Ray - NNC
April 04 2009, 06:14PM

GAME DAY!!! Woooooooo! Go Oilers!

What?

#2 David S
April 04 2009, 06:18PM

Did you check with Willis about that .0015%? You know, he's not that big on luck and momentum. ;)

Nice first post Ray! I'm waitin' for Towel Boy to chirp in with "Lets.....!!!©"

#3 Librarian Mike
April 04 2009, 06:22PM

What the Hell, go Oilers.

At the very least maybe Souray can break the Sedin sisters over his knee out of sheer frustration.

#4 Tankit4Tavares
April 04 2009, 06:22PM

Yeah, the Oil are totally in it. They have about as much chance of making the playoffs as I do of winning this ugly as SH!t toyota when I roll up the rim to win... OMFG! I just won! A DONUT! DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES?!!

#5 Mr P
April 04 2009, 07:25PM

I love Mactavish

#6 Mr P
April 04 2009, 07:32PM

No really I do

#7 David S
April 04 2009, 08:11PM

Mr P wrote:

No really I do

No, you love KOTALIK!!!!!!

#8 David S
April 04 2009, 08:31PM

Holy crap. Am I missing a beer sale at Hudson's or something?

#9 17
April 04 2009, 08:56PM

What's happened so far? Been out and about with Mr. 17.

#10 David S
April 04 2009, 09:09PM

There as a fire MacT rally at the LRT entrance today at 4:00. Maybe all the boys went down and got themselves overnight accommodations at the crowbar motel.

#11 David S
April 04 2009, 09:11PM

*The LRT entrance at RX1

#12 Harlie
April 04 2009, 09:19PM

"Even a garbage can gets a steak sometimes" :) ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great GDB Wanye!

#13 Harlie
April 04 2009, 09:21PM

@ 17:

Storts got his ass handed to him from Rypien.

#14 17
April 04 2009, 09:36PM

crap, I missed the first goal cause I was out, and the second cause I had to try on a dress.

#15 David S
April 04 2009, 09:41PM

OK. We're up 2, the game's here in Edmonton and Kyle Wellwood is the 2nd period interview. Looks like CBC has even written us off.

#16 Harlie
April 04 2009, 09:43PM

17 wrote:

don't you normally try on the dress before you go out?

#17 17
April 04 2009, 09:48PM

@ Harlie:

haha. yes. I had to go out to pick up the dress, which I tried on once I got back home. Bridesmaid dress.

#18 17
April 04 2009, 09:55PM

just watched the Stortini fight - the little girl in the front row was hilarious. She was totally into it.

#19 Harlie
April 04 2009, 09:55PM

@ 17:

yes thanks for reminding me that wedding season is coming up. Every spring-summer the last few years there's been 2-5 weddings. Tire!

#20 17
April 04 2009, 09:57PM

@ Harlie:

So far, just one wedding this year for me. And it's for my sister. Thankfully it's just the reception this time around, the actual marriage was in January.

#21 Harlie
April 04 2009, 09:57PM

these throwback uni's look so vivid in HD. Awesome color scheme.

#22 Wanye Gretz (mobile)
April 04 2009, 09:58PM

Wow. 19 comments.

Who says the bandwagon is empty!!

*looks over at Oilers front office staffer who is pointing a gun at head*

#23 17
April 04 2009, 10:02PM

hahaha Luongo didn't even make the save and the Canuck fans still chant 'Loooooooou' I want to punch them all.

#24 David S
April 04 2009, 10:07PM

Geez Staios got pwned by Sundin. Weeeeak!

#25 Harlie
April 04 2009, 10:12PM

@ Wanye Gretz (mobile):

that Oiler's staffer must have wanted a good ole' ass bleaching pretty bad.

#26 17
April 04 2009, 10:13PM

WOWOWOW GAGNER

#27 Harlie
April 04 2009, 10:13PM

GAG ME WITH A SPOON!

#28 David S
April 04 2009, 10:14PM

GAGNER!!!!!! Whatever that boy wants - GIVE IT TO HIM!

#29 Harlie
April 04 2009, 10:17PM

@ 17:

that's cool if it's your Sis' wedding. Seeing as the wedding part is done, all thats left to do is party!

#30 17
April 04 2009, 10:19PM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#31 Harlie
April 04 2009, 10:21PM

Staios turn your fricken head! Don't look at the puck holder or anything! he could have intercepted that pass!!

#32 17
April 04 2009, 10:23PM

YAY SHELDON *swoon*

#33 Harlie
April 04 2009, 10:24PM

SHELL DRILLS FOR THE OIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#34 David S
April 04 2009, 10:24PM

Hemsky + Gagner = Magic

#35 freeze
April 04 2009, 10:32PM

it just looked like MacT threw up a little in his mouth after that goal.

#36 Harlie
April 04 2009, 10:37PM

nice hustle from Hemmer.

#37 17
April 04 2009, 10:37PM

WIN!

#38 17
April 04 2009, 10:39PM

Why couldn't they have played like this for, oh, I dunno, the whole season?

#39 David S
April 04 2009, 10:39PM

Crawford is such a Vancouver homer it's just sad. If you're listening to this on a radio, you'd swear the Canucks were winning.

#40 jeanshorts
April 04 2009, 10:45PM

Hey guy's I just got home, what did I mis....OH MY GOD THAT GAGNER GOAL JUST MADE MY DICK EXPLODE!!!!!!!!!

I always miss the great games. God dammit.

#41 David S
April 04 2009, 10:45PM

17 wrote:

Why couldn’t they have played like this for, oh, I dunno, the whole season?

Here's what theCAPTAINethanmoreau says about it in the Journal today...

"You can't just say if we had played that system all year we'd be successful, but it was more guys bringing more energy, being more committed and a result of playing the way we did."

#42 17
April 04 2009, 10:50PM

David S wrote:

17 wrote: Why couldn’t they have played like this for, oh, I dunno, the whole season? Here’s what theCAPTAINethanmoreau says about it in the Journal today… “You can’t just say if we had played that system all year we’d be successful, but it was more guys bringing more energy, being more committed and a result of playing the way we did.”

Ha, it's not about playing "that system", it's about playing like you give a damn. I don't know how many games there have been this season when there'd been minimal effort.

#43 RBK
April 04 2009, 10:53PM

There is all kinds of great things to take from this game if you forget that there are 3 games left and forget the points in the west.

Still good times all around

#44 David S
April 04 2009, 10:56PM

17 wrote:

The more I hear from Moreau, the more I think he's a tool. He almost cost us again tonight with his stoopid late game penalties.

#45 Sandra
April 04 2009, 10:58PM

Congrats MacT on your 300th win. also Roli for 28 wins!

#46 David S
April 04 2009, 11:36PM

I'm surprised they didn't give Lowe one of those CBC towels because he sure was sweating during his interview on After Hours.

#47 Fiveandagame
April 04 2009, 11:50PM

We're still at the table, we still have chips and it looks like we have enough time to down another case of Bud Light...

goilers......

#48 RLH
April 05 2009, 07:25AM

Dammit! Looks like it was a great game, though tiny GDB, and I fell asleep. Maybe I should just mail in the rest of the seas...

#49 Lofty
April 05 2009, 09:54AM

David S wrote:

17 wrote: Ha, it’s not about playing “that system”, it’s about playing like you give a damn. I don’t know how many games there have been this season when there’d been minimal effort. The more I hear from Moreau, the more I think he’s a tool. He almost cost us again tonight with his stoopid late game penalties.

Couldnt agree with you more... I find it funny that all the MacT haters agree with that the players dont give a damn but yet still blame it on T's systems. Its all the players faults and some bad managment, nothing else.

#50 AlBundy
April 05 2009, 10:17AM

Glad the boys won last night. Roli played very very well however. Lots of shots on goal. Gerby scored a great goal for a defenseman and power play goal by Sourey was strong.

Way to go boys, keep it rolling. You knows, maybe?????