Paging Mr MacTavish

Wanye
May 11 2009 11:50AM

Sometimes people in the spotlight talk too much. Take our good friend Souljaboy right here for example. We get it Souljaboy. You are hot right now. Hotter-than-Paris-Hilton-in-2007-hot. But do we really need to hear you tell us about how “you’ve got the munchies” about 1,389 times in a three minute video clip? No. On behalf of society and your actual fans, we do not. Kindly stop granting us all such unprecedented access into your life.

This type of non-stop commentary is exactly the flip side of someone we actually want to hear from these days,  former Oilers Head Coach Craig MacTavish. He is the anti-Souljaboy, remaining silent despite the fact that everyone – fans, media, Souljaboy himself – want to hear what he has to say about his dismissal as Head Coach of the Oilers.

Friday will mark one month since GM Steve Tambellini shook off rumors that he was not in charge of this here hockey squadron and sent Coach MacT packing after 8 years as Head Coach of the Oilers. But that was almost a month ago - where has the four time Stanley Cup Winner been exactly during that time?

Dónde está MacTavish?

mactmissing

We get it. MacT is a competitor that hates to lose. He is probably incensed that he was let go as Coach and with a year remaining on his contract he doesn’t want to do or say anything that could put that contract in jeopardy. Perhaps the Oilers went so far as to make him sign some sort of gag order preventing any hilarious "on-my-way-out-of-town-here-is-the-real-deal" type press conferences. Perhaps he is going to take a year off and return in some capacity with the team and doesn't feel that a good bye is necessary. Whatever the case, we think it is a bit odd that one of the most quotable coaches in the NHL hasn't had a press conference to reflect on his 20 plus year career with the Oilers.

As someone who firmly believed it was time for a Coaching change we also will be first to say that MacTavish is a cornerstone of this franchise and deserves better than to be dismissed and shot off into outer space without so much as a good bye. We think that he has been a major part of this franchise for over 20 years – give or take the odd trade – and should ultimately have his number retired and be deservedly honored by the fans of the Oilers whom he has so served so tirelessly as both player and Coach.

If this silence is self imposed then we can suppose we understand. MacT has no responsibilities or duty to anyone in the Oilers organization, much less any of us unwashed goof balls that make up the fan base. But a month after the day MacTavish was FMNF’d a lot of the emotion surrounding the issue must be starting to dissipate to some degree as we finally stagger into the glorious 2 ½ week Edmonton summer. Now is the time to reflect back on a lengthy career before the next phase begins. Because you just know that MacTavish will probably end up signing with a new team in some capacity or other and at that point he will be unwilling or unable to comment on “anything to do with the Edmonton Oilers out of respect to his new team.” We can see it now.

Come on Coach - don’t let the first time you face the media in Edmonton be when you return with your new team. Allow for the send off you deserve and release all of the 15 page retrospectives that the scribes of this city have had sitting on their collective hard drives for over a month now.

You deserve better.

Oh and Souljaboy – shut your yap. Unless you are rapping. Then it’s cool.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 Chris
May 11 2009, 12:10PM

With MacT gone, and Tambellini now fully in charge, I suspect the Lowe/Tambellini relationship has taken a hit. I asked Gregor about this a few days back and he did not to respond... So Gregor either uncharacteristically missed the question, or chose to answer it with his silence.

I agree with Tambellini when he says it's time for the organization to start looking forward. That said; It would sure be unfair if the club has imposed a gag order on MacT. He's been a good Oiler.

#2 Rusty Shackleford
May 11 2009, 12:13PM

Great Googly Moogly! MacT has the same bday as myself.(not same year thankfully)

#3 Greg MC
May 11 2009, 12:15PM

Don't think we will see a number retirement ceremony for the squirrel.

#4 Prop Jay
May 11 2009, 12:28PM

soulja boy cannot rap, it is still not cool then. End of story.

#5 Funk
May 11 2009, 12:34PM

Apparently Souljiaboy has the munchies...

#6 Prop Jay
May 11 2009, 12:35PM

Prop Jay wrote:

Prop Jay

But Mact deserves a lot more.I really hope his number is retired soon and he is given credit for his time here.

#7 BUCK75
May 11 2009, 12:36PM

It was kinda strange there was not an exit interview, but maybe he took a different office in the organization that hasn't been announced yet????

Rampant speculation or avoiding the media isn't good for anyone - ask CFP. One interview clears up a whole bunch of questions...

#8 The Pestival
May 11 2009, 12:38PM

MacT is in Kelowna, he was seen here at the Rockets game with Lowe. I'm assuming they were watching Plante on the Hitmen. Darryl Sutter was also in attendance checking out Backlund and probably jizzing in his pants whilst doing so. MacT is known to "summer" here and owns a house on the lake. I can only assume him and Lowe have been spending quality time together around a fire by the lake, making smores, crushing cans of vitamin P (thats Pilsner, Albertans) and talking about how to plot their diabolical come-back.

#9 Jason Gregor
May 11 2009, 12:43PM

Chris wrote:

I didn't see it. I'm not sure why you think Tambellini and Lowe's relationship would take a hit. MacT admitted he would have stepped down in 2006 if it wasn't for the great run. He basically did the same thing here.

I don't think Lowe and Tambellini's relationship is strained, if anything it will be stronger now that the roles are more defined heading forward.

Wanye, MacTavish always hated talking about himself, and that is the main reason why he hasn't spoken. I don't think he'd say much more than what he said during his last presser.

At that time it was apparent his frustration with Nilsson, Penner was still there. He said the culture in the room needed to improve, and in hindsight, it looks like he was talking about himself.

MacTavish could have a press conference, but I doubt it would shed any new light on the situation. He got fired/relieved of duties/resigned. He and the organisation felt it was time to move on. Unfortunately no juicy details. His next presser will probably be when he returns with a different team. Disappointing for some, but not a surprise.

Only Guy Carbonneau likes to have a presser every month to talk about his feelings on being fired, and if you saw that one, it didn't reveal any dirt. And with all the off-ice issues in Montreal, if he didn't divulge any juicy details, I can't see how MacTavish could top him.

#10 David S
May 11 2009, 12:45PM

I bet the contract release and dismissal (that no doubt was arranged by both sides) stipulates a "no-comment" clause as part of the last year's contract payout. In other words, he gets the million and agrees to stay quiet. That's not an unusual clause these days. Besides, the only thing he could add was that Lowe didn't give him the tools to do the job - that the team he had was a coach killer. True or not, it would only hurt the organization if he said it.

#11 Ogden Brother
May 11 2009, 01:02PM

Chris wrote:

With MacT gone, and Tambellini now fully in charge, I suspect the Lowe/Tambellini relationship has taken a hit. I asked Gregor about this a few days back and he did not to respond… So Gregor either uncharacteristically missed the question, or chose to answer it with his silence. I agree with Tambellini when he says it’s time for the organization to start looking forward. That said; It would sure be unfair if the club has imposed a gag order on MacT. He’s been a good Oiler.

Why on earth do people think that Tambs publicly firing MacT has signled that he is now fully in charge (or that he wasn't before) the dynamics of the managment may have changed, but him holding the press conference proves nothing.

#12 MJ
May 11 2009, 01:05PM

MacT's birthday is August 15, not September 15. I picked that one up immediately as I know I do not share a birthday with him.

#13 jeanshorts
May 11 2009, 01:07PM

The Pestival wrote:

vitamin P (thats Pilsner, Albertans

I'm pretty sure Albertans invented that phrase. We also call it the green diesel.

#14 The Towel Boy
May 11 2009, 01:14PM

@ jeanshorts: @ The Pestival:

Alberta Pil always tasted better than Sask Pil. Not sure why...I think it's cuz of the cool and clean Rocky Mountain stream water used in the Alberta version vs. the beaver dam'd ditch water used in Sask Pil.

#15 The Pestival
May 11 2009, 01:19PM

@ jeanshorts:

#16 baggedmilk
May 11 2009, 01:21PM

b>@ The Towel Boy: @ jeanshorts:

It is also Albertan common knowledge, that you cannot get pregnant when you're on the Pil.

#17 The Towel Boy
May 11 2009, 01:33PM

baggedmilk wrote:

@ The Towel Boy: @ jeanshorts: It is also Albertan common knowledge, that you cannot get pregnant when you’re on the Pil.

Wow...I just read the label...

Side effects of Pilsner may include: temporary memory loss, blurred vision, vomiting, thoughts of superhuman strength, self believed ability to dance, arguing the same point for 3 or more hours, increased urination, inability to stand and loss of performance in the sack.

#18 Rice
May 11 2009, 01:33PM

jeanshorts wrote:

The Pestival wrote: vitamin P (thats Pilsner, Albertans I’m pretty sure Albertans invented that phrase. We also call it the green diesel.

Isn't it all brewed in Lethbridge?

#19 Rusty Shackleford
May 11 2009, 01:42PM

@ MJ: I appreciate having that one cleared up. Nice B-Day btw.

#20 Wanye Gretz
May 11 2009, 01:53PM

@ MJ:

#21 The Towel Boy
May 11 2009, 01:56PM

Wanye Gretz wrote:

@ MJ: It should come as no surprise but you Sir win. It amuses me to no end to throw those out to see who is paying attention.

I knew it was a test!

#22 The Menace
May 11 2009, 01:57PM

Jason Gregor wrote:

I didn’t see it. I’m not sure why you think Tambellini and Lowe’s relationship would take a hit. MacT admitted he would have stepped down in 2006 if it wasn’t for the great run. He basically did the same thing here.

What about this - after watching the first two rounds of the playoffs this year with no Oilers again, would you have traded another long playoff run this year, for three more years of MacT? I reall like MacT, but I'm glad things were not drawn out any further.

#23 Chris
May 11 2009, 02:22PM

@ Jason Gregor:

Thanks Jason. You missed my question and I mistakenly took it to mean you were pleading the 5th...

@ Ogden Brother:

I believe there has been a gradual shifting of power from Lowe to Tambellini. However, you are absolutely correct: I have no real proof. I'm not invited to private Oiler management meetings, and don't socialize with anyone who is. That is why I went fishing... It's not a stretch to suppose there may be some hurt feelings if the "Boy's On The Bus" are no longer at the helm. And if there are hurt feelings... you could bet that Gregor and Brownlee know all about it.

What can I say... as for pure Oiler news; there isn't a lot going on right now.

#24 jeanshorts
May 11 2009, 02:36PM

@ The Pestival:

Man I wish I invented boobs. They are single handedly the greatest the invention in the history of time.

#25 David S
May 11 2009, 02:36PM

Chris wrote:

What can I say… as for pure Oiler news; there isn’t a lot going on right now.

You got that straight brutha. But Staples is floating a pretty solid Penner for Gomez trade rumor over at his blog. That's something anyways. I bet Willis is penning something up about it during his coffee breaks today.

#26 Chris
May 11 2009, 02:39PM

Rice wrote:

Isn’t it all brewed in Lethbridge?

Sadly, no. They tore down the brewery and built condos for seniors.

#27 Milli
May 11 2009, 02:41PM

no comment.

#28 Ogden Brother
May 11 2009, 03:06PM

David S wrote:

Chris wrote: What can I say… as for pure Oiler news; there isn’t a lot going on right now. You got that straight brutha. But Staples is floating a pretty solid Penner for Gomez trade rumor over at his blog. That’s something anyways. I bet Willis is penning something up about it during his coffee breaks today.

I've been thinking a Penner for Gomez/Drury/Brier deal might not be too bad (assuming we've got some size coming back in another move(s).

#29 Cam
May 11 2009, 03:30PM

The Pestival wrote:

@ jeanshorts: oh sure, bet you invented jesus and boobs too. anyway, more of a Lucky Lager man myself

Here here... Vancouver Island Beer is the best

#30 Harlie
May 11 2009, 03:42PM

"glorious 2-1/2 week Edmonton Summer" LMFAO!!!!!!

"deserves better than to be dismissed and shot off into outer space" GOLD!!!

#31 yo
May 11 2009, 05:15PM

You may want to cover this same ground with MacT but I sure don't. I could care less what he has to say. Does yet another re-hash help anything? I doubt it. What is done is done so give it a rest. Find out something that reflects on the future of the team and organization. In other words write about something interesting. Grinding away on this subject is just more of the same fascination of Edmonton sports fans and writers and their penchant for dredging up the past...endlessly.

#32 David S
May 11 2009, 07:17PM

^ The man does have a point.

#33 freeze
May 11 2009, 08:20PM

oh yeah. I forgot about that guy!

#34 Harlie
May 11 2009, 08:51PM

you mean the guy behind the guy?

#35 Harlie
May 11 2009, 09:01PM

[playing a hockey video game] Trent: I wish they still had fights in this game so I could bitch-slap Wayne. Mike: What? They don't have fighting anymore? Trent: Doesn't that suck? Mike: Why'd they get rid of the fighting? It was the best part of the old version. Sue: I think kids were hittin' each other or somethin', man. Trent: Yeah but you know what, Mike? You can make their heads bleed in this one. Mike: Make somebody's head bleed. Sue: No man, we're in the playoffs.

#36 RBK
May 12 2009, 08:17AM

yo wrote:

Grinding away on this subject is just more of the same fascination of Edmonton sports fans and writers and their penchant for dredging up the past…endlessly.

I can see how you would feel that the dismissal of an 8 year head coach less than a month ago wouldn't merit a press conference as it is

a) A trivial event. b) So very long ago.

Oh ... wait ...

NOPE

#37 c33
May 12 2009, 10:02PM

As someone who firmly believed it was time for a Coaching change we also will be first to say that MacTavish is a cornerstone of this franchise and deserves better than to be dismissed and shot off into outer space without so much as a good bye. We think that he has been a major part of this franchise for over 20 years – give or take the odd trade – and should ultimately have his number retired and be deservedly honored by the fans of the Oilers whom he has so served so tirelessly as both player and Coach.

Wayne - I think that you are right on the money - we do not see someone grow up in an organization as MacT did, and he does deserve some recognition in Edmonton. As for talking to the media, no one gives as many lines to quote as MacT, so I too, would love to hear what he has to say....that being said, he is too classy to go on the defensive about what happened and so we probably won't hear from the guy. Too bad....