Oilers name Quinn, Renney as Coaches

Wanye
May 26 2009 11:42AM

coachingchange1

As predicted by Robin Brownlee back on May 13 “I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see Tambellini hire a head coach and an associate coach in tandem, then fill out the bench roster by adding an assistant or two.” Whatever witchcraft Brownlee is seemingly able to perform at will has worked again, as the Oilers have named Pat Quinn Head Coach of the team and Tom Renney as his associate.

We know that acres of type will be devoted to dissecting this tandem, so here is the launch pad for further conversation. Each will be given a brief introduction so that the debate can begin in earnest.

Tom Renney

renney2

In Tom Renney it’s clear the Oilers are looking to stay with the Sexy Silver Fox type coach and we for one couldn't be more pumped. In addition to coaching the Canucks and the Rangers, Renney has a lengthy international record having guided Team Canada three gold, three silver and two bronze medals in the world Championships. He has also been no joke coaching in NYC, guiding the Rangers to three consecutive post season berths before being relieved of command during the 08-09 season. Having coached Jaromir Jagr, Renney will also be able to apply his Czech Superstar Jedi Mind Tricks to our young Ales Hemsky in an effort to elevate his game to the next level.

Pat Quinn

patquinn

Born sometime during the Civil War, Pat Quinn has enjoyed a lengthy coaching career. The Oilers will be his fifth team, having coached Philadelphia, LA, Vancouver and most recently Toronto. At the time of his departure from the Leafs in 2006, Quinn was the winningist active coach in the NHL. All this guy does is get up in the morning and win hockey games Nation, most recently coaching the World Juniors to a fifth consecutive gold medal this year. If he can bring some of that ol' black magic to the Copper and Blue, the team is headed in a decidedly different (read: better) direction than many thought possible a few short weeks ago.

What we like about this deal from minute one is it is a clear departure from days gone by. These two saavy gents have lengthy resumes with one key piece wonderfully missing:

Neither have played a game as an Edmonton Oiler.

UPDATE

Due to insane levels of traffic you may be experiencing crashing or severely long load times for OilersNation.com at the moment. We have our crack team all over the matter, and Wanye is running around in circles helpfully yelling "Fire! Fire! Fire!" We may have to temporarily lock down commentary to keep the site running smoother. If that happens, it will be temporary and soon enough we can all get back to the discussion.

Welcome to the OilersNation Mr Quinn and Renney. We love our ice hockey squadron up in here.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#101 Hoodlum
May 26 2009, 04:53PM

@ mazola: Is that a question? I'm confused with your statement. You have s's on the end of words that don't need an s. You add the word "yes" to the end of your question, but to answer, YES...... I do believe that it is too late for the oilers to make the playoffs this year. Long story short, this statment is a grammatical nightmare and therefore banish you to grade 1.

#102 The Menace
May 26 2009, 04:55PM

I just received a twitter notification from #oilersnews (the official Oilers account) about an hour ago announcing Pat Quinn as the new head coach. Only about 4 hours after the news was broken. I think the idea behind twitter is it's supposed to be a little more 'up-to-the-minute' than that... ;)

#103 The Menace
May 26 2009, 04:57PM

Librarian Mike wrote:

Hoodlum wrote: What’s up nation…ALL HAIL THE NEW REGIME. Now we need a couple solid draft day trades and we are looking GOOD. I do remember having senses of post season optimism in the past, but this time there is REAL optimsm. Let’s just hope Mrs. Quinn likes it here.

I think Mrs. Quinn hopes she's the new Associate Mrs. Renney.

#104 Pop and Ice Cream » Archive » (No) Napkin Comic and My Two Coaches
May 26 2009, 05:01PM

[...] Pat Quinn is head coach now and Tom Renney is associate head coach. That’s two head coaches, count ‘em. [...]

#105 Wanye Gretz
May 26 2009, 05:04PM

The Menace wrote:

I think Mrs. Quinn hopes she’s the new Associate Mrs. Renney.

It's good on here today.

REAL GOOD

#106 RossCreek
May 26 2009, 05:24PM

@ Librarian Mike I listened to Darryl's presser and he wasn't pissy. He was actually cracking jokes and laughing. I don't see why you think Calgary is a "hot mess". I find it interesting that Calgary announced their presser last friday for 1 today and the Oilers announce their presser this morning for today at noon out of the blue. And the Battle continues.

#107 RossCreek
May 26 2009, 05:33PM

@ West Coast Oil The Flames were not at the cap after the deadline. Sutter said today that he actually had another deal on the table that fell through at the last minute that would have put them closer to the cap. The problem layed in the injuries the Flames suffered with less than ten games left to high priced talent. Because there was less than ten games left, the injured players salaries could not come off the books. Had the injuries occured with 11 games left, the Flames would not have been in trouble. Unfortunate, but could've happened just as easily to a slew of other teams. On another note, Sutter praised the Oilers moves today.

#108 Hemmertime
May 26 2009, 05:35PM

The Menace wrote:

I think the idea behind twitter is it’s supposed to be a little more ‘up-to-the-minute’ than that

I have neighbors who yell news out their windows faster than Oilers twitter =) Pat Quinn remembers when the zambonis left horse sh1t on the ice.

He was beating on people in black and white hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87hJTG4LvnY

#109 Jonathan Willis
May 26 2009, 06:10PM

@Cam:

Quinn's always had a bunch of rough-and-tumble guys to fill out the roster; game-playing ability generally being considered optional. Aside from MacIntyre, Stortini should be ecstatic and I'd guess that J-F Jacques just saw his chance at making the team increase by quite a bit.

#110 Jonathan Willis
May 26 2009, 06:15PM

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong, but if Quinn uses the same freewheeling style he did in Toronto (where he had a deep veteran roster) with these Oilers (where the roster is full of question marks and players on the wrong side of 25), there could well be trouble.

It's not that I think he's a bad coach. I just don't see him as the right man for this roster.

As for reacting negatively to this, does anyone here recall the general sense of wonderment and jubilation when Tambellini moved Cole for Kotalik and O'Sullivan? I remember reacting, not negatively, but in some moderation, and taking flack for it. It doesn't bother me because it's a lot more fun to be optimistic than pessimistic, but a few months down the road it's nicer to be able to look back and say "well, I'm glad I didn't get carried away with optimism".

As another example, see those wonderful folks who picked the Oilers to win the division this year.

Quinn and Renney have the potential to be a first-class coaching duo. If, on the other hand, this roster doesn't work for Quinn, there could be some trouble.

#111 michael
May 26 2009, 06:46PM

nET ON THE LIST IS A CONVERSATION WITH MARION HOSSA AFTER DETROIT LOSES TO THE PENGUINS.HEMSKY HOSSA ANS KOTALIK. THATS MORE LIKE THE KIND OF FIREPOWER WE NEEED. FAT ASS PENNER BETTER BE BE DOING ROADWORK RIGHT NOW OR ELSE HES GOING TO BE VERY EXPENSIVE MINOR LEAGUE PLAYER.DON'T TELL THAT KATZ AND COMPANY WILL PUT UP WITH ANOTHER SEASON OF HIS LAME ASSED ANTICS. LET HIM ROT IN THE MINORS ALONG WITH ANYONE ELSE THAT THE QUINN DECIDES IS FODDER.

#112 David S
May 26 2009, 06:52PM

Jonathan - After watching the Oilers PC,I got the definite feeling that this is the first of many moves this summer. It seems Mr Katz has given Tambo the mandate and the means to deliver a winning team. Dead wood and non-performers will be moved and I'd bet that at least one major player acquisition is on the way, if not more.

Quinn on his own and you'd probably be right. But Quinn with Renney seems like the first of many radical moves in the positive direction. How about we give them the benefit of the doubt before repainting the negativity bandwagon, huh?

#113 99thoilerfan
May 26 2009, 06:58PM

Jonathan Willis wrote:

Quinn and Renney have the potential to be a first-class coaching duo. If, on the other hand, this roster doesn’t work for Quinn, there could be some trouble.

J,

Then it will be "BRAIN TRUST" to the rescue?

I look over the resume of these two... They have VAN connections, sure... But these gents, are Big Time names. Can they help bring in a fresh new wave of players, or help the "poor" ones we have now..

After these last few years, I think it is great we have opened the windows, and let some fresh air in...

I'm willing to buy in.. 2 - 5 years ?

#114 David S
May 26 2009, 07:07PM

michael wrote:

nET ON THE LIST IS A CONVERSATION WITH MARION HOSSA AFTER DETROIT LOSES TO THE PENGUINS.HEMSKY HOSSA ANS KOTALIK. THATS MORE LIKE THE KIND OF FIREPOWER WE NEEED. FAT ASS PENNER BETTER BE BE DOING ROADWORK RIGHT NOW OR ELSE HES GOING TO BE VERY EXPENSIVE MINOR LEAGUE PLAYER.DON’T TELL THAT KATZ AND COMPANY WILL PUT UP WITH ANOTHER SEASON OF HIS LAME ASSED ANTICS. LET HIM ROT IN THE MINORS ALONG WITH ANYONE ELSE THAT THE QUINN DECIDES IS FODDER.

hxxp://wrpn.net/~kremit/gallery/funny/caps-lock.jpg

#115 Librarian Mike
May 26 2009, 07:26PM

David S wrote:

hxxp://wrpn.net/~kremit/gallery/funny/caps-lock.jpg

Thanks for that.

I am VERY interested to see what kind of season Penner has. I imagine how they deal with him (and how he responds) will be a defining part of the new coaching staff early on.

Read more: http://www.oilersnation.com/2009/05/oilers-name-quinn-renney-as-coaches/#comments#ixzz0GfM8GgHW&B

#116 Librarian Mike
May 26 2009, 07:27PM

Uhhhh. Not sure what happened there with that link. Not intentional. Sorry about that.

#117 mazola
May 26 2009, 07:37PM

@ Hoodlum: Hoodlum wrote:

@ mazola: Is that a question? I’m confused with your statement. You have s’s on the end of words that don’t need an s. You add the word “yes” to the end of your question, but to answer, YES…… I do believe that it is too late for the oilers to make the playoffs this year. Long story short, this statment is a grammatical nightmare and therefore banish you to grade 1.

*You're* a towel!

#118 No longer Quinn
May 26 2009, 07:48PM

I have to change my handle! Arggghhhh!

D*mn you Quinn! D*mn you to hell!

#119 Milli
May 27 2009, 08:21AM

Thank god it ain't Crawford!!! I figured for sure it would be that anus. I don't know, but seeing Quinn coach the juniors, I think this is a good move. I still will wait to see what other moves Tambo can pull off this summer, because GOD himself couldn't coach this roster into the playoffs.