AHL Forward Prospects: How Does The Current Crop Measure Up?

Jonathan Willis
May 30 2009 11:20AM

Brule and Potulny

With few exceptions (Oilers examples include Ales Hemsky, Sam Gagner, Andrew Cogliano) most future NHL forwards need to refine their game in the minors before they can make the jump to the world’s best league. Their performance in the AHL gives us an idea of their potential as NHL’ers.

The AHL is often not given the credit it deserves as a tough league; after the NHL it’s probably the best in the world, with the KHL and SEL also in the same range (with other top European leagues falling in a little lower on the depth chart). It’s a very difficult league for a junior player to come in and dominate at a young age.

Comparing prospects year over year is difficult; there’s much greater fluctuation in team quality and makeup from one year to the next than there is in the NHL, but what follows is an attempt at it. Players are ranked by percentage of team offense, since players on a team like Wilkes/Barre-Scranton in 2006-07 had a much better chance of putting up points than players in Springfield last season.

Percentage of team offense is calculated with the following formula:

Player’s Point Total / Team’s Total Goals For * Games Player Appeared in / 80 = Percentage of Offense

Notes:

  • Players acquired midseason are judged against both of their teams, which accounts for someone like Ryan Stone being ranked lower than expected after a fine half-season in Springfield.
  • Players with less than 20 games played were excluded from consideration.
  • Players with absolutely no chance of ever playing an offensive role in the NHL (Tim Sestito as one example) were also excluded, although I tried to be relatively generous with the cut-off point.
  • Prior to 2008-09, players who jumped to the NHL in the following season are highlighted in bold.
  • During the lockout season (2004-05), the AHL was a much more difficult league since many players who otherwise would have been in the NHL played in the AHL. This pushed other prospects further down the lineup and made the competition that much stronger, so numbers from that year should be viewed in context.

2008-09 Springfield (188 goals scored)

Ryan Potulny (24): 70GP – 38G – 24A – 62PTS (37.7%) Gilbert Brule (21): 39GP – 13G – 11A – 24PTS (26.2%) Rob Schremp (22): 69GP – 7G – 35A – 42PTS (25.9%) Ryan Stone (23): 77GP – 17G – 39A - 56PTS (25.2%) Slava Trukhno (21): 56GP – 7G – 19A – 26PTS (19.8%) Bryan Lerg (22): 42GP – 9G – 8A – 17PTS (17.2%) Colin McDonald (24): 77GP – 10G – 12A – 22PTS (12.2%) Tyler Spurgeon (22): 73GP – 6G – 14A – 20PTS (11.7%)

2007-08 Springfield (214 goals scored)

Rob Schremp (21): 78GP – 23G – 53A – 76PTS (36.4%) Patrick Thoresen (24): 29GP – 13G – 13A – 26PTS (33.5%) Marc Pouliot (22): 55GP – 21G – 26A – 47PTS (31.9%) Liam Reddox (21): 65GP – 16G – 28A – 44PTS (25.3%) J-F Jacques (22): 38GP – 11G – 14A – 25PTS (24.6%) Slava Trukhno (20): 64GP – 14G – 21A - 35PTS (20.4%) Stephane Goulet (21): 36GP – 9G – 5A – 14PTS (14.5%) Colin McDonald (23): 73GP – 12G – 11A – 23PTS (11.8%)

2006-07 Wilkes-Barre (276 goals scored)

Robert Nilsson (21): 69GP – 18G – 48A – 66PTS (31.6%) Marc Pouliot (21): 33GP – 14G – 17A – 31PTS (27.2%) J-F Jacques (21): 29GP – 10G – 17A – 27PTS (27.0%) Kyle Brodziak (22): 62GP – 24G – 32A – 56PTS (26.2%) Rob Schremp (20): 69GP – 17G – 36A – 53PTS (22.3%) Alexei Mikhnov (24): 27GP – 6G – 12A – 18PTS (19.3%) Tyler Spurgeon (20): 34GP – 5G – 10A – 15PTS (12.8%) Zack Stortini (21): 47GP – 9G – 6A – 15PTS (10.5%) *played in Hamilton

2005-06 Hamilton (225 goals scored)

Brad Winchester (24): 40GP – 26G – 14A – 40PTS (35.6%) Marc Pouliot (20): 65GP – 15G – 30A – 45PTS (24.6%) J-F Jacques (20): 65GP – 24G – 20A – 44PTS (24.1%) Yan Stastny (23): 51GP – 14G – 17A – 31PTS (20.4%) *played in Iowa Kyle Brodziak (21): 55GP – 12G – 19A – 31PTS (18.9%) *played in Iowa

2004-05 Edmonton (201 goals scored)

Raffi Torres (22): 67GP – 21G – 25A – 46PTS (27.3%) Tony Salmelainen (23): 76GP – 22G – 24A – 46PTS (24.1%) Jarret Stoll (22): 66GP – 21G – 17A – 38PTS (22.9%) Kyle Brodziak (20): 56GP – 6G – 26A – 32PTS (22.7%) Brad Winchester (23): 76GP – 22G – 18A – 40PTS (20.9%) Jesse Niinimaki (21): 24GP – 1G – 0A – 1PTS (1.7%)

Things That Jumped Out At Me

Ryan Potulny’s season in Springfield was probably the best of any Oilers’ prospect during this time span, particularly when considering that the greater part of his offense was goals. I think he has to be considered on the cusp of gainful NHL employment, despite the fact that he’s very rarely mentioned as a possibility for the roster. Here’s what Kevin Prendergast said a few weeks back on the Pipeline Show:

“He’s a great player, he was the leader down there on that hockey club this year – he never quit. The opportunity when he came up here, he certainly showed us a lot. In order to play 82 games in the National Hockey League his skating has to get a little bit better. We had a long talk with him at the end of the season; he’s aware of that, he’s going to work really hard on that this summer.”

Another thing that caught my eye was the obvious discrepancy in offensive requirements for players with well-rounded skills (Stoll, Brodziak, Reddox) vs. those with a more one-dimensional game (Rob Schremp, Robert Nilsson). I’d say that the rough lines are at about 20-25% and 30%, respectively. This doesn’t bode well for players like Tyler Spurgeon and Colin McDonald – both of whom did a fine job in a checking role this past season – because while they’ll never be offensive players, they probably need to hit a certain level of offensive ability to get a serious shot at a roster spot. Both will get that chance.

Speaking of McDonald, one thing the numbers here don’t show is how he turned it on offensively after Rob Daum took over as coach. Prendergast certainly noted it (saying that he had one goal at Christmas and finished with 12) and as far as dark horses go, McDonald’s not a bad one to consider for a team looking to get bigger, especially given the level of opposition he faced. It’s going to be a fight, though, since aside from incumbent Zack Stortini, all of J-F Jacques, Ryan Stone and Guillaume Lefebvre also bring size to the match and while Jacques and Stone bring more offense, Lefebvre brings a much nastier disposition and some previous NHL experience. Lefebvre didn’t make the list above because his offense was non-existent, but Zack Stortini has shown that for an enforcer that isn’t necessarily vital. Steve MacIntyre will also be in the mix, as he’s the purest heavyweight of the bunch. All things considered, I wouldn’t bet against Jacques starting next season with the team.

Rob Schremp’s timing was incredibly unlucky. If he’d had his breakout season a year sooner, I doubt the Oilers would have bothered acquiring Robert Nilsson (the Ryan Smyth trade looks worse all the time, doesn't it?). Since he had it in 2007-08, he had to force his way by Sam Gagner, Andrew Cogliano and Nilsson for a spot and they were all having good years. The slope is getting steeper, I think, since aside from those three he also has to contend with former teammate Patrick O’Sullivan, Steve Tambellini’s stated commitment to get bigger and edgier, and his own sharp decline in production. There isn’t a place for him on the team, and it would probably be best for all parties if he was traded at the draft. 

I’d think that the only regular farmhands from last season in serious consideration for a roster spot are Potulny, Brule and possibly Lefebvre. J-F Jacques, injured for most of last season, is another player who will be involved in the fight for a roster spot. Despite Springfield’s poor season, Pat Quinn and Tom Renney do have some options from the farm to consider.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#1 Jonathan Willis
May 30 2009, 12:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

On a completely different topic, my other article today.

Avatar
#2 Heazues
May 30 2009, 12:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

ya, really is time to move on from shremp. there simply isnt room for him right now. he doesnt have the game to be a 3rd/4th and he isnt better than what they have in the top 2.

Avatar
#3 Cam
May 30 2009, 12:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Jonathan, Hey how is Shremp on Faceoffs? That is a facet of his game that might help him break into this roster.

Avatar
#4 David S
May 30 2009, 12:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Jonathan Willis wrote:

On a completely different topic, my other article today.

You sure ripped Jones a new one there Jonathan!

Avatar
#5 Jonathan Willis
May 30 2009, 12:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Cam:

Everything I've ever heard from the organization is that Schremp's future lies at wing; that's mostly where I've seen him play.

Avatar
#6 Librarian Mike
May 30 2009, 01:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

It does seem like Terry Jones is, like certain members of the management team, stuck on the idea that it's not 1987 anymore.

Avatar
#7 Archaeologuy
May 30 2009, 01:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Jonathan Willis wrote:

On a completely different topic, my other article today.

Oh man, we are on the same wave-length on that one! I read that article and couldnt help but think almost everything you wrote!

You're scaring me Willis. I'm thinking that Penner must have taken the last Donair before Jonesy got to it one day and things went downhill. Labelling the guy a coach killer is weak stuff from that tabloid "journalist".

Avatar
#8 Archaeologuy
May 30 2009, 01:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Jonathan Willis: As far as moving him, i doubt he would be worth much at this point in time anyway. Let him keep working on his stuff in the minors. He's had success in the AHL before, he can do it again. Maybe this fresh start will make him feel less like he's been spinning his wheels. It's not as if he doesnt have skills. The mental part of the game is not an automatic. Some guys need more time to figure out how to be true professionals. He's 22 or 23, not exactly over the hill.

Avatar
#9 thoughts
May 30 2009, 01:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Hi I'm Justin I like your blog it made alot of sense. Do you take donations or is this free?

Avatar
#10 Archaeologuy
May 30 2009, 02:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ thoughts: I certainly accept donations. Send them to:

Archaeologuy, c/o OilersNation.com 14936 Internet Road The Interwebs, AB, Canada T4E W3B

Avatar
#11 heavyd
May 30 2009, 02:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Archaeologuy wrote:

4936 Internet Road The Interwebs, AB, Canada T4E W3B

I think that thoughts guy thinks this is a real address. I feel sorry for some peoples parents, if thoughts was me son/daughter i would kill myself lol.

Avatar
#12 GSC
May 30 2009, 02:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Jonathan Willis wrote:

On a completely different topic, my other article today.

JW,

No offense, but if you really want to make an impact then get a journalism degree and go about taking Jones's job from him. If bitching about his writing on a blog is all that you want to do that's fine, but don't expect to obtain a ton of credibility from doing so. At least not from readers like me who will almost always defer their judgment to a paid columnist.

I guess I'm just someone who would rather see a skilled writer like you re-shape the journalist profession instead of doing this. If this is your cup of coffee, however, then so be it.

Avatar
#13 Chris
May 30 2009, 02:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Jonathan Willis: Adjusting numbers to the percentage of team offence is a somewhat glib way of ignoring the central problem: Why did all the Falcons combine for only 188 goals last season? This is the central question, and deserves careful analysis when considering how Oiler AHL prospects "measure up". Does it matter how crappy forward A compares to crappy forward B? I think the more relevant question is how these forwards compare to the prospects being developed in the organizations of our rivals. Why are these other AHL players destroying our guys on a nightly basis?

Avatar
#14 Jonathan Willis
May 30 2009, 03:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ GSC:

I'd never recoup the investment in time and money that acquiring a journalism degree would cost me, and I'd be highly unlikely to make more than I am in my current career path. With newspapers dying, it's not all that appealing anyway.

I'm not terribly worried about that affecting my credibility though; the argument of amateur vs. professional is generally trotted out when the professional can't counter the factual argument made by the amateur.

Avatar
#15 Jonathan Willis
May 30 2009, 03:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Chris:

There's definitely a systemic problem with the Falcons over the past two seasons; that said, if it's a team problem it would be wrong to ignore some very decent prospects (Potulny, Brule) because they had to play on a lousy team. Just like Lemieux on the woeful Penguins back at the start of his career; the team was bad, but that wasn't his fault.

There was a lack of veterans in Springfield, and Prendergast banked too much on continued development. To quote him:

"When you’ve got guys that we were expecting… Robbie Schremp to get 30-35 goals, Slava Trukhno to get 30 goals, and one had 7 and one had 9 and Schremp had 40 points and Trukhno had 28."

Schremp's previous career high was 23 goals; Trukhno's was 14. When you're banking on one prospect to increase his offensive output by one-third (After already posting good numbers the year before) and another to more than double his, you will be wrong more often than not.

Fans get into thinking this way; a G.M. should never bank on more than a player is already contributing.

Avatar
#16 Archaeologuy
May 30 2009, 03:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Jonathan Willis: Yikes, that quote combined with the career highs of those players makes Prendergast look pretty goofy.

Avatar
#17 kingsblade
May 30 2009, 04:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

GSC wrote:

No offense, but if you really want to make an impact then get a journalism degree and go about taking Jones’s job from him. If bitching about his writing on a blog is all that you want to do that’s fine, but don’t expect to obtain a ton of credibility from doing so. At least not from readers like me who will almost always defer their judgment to a paid columnist.

Are you saying his criticisms aren't valid because he's not a professional journalist? Getting paid to do a job doesn't automatically grant credibility, which is earned by the quality of your work and the integrity of your writing, not by a paycheck.

There are dozens of writers whose opinions I find completely lack credibility and merit. There are others whose opinions I look to regularly because they have displayed credibility.

If a writer uses good sources for his information and has a sound rationale for his opinions then I consider him to be of good credibility, with a caveat on writing ability of course. Professional status has little to do with it.

Guys like Gregor and Brownlee who interact regularly with fans and are happy to discuss their positions carry a lot of sway in my mind because even if I disagree about something it is almost always easy to understand where they are coming from and why because they can back up what they say. I just wanted to add that because I didn't want my post to sound anti-journalist. I am just saying that people without credentials can formulate valid opinions and criticisms, and when doing so can be just as convincing as a journalist.

Avatar
#18 Alan
May 30 2009, 04:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Jonathan Willis wrote:

I’m not terribly worried about that affecting my credibility though; the argument of amateur vs. professional is generally trotted out when the professional can’t counter the factual argument made by the amateur.

Show me where the factual statements you had were. You had a differing opinion.

Jones stated Hemsky needs to get better at getting the puck when he loses it. It had nothing to do with going into tough areas.

The fact you always feel the need to rip on mainstream guys continues to show your envy for them, while once again reducing your own credibility.

Most of us don't think it is necessary.

Avatar
#19 Don Murdochs Hair
May 30 2009, 05:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Alan wrote:

Jonathan Willis wrote: I’m not terribly worried about that affecting my credibility though; the argument of amateur vs. professional is generally trotted out when the professional can’t counter the factual argument made by the amateur. Show me where the factual statements you had were. You had a differing opinion. Jones stated Hemsky needs to get better at getting the puck when he loses it. It had nothing to do with going into tough areas. The fact you always feel the need to rip on mainstream guys continues to show your envy for them, while once again reducing your own credibility. Most of us don’t think it is necessary.

Who are "Most of us"?

Avatar
#20 esa tikkanen
May 30 2009, 05:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

i think with Schremp we need to remember how old he is. Where was Tom Gilbert when he was 22? Playing in College. Where was Shawn Horcoff when he was 22? Playing in College. Does everybody here think we should trade Chris VanDeVelde? Guess what? He is older than Schremp... The Red Wings drafted Johan Franzen when he was 22 and he couldn't get half a point per game in the Swiss Elite League. 22 is very young in the NHL nowadays, players need time to develop and mature. We wouldn't get anything for Schremp right now, why not let him develop so we don't trade him and the next year he turns into Andrew Burnette or Jason Pominville, other players who I think he might mature similarly into...

Avatar
#21 Jonathan Willis
May 30 2009, 05:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Alan:

I don't generally feel the need to rip on Dan Barnes, Jim Matheson, Robin Bronwlee, Jason Gregor or a host of other mainstream media guys.

Terry Jones very, very rarely adds any credible information. Between potshots at Katz (he was the guy who said 'well, the EIG is a bunch of owners, Pocklington was one guy; do we really want to see one guy owning the team again', Penner (who he called "overweight and lazy") and whoever else he decides needs to be run out of town on a rail, and as a general rule letting Kevin Lowe off the hook both in columns (he wrote the column (apparently Chris Pronger "did the Oilers a favour" by requesting a trade) and press conferences (he lobbed the softball question after Barnes and Rishaug went after Lowe at the Katz text message PC) he's the worst print media guy in Edmonton. By far.

As for factual statements, he made a big deal of Quinn emphasizing size and gritty play, saying that Tambellini should reread that statement a few times to get it into his head; despite the fact that Tambellini emphasized those points at his season-ending press conference and said whichever coach he hired was going to agree with his vision. He calls players "coach killers" without any evidence and attacks players he doesn't like column after column (and he's been doing it for years).

On the whole, the print guys (and others) have a hard job and get more criticism than they deserve; the rare exception is Terry Jones.

Avatar
#22 esa tikkanen
May 30 2009, 05:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

a few corrections...Schremp is 9 months older than Vandevelde, but the point is Vande gets another year in college and a year or two after that in the AHL before the masses will say to give up on him...

Franzen was 24 when he was drafted, and had .35 of a point per game that year in the SEL

My point is that neither Pominville nor Brunette made it as regulars in the NHL until they were 24 despite high scoring junior careers and above average AHL careers. Other than the second half of this season Schremp's AHL career and development had been pretty good, pretty comparable to Pominville IMO.

A curious analysis would be to measure Schremp the first half of this season before his call up and after. I think he was a point per gamer before, on a terrible team. Clearly he did not have the maturity to deal with the shock of being sent down ahead of Reddox and played terribly after that. Nevertheless, I am convinced some team in the NHL will make a player out of Schremp and coax that talent out of him. Why not let it be the Oilers?

Avatar
#23 HollaHollaHo'sFoADolla
May 30 2009, 07:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I'm a huge London Knights fan, and I remember catching quite a few games during Schremp's last year. It was crazy, the kid flat out dominated the game; it was like throwing Ovechkin in the minors kind of domination. He had that Lidstrom-like ability to avoid hits, his peripheral vision appeared as though it was 260 degrees, and he could slap that baby home seemingly whenever.

It was so exciting knowing he was going to be an Oiler, it was like Doug Weight with dangles and no nastiness. And now here we are, what 3 years later- following a 7 goal season in the AHL. Its sad when someone you enjoyed watching so much flat out flatlines. I believe he's still got it, and I also truly believe that he can play in the show and do damned well; i just pray its wearing #88 and not number #44.

Avatar
#24 Chris
May 30 2009, 08:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Jonathan Willis wrote:

There was a lack of veterans in Springfield, and Prendergast banked too much on continued development.

This kind of thinking has been systemic throught the entire organization.

On another note: Willis, you know I'm not a big Predergast fan. The guy often comes accross as being very ill informed about his OWN prospects, let alone other AHL, SEL, Collegate, KHL, or Amature talent in general... It seems bush league. (Doesn't inspire confidence) If someone was paying me well to do nothing but watch hockey, and track upcoming players I'd make it my business to KNOW everything! Evidently, Katz has opened up his wallet to assemble a high priced coaching staff... maybe it's time he did the same on the scouting/development side of things.

Avatar
#25 David S
May 30 2009, 08:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Just finished watching the SCF first game. Man. If anybody thinks we're going to be anywhere near competitive (compared to these two teams) with the crew we have right now, they are sadly mistaken. Quinn and Renney must have been offered some serious dough to want to come into this mess.

Avatar
#26 David S
May 30 2009, 10:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Jonathan Willis wrote:

On a completely different topic, my other article today.

FJNF!

Avatar
#27 GSC
May 31 2009, 12:33AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Jonathan Willis and kingsblade:

I am not at all suggesting that an "amateur's" writings completely lack credibility (notice I put the word in quotes, as I do not regard JW as an amateur writer). What I am suggesting is that professionals get paid for what they do for a reason.

Is their writing always going to be flawless and agreeable for the masses? No, not a chance. But at the end of the day, unless they really screw up, they're going to be back with another column. And another, and another...Terry Jones hasn't been on the job for this long because he's a hack. Far from it.

And JW, what you do for a career is your choice. Again, I'm not trying to tell you what to do. One thing you mentioned, however, concerns me: your comment about recouping your "investment of time and money" in a journalism degree. I'm a firm believer in doing something because you love doing it, because you want to do it, because you're skilled at it. To me, it's the best chance for one to be successful both professionally and personally. You may be more skilled in another field that I just don't know about and that may be your calling, but I see some real potential in what you're able to create as a writer.

Just my two cents. That and a loonie will get you a cup of coffee, depending on where you go...

Avatar
#28 Jonathan Willis
May 31 2009, 01:40AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ GSC:

No worries ;)

And on the whole I like my current job.

Avatar
#29 Sourcrouse
May 31 2009, 03:50AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ GSC: Where do you get your coffee that cheap?

And on another note. Take each different contributor to oilersnation for what they bring. JW brings a statistical perspective that, unless you are an excel or math wizard...you don't have time to see from anyone else. The dude likes facts.

And I know you like JW - I just really want to know where to get a dollar coffee.

Avatar
#30 Sourcrouse
May 31 2009, 04:35AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

First I need to preface this by saying, throw lots and lots of money at Havlat/Hossa/Gaborik. Lots. Lots for long time.

I am aware, to make that work - we'd have to shed some cap room that may be difficult to shed. I would hate to see some of these guys go, but in the new cap world new age NHL. 2.5 and 2 million dollar cap hits for average players don't cut it.

Thanks for bringing Potulny to the spotlight for a preseason second. The kid had 6 points in the AHL all-star game last year and was 0.9 PPG in the AHL for the last 3 seasons. He can obviously put the puck in the net and play with skilled players. He's also a left handed Center and is reported on hockeysfuture as being a good face off guy. This guy played with Kessel and outscored him.

I think that you could move Nilsson for picks or a prospect and lose his salary. Schremp would give you the same production at half the price. Gives him a chance to play limited minutes and PP time and play with two young, now veternish players.

Havlat - Horcoff - Hemmer Schremp - Cogs - Gagner Penner - Potulny - O'Sullivan Pouliot - Brule - Jacques

Lubo - Souray Grebsy - Gilbert Smid - Peckham Semenov

JDD Sorochan

Affordable, fun and room to bring Weight and Billy G in for a a cup run at the deadline.

Avatar
#31 myteammytown
May 31 2009, 08:12AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Sourcrouse:

a cup run with JDD as the starter and a UofA alum as back-up?

serenity now serenity now serenity now

Avatar
#32 Moose
May 31 2009, 08:40AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Sourcrouse wrote:

Affordable, fun and room to bring Weight and Billy G in for a a cup run at the deadline.

Do you mean a Calder Cup run?

Avatar
#33 Jimhu
May 31 2009, 08:57AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

What about Stone? Based on his production (25%) and what I have heard about his 2-way physical game it seems he would have a good chance of making the team in a 4th line 13th fwd role. Any thoughts?

Avatar
#34 Jonathan Willis
May 31 2009, 09:01AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Sourcrouse wrote:

JDD Sorochan

That truly frightens me ;)

Avatar
#35 Deep Oil
May 31 2009, 10:26AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

J W you are losing it with this crap about stats, they don,t mean crap. The games are played on the ice, not in your mind, Grab a life.

Avatar
#36 Deep Oil
May 31 2009, 10:27AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Go WINGS

Avatar
#37 GSC
May 31 2009, 10:53AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Sourcrouse wrote:

@ GSC: And I know you like JW - I just really want to know where to get a dollar coffee.

So do I, sourcrouse, so do I...Any ideas?

Avatar
#38 David S
May 31 2009, 11:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Moose wrote:

Do you mean a Calder Cup run?

*thumbsup*

Avatar
#39 MikeP
May 31 2009, 11:29AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

heavyd wrote:

Archaeologuy wrote: 4936 Internet Road The Interwebs, AB, Canada T4E W3B I think that thoughts guy thinks this is a real address. I feel sorry for some peoples parents, if thoughts was me son/daughter i would kill myself lol.

You know that's a spam link, right? JW, you should delete the comment if you can.

Avatar
#40 Travis Dakin
May 31 2009, 04:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Deep Oil: It's alive?

Avatar
#41 Sourcrouse
June 02 2009, 01:22AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ myteammytown:

We aren't going on a cup run for another couple years...but for the impatient OIL fans - I offer a solution. JDD has more pedigree than Osgood and that kid has 3...almost 4 cups.

Avatar
#42 Sourcrouse
June 02 2009, 01:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Deep Oil: My father (who coached hockey for 30 years) once told me that he has used countless ways to evaluate players in his time and he has only found one thing that has been consistent forever - those that put up stats - put up stats. So, use them to your advantage.

Comments are closed for this article.