Shallow? You Betcha.

Amber McCormick
May 31 2009 11:19AM

renneyhot

I have no doubt that Pat Quinn will be a breath of fresh air to the Edmonton Oilers coaching staff but let’s face it, Renney would have been a better choice as far as the Hot-O-Meter is concerned. Come on, admit it. You know I’m right and I know you’ve thought the same thing.

Pat Quinn is reminiscent of an old man living in my neighborhood growing up. He was bitter, tired and generally pissed off at the world. When passing him, being the polite and charming child I was, I would often say hi to this anger-ridden old fart only to be faced with a bark of “It’s not hi, it’s hello. Damn kids... mumble mumble... gurgle... burp”. So forgive me if I’m already off to a bad start with Mr. Quinn. Perhaps some therapy provided by OilersNation would help me through my troubled past.

Tom Renney! *swoon* Now here’s a man with the face for professional sports. I could watch many an interview with this guy. He’s dashing, debonair, and radiant with charisma. Plus, once retired, I would feel confident buying a used car from him. A trusting face goes a long way. Just look at Ted Bundy.

Kelly “The Hills Have Eyes” Buchberger will still be on as assisting coach so clearly he’s doing something right but I can’t imagine it has much to do with his mug. That’s all I have to say about that.

Let’s just hope that with this new addition of experience that we all get what we want; a nice shiny cup to bring home next year.

Db1a966f04a8a472b0df900e5b7eeb29
Amber lives in Edmonton. Everyday she tries to do her part in preserving nature. Tomorrow she's pickling squirrels. Amber doesn't sweat the petty thing and she doesn't pet the sweaty things.
#1 Archaeologuy
May 31 2009, 11:48AM

You know, the talk about Pat Quinn as the old man in the neighbourhood makes me want to go see the new Pixar movie "Up". So if the Old guy is Quinn, who is the annoying kid in the boyscout Uni? Renney?

#2 socaldave
May 31 2009, 12:32PM

Amber, I showed this to my wife, and while she agrees with you, she just cannot get over the hurt from the loss of her Dreamboat (and biggest reason this particular American gal watches hockey), Mr. Craig MacTavish.

She feels it'll come down to his first choice in a suit and tie. If Renney pulls it off, she'll be on board. Me? I'm trying hard not to participate in the conversation.

Girls are funny.

#3 OilFan1
May 31 2009, 01:04PM

So, the best qualifications for a new head coach are his looks????????? Nothing but puck-bunny-ness here folks, move along.

#4 ~Steele
May 31 2009, 01:54PM

Amber,

Just you wait! Buckey is going to get Quinn & Renney to buy a lifetime membership at "Tan - A - Lot," and you will be swooning over the Bronze Trio all winter!

~Steele

#5 Mark
May 31 2009, 02:20PM

Wow, tough crowd. I'll reserve any judgement until I see how the hockey team plays this upcoming season, and won't throw much opinions and judgements around just to get attention when we won't be able to tell anything until next October.

#6 Sars
May 31 2009, 03:48PM

@ socaldave: I'm with your wife........it's hard to top the attractiveness of Craig MacTavish *fans self*

#7 Dik Tracey
May 31 2009, 04:02PM

I hear ya Amber.

Exactly what I thought when I saw your mug.

Enuff with the MILF bloggers, let's get some fresh, youthful faces on here.

#8 Dan
May 31 2009, 04:27PM

Archaeologuy wrote:

No, I believe its Sam Gagner, trying to get the attention of Mr. Quinn. :)

#9 Death Metal Nightmare
May 31 2009, 05:08PM

you automatically lose because Quinn bringing up in the presser that he was shredding skateboards back in the early 60s trumps anything "i have women hands" Renney ever did. plus he elbowed Bobby Orr in the face. in the words of Ken Reid, OLD MAN POWER

#10 kingsblade
May 31 2009, 07:01PM

Mark wrote:

Wow, tough crowd. I’ll reserve any judgement until I see how the hockey team plays this upcoming season, and won’t throw much opinions and judgements around just to get attention when we won’t be able to tell anything until next October.

Why will it take you until October to decide who's the better looking coach?

#11 admiralmark
May 31 2009, 07:22PM

Wow a sports article written by a female. Things really must be changing with women being so interested in sports now...That they will be writing insightful commentary on sports.....Apparently not. The last coach to guide the Oilers to a Stanley Cup was John Muckler. And Muckler was no looker. Ask me if i care??

#12 David S
May 31 2009, 07:36PM

^ I think this guy thinks women should still be like this...

hxxp://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/03_01/smileDM0403_468x484.jpg

#13 bingofuel
May 31 2009, 07:41PM

@ admiralmark: Your first mistake was coming here looking for insightful commentary. Your second mistake was failing to recognize tongue in cheek. Let's hope you don't repeat mistake #2 when you read this comment.

#14 B-rad
May 31 2009, 08:57PM

Ya, when you look at the press conference, you have to agree bucky looks like he was living near a power plant growing up!

wow.... he's a sick mess.

#15 The Drew
May 31 2009, 09:21PM

Wow i'm sorry if i see something thats written by You again i'm moving along. Everyone has their opinion but your idiotic. How on Gods green earth you are aloud to post things on this web site is beyond me. You are No Where Near the same class as Robin or Gretz or even the self centered Gregor so get outta here and go write for the flamers site.

#16 Wanye Gretz
May 31 2009, 09:42PM

Good gravy not a load of good humor up in this beyaach.

Amber your "hills have eyes" comment is golden. When a young Wanye was about 14 I saw Buchberger on the driving range wearing a touque made of medical bandage complete with blood spots.

Being a concerned Oilers fan I bravely walked right up to him and asked (in a voice we now acknowledge was an overly concerned) "Are you OK Mr. Buchberger?"

Buchberger looked over at me and laughed "oh what this?" and pointed to his head. "These are hairplugs kid nothing to worry about" and he and three other fellows laughed heartily at my concern.

I learned three things that day: 1. 14 year old Oiler fans are an excitable lot 2. Kelly Buchberger talking to you in front of other kids your age make you very cool very fast 3. You can regrow hair using plugs.

@Amber haters

Really?

@ The Drew:

Really? You're going to be the guy to be the first to talk on here and not show respect? You want to be known as that guy?

#17 Robin Brownlee
May 31 2009, 10:23PM

The Drew wrote:

Get outta here? You've got it backwards, Jack. Get to stepping and don't come back.Wanye Gretz wrote:

@ The Drew: Really? You’re going to be the guy to be the first to talk on here and not show respect? You want to be known as that guy?

He is that guy. Adios.

#18 Sandra Blood
May 31 2009, 10:44PM

Amber are you positive your not in Ponoka? Do you have a window? Look outside and tell me what you see.

#19 Seans
May 31 2009, 11:06PM

Holy *Blank*...

I know its been awhile since we made playoffs, won our division, won a cup... etc... The only thing we have now to keep our spirits up is a sense of humor, I feel bad for those of you who obviously have lost that along the way. What do you got going for you now? The capitals? (I aint talking about washington either). I would say growup people but I think you all need to get younger, you all grew bitter and old...

#20 David S
May 31 2009, 11:34PM

At least the spammers are showin' some respect

#21 ScubaSteve
May 31 2009, 11:39PM

Ok guys,

Since we're talking about ugly Buckling, lets see your All-Time Ugly team.

Mine would be:

Mike Ricci (The obvious captain) Bucky (See comments from Amber) Grebs (All kinds of Russian Ugly) Keith Jones (The guy has the head of a pumpkin, and the eyes, nose and mouth of a toddler) Gino Odjick (Google him, and don't let the kids see)

Lets see yours!

#22 ScubaSteve
May 31 2009, 11:45PM

Oh, and here's a link to get you started:

#23 Sandra Blood
May 31 2009, 11:45PM

What about Harold Druken Is he hot Amber?

#24 Rusty Shackleford
May 31 2009, 11:49PM

@Scuba Steve

Todd Harvey had the look of a man who climbed out of a garbage dumpster prior to every game. Tom Poti is quite a pile of handsome as well. Maybe I should include Sheldon Souray just to see Wanye raise some hell.

#25 ScubaSteve
May 31 2009, 11:52PM

@Rusty,

Souray's not even close, that guy is pure GQ. Compare his pic to a shot of Brent Sopel. and Sheldon looks like a god.

#26 ScubaSteve
May 31 2009, 11:54PM

Oh, and don't include Poti on this list, word is, he gets a rash every time someone types his name on the internet. Poor poor Tom Poti, maybe one day he'll earn enough for that bubble he needs to live in.

#27 Robert....
June 01 2009, 06:28AM

Wow...if it wasn't for Amber and Wanye, I wouldn't come here. Although their insights are few and far between, its enougn to keep me hooked.

hehehe...the hills have eyes...hehehe

#28 Librarian Mike
June 01 2009, 07:34AM

Talking about funny looking dudes, I never knew what Olli Jokinen looked like until he got traded to Calgary. I took one look at him and said 'pumpkin head'. Seriously, it's like someone stuck a straw in his head and blew on it too hard. Maybe that's why he's useless in the playoffs; his bobblehead is too big to support past the regular season.

#29 Heazues
June 01 2009, 08:32AM

@librarian mike

ever see that simpsons where burns puts together a softball team and gives them the "juice"? everytime i see jokinen on the tube, i think about that episode and how his forehead looks like it is trying to grow away from his face.

#30 the dude
June 01 2009, 09:19AM

YIKES! The Readability meter for Oilersnation takes a hit with this pablum.

#31 RBK
June 01 2009, 11:19AM

Holy crap Amber I think your article was fine. I notice that every one of the people hating on here is a first time commenter. Ease up everyone

@ Wanye Gretz:

You have some of the strangest stories I have ever heard. The Hills have Eyes comment is hilarious btw

#32 MJ
June 01 2009, 11:52AM

A puckbunny post? Hot-oil hits the 'Nation.

I received a couple emails this morning from fairly diehard female fans that seemed truly offended as women to read "stereotypical" trash. The funny part is if we had say a ice-girl by ice-girl analysis, the same women would be freaking out in the other direction. The email warfare has kept me entertained on a Monday morning at least. Thanks Amber!!

To men and women alike, I simply suggest removing whatever object is blocking any orifices that should otherwise remain clear. Take a deep breath and hey, if you don't like this article, move on to the next one.

#33 David S
June 01 2009, 12:27PM

Wanye - ice girl by ice girl analysis - STAT!

#34 Amber
June 01 2009, 01:48PM

Apparently I'm completely incapable of writing. It could be the nasty side effects of being an "idiot". Normally I would never dignify name calling with a response but I think a few things have been misunderstood. First of all, I could write the day away talking stats with you, absolutely. We could talk to death Roloson's 3500+ ice minutes, his 91% save percentage. Perhaps Dustin Penner's 37 points in the 08-09 season and his 45 with Anaheim in 06-07. But that's not my thing. There are a million sites that can give you the hard numbers. We have Mr. Willis, Brownlee and Gregor here to supply us with their own insight into the future possibilities. And, for the record, they do an excellent job! Most of you who frequent OilerNation seem to get it. This 'sterotypical' trash is, in fact, a tongue in cheek aproach to women having a say in the world of sports. Good lord, what's next? Women getting the vote?

#35 Rusty Shackleford
June 01 2009, 02:32PM

@Amber - Me love you long time! That should be all that matters :)

#36 dyckster
June 01 2009, 02:34PM

Wow, allow me to be the first to take the "FU" out of "FUN" and direct it to those who commented negatively on this article. Your all much too serious to post here. Great read Amber!

Oh ya, the king of NHL ugly, Lyle Odelein.

#37 Amber
June 01 2009, 02:48PM

Rusty Shackleford wrote:

@Amber - Me love you long time! That should be all that matters

It's all that's ever mattered.

#38 socaldave
June 01 2009, 04:29PM

Amber, my wife simply ADORES you. In fact, she even asked if she could meet you the next time we're in town. After all, she asked - "Edmonton's not THAT big, right?" She might be kidding, I'm not sure - she's WAY smarter than I am!

~shaking head sadly~

btw - any hockey site that my MUCH better half checks on a regular basis is fine by me. Girls watch hockey, too, fellas - better get used to it.

#39 Ted L
June 01 2009, 04:49PM

@ Amber

Your columns rock! It's nice to read something about sports on a web site all to dominated by sausage.

#40 Robin Brownlee
June 01 2009, 09:49PM

dyckster wrote:

Wow, allow me to be the first to take the “FU” out of “FUN” and direct it to those who commented negatively on this article. Your all much too serious to post here. Great read Amber! Oh ya, the king of NHL ugly, Lyle Odelein.

OD's nickname was Cornelius, as in Planet of the Apes.

#41 Les
June 02 2009, 11:16AM

I liked the article....Some guys on here are way too serious, and for the record I like the insight from the writers. But I guess this is life for some guys...actually its even worse on oilfans,so dont feel too bad.

#42 Amber McCormick
June 02 2009, 10:05PM

@ socaldave: When the new season starts up and OilersNation hosts another Night With The Nation, you and your wife should try and make it. Your wife is right, Edmonton's not THAT big. I think there like 9 people in the downtown core. It's like a smaller version of Devon.