QTNA Episode VIII: Dressing room rifts? Omark signing? Hemsky trade?

Jason Gregor
May 05 2009 12:18AM

Hemsky

If you have any questions send them to Gregor at jason@justagame.ca.

With the reported rift in the dressing room last year, do you think there will be a change in the captaincy and the alternate captains for this coming year? In your opinion was the rift due to an age gap or MacT's obvious bias for some of the veterans? Do you think some of the younger guys need to be included in the leadership group to bridge the age gap and groom them for the future? Of the young guys, which one or ones do you see still playing for us next year that would be a good candidate for an A on his sweater? —Elsa

I really think the rift was overblown. I have spoken with a variety of veterans and young players, and none expressed there was a real rift. In fact, one veteran told me that on the road they hung out more as a team this year than they had in the past.

Few players get handed a leadership role unless they are prepared to take it on. I know for a fact that one time early in the season Moreau stood up and told the young players he wanted them to express themselves more. Not every player has to be vocal to be a leader. In fact, some of the best leaders don’t say much; rather, they make sure they are ready to play every night.

None of the young players strike me as great leaders right now. Gagner has the best chance. He has a quiet, competitive fire that should make him a leader down the road, but I don’t see it being next year. As for the captaincy, unless Moreau gets dealt I’d be surprised if the new coach stripped him of the "C."

Moreau and Souray are really close. I don’t think Souray would lead that much better than Moreau. In today’s game it's rare to have ONE leader; instead it's more of a group that leads and with Souray and Moreau being fairly tight, I don’t see how Souray would be that more vocal with a "C" instead of an "A."

Why didn’t the Oilers sign Omark? I’ve only seen him on YouTube highlights but he sure looks skilled. —Andy

The Oilers are currently at 50 contracts until July 1st, unless they make a two for one deal before then, so it was impossible to sign Omark. They could have agreed to a deal and not announced it the July, but from the conversations I’ve had with management, he was looking for a one-way deal.

The Oilers have too many contracts right now and they weren’t willing to give him a one-way deal. It is hard to evaluate how good he is because the SEL (Swedish Elite League) isn’t that highly regarded.

Fabian Brunnstrom, who many thought was better than Omark, signed a two-way deal with Dallas last year. I spoke to a European scout last week and he said Omark has loads of talent, but he needs to get stronger before playing in the NHL, and he (scout) said he heard Omark signed in Russia for the money but also to test himself. He signed a two-year deal with Moscow Dynamo, but with an out-clause after the first year. The Oilers will watch him closely and if he holds his own it sounds like they will find a way to entice him to come over next year.

I asked the scout if he thought Omark could crack the Oilers lineup this coming year and he said it was doubtful. I can’t comment on how good he is, because I have never seen him play a full game. I could care less about his sweet moves in the shoot-out, because those only help if your team gets to the shoot-out.

I really liked Jim Matheson’s idea of trading Hemsky. Would you trade him right now? —Brandon

I wouldn’t trade him for Brown and Greene, because you need skill to win, and if the Oilers trade Hemsky they are losing their most skilled player. Of course, if he was part of a package to acquire a proven sniper like Kovalchuk then I would do that deal.

I think Hemsky needs to be more consistent, and since I don’t see the Thrashers dealing Kovalchuk this summer, the Oilers should focus on getting another top-six forward with skill that is comfortable playing LW.

Hemsky is rare, in that he is willing to go in the tough areas, but at times he doesn’t seem willing to do all the little things that will propel him to great status. I think having a new coach will get his attention, but it will naturally excite him as well. He became frustrated last year, and even though he did squat after publicly stating he wanted to be the go-to-guy, I think he will come to camp with lots to prove this year.

The most important factor with Hemsky might be his contract. With the cap going down next year, the Oilers will need more players who outperform their contracts rather than those who underachieve. Hemsky’s contract will look even better if the cap figure is 47-50 million in 2010.

Do you think there is room for Peckham, Smid and Staios next year? —Darren in Millwoods.

Good question. It seems obvious that one of Souray, Gilbert, Visnovsky or Grebeshkov will be dealt. If that happens and they get a forward in return then yes all three could be here. I get a sense that Steve Staios will be the veteran on the move this summer. Smid’s game has improved to the point that he can replace all the intangibles that Staois brings, and he is a better passer.

Even with one of the big four getting dealt, I still see Staios being moved. While some think he is overpaid, his $2.7 salary isn’t that scary, and if he isn’t asked to play more than 19 minutes a night I think he can still be effective.

Would there be room for Smid, Staios and Peckham? Yes, but I don’t see all of them being here when the Oilers return to the ice in mid September.

Parting shot

I highly recommend reading this article from Mike Wise. It is rare to have an athlete divulge this much information on what has to be a very touchy subject. Many fans don’t like Brashear, but it would be hard not to respect him after reading what he has had to overcome. It is a wonderful piece of journalism by Wise. I’ve always said being a heavyweight is the hardest job in sports, but his role pales in comparison to what he endured as a child.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
One of Canada's most versatile sports personalities. Jason hosts The Jason Gregor Show, weekdays from 2 to 6 p.m., on TSN 1260, and he writes a column every Monday in the Edmonton Journal. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/JasonGregor
Avatar
#51 Quinn
May 05 2009, 03:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Halak by the numbers Bulldogs 06-07 28gp 16w 11L 6SO 54GA 796SA .932SV% 2.00GAA 07-08 28gp 15w 10L 2SO 57GA 803SA .929SV% 2.10GAA Canadiens 08-09 34gp 18w 14L 1SO 92GA 1077SA .915SV% 2.86GAA

Based on what I understand of Desjardins, this would seem to be the right curve for him (I would go further back, but I have ignored my students too long already). I expect that we could expect to see him plateau or improve slightly next season, which isn't fabulous numbers, but a big improvement over our current only signed NHL goalie.

Avatar
#52 dizzle
May 05 2009, 03:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Jason Gregor wrote:

There will be way more moves than just Staios and Nilsson. They have too many forwards under contract, so expect a few more to move.

I agree that there could be more moves, however, that roster still falls under the 56 million dollar cap. Not to mention the allowance this year of Cogs and Gagner's bonus' to exceed the cap (roughly 1 million).

In other word's, I am preaching patience. A new coach, a year older and stronger for the kids will be more beneficial that blowing up the roster or trading good young d-men under reasonable contracts.

And why would you even suggest Labarbera? I’m perplexed why people think he is the answer, yet want to cast aside Deslauriers. Give the kid a shot and see what he can do. He didn’t embarrass himself in the limited action he had last year.

The Sphere' back in the summer of 05 kept saying "give Conklin and Markannen a go." Look how that worked out.

We need to learn from our mistakes and not go with two young goalies, so here are our options.

A) bring in a young goalies (Halak or Harding) and then provide veteran backup (Rollie or Labarbera)

B) Bring in a veteran starter (Biron) and have JDD mentor under the vet.

I believe that move A is the more cap friendly and I think better in the long run. I just feel that there needs to be a failsafe instead of two young goalies. I would send JDD down to the farm to dual with DD

Avatar
#53 Chris
May 05 2009, 03:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Ogden Brother wrote:

He left the Ducks with 22 million in only 6 guys, so it’s not like their in a far better position

Whoa! Hommerism.

Top 6 2010/11 Oiler Contracts: Duck Contracts Visnovsky 5.6 Giguere 6.0 Horcoff 5.5 Getzlaf 5.325 Souray 5.4 Perry 5.325 Penner 4.25 Whitney 4.0 Hemsky 4.1 Parros 0.875 Gilbert 4.0 Carter 0.625

Total: 28.85 22.7

Other Than the Giguere contract the Ducks are GOLD! WAY better position moving forward. Contracts aside, I would trade all SIX Oiler players for Getzlaf and Perry... And so would any GM in the league.

Avatar
#54 Archaeologuy
May 05 2009, 03:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Chris wrote:

I would trade all SIX Oiler players for Getzlaf and Perry… And so would any GM in the league.

I doubt any GM in the league would trade away their best 3 defensemen and their best forward for 2 players not named Ovechkin/Malkin/Crosby. Especially when Hemsky has the same point per game ratio as one of the players in return.

Avatar
#55 Ogden Brother
May 05 2009, 03:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Chris wrote:

Ogden Brother wrote: He left the Ducks with 22 million in only 6 guys, so it’s not like their in a far better position Whoa! Hommerism. Top 6 2010/11 Oiler Contracts: Duck Contracts Visnovsky 5.6 Giguere 6.0 Horcoff 5.5 Getzlaf 5.325 Souray 5.4 Perry 5.325 Penner 4.25 Whitney 4.0 Hemsky 4.1 Parros 0.875 Gilbert 4.0 Carter 0.625 Total: 28.85 22.7 Other Than the Giguere contract the Ducks are GOLD! WAY better position moving forward. Contracts aside, I would trade all SIX Oiler players for Getzlaf and Perry… And so would any GM in the league.

Sadly the team isn't made up of 6 players. They need to fill 4 top 6 Offensive spots and 3 top 4 defensive spots. What do you think that will cost?

Avatar
#56 Chris
May 05 2009, 03:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Ogden Brother wrote:

Sadly the team isn’t made up of 6 players

Now you're just being difficult. I mean who really has 15 or so players under contract through 2011? With the cap going down having less contracts on the books is a GOOD thing.

Avatar
#57 Chris
May 05 2009, 04:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Archaeologuy wrote:

Especially when Hemsky has the same point per game ratio as one of the players in return.

Hemsky is not even half the player that Getzlaf or Perry is... I don't care how optimistic you are about his potential. (A hockey player is measured by more than just point production)

It's my guess that Tambellini is thinking real hard right now about whether or not Hemsky is the right guy to build his team around.

Avatar
#58 Archaeologuy
May 05 2009, 04:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Chris: This just in, A Flames Fan would trade the entire Oiler starting Lineup for 2 players. Stop the Presses!

I'm guessing Tambi wished he had more than JUST Hemsky to build around.

I dont have to worry about Hemsky's potential, he already posted his points. Perry and Getzlaf are excellent players, but TWICE the player Hemsky is? Maybe we'd know that if Getzlaf or Perry was forced to play without the other. Neither are good enough however to justify trading 3 offensive D-men and Hemsky. Your statement was ridiculous.

Avatar
#59 Chris
May 05 2009, 04:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Chris wrote:

Contracts aside, I would trade all SIX Oiler players for Getzlaf and Perry… And so would any GM in the league

This may have been an overstatement... and I'm too tired to fight with all the guys who love every single Oiler player as if they were their own child...

That said, I'm 100% certain that Bob Murray has inherited a much better situation than Steve Tambellini.

Avatar
#60 john thompson
May 05 2009, 04:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I have heard from a number of people around the Oilers that the leadership core WAS cancerous and greatly inhibited the young players. The dressing room was one of the worse the Oilers have ever had and that cannot be positive.

Moreau rides to games and practices with Souray because they live a block apart on the west end. That does not make them close

Nothing should be off the table. We have an expensive, small underacheiving team that is incredibly easy to play against.

Avatar
#61 Chris
May 05 2009, 04:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Archaeologuy:

Why do you keep calling me a Flames fan? I hate the Flames. I'm a long time Oilers season ticket holder and enthusiast...

Avatar
#62 Archaeologuy
May 05 2009, 04:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Chris: Sorry, there was another Chris from Flames Nation that i must have seen on here before

Avatar
#63 Archaeologuy
May 05 2009, 04:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Archaeologuy wrote:

@ Chris: Sorry, there was another Chris from Flames Nation that i must have seen on here before

LOL, i love that for Oiler fans being called a Flames' fan is almost the worst thing imaginable.

Avatar
#64 Jonathan Willis
May 05 2009, 04:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Chris wrote:

Hemsky is not even half the player that Getzlaf or Perry is… I don’t care how optimistic you are about his potential. (A hockey player is measured by more than just point production)

That's insane. Not even half the player? Hemsky's only two years older than Perry - and he has 136 more points. You may not have the energy to argue with "all the guys who love every single Oiler player as if they were their own child" but I'm sick of arguing with a guy who figures that every Oiler is far worse than any objective measure would indicate.

You realize Anaheim only finished six points up on the Oilers, right? One series win doesn't mean that the talent gap has suddenly increased to the degree you claim.

Avatar
#65 Ogden Brother
May 05 2009, 04:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Chris wrote:

Ogden Brother wrote: Sadly the team isn’t made up of 6 players Now you’re just being difficult. I mean who really has 15 or so players under contract through 2011? With the cap going down having less contracts on the books is a GOOD thing.

You know the last 18 months or so has given us a really interesting change of view points. 2 years ago, it was "good" to have a big part of your line-up locked up, now because were likely to have 1 year of a major cap reduction it's suddenly the greatest thing in the world to have 0 roster players but a whole town of that great cap space!

Cap space is great, but it needs to be used to translate into cap success, assuming that Ryan gets a matching 5.3 contract their going to have roughly 60%+ of thier cap for the 2010 season in 5 guys, they'll have zero depth and have to fill out a whole roster for 20 million dollars.

Cap space is great but Pronger+Nieds+Temmu is better... those guys need to be replaced for the team to stay where they are.

Avatar
#66 Ogden Brother
May 05 2009, 04:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Ogden Brother:

*Whole tonne of cap space*

Avatar
#67 Chris
May 05 2009, 04:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Jonathan Willis:

Six points and a million miles... Sorry Willis. You caught me in a foul mood. I've been watching Perry and Getzlaf play huge minutes in the PLAYOFFS... one season removed from defending their STANLEY CUP title... With the memory fresh in my mind of Hemsky asking to be "the man" then contributing what...one maybe two goals down the stretch. Point production aside... Hemsky is an enigma. Brilliant for short stretches before becoming a ghost. There can probably be an intelligent argument made that no one player in the NHL is actually TWICE as good as a lesser more fringe player in terms of ability... but really! Hemsky need to DO something as a teammate and a man before being compared to players like Perry, or for that matter even Dustin Brown. I'm glad Hemmer goes to the tough areas of the ice... but he is usually a fancy floater, who RARELY takes control of a game.

Avatar
#68 David S
May 05 2009, 05:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Hemsky was talking alot like he wanted to be Ovechkin. That didn't work out so good. Watching Crosby and Ovechkin step up the other night really showed me what being a superstar is really all about. Hemsky's good but he's not in their league. In reality I think he's a 1A that needs a #1.

Avatar
#69 West Coast Oil
May 05 2009, 07:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Chris

Not saying this to be difficult but I would love your opinion of Horcoff

Avatar
#70 Chris
May 05 2009, 08:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Jonathan Willis wrote:

but I’m sick of arguing with a guy who figures that every Oiler is far worse than any objective measure would indicate

Hemsky is tied for 44th in league scoring. He has six career playoff goals and has only twice scored twenty in the regular season. Since the lockout his growth has been largly stagnant: playing around 70 games a season scoring about .93 points/game with first line minutes/powerplay time.

I'm a closet Hemsky doubter. There I've said it. I want to like Hemsky...after all I'm an Oiler fan and he's our best player. I keep waiting and waiting for his breakout season...and waiting some more. I know he's only 25 or so... but so many of the leagues best players are younger than Hemsky now... Many, many players in this league find ways to have an impact almost every night, despite lacking the obvious talent Hemsky posseses.

The thing about Hemsky is... he is a stereotypical prima-donna superstar... but without the numbers. Hemsky doesn't hit; rarely wins puck battles; doesn't take draws or kill penalties; never sticks up for himself; frequently puts himself in vulnerable positions (for which we applaud); constantly turns the puck over; and only occasionally remains engaged for an entire game. He is what he is: a dynamic stickhandler with speed to burn; and a wicked shot: who seems unable to take the next step. He teases us with flashes of brilliance... then like a shooting star disappears into the night.

I don't care if Hemsky single-handedly won the Columbus game... I seem to remember Steve MacIntyre doing the same thing, a differnt way, against the Flames... How do you objectively measure a man like Hemsky? Is his 0.92 points per game enough? Why not talk about his failure to produce when the pressure was really on? How do you quantify THAT cooly and statictically? I sat at ice level the night of the stick-measurement fiasco against the Ducks... I stared into Hemsky's eyes and they were blank. Stats/Schmats... You CAN'T build a team around a guy like that!

Johnathan, you say I am guilty of undervaluing our players? Maybe. My arguments are based on observation and can be tainted by emotion. I'll admit this. But as an Oiler Fan I've had the privledge of watching a lot of great players over the years... and despite all the statistical arguments in the world: Hemsky is not one of them. Not yet anyway.

Avatar
#71 Chris
May 05 2009, 08:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ West Coast Oil:

I like Horcoff. I think he got a rich contract and I sometimes wonder if his friendship with Katz may have been a factor. Horcoff really seemed to fight the puck last year: He often had trouble handling a pass, uncharacteristically missed a lot of one-time opportunities, and generally blew a lot of routine plays. I think MacTavish overplayed Horcoff who had a long offseason complete with shoulder surgery. That considered, I expect Horcoff to have a bounce back year. If healthy, Shawn will score twenty goals, win important draws, and competently play some of the toughest minutes. I'm not sure that he will ever be a point per game guy; and Oiler fans are unrealistic to expect this; But the Oilers need him.

Avatar
#72 Archaeologuy
May 05 2009, 09:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Chris wrote:

I like Horcoff.

Chris wrote:

I’m a closet Hemsky doubter.

I think you are my antithesis. We are set up to have some epic battles sir.

Avatar
#73 DonDon
May 05 2009, 09:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

John Thompson said: Nothing should be off the table. We have an expensive, small underacheiving team that is incredibly easy to play against.

Can't agree more. Add "soft" in regard to puck control. I hope that most of the Oilers' forwards are watching the Stanley Cup playoff games for their intensity and the unselfishness of most players. Good thing the Oil didn't make it again this year as they would have been eaten alive. And if major improvements don't happen, we'll be watching the same crappy hockey during next season's regular games.

Avatar
#74 Ogden Brother
May 05 2009, 09:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Chris wrote:

Jonathan Willis wrote: but I’m sick of arguing with a guy who figures that every Oiler is far worse than any objective measure would indicate Hemsky is tied for 44th in league scoring. He has six career playoff goals and has only twice scored twenty in the regular season. Since the lockout his growth has been largly stagnant: playing around 70 games a season scoring about .93 points/game with first line minutes/powerplay time. I’m a closet Hemsky doubter. There I’ve said it. I want to like Hemsky…after all I’m an Oiler fan and he’s our best player. I keep waiting and waiting for his breakout season…and waiting some more. I know he’s only 25 or so… but so many of the leagues best players are younger than Hemsky now… Many, many players in this league find ways to have an impact almost every night, despite lacking the obvious talent Hemsky posseses. The thing about Hemsky is… he is a stereotypical prima-donna superstar… but without the numbers. Hemsky doesn’t hit; rarely wins puck battles; doesn’t take draws or kill penalties; never sticks up for himself; frequently puts himself in vulnerable positions (for which we applaud); constantly turns the puck over; and only occasionally remains engaged for an entire game. He is what he is: a dynamic stickhandler with speed to burn; and a wicked shot: who seems unable to take the next step. He teases us with flashes of brilliance… then like a shooting star disappears into the night. I don’t care if Hemsky single-handedly won the Columbus game… I seem to remember Steve MacIntyre doing the same thing, a differnt way, against the Flames… How do you objectively measure a man like Hemsky? Is his 0.92 points per game enough? Why not talk about his failure to produce when the pressure was really on? How do you quantify THAT cooly and statictically? I sat at ice level the night of the stick-measurement fiasco against the Ducks… I stared into Hemsky’s eyes and they were blank. Stats/Schmats… You CAN’T build a team around a guy like that! Johnathan, you say I am guilty of undervaluing our players? Maybe. My arguments are based on observation and can be tainted by emotion. I’ll admit this. But as an Oiler Fan I’ve had the privledge of watching a lot of great players over the years… and despite all the statistical arguments in the world: Hemsky is not one of them. Not yet anyway.

For the most part I would agree, it was coumpound with his play in the last 30 or so this year, he's a second tier star (which is fine) he could still move into the elite, but time is ticking.... fast.

I like him, he's an excellent player and I'd love to see him blossom into a legit, consistant all star. But I'd have to say he's overated by alot of Oiler fans.

Avatar
#75 mr bean ascout
May 06 2009, 05:02AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

who thougt fabian brunnstrom was better then omark? brunnstrom-2007-2008 Färjestad Elitserien 54 9 28 37 16

omark-2007-2008 Luleå Elitserien 55 11 21 32 46 this are from last year and brunnstrom is 2 years older and played in a topteam(surrundings)

omark-2008-2009 Luleå Elitserien 53 23 32 55 66

omarks rookieyear-2006-2007 Luleå Elitserien 50 8 9 17 32 he was 1 of 4 candidate for the rookie of the year his curve pointing up in the sky (to everyone too seems hes a youtube product).

he is top 5 in the world cup goal/ass so far(yes agaist bad teams as stluis,stamkos,kovalchuck etc.)

why is no oilers scouts talk about his "attributes" skating,balance,stickhandling etc. he is always a threat have seen him a couple of years now. he had played in a crappy team and carried it true the season.the wc-coach had a load of nhl-swedes too pick,but most of them wasnt good enough(r. nilsson one of them) to many roll-players. p.berglund st louis came 2008-2009 St. Louis Blues NHL 75 21 26 47 16 rookieseason he has failed now he plays in th 4-line with about 5 min a game he started in the 2-line.

lou eriksson 2008-2009 Dallas Stars NHL 82 36 27 63 14 has made 1-3-4 points and he plays in the first line with topscorer weinhandl.

u cant have a one way deal as a rookie,but u can have the oilers telling you that u are in there plans and we have a spot for u we believe in you,and not about size strenght and try to find bad things too add.

omark is the best fw in sweden this year probably top5 including khl, you dont offer him a 550k try out with a plan to put him at ahl for a year.

Avatar
#76 kingsblade
May 06 2009, 09:14AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

mr bean ascout wrote:

who thougt fabian brunnstrom was better then omark? brunnstrom-2007-2008 Färjestad Elitserien 54 9 28 37 16 omark-2007-2008 Luleå Elitserien 55 11 21 32 46 this are from last year and brunnstrom is 2 years older and played in a topteam(surrundings) omark-2008-2009 Luleå Elitserien 53 23 32 55 66 omarks rookieyear-2006-2007 Luleå Elitserien 50 8 9 17 32 he was 1 of 4 candidate for the rookie of the year his curve pointing up in the sky (to everyone too seems hes a youtube product). he is top 5 in the world cup goal/ass so far(yes agaist bad teams as stluis,stamkos,kovalchuck etc.) why is no oilers scouts talk about his “attributes” skating,balance,stickhandling etc. he is always a threat have seen him a couple of years now. he had played in a crappy team and carried it true the season.the wc-coach had a load of nhl-swedes too pick,but most of them wasnt good enough(r. nilsson one of them) to many roll-players. p.berglund st louis came 2008-2009 St. Louis Blues NHL 75 21 26 47 16 rookieseason he has failed now he plays in th 4-line with about 5 min a game he started in the 2-line. lou eriksson 2008-2009 Dallas Stars NHL 82 36 27 63 14 has made 1-3-4 points and he plays in the first line with topscorer weinhandl. u cant have a one way deal as a rookie,but u can have the oilers telling you that u are in there plans and we have a spot for u we believe in you,and not about size strenght and try to find bad things too add. omark is the best fw in sweden this year probably top5 including khl, you dont offer him a 550k try out with a plan to put him at ahl for a year.

You also don't give a prima donna everything he demands because he scores points in Sweden. He's upset because they are concerned about his size and strength? Maybe he needs to consider the fact that the Oilers wanting him to develop is for his own good.

Avatar
#77 Chris
May 06 2009, 09:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Archaeologuy:

Everyone can LIKE Horcoff... If they can just accept the fact that he will never be a dynamic offensive force. Everyone LOVED Arnott for one season... then the poor bugger had the misfortune of scoring thirty goals... so suddenly all the Oiler fans got it in thier head that this twenty year old kid was destined to be a perennial fifty goal guy... When the expectations of the drunken masses were slighted; we lit our torches and ran another great young Oiler out of town. Thank God Gagner didn't pot thirty his rookie season; or his head would have been on a pike by game forty...

Avatar
#78 mr bean ascout
May 06 2009, 09:52AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

kingsblade wrote:

You also don’t give a prima donna everything he demands because he scores points in Sweden. He’s upset because they are concerned about his size and strength? Maybe he needs to consider the fact that the Oilers wanting him to develop is for his own good.

3 years of missing the playoffs a lot of bad buys. maybee it make you bitter, but the fact is omark is nhl-ready ive seen a lot of swedes making a good job over there with less skills and talang then omark,do not overate the nhl and underrate other leagues or the wc with your horcoff make almost nothing. omark are small but strong inside with great balance and a produce whereever he is, your not a primadonna because u wants a decent paycheck and some belief in you.

read and belivie everthing you read from media make a hen from a feather.

Avatar
#79 Archaeologuy
May 06 2009, 10:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Chris wrote:

so suddenly all the Oiler fans got it in thier head that this twenty year old kid was destined to be a perennial fifty goal guy…

This kind of sounds like how some people are upset at Hemsky

Avatar
#80 Chris
May 06 2009, 03:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Archaeologuy:

In case this is what you're driving at: I didn't mean to sound like I was upset at Hemsky. I'm not. He is what he is. I'm upset at all the people who go on pretending that Hemsky is a legit star. (People who ignore obvious deficits in Hemsky's game but find ways to compare him favorably to the likes of Getzlaf or LeCavlier, etc)

After another tough season I'm beginning to think Oiler fans should adjust their expectations for Hemsky down. Let's consider the fact that Hemsky's offensive numbers haven't improved much for three seasons in a row; therefore it may be wise not to EXPECT a sudden improvement next season. Just because I think Hemsky is not as good a player as Getzlaf, and has some serious problems with consistancy; doesn't mean I hate Hemsky, or think he needs to go. I DID say that I am a closet Hemsky doubter. Let me clarify. I mean I'm beginning to doubt that Hemsky is the right guy to build the Oilers offence around.

Avatar
#81 Archaeologuy
May 06 2009, 03:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Chris: I dont know how you get the idea that Hemsky had a tough season, he played 72 games (missed 10 because of a concussion, not exactly a hang-nail) at .92 points per game. That is the same as Corey Perry and better than Staal, Spezza, Vanek, and Heatley and the Amazingly under-whelming Lecavalier. He also led the team in goal scoring and points. His previous year was actually better than that. Yet I'm sure you'd trade him straight up for any of the names on that list and think the Oil WITHOUT QUESTION won the trade. Doubt if he'll get better all you want, but he is already as good as all of those players, offensively speaking.

Avatar
#82 Chris
May 06 2009, 04:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Archaeologuy wrote:

Doubt if he’ll get better all you want, but he is already as good as all of those players, offensively speaking.

You know, it IS possible to be a Hemsky fan without completely ignoring the HUGE deficits in his game. Each of the players you listed are STARS in this league. Hemsky is only a star in your own mind.

Avatar
#83 Chris
May 06 2009, 04:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Archaeologuy:

Hemsky scored at a .913 PPG average the first THREE seasons after the lockout. Last Season his PPG average was .92... So what makes Oiler fans think his production is going to suddenly and drastically improve next year?

Or are you saying you are completely satisfied with Hemsky's performance as is?

Avatar
#84 BigE57
May 06 2009, 07:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Yes Arch, you assume correctly. Please don't hold it against me specifically my support for MacT down the stretch. I have never been a proponent of coaches being sacked in mid-season unless things are completely dire. Looking back I think the right move was made at the end of the season and do apologize for bashing you in some posts. I'm kinda embarassed after seeing subsequent posts by OMOF.

As for the above topic Hemsky IS the guy you build around with a bona fide shooter of Kovalchuk or Ovechkin ilk.

Avatar
#85 Archaeologuy
May 06 2009, 11:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Chris wrote:

Or are you saying you are completely satisfied with Hemsky’s performance as is?

I'm saying that if he never gets better, he is still a very elite talent in the NHL. I'm like everyone else, for years I would scream at the TV when he would streak into the offensive zone and subsequently make a drop pass to the Defenseman he just beat. Or I would yell "shoot" when he had the puck in the slot and the goalie was down and out, except he would pass it off to some putz with stone hands. I think he will continue to get better, but without anyone else of his calibre there's really only so much he can do. Give him a shooting C or LW and he might push that point per game mark.

@ BigE57: Yeah, I dont worry about that stuff on Sportsnet. Some guys dont have a very good sense of humour, but whatever. I respect anyone who is willing to back up their argument even if I disagree with it. And it isnt like I havent made fun of anyone myself. OMOF is off his rocker though, that guy snapped completely with about a month left in the season. I picture him with a shrine to MacTavish in his basement complete with locks of hair and old gym socks.

Avatar
#86 BigE57
May 07 2009, 08:12AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

A guy like that doesn't usually have a basement. His shrine is likely in the back of his 1975 boogie van or in his room at the Y.

Avatar
#87 Chris
May 07 2009, 08:29AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Archaeologuy wrote:

I think he will continue to get better, but without anyone else of his calibre there’s really only so much he can do. Give him a shooting C or LW and he might push that point per game mark.

This is the exact argument that proves Hemsky is not (yet) a true star player in this league... There is this perception that Hemsky won't have a breakthrough 25-30 goal 85-100 point season without help from an even higher end player.(Hossa, Jager) You value Hemmer up there with Getzlaf..?.. Well, Penner scored nearly thirty goals playing with Getzlaf. If Hemsky were a true star player; a guy who competed EVERY night; maybe Horc and Penner (Who aren't exactly chopped liver) would score more.

Now, I know we have all witnessed Horcoff repeatedly miss-handle a beautiful Hemsky feed... But on the other hand, we have all also witnessed Horcoff bust a nut skating to the slot only to have Hemsky dipsy-doodle the puck away just inside the line... Very few lines in hockey are made up of three equally awesome players. It's up to your best player to lead the offence, set the tone, and make everyone else better. If Hemsky can't be that guy, then he is just another high quality complimentary player, on whom you don't build your franchise.

Avatar
#88 Ogden Brother
May 07 2009, 08:39AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Chris wrote:

Archaeologuy wrote: I think he will continue to get better, but without anyone else of his calibre there’s really only so much he can do. Give him a shooting C or LW and he might push that point per game mark. This is the exact argument that proves Hemsky is not (yet) a true star player in this league… There is this perception that Hemsky won’t have a breakthrough 25-30 goal 85-100 point season without help from an even higher end player.(Hossa, Jager) You value Hemmer up there with Getzlaf..?.. Well, Penner scored nearly thirty goals playing with Getzlaf. If Hemsky were a true star player; a guy who competed EVERY night; maybe Horc and Penner (Who aren’t exactly chopped liver) would score more. Now, I know we have all witnessed Horcoff repeatedly miss-handle a beautiful Hemsky feed… But on the other hand, we have all also witnessed Horcoff bust a nut skating to the slot only to have Hemsky dipsy-doodle the puck away just inside the line… Very few lines in hockey are made up of three equally awesome players. It’s up to your best player to lead the offence, set the tone, and make everyone else better. If Hemsky can’t be that guy, then he is just another high quality complimentary player, on whom you don’t build your franchise.

Makes me wish we would finally get that elite player so we can put to rest the myth that Hemsky's #'s would sky rocket with him.

Avatar
#89 Chris
May 07 2009, 08:51AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Ogden Brother wrote:

Makes me wish we would finally get that elite player so we can put to rest the myth that Hemsky’s #’s would sky rocket with him.

His name is Gagner. He will really come into his own just as Hemsky's contract is up. DAMN YOU HOCKEY-GODS!

Avatar
#90 Archaeologuy
May 07 2009, 09:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Chris wrote:

This is the exact argument that proves Hemsky is not (yet) a true star player in this league… There is this perception that Hemsky won’t have a breakthrough 25-30 goal 85-100 point season without help from an even higher end player.(Hossa, Jager) You value Hemmer up there with Getzlaf..?.. Well, Penner scored nearly thirty goals playing with Getzlaf.

Penner scored nearly 30 goals playing with Getzlaf AND Perry on the 2nd line against weaker competition.

And what makes you think that Horc's numbers arent already inflated because he was playing with Hemsky? How much better can anyone make that guy look? As far as scoring between 85-100, only ELEVEN players scored 85 or above this past season, TEN the year before. That's it. People just dont score at that pace very often. Will he be a top 10 player in the league? I doubt it, but that isnt a knock against him.

Find me a player who scored anywhere close to what you want Hemsky to score WITHOUT another player who put up decent numbers. Getzlaf has Perry, Lecav has St. Louis (who is better by the way), Crosby has Malkin, Hemsky has Horc. One of these things just doesnt belong.

Avatar
#91 Ogden Brother
May 07 2009, 10:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Archaeologuy wrote:

Chris wrote: This is the exact argument that proves Hemsky is not (yet) a true star player in this league… There is this perception that Hemsky won’t have a breakthrough 25-30 goal 85-100 point season without help from an even higher end player.(Hossa, Jager) You value Hemmer up there with Getzlaf..?.. Well, Penner scored nearly thirty goals playing with Getzlaf. Penner scored nearly 30 goals playing with Getzlaf AND Perry on the 2nd line against weaker competition. And what makes you think that Horc’s numbers arent already inflated because he was playing with Hemsky? How much better can anyone make that guy look? As far as scoring between 85-100, only ELEVEN players scored 85 or above this past season, TEN the year before. That’s it. People just dont score at that pace very often. Will he be a top 10 player in the league? I doubt it, but that isnt a knock against him. Find me a player who scored anywhere close to what you want Hemsky to score WITHOUT another player who put up decent numbers. Getzlaf has Perry, Lecav has St. Louis (who is better by the way), Crosby has Malkin, Hemsky has Horc. One of these things just doesnt belong.

Parise/Kovalchuk/Nash are all more or less doing it on their own.

Avatar
#92 Archaeologuy
May 07 2009, 10:23AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Ogden Brother wrote:

Parise/Kovalchuk/Nash are all more or less doing it on their own.

Parise has Elias 31-47-78 1.01 points per game

Kovalchuk has Kozlov 26-50-76 .93 points per game

Nash is the only player you mentioned that has a case similar to Hemsky. He was also the 1st overall pick for a reason.

Avatar
#93 Chris
May 07 2009, 10:51AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Archaeologuy:

Not to nitpick, but Crosby does not play with Malkin.

If you are MY "antithesis" then Hemsky is Ryan Smyths antithesis. One player is all heart, commitment, and consistancy... but lacks the speed, shot, and overall skill level to be considered a legit star league-wide. (Great player descent numbers) The other player has the complete tool bag. Speed, hands, the shot...(also a great player with descent numbers); but is lacking in the other categories. I like both players... But to be a "star" in this league you have to bring more to the table than just heart on one hand, or glitter, on the other. Most analysts would tell you, the Oilers have been lacking a clear-cut offensive team leader/star ever since Doug Weight left... Hence our ongoing debate.

If Hemsky used his linemates better (instead of us just calling for better linemates), took on more of a leadership role, and elevated his play during key situations; I'd be happy to be another of many Oilers fans who consider Hemsky a "star".

I guess we just disagree. It's been fun though.

Avatar
#94 Archaeologuy
May 07 2009, 11:03AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Chris: yeah, i like the debates, and I loved Smyth's passion. The heart of the team really did get ripped out the day he was traded. One of the worst hockey days of my life (i was too young to care enough when Gretz was sold).

I would love to see Hemsky have Smyth's personality, but that isnt the guy Hemmer is probably ever going to be. However, he is just now coming into his prime as a forward (25-32ish) and isnt too old to take a step up.

Avatar
#95 mr bean ascout
May 08 2009, 02:33AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

A lot of people says that oilers wasnt prepared for omarks sucess and didnt had a spot for him too fight for.

But he visit the developement camp last year (check out this clip) http://oilers.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=365387&page=NewsPage&service=page

what did he show up there ? must be some reports from that camp! from this short interview everything seems too set up for oilers 2009/2010.I hope this media-war stop soon its not gonna benefit oilers or omarks relations.And i really dont thrust k. nilsson as a scout father of r.nilsson his spot in danger. k.nilsson made a really negative interview about the omark situation in swedish media, that he making wrong running for cash and he must earn the spot and we own his right anyway. maybee he wants it infected and it end up with omarks right in a trade.good or bad if that happens only future can answer that.

Avatar
#96 hkuzbyzoe
October 09 2009, 07:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

7Wbf1l ciboahyfuijh, [url=http://gvpupvgouhgb.com/]gvpupvgouhgb[/url], [link=http://ihgasnaghjxn.com/]ihgasnaghjxn[/link], http://rmiuggfofvnv.com/

Comments are closed for this article.