Pre-Draft Questions that Need Answers

Jason Gregor
June 17 2009 02:48PM

roli_crouched

The anticipation across the NHL and specifically for the fans will increase daily as we are now within ten days of the 2009 NHL entry draft. The scuttlebutt has the Islanders prepared to take Victor Hedman instead of John Tavares, but it’s not a slam dunk.

As we get closer to the draft and the start of free agency the Nation has been asking some great questions. **If you have any questions you want answered email Gregor at jason@justagame.ca.

I’ve read various reports on which Oilers need to clear waivers next year, but none seem right. Which current Oilers have to clear waivers at the start of next season? — Garrett in the Park

Good question, since it's likely the Oilers might have to try and hide a guy in the minors. Rather than list which guys have to clear waivers, I will tell who doesn’t.

Gilbert Brule doesn’t have to clear waivers at the start of the year, but once he plays three NHL games then he would have to.

Rob Schremp, Devon Dubnyk and Liam Reddox don’t have to clear waivers. They have only played three pro years, and have yet to play 160 NHL games, plus they are under 25. I have no idea why anyone would think Reddox needs to clear waivers. If a player has played four years pro, then he has to clear waivers regardless of how many NHL games he has played, or if he is over 25 years of age when the season starts.

Chorney and Peckham don’t have to clear.

Bubble guys that need to clear are Pouliot, MacIntyre, Jacques, Potulny (although I don’t think he has a chance of making team) and Stone.

Who do you think is the best option for the Oilers in goal next year? — Anderson

I still maintain their best option for next year is to sign Roloson to a one-year deal. The problem with that is he is looking for a two-year pact, and the Oilers won’t give him one unless it is worth $1.5 million per season.

Craig Anderson is 28 and Scott Clemmensen is 32, and both had decent years last year. The problem is they’ve only played more than 30 games once. The good thing is that neither can realistically demand more than $1.5 to $1.8 million per season. If the Oilers believe in JDD then signing one of these two to push him and be there if he falters makes loads of sense.

Lots of fans are high on Harding, and feel he is better than Deslauriers due to his AHL numbers and his 50 more NHL games. I don’t see them going with two young, unproven goalies, so if they get Harding they have to trade JDD or basically give up on him and ship him to the minors. I get the sense the organization feels he is ready to take the next step and just needs a shot. I’d give the Harding/JDD combo a look, because the two young guys could push one another. But if Tambellini went with an experienced coaching staff, I’d be stunned if he went with inexperience at such a key position.

I’m not high on Biron or Niittymaki, but they are options.

I want to see what JDD can do. We’ve seen other teams give young goalies a chance and they’ve flourished, so why not him.

Stortini had 25 fights in 53 games last year, which would have put him close to 40 if he played all year. What is the record for most fights in a season? — Stan from the Woods

This question took me all over the place. The Elias Sports Bureau doesn’t even have this record. My go-to-guy at the NHL office is on holidays for three weeks, and the Flyers couldn’t get me a confirmed number on Dave Schultz, who I would think has to be close considering he holds the record for most PIMs in a season with 472.

In 1996/1997 Paul Laus from the Panthers had 39 tilts. Mike Peluso had 35 in 1991/1992 with the Devils. Those are the highest totals in the last 20 years. I know fighting was more common in the 70’s and 80’s, but there were more guys on each team who fought so it isn’t a guarantee that guys were fighting 50 times a year. I’m certain my guy at the NHL office will get the info and then I will relay to you.

Still Paul Laus dropping the flippers 39 times is a hell of a feat. His hands must have looked like hamburger by the end of the year.

I know this is a hockey site, but I’m a big Oiler and Rush fan. Do you know who the Rush will hire as coach and GM? — Steven

Smaller league means they have a smaller pool to pick from so it is easier to get a read on who they will go after. Derek Keenan, coached in Portland last year, former San Jose coach Walt Christensen, Troy Cordingly just coached the Roughnecks to the NLL championship but resigned, and his assistant and former Rock coach Terry Sanderson are the four guys at the top of the list.

There are lots of rumours that Portland will re-locate of even fold, if that happens, then Keenan will be courted heavily by the Rush and the Rock. Keenan, a cousin of Mike Keenan, is from Peterborough, and the Rock would love to have him in Toronto.

Cordingly left Calgary for alleged family reasons, because he wants to be closer to home back east, so maybe he wouldn’t want to come to Edmonton. Christensen is a west coast guy, and Sanderson wants to be a head coach again.

Keenan and Christensen have to be the front runners because they coach and be the GM.

And if Portland folds, Rush fans will be over the moon, because the Rush would have the first pick in the dispersal draft, and they could grab Brodie Merrill. Merrill is the best athlete in the league. He is a defender/transition guy, and not a true offensive stud, yet he still controls both ends of the floor. He is the face of Reebok in all of their lacrosse ads in the States and Canada. He would give the Rush an immediate impact player if indeed Portland folds, which is likely.

Peeters to talk coaching

Pete Peeters will be on my show today at 3:10 to talk about coaching goalies. And if you missed Pat Quinn yesterday go to www.justagame.ca and take a listen.

He stated the Oilers need an identity again. They are in looking for a goalie and he touched on his relationship with the Captain and what he expects from him.

Also Steve Ott from the Dallas Stars today at 3:30, he is always good for a few stories.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
One of Canada's most versatile sports personalities. Jason hosts The Jason Gregor Show, weekdays from 2 to 6 p.m., on TSN 1260, and he writes a column every Monday in the Edmonton Journal. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/JasonGregor
Avatar
#1 Ogden Brother
June 17 2009, 03:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Hey Gregor, was their ever anything to the Pronger stuff... or just a slip by Strickland?

Avatar
#2 NonMint
June 17 2009, 03:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Question(s):

What are the odds that Tavares or Vinny will be trade (if NYI picks Hedman), and if they are on the block, what are the odds the Oilers can acquire one of them?

Avatar
#3 OvenChicken8
June 17 2009, 03:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

This sounds like good/bad news for Brule. Good - if they like him he's staying for the year. Bad - if he doesn't show up 100% in camp he's going to be stuck in the minors all year

Avatar
#4 speeds
June 17 2009, 03:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Gregor, I've mentioned this before, but both Schremp and Brule need to clear waivers.

Brule because he played over 11 games as a 19 year old in 06/7, so his waiver exemption drops to 3 years and those 3 years are over.

Schremp signed at 19, and only gets 4 years from when he signs (not the number of pro years played). Those 4 years are over, he has to clear waivers this fall.

The rules are different for goalies, so Dubnyk has one more year without waivers.

Not sure on Reddox.

Avatar
#5 scorecoff hemmercules
June 17 2009, 03:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ NonMint:

I'll save Gregor some time. The answer is 0%. I believe Vinny has to be traded in the next two weeks or he has a NMC that kicks in after the draft, it's been repeated a million times by Tampa that Vinny is staying but I guess anything could happen. We would have to give up way too much to pry Tavares from anyone so I don't see that as an option since he is unproven in the bigs.

Avatar
#6 Ogden Brother
June 17 2009, 03:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

NonMint wrote:

Question(s): What are the odds that Tavares or Vinny will be trade (if NYI picks Hedman), and if they are on the block, what are the odds the Oilers can acquire one of them?

Kind of sounds like the NYI are trying to get TB to buck up some assets so they (TB) can get Headman.

Avatar
#7 scorecoff hemmercules
June 17 2009, 03:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ scorecoff hemmercules:

To clarify, that 0% is just the Oilers, not other teams. NMC = not interested in Edmonton.

Avatar
#8 Jason Gregor
June 17 2009, 03:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

speeds wrote:

Gregor, I’ve mentioned this before, but both Schremp and Brule need to clear waivers. Brule because he played over 11 games as a 19 year old in 06/7, so his waiver exemption drops to 3 years and those 3 years are over. Schremp signed at 19, and only gets 4 years from when he signs (not the number of pro years played). Those 4 years are over, he has to clear waivers this fall. The rules are different for goalies, so Dubnyk has one more year without waivers. Not sure on Reddox.

YOU ARE WRONG...it doesn't matter when Schremp signs, it matters how many years he PLAYS...As for Brule wrong again. He doesn't have to clear waivers. I have no idea why you think playing 19 games as a 19 year-old changes that. I've spoke with Rick Olczyk many times and neither are waiver eligible next year. Same as Reddox.

Just because you said it before that Brule is a free agent doesn't make it right. Your info or interpretation is completely wrong. I know this 100% since I spoke with Rick this week.

Avatar
#9 scorecoff hemmercules
June 17 2009, 03:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Jason Gregor:

Do you think Brule and/or Schremp will be on the team next season or does it pretty much depend on what other off season moves we do?? I personally can't see Robbie making it and I really haven't seen enough of Brule to know where he will fit into the roster.

Avatar
#10 Jason Gregor
June 17 2009, 03:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Your argument for Schremp is wrong...

IF he signs as a 19 year-old he plays FOUR years or 160 games then he has to clear waivers. Not three years.

Three years applies to 20-23 year olds.

As for Brule...He played SEVEN games his first year, not the 11 that is takes...so that is why he has four full years of eligibility not three. GP G A PTS Gilbert Brule...2005/2006... 7 2 2 4

That year doesn't affect his waiver eligibility.

Avatar
#11 Jason Gregor
June 17 2009, 03:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

scorecoff hemmercules wrote:

@ Jason Gregor: Do you think Brule and/or Schremp will be on the team next season or does it pretty much depend on what other off season moves we do?? I personally can’t see Robbie making it and I really haven’t seen enough of Brule to know where he will fit into the roster.

Schremp is a long shot from where I sit. The Oilers just have too many contracts right now, and he will have to beat out a guy like Nilsson to stick here.

Brule is in same boat, the difference is he can play on your 4th or 3rd line, because of how he plays, so at least he has a better chance. Quinn wants some guys who play with grit, and Brule at least has that element. I think Brule has a better shot, but it is a mid-range shot.

Avatar
#12 Mike
June 17 2009, 04:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ speeds:

Lowetide linked to your piece awhile ago and clearly you are wrong. You should get you stuff correct before you write and article, or better come on here and state you are correct. How can you not see seven games played and not 11...It is simple to find...go to hockeydb and you can find a players stats.

Once again this is why I myself rarely going to other sites on the web anymore. The NATION is accurate at least on simple things like seven games instead of 11... Lowetide should check his stats before he links to guys whose facts are wrong.

Avatar
#13 Craig "Norris" Muni
June 17 2009, 04:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Jason Gregor:

I think that Brule makes this team over Schremp and Pouliot. I have a feeling that Quinn is the key to unlocking the skills that Brule possess. I certainly think that their connection with the Giants helps Brule's cause as well as the aforementioned attributed for the 3rd/4th line. We'll see, but I just have a feeling that his shot is maybe a little better than "mid range."

Avatar
#14 Lofty
June 17 2009, 04:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Gregor,

Quick random question,

I havnt been in the dressin room since the Oil re-did it a couple years ago but I was wondering if the Messier door to the AV room is still there?

Avatar
#15 cm
June 17 2009, 04:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Mike: Your might change your mind about lowetide once you've had your 13th birthday.

I also don't see the necessity for the pointless jab at speeds.

Avatar
#16 Phil
June 17 2009, 06:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

All the high and mighty bloggers... so sad

Avatar
#17 shan
June 17 2009, 06:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Jason Gregor wrote:

Your argument for Schremp is wrong… IF he signs as a 19 year-old he plays FOUR years or 160 games then he has to clear waivers. Not three years. Three years applies to 20-23 year olds. As for Brule…He played SEVEN games his first year, not the 11 that is takes…so that is why he has four full years of eligibility not three. GP G A PTS Gilbert Brule…2005/2006… 7 2 2 4 That year doesn’t affect his waiver eligibility.

I could be wrong, but wasn't Brule 18 years old in 05/06? I think the rule states that as soon as a player who signs a contract at 18 (or 19) plays >11 games in a season the waiver exemption drops to three years. He played 78 games in 06/07. 07/08 and 08/09 would be years two and three.

I agree with Speeds that he ought to be waiver eligible. I apologize if I'm wrong...

Avatar
#18 Jason Gregor
June 17 2009, 06:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Ogden Brother wrote:

Hey Gregor, was their ever anything to the Pronger stuff… or just a slip by Strickland?

Nothing at this point. A big mixups by Strickland the Score...

Lofty wrote:

Gregor, Quick random question, I havnt been in the dressin room since the Oil re-did it a couple years ago but I was wondering if the Messier door to the AV room is still there?

Lofty they door is still there but it wasn't MESSIER. The door used to be the door to the coaches room, and Paul Coffey started the tradition where he would bang on the door twice with his stick to let the coaches know they players were ready.

Esa Tikkanen took over the tradition when Coffey left, and according Sparky he was a bit more aggressive than Coffey and that's how the dents came about.

The door is now off the main room between the medical room and the showers.

Craig "Norris" Muni wrote:

I think that Brule makes this team over Schremp and Pouliot. I have a feeling that Quinn is the key to unlocking the skills that Brule possess. I certainly think that their connection with the Giants helps Brule’s cause as well as the aforementioned attributed for the 3rd/4th line. We’ll see, but I just have a feeling that his shot is maybe a little better than “mid range.”

I'd take him over Pouliot for his grit alone...He and Schremp aren't competing for same spot so I don't see him needing to beat him out. Like I said I think Brule has a better shot than Schremp, but the biggest hurdle for him his is two-way deal.

Avatar
#19 Jason Gregor
June 17 2009, 06:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

shan wrote:

I could be wrong, but wasn’t Brule 18 years old in 05/06? I think the rule states that as soon as a player who signs a contract at 18 (or 19) plays >11 games in a season the waiver exemption drops to three years. He played 78 games in 06/07. 07/08 and 08/09 would be years two and three. I agree with Speeds that he ought to be waiver eligible. I apologize if I’m wrong…

He didn't play 11 games his first year...He played seven..Can't you guys read. What is hard so hard to understand about that???

Avatar
#20 Mike
June 17 2009, 06:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ shan:

You agree with a guy that can't read and we will go with Gregor who can and also spoke to Olczyk about it. I would assume that he knows which players are waiver eligible.

@ cm:

Not pointless...Just stating he needs to get his facts straight. It was misleading and I find it a bit strange at times how the BLOGGERS pump each others tires, even when they are wrong. If it had been an known media type that screwed up they'd be all over him...So tit for tat in my mind...

Avatar
#21 shan
June 17 2009, 06:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Jason Gregor wrote:

shan wrote: I could be wrong, but wasn’t Brule 18 years old in 05/06? I think the rule states that as soon as a player who signs a contract at 18 (or 19) plays >11 games in a season the waiver exemption drops to three years. He played 78 games in 06/07. 07/08 and 08/09 would be years two and three. I agree with Speeds that he ought to be waiver eligible. I apologize if I’m wrong… He didn’t play 11 games his first year…He played seven..Can’t you guys read. What is hard so hard to understand about that???

There is nothing difficult to understand, I completely agree that he played 7 games as an 18 year old. That's not the issue I'm bringing up.

I'm saying he played 78 games the next year (06/07) as a 19 year old, which I think also would limit Brule to only 3 seasons before he has pass waivers.

Look, I'll even quote the relevant bit of the CBA:

"For purposes of Regular Season Waivers and the Waiver Draft, the five year exemption for an 18 year old skater and the four year exemption for a 19 year old skater shall both be reduced to three years commencing the first season that the 18 or 19 year old skater plays in 11 NHL Games or more. The next two seasons, regardless of whether the skater plays any games in either season, shall count as the second and third years toward satisfying the exemption."

I don't know how he is not waiver eligible.

Avatar
#22 Hemmertime
June 17 2009, 07:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I had to share this. Brian Burke ranting over how he wouldn't want Heatley because he asked for a trade and leaked it and he would never want that type of player.

hxxp://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=1706281

and heres confirmation he was the GM that took Pronger

hxxp://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2508253

...

Avatar
#23 Hemmertime
June 17 2009, 07:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Dammit, comment moderated. meh, Willis beat me to calling out Burke for being hypocrit on Coppernblue. I laughed my arse off reading the national post column, the Tor reporter didn't even go "uhhh, are you serious?" or ask any tough "you're a retard" questions.

Avatar
#24 oilerdago
June 17 2009, 07:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Gregor - good point on Biron. I can not understand the attraction this guy has on the blogosphere given his inability in both Buffalo and Philadelphia to really hold down the #1 job. When it counts, he's come up short everywhere he's played and I hope that someone in Oilers management grasps that.

Why not do 2 years of Roli at $3 mil in year one and $.5 million in year two (2 year - $1.75 mil)?

Avatar
#25 Tyler
June 17 2009, 08:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

This from the CBA, in which there are examples to explain waiver eligibility:

13.4(b) An 18 year old drafted in the '05 Entry Draft who does not sign an SPC until July 2006 at the age of 19, and plays eleven (11) NHL games in the 2006-07 NHL season will be exempt as follows:

Season Waivers 05-06 n/a 06-07 Exempt 07-08 Exempt 08-09 Exempt 09-10 Eligible

Also from 13.4(b):

For purposes of Regular Waivers and Re-Entry Waivers, the five (5) year exemption for an 18 year old skater and the four year exemption for a 19 year old skater shall both be reduced to three (3) years commencing the first season that the 18 or 19 year old skater plays in eleven (11) NHL games or more. The next two (2) seasons, regardless of whether the skater plays any NHL Games in either season, shall count as the second and third years towards the exemption.

It is, I think, obvious from reading this that Brule's first year was 2006-07. It's obvious that the game thing isn't the issue - a 19 year old has three years, including the first year in which he plays 11 games.

If, as seems to be the case, Jason's wrong about this, it would seem to be the second time that he's cited Olczyk as a source for some CBA thing and had it wrong - there was a bit of a mess with the cap a while back. Are you misunderstanding what Olczyk is telling you Jason or do the Oilers not really understand the CBA?

As I read the rules, I think that Reddox is eligible too. I would assume that Schremp is as well.

Avatar
#26 speeds
June 17 2009, 08:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Jason Gregor wrote:

YOU ARE WRONG…it doesn’t matter when Schremp signs, it matters how many years he PLAYS…As for Brule wrong again. He doesn’t have to clear waivers. I have no idea why you think playing 19 games as a 19 year-old changes that. I’ve spoke with Rick Olczyk many times and neither are waiver eligible next year. Same as Reddox. Just because you said it before that Brule is a free agent doesn’t make it right. Your info or interpretation is completely wrong. I know this 100% since I spoke with Rick this week.

Gregor, here is my understanding. In a way, I hope I'm wrong because I'd find it uninspiring (to put it mildly) if I know more about this than Rick Olczyk.

Brule has to clear waivers, due to the section from the CBA quoted by "shan". As a 19 year old in 2006/7, his exemption dropped to 3 years, inclusive of that year, as soon as he played in his 11th game. He ended up playing in 78 games that year. So his 2nd year was 07/8, and his 3rd year was 08/9. His 3 years are up, thus Brule has to clear waivers.

By your own admission in reply #10 Reddox has to clear waivers, not sure why you're arguing this one. He signed as a 20 year old, and thus only had 3 years of waiver in-eligibility as you agree. His signing was announced in a Journal article on June 2, 2006 (link in message below). Three years have passed (1 in the ECHL, 1 AHL, 1 NHL/AHL split), so Reddox now has to clear waivers even though he hasn't played 160 NHL games because his 3 years are up.

There is some doubt for Schremp, but only because the CBA isn't clearly written for guys similar to him, and no examples are given for guys in his situation. That said, I'm fairly sure my interpretation is right.

From the CBA:

"For the purposes of this Article, a "year" of exemption shall mean a playing season."

It doesn't say anything about playing pro hockey, it only says a playing season. I think this was put in place to not penalize a team for signing a guy at 18 or 19 and sending him back to junior. Instead of having a 3 year waiver across the board for 18-20, they made it 5 years for 18, 4 years for 19, and 3 years for 20 so that all players from a draft class would be waiver eligible at the same time unless they reached the 160 games before that time. For example, Reddox and Schremp are the same draft class (2004) but Schremp signed a year earlier. They were both drafted at the same time, why shouldn't they both become waiver eligible at the same time unless they play in 160 NHL games ( I believe this to have been the thinking)?

The Oilers signed Schremp Oct. 7th, 2005, as a 19 year old (link below as well) after he was cut from camp. He was assigned to London for his last OHL season. He played in the AHL for years 2, 3, and 4 post-signing. His 4 year exemption is now up, and as far as I can tell he needs to clear waivers.

Avatar
#27 speeds
June 17 2009, 08:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Reddox link:

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/story.html?id=7fd6071e-3260-4b2e-92eb-f469d6148f07

Schremp link:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=139004

Avatar
#28 Tod
June 17 2009, 08:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Lol...give us some trade rumors or something Gregor.

Avatar
#29 speeds
June 17 2009, 08:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Also, Jason, if I'm wrong, by all means feel free to correct me, I won't mind especially if you explain why I'm wrong. There's no reason to correct me in anything other than a civil tone if I'm being civil with you. Even when you're right it's childish and petty. If you're wrong it's just embarassing and laughable.

I can handle being told when I'm wrong, but I don't see the need to be confrontational and post "YOU ARE WRONG..." to try and belittle me.

Avatar
#30 Victoria
June 17 2009, 09:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Awkward.

Avatar
#31 speeds
June 17 2009, 09:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Knew I'd forget something. In the 2nd last paragraph of reply 25, I should have added a little section in one of the sentence, the corrected sentence is below (bold is added).

Instead of having a 3 year waiver exemption across the board for 18-20, they made it 5 years for 18, 4 years for 19, and 3 years for 20 so that all players from a draft class would be waiver eligible at the same time unless they reached the 160 games before that time or started their ELC at age 18 or 19 (like Brule).

Avatar
#32 BigE57
June 17 2009, 09:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Hemmertime wrote:

Dammit, comment moderated. meh, Willis beat me to calling out Burke for being hypocrit on Coppernblue. I laughed my arse off reading the national post column, the Tor reporter didn’t even go “uhhh, are you serious?” or ask any tough “you’re a retard” questions.

@ Hemmertime:

Apparently the Wizard of Oz's hypocrisy knows no boundaries.

Avatar
#33 Ronan
June 17 2009, 10:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Here is how I understand it.

I think it only matters how many games he played in the first season and not as a 19 year old. If he signed his contract when he was 18 then the fact that he played 70+ games when he was 19 means nothing because it was his in his second season.

Avatar
#34 danny
June 17 2009, 10:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Victoria wrote:

Awkward.

+1

Avatar
#35 gord
June 17 2009, 10:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

nice speeds.

Avatar
#36 gord
June 17 2009, 11:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Mike wrote:

@ speeds: Lowetide linked to your piece awhile ago and clearly you are wrong. You should get you stuff correct before you write and article, or better come on here and state you are correct. How can you not see seven games played and not 11…It is simple to find…go to hockeydb and you can find a players stats. Once again this is why I myself rarely going to other sites on the web anymore. The NATION is accurate at least on simple things like seven games instead of 11… Lowetide should check his stats before he links to guys whose facts are wrong.

oops. maybe now you'll try the "other sites on the web" eh?

lowetide: 1 mike: 0

Avatar
#37 TK10
June 17 2009, 11:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Gregor: I must say I support Speeds on his Post #29. It is not polite nor professional of you to SHOUT at him. I trust you will follow up with Olczyk and advise us. Perhaps he'll have to check with NHL HQ as presumably the Oilers will need to know for certain. If, and just if, you understood Olczyk correctly and he understood your question, and Olczyk was in error, this may be another telling example of the quality of the Oiler brain trust/management team. Or is it an example of the classic "mis-communication" (e.g. "I thought you said 'we' had the Glencross/Reasoner situation under control if we didn't sign Hossa/Jagr"). Just an example.

Avatar
#38 Dan
June 17 2009, 11:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

On page 287 of the CBA it also states that:

"2004-05 does not count as a year of service For Waiver purposes unless a player earned a year of service either: 1) playing under his NHL SPC as a loaned player or 2)playing under an AHL contract with the player's NHL club's AHL affiliate."

So I guess that would count out Reddox and Schremp because of the lockout. But still doesn't answer for Brule.

Avatar
#39 PunjabiOil
June 17 2009, 11:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

"Your info or interpretation is completely wrong. I know this 100% since I spoke with Rick this week."

____________________

To quote Training Day:

"If you ask me, but that's of course, only if you ask, I think you got played ese"

Carry on.

Avatar
#40 Antony Ta
June 18 2009, 12:33AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

oilerdago wrote:

Gregor - good point on Biron. I can not understand the attraction this guy has on the blogosphere given his inability in both Buffalo and Philadelphia to really hold down the #1 job. When it counts, he’s come up short everywhere he’s played and I hope that someone in Oilers management grasps that. Why not do 2 years of Roli at $3 mil in year one and $.5 million in year two (2 year - $1.75 mil)?

I think it's not based on Biron achieving anything more than the fact that nobody better is available.

Avatar
#41 dunciano
June 18 2009, 05:59AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

TK10 wrote:

“I thought you said ‘we’ had the Glencross/Reasoner situation under control if we didn’t sign Hossa/Jagr”).

no kidding hey, crap GM

Avatar
#42 slimfred
June 18 2009, 06:25AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Nothing to say for your rude(and wrong) outbursts Gregor? Mike?

Avatar
#43 sillybilly
June 18 2009, 06:59AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Am i the only one who finds this funny?

A whole bunch of guys, who by day, probably do nothing more then jump to the pump for you, are trying to sort through the CBA and prove the "expert", who works for an NHL team, wrong....

ahhh, the sweet dark days of summer in an NHL city...

Avatar
#44 Ogden Brother
June 18 2009, 07:22AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Jason Gregor wrote:

Ogden Brother wrote: Hey Gregor, was their ever anything to the Pronger stuff… or just a slip by Strickland? Nothing at this point. A big mixups by Strickland the Score…

Thanks man

Avatar
#45 Archaeologuy
June 18 2009, 08:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Matheson is reporting that the Oilers are leary of trading Cogliano in ANY Heatley pre-draft trade scenario and that they should be using Gilbert and O'Sullivan. Hmmmm, that sounds awfully familiar to what someone I know was saying all along...

Avatar
#46 pedant
June 18 2009, 08:31AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Few things in this world are as frustrating as people who get outperformed in their own fields by amateurs with day jobs.

Avatar
#47 Jonathan Willis
June 18 2009, 08:40AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

sillybilly wrote:

Am i the only one who finds this funny? A whole bunch of guys, who by day, probably do nothing more then jump to the pump for you, are trying to sort through the CBA and prove the “expert”, who works for an NHL team, wrong…. ahhh, the sweet dark days of summer in an NHL city…

I find that comment pretty funny. I mean, hey, if you can't find fault with their argument you can always pretend you know what they do for a living and attack that.

Besides, it isn't like previous Oilers management has been great with the CBA:

'Well, we didn't sign Smyth because we didn't know the cap was going to go up' (despite the fact that it was predicted to by virtually everybody)

'Well, gee, we've got a lot of defensemen'

Avatar
#48 scorecoff hemmercules
June 18 2009, 08:43AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I'm so confused right now, who is right?

Avatar
#49 BigE57
June 18 2009, 08:45AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ sillybilly: Took the words right off my keyboard man. Funny stuff though.........

Avatar
#50 oilerdago
June 18 2009, 08:47AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Archeaologuy:

Am relieved to hear they don't want to give up Cogs. A kid who's just 21 who has 18 goals in each of his first two seasons (last year done while playing on the 3rd line) is someone who should be ready to take off.

Not that O'Sullivan is bad either, but I don't like giving up on someone who could (if he makes the adjustment to wing) score 30+ goals one day.

Comments are closed for this article.