Chris McCarthy, Tomas Kaberle, and One More Reason To Hate Barry Fraser

Jonathan Willis
June 25 2009 02:41PM

kabs

With reports from TSN that Toronto is entertaining a serious offer for defenseman Tomas Kaberle and the draft upon us tomorrow, it seems appropriate to pass on this horrifying story of Oilers draft-day decision making.

Lowetide’s the guy who pointed this link out in the comments section here, and Guy Flaming is the guy who did the original article. Here’s the quote, in all of its terrifying glory:

Even trying to promote a player who impressed them could have been problematic for a scout if that player was not already a favorite of Fraser’s too. Every scout out there has a tale of the one that got away and, ironically, it’s usually about a type of player who seems to be exactly what the team is missing from its current lineup. “Tomas Kaberle,” said [Oilers’ scout Chris] McCarthy right away when asked about his own personal fish story. “I went over to Russia for a tournament that was almost in Siberia. It was just Kent (Nilsson) and I because Barry (Fraser) didn’t go that year. I saw Kaberle there and I said to Kent ‘this guy’s a player!’ He had a skinny neck and he was a stick of a player back then but he had great wheels. We were talking and I really got Kent on the bandwagon once he started watching him too. The only other scout there was Anders Hedberg from the Leafs. I had Kaberle ranked 25th or 26th on my overall list that year and I couldn’t even get him listed on our entire list! Then Toronto takes him in the ninth round and the kid is still playing! I was killing myself! I never said anything much about it later but I did say to Kent ‘We screwed up’ and we really did. Here’s a guy we could have stolen and Anders got lucky because we couldn’t keep our mouths shut.”

Anyways, Kaberle’s likely to be traded this summer, either at the draft or a little later on, but regardless, this was a guy the Oilers should have taken a chance on. But I suppose Barry Fraser was busy in Mexico anyway.

This isn’t exactly recent news, but it’s the first time I’ve seen it.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#1 Hemmertime
June 25 2009, 02:42PM

Second!

#2 Librarian Mike
June 25 2009, 02:47PM

I wonder how Fraser is thought of by his peers. Is he viewed as a visionary for his early draft successes, or as a hack with friends in high places who got hit by the lucky stick? Obviously my vote goes to the latter, but I still wonder.

#3 Jonathan Willis
June 25 2009, 02:52PM

And if you missed it, here's another fine reason to hate Barry Fraser: my grandma drafts better than him.

#4 Antony Ta
June 25 2009, 02:53PM

Reminds me of the Hudler draft.

#5 Wanye Gretz
June 25 2009, 02:53PM

That story makes me die a little. You know - on the inside.

Late round picks are such a crap shoot. To see a Kaberle come out of there is hilarious. To know TO ganked him is even more hilarious.

And by hilarious I mean saddening.

If that's a word

#6 Antony Ta
June 25 2009, 02:56PM

I have a feeling the Oilers will be able to find another Omark type of player this draft. The problem is, can we get these players to cross the pond and play here? In the AHL?

#7 Ogden Brother
June 25 2009, 03:05PM

Hey Willis, I don't suppose you know of a site that list all draft picks traded and what they returned? (spefically top 15...)

#8 Cory Dakin
June 25 2009, 03:37PM

I just talked to jason bonsignore, steve kelly and jesse niinimaki and they tell me that the Oilers drafting record is stellar.

#9 BigE57
June 25 2009, 03:46PM

Cory Dakin wrote:

I'm sure the coversation went something like.... It was an honor to be drafted by a team with as much history and winning tradition as the Oilers but I've got another pizza to deliver here, so can you please pay me now Mr. Dakin.

#10 Cory Dakin
June 25 2009, 03:49PM

@ BigE57: Can you believe that all three of them roll together to deliver pizza? I was shocked.

#11 Jonathan Willis
June 25 2009, 04:25PM

@ Cory Dakin:

Did Jason Bonsignore bring it in his go-cart? I know that he's really into go-carting.

#12 BigE57
June 25 2009, 04:32PM

@ Cory Dakin:

Was it Little Ceasers? Are they still trying to say they are "in" the Red Wings organization?

#13 Librarian Mike
June 25 2009, 04:34PM

Cory Dakin wrote:

I think they also moonlight at Nick Stajduhar's hot dog stand on Whyte Ave.

#14 Jonathan Willis
June 25 2009, 04:37PM

@ Librarian Mike:

Is that near where Michel Riesen has his little chocolate-import place?

#15 Hemmertime
June 25 2009, 04:42PM

Michael Jackson is dead. The more you know.

#16 BigE57
June 25 2009, 04:46PM

@ Hemmertime: Even the Oilers weren't dumb enough to draft him.......

#17 RossCreek
June 25 2009, 04:52PM

Michael Jackson dead? Oh my

#18 rOILty
June 25 2009, 05:03PM

Michael Jackson dies at age 50...

His nose was only 13.

#19 Librarian Mike
June 25 2009, 05:56PM

I'm totally going to Hell for this, but...

@ rOILty

He did seem kind of pale lately...

#20 RossCreek
June 25 2009, 06:45PM

@ rOILty. LOL. @ LM. LOL... and it was worth it.

#21 Charlie
June 25 2009, 07:35PM

Oh great and honorable WIllis, I have a question:

In the midst of a debate on : at what point in a night of drinking BL Limes would you crack down and drink Big Rock Lime, I heartily crushed a can of vitamin P and had a thought:

Can an NHL team BUY a draft pick? Hear me out:

You have one team in Florida that may or may not be financially F...ragile, and you've got an NHL owner in a batcave camouflaged under Jasper Ave.

Could said owner get a certain GM, lets call him "Steve Tambellini", to offer a package of roster players, a pick, prospects, and a BRIEFCASE FULL OF CASH in a trade deal?

#22 JF
June 25 2009, 08:15PM

@ Charlie: i believe your not allowed to trade money.

BTW, i see Shaq got traded to cleveland, for players, picks, and $500,000. So you can trade money in the NBA?

someone clear this up haha

#23 JF
June 25 2009, 08:16PM

@ JF: my first sentence was refering only to the NHL

#24 Chris
June 25 2009, 08:45PM

@ JF: You can't offer cash as part of a trade, or even offer to pick up part of a traded players salary as per CBA article 50.8.

#25 JF
June 25 2009, 08:48PM

@ Chris: alright thanks, thats what i thought

#26 Charlie
June 25 2009, 10:22PM

Too bad. That would've been sweet. By the way, in case anyone hasn't seen it yet

Posted it at oilfans, turns out Tavares and Gagner have been friends since they were kids, lived 5 minutes apart, and used to go watch O'Sullivan play together.

Johnny T also says that they've talked and Gags was trying to get Tambo to pull off deal to get him.

#27 toprightcorner
June 25 2009, 10:50PM

rOILty wrote:

Michael Jackson dies at age 50… His nose was only 13.

You owe me a new keyboard and monitor, I just nose cannoned beer all over mine!!!

#28 Lofty
June 26 2009, 06:01AM

Good news for the Oil. If Kaberle is off the market the Oil own about 85% of PMD in the league right now.

#29 Jonathan Willis
June 28 2009, 09:58PM

@ Charlie:

You can't buy a draft pick. Brian Burke tried it last year (taking a bunch of expiring contracts and a 4th rounder in exchange for one fringe prospect) and ended up having that 4th round pick stripped from him for reasons that were supposedly *entirely unrelated*.

The NHL doesn't let it happen.