Oilers regular-season schedule announced

Jason Gregor
July 15 2009 01:34PM

schedule

The Oilers will play five games against Atlantic Division teams, eight games against Northeast Division teams, and five versus Southeast Division opponents.

The Montreal Canadiens come to Edmonton October 10th, the Toronto Maple Leafs come to town on December 30th, and the Ottawa Senators, are here on March 9th.

The good news for Oiler fans is you will see Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin and even the high octane Philadelphia Flyers this year. The Caps are here on December 19th, the Penguins January 14th and the Flyers come to town February 3rd.

They open the season at home v. the Flames on Saturday Oct 3rd, and nine of their first 14 games are at home.

The Oilers have a six game trek, two five-game road trips, and one four game trek. And their longest home stand is five games from Nov 18th to Nov 27th.

Here is the link to the entire schedule.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 oilguyry
July 15 2009, 01:41PM

Wooooo its coming

#2 offside
July 15 2009, 01:46PM

Wow, only 4 Saturday evening home games, and nothing after December, doesn't this seem kind of odd?

#3 OvenChicken8
July 15 2009, 01:47PM

That's awesome, a little more diversity in the schedule.

#4 Craig "Norris" Muni
July 15 2009, 01:49PM

hey jason, they have a nasty 6 game trip from Nov. 28 to Dec. 11. Bunch of weird stops.

#5 freeze
July 15 2009, 01:49PM

Thank crap we don't have all those back to back road games this year! That was the worst schedule ever. No wonder we missed the playoffs......

;)

#6 humantorch
July 15 2009, 01:55PM

Tencer just said on Twitter that the Oil have the fewest back-to-back games in the league this year. Woot!

#7 patty
July 15 2009, 01:58PM

The 5 game trip in November could be nasty, with 2 b-b sets. Atleast the Atl game is in the afternoon.

The New Years Eve game against the Flames seems to be a tradition now. Awesome.

@ offside: Look on the bright side: We won't have to listen to Crow. Still sucks though, those are usually fun games if you can get tickets.

#8 humantorch
July 15 2009, 02:00PM

Craig "Norris" Muni wrote:

Even that 6-game stretch isn't awful, because the first game is in Vancouver on a Saturday night, and the second game isn't until the following Thursday in Detroit, so I would imagine the team would come back to Edmonton for 3 or 4 days in between. Realistically, it's a 5 game trip including a likely golf game in Florida on the off-day between games against the Panthers and Lightning.

I wish I had it that rough at MY job.

#9 humantorch
July 15 2009, 02:02PM

Also, that stretch has no back to backs, so again, it could be a lot worse.

#10 vern
July 15 2009, 02:05PM

the schedual i way better than last year

#11 Craig "Norris" Muni
July 15 2009, 02:06PM

@ humantorch:

You're right man. I got fixated on the destinations rather than the dates and thought it was a little random.

It could always be worse, like Vancouver's.

#12 DaveS
July 15 2009, 02:06PM

Am I reading correctly that we don't have any games scheduled against the Flames after Jan. 30? That seems odd...otherwise it's a pretty good schedule.

#13 Archaeologuy
July 15 2009, 02:08PM

Is this the year the excuses disappear?

#14 Jason Gregor
July 15 2009, 02:11PM

Craig "Norris" Muni wrote:

Yes technically a six game trek, but they might come home between stops...since the first one is in Van and then four days off until game 2.

And they have 11 back-to-back game sets. Last year Colorado had the fewest with seven and it didn't do them any good.

Back-to-back games can be a problem, but it's more about the travel if they play on the West coast and then come home. Those trips hurt.

This year...out of the eleven times...once they go from Dallas to Phoenix... They play the Flyers at home and then in Minny the next night. Another time they are at home then in Van the next night. Another time they are in Calgary and then Van the next night.

They don't have that tough of a schedule travel wise. It will be interesting how many times they play teams on the second night. That is more of the advantage if you are rested.

#15 scorecoff hemmercules
July 15 2009, 02:16PM

@ Archaeologuy:

Damn, beat me to it! Cant blame the schedule this year thats for sure.

#16 Jonathan Willis
July 15 2009, 02:23PM

Archaeologuy wrote:

Is this the year the excuses disappear?

I think the excuses disappeared in the second half of last year when the schedule evened out.

#17 Archaeologuy
July 15 2009, 02:27PM

@ Jonathan Willis: I know Jon. There just always seem to be something that was out of the Oiler's control that gets blamed for their failures. I just hope everyone starts the year healthy, with a new coach, better schedule, and as few scapegoats as possible for anything that goes wrong. No more excuses.

#18 Archaeologuy
July 15 2009, 02:38PM

Either way. It's only 80 days until the next meaningful Hockey game in Oilerville.

80!

#19 Librarian Mike
July 15 2009, 02:38PM

Archaeologuy wrote:

I just hope everyone starts the year healthy

Okay, now I am certain I spend too much time on this site. I could have sworn that said 'Heatley'.

#20 Archaeologuy
July 15 2009, 02:40PM

Librarian Mike wrote:

Okay, now I am certain I spend too much time on this site. I could have sworn that said ‘Heatley’.

That's funny because when i first wrote it I had to correct my spelling because I actually typed "Healthey"

#21 Librarian Mike
July 15 2009, 02:43PM

Archaeologuy wrote:

That’s funny because when i first wrote it I had to correct my spelling because I actually typed “Healthey”

That is funy...I mean funny.

#22 swany
July 15 2009, 02:46PM

Can't wait for the season to start, just hope it has a better ending........like in May at least. Gregor what's all these stories about Heatley beeing in town, I call bull but just fishing to see if you have any info. Maybe he is here to wave the green flag at the Rexall Indy.

#23 Jason Gregor
July 15 2009, 02:55PM

In case you are curious...

Home games for Oilers this year...

Mon...six Tues... eight Wed...six Thurs...eight Fri... six Sat...four Sun...three

Last year...

Monday three games..went 2-0-1 GF 7-5 GA Tuesday..ten games...went 3-7..GF 24-41 GA Tuesdays were awful for the Oilers last year and included the 9-2 and 10-2 blow out loses.

Wednesday... four games...went 2-2..GF 15-10 GA Thursday... six games...went 0-5-1...GF 9-18 GA

Thursdays also sucked for Oiler fans going winless in six and getting shut out twice.

Friday... four games...went 2-1-1...GF 11-9 GA Saturday.. eight games..went 5-0-3..GF 24-17 GA Sunday... six games...went 4-2... GF 19-13 GA

Considering the Oilers have eight home games this year on Tuesday and on Thursday, it's clear they need to ensure that they get good sleeps on Mon and Wed.

#24 vern
July 15 2009, 02:59PM

@ Jason Gregor: Thanks for the info

#25 Jason Gregor
July 15 2009, 02:59PM

swany wrote:

Doubtful he'll be waving the flag...and what stories..I haven't heard that, and I was told he is still chilling in Kelowna. Nothing new on that front, unfortunately for Oiler fans.

#26 swany
July 15 2009, 03:12PM

Jason Gregor wrote:

swany wrote: Gregor what’s all these stories about Heatley beeing in town, I call bull but just fishing to see if you have any info. Maybe he is here to wave the green flag at the Rexall Indy. Doubtful he’ll be waving the flag…and what stories..I haven’t heard that, and I was told he is still chilling in Kelowna. Nothing new on that front, unfortunately for Oiler fans.

Thanks Gregor there are some stories on HF that he is in town but I didn't thnik so just checking with someone who would know.

#27 humantorch
July 15 2009, 03:43PM

Jason Gregor wrote:

#28 socaldave
July 15 2009, 03:44PM

I find it interesting that they end the year down in my part of the world, against non-division opponents. Now I can only hope that they've got a playoff spot sewed up by then - I can barely handle a playoff race from 1800 miles away. I'll be a friggin' basketcase if they roll into town in 10th place but only 1 point out.

#29 hatecrime
July 15 2009, 03:46PM

you guys just had to throw heatley out there agian.just one day that's all most of us ask

#30 Jonathan Willis
July 15 2009, 03:48PM

STOP THE PRESSES

Reddox rejects qualifying offer, likely to play in Euorpe.

#31 hatecrime
July 15 2009, 03:54PM

that sucks he was a pretty good player

#32 David S
July 15 2009, 03:57PM

Jonathan Willis wrote:

STOP THE PRESSES Reddox rejects qualifying offer, likely to play in Euorpe.

We're doomed I say. Doooomed!

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmZRDUO1wGQ

#33 Librarian Mike
July 15 2009, 03:58PM

~Too bad. You can't kick ass without your 'dox.~

#34 roughneck
July 15 2009, 03:59PM

How ironical that the oil sched has a picture of a nice looking young italian boy from toronto who was dangled for a douche bag and a lithe young czech whose back seems too weak to carry a bunch of sleds even though he has volunteered for the task.

~But Ive been very wrong before~

#35 The Menace
July 15 2009, 03:59PM

I really miss Reddox already. now we have another hole to fill on our top line.

#36 Jason Gregor
July 15 2009, 04:02PM

Reddox is a depth player at best...with Pisani back does anyone see him in the top 12?

How does he help your team? He only helps in a depth role, and he is a player that can be easily replaced.

He is not a loss, and I'm not surprised that he would go to Europe either. IF he can get the same money, close to $700,000 (which is the max he could realistically expect) then good for him, but I don't see his departure as a loss what so ever.

#37 Hemmertime
July 15 2009, 04:03PM

@ The Menace: lol nice.

I didnt see him getting playing time next season anyway. Meh, good on you Reddox, take the most money you can make where ever it may be - might only have a few years.

#38 Duke
July 15 2009, 04:03PM

Jonathan Willis wrote:

STOP THE PRESSES Reddox rejects qualifying offer, likely to play in Euorpe.

Troy Hesketh....your time is now.

#39 Jason Gregor
July 15 2009, 04:04PM

humantorch wrote:

Jason Gregor wrote: They don’t have that tough of a schedule travel wise. It will be interesting how many times they play teams on the second night. That is more of the advantage if you are rested. I would imagine that they will be playing a team on most, if not all, of the second nights.

YEs missed a word...I meant playing a team that is playing ITS second game in consecutive nights...

#40 ScubaSteve
July 15 2009, 04:06PM

@ Jason Gregor:

Totally agree, who does he think he is? He played a handful of games on the top line when he didn't deserve to, and was ineffective most (if not all) of the time he was on the ice. He is a career minor leaguer, and I would be very surprised if he signed for even 1/2 of the $700,000 max you mentioned. Guys like him are a dime a dozen.

I'm sure he knows that without MacT, he has not chance to be with the big club.

#41 Curious
July 15 2009, 04:06PM

free up another contract which is a-ok

#42 416oil
July 15 2009, 04:07PM

i guess with reddox gone and heatly still not here i guess this finally opens up a spot for schremp on the top line? xD

#43 ryanbatty
July 15 2009, 04:10PM

offside wrote:

Wow, only 4 Saturday evening home games, and nothing after December, doesn’t this seem kind of odd?

Calgary gets seven Saturday games, five on HNIC. Vancouver gets eleven, ten on HNIC. It seems odd that Vancouver gets so many more than the other two that share that slot.

#44 Duke
July 15 2009, 04:13PM

416oil wrote:

Stop It.

#45 Curious
July 15 2009, 04:14PM

@ ryanbatty:

Canucks won the division and dont have to start playing Saturday at 8pm local time like they do here or in Calgary. It makes sense to me.

#46 ScubaSteve
July 15 2009, 04:14PM

ryanbatty wrote:

Not really, check to see how many Toronto has on HNIC, it's purely for ratings, and while I would rather watch "the sharing circle" than the leafs, I understand the business side of it.

#47 Dizzle
July 15 2009, 04:16PM

Hey Gregor,

with the Oilers publicly apoligizing for their job in Spingfield and their commitment to icing a legit team...how does this not hurt them. Yes he is a role player in the NHL but he is a solid AHL player and since they just went out and spent big AHL money on Minard and Arsene, does this mess up the Oilers AHL plans?

#48 Mills
July 15 2009, 04:23PM

Jonathan Willis wrote:

STOP THE PRESSES Reddox rejects qualifying offer, likely to play in Euorpe.

What's the opposite of news?

#49 Jonathan Willis
July 15 2009, 04:24PM

This has a marginal impact on the big club; Reddox was a replacement level player.

That said, the impact for Springfield is big, and this doesn't help the organization's depth.

#50 Ender the Dragon
July 15 2009, 04:28PM

Dizzle wrote:

with the Oilers publicly apoligizing for their job in Spingfield and their commitment to icing a legit team…how does this not hurt them? Yes he is a role player in the NHL but he is a solid AHL player and since they just went out and spent big AHL money on Minard and Arsene, does this mess up the Oilers AHL plans?

Before I decided for sure that we won’t miss Reddox, I’d love to know what the Oilers offer was. Whether he was miscast on the Oilers top-line or not, the fact remains he was a reliable utility player who brought his best effort every night. If the Oilers brass thought that was worth, for example, a 1-year contract at the league minimum (roughly the same as Reddox's salary last year of $0.515M), I’d suggest that a potential move to Europe isn't a mistake on Reddox’s part.

Will we do fine without Reddox? Almost certainly; he's not an integral part of the team and can be replaced. Is it still a stupid move to lose a depth player by offering less than what he's worth, replacing him with a similar depth player from outside the organization at more money? That's dumb to me. I reserve judgement on the whole thing until I know whether this is a case of Reddox being greedy or Oilers management just being stupid.