Dany Heatley: next steps and options

Jason Gregor
July 02 2009 12:37PM

heatley-questions

The Oilers haven’t backed off from acquiring Dany Heatley, but it sounds like they will have to sweeten the pot if they are going to get him out of Ottawa. The price has just went up according to Sens GM Bryan Murray.

Whether that means the Oilers have to add in some prospects, or take another salary off the books of the Senators is unclear. The unique thing about this deal is that even though the Sens have paid Heatley $4 million, if they trade him before the season starts that money won’t count against their cap.

The team that gets Heatley will only have to pay him $4 million in salary this year, but he is a $7.5 million cap hit on their books.

"Edmonton is the only option that has been presented to us, and you can't tell that there aren't more," J.P. Barry told Sportsnet.ca.

Well I’m not sure how many other options they truly have. The Rangers aren’t interested now that they have Gaborik, and supposedly Glen Sather had targeted Gaborik over Heatley anyways.

The Canucks can’t take him now that the Sedins’ have re-signed for a combined cap hit of $12.2 million per year, and the Wild landed Havlat.

So who are the other options?

I’m betting you think it’s the Kings. They have lots of cap space, are stacked with young players Ottawa would like and are a sexy location for Heatley.

But watch this.

Does that sound like the Kings are interested?

I don’t think so. Sorry Dany you won’t be living the life in LA.

I’ve been told that Heatley has seen this, and it is clear that the Kings are an unlikely destination.

So who else is there?

The San Jose Sharks possibly. But they have 15 players signed for $51 million already. Patrick Marleau has one year left on his deal, the Sens aren’t in love with Cheechoo, and so will the Sharks give up Clowe, Setoguchi and a D-man for Heatley? That would be pretty steep.

The Coyotes and Predators won’t be in the mix, so that doesn’t leave him many options.

Heatley needs to decide today, and so do the Oilers. I think it is time the Oilers ask for a decision from his camp. Is he in, or out?

And then the Oilers need to live with the decision, move on and look at other options to try and improve their team.

They offered a great deal to Ottawa, and the Sens wanted it — for a moment even Heatley seemed like he was willing to come, but he got cold feet and now he is dragging them on the beach in Kelowna.

Enough is enough. Make a decision a move on.

The decision needs to come today, and I think the Oilers need to make it, because it is evident that Heatley can’t make it himself.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 bingofuel
July 02 2009, 12:38PM

I'm down to ganking images from the Senators' wallpaper archive. Could someone please just tell Tambo to ditch this deal and move one?

KTHXBAI

#2 Peter Pan
July 02 2009, 12:40PM

Tambo - Let it go! This guy will become a cancer if you bring him here!

#3 erixon
July 02 2009, 12:43PM

Gregor,

Could this deal be also effected by the supposed "grievance" Ottawa may file? Not exactly sure how this comes into play, or what it entitles. Can you elaborate on this a bit?

#4 Dean
July 02 2009, 12:43PM

Wow...Hextall doesn't pull any punches in that video. I'd still take Heatley, but it doesn't seem like he knows what he wants.

#5 Wanye Gretz
July 02 2009, 12:44PM

WHOA

GREAT FIND with that video. Everyone should watch it

#6 Jason Gregor
July 02 2009, 12:46PM

erixon wrote:

Could this deal be also effected by the supposed “grievance” Ottawa may file? Not exactly sure how this comes into play, or what it entitles. Can you elaborate on this a bit?

I really don't know what grounds they could file a grievance under. His contract stated he gets $4 million on July 1st. They also gave him a no movement clause, which entitles him to veto a trade.

They might not like the outcome, but I don't see what they could complain about really. They offered the contract and were obviously aware of the details of it.

#7 Harlie
July 02 2009, 12:50PM

i think his price has gone down> I can't see how Murray can get any more for Dany after all of this sh!t has gone down. If i'm the Oil i offer Nilsson in place of Cogs and call it the final offer. Maybe ship out Staios and bring back Smith if we have to. Or we just walk away from this whole mess and let everyone else pick up the pieces.

#8 Librarian Mike
July 02 2009, 12:50PM

Man, Hextall is looking good. Suit him up!

#9 Jonathan Willis
July 02 2009, 12:51PM
#10 Doug
July 02 2009, 12:51PM

I want Tambo to make a video now. See Hextall's for tips.

#11 cambosmash
July 02 2009, 12:53PM

I heard Heatley turned down the offer to attend camp with Team Canada and is looking for a better offer from the Americans.

Is anyone negotiating for Kessel's rights? It would be nice to have a 21 year old 36 goal scorer to play with Gagner and Hemskey for the next 10-15 years. Sidenote: Heatley scored 26 goals the season he turned 21 and 41 the season he turned 22. I'm no mathematician but I'm pretty sure that means Kessel should score 92 goals next year.

#12 Librarian Mike
July 02 2009, 12:53PM

I also like how he goes into detail about how toxic Heatley is, and ends it by saying "would we try to get him? I don't know." Really? haha.

#13 Doug
July 02 2009, 12:54PM

cambosmash you are becoming my new favorite poster.

#14 Souby
July 02 2009, 12:55PM

This situation has gone beyond ridiculous. As much as I would love to see the Oil add a prolific scorer like Heatley to the team, I say it is time for the Oil to walk away.

If they have to pay a steep price for that high scoring winger they are coveting, then I say go talk to Atlanta about Kovolchuk or Columbus about Nash. The price tag would be the same or higher, but the drama would be far less.

If the Oil still want to get the deal done for Heatley then I say they offer less and not more. I feel for the Sens, I really do, but it is not the Oilers fault that the $4M bonus had to be paid. It is a stupid contract stipulation anyways. Murray has been saying the price tag goes up if they pay the bonus. That's fine as long as someone other than the Oilers pay it!

#15 Curious
July 02 2009, 12:55PM

The pressure needs to come from Ottawa. The longer this draws out the worse it is going to be for Murray. Why if you were Tambellini would you sweeten the deal now? Since the $4 million is just part of the salary and is up front, how does that make the situation any different from yesterday? Worse case, Ottawa files a grievance and you pay the salary later...salary you would have paid anyway.

Sometimes saying nothing at all is the best strategy. The only way the Oilers brass talks if they are announcing that they are done with this or they have another deal in place. Why would you say anything now?

#16 Harlie
July 02 2009, 12:55PM

Jonathan Willis wrote:

Dany Heatley sing-a-song, do da, do da.

That's about the best hockey mic'd up segment I've ever seen. Dany seems like he would be a blast to have on your bench. Great confidence and he plays loose and FINISHES. I want him even more.

#17 Chaz
July 02 2009, 01:00PM

Jason Gregor wrote:

I really don’t know what grounds they could file a grievance under.

I'm no Lawyer, but wouldn't listing Edmonton as an acceptable destination (which we've been told he had done) only to nix the trade after the fact be considered negotiating in Bad Faith? Also, if his camp knew the deadline of the bonus payment was a day later than the other parties involved thought, isn't there something called Full Disclosure which means you have to let the other parties know if they are mistaken about a clause in a contract?

Wow, I am not smart enough to be a lawyer (Or crooked enough, or swarmy enough-Kidding!)

Legal types; responses please.

#18 Jon Kerber
July 02 2009, 01:00PM

Again, I fail to see why we should even have the original offer on the table. We've seen the other players' hands, and they've got nothing. There are zero competitors for Heatley right now, so why are we still keeping the offer we had when we were outbidding the NYR?

Take Cogliano off the table.

#19 Harlie
July 02 2009, 01:02PM

TSN is saying that Tambellini is going to address the media sometime Thursday. Gregor or anyone else know about this and can confirm the time??

#20 Jack Newcastle
July 02 2009, 01:02PM

Walk away. Just walk away.

This crybaby is probably close to throwing away his NHL career one way or another. I don't want the final straw coming at our expense.

#21 Wanye Gretz
July 02 2009, 01:03PM

Chaz wrote:

Legal types; responses please.

I have been in trouble with the law. Can I weigh in?

The entire thing wouldn't have any legal implications whatsoever. This is all sports type BS it would never go before a judge.

#22 oil_fan_forever
July 02 2009, 01:05PM

Jon Kerber wrote:

Take Cogliano off the table.

Yeah, if we are still willing to give up cogliano at this point, that is just sad

#23 Tod
July 02 2009, 01:07PM

I'm disappointed to see the Oilers once again ignoring the bottom part of their roster. Zanon, Fiddler, and Sjostrom all signed for nothing and we could have used them. Instead we are chasing Chris Neil at $2 million, another Moreau/Pisani type contract. There are still guys like Betts and Axelsson out there so I hope we make a move on one of them. Is this on the Oilers radar at all?

#24 Curious
July 02 2009, 01:07PM

@ Jon Kerber:

I agree the offer doesnt have to get better. It is more then enough now.

I like Cogliano, I really do, but if you were to get Heatley, why would you want and need him? I will take my chances developing Gagner and in a year hope Eberle takes a step up. The fact is if you are going to upgrade, you have to give something good up to make room. Cogliano is expendable because we have player like him already. He is going to be a great player, but if he gets you something you dont have, you have to part with him.

#25 Sweet Jimmy K
July 02 2009, 01:08PM

When did the Oilers decide to become the running soap opera of the NHL?

First we have Pongergate, then we have the Burke-Lowe war, then MacT vs Dustin Penner and Robert Nilson, followed by the episode of "What is going to happen with our coach?", and now the Dany Heatley saga.

Could this be what is poisoning everyone on Edmonton? We have spent 3 years airing our dirty laundry to the rest of the NHL through the press.

Everyone seems to wonder what the difference between Edmonton and Calgary is, and why people will go there and not here. I think I have given you the answer. When was the last time you saw Calgary pull this kind of stuff? It is bush league to say the least.

#26 jeanshorts
July 02 2009, 01:10PM

hahahaha oh man. I loved Ron Hextall during his playing years. And now I love him EVEN MORE as a, uhh, well, whatever job title he has in L.A.

Is it just me or is Heatly's stock falling faster than Avery's after that whole sloppy seconds nonsense?

#27 Harlie
July 02 2009, 01:12PM

@ jeanshorts:

if we can get him for cheaper than the original trade offer would you want him?

I would.

#28 surshot
July 02 2009, 01:15PM

I say reduce our offer to Penner Smid Pouliot. And even thats to much for this puke.

#29 Chaz
July 02 2009, 01:16PM

As a Nation we should all pitch in and get a restraining order against Heatley due to the emotional distress he's caused us. Being legally bound to stay 500 feet from us would make it very hard for him to ever score against us playing with any team dumb, desperate, and ugly enough to trade for him. I guess that means though we'd have to twitter him our boos and heckles.

Wayne, I'll defer it back to you; In your experience what's the best way to attain said Restraining Order?

#30 Jason Gregor
July 02 2009, 01:17PM

Harlie wrote:

I just spoke with JJ Hebert the Oilers' media/PR guy and there is no Tambo presser scheduled as of right now. But he will talk soon. There will be a Khabibulin conference call later today it seems, but that won't answer the questions most want to know about.

#31 Sweet Jimmy K
July 02 2009, 01:18PM

From Eklund's twitter. I really want to find out the scoop now.

Eklund: Just wait until we can tell what Edmonton was told and what really went down with heatley. And why the rangers bailed out of respect....

#32 Scott
July 02 2009, 01:18PM

Well, what to say...What a range of emotions. When I first heard about the trade I was euphoric. Then I heard he turned it down and I was a bit pissed.

Woke up yesterday and heard there may be still something to it. Didnt get overly excited but the pissyness of the day before had subsided. However, when I found out late last night that he didnt waive it again, I was down right hot. I think this SOB needs to rot in Ottawa and let them deal with this mess and we need to move on. If we still got him, yes our team would be better on the ice but unless he has a major suck up compaign to the Oil faithful, he will be nothing more than a cancer.

My wish list for the rest of the offseason is:

Trade Souray to LA for JJ and Frolov (as long as we can extend him). This will save us some money, we can go get a free agent and we have a left winger for our first line.

Sign Malholtra. He is excellent in the faceoff circle and a great PK guy. Third line centre...done.

Last but not least...sign a steady defensive blueliner like Beauchemin to shore up our D. Offer Stevie for the best pick you can get and if no takers, buy him out. If cant trade and dont buy him out, bury Nilson or another salary in the minors.

#33 Death Metal Nightmare
July 02 2009, 01:19PM

sounds like Heatley is slowly ostracizing himself out of the league judging from the Hextall comments.

he should be damn impressed the Oilers even want him. judging that he obviously had no revelation of wisdom after "The Accident" (aka DEATH PROOF II), he has no perspective of reality. or maybe he really is as psycho as "Stuntman Mike".

on another note: why is Edmonton seemingly the paradoxical desert of the NHL? they generate the revenue of a top team yet all the Super Duper Canadian Mama's Boys treat it as a TRUE desert (ones without pumped in water from thousands of miles away for retards lawns and golf courses) when it comes to playing there. its a shame. the fans and corporate sponsors should start to question why their "beloved" Canadian boys they sustain as millionaires are more loyal to rugged individualism and golf than entertaining the people who pay the large chunk of keeping that league together.

#34 jeanshorts
July 02 2009, 01:21PM

@ Harlie: At this point I'm not sure. Yesterday I would have said definitely, especially since I REALLY don't want to see us lose Cogs. But the fact that this is still being dragged on even after we sent out our entire team of suits to have a face to face, and all these stories about his crappy character are coming out I'd rather the Oilers just cut their losses and move on.

A less valuable package would definitely soften the blow, but I'm going to continue to ride the "F*CK DANY HEATLY" bandwagon until he scores back to back hat tricks.

#35 Harlie
July 02 2009, 01:21PM

@ Jason Gregor:

thanks man. I'll be tuned in to 1260 to not miss anything. Have a good show today!

#36 Scott
July 02 2009, 01:23PM

@ Gregor

There was talk the other day that the oilers had another deal brewing. Is this still on or was that tied to the Heatley deal going through?

#37 Harlie
July 02 2009, 01:24PM

@ jeanshorts:

fair enough. I'm not in love with this guy by any means but i am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Actions speak louder than words and his play this year (regardless of where he plays) better do the talking or he is gonna look like the Mayor of Chumpville.

#38 Dino
July 02 2009, 01:24PM

Gregor, sounds like he's getting some bad advice from J.P. Barry, judging by his quote regarding options. J.P.'s been around a long time, he must know the current landscape with respect to which teams would be looking for a 50 goal scorer. Does J.P. expect OTT to take less in return just to send Dany to a destination that he wants?

Which current Oilers are represented by J.P.? I wonder if when they signed their contracts with the Oilers if Edmonton is/was a good enough option.

#39 jdrevenge
July 02 2009, 01:31PM

What i really dont get is how Murray is saying its going to cost more to get this player to move. Thats such BS. If anything Heatley is bringing his value down. Bigtime.

#40 DK0
July 02 2009, 01:39PM

@ jdrevenge: Yeah i want to move to this fairytale land Murray is in where less demand somehow equates to greater price.

#41 Doug
July 02 2009, 01:44PM

Maybe Murray is just saying that to send a message to the Heatley camp. After all, sources alledge Heatley may not have an issue with Edmonton as much as he wants to stick it to the Senators for imposing this "deadline" on the deal.

Maybe Murray is trying to stick it to him right back with this. We had all heard his asking price was considered too steep by many teams to begin with. This could be his way of telling Dany "since you decided to take our $4 million, we'll see you in camp"

#42 Bob Cob
July 02 2009, 01:46PM

Take the offer off the table, offer Penner, Nilson and Schremp and tell Ottawa to put in the pipe and smoke it, final offer. Heatley doesn't know what way he is going and it is my personal professional opiniion that the dude is a basketcase and he can stay in Ottawa with all the other airheads out east. The team needs to move on to plan c through z and stop trying to appeal to the 4 year old out in BC. I say trade some players open up some cap space and offer Rick Nash an offer sheet he cant refuse.

#43 Doug
July 02 2009, 01:51PM

If Souray to LA can net Frolov and JJ I would so do that deal.

#44 jdrevenge
July 02 2009, 01:54PM

@ Bob Cob:

This team needs to get over its emotional issues and stop dreaming. How many players have they passed over over the past couple of years because they were attempting to fail. It's getting ridiculous. Big money players love moving to winning teams. Especially young winning teams. We're a couple of high end picks from being a viable option in 2-3 years.

#45 Downright Fierce
July 02 2009, 01:56PM

DK0 wrote:

Us do opposite of all Earthly things! Us hate beauty! Us love ugliness! Is big crime to make anything perfect on Bizarro World!

#46 Morghasm
July 02 2009, 01:56PM

@ Doug: If that's the message that Murray is trying to send to Heatley, don't you think he just say straight up "since you decided to take our $4 million, we’ll see you in camp" and stop the trade negotiations?

Sounds more like Murray is trying to pretend that he's somehow still in control of what's going on with this deal. In reality, the only ones who can walk away from this right now looking like they actually are in control are the Oilers - but only if they either offer a smaller deal (I like the sounds of Penner, Nillson and Schremp) or just take the entire thing off the table.

#47 Petr Klima's Helmet
July 02 2009, 01:59PM

Can someone give the jist of what Hextall said, as Big Brother here at work won't let me watch the clip.

#48 RossCreek
July 02 2009, 02:02PM

Doug wrote:

If Souray to LA can net Frolov and JJ I would so do that deal.

It can't.

#49 RossCreek
July 02 2009, 02:02PM

Offer a similar package for Spezza instead. Him n Hemsky would be dyn-o-mite together.

#50 Harlie
July 02 2009, 02:04PM

Petr Klima's Helmet wrote:

Can someone give the jist of what Hextall said, as Big Brother here at work won’t let me watch the clip.

he pointb blank said that a tragic death occured while Heatley was in Atlanta and he understood Dany wanting a trade out of there and he said he heard that Dany did not like his coach there. Then he said that Dany got to Ottawa and didn't like Hartsburg and then Clouston so that means 3 Coaches that Dany didn't like. He also said that Dany was the exact type of player that the Kings were looking for but his issues outweigh his attractiveness. yada yada yada