What's the big Biron deal?

Jason Gregor
July 24 2009 12:09PM

Between sending videos, speculating about three-ways (which would be better if they included girls), signing some depth guys and debating who is a better goalie this week has been surprisingly busy for the Oilers and their fans.

When the Islanders signed net-minder Martin Biron to a one-year, $1.4 million contract many claimed it was another missed opportunity by the Oilers. Why?4

Biron was available on July 1st, and while many fans felt he was the best UFA goalie available, clearly no GMs did.

Let’s look back at what transpired on July 1st:

  • Dwayne Roloson signs a two-year deal with the Islanders for $5 million. ($2.5 per)
  • Scott Clemmensen signs a three-year deal for $3.6 million with Florida. ($1.2 per)
  • Craig Anderson signs a two-year, $3.625 million deal with Colorado. ($1.81 per)

July 2nd, the Oilers sign Khabibulin for four years at $3.75 million a season. CBJ signs Mathieu Garon for $1.2 mill a year for two years.

On July 1st Biron and his agent felt he was worth at least $3 million a season, but no GM felt the same. Even the Islanders didn’t because they went with Roloson first instead of Biron.

I think it’s obvious that Khabibulin is a better goalie than Roloson, so it is perplexing to me why some feel that Biron, who was overlooked by many, is now a better goalie than Khabibulin.

The only reason anyone wants Biron is because of his contract, and he only signed that because he and his agent had overvalued his worth on the market, and the Islanders were his only remaining option. Biron wouldn’t have signed on July 1st for that type of money, and the Oilers didn’t have him in their top three UFA goalies.

And the argument that Khabibulin might get injured is void since Biron has had injury problems as well; starting only 31 games after the lockout and then 34 in 2006/2007.

Sure the 4th year of Khabibulin’s contract is a risk, but by then if one of JDD or DD isn’t ready to play then they have a problem, but they have a few years to figure that out. Khabibulin has a good reputation of being able to work with young goalies, and he admitted on my radio show that 55-60 games is the ideal number he’d like to play. That gives JDD round 25 to maybe 30 games to prove he can play. If he falters then DD gets a shot, so to me this is the best situation, not to mention that Khabibulin is a better goalie than Biron, regardless of the contract.

HEATLEY/MARLEAU

Videos aside it seems like a long shot to have #15 come to Edmonton, but don’t expect the alleged three-way deal involving Marleau to include Cogliano. The Oilers won’t give up Smid, Cogliano and Penner to Ottawa if they are getting Marleau in return. He only has one-year left on his deal, and giving up Cogliano for a guy that could leave for nothing after one year isn’t going to happen.

If the Oilers do nothing to address the void on the first line LW, look for Cogliano to get a shot. If he moves to the wing it will be on the left side. If he shows during the preseason that he has improved his faceoffs he might stay in the middle, but if he hasn’t they will move him to the LW, and along with O’Sullivan, Penner and Nilsson they will audition for the first line spot.

If Penner doesn’t come to camp with a renewed vigor he’ll find himself on the 3rd line very quickly. And I’m not certain it is a lock that Pisani and Moreau will be bookends on the 3rd line. One of them might find themselves on the 4th line, but still a key PK guy.

MORE DEPTH

The Oilers re-signed another depth player in Colin McDonald. Expect an announcement next week.

McDonald is another underachieving pick from 2003. The 2nd rounder was taken 51st overall and after four average seasons at Providence College he has played the past two seasons in Springfield, excluding a short three game stint in the ECHL last year.

McDonald had 12 goals and 23 points in 2008, and last year had 10 goals and 22 points in Springfield. If you’re looking for improvement it would be in the form of his +/_. Last year he was only -8 after a dreadful -23 in his rookie campaign in the AHL.

The only role I can see McDonald fitting into as an Oiler would be to replace Pisani down the road. He isn’t a flashy player, is a bit more physical than Pisani, but doesn’t have as good of a shot.

McDonald signed a one-year deal, and if he doesn’t show significant improvement this year, I don't see why the Oilers would re-sign him next season.

The Oilers aren’t done re-tooling Springfield. Ryan Potulny is on the verge of a deal, and while he’ll get a look in camp, they expect him in Springfield. Bryan Young, Charles Linglett and Jamie Bates have signed AHL contracts with Springfield and look for the Oilers to lock up another veteran soon.

Eric Boguniecki is on their radar, so is Wyatt Smith and a few other AHL veterans.

Many believe it is a slam dunk that the Oilers will move their AHL franchise to Oklahoma City next year, but it’s not for sure just yet.

The Oilers have been to OKC and checked out the Ford Centre, and that’s where the yield sign comes in. The Ford Center needs some renovations, and if they aren’t done by this time next year, then the Oilers won’t move their AHL team there. The geography works out for them, but right now the facility is not up to par. If city council approves the renovations then I’d bet it’s a for sure that the Oilers end up there, but they won’t go if the facility is not renovated by next year.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
One of Canada's most versatile sports personalities. Jason hosts The Jason Gregor Show, weekdays from 2 to 6 p.m., on TSN 1260, and he writes a column every Monday in the Edmonton Journal. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/JasonGregor
Avatar
#51 misfit
July 24 2009, 02:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Jason Gregor wrote:

And I’m not certain it is a lock that Pisani and Moreau will be bookends on the 3rd line. One of them might find themselves on the 4th line, but still a key PK guy.

I've liked the idea of a Moreau-Pouliot*-Stortini line for some time now, and I hope we see it next year. I don't think Moreau can handle the heavy lifting, or at least not to the extent he used to, so a slide tothe 4th line is perfect for me.

*Brodziak would've been by first choice here.

Also, I like that they're on the verge of signing Potulny. I'm still curious why he wans't given a longer look in preseason last year. I think he only dressed in one or two games, and I thought he looked quite good.

Avatar
#52 OilW30
July 24 2009, 02:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Jason Gregor wrote:

Archaeologuy wrote: I’m not sure that Biron is clearly worse than Bulin, although I wont say he’s clearly better either. If Stanley Cup ring, and the fact that Biron has never been mentioned as a top-ten goalie in the league. Khabibulin has.

You're going to get roasted for both of those comments. Have you read the posts on Coppernblue, mc79hockey, Lowetide and Fromtherink?

I think it's pretty obvious that we would have been better off with either the Roloson or the Biron deal.

Avatar
#53 DanMan
July 24 2009, 02:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Gregor, I don't care what the stats are for this goalie comparison. You can just watch the games and clearly see Khabibulin is the better goaltender.

Biron never took that next step people expected him to take. I know he had a good playoff, but has had a history of letting in some questionable goals at crucial moments of the game. He used to be a butterfly, now he's kind of a hybrid. When you have to change your style so late in your career, that tells me something is wrong.

Stats are important, sometimes the best tool we have for figuring out who fits best and where, but I think the Oilers made the right decision in net.

Avatar
#54 ronaldo
July 24 2009, 02:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

OilW30 wrote:

You’re going to get roasted for both of those comments. Have you read the posts on Coppernblue, mc79hockey, Lowetide and Fromtherink? I think it’s pretty obvious that we would have been better off with either the Roloson or the Biron deal.

Well there you have it, case closed, the blogosphere has spoken and it is pretty obvious either Roloson or Biron would have been a better choice. Back to the goat.

Avatar
#55 dyckster
July 24 2009, 02:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

OilW30 wrote:

I think it’s pretty obvious that we would have been better off with either the Roloson or the Biron deal.

With all due respect @oilw30 how the F#$% do we know we would have been better off? Bulin hasn't even pulled on an Oiler jersey yet? Give the guy an opportunity to earn his salary! New team, new head & associate & goalie coach, there's a VERY GOOD possibility Bulin will thrive in this environment.

Avatar
#56 scorecoff hemmercules
July 24 2009, 02:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Gregor

I constantly here Nilsson mentioned as the guy we might/will/want to trade. Does he have any value at all right now?? Are the oilers even shopping him, considering buy-out or demoting him??

Avatar
#57 NBOilerFan
July 24 2009, 02:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

What and where did this "alleged three-way deal involving Marleau" come from?

Avatar
#58 vern
July 24 2009, 02:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

san jose would have to ship out marleau and someone in the range of setoguchi or pavelski. just to take on heatlys salary.

Avatar
#59 swany
July 24 2009, 03:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

vern wrote:

san jose would have to ship out marleau and someone in the range of setoguchi or pavelski. just to take on heatlys salary.

If they ship out 2 guys for one and end up at the same #'s as of now that means they have 6 holes to fill not 5 and roughly 420k to do it Heatley is not an option for SJ.

Avatar
#60 Hoss
July 24 2009, 03:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

It's true there is almost no chance they can fit his contract without shedding about 10 mill in cap space.

Avatar
#61 Hoss
July 24 2009, 03:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Hey I know! Marleau and Michalek for the smid cogliano and Penner to Ottawa Heatley to San Jose! Ill call Steve right now.

Avatar
#62 oilers123
July 24 2009, 03:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I hope moreau is part of a deal. I can't stand the fact he is our captain and hasn't played a full season in years. If they can't trade him then they should demote him. IMO stortini is better then him. Marleau would be alright but also has a NTC and loves San Jose, he is there longest standing player and captain. Would you waive your NTC to move from San Jose to Edmonton ? Also Hemsky is a great passer but Thorton is probably the best in the league.

Avatar
#63 vern
July 24 2009, 03:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

swany wrote:

vern wrote: san jose would have to ship out marleau and someone in the range of setoguchi or pavelski. just to take on heatlys salary. If they ship out 2 guys for one and end up at the same #’s as of now that means they have 6 holes to fill not 5 and roughly 420k to do it Heatley is not an option for SJ.

that was my point. didn't feel the need to state the obvious. im trying to limit my typing. I have a broken hand so typing is dificult

Avatar
#64 Victoria
July 24 2009, 03:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
ScubaSteve wrote: The Oilers never thought Roli was garbage, they offered him a 1 year deal at 3 mil they just didn’t want that second year, Habbi is only 36 Roli is 40 and Habbi has something to prove lets wait and see I for one think he will be as good as Roli or better.

I'm saying Oilers fans thought he was garbage. That is an undeniable fact.

Oh and Roli isn't 40 yet, when he turns 40 it'll only be a few months until Khabibulin is 37. Don't exaggerate their ages.

Avatar
#65 swany
July 24 2009, 03:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Hoss wrote:

Hey I know! Marleau and Michalek for the smid cogliano and Penner to Ottawa Heatley to San Jose! Ill call Steve right now.

Guys it can't happen SJ needs to trade away about 15 mil to get heatley and still have enough money to sign a full roster, Are you guys heatley's agents or something telling him there's a chance it could happen look at the #'s they don't have enough cap space to sign a full roster as it sits now. 427,000 in cap space with 5 spots to fill for a full roster, how do you add 7.5 mil plus 4 roster spots with 427,000 left to spend? Dany are you reading this NO CHANCE IN HELL YOU GET TO GO TO SJ.

Avatar
#66 swany
July 24 2009, 03:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Victoria wrote:

ScubaSteve wrote: The Oilers never thought Roli was garbage, they offered him a 1 year deal at 3 mil they just didn’t want that second year, Habbi is only 36 Roli is 40 and Habbi has something to prove lets wait and see I for one think he will be as good as Roli or better. I’m saying Oilers fans thought he was garbage. That is an undeniable fact. Oh and Roli isn’t 40 yet, when he turns 40 it’ll only be a few months until Khabibulin is 37. Don’t exaggerate their ages.

it's still 3 years sorry and why all the hate for Habbi he hasn't even blown a game yet?

Avatar
#67 ronaldo
July 24 2009, 03:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Victoria wrote:

I’m saying Oilers fans thought he was garbage. That is an undeniable fact.

Denied. Many thought he wasn't worth his contract or a isn't a number one goalie that can handle 70 games. Many would say there were better options. I don't believe that Oiler fans on the whole, or even a majority, would say he was garbage.

Avatar
#68 Victoria
July 24 2009, 03:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

ScubaSteve wrote:

Nobody says Roli is garbage, they are simply saying that Khabi is better. Not everyone likes Roli- Get over it. and BTW, no way Roli wins the Conn Smythe, Pronger had it hands down if the Oil take the cup.

re: what I said to the other guys about the opinion regarding Roli.

Also, the Conn Smyth thing: I said 'possibly'. It was possible as he was considered a front runner, like Khabibulin was back in '04.

Avatar
#69 Archaeologuy
July 24 2009, 03:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Victoria:

I would have expected Roli to win the Conn Smyth. Pronger played very very well, but it was the Roli Show that whole run.

Avatar
#70 Victoria
July 24 2009, 03:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

ronaldo wrote:

Victoria wrote: I’m saying Oilers fans thought he was garbage. That is an undeniable fact. Denied. Many thought he wasn’t worth his contract or a isn’t a number one goalie that can handle 70 games. Many would say there were better options. I don’t believe that Oiler fans on the whole, or even a majority, would say he was garbage.

No trust me, fans were horrible when they talked about Roloson right from the get-go. They shut up during the playoffs, started up again halfway through the '06/07 season, went rabid during the '07/08 season, then somewhat shutup again this past season. I know this because I got into a lot of debates about it.

Avatar
#71 Victoria
July 24 2009, 03:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Archaeologuy wrote:

@ Victoria: I would have expected Roli to win the Conn Smyth. Pronger played very very well, but it was the Roli Show that whole run.

Woot! Thanks.

And I agree.

Avatar
#72 Hoss
July 24 2009, 03:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ swany: I think San Jose would be out of their minds if they accepted the deal I suggested. But the fact does remain as you suggest they need to move a big number or two just to complete their roster. Maybe there are other options out there other than Heatbag?

Avatar
#73 Archaeologuy
July 24 2009, 03:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Victoria: It all depends on how well Roli played in the Finals. If he was just regular maybe Pronger would have squeeked past, but Roli was SO good it was ridiculous. I still curse MA Bergeron for losing us the Cup.

Either way, no one will ever know.

Avatar
#74 Victoria
July 24 2009, 03:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

swany wrote:

it’s still 3 years sorry and why all the hate for Habbi he hasn’t even blown a game yet?

When one guys has a plethora of injuries and the other doesn't, that three years isn't such a huge gap. Actually it isn't even if you consider the injuries to 'Bulin, Roloson was able to play like a goaltender younger then 39, so why does that automatically indicate Khabibulin will do the same?

Also, I never said I hated Khabibulin, actually I like him... I just don't like his contract.

Avatar
#75 Hoss
July 24 2009, 03:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Both our oaltenders are less than a 5 million dollar cap hit which is pretty good. I think there are 3 or 4 worse contracts than Khabibulin's on our roster. Wait and see is my take though.

Avatar
#76 swany
July 24 2009, 03:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Victoria wrote:

swany wrote: it’s still 3 years sorry and why all the hate for Habbi he hasn’t even blown a game yet? When one guys has a plethora of injuries and the other doesn’t, that three years isn’t such a huge gap. Actually it isn’t even if you consider the injuries to ‘Bulin, Roloson was able to play like a goaltender younger then 39, so why does that automatically indicate Khabibulin will do the same? Also, I never said I hated Khabibulin, actually I like him… I just don’t like his contract.

Did you like the contract before Biron signed? and 3.75 mil per for a starting goalie isn't that bad, I like the contract and when he is on his game he is one guy that can out dual Kipper and Sir Louy when he's on.

Avatar
#77 Hoss
July 24 2009, 03:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ swany: I agree, when he is on he can be as good as those 2. He has a bit of a hard time when teams crash the net but very few don't.

Avatar
#78 Hemmertime
July 24 2009, 03:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Hoss: 3-4 Worse contracts? That implies Khabi is a bad contract. What do you think a starting goalie costs? 2-2.5 mil wont get you someone solid usually

Avatar
#79 Hoss
July 24 2009, 03:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Hemmertime: I don't think its bad at all. Just off the top of my head there are 3-4 worse. I think Steve T. addressed one of our glaring problems with a good signing that we seem to be debating before we see the results.

Avatar
#80 TonyT
July 24 2009, 04:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I think that fact that the Flyers (clearly a better team than the Oilers) went with Emery(!?) and Boucher(!!!!?) tells us all we need to know about Biron.

Avatar
#81 MoJo
July 24 2009, 04:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Is it just me, or does anyone else have visions in their head of the video the Oilers sent to Heatley being exactly like the movie used to hypnotise Zoolander?

The Prime Minister of Malaysia better watch out.

Avatar
#82 Wilson
July 24 2009, 04:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

The thing with Roli is that he's a terrible backup (Kidd & Tabaracci in Calgary, Hasek & Biron in Buffalo, Manny in Minny, Garon in Edmonton), mediocre as a 1A/1B (Manny again), not bad as a starter (Minny & Edmonton) and only becomes a masked god when asked to play 15-20+ games in a row.

Loved the guy and what he did for the Oil, but a 39/40-year-old goalie that needs 60 games to be at his best is not exactly a recipe for success, either for this year, next year or the years after (thinking JDD or DD).

I wish him luck, but Roli never seems to get much - back in a threesome again (for the third time!!)

Avatar
#83 roadrunner
July 24 2009, 04:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I don't see there being anymore moves prior to the season so my thinking is this for line combo's

1st line: Hemsky-Horcoff-Penner (let Penner get some confidence under the new coaches for 25-30 games)

2nd line: Gagne-Cogliano-Nilsson (like Penner, give Nilsson a bit of a leash. These 3 obviously play well together so why break them up to get others going)

3rd Line: O'Sullivan-Brule-Pisani (give Brule the shot he needs as he's got some grit and maybe can help the faceoff %)

4th Line: Moreau-Potulny-Stortini (Potulny showed some promise but didn't get enough consistant ice time to crack the lineup because of MacT's man crushes on Reddox & Pouliot)

Under Quinn and Renney this lineup has to obviously be better so give them a chance to gel and if the Oiler brass can improve the team down the road by all means do so. Pouliot should see limited duty because he's been given every opportunity and just can't get it done.

MacIntyre & Jacques can be the designated "beef" when needed mixing into the 3rd and 4th lines.

As for the defence, The top 5 are predominately set but I say unload Staois and give Strudwick the 6th spot. Throw in Peckham for the beef as the 7th d-man.

Let them work with what they have under the new coaches and give some of the kid prospects shots during the season. Lets face it, this is the lineup heading into training camp people.

Avatar
#84 TonyT
July 24 2009, 04:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Also, of all the things to debate, goaltending shouldn't be one of them. If anything, it' a sideways move (which shouldn't be a problem as goaltending was not the reason we missed the playoffs). Willis' argument for a true third line centre is what the Oilers really need to be addressing.

Avatar
#85 Victoria
July 24 2009, 04:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Wilson wrote:

The thing with Roli is that he’s a terrible backup (Kidd & Tabaracci in Calgary, Hasek & Biron in Buffalo, Manny in Minny, Garon in Edmonton), mediocre as a 1A/1B (Manny again), not bad as a starter (Minny & Edmonton) and only becomes a masked god when asked to play 15-20+ games in a row. Loved the guy and what he did for the Oil, but a 39/40-year-old goalie that needs 60 games to be at his best is not exactly a recipe for success, either for this year, next year or the years after (thinking JDD or DD). I wish him luck, but Roli never seems to get much - back in a threesome again (for the third time!!)

So... what you're saying is you don't want a goalie who plays well when he plays a lot?

FYI, Roli had some of the best stats in the league when he was in a 1A/B with Fernandez (not sure how that's mediocre). Also, backups goalies never have a chance to play well because they never have a chance to get into a groove, so that argument isn't really fair.

Avatar
#86 Victoria
July 24 2009, 05:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

swany wrote:

Did you like the contract before Biron signed? and 3.75 mil per for a starting goalie isn’t that bad, I like the contract and when he is on his game he is one guy that can out dual Kipper and Sir Louy when he’s on.

No, I didn't like his contract from the get-go. True, 3.75 isn't bad for a starter, my concern is that he wont be a capable starter for the duration if the next four years. His injuries in the last few years indicates a continuing problem (because, as we all know, you don't improve physically with age) and if something happens in the new future and he can't play anymore, we're on the hook for his whole contract.

Avatar
#87 Garett
July 24 2009, 05:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I still hope we land The "Heater" Heatley!

Avatar
#88 Ogden Brother
July 24 2009, 05:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Hoss wrote:

@ Hemmertime: I don’t think its bad at all. Just off the top of my head there are 3-4 worse. I think Steve T. addressed one of our glaring problems with a good signing that we seem to be debating before we see the results.

Oddly enough theirs been 958,438 debates about Horcs new contract to which he will just be starting.

Avatar
#89 NBOilerFan
July 24 2009, 05:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Once again, where is this "alleged three-way deal" coming from?

Sounds like Gregor looking to jump into the Eklund "trade rumors" business. Is this a G3 or G4?

Avatar
#90 Jason Gregor
July 24 2009, 05:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

scorecoff hemmercules wrote:

I constantly here Nilsson mentioned as the guy we might/will/want to trade. Does he have any value at all right now?? Are the oilers even shopping him, considering buy-out or demoting him??

The Oilers are hoping he comes in with a new attitude, but really it is up to him. He has no value on the market right now.

Avatar
#91 Jonathan Willis
July 24 2009, 05:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Jason Gregor:

And the argument that Khabibulin might get injured is void since Biron has had injury problems as well; starting only 31 games after the lockout and then 34 in 2006/2007.

I'm fairly sure that you're wrong here.

Biron didn't play because Buffalo also had Ryan Miller (he was part of a three-headed tandem with Miller and Noronen). I've looked and I can't find any evidence that he was injured either of those seasons (and he actually played 35 games both years, not 31 and 34). Biorn has missed exactly three games to injury since the lockout (flu).

Khabibulin on the other hand has missed 66 games with back spasms, knee injury, groin injury, and multiple "lower body" injuries.

You can't say that injury-risk isn't a factor. For a guy like Khabibulin, at age 36 and with his injury record it needs to be considered. For Biron, a 31 year old who has no injury record, it doesn't.

Avatar
#92 Oilersordeath
July 24 2009, 05:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Just an FYI Shremp is working out with Sam Gagner at his (Dave Gagners) gym, sounds like he's bustin ass for what could be his last chance this time.

Avatar
#93 Jonathan Willis
July 24 2009, 05:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Jason Gregor:

The only reason anyone wants Biron is because of his contract

Not me. I've been pushing for Biron since before free agency opened - since not only does he have the best numbers of any of the free agent goalies, he's also the youngest bonafide starter on the market and he has no injury record. On top of that, of the three bonafide starters (Biron, Roloson and Khabibulin) he's the only one who hasn't imploded in at least one season since the lockout.

and he only signed that because he and his agent had overvalued his worth on the market, and the Islanders were his only remaining option. Biron wouldn’t have signed on July 1st for that type of money, and the Oilers didn’t have him in their top three UFA goalies.

1) Why did the Oilers need to sign a goaltender on July 1st or 2nd? Particularly given that the options for free agent goalies were limited (as you point out)?

2) Out of curiosity, what did the Oilers list look like?

Avatar
#94 misfit
July 24 2009, 05:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I guess evidence can be given that Roloson (they offered him a contract which he turned down due to length) and Khabibulin (they signed him) were ahead of Biron on their list, but who's the 3rd UFA goalie they had ahead of Biron?

Avatar
#95 Little Fury
July 24 2009, 05:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

"July 2nd, the Oilers sign Khabibulin for four years at $3.75 million a season."

Khabibulin was signed on July 1 at 1:07 PM EST.

YOU ARE WRONG.

Avatar
#96 oilersseasonticketholdersince99
July 24 2009, 07:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

For the last 4 years all we hear from the Oilers organization is a bunch of BS,from K lowe promising to move up at the draft and going after and getting big name free agents to Tamballini after fireing Mactavish and telling us that there was going to be major changes add more grit,more scoring and holding the players accountable.where is the accountability on managements part to us fans?I can guess they dont care.I for one will not put up with this any longer and I know I am not the only one who feels this way.I will vote with my pocket book come spring time if this team is not improved and if Tamballini does not keep his word of changes.Instead of lowe and Tamballini sending Heatley a video why not an appolgy to the fans and a discount on season tickets,If they keep up the job that they have been doing they will be begging the fans to come to Rexal place not hockey players.

Avatar
#97 NBOilerFan
July 24 2009, 07:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Jonathan Willis wrote:

@ Jason Gregor: The only reason anyone wants Biron is because of his contract Not me. I’ve been pushing for Biron since before free agency opened
Same here!
Avatar
#98 ScubaSteve
July 24 2009, 07:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Jonathan Willis wrote:

since not only does he have the best numbers of any of the free agent goalies

While I usually like the stats thing, they don't show the whole story, there's a reason that Biron wasn't signed before Roli, Khabi, Anderson, Clemmenson, ect.

Avatar
#99 Wilson
July 24 2009, 07:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Roli spent 3-1/2 seasons in Minny with Fernandez. They split the first year (01-02) evenly & Roli ran 14-20-7, 2.68 GAA & .901. I'd call that mediocre. The next two years he carried the load - split hairs if you will, but I'd call anyone that starts 50 games your number one. He had a winning record both years, GAA under 2 & a save percentage over 9-1/4. Much better. Went back to 1A/1B, then caddying for Fernandez for 05-06, mediocre again (at best - one win in 14 starts & .884), and ended up in E-town.

My point is that the Oil have goaltending stock that they're high on & they've gotta get them playing time to develop. 10 games a year isn't going to make any of the kids playable OR tradeable - and at the end of the day/contract your only choice in net is pushing 41.

And yes, the argument is fair - a lot of goalies put up beautiful numbers in a rotation or off the bench. Most play better with a little rest. In fact, Roli is one of the few that looks better at 65 games than he did at 60. If Roli played better on fewer minutes he would've graduated to a starter earlier in his career, IMHO.

I think he's a stud, but investing 60 games in a 41-year-old is high risk.

Victoria wrote:

Wilson wrote: The thing with Roli is that he’s a terrible backup (Kidd & Tabaracci in Calgary, Hasek & Biron in Buffalo, Manny in Minny, Garon in Edmonton), mediocre as a 1A/1B (Manny again), not bad as a starter (Minny & Edmonton) and only becomes a masked god when asked to play 15-20+ games in a row. Loved the guy and what he did for the Oil, but a 39/40-year-old goalie that needs 60 games to be at his best is not exactly a recipe for success, either for this year, next year or the years after (thinking JDD or DD). I wish him luck, but Roli never seems to get much - back in a threesome again (for the third time!!) So… what you’re saying is you don’t want a goalie who plays well when he plays a lot? FYI, Roli had some of the best stats in the league when he was in a 1A/B with Fernandez (not sure how that’s mediocre). Also, backups goalies never have a chance to play well because they never have a chance to get into a groove, so that argument isn’t really fair.
Avatar
#100 Hemmertime
July 24 2009, 08:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ oilersseasonticketholdersince99: Someone else will buy your tickets, and then the next year you will buy someone else's again. Oiler heroin

Comments are closed for this article.