On the fence: for better or worse?

Robin Brownlee
July 27 2009 06:57PM

lowe-tambellini

If the Edmonton Oilers don't make another roster move between now and the start of the 2009-10 season, do you see them on the outside looking in for a playoff spot for the fourth straight season or are you of the mind they'll be back in the post-season?

While I'm sitting on the fence, I'm leaning big-time toward the former. That's the easy projection of course, and it seems to be the overriding sentiment around here during these hockey dog days of summer.

Still, there's a corner of my brain -- my head is square -- that says otherwise, even if there isn't much evidence, and none in terms of new personnel, that the Oilers can climb from 11th place back into the top eight in the Western Conference.

Reasonable arguments can be made on both sides of the issue, so rather than slag Dany Heatley yet again, lament that Nikolai Khabibulin will be 57 when his $166-million contract is up and curse Steve Tambellini for mostly sitting around with his thumb in his arse when he's not on his knees in Kelowna, let's do that.

THE PESSIMIST SAYS

-- With Heatley dragging his feet until the San Jose Sharks come up with a package of players that tickles Bryan Murray's fancy, the Oilers will again lack the one-shot scorer they covet to complement Shawn Horcoff and Ales Hemsky. The first line won't be good enough.

-- Khabibulin isn't a significant upgrade on Dwayne Roloson and odds are Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers, left to die on the vine last season, isn't capable of taking over as No. 1 when the Bulin Wall takes a header in the shower and dislocates his spine four games into the season.

-- With Tambellini failing to bring in any high-priced help for Hemsky, letting Ales Kotalik walk and Pat Quinn thinking No. 83 is a centre, how long is it before Hemsky phones agent Jiri Crha and says, "Get me the hell out of here, and make it fast?"

-- Patrick O'Sullivan, Sam Gagner, Andrew Cogliano and Gilbert Brule are pencilled into Quinn's top-nine forwards, and Robert Nilsson is still hanging around, so the Oilers remain too soft and too small up front. Not a six-footer in that group. There isn't enough grit in those expected to play top-nine minutes.

-- Between Lubomir Visnovsky's surgically-repaired shoulder, Tom Gilbert's bad back and Sheldon Souray's long list of past injuries, a defensive group that seems to be deep is a couple of bad breaks from leaning on Denis Grebeshkov, Steve Staios, Jason Strudwick and Theo Peckham for too many top-four minutes. Does the thought of seeing Taylor Chorney force-fed playing time give you the willies? Me too.

THE OPTIMIST SAYS

-- Dustin Penner can't possibly be worse than he was last season under Craig MacTavish, who made him a whipping boy. While PDP brought some of that on himself, MacTavish went too far and showed him up. A new start under Quinn and Tom Renney could be exactly what Penner needs to pick up where he left off in Anaheim before hitting a wall under MacTavish. Might the Oilers already have the first-line LW they seek?

-- This team won't have the distraction of the dressing room splits that were whispered about much of last season. While some of that talk was nothing more than gossip and speculation, MacTavish lost the room with his inability to resist the temptation to make examples of certain players, particularly Penner. That, I can tell you first-hand, was a real problem.

-- The penalty-killing (ranked 27th) will be better under Quinn and Renney. I know, how could it be worse? Likewise, the power play, which was a middling 22nd, has the potential to move up 8-10 notches with a full season of O'Sullivan and if Penner gets more PP time, which he deserves.

-- No chance the Oilers replicate their feeble 18-17-6 home record at Rexall Place. That was 14th in the West, ahead of only Colorado.

-- Liam Reddox will not play on the first line at any point this season. Then again, neither will Rob Schremp.

Which side of the fence are you on? Let me know.

GRIFFITHS FIRED AT TEAM 1260

Bryn Griffiths, host of More On Sports at TEAM 1260, was let go by Astral Media at 4 p.m. this afternoon.

Griffiths served as sports director under Marty Forbes when TEAM 1260 took to the airwaves some seven years ago and co-hosted More On Sports with Jake Daniels until Daniels was fired this spring. More later.

-- Listen to Robin Brownlee every Thursday from 4 to 6 p.m. on Just A Game with Jason Gregor on Team 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
A sports writer since 1983, including stints at The Edmonton Journal and The Sun 1989-2007, I happily co-host the Jason Gregor Show on TSN 1260 twice a week and write when so inclined. Have the best damn lawn on the internet. Most important, I am Sam's dad. Follow me on Twitter at Robin_Brownlee. Or don't.
Avatar
#51 Travis Dakin
July 28 2009, 08:01AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Robin Brownlee wrote:

The players didn’t appreciate MacTavish benching, sitting and publicly chastising Penner. The part many found most offensive was the reference MacTavish made to Penner’s contract. That’s off-limits.

So Instead of being mad at Penner for letting the team down with less than A+ effort, they get mad at the coach for calling him on it. Well the good thing is that maybe that will unify them a little more and we wont hear as much about the rift in the room between players however exaggerated it may have been.

Avatar
#52 niinimaa44
July 28 2009, 08:05AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I am leaning towards more of the same and missing the playoffs. The Oilers don't have the horses, the size, the grit or the skill level to get back into the postseason dance. Steve Tambellini promised us a bigger, badder and tougher team to play against. Well, what do we have to show for it as we approach August? Khabibulin in goal, and the subtractions of Brodziak, Reddox, Kotalik and Roloson. That's it! Where's the grit, size and sandpaper we were promised? I want to see some action taken and attempting to lure the man-baby Dany Heatley to Edmonton doesn't count. How about moving slow and aging Steve Staios for picks to give Theo Peckham more valuable playing time? How about letting Pouliot and Jacques go since their experiments have failed long ago? How about trying to peddle Robert Nilsson to Nashville for the irritable Jordin Tootoo? How about unloading some bloated offensive depth on the blueline for some grit and/or scoring up front? How about dealing one bust, Dustin Penner, for another in Ryan Malone? At least Malone has grit, size and heart. I want action and roster movement which we were promised. I will be very upset if we head into this new season with the current roster as it sits now.

Avatar
#53 Robin Brownlee
July 28 2009, 08:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Travis Dakin wrote:

Robin Brownlee wrote: The players didn’t appreciate MacTavish benching, sitting and publicly chastising Penner. The part many found most offensive was the reference MacTavish made to Penner’s contract. That’s off-limits. So Instead of being mad at Penner for letting the team down with less than A+ effort, they get mad at the coach for calling him on it. Well the good thing is that maybe that will unify them a little more and we wont hear as much about the rift in the room between players however exaggerated it may have been.

I hear you. As the guy who started the PDP handle, I'm not big on giving a player an out just because he isn't tight with the coach. It's up to the player to perform. That said, players are not only teammates but friends, and when the perception is that one of them is being singled out, as Penner was, it creates a problem. I get the source of MacTavish's frustration, but I'm not coaching the team. If the opinion in the room is you're trying to cut one player out of the herd and make an example of him, there's going to be a backlash.

Avatar
#54 Calamus
July 28 2009, 08:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

We sneak in 7-8 into the playoffs this year. One or two games from missing the playoffs again. We all get to shorten our life spans and grow a few gray hairs in the process.

I'm of the mind that, like brownlee said " No chance the Oilers replicate their feeble 18-17-6 home record at Rexall Place. That was 14th in the West, ahead of only Colorado." And that'll be the few extra points that put us over the hump.

Avatar
#55 smiliegirl15
July 28 2009, 08:48AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

This summer just smacks of Lowe tying Tambelini's hands with building up the team. He doesn't want Tambelini making him look like (more of) a fool. When he signed Peca and Pronger after the lockout and we went all the way (thanks Van), he looked like a hero. He looked like the GM who knew how to run a hockey club under the new cap era. That was then. Lowe needs to go too because as long as he's around, Tambelini is going to be second guessed at EVERY move.

Avatar
#56 Travis Dakin
July 28 2009, 08:50AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Robin Brownlee: I've always been of the perception that MacTavish was a "players coach" in that he never seemed to be hard enough on guys. There were complaints in the last few years about his inability to motivate the team and when guys seemed to be taking the night off too often he didn't seem to be hard enough on them. I thought it was a welcome breath of fresh air from him when he started to be a little more vocal in the media about what he thought, which is pretty much what the fans were thinking too. In PDP's case especially. But that's probably due to the fact that because of sites like this we have a lot more of an intimate view. Either that or it was so bad that he HAD to say something. That's what I have an issue with. The reports were that Penner didn't come to camp in shape the last two years and that is unacceptable. Do the players hold each other accountable to perform and if so, why was MacTavish compelled to rake him over the coals? I never thought MacT was out of line. PDP was obviously singled out for a reason.

Avatar
#57 jeff
July 28 2009, 08:56AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

First, as for the Team 1260 making changes. I noticed a a few months back that there was some tension on the morning show and things never seemed to get better.

But today listening was just brutal. Maybe it was because they were talking about the races, but it was all mono-tone talk.

Second, as for the Team Oilers making changes. I really wonder if Tambo just wants to see what the team can do with a new coach. Barring any serious injuries this team should be better, simply because younger players are maturing. I really don't see how we can't knock out teams like CBJ and STL.

Avatar
#58 Robin Brownlee
July 28 2009, 09:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

jeff wrote:

I really don’t see how we can’t knock out teams like CBJ and STL.

The Blue Jackets and Blues are on the rise, so I wouldn't look at them as teams to overtake. Columbus, in particular, will be better.

Avatar
#59 jeff
July 28 2009, 09:14AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Robin Brownlee: I know that we shouldn't overlook them, but I really don't see what either team has that we don't? The only really thing is that their coaches last year seemed to have actual game plans.

Avatar
#60 Ogden Brother
July 28 2009, 09:26AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

smiliegirl15 wrote:

This summer just smacks of Lowe tying Tambelini’s hands with building up the team. He doesn’t want Tambelini making him look like (more of) a fool. When he signed Peca and Pronger after the lockout and we went all the way (thanks Van), he looked like a hero. He looked like the GM who knew how to run a hockey club under the new cap era. That was then. Lowe needs to go too because as long as he’s around, Tambelini is going to be second guessed at EVERY move.

We're stretching pretty far looking for excuses.

Avatar
#61 OvenChicken8
July 28 2009, 09:29AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ jeff: Columbus has a one shot scorer in Nash and a rising star goalie in Mason.

St. Louis has a couple 30+ goal scorers with Boyes and Backes.

Thats what they have that we don't from off the top of my head.

Avatar
#62 Ogden Brother
July 28 2009, 09:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Robin Brownlee wrote:

jeff wrote: I really don’t see how we can’t knock out teams like CBJ and STL. The Blue Jackets and Blues are on the rise, so I wouldn’t look at them as teams to overtake. Columbus, in particular, will be better.

That's so hard to say at this point, I mean what was the difference between the Blues of 08/09 and the Oil of 07/08? Not much as far as I can tell, it's very easy to see them taken the same step back the Oil just did.

Avatar
#63 Robin Brownlee
July 28 2009, 09:56AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Ogden Brother wrote:

Robin Brownlee wrote: jeff wrote: I really don’t see how we can’t knock out teams like CBJ and STL. The Blue Jackets and Blues are on the rise, so I wouldn’t look at them as teams to overtake. Columbus, in particular, will be better. That’s so hard to say at this point, I mean what was the difference between the Blues of 08/09 and the Oil of 07/08? Not much as far as I can tell, it’s very easy to see them taken the same step back the Oil just did.

For starters, the Blues will get more than 11 games out of Paul Kariya and 46 from Andy McDonald. How does that signal a step back to you?

Avatar
#64 Ogden Brother
July 28 2009, 10:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Robin Brownlee wrote:

Ogden Brother wrote: Robin Brownlee wrote: jeff wrote: I really don’t see how we can’t knock out teams like CBJ and STL. The Blue Jackets and Blues are on the rise, so I wouldn’t look at them as teams to overtake. Columbus, in particular, will be better. That’s so hard to say at this point, I mean what was the difference between the Blues of 08/09 and the Oil of 07/08? Not much as far as I can tell, it’s very easy to see them taken the same step back the Oil just did. For starters, the Blues will get more than 11 games out of Paul Kariya and 46 from Andy McDonald. How does that signal a step back to you?

The Oil got more then 30 games out of Souray and more then 50 games out of Horc this past year and seen a step back.

The actual season doesn't always play out like you would assume on paper. Ask Boston/Montreal from this past year.

Avatar
#65 Taylor
July 28 2009, 10:13AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Robin Brownlee wrote:

For starters, the Blues will get more than 11 games out of Paul Kariya and 46 from Andy McDonald. How does that signal a step back to you?

They'll also get a full season of Oshie and Erik Johnson as well as a healthy dose of Eric Brewer when he's ready.

Columbus was also without Brassard who was on a PPG pace in his rookie season, Filatov, who was also injured and a full season of Vermette.

Dallas should be much better with all of Morrow, Lehtinen and Ott in the lineup and LA looks to be much improved with Smyth and Scuderi.

Making the playoffs will be much harder next season, not easier.

Avatar
#66 Colin
July 28 2009, 10:13AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Ogden Brother wrote:

The Oil got more then 30 games out of Souray and more then 50 games out of Horc this past year and seen a step back. The actual season doesn’t always play out like you would assume on paper. Ask Boston/Montreal from this past year.

We can make it because they might suck/have injuries isn't exactly a resounding endorsement.

Avatar
#67 Ogden Brother
July 28 2009, 10:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Colin wrote:

Ogden Brother wrote: The Oil got more then 30 games out of Souray and more then 50 games out of Horc this past year and seen a step back. The actual season doesn’t always play out like you would assume on paper. Ask Boston/Montreal from this past year. We can make it because they might suck/have injuries isn’t exactly a resounding endorsement.

The point is the Blues move from 07/08 to 08/09 was almost identical to the Oil move from 06/07 to 07/08

ie key vets out substantial time (Kariya/McDonald vs Souray/Horc) the emergence of young players playing a key role Gagner/Cogs/Nilsson/Grebs/Gilbert vs Backes/Perron/Oshie/Berglund and Vetran career back-up goalies supriging, putting up solid numbers giving their team a chance to win every night Mason vs Garon.

Last year we were supposed to be the young team on the rise with the now healthy returning vets.... yet that didn't seem to work out as planned. This year that team is the Blues... yet it's a lock they progress?

Avatar
#68 Sandra
July 28 2009, 10:22AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Robin Brownlee wrote:

MattN wrote: @ RB “MacTavish lost the room with his inability to resist the temptation to make examples of certain players, particularly Penner. That, I can tell you first-hand, was a real problem.” Care to elaborate on the first hand information? The players didn’t appreciate MacTavish benching, sitting and publicly chastising Penner. The part many found most offensive was the reference MacTavish made to Penner’s contract. That’s off-limits.

He should have refered to his G.M. for offering that contract, It had nothing to do with Penner. Lowe is still a problem with the management team. From the contracts( Bulin Wall ) and the begging, it still smells of Lowe.He has to let go and just be a "token" of the past. He will never be a Snow.

Avatar
#69 smiliegirl15
July 28 2009, 10:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Ogden Brother wrote:

We’re stretching pretty far looking for excuses.

Maybe Tambelini is just incompetent and doesn't need Lowe's help for that. Honestly to me, it still looks like Lowe is running the show. Personally I think he's done enough damage to this club already.

Avatar
#70 Ogden Brother
July 28 2009, 10:52AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

smiliegirl15 wrote:

Ogden Brother wrote: We’re stretching pretty far looking for excuses. Maybe Tambelini is just incompetent and doesn’t need Lowe’s help for that. Honestly to me, it still looks like Lowe is running the show. Personally I think he’s done enough damage to this club already.

Don't forget the guy turned a SEL goalie, a 7th (PP specialist) Dman, a 4/5th dman and a 3rd line center in 75% of our top 4... something most consider a real strength.

Avatar
#71 DanMan
July 28 2009, 10:57AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

STL has a good team, but I'm not sold on Mason or Conklin.

CBJ may be better, but man thats a $hitty blueline

DAL is done. Their run is over. Look at the back end it's terrible.

Avatar
#72 Curious
July 28 2009, 11:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Sandra:

Seriously you are comparing Kevin Lowe's management to Garth Snow? Sure looking back I am sure Lowe woudl have done some things different, but what GM in the league doesnt have a Horcoff contract?

I would take Lowe over Snow any day. At least we had a competitive team here. The Isles have nothing.

Avatar
#73 swany
July 28 2009, 11:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

RB was Mact a good judge of SKILL or a nut job. Last year Mact said this was the most skill the Oil had in years. Now we lost Cole (who did nothing) and Roli, have added PattyO, and Habbi. So did Mact know his stuff does this team have enough skill to make the playoffs or was he out to lunch? I think with the new coaches that alone will give us 5-8 more wins, the team quite in the last 20 games and didn't compete in 75% of the season. Will Gagner start off the season like he ends them Will Penner take this change and run with it, will Horc get back to just about a PPG player (50 points in 53 games) Will Hemmer reach 80 points this year. All I'm saying all teams have big ?, CBJ will Mason keep it up (remember the Net Detective) STB have alot of 2nd year guys saying that they might not take a step back is crazy, plus do you really expect that much from Paul K he's not the same guy that played 5 years ago. The west is very tight and hard to predict but if everything falls into place for the Oil they could end up 6 in the west where they were with 20 games to go last year.

Avatar
#74 West Coast Oil
July 28 2009, 12:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I think making the playoffs this year for any team will come down to how well you compete in your own division. Thats part of the reason I like the Bulin signing as traditionally he has been strong against NW teams. For us to make the play offs we will need to earn more points against our division rivals in our head to head series.

Avatar
#75 Halibut
July 28 2009, 12:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Unless the coaching change makes a huge difference I see us missing the playoffs. Personally I dont think it will, I think MacT did as much as he could with what he had and Renney/Quinn will be lucky to get as much out of them as he did.

Organizationally I think we're still suffering from a lack of balance when drafting and developing talent. Too many small playmakers with speed, not enough big shooters with grit. We've had that problem since back in the 90's when Sather was drafting fast Steve Kelly instead of either grittier players like Shane Doan or Jarome Iginla.

Lowe has tried to juggle and swap and get the pieces he's needed by trade which worked pretty well in 2006 but it's never really been a long term fix. They're still working on fixing the farm system which will make a huge difference, I think they still need to work on the scouting department. I guess we'll see if they've made any headway when we see how well Riley Nash and Alex Plante develop.

Avatar
#76 hatecrime
July 28 2009, 12:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

finally everyone has quit looking through rose coloured glasses about the oilers.we have only gotten rid of players, signed nobody to help our out of the playoff team.unless we have an act of god we are going to have another frustating year.

Avatar
#77 ScubaSteve
July 28 2009, 12:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I think this is a little early to evaluate the team going into next year, there are still lots of players out there, and still lots of time to make moves. Until we know the opening day roster, we can't judge the success/failure of the off-season.

Avatar
#78 OvenChicken8
July 28 2009, 01:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Tambs should get in touch with Sykora's agent and offer him a 1 year contract in the range on 2-2.5

Avatar
#79 swany
July 28 2009, 01:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

OvenChicken8 wrote:

Tambs should get in touch with Sykora’s agent and offer him a 1 year contract in the range on 2-2.5

why and with what money Smid still needs a deal as does Brule, Schremp NO MONEY MAN and Sykora's not going to cut it I don't think he's any better than Penner

Avatar
#80 OvenChicken8
July 28 2009, 01:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ swany: He may not be better than Penner, but he is better than Nilsson. Sign him to a one year contract and waive Robert.

Avatar
#81 dyckster
July 28 2009, 01:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

OvenChicken8 wrote:

He may not be better than Penner, but he is better than Nilsson. Sign him to a one year contract and waive Robert.

If we waive him and nobody claims him, does his salary still go against the cap?

Avatar
#82 OvenChicken8
July 28 2009, 01:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ dyckster: I don't think so, but he would still make his NHL salary in the minors.

Avatar
#83 swany
July 28 2009, 01:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

dyckster wrote:

OvenChicken8 wrote: He may not be better than Penner, but he is better than Nilsson. Sign him to a one year contract and waive Robert. If we waive him and nobody claims him, does his salary still go against the cap?

NO it doesn't he goes down to the A but if recalled and someone claims him we get stuck with half his cap hit.

Avatar
#84 dyckster
July 28 2009, 01:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

swany wrote:

NO it doesn’t he goes down to the A but if recalled and someone claims him we get stuck with half his cap hit.

K, just so I'm clear, if he clears waivers we can send him down and his salary is off the big club's books. If he's claimed we're responsible for 1/2 of his big league salary (I'm assuming til the contract expires). Correct?

Thanks for the info thus far gents!

Avatar
#85 swany
July 28 2009, 02:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

dyckster wrote:

If he’s claimed we’re responsible for 1/2 of his big league salary (I’m assuming til the contract expires). Correct

If he's claimed on the way back up we have to eat half the contract. If we put him on waivers to SEND him down and someone claims him we are on the hook for NOTHING but we lost him for nothing as well

Avatar
#86 dyckster
July 28 2009, 02:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

swany wrote:

but we lost him for nothing as well

Definately a risk I'd be willing to take at this point in time anyway. Maybe one day he'll end up playing like his old man, but I don't think we're in a position to wait.

Avatar
#87 hiway 41 driver
July 28 2009, 02:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Hey Robin,what are you hearing from your sources within the organization and around the NHL; will this current roster be pretty much the same we see on opening day, or do you and your sources still foresee a trade or two before training camp?

I geuss what I am asking is, I am sure Tambellini is working the phones, but is there any real trades being discussed, or has Tambellini pretty much excercised all of his options?

Avatar
#88 Robin Brownlee
July 28 2009, 02:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ hiway 41 driver: I'm hearing very little to be honest. As you can tell by the lack of actual quotes from anybody in Oilers management or the coaching staff on any website or in the newspapers, people are laying low. This period, three weeks or so after the free agency period opens and still a month ahead of players filtering into town to workout, is a dead zone.

Avatar
#89 MrOiler
July 28 2009, 03:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Call me an optimist.

Yeah, I wanted more change/grit. But ...

The Oilers finished 7 points (85 pts) out of 6th place (92 points). That was with a feable 3-8 finish in the last 11 games.

On a whole, most of the team under-achieved this year (with the exception of Roloson and Souray). There's almost a whole team with something to prove (many of them maturing) and one of the most qualified coaching staffs in the league.

We also have 7 months until the March 2010 trade deadline - pieces have been known to change from time to time in pro sports.

Edmonton fans are manic depressives - last year we're winning the division and this year we're missing the playoffs ... with the same team.

Put me down for the 2010 playoffs in Edmonton.

Avatar
#90 dyckster
July 28 2009, 03:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

MrOiler wrote:

Call me an optimist. Yeah, I wanted more change/grit. But … The Oilers finished 7 points (85 pts) out of 6th place (92 points). That was with a feable 3-8 finish in the last 11 games. On a whole, most of the team under-achieved this year (with the exception of Roloson and Souray). There’s almost a whole team with something to prove (many of them maturing) and one of the most qualified coaching staffs in the league. We also have 7 months until the March 2010 trade deadline - pieces have been known to change from time to time in pro sports. Edmonton fans are manic depressives - last year we’re winning the division and this year we’re missing the playoffs … with the same team. Put me down for the 2010 playoffs in Edmonton.

Great post. +1

Avatar
#91 Jodes
July 28 2009, 04:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I guess I'm a pessimest too..

We still have some major holes and they will be apparent by the end of October. Like many have said..

We still don't have a gritty 3rd line PK guy that can win faceoffs.

The 2nd line (regadless of who's on it - Cogs, Nilsson, O Sullivan, Gagner) has no size and again teams know how to play against this line.. its simple, knock them off the puck, time and time again.

Stay at home gritty d-man. I'm sorry, but Steve Staois and Jason Strudwick aren't your guys, and Theo Peckam is still too young. Lady Smid is more or less gone now (there's a reason why he hasn't signed his contract - I'm sure he's just itching to get out)

Those are the holes that should be fixed NOW. As for the #1 C and #1 LW, well, there isn't really much you can do about that, those are unobtainable now.

Then there are the what ifs:

Penner - how is he going to react after being told by the Oil he's pretty much expedible? He could have even a worse work ethic then before.

Horcoff - How long until he's burned out/injured from taking 80% of the faceoffs, 1st line minutes, PK, PP, etc? There's also the new pressure of his new contract.. He messes up and forget Danny Heatley, he's going to be Edmonton's new #1 most hated. He's pretty much there allready.. no fault of his own though (thanks again Kevin Lowe)

Can you just imagine where this team could have been if Kevin Lowe didn't throw money away at Roloson, Moreau, Staois and Pisani? The only "great" contract he's given recently is Hemsky's. I'm sure Ales is still kicking himself now.

I know many are getting worked up about this (as I was) but then I realize, this has been pretty much the scenario since the summer of 06, there is nothing we as fans can do on these boards to change things.

It's been the same excuses for the past 3 years, why should we expect things to be different just because there's a new GM and owner?

Avatar
#92 Sandra
July 28 2009, 04:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Curious wrote:

@ Sandra: Seriously you are comparing Kevin Lowe’s management to Garth Snow? Sure looking back I am sure Lowe woudl have done some things different, but what GM in the league doesnt have a Horcoff contract? I would take Lowe over Snow any day. At least we had a competitive team here. The Isles have nothing.

The Oilers have been competitive? what team have you been watching? Do you see Snow Begging, or hanging on to friends as coaches for 8+ years. You can add Pisani Moreau, Souray Nillson,and Penner's contracts to that. Or not signing Glencross because he was begging Hossa, What did Hossa sign for? How about the Khabby contract. this is all Lowe, we are screwed for the next 7 years when the cap goes down and down. I would take Snow any day, at least he has class and logic, what Lowe lacks.

Avatar
#93 swany
July 28 2009, 05:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Sandra wrote:

How about the Khabby contract. this is all Lowe, we are screwed for the next 7 years when the cap

That was Tambo who signed Khabbi, also look at the Sharks they can't even get a whole roster together unless they trade away a guy for nothing, Philly is up against the cap also what have they won, Calgary couldn't even dress a full roster at the end of last year, and I suspect the cap will fall for one year and then raise again.

Avatar
#94 Robin Brownlee
July 28 2009, 06:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ swany: Pointing out teams with worse cap problems than the Oilers is pretty faint praise. No?

Avatar
#95 d.visscher
July 28 2009, 06:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I totally agree with you, you hit the nail on the head@ niinimaa44:

Avatar
#96 Ogden Brother
July 28 2009, 06:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Sandra wrote:

Curious wrote: @ Sandra: Seriously you are comparing Kevin Lowe’s management to Garth Snow? Sure looking back I am sure Lowe woudl have done some things different, but what GM in the league doesnt have a Horcoff contract? I would take Lowe over Snow any day. At least we had a competitive team here. The Isles have nothing. The Oilers have been competitive? what team have you been watching? Do you see Snow Begging, or hanging on to friends as coaches for 8+ years. You can add Pisani Moreau, Souray Nillson,and Penner’s contracts to that. Or not signing Glencross because he was begging Hossa, What did Hossa sign for? How about the Khabby contract. this is all Lowe, we are screwed for the next 7 years when the cap goes down and down. I would take Snow any day, at least he has class and logic, what Lowe lacks.

Haha - Quite the personal vendetta against Lowe. I'm pretty sure the cap isn't going down perpetually and tha Tambs made a few of those deals.

Lowe overpays and now Tambs overpays, hmmmmmm why could that be????

Maybe because they have to, to get/keep players.

Avatar
#97 Ogden Brother
July 28 2009, 06:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

MrOiler wrote:

Call me an optimist. Yeah, I wanted more change/grit. But … The Oilers finished 7 points (85 pts) out of 6th place (92 points). That was with a feable 3-8 finish in the last 11 games. On a whole, most of the team under-achieved this year (with the exception of Roloson and Souray). There’s almost a whole team with something to prove (many of them maturing) and one of the most qualified coaching staffs in the league. We also have 7 months until the March 2010 trade deadline - pieces have been known to change from time to time in pro sports. Edmonton fans are manic depressives - last year we’re winning the division and this year we’re missing the playoffs … with the same team. Put me down for the 2010 playoffs in Edmonton.

Bingo

Avatar
#98 Sandra
July 28 2009, 06:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Ogden Brother wrote:

Sandra wrote: Curious wrote: @ Sandra: Seriously you are comparing Kevin Lowe’s management to Garth Snow? Sure looking back I am sure Lowe woudl have done some things different, but what GM in the league doesnt have a Horcoff contract? I would take Lowe over Snow any day. At least we had a competitive team here. The Isles have nothing. The Oilers have been competitive? what team have you been watching? Do you see Snow Begging, or hanging on to friends as coaches for 8+ years. You can add Pisani Moreau, Souray Nillson,and Penner’s contracts to that. Or not signing Glencross because he was begging Hossa, What did Hossa sign for? How about the Khabby contract. this is all Lowe, we are screwed for the next 7 years when the cap goes down and down. I would take Snow any day, at least he has class and logic, what Lowe lacks. Haha - Quite the personal vendetta against Lowe. I’m pretty sure the cap isn’t going down perpetually and tha Tambs made a few of those deals. Lowe overpays and now Tambs overpays, hmmmmmm why could that be???? Maybe because they have to, to get/keep players.

and why is that? Does Lowe/MacT combo have anything to do with that?

Avatar
#99 Ogden Brother
July 28 2009, 08:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Sandra wrote:

Ogden Brother wrote: Sandra wrote: Curious wrote: @ Sandra: Seriously you are comparing Kevin Lowe’s management to Garth Snow? Sure looking back I am sure Lowe woudl have done some things different, but what GM in the league doesnt have a Horcoff contract? I would take Lowe over Snow any day. At least we had a competitive team here. The Isles have nothing. The Oilers have been competitive? what team have you been watching? Do you see Snow Begging, or hanging on to friends as coaches for 8+ years. You can add Pisani Moreau, Souray Nillson,and Penner’s contracts to that. Or not signing Glencross because he was begging Hossa, What did Hossa sign for? How about the Khabby contract. this is all Lowe, we are screwed for the next 7 years when the cap goes down and down. I would take Snow any day, at least he has class and logic, what Lowe lacks. Haha - Quite the personal vendetta against Lowe. I’m pretty sure the cap isn’t going down perpetually and tha Tambs made a few of those deals. Lowe overpays and now Tambs overpays, hmmmmmm why could that be???? Maybe because they have to, to get/keep players. and why is that? Does Lowe/MacT combo have anything to do with that?

I doubt it.

Avatar
#100 Sandra
July 29 2009, 08:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Ogden Brother: so your saying it's the City then.

Comments are closed for this article.