Oilers Hire Frederic Chabot As Goaltending Coach

Jonathan Willis
July 06 2009 11:24AM

chab

As per Dan Tencer, the Edmonton Oilers have made Frederic Chabot their new goaltending coach.

Chabot had an interesting professional career.  New Jersey drafted him in the tenth round of the 1986 draft, and Montreal signed him away a few years later.  This was only the first of many moves for the longtime minor-league netminder, who played for sixteen different teams over eighteen seasons after he was drafted.  He saw some NHL action with Montreal, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles before winding up his career in Germany.

Chabot's minor-league career was pretty exceptional - he was twice the IHL MVP and once the best goaltender in the AHL, and it seems a shame that he never managed more than a dozen games in an NHL season.

Chabot becomes a little harder to track after retiring in 2004, but he comes to the Oilers from Hockey Canada, where he's been working as a goaltending consultant.  He'll be familiar with almost all of the current crop of young Canadian goaltenders, and he's coached Oilers' draft pick Olivier Roy at Hockey Canada camps before.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#1 olderthendirt
July 06 2009, 07:01PM

I believe Ottawa needs to dump salary now.

#2 Ogden Brother
July 06 2009, 08:59PM

Jenga wrote:

Watching Murray twist does give one a different perspective on KLowes dealing with Pronger. Turns out that trading a very expensive malcontent is not as easy as it would seem.

Relieved to see others are finally starting to realize this.

#3 Kyle
July 06 2009, 11:26AM

does this guy have a good reputation at pumping out solid goaltenders of not really as of yet?

#4 ScubaSteve
July 06 2009, 11:28AM

Interesting note on one of his awards:

#5 Souby
July 06 2009, 11:29AM

Who?

#6 Ogden Brother
July 06 2009, 11:32AM

ScubaSteve wrote:

#7 Victoria
July 06 2009, 11:36AM

Does he have magical healing powers for when 'Bulin gets injured?

#8 ScubaSteve
July 06 2009, 11:43AM

Ogden Brother wrote:

Really hoping you forgot to use the ~ for sarcasm, Khabby would've been on another team, they would've been competing for the award.

#9 Ogden Brother
July 06 2009, 11:47AM

ScubaSteve wrote:

;)

#10 Teufel
July 06 2009, 11:47AM

He has a website that has some info on his coaching/playing career. Pretty ugly site, hasn't been updated in more than a year though; http://www.lesarretscles.com/en/default.asp

Says he was the goaltending coach for AIK in the Swedish league and Linz in Austria. He's also coached with François Allaire who is pretty much a legend in the sport (he mentored Patrick Roy and Jean-Sébastien Giguère, among others).

#11 Antony Ta
July 06 2009, 11:47AM

At least it's someone I've heard of.

#12 Jonathan Willis
July 06 2009, 11:49AM

@ ScubaSteve:

Yep, I saw that too. They were on different teams.

#13 myteammytown
July 06 2009, 11:49AM

Victoria wrote:

Does he have magical healing powers for when ‘Bulin gets injured?

he doesnt need to. when 'bulin gets hurt, everyone will blame MacT.

#14 The Towel Boy
July 06 2009, 11:49AM

Those who can't do...teach. Right?

#15 Ogden Brother
July 06 2009, 11:53AM

ScubaSteve wrote:

That said, I'd be willing to bet it was no coincidence that he was hired right after Bulin was signed.

#16 ScubaSteve
July 06 2009, 11:58AM

Ogden Brother wrote:

ScubaSteve wrote: Ogden Brother wrote: ScubaSteve wrote: Interesting note on one of his awards: Won the James Gatschene Memorial Trophy (MVP - IHL) (2000) (co-winner - Nikolai Khabibulin) More nepotism, and here I thought Lowe was the only one that did that kind of stuff? Really hoping you forgot to use the ~ for sarcasm, Khabby would’ve been on another team, they would’ve been competing for the award. That said, I’d be willing to bet it was no coincidence that he was hired right after Bulin was signed.

Meh, I think it's just the logical sequence of events, you sign a goalie, then go get a goalie coach, regardless of which goalie you sign. I would think this has more to do w/ Quinn & Renney's ties to Hockey Canada.

#17 ScubaSteve
July 06 2009, 12:00PM

Oh, and Tambo's ties to Hockey Canada too.

#18 Jonathan Willis
July 06 2009, 12:06PM

ScubaSteve wrote:

Oh, and Tambo’s ties to Hockey Canada too.

I think we have a winner here. This is the Hockey Canada network in play; not that it's neccessarily a bad thing.

#19 Archaeologuy
July 06 2009, 12:17PM

Peters was more familiar with the Stand Up style, is this guy better with Butterfly?

#20 Word
July 06 2009, 12:25PM

I'm still trying to figure out whether or not you were joking when you said that Chabot was hired because he co-won an award 9 years ago with Khabi while they were on different teams...

#21 Jonathan Willis
July 06 2009, 12:29PM

@ Archaeologuy:

He's linked with Allaire, and he's from Quebec ;)

In short: yes.

#22 Archaeologuy
July 06 2009, 12:34PM

@ Jonathan Willis:

thanks

#23 RobInALab
July 06 2009, 01:06PM

Ogden Brother wrote:

I think you mean Cronyism. Nepotism involves Calgary, err I mean family, whereas Cronyism involves friends.

As far as the Cronyism goes, some of you old timers might be able to comment better than I can, but has the league changed over the years in regard to coaches and GM's moving from team to team? Are we quickly moving towards a time when you can play a game of '3 degrees of separation' for new hires as opposed to '6 degrees of separation' twenty years ago?

#24 PaperDesigner
July 06 2009, 01:10PM

I don't know how you judge the quality of a goalie judge hiring. Do any of us really know how good Pete Peters really was? How much of the success, or how much of the failures, of various Oiler goaltenders do we attribute to him? The answer is... there's very little way to tell.

I think we can only look at the resume, and determine whether or not the hiring is completely insane or not. A man that had a long pro playing career, and experience working for hockey Canada, is not an insane hiring. Whether or not he'll do a good job though... I haven't the slightest idea. And I don't think any of us will know. Unlike regular coaching, we aren't going to be able to spot the cause and effect relationship between the coaching tactics employed and the actual performance.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... nothing to get excited about. It's a position that needed to be filled, but we're not really going to ever know how good this man is at his job.

#25 cm
July 06 2009, 01:11PM

Van signed raycroft.

here's hoping we get to play andrew and not roberto a couple times next year.

#26 Victoria
July 06 2009, 01:22PM

PaperDesigner wrote:

I don’t know how you judge the quality of a goalie judge hiring. Do any of us really know how good Pete Peters really was? How much of the success, or how much of the failures, of various Oiler goaltenders do we attribute to him? The answer is… there’s very little way to tell. I think we can only look at the resume, and determine whether or not the hiring is completely insane or not. A man that had a long pro playing career, and experience working for hockey Canada, is not an insane hiring. Whether or not he’ll do a good job though… I haven’t the slightest idea. And I don’t think any of us will know. Unlike regular coaching, we aren’t going to be able to spot the cause and effect relationship between the coaching tactics employed and the actual performance. I guess what I’m trying to say is… nothing to get excited about. It’s a position that needed to be filled, but we’re not really going to ever know how good this man is at his job.

#27 RobInALab
July 06 2009, 01:27PM

PaperDesigner wrote:

As long as the guy has never coached Turco in his life. Nothing I hate more than a goalie who thinks he's an untouchable puck moving defensemen.

#28 Archaeologuy
July 06 2009, 01:48PM

Totally unrelated, but Sportsnet is saying that Beauchemin is a Leaf. I hate Burke, but he is building a really tough defense to play against.

Now all he needs to do is find some forwards and a goalie ;)

#29 Prop Jay
July 06 2009, 01:50PM

@ Archaeologuy: Fan 960 says kovalev is a sen

heatley

#30 Jonathan Willis
July 06 2009, 01:54PM

As for Pete Peeters, I think we've got enough of a track record to make some guesses. Here's a look at goaltenders drafted by the Oilers during his eight-season tenure:

Jussi Markkanen - 133rd overall, 2001 Jeff Deslauriers - 31st overall, 2002 Glenn Fisher - 148th overall, 2002 Devan Dubnyk - 14th overall, 2004 Bjorn Bjurling - 274th overall, 2004 Bryan Pitton - 133rd overall, 2006

The Oilers invested two high picks in goaltenders who have proven unable to run up gaudy totals in the AHL, and two bottom picks who have turned into ECHL goaltenders.

The only player who has really done much to speak of is Jussi Markkanen, who was already an SEL veteran when he was drafted.

Outside of that, the Oilers goaltenders during Peeters tenure (with the sole exception being Dwayne Roloson, who is older than Earth) have not exactly followed an upward curve (Salo, Conklin, Garon).

We can't say with certainty how much Peeters has been to blame for the goaltending collapses/lack of development in the Oilers goaltending ranks, but he hasn't built a track record to be proud of. Keep in mind too that Peeters also helped scout the Oilers goaltender picks during his time with the club.

So we can't be certain. But we can make an educated guess that Peeters was a part of the problem.

As for Chabot, he's a question mark at this point, but he seems to have a decent resume.

#31 Oil-man-Dan
July 06 2009, 01:58PM

What's Kovie's contract worth? What's this do to available cap on the Sen's roster? What does this mean for the trade? How long is too long to wear the same underwear? Somebody please answer these questions before the rash on my ass gets any worse!

#32 Garett
July 06 2009, 01:59PM

Does the signing of Kovalev in Ottawa mean that Heatley could be dealt soon? Not sure what Ottawa's cap # is looking like, here is to hoping this trade finally goes down!

#33 I'm a Scientist!
July 06 2009, 02:00PM

*Yawn*

Wow, after the Heatly thing, this sure is boring news. At least Pete Peeters had a fun name.

*returns to the Lab to continue saving the world through Science*

#34 ronaldo
July 06 2009, 02:03PM

@ Archaeologuy That's like having the girlfriend move in before the wife moves out. Hahaha- nice work murray.

#35 Ogden Brother
July 06 2009, 02:06PM

Garett wrote:

Does the signing of Kovalev in Ottawa mean that Heatley could be dealt soon? Not sure what Ottawa’s cap # is looking like, here is to hoping this trade finally goes down!

They only had a couple million in room left, must mean Heatly has been delt.

#36 I'm a Scientist!
July 06 2009, 02:07PM

@ Ogden Brother: Yeah, he was dealt... he was dealt on June 30th at about 9:59 PM MST. But we all know what happened then.

#37 Archaeologuy
July 06 2009, 02:09PM

@ Oil-man-Dan: Its a 2 year deal according to TSN, no $ terms released as of yet, I dont know what this means for the Sens Cap, obviously they dont plan on re-signing Comrie, you should change your underwear every 15 minutes or as your doctor recommends.

#38 ronaldo
July 06 2009, 02:10PM

@ I'm A Scientist! After saving the world, mind helping Oil-man-Dan out with his rash. Your welcome Dan.

#39 Archaeologuy
July 06 2009, 02:12PM

@ ronaldo:

you dont have to type "@ _____" if you use the reply button on the bottom right of every comment. I'm just assuming you didnt already know that.

#40 Ogden Brother
July 06 2009, 02:12PM

I'm a Scientist! wrote:

@ Ogden Brother: Yeah, he was dealt… he was dealt on June 30th at about 9:59 PM MST. But we all know what happened then.

Well they have to deal Heatly or someone else with a decent sized contract before the start of the season.

#41 Archaeologuy
July 06 2009, 02:14PM

@ Ogden Brother: or place them in the minors. Heatley will be the best player in the AHL for sure.

#42 Oil-man-Dan
July 06 2009, 02:17PM

@ Archaeologuy: I wasn't aware of the 15 minute rule, let's see here, just crunch the numbers on the ol' arithmadditionulator gizmo... I'm only 4312 minutes late.

#43 ronaldo
July 06 2009, 02:17PM

@ Arachaeologuy I know that, but when I'm on my blackberry, it won't allow me to use that feature (can't quote either)- not sure why. Trust me, it's annoying as hell to type in @______ each time and I'd love for anyone to tell me why this is so..........anyone?

#44 Oil-man-Dan
July 06 2009, 02:19PM

ronaldo wrote:

I know that, but when I’m on my blackberry, it won’t allow me to use that feature (can’t quote either)- not sure why. Trust me, it’s annoying as hell to type in @______ each time and I’d love for anyone to tell me why this is so……….anyone?

Personally, I blame MacT.

#45 Archaeologuy
July 06 2009, 02:20PM

@ ronaldo: I didnt know Blackberries had that issue. I apologize for my Name being longish and odd. I also respond to Archy.

#46 Jonathan Willis
July 06 2009, 02:23PM

Oil-man-Dan wrote:

Personally, I blame MacT.

As do we all.

#47 I'm a Scientist!
July 06 2009, 02:28PM

@ Oil-man-Dan: Where is he anyway? I miss his glasses.

#48 ronaldo
July 06 2009, 02:28PM

@ Archy Thanks. Much easier. @ Oil-man-Dan I thought MacT had something to do with it. He might be the cause of that rash too. Also heard he may have been consulting at GM the past few years

#49 Oil-man-Dan
July 06 2009, 02:39PM

ronaldo wrote:

Cant speak to the GM rumors, as for the rash... ewww.

#50 ScubaSteve
July 06 2009, 02:51PM

The score is reporting Kovie to the sens for 10 mil over 2 years. That must put them over, or very close to the cap.

Pretty clear message to Dany boy, that he won't be playing on the sens next year