Wherefore art thou, Dany Boy?

Robin Brownlee
August 22 2009 08:57AM

heatley-done

Well Dany Heatley certainly shed plenty of light on his reasons for not wanting to become an Edmonton Oiler when he finally addressed the media Friday, didn't he?

Did you expect anything different from Dour Dany, really? Did you expect clarity? Closure? The straight goods?

Do you feel better now that he graced us with his reasons for stiffing the Ottawa Senators and the Oilers with his trade demand and subsequent refusal to waive his no movement clause after Steve Tambellini put together a package of Dustin Penner, Andrew Cogliano and Ladislav Smid for the right to pay him $7.5 million a season?

To hear Heatley tell it, his tale of woe and mistreatment comes down to feeling his role has been "diminished" in Ottawa. His limbo is a hardship that can only be remedied by having "options" when it comes to picking a new team to play for, as long as that option isn’t the Oilers.

Isn't that about it?

What he said and what he meant

By now, we all know what Heatley said. Now, you can take it at face value or you can read between the lines. I'm going to take a swing at the latter, using my Spin Translation Tool, some software I got over the internet from the same company where I purchased a great set of steak knives.

WHAT HE SAID: "There's nothing with Edmonton personally, I just think when we asked for a trade we wanted to go about it together and we wanted some options and to this date there has only one option.

"At the time the only option was Edmonton and I wasn't ready to make a decision at that time and I'm still not ready to make a decision until there are other options."

WHAT HE MEANT: "Edmonton isn't an option. Look, boys, I'm no fool. I'm from Calgary. I know all about Alberta winters. Why should I freeze my lily white ass when I can play in San Jose or Los Angeles or Anaheim? You ever tried golfing in Edmonton the second week of April?

WHAT HE SAID: "I don't feel I can make the right decision until there are a few options. (The Oilers) were not on my initial list of teams I gave the Senators to talk to. When that trade came up it came as a big surprise and I wasn't ready at that time nor am I now to make that decision."

WHAT HE MEANT: "Look, man, I'm Dany F*cking Heatley. Are you trying to tell me there aren't six, seven or maybe eight teams out there dying to shove a stack of money my way? C'mon, Bryan, I'm calling BS on that one. I gave you a list of 28 teams. Edmonton was the only team NOT on that list. They've missed the playoffs, like, 13 years in a row."

WHAT HE SAID: "It's definitely not Cory solely. I think the main reason for me is when I signed in Ottawa two years ago I thought it was to be an integral part of the team over the last two years I feel my role has diminished and especially this past season it diminished a lot more. A diminished role is the biggest thing. I feel I'm a player who can play in a lot of different situations. I'm an offensive guy but I take pride in all aspects of the game and I don't feel I was given that role on the team."

WHAT HE MEANT: "Clouston's an asshole for expecting me to play within a team concept. Do this, Dany. Do that. Check. WTF? Who is this spank-off, anyway? This guy waltzes in, turns the team around and just expects me to become his yes-man? How much money does Clouston have in the bank? How many times has he scored 50 goals? As many times as Pat Quinn and Tom Renney, that's how many."

WHAT HE SAID: "I have a contract and I'm going to honour that contract. If I'm still a Senator at training camp time I'll be there ready to go. I'm a hockey player and I'll play to the best of my ability wherever I am. At the same time, we know there are other teams interested and hopefully something can get done."

WHAT HE MEANT: I don't give a pinch of stool if my presence at training camp causes the Senators a problem or a distraction. Like I'm going to do anything to void my contract and kiss off $7.5 million. Think again."

WHAT HE SAID: "I think anyone that has played with me knows I'm a team guy. The way this has gone this summer has been unfortunate, but as far as my reputation, anyone I have ever played with or played for has thought of me as a good teammate."

WHAT HE MEANT: So I'm an self-centred jerk with an inflated sense of entitlement, there’s a news bulletin. Stop the presses, you know what I'm saying? Look, even if I'm a dick, I'll get you 40 goals. That's all that matters, right?

Tambellini and Kevin Lowe know that. Otherwise they wouldn’t have come sniffing around, puckering up and saying pretty please. Like I'm going play with Shane Horcoff and Alex Hemsky. Screw that. I'm Dany F*cking Heatley."

-- Listen to Robin Brownlee every Thursday from 4 to 6 p.m. on Just A Game with Jason Gregor on Team 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
A sports writer since 1983, including stints at The Edmonton Journal and The Sun 1989-2007, I happily co-host the Jason Gregor Show on TSN 1260 twice a week and write when so inclined. Have the best damn lawn on the internet. Most important, I am Sam's dad. Follow me on Twitter at Robin_Brownlee. Or don't.
Avatar
#101 lickety split
August 23 2009, 01:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

The obvious do-over list for Kevin Lowe:

Drafting Ales Hemsky Trading Eric Brewer for two years of the human rake plus 4 first round picks Landing Michael Peca for basically nothing Signing Dwayne Roloson Drafting cogliano getting grebshkov for the guy who ruined what would have likely been a sixth cup drafting sam gagner overseeing the acquisition of TWO of the most experienced coaches in hockey Landing one ring bearing goalie with two young potential starters in tow.

Kevin lowe clearly better go soon. The same robust minds burning whyte ave a mere three years ago will likely next be burning his furniture.

Avatar
#102 Harlie
August 23 2009, 01:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Joey Moss:

nah man the TSN comment thing blows. I like ON the way it is. F changing because of a couple of asshats.

Avatar
#103 Chris.
August 23 2009, 01:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ lickety split:

I was a big supporter of Lowe through the pre-lockout years. (Not that my support is worth two lickety spits.) Lowe did his best to keep the team semi-competative through some pretty trying times and I think he did an okay job all things considered. That said; there is a very real difference between keeping a hockey team afloat and actually building a winner.

Coming into the new CBA, the Oilers cashed in on the dispersal of talent by aquiring Pronger and Peca. When things didn't work out there was this myth disseminated to the masses that Pronger had somehow screwed up the Oilers "five year plan".

Let's face it, the "five year plan" consisted of one element only: we have Pronger signed for FIVE YEARS!

Great plan.

Since THAT great plan fell through I defy anyone to explain to me how anything Lowe has done has made any sense from a longterm planning perspective.

Avatar
#104 vern
August 23 2009, 02:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Chris.: Signing hemsky longterm The drafting has been much better Tambo and lowe brining in Quinn and Renny Stockpiling young puckmoving D-Men Though many bad moves have been made, not every move has been terrible

Avatar
#105 jeanshorts
August 23 2009, 02:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Batman34:

I don't want to be adding more fuel to this fire per say, but I find it weird that no one has mentioned that this entire "debate" and or pissing match has stemmed from one tongue and cheek comment. Did you even read the article? It's satire guy. Did you think the second set of quotes were actually FROM Heatley? And the only anti-Edmonton comment that is made is about it being cold. OH MY GOD THAT'S SOME GROUND BREAKING STUFF! No one has ever thought of that before! The fact that you took this lame joke(no offense Brownlee) as some kind of literal jab at Edmonton is more hilarious then your craptacular spelling and shitanusly horrible grasp on English in general.

God dammit, is the season about to start yet or what? People are going to start hanging themselves with their tube socks.

Avatar
#106 jeanshorts
August 23 2009, 02:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ vern:

I had to go back and read it a couple times, but I think he was being sarcastic. If he's not then he's the biggest gomer on here.

Avatar
#107 Chris.
August 23 2009, 02:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ vern:

If they are rebuilding... why the rich contracts to Souray, and Horcoff? Why aquire Lubo? Why go after Heatley? Why jeopradize your ability to resign Gagner, Cogliano, and others by paying huge dollars to guys in the back half of thier careers?

If they are "going for it" why give important minutes to inexperinced young guys who aren't ready for that level of responsbility?

I'm not saying that EVERYTHING Lowe has done is crap. I'm saying the Oilers seem to lack a clear strategy moving forward. There are a lot of contridictions.

Avatar
#108 lickety split
August 23 2009, 02:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Chris

Building a winner...you mean like in 2006? Or is he the goat because the goalie went down in game 1? Statistically every team should be in the SCF 1/15 years, Edmonton has been 7/30 including 1/5 post lock out. Could be better I suppose.

Since then he assembled a crew of 15? first round picks, changing 2/3's of the roster, and if you exclude the oldest and youngest player on each team, then 2007 they were the youngest team in hockey.

However. People of Edmonton freaked right out because a few players didn't want to come to a rebuilding team and instead he was forced by his boss to sign anyone he could (souray, penner), then he quit his job because he didn't want any of the free agents he just signed because he knew he couldn't then pull a pittsburgh/ washington and land taylor f'ing hall and they weren't going to win.

Thus tambo gets a team mired in mediocrity with a troubled locker room yet sees potential in a team that beat SJ in the sharktank and detroit in the joe, lands the best braintrust in hockey and doesn't change what showed occasional signs of real brilliance save adding a goalie with at least a few more good years.

Avatar
#109 vern
August 23 2009, 02:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Chris.: Though i can not presume to know the exact stratagy of the oilers brain trust. My best guess is they are trying to ice a competative team while developing the players of the future.(Cogs, Gagner, MPS, Grebs, Pecam, and so on) Vetrans are needed to help develop young talent. When Horcoff was given his contract he was almost a point a game young 2-Way center. His production has been slowed by injury, but still contributes in other areas. Lowe has stepped aside in favor of Tambo. They have brought in elite coaching. They have signed vetran AHLers to help the team and develope players at that level. The last few drafts they have drafted fairly well. I'm not saying mistakes were not made, however they are still building for the future. It could always be worse. ( see Florda )

Avatar
#110 Dallas
August 23 2009, 02:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Robin Brownlee: I take offence to that,my comment was in the last 20 and it was oilers relate.

Avatar
#111 Chris.
August 23 2009, 03:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ lickety split:

In 2007 Lowe moved Pronger for Lupul and Smid. He signed Sykora and told Oiler fans that he had the "the best young core of forwards in the league"

Fans nervous about the inexperinced backend were told by the spin machine that we were going to score so many goals our defensive shortcommings would be irrelevent.

When the season was a disaster, Smyth was dumped and the rebuild was on. Right. ~Rebuilding teams always throw huge dollars at guys like Nylander. Rebuilding teams always throw away draft picks in an RFA raid.~

Now the Oilers head into another campaign. However, now, only a few years later, its the DEFENCE that is the "strenght of our team". The pendulum has swung the other way. The team still lacks balance. The spin machine, naturally, is telling nervous fans that Quinn and Renny will be the difference... ~Pouliot will be the next Phalsson under Quinn don'y you know...~

The simple fact remains: Oilers management hasn't iced an upper echelon team in nearly twenty years because they never commit to a clear development plan. This team didn't even have an AHL affiliate a few years back for crying out loud! It's up to Kevin's mom and wife to focus on the few positives during the Lowe reign of mediocrity: not us. The fans deserve more. Many people who post here were in diapers last time the Oilers hosted a home playoff game. EVERY single team in our division has had a 100pt season in the last five or six seasons; a feat not accomplished by the Oilers since the eighties.

Avatar
#112 Chris.
August 23 2009, 03:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

vern wrote:

My best guess is they are trying to ice a competative team while developing the players of the future

...and they have failed. The Oilers have one of the most expensive rosters in the league... and have just finished drafting in the top ten.

If Lowe had committed to a total rebuild in 2007, the Oilers would have the cap room to actually improve this season. For three straight years, instead of taking a more measured approach: all they do is chase big fish. Why did I have to watch Cogliano and Smid struggle the past number of seasons (or as you say, "develop") only to see them offered up for Heatley? (Along with Penner for whom we sacrificed a great pick)...

The fact is, Lowe never really attempted to develop this team from the draft. If he was building from within why the Lubo trade? Why did Oilers management, under lowe, do so little to address the very serious problems in Springfield?

They are trying to win now. Fine. I get it. But they aren't doing a very good job.

Avatar
#113 oilersseasonticketholdersince99
August 23 2009, 04:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Chris.: You bring up alot of good points,The Oilers organization has dug it self a huge hole and it will take years to clean up the mess Lowe and the gang have created.Keeping Mactavish around till the end of the year did not help either,Quinn should have been here right after the world juniors, yet we waited till the end of the year and pissed away another year,after hearing Tambalinis press conference at the end of the season I had some hope,but it was all Bull S*it,the Oilers keep feeding us fans and we keep taking it, They have sold out their season tickets for this coming year and also the mini packs, seems to me us fans are the idiots, me included cause no mater how bad they do we keep supporting the team.

Avatar
#114 Chris.
August 23 2009, 04:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ oilersseasonticketholdersince99:

I have hope for Tambellini. a) He seems committed to letting young guys hone their skills in the minors. b)He seems committed to improving the situation in Springfield... Creating a winning environment there, will also compliment point a. c) He seems committed to freeing up cap/contract space. d) He hires people with qualifications that go beyond alumnai affiliation.

On a long enough time line, the Oilers might actually improve under his guidance...

Avatar
#115 oilersseasonticketholdersince99
August 23 2009, 05:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Chris.: Lets hope the Oilers give Tambalini as much time to clean up Lowe's mess as Lowe had to create it.

Avatar
#116 vern
August 23 2009, 05:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Chris.: All valid points you've made. However, Tambo has only had one season to work on fixing the problems. He was left in a very tough possition. Moves are a lot harder to make with the cap and finatial situation of a few teams. The new coaches haven't had a single practice yet. I'm giving them a little time before I would say they are doing a bad job. Many mistakes have been made by people who have been fired or reassigned within the organization. In the past few seasons the coaches of both the Oilers and Falcons have been changed, the scouting staff has been changed, the GM is new, and even the owner is new. The new brain trust has started to make changes to better the on ice product. From drafting to player changes in the minors. There is still much work to do. These things take time. I do agree that the management of past years has made mistakes, many mistakes. They did make a few good moves too. However, the new management has started to make the nessasary changes. So to blame them for mistakes of the past is not fair to them.

Avatar
#117 Robin Brownlee
August 23 2009, 05:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

oilersseasonticketholdersince99 wrote:

@ Chris.: Lets hope the Oilers give Tambalini as much time to clean up Lowe’s mess as Lowe had to create it.

I agree Tambellini is going to need time to clean up a mess he didn't create, but are you saying he should get eight years to do it? Doesn't that fly in the face of the kind of accountability people wanted Lowe held to?

Avatar
#118 vern
August 23 2009, 05:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Robin Brownlee: Agreed. My best guess is 2-3 years till we start to see a real improvement. Thats when a few of the bad contracts will be off the books. So far Tambos contract signings have been reasonable

Avatar
#119 oilersseasonticketholdersince99
August 23 2009, 05:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Robin Brownlee: I think the team needs to give Tambalini at least 3-4 years to be fair to him and for the organization to see what he can do.Hiring Quinn and Renney was a good start I for one give him credit for not throwing his hands up in the air and quiting,from the outside looking in, he was really handed a bad situation.

Avatar
#120 Milli
August 23 2009, 05:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I think everyone piling on Klo is a little much. Mistakes, ya, he made a few. He also made a few real good moves let's not forget. I also wonder how tolerent a canadian city, especially Etown would be to a 3-5 year full on re-build? I think if we have a hard look at our roster, it ain't that bad, and last summer (when we where wining the division and then the cup) it wasn't that good. I am totally interested to see what a new coaching staff will bring. I also think Tambo has a solid plan, it will take him a couple of seasons, but I like what he has said. Bigger, stronger, tougher to play against, a team with an identity, which, by the end of last season, we where without. I'm not looking to start a war here, but just wondering...When that little pr1ck dany heatley says he felt he needed a bigger role, that his had diminished, how does that compare to Hemmer saying (I can't remember his exact words) about taking on a larger role, and then all but disappearing down the stretch? I am all for hemmer having a huge role, just curious?

Avatar
#121 Ogden Brother
August 23 2009, 06:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

oilersseasonticketholdersince99 wrote:

@ Robin Brownlee: I think the team needs to give Tambalini at least 3-4 years to be fair to him and for the organization to see what he can do.Hiring Quinn and Renney was a good start I for one give him credit for not throwing his hands up in the air and quiting,from the outside looking in, he was really handed a bad situation.

You thought this team had a really good shot at the division last year, didn't you?

Avatar
#122 Park Oil
August 23 2009, 06:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Really interesting theory on Heatley here:

http://anothersensblog.blogspot.com/2009/08/my-updated-heatley-theory-check-this.html

It certainly seems plausible considering how everything's unfolded.

Avatar
#123 oilersseasonticketholdersince99
August 23 2009, 07:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Ogden Brother I did not say that we would qualify for the division title,That was the Oilers and Mac t not me.

Avatar
#124 Robin Brownlee
August 23 2009, 07:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Park Oil wrote:

Really interesting theory on Heatley here: http://anothersensblog.blogspot.com/2009/08/my-updated-heatley-theory-check-this.html It certainly seems plausible considering how everything’s unfolded.

Don't buy it. Heatley was going to get his money from somebody in the days before the economy tanked and the cap shrank. By taking the route the writer suggests, Heatley was accomplishing nothing except precluding some team -- like the Oilers did with Souray -- from stepping up with a big overpay offer. He's not hurting for money, but no way he'd walk away from the chance to have one team step forward and offer an extra $5-7 million over the term of a contract.

Avatar
#125 lickety split
August 23 2009, 08:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Brownlee -

Are you saying someone was possibly considering to spend $8.5M on Heatley? If so that would have been the biggest contract in hockey at the time, or nearly anyway. One knee injury between the Ottawa offer and July 1 could also cut the 7.5 in half (see kariya, paul). its totally likely that his agent said, "Get it while you can" and your boy listened.

Like the beautiful blonde at the mall, Heatley got that hockey playing way by not wasting time on educating his self. I don't think you can expect him to surmise fiscal strategy more than one move in advance. That a 24 year old kid maybe listened to his agent's sales job isn't so hard for me to believe, especially one that looks so nervous during every single presser he's ever had.

Or did I miss what you're getting at?

Avatar
#126 Robin Brownlee
August 23 2009, 09:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ lickety split: Briere, Gomez and Vanek (thanks to Edmonton's offer sheet) all got $10 million for 2007-08. Any doubt Heatley could have got as much as a UFA?

By the way, Heatley's cap hit is $7.5, but he's making $10 million in 09-10 before his salary drops later in the final years of the contract. My point is he left money on the table if he did what the writer is suggesting. There is no gain to do what the author suggests he might have done. Not impossible, but not likely.

Avatar
#127 Pouzar
August 23 2009, 10:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Robin Brownlee wrote:

@ lickety split: Briere, Gomez and Vanek (thanks to Edmonton’s offer sheet) all got $10 million for 2007-08. Any doubt Heatley could have got as much as a UFA? By the way, Heatley’s cap hit is $7.5, but he’s making $10 million in 09-10 before his salary drops later in the final years of the contract. My point is he left money on the table if he did what the writer is suggesting. There is no gain to do what the author suggests he might have done. Not impossible, but not likely.

According to NHL numbers it says Heatley is due to make 8 million in actual salary (4 of which he has already received), but maybe I am probably wrong. Anyways, I agree RB the theory seems offbase. What Heatley is doing now is the same thing he has done his entire pro career - get out of contracts. He did it in Atlanta, he did it during the lockout when he left a club in the SEL to go to Omsk, and he's doing it now. It's hilarious that he thinks teams are begging for his services. He would likely pull the same stunt on them.

Avatar
#128 lickety split
August 23 2009, 10:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Briere Gomez and Vanek all signed after Heatley signed with Ottawa, I think, and at least one of us was totally surprised with every one of those contracts that summer. I don't think anyone was anticipating any of those happenings when Heatley signed in Ottawa, actually I remember one time laughing at Calgary for having Iggy at 7.

If heater was then considering to seek 8 - 9, I don't think there was much precedent. Actually, I think I remember that heatley was the highest paid player in hockey there for a while. To seek more? I don't know. That was a kicking deal and he could have easily been the fool to walk.

Avatar
#129 Robin Brownlee
August 23 2009, 10:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ lickety split: OK. Have it your way.

Avatar
#130 lickety split
August 24 2009, 06:39AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Okay. If I could be so lucky to have it my way, tambo would trade moreau and staois for patrick marleau then I'd move cogs penner and gilbert for Dany F*king Heatley.

Dany Heatley Shane Horcoff and Alex Hemsky Marleau Gagner Nilsson Sully MAP Fernando Storntini Brule Smack sully JFJ

Souray Vish Grebs Smid Strudwick Peckham

Bulin JDD

total cap hit: 55.2

And while its about having it my way, the whole city would relax around these guys in the grocery stores and restaurants, you Brownlee would welcome danny boy like the prodigal son and then if hemmer couldn't fit with heatley or marleau I'd dump his ass for marc savard and steve sillinger or trade em all for taylor hall and try and get in the lottery for the next five years. Then threaten to move the team to Kansas City if I didn't get a new barn to hold 27 000 with a mall and airplane strip and dancing girls and dude this could go on.

Love your stoic approach with gregor too. Great radio for the jobsite basically every time. Thanks ON. Good times all around.

Avatar
#131 Logan
August 24 2009, 10:25AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I think all you fools bashing Kevin Lowe tend to forget or ignore a few important facts to stoke your own ego and agruements:

1) This city will accept some form of mediocratry for a short time, we want success, but we will never accept a absolute failure. What this means is that the ravenous open mount breaking fools out there would tear the organization a new a-hole if it tanked for 3 years to stock up on draft picks. It worked for Pittsburg and Washington pre-draft because the organizations didn't want to spend any money and few people cared much if they did, they were on life-support until a new CBA came around. With that said though you cannot field an AHL team masquerading as a NHL team because there is a cap minimum as well, something that benefited both Washington and Pittsburg pre-CBA. Most importantly you guys ignore the fact that it would never fly here. The fanbase is too fickle to accept losers.

2) EIG needed revenue. I love the EIG for what they did, but lets not forget that they could never afford to allow the team to go "worst in the league for a rebuild" because they needed the revenue from sell-outs as well as the bonus revenue that comes from playoffs. Every year they made the playoffs the EIG breathed easier because they didn't feel the pinch in their pocketbooks. Once again we have another factor against tanking it and another factor that forced the team to stay barely competetive, squeeking into the playoffs but never in a great position to draft or build to be better, aka the 'status quo'.

3) We only have had 1 year of Batman. Ya Katz is cool, getting us to spend to the cap limit, but he and the rest of the Oil management still have to deal with clearing out all the mess from the previous ownership mandates. Even Barrack Obama hasn't turned around the USA in his first year and we expect this to be a reality post-CBA NHL with Katz's money? The truth is that you won't ever see a change till the 3rd year, its just how things happen in business.

Avatar
#132 Rocksteady
August 24 2009, 12:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Brownlee

80's climatic *slow clap*

Avatar
#133 rhino9
August 24 2009, 02:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Logan:

1. you can't be serious to think that it was the CBA that saved Pittsburg and Wasington. Crosby, Malkin and the chicken saved these franchises not the fact there was a new CBA in place.

2.Why can other teams in a similar financial issues continue to ice a playoff team year in and out. Jersey and Detroit continually make the playoffs why because they draft well. When was the last time other than 2006 when DET and NJ drafted lower than Edmonton.

3. Your kidding youself if previous owner mandates were to draft sh**ty players so we don't have to pay them big money. I would think untill the current ownership Katz realizes that the Director of Hockey opperations is still in charge of this team it will never be anything but mediocore.

Avatar
#134 Jessie Willis
August 24 2009, 02:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

That is the BEST, I mean THE BEST article I have ever read!! Good stuff!!

Avatar
#135 Chris.
August 24 2009, 03:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Logan:

I already said I gave a Lowe the benifit of the doubt pre-lockout. My beef with the man is that he never committed to one clear multi-season strategy/vision for the development of this team. This has been particularly evident by some of the conflicting moves he has made since Pronger left... IMO, Lowe flys by the seat of his pants; is ruled by emotion; and though he loves this franchise and has a strong desire to succeed: has been running the team in circles. It's a really good thing that Katz brought in Tambellini.

While I think it's fair comment that a GM needs to react to changing circumstances; he shouldn't completely abandon all long term planning. I believe with the rich contracts offered to Hossa, Nylander, the signing of Souray, and the aquisition of Lubo, Lowe thought he was assembling a team to win now. Unfortunately, by overpaying vetrans, and filling too many roster spots with AHL players: his team has been a failure. Were we developing, or contending? Lowe never fully decided... and I don't think he did a great job of either. After a long three years this current group may still not be good enough to make the playoffs. With that in mind, I think Tambellini, like many of us, was onboard with the pursuit of Heatley simply because it's going to be several years before many of the bigger vetran contracts come off the books, and maybe several more before the development system starts to pump out enough suitable NHL ready talent... We might as well be entertained while we wait.

Avatar
#136 Robin Brownlee
August 24 2009, 04:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Chris.:

On the money. Lowe always tried to fudge on the direction of the team. He never clearly committed to a complete rebuild, choosing instead to muddy the waters by signing veterans who would keep the team competitive now, but wouldn't be a part of any long-term plan. He got caught talking out of both sides of his mouth a couple of seasons ago -- at one point saying the Oilers would compete now and then using the "we're rebuilding" crutch when things were tanking. His inability to plot a clear course and stick with it, plus the bad contracts he signed as a direct result of his indecision after the Cup run of 2006, are his biggest failures as GM.

Avatar
#137 Travis Dakin
August 24 2009, 05:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Robin Brownlee wrote:

His inability to plot a clear course and stick with it, plus the bad contracts he signed as a direct result of his indecision after the Cup run of 2006, are his biggest failures as GM.

I wonder how much of that can be put on Howson as well. They were working in tandem I assume.

Avatar
#138 Robin Brownlee
August 24 2009, 05:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Travis Dakin wrote:

Robin Brownlee wrote: His inability to plot a clear course and stick with it, plus the bad contracts he signed as a direct result of his indecision after the Cup run of 2006, are his biggest failures as GM. I wonder how much of that can be put on Howson as well. They were working in tandem I assume.

Not much at all. Lowe called the shots. Howson did some negotiating -- within a framework set out for him -- and handled the paperwork and cap stuff.

Avatar
#139 Travis Dakin
August 24 2009, 06:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Robin Brownlee: well then.....

*disappears into a cloud of smoke only to be heard from again on another thread*

Avatar
#140 What a summer! - OilersNation.com
September 11 2009, 10:48AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

[...] Heatleygate pushed us through the dog days of summer. [...]

Comments are closed for this article.