Wherefore art thou, Dany Boy?

Robin Brownlee
August 22 2009 08:57AM

heatley-done

Well Dany Heatley certainly shed plenty of light on his reasons for not wanting to become an Edmonton Oiler when he finally addressed the media Friday, didn't he?

Did you expect anything different from Dour Dany, really? Did you expect clarity? Closure? The straight goods?

Do you feel better now that he graced us with his reasons for stiffing the Ottawa Senators and the Oilers with his trade demand and subsequent refusal to waive his no movement clause after Steve Tambellini put together a package of Dustin Penner, Andrew Cogliano and Ladislav Smid for the right to pay him $7.5 million a season?

To hear Heatley tell it, his tale of woe and mistreatment comes down to feeling his role has been "diminished" in Ottawa. His limbo is a hardship that can only be remedied by having "options" when it comes to picking a new team to play for, as long as that option isn’t the Oilers.

Isn't that about it?

What he said and what he meant

By now, we all know what Heatley said. Now, you can take it at face value or you can read between the lines. I'm going to take a swing at the latter, using my Spin Translation Tool, some software I got over the internet from the same company where I purchased a great set of steak knives.

WHAT HE SAID: "There's nothing with Edmonton personally, I just think when we asked for a trade we wanted to go about it together and we wanted some options and to this date there has only one option.

"At the time the only option was Edmonton and I wasn't ready to make a decision at that time and I'm still not ready to make a decision until there are other options."

WHAT HE MEANT: "Edmonton isn't an option. Look, boys, I'm no fool. I'm from Calgary. I know all about Alberta winters. Why should I freeze my lily white ass when I can play in San Jose or Los Angeles or Anaheim? You ever tried golfing in Edmonton the second week of April?

WHAT HE SAID: "I don't feel I can make the right decision until there are a few options. (The Oilers) were not on my initial list of teams I gave the Senators to talk to. When that trade came up it came as a big surprise and I wasn't ready at that time nor am I now to make that decision."

WHAT HE MEANT: "Look, man, I'm Dany F*cking Heatley. Are you trying to tell me there aren't six, seven or maybe eight teams out there dying to shove a stack of money my way? C'mon, Bryan, I'm calling BS on that one. I gave you a list of 28 teams. Edmonton was the only team NOT on that list. They've missed the playoffs, like, 13 years in a row."

WHAT HE SAID: "It's definitely not Cory solely. I think the main reason for me is when I signed in Ottawa two years ago I thought it was to be an integral part of the team over the last two years I feel my role has diminished and especially this past season it diminished a lot more. A diminished role is the biggest thing. I feel I'm a player who can play in a lot of different situations. I'm an offensive guy but I take pride in all aspects of the game and I don't feel I was given that role on the team."

WHAT HE MEANT: "Clouston's an asshole for expecting me to play within a team concept. Do this, Dany. Do that. Check. WTF? Who is this spank-off, anyway? This guy waltzes in, turns the team around and just expects me to become his yes-man? How much money does Clouston have in the bank? How many times has he scored 50 goals? As many times as Pat Quinn and Tom Renney, that's how many."

WHAT HE SAID: "I have a contract and I'm going to honour that contract. If I'm still a Senator at training camp time I'll be there ready to go. I'm a hockey player and I'll play to the best of my ability wherever I am. At the same time, we know there are other teams interested and hopefully something can get done."

WHAT HE MEANT: I don't give a pinch of stool if my presence at training camp causes the Senators a problem or a distraction. Like I'm going to do anything to void my contract and kiss off $7.5 million. Think again."

WHAT HE SAID: "I think anyone that has played with me knows I'm a team guy. The way this has gone this summer has been unfortunate, but as far as my reputation, anyone I have ever played with or played for has thought of me as a good teammate."

WHAT HE MEANT: So I'm an self-centred jerk with an inflated sense of entitlement, there’s a news bulletin. Stop the presses, you know what I'm saying? Look, even if I'm a dick, I'll get you 40 goals. That's all that matters, right?

Tambellini and Kevin Lowe know that. Otherwise they wouldn’t have come sniffing around, puckering up and saying pretty please. Like I'm going play with Shane Horcoff and Alex Hemsky. Screw that. I'm Dany F*cking Heatley."

-- Listen to Robin Brownlee every Thursday from 4 to 6 p.m. on Just A Game with Jason Gregor on Team 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#1 Chris.
August 22 2009, 09:03AM

Another great read by Robin F*cking Brownlee.

#2 Reagan
August 22 2009, 09:09AM

Nice work Robin! I had a chuckle though the whole conversation part... I'm assuming the whiner will eventually get his way. What makes me laugh is that, people still think that he is still coming here.

#3 quicksilver ballet
August 22 2009, 09:09AM

I'd still take him on this team...at the end of the day how many players actually live in the city that they play in, they're gone half the season anyways and then flee the city the next flight out after the last game.

....anyone have some anti-depressants they're willing to share?

#4 oilersinsider
August 22 2009, 09:33AM

Before I would have thought he could go back to Ottawa if he'd have to. I think even some Senators thought that based on their comments on the golf course yesterday at a charity event.

Once they see and hear these interviews and pressers, they won't want him for sure now and he's made it ten times harder to go back.

He's screwing himself over huge now. His cockiness that teams will still come forward and just magically do what they've been unable to do now amazes me. He must think Brian Murray will just crumble and take little to no value back in return.

#5 quicksilver ballet
August 22 2009, 09:39AM

It's difficult to put a finger on where things broke down and went wrong for the Oilers. Long term substandard performance at the draft? Poor Leadership? One has to wonder where we'd be today if those in the EIG (a number whom didn't want to give Lowe an extension) had their way and fired Lowes ass 5 yrs ago.

#6 Librarian Mike
August 22 2009, 09:44AM

*single tear rolls down my face*

Thanks for translating the Heatley statement, Robin.

Boy oh boy has Heatley ever painted himself into a corner. Who would have thought Yashin would end up as Public Enemy number 2 in Ottawa?

Also, great 'mouth breather' picture, Bingofuel and/or Wanye.

#7 Matt Davidson
August 22 2009, 09:44AM

I realize a lot of what I'm reading lately has to do with the current financial crisis, but your post is another story :) thank you for sharing this!

#8 oilersseasonticketholdersince99
August 22 2009, 09:51AM

I guess I better put the Oilers Heatley jersey next to the Hossa jersey at the back of my closet.

#9 Archaeologuy
August 22 2009, 10:08AM

For 7.5 million I would expect that the willingness to win would be stronger than the desire to have your name in the marquee, but that's just pie in the sky kinda talk.

#10 Wainwright Dan
August 22 2009, 10:19AM

Great read, Robin. Contrasts starkly to that weak attempt at a similiar type of article by David Staples (D-He? WTF?). Continue calling it like you see it, Robin, agree with you 100%.

#11 Westcoastoil
August 22 2009, 10:29AM

Thank god he blocked the trade. He gets his NTC clause then figures he and the GM should review the trade proposals together to see where he'd like to go, after all it doesn't really matter what Ottawa gets for him right?

If they can't trade him, can they stop him from reporting? I thought his contract plud the roster they're actually going to play with puts them over the cap. ~Maybe Murray will have to deal Kovalev to us for Schremp and Reddox~

#12 Gerald R. Ford
August 22 2009, 10:40AM

Uh, Robin, this is Stacey here. We can take, maybe TWO more comments, then Dany has another blog commitment.

Seriously, why did he even bother to take questions, when he had absolutely nothing to say? "It's not about Edmonton, except Edmonton wasn't on the list, so it IS TOTALLY about Edmonton. But, I didn't say that, so don't quote me!"

Calling that an "availability" is insulting to the intelligence of anything above the evolutionary level of seaweed. He took calls, but he was hardly "available".

What. A. Douche.

I did laugh when that one guy ended his call with "You didn't answer the question...". and his voice just trailed off into oblivion.

heh

#13 DonDon
August 22 2009, 10:46AM

Great translation! I can't believe there are Oiler posters still pining for Heatley. The options Heatley is looking for don't appear to be on the board. Most of the teams he prefers are in the advantageous bargaining position that they don't have to provide Ottawa with the trade value Ottawa expects and aren't about to absorb a $7.5 million salary hit at this time. Fact of the matter, 1) Heatley is a damaged asset and due to the changing economics of the NHL, he and his handlers may have to take a salary hit to reach his preferred options, and 2) Ottawa's trade value expectations must be reduced to offload this troublesome player. Real live theatre in real time.

#14 Librarian Mike
August 22 2009, 10:47AM

I'm sure 20c was breathing a sigh of relief after Heatley's 'press conference', ... "thank God there's a bigger douche out there than me right now!"

#15 The Menace
August 22 2009, 10:51AM

The sad part about this is hearing eric francis on the radio yesterday talking about Heatley when he was a Calgary Canuck. He said he was a gentleman, very respectful, and couldn't be a nicer guy. It's hard to guess how that much money would affect you, but i hope it wouldn't turn me into such a douche-bag.

#16 The Menace
August 22 2009, 10:55AM

In all this, it shouldn't be lost that Brian Murray holds the bag for a lot of this too. It seems like he's the one that may have leaked the trade request, he might be the one that lined up a trade to a team that Dany had not approved (screwing OTT, Dany AND EDM in the process), and he may have been the one to leak the EDM players involved.

#17 Heatly
August 22 2009, 10:58AM

Hope he does really poorly at team Canada try outs and gives a real hockey player a chance to win gold cause he doesn't deserve it!

#18 Pokey Reddick
August 22 2009, 11:13AM

Poor Dany Heatley...What a bunch of F**kin lies. What was the point of that press conference. Way to dance around the questions without giving one straight forward answer. Dany no one thinks any better of you after this press conference. You are just another millionaire baby who forgets how lucky you are to be blessed with sick hockey genes. Get off your high fu**ckin horse. Have a nice time finding a helmet that that oversized head, dick. We didn't learn anything that we already didn't know before did we, what a waste of talen. He doensn't want to come to Edmonton, and we would be stupid to want him anymore even if he is shoe in for 40 goals. I'll take a lunch bucket team of players any day before I will cheer for a guy like that

#19 Pokey Reddick
August 22 2009, 11:14AM

Pokey Reddick wrote:

Poor Dany Heatley…What a bunch of F**kin lies. What was the point of that press conference. Way to dance around the questions without giving one straight forward answer. Dany no one thinks any better of you after this press conference. You are just another millionaire baby who forgets how lucky you are to be blessed with sick hockey genes. Get off your high fu**ckin horse. Have a nice time finding a helmet to fit that oversized head, dick. We didn’t learn anything that we already didn’t know before did we, what a waste of talent. He doensn’t want to come to Edmonton, and we would be stupid to want him anymore even if he is shoe in for 40 goals. I’ll take a lunch bucket team of players any day before I will cheer for a guy like that
#20 J-Bird
August 22 2009, 11:33AM

Chris. wrote:

Another great read by Robin F*cking Brownlee.

Nice!

#21 rickithebear
August 22 2009, 11:42AM

The Menace wrote:

The sad part about this is hearing eric francis on the radio yesterday talking about Heatley when he was a Calgary Canuck. He said he was a gentleman, very respectful, and couldn’t be a nicer guy. It’s hard to guess how that much money would affect you, but i hope it wouldn’t turn me into such a douche-bag.

Grow up! It is a business. Yeah, every team in the NHL has honored every contract they have created.

They never traded a player.

You show me a team that has not traded a player that has commited to the community he plays in I will show you a team that has a right to complain.

Quit buying this NHL team drivel.

Go Danny Boy show the same honor and commitment every other team in the NHL has. Including the oilers. Just ask Messier, Weight, Smyth.

It is quit embarrassing thinking teams have honor!

I laugh and laugh.

Brownlee! Your boot licking! your beter than this!

#22 Death Metal Nightmare
August 22 2009, 11:42AM

Brownlee, your satire analysis of the conference call missed the key joke (for Oiler fans at least, who think they have a sense of entitlement to players because they're rabid and their team currently sucks): the Oilers SH*TSTORM situation is the reason why Heatley doesnt want to play in Edmonton. it has nothing to do with Winter or Fish Bowls.

the Oilers have no one to blame but themselves. fans and media "gurus" need to realize that instead of externally projecting villainous sentiment towards the Other, Dany Heatley. which isnt to say the dudes pompous or a moron (most athletes are), but not getting the "cause" right on why he wont come here is "more stupider" than Heatley.

seriously, if you were in Heatley's position, what is there on the Oilers hockey-wise that would entice you to accept that trade AT THE MOMENT (or months ago when it 'happened')? the inability to get free agent help? the fact that they pay up to the cap for a non-playoff team (which is basically clinically insane)? the future vision of not having a chance at an elite squad for at least 3-5 years at MINIMUM? why would Heatley waste his time there when he can cross his fingers for the Sharks to alienate Marleau out of town in the coming week(s)?

your final "translation" should have been: "i dont want to go to Edmonton because Lowe and Tambellini function inside the framework of a small market team but pay Maple Leafs/Rangers prices for crappy players. they currently have 1.1 million in cap space for a non-playoff team. LOL. im Dany-F**#%ing-Heatley"

#23 David S
August 22 2009, 11:56AM

Seriously Robin. The level at which you write makes me often think that I should leave work early some day and go down to one of Gregor's Thursday location shows just to walk up and shake your hand.

You sir are the goods.

#24 Joey Moss
August 22 2009, 12:21PM

i think it is kind of embarrassing that his behavior could be rewarded with a spot on an olympic team. i hope that he has officially talked himself out of a roster spot.

#25 DonDon
August 22 2009, 12:35PM

Death Metal Nightmare wrote:

Brownlee, your satire analysis of the conference call missed the key joke (for Oiler fans at least, who think they have a sense of entitlement to players because they’re rabid and their team currently sucks): the Oilers SH*TSTORM situation is the reason why Heatley doesnt want to play in Edmonton. it has nothing to do with Winter or Fish Bowls. look into the mirror and realize that Oilers management is at fault for not preparing the team correctly to get this trade done. maybe if they could function as a team (you know, conduct a proper break out without being hemmed in for a full minute, or kill a penalty) or had some players that werent either borderline AHL youth or overpaid garbage - maybe he would have considered the Oilers on his list and made the trade. (and if we need to run down more mistakes management wise on why this team looks pretty crappy to outsiders, just tell Willis to write it up) the Oilers have no one to blame but themselves. fans and media “gurus” need to realize that instead of externally projecting villainous sentiment towards the Other, Dany Heatley. which isnt to say the dudes pompous or a moron (most athletes are), but not getting the “cause” right on why he wont come here is “more stupider” than Heatley. seriously, if you were in Heatley’s position, what is there on the Oilers hockey-wise that would entice you to accept that trade AT THE MOMENT (or months ago when it ‘happened’)? the inability to get free agent help? the fact that they pay up to the cap for a non-playoff team (which is basically clinically insane)? the future vision of not having a chance at an elite squad for at least 3-5 years at MINIMUM? why would Heatley waste his time there when he can cross his fingers for the Sharks to alienate Marleau out of town in the coming week(s)? your final “translation” should have been: “i dont want to go to Edmonton because Lowe and Tambellini function inside the framework of a small market team but pay Maple Leafs/Rangers prices for crappy players. they currently have 1.1 million in cap space for a non-playoff team. LOL. im Dany-F**#%ing-Heatley”

Bottom line, this is calling a spade a spade. In the process of this mess, sadly Heatley has severely harmed his hockey future and our hockey club hasn't improved, again. Thanks Kevin, thanks Steve.

#26 BigE57
August 22 2009, 12:44PM

rickithebear wrote:

What does this have to do with anything, sure teams have traded players who are community minded, we all remember Ryan Smyth.

Heatley doesn't seem to care about community or team, he is known as a coach killer, he was part of a tragedy in Atlanta and showed no commitment to his organization or that community.

The guy doesn't deserve our respect, he may score 50 goals but he will never be on the same level as Gretzky, Lemiuex, Yzerman, Sakic or Messier.

#27 Milli
August 22 2009, 12:50PM

The guy is a total douche. He is everything that is wrong with pro sport. Spoiled little F*cking cry baby. I demand a trade because I'm being asked to be a team player....But, of course I will honor my contract....Loser, you've got no honor.

#28 wax for my stick
August 22 2009, 01:10PM

I for one am happy that Heatley never came here. Hes nothing but a disease. I was never a big fan of him and thought that he was highly overated(and still is) not to mention this guy has no character or integrity what so ever. Ya, its great that he scores 40-50 goals a year and Edmonton could use that but not from this guy. All this guy ever does is the whole "I want, I want" act where ever he is. "I want first line minutes, I want 1st line power play, I want more money, I want more choices when it comes to being traded" and so and so forth yet theres no results with this guy( don't get me wrong,his 40-50 goals he gets is great but thats it pretty much ends with him, hes got nothing else to offer) and thats why this guy hasn't been a factor for Ottawa the past years 2 years other than his 40-50 goals he scored, not to mention he does the "dissapearing act" when it comes to the last two play-offs hes been in. Sure he'll thrive in international play which is essentially "no-hit" hockey and hes not exactly playing agaisnt the best guys in the world when it comes to the world championship when the NHL playoffs are still going but when the going gets tough for this guy, ecspecially in the playoffs, hes invisible. I remeber watching the Stanley Cup Final with Ottawa and Anahiem and I sure as hell remember Heatley or any of their other skilled guys from the Sens not being a factor in any way possible. I guess the biggest thing that bothers me the most with this guy is that he gets nothing but "second chances". He gets into a high speed car accident which injures him and kills his buddy then gets off any charges and only does some community service for it. He then gets his trade he wanted from Atlanta to Ottawa for a chance to compete and make more money. Then when he asks for a trade out, he turns down a trade to Edmonton? thats 3 "second chances" for christs sake! The Oilers are so better off without this guy and I'm so happy hes not coming here.

#29 Lenny
August 22 2009, 01:36PM

Thanks for explaining to us stupids what we heard. Now we have instractions what we should think! Mayby now, for a change, you will explain to us why players do not want to come to Edmonton and why K. Lowe is stiil with the team?

#30 Hemmertime
August 22 2009, 01:43PM

Would RB have such a problem with this if Heatley declined a trade to Florida or NYI? I think not. Hit a little too close to home me thinks.

#31 BUCK75
August 22 2009, 02:03PM

You hit the nail on the head Robin. The guy is too full of himself. He pouted after Clouston turned the Sens season around & got pissed when Clouston's interim job became a permanent position. The Sens have gone through a handful of coaches the past few seasons & only a guy with an ego like Dany Heatley's would think that he could bully the team into getting a new coach or trading him.

I truly hope his Kelowna summer house gets engulfed by a forest fire. Karma is a Bitch, sooner or later it catches up with people.

#32 Kev
August 22 2009, 02:07PM

The sad thing is that K. Lowe would still do this trade in a heartbeat. My question is does K. Lowe have any other options on trying to obtain some other goal scorer. I still like Gilbert for Kessel, get it done!

#33 Lenny
August 22 2009, 02:12PM

Robin, Willis had the balls yestarday to talk about it. Do you have the balls?

#34 tkap84
August 22 2009, 02:16PM

wow what a great blog Robin...

where can I get this comment scrambler?

If Dany had another option, like you put it. He would have taken it. But at this point he is screwed. I see him beeing a Senator until at least the trade dealine. Only way sooner is if they fire Bryan Murray

#35 Bettman4pm
August 22 2009, 02:29PM

@ The Menace:

Its unknown who leaked the trade request, but truthfully as soon as Murray started to call around the league to make a deal word would have gotten out anyways. It always does. It is kind of funny that he may be interested in going to SJ, where the Sharks are laying down the gauntlet by stripping everyone of their letters and trying make everyone accountable there. If Heatley went there and did not want to become a solid two-way player or was upset that he did not get all the gravy PP time that he wants would he want out of their too lol?

#36 jeanshorts
August 22 2009, 02:35PM

Hemmertime wrote:

Why would any of us care if he turned down Florida or the Islanders? This is an Oilers blog. Robin Brownlee has been writing about the Oilers for 1600 years. We are Oiler fans. And Dany Heatley turned down the Oilers. If you are going to call out Brownlee then that's your prerogative. But next time try and pick something that at least makes a little semblance of sense. Right now you just look like a huge tool that has a bone to pick with Bronwlee for no reason other than the fact you are some kind of overzealous loser.

#37 DangerMan
August 22 2009, 02:53PM

RB, your analysis is bang on. The fact that the Oilers puckered up to this guy just grates on my nerves. Hopefully, lesson learned all around. Home grow your talent, so we don't have to go out and buy it.

#38 SportLife » Wherefore art thou, Dany Boy?
August 22 2009, 03:36PM

[...] with his trade demand and subsequent refusal to waive his no movement clause after Steve Tambe Go to Source Leave a comment Related PostsAugust 14, 2009 -- Poem: "Let Evening Come" by Jane [...]

#39 ScubaSteve
August 22 2009, 03:48PM

Lenny wrote:

Robin, Willis had the balls yestarday to talk about it. Do you have the balls?

Really thought we went through this in the last blog. A guy from Ohio has the scoop on what makes players decide not to come to Edmonton. We know your opinion, Lenny, we don't need to agree with you. How about you read the article and then make a comment that adds to the conversation about the article you just read?

#40 Robin Brownlee
August 22 2009, 03:55PM

Lenny wrote:

Robin, Willis had the balls yestarday to talk about it. Do you have the balls?

Talk about what? What does anything Willis wrote have to do with me?

Lenny wrote:

You're welcome.

#41 Robin Brownlee
August 22 2009, 04:04PM

Hemmertime wrote:

I don't write about Florida or the Islanders. Hits a little too close to home? Yes, issues that directly effect the team I do write about could be characterized as hitting closer to home. Funny how that works. I'm guessing you're implying something else, though. If you are, stop beating around the bush and spit it out. And, please, drop the "methinks." Do you speak that way? "Methinks I'll stick my head up my arse and post a jerky comment at ON." "Gee, honey, let's not hit the bingo hall tonight. Methinks we should go bowling instead."

#42 Rim_pig
August 22 2009, 04:25PM

Who really cares about him anymore. Tear the whole f***ing team down. Tank a few season. TRY and draft well and be in the same position that Chicago and Pittsburgh are now in.

We're only making things worse for ourselves if we continue to fill potholes on this team instead of rebuilding the road from the ground up.

That's all that Kevin Lowe and company has been doing the past few years. Fill a pothole rather than rebuilding the team from the foundation. -30-

#43 Chris.
August 22 2009, 04:36PM

quicksilver ballet wrote:

It’s difficult to put a finger on where things broke down and went wrong for the Oilers.

The Oilers drafted really, really, really well from 1979-1981...

They haven't done much else right ever since.

#44 docweb
August 22 2009, 04:49PM

Priceless.

Next time though... try your software out on a "deeper" subject.

#45 Robin Brownlee
August 22 2009, 04:56PM

Rim_pig wrote:

That’s all that Kevin Lowe and company has been doing the past few years. Fill a pothole rather than rebuilding the team from the foundation. -30-

Lowe bungled the Oilers into trouble it could take years to dig out from under with many of the moves he made in his last three or four seasons as GM. -- The Comrie split was ugly and Lowe's late request for $2.5 million to complete a trade resonated around the league with the players. -- Lowe could've have had Cory Perry in the deal he queered with Anaheim. -- Lowe (and a lot of others) didn't project that there's no way the salary cap could keep increasing at the rate it was. He did a lot of contracts with that blind spot. -- Is there a worse contract than Horcoff's? A gross overpay after the Cup run. -- The offer sheet to Penner is a close second. Loading up a long-term contract at $1 million or more per season over what anybody else was offering Sheldon Souray ranks up there, too. -- Not replacing Stoll and Reasoner. -- Letting players like Petr Sykora get away while chasing bigger fish. -- There's at least twice in the past five years when the Oilers have signed/otherwise committed themselves into a three-pronged mess in goal.

That's just off the top of my head.

#46 Travis Dakin
August 22 2009, 04:57PM

Robin Brownlee wrote:

Methinks I’ll stick my head up my arse and post a jerky comment at ON.” “Gee, honey, let’s not hit the bingo hall tonight. Methinks we should go bowling instead.

Wow, you just totally took the wind out of my sails for my planned night on the town.

jeanshorts wrote:

Once in a while you come in and say something that really makes me get a huge tool too.

#47 Lenny
August 22 2009, 05:07PM

@ ScubaSteve:I don't have anything against Brownlee. As a matter of fact I respect him for a long service and authority and that is why I would like him to fine out the reason why players do not come to Edmonton be honest about it and try to fix the situation, no matter what it is, thru the radio and newspapers so Oilers don't have to go thru that ever again. Is it so bad especially from the guy from Ohio or it doesn't metter where you are from as long as you care deeply about Oilers? If Brownlee is not willing to do it then he is not the guy that I thaught he is and I am sorry for bothering him.

#48 Blaine Bertsch
August 22 2009, 05:20PM

Come on, quick blaming the weather. Quick blaming the city. He signed long-term in Ottawa. I lived there. They have winter. He doesn't want to come to a CRAPPY TEAM! Players go to Detroit for crying out loud! Worst city in the league to live! When the Oilers start winning and quit pissing on their players (Comrie, Smyth etc) then we'll have people wanting to come here.

By the way, we've had more big signings of free-agents over the last few years than 3/4 of the league AND ALL free agents are overpaid. (unless you are detroit) Just ask Sather.

#49 Chris.
August 22 2009, 05:26PM

rickithebear wrote:

Just ask Messier, Weight, Smyth.

All three players were welcome to stay. Messier asked to be traded, the other two wanted more cash than the team was willing/able to pay. Niinimaa would have been a better example... Dude played hurt twenty-five minutes a night only to be dumped uncerimoniously at the trade deadline. Just sayin.

#50 Death Metal Nightmare
August 22 2009, 05:40PM

Blaine Bertsch wrote:

By the way, we’ve had more big signings of free-agents over the last few years than 3/4 of the league AND ALL free agents are overpaid. (unless you are detroit) Just ask Sather.

id like to see an article on that. a team by team analysis of how often each team uses each particular avenue of team building: trades, UFA/RFA "poaching" and drafting. and at what "category" of player it is (which would have to be defined by production, monetary value, or whatever). at least for teams main roster since the lockout. maybe considering drafting further back a bit in time since its a delayed process. nerd quest.