Schremp vs. Reddox vs. Potulny vs. Brule in the AHL

Jonathan Willis
August 25 2009 08:39AM

potulny-front

Much has been made by some fans over the order in which Craig MacTavish gave minutes to forwards who the Oilers called up from the AHL in 2008-09. In order of games played, they ranked as follows:

1. Liam Reddox: 46
  2. Gilbert Brule: 11
  3. Ryan Potulny: 8
  4. Rob Schremp: 4

I haven’t included J-F Jacques since his AHL time was technically only on a conditioning stint, so the question I’d like to ask is this: based on their AHL play, do these four players belong in this order?

I’ve decided to look at a number of different statistics to try and answer that question. Since each player spent a different amount of time in the AHL, I’ve divided all their numbers by total games played to give a per game rate. We’ll consider goals, points, +/- and Quality of Competition.

Goals Per Game:

Quality of Competition

1. Reddox: 1.853
  2. Brule: 1.677
  3. Potulny: 1.552
  4. Schremp: 1.355

Summation

The offensive categories and plus/minus all had exactly the same order: Potulny, Reddox, Brule, Schremp. Quality of competition, on the other hand, had Reddox on top by a fair bit, followed by Gilbert Brule, Ryan Potulny, and Rob Schremp.

It isn’t surprising that of the four players, Reddox got the most games: offensively, he tracked behind only Potulny, and the players he was playing against were better. Of the four, he’s also most suited to a role on the fourth-line and killing penalties, followed by Gilbert Brule. Given that a fourth line role is what was available to most of the call-ups, it only makes sense that Reddox would get the lion’s share of the games, with Brule (the youngest of this group) behind him.

As for offensive games, the only surprising thing is that Rob Schremp got called up before Ryan Potulny, since the latter had a far superior season. The splits explain that a little bit; Schremp was better in the first half of the season than he was in the second half. Regardless, after that point Potulny was the player who deserved – the player who had earned – a cameo with the Oilers.

Looking at their AHL achievements, it’s difficult to fault the order that Craig MacTavish placed these players in.  In fact, the only quibble that I would have is that perhaps Ryan Potulny should have gotten a longer look.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#201 Bob Cob
August 25 2009, 03:46PM

I just want to be post 200

#202 Bob Cob
August 25 2009, 03:47PM

oh dam I missed it.

#203 bingofuel
August 25 2009, 03:47PM

@ Travis Dakin:

#204 GSC
August 25 2009, 03:54PM

Jonathan Willis wrote:

@ GSC: Sorry - I overreacted. Thanks for the clarification.

No need to apologize at all, JW...if anything, it's me who owes you the apology.

Back to the article, I actually couldn't agree more with you regarding Ryan Potulny. While he isn't the same player as Schremp in terms of skill-set, I too think he deserves a closer look with the big club. I could see him filling in nicely on the 4th line, although that goes against Quinn's kamikaze line philosophy.

#205 ronaldo
August 25 2009, 03:55PM

@ bingofuel: Voyeur...pervert. :)

#206 smileigirl15
August 25 2009, 04:01PM

GSC wrote:

a sarcasm smiley would prove quite useful.

That's what this thing ~ is for; on these pages, it denotes sarcasm. @ Curious: yes I almost fell off my chair when I heard him say Marty could be as good as Joe Sakic if only he could skate faster. Marty had a purpose for sure, as we're now feeling the effects of having no 3rd line centreman who can win a faceoff but the point is, Marty is no Joe.

#207 bingofuel
August 25 2009, 04:02PM

@ ronaldo:

You have NO idea. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go get "dressed" for my "evening out"

#208 BUCK75
August 25 2009, 04:06PM

@ bingofuel:

ROFL...don't forget the beaver skin hat

#209 Fish
August 25 2009, 04:11PM

GSC wrote:

No need to apologize at all, JW…if anything, it’s me who owes you the apology.

Love in.

#210 Robbb Scchremp
August 25 2009, 04:14PM

Dear Everyone,

Thank you for your support.

However, you need to know that I really am not ready to play in the NHL. Right now I am not, or wouldn't be, a very good NHL'er. So, please stop talking and thinking about me in that way. I am a pretty good AHL'er. Maybe I'll play in Europe for a year. Who knows.

My problem is that although I have slick hands, I'm not very fast or strong, and NHL players are unbelievably fast and strong. Moreover, I don't have the ability to see plays developing, to 'think' the game, in the way that some smaller, slower players had. I'm working on it, but I've begun to accept that I might never make it.

Now there's a small chance I'll improve my skating and understanding of the game and eventually play well at the NHL level. So keep an eye on me as I play minor hockey and how I do in camp. Anyone can make it in the NHL, if they put in the work. Even me.

But there are some guys I play with and against that really are great prospects, who deserve a shot in the NHL. They deserve to be talked about more than me. My buddy Ryan Potulny was a prolific amateur, even better than me really, because I got most of my points on the powerplay, playing on a stacked team. And he's better than me now. When you say I deserve more of a look at camp it's embarrassing to me and offensive to the guys I play with and the guys I respect who've done much more than me and haven't made it in the bigs.

So please, cut it out. If I make it, it's because I played so well that an NHL team had to play me, not because I have some slick skills or some abstract 'offensive potential.' That's how it works.

Oh and Brownlee. I don't want any special attention at camp. If I play great the first few days, then I'll deserve more ice time, and if I rip it up in exhibition and play well defensively, I'll earn a spot somewhere in the NHL. I'd be embarrassed if I got chances that guys who outplayed me at camp weren't getting.

---

P.S. This is not really Rob Schremp.

#211 RossCreek
August 25 2009, 04:18PM

Oil hire Wayne Fleming as assistant. Is this fresh off the presses or old news on here. Woulda thought there'd be an article from Willis on it but maybe its in the works and this is fresh news.

#212 Spiderman
August 25 2009, 04:20PM

Robbb Scchremp wrote:

P.S. This is not really Rob Schremp.

Really???

P.S. This is not really Spiderman.

#213 Travis Dakin
August 25 2009, 04:24PM

bingofuel wrote:

@ Travis Dakin: I was joking about refreshing and getting a whole pile of comments and more money. Secretly, I just love watching all the discussion play out, you fabulous webheads!

You sir have manipulated me for the last time. How dare you!?!?!?

#214 Ducey
August 25 2009, 04:26PM

smileigirl15 wrote:

MacTavish proved he played favourites time and again. His love of Reasoner had him sending Reasoner out when his butt should have been on the bench. He seemed to have a chip on his shoulder regarding Schremp before the kid ever got here. As long as MacTavish was coaching, Schremp never stood a chance to play with the club. Personalities do come into it; you can’t help it but at the same time, they are all paid to play hockey. It’s the coach’s job to get his players to perform at their best. To be a better coach, MacTavish needs to learn to leave his personal opinions of plays at home. The coach is never going to love everyone on the team.

Hmmm, they get rid of Marty and their PK goes south and he has great year with Atlanta.

Now everyone is asking for a veteran centre who plays the PK and can win faceoffs.

Yeah, its all MacT's bias that are coming into play. I think he had a bias towards proper roster construction.

#215 Robbb Scchremp
August 25 2009, 04:30PM

Spiderman,

I'm you're biggest fan.

Will you sign my jockstrap?

#216 bingofuel
August 25 2009, 04:32PM

@ Travis Dakin:

You love it. stop pretending!

#217 OvenChicken8
August 25 2009, 04:39PM

Spiderman wrote:

Robbb Scchremp wrote: P.S. This is not really Rob Schremp. Really??? P.S. This is not really Spiderman.

P.S. This isn't Ovechkin.

#218 Travis Dakin
August 25 2009, 04:39PM

@ bingofuel: tee hee

#219 smiliegirl15
August 25 2009, 04:41PM

Ducey wrote:

Because Marty Sakic was all that and a bag of chips.

What I am saying is, Marty had his place. It should not be every time we needed an extra guy out on the ice when we pulled our goalie (which seemed like it was every other game). Our PK didn't just go south because of losing Marty. We also lost Stoll. We had Eric Cole on the wrong wing. We had misappropriated players everywhere but our PK was crap because we didn't have Marty Reasoner~~!

#220 Ender the Dragon
August 25 2009, 04:47PM

@ Ducey:

Today, you're a sharp tack. +1.

#221 Ender the Dragon
August 25 2009, 04:49PM

RossCreek wrote:

Oil hire Wayne Fleming as assistant. Is this fresh off the presses or old news on here. Woulda thought there’d be an article from Willis on it but maybe its in the works and this is fresh news.

I'm sure the Voices of the Nation are researching feverishly as we speak, the content depending on whether they like him or not.

#222 GSC
August 25 2009, 05:02PM

Fish wrote:

GSC wrote: No need to apologize at all, JW…if anything, it’s me who owes you the apology. Love in.

It's the tiiiiiiime of the seeeeeeeeeason for lovvvvving.

[/The Zombies]

#223 Jonathan Willis
August 25 2009, 05:09PM

RossCreek wrote:

It's news. And an article is coming.

The short version: I like this hiring.

#224 Chris
August 25 2009, 05:26PM

@ Jonathan Willis:

Wayne Flemming the comedian or Wayne Flemming the former assistant coach with the Flames?

Looking at the current state of things, I'd say we could all use a laugh.

#225 The Menace
August 25 2009, 05:30PM

My wife is concerned that the Oilers' coaching staff has gotten considerably less good-looking (worse-looking?) than the previous staff. I don't know what this Flemming guy brings to the table, but they may be losing her here.

#226 cableguy
August 25 2009, 05:48PM

bingofuel wrote:

@ ronaldo: You have NO idea. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go get “dressed” for my “evening out”

aka the weekly changing from the spider man pajamas to the superman pajamas

#227 cableguy
August 25 2009, 05:49PM

The Menace wrote:

My wife is concerned that the Oilers’ coaching staff has gotten considerably less good-looking (worse-looking?) than the previous staff. I don’t know what this Flemming guy brings to the table, but they may be losing her here.

if she thought mact and the crew were good looking there was no hope for her to begin with

#228 The Menace
August 25 2009, 08:19PM

@ cableguy: Even as a man with both feet firmly planted in the hetero community, I think I can safely say that moving from MacT to Quinn is dropping a few rungs on the handsome ladder.

#229 Death Metal Nightmare
August 26 2009, 05:46AM

@ Jonathan Willis:

not at all. i was just suggesting hypothetically, and independently of the Schremp situation, what would Gagner's scenario be right now without that tournament? does he make the team that quickly? or do they let him mature more physically and mentally while saying hes Not Ready?

#230 MattL
August 26 2009, 10:49AM

@ Robbb Scchremp:

Wow, if Schremp ever came close to saying ANY of this, I would have a heart attack. Self-aware, honest, selfless hockey players? Pfft.