Oilers Prospects at the Canadian WJC Summer Camp

Jonathan Willis
August 06 2009 01:00PM

Yesterday was the opening day of the Canadian junior hockey team’s summer orientation camp, and the Oilers have three prospects participating: 2008 draft picks Jordan Eberle and Philippe Cornet, and 2009 pick Olivier Roy.

TSN has been good enough to keep us up to date on what’s happening, so let’s check the progress of the Oilers’ prospects so far.

Jordan Eberle, should he be returned to junior, is a shoe-in for the team and yesterday played on a line with Canucks prospect Cody Hodgson and 2008 4th overall pick Evander Kane. If that line were kept intact, it would almost certainly be Canada’s top line at the WJC. Last year Eberle scored six goals and seven assists for Team Canada, including a last minute goal against Russia that kept the team in the tournament. His performance at the WJC cemented his status as the Oilers’ top prospect in the minds of many, and there’s no doubt Canada would love to have him back.

Philippe Cornet’s status is less certain. So far in camp, he’s played a fourth-line role with a pair of OHL players: New Jersey prospect Adam Henrique and 2009 first-rounder Zack Kassian. Cornet’s age will certainly help him: he has a full year on the 2009 draft picks and took a major step forward last season (scoring 33 goals and 92 points for Rimouski of the QMJHL). Multiple scouting reports have identified him as a player with a wide range of skills, and he’s the sort of player who could easily slide from a 4th line role on to a scoring line if injuries were to strike. He probably won’t make the team but he’s certainly in contention and a strong start in the QMJHL would help his cause a great deal.

Olivier Roy is an interesting choice for Team Canada and joins a very successful group of goaltenders (Jake Allen, Matt Hackett, Martin Jones). He was picked over higher-drafted goaltenders (Adam Morrison, J-F Berube and notably Edward Pasquale) for the summer camp and that’s a nice vote of confidence in the Oilers scouting staff. That said, he’s been a backup the first two days of camp with Allen and Hackett starting, and it’s hard not to see him as the #4 candidate on the depth chart. It will probably take an outstanding start from Roy, or a faltering one from at least one of Allen or Hackett for him to snag a role with the team.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#1 gdawg
August 06 2009, 01:05PM

Better things to talk about than this junior camp. You are one the many brainwashed viewers that TSN has a hold of.

#2 dyckster
August 06 2009, 01:13PM

gdawg wrote:

Wow, 1st comment in and you're slammin JW. WTF? It's hockey, it's related to the oilers, and in case you haven't noticed there's not a whole of exciting NHL related news being bantered about these days.

FYI...Eberle's gonna be a stud!

Thanks for the update Mr. Willis!

#3 Trav
August 06 2009, 01:15PM

gdawg wrote:

Like what exactly???

Thanks for the update Willis, didn't even know the camp had started. The WJC have produced some of the most exciting games I've ever watched, non less thrilling then the one the clip is from. Always love to have Oiler propects to chear for come boxing day!.

#4 Wanye Gretz
August 06 2009, 01:16PM

gdawg wrote:

Seems like a dickish thing to say.

*crosses gdawg off of Valentine's Day list*

#5 dyckster
August 06 2009, 01:19PM

Wanye Gretz wrote:

dickish

At least you didn't say "dyckish".

*curses german ancestry for dreaming up such a name*

#6 gdawg
August 06 2009, 01:19PM

Wow. Just one mans opinion. Guess I dont care till Christmas to give a crap. Even then that whole tourney seems overblown by TSN.

#7 OvenChicken8
August 06 2009, 01:21PM

*side note* That really hurt my brain to write.

#8 Ogden Brother
August 06 2009, 01:23PM

I've always pictured Eberle as a solid 2nd liner, servicable 1st line 3rd wheel... ala Peter Sykora.... maybe I have to start rethinking that???

#9 bingofuel
August 06 2009, 01:26PM

@ OvenChicken8:

It really hurt my brain to read

*nose and ears bleed inexplicably*

#10 Wanye Gretz
August 06 2009, 01:28PM

@ OvenChicken8:

I actually enjoyed it tremendously. It spoke to my G code

#11 OvenChicken8
August 06 2009, 01:29PM

@ bingofuel: My bad, I'm only semi fluent in the art of wigga chat.

Question JW Do you think Roy has an honest chance of making the team or is he just there to fill the net for the practice squads?

#12 Robin Brownlee
August 06 2009, 01:31PM

OvenChicken8 wrote:

@ gdawg: Sup dawg, let me break it down 4 cha home slice. Jay dubs is snap-a-cracklin some e-town oilz related newz for us da viewaz. He talkin bout da prospects of Jay Ebb - Oh my Roy and Philly cornbred tryin out for da Canadian Juniorz team. Its all good man, just chill. *side note* That really hurt my brain to write.

Did you have your pants hanging off your ass, your belt cinched around your knees, your hat cocked 45 degrees to one side and your brain in neutral when you wrote that? And don't forget the obligatory punk-ass sneer that begs people to kick you in the nuts.

#13 Travis Dakin
August 06 2009, 01:38PM

Robin Brownlee wrote:

So that's why I now have a permanently bent giggle stick. I gotta smile more.

#14 Oilersordeath
August 06 2009, 01:41PM

@ OvenChicken8:

Holy Christ that was some funny shiiieeeeeet!! I laughed so hard half of my pasta came out my nose! Classic.

#15 dyckster
August 06 2009, 01:42PM

Travis Dakin wrote:

giggle stick

Never heard "it" referred to as a giggle stick before? I learned something today, I can go home now.

In between comments about Willis' most excellent article we could blog about the several nicknames "it" has adopted over the years.

#16 Chaz
August 06 2009, 01:47PM

Robin Brownlee wrote:

#17 Robin Brownlee
August 06 2009, 01:49PM

Chaz wrote:

Robin Brownlee wrote: And don’t forget the obligatory punk-ass sneer that begs people to kick you in the nuts. With that in mind, is there an application , oops I mean an app that could actually kick a commenter in the nuts when they come up with an especially inane comment? I think that would really tidy things up around here. * Winces at the realization that some of his comments may lead to a nut-kicking. *

Why shut Wanye down like that?

#18 Chaz
August 06 2009, 02:00PM

gdawg wrote:

Even then that whole tourney seems overblown by TSN.

Pierre Macquire will never stand for such blatant insubordination. As soon as he finishes Phaneuf's daily pedicure and full body massage he's going to be coming for you Gdawg!

#19 Downright Fierce
August 06 2009, 02:02PM

Speaking as a fan of hip-hop, I'm going to have to interject...

In the immortal words of Ice Cube: "You betta check yoself, 'fo you wreck yoself."

As fun as it is to jump all over gdawg for his knee-jerk reaction, the worst way to do it is by tapping into a stereotype based on his handle. He didn't make his point in so-called "wigga chat", nor did he say anything that established him as the person that Brownlee described (which was terribly prejudiced itself... for shame, RB).

Not only that, but I think gdawg represents a huge part of the ON population that doesn't especially care about WJC news at this point in the year. I was more than happy to hear about it, but that doesn't mean people can't opine conversely. Feel free to counter gdawg's statement, but do not lower yourselves to the level of ignorant children to do so, Nation.

Despite all that, those nicknames Oven Chicken came up with were actually pretty legit and awesome.

#20 ronaldo
August 06 2009, 02:03PM

@ OvenChicken8: Fo shizzel

#21 I'm a Scientist!
August 06 2009, 02:05PM

@ Chaz: *goes to buy a cup*

#22 Travis Dakin
August 06 2009, 02:06PM

dyckster wrote:

In between comments about Willis’ most excellent article we could blog about the several nicknames “it” has adopted over the years.

that's what we do at jeanshortsandbaggedmilk.com.

Here we try to stay on the subject of hockey as long as possible until it inevitably turns awesome. There we just go straight for the awesome and try to steer it to some hockey talk.

#23 Travis Dakin
August 06 2009, 02:07PM

@ Downright Fierce: thanks Dad.

#24 risto
August 06 2009, 02:13PM

@ Robin Brownlee:

I picture the Simpsons electro-shocking each other in Dr. Nick Riveira's office.

In other words, there would be no one left standing around here without sore nuts.

#25 Downright Fierce
August 06 2009, 02:13PM

@ Travis Dakin: If my Dad ever quoted Ice Cube, I would be sooo happy.

That link's totally NSFW by the way. Unless you have headphones.

#26 dyckster
August 06 2009, 02:15PM

Travis Dakin wrote:

that’s what we do at jeanshortsandbaggedmilk.com.

Or at ON when Wanye is the writer of record. Imagine what gdawg or Fierce have to say when Gretz serves up one of his classics.

I'm a relative ON newby but I can't imagine the summer months without Wanye slipping a blog or two in there. Even Willis, Brownlee, and Gregor need a break, they have to run out hockey literary fuel every once and a while.....don't they?

#27 OvenChicken8
August 06 2009, 02:26PM

Downright Fierce wrote:

Not only that, but I think gdawg represents a huge part of the ON population that doesn’t especially care about WJC news at this point in the year

The fact is that JW was talking about the prospects not about the team in general or else he would have mentioned nearly 40 other names. And really, whether a person likes the WJC or not at least we get SOME hockey news and it's even better if it has something to do with the Oilers.

#28 Harlie
August 06 2009, 02:32PM

gotta love the hands on this kid. Great goal during a pressure moment. The guy is money.

#29 Harlie
August 06 2009, 02:34PM

is it weird that whenever I see Wayne Gretzky's name somewhere i think it's spelled wrong and then I remember that my brain is reverting back to Wanye from ON?

#30 DonDon
August 06 2009, 02:37PM

Moving away from the discussions on hip-hop. While Oilers' fans are waiting for the top prospects, which are out in the future, here is what today's Bleacher Report said about the Oilers as the team prepares for training camp and next NHL season:

"And despite the new coaching staff with not one but two very experienced and capable men behind the bench in Tom Renney and Pat Quinn, let's be clear: Edmonton is not a playoff team, not even close.

"There are obvious issues when debating about whether or not to bring a player with Zherdev's reputation aboard, but with the pathetic state of the Oilers forwards and not to mention an impatient fan base; any change is good change and Steve Tambellini would be a fool not to atleast consider it."

#31 Travis Dakin
August 06 2009, 02:45PM

DonDon wrote:

It's pretty much the view INSIDE the the OilersNation too.

#32 Downright Fierce
August 06 2009, 02:48PM

@ OvenChicken8: Agreed. My little tirade was mostly over how mean-spirited the thread was getting. Wouldn't get away with calling country or classic rock fans punk asses that deserved nutshots, I can tell you that much.

#33 Ogden Brother
August 06 2009, 02:49PM

DonDon wrote:

Moving away from the discussions on hip-hop. While Oilers’ fans are waiting for the top prospects, which are out in the future, here is what today’s Bleacher Report said about the Oilers as the team prepares for training camp and next NHL season: “And despite the new coaching staff with not one but two very experienced and capable men behind the bench in Tom Renney and Pat Quinn, let’s be clear: Edmonton is not a playoff team, not even close. “There are obvious issues when debating about whether or not to bring a player with Zherdev’s reputation aboard, but with the pathetic state of the Oilers forwards and not to mention an impatient fan base; any change is good change and Steve Tambellini would be a fool not to atleast consider it.” Pathetic state of the Oilers Forwards, Wow! Is this the view outside OilersNation and Lowetide?

Funny because I bet they were very positive on the Oiler forwards (and the team as a whole) this time last year.

#34 Dallas
August 06 2009, 02:51PM

Just a little something off topic that I have been irked about.I think Mark Spector is a goof the last blog he did was after the esks got blown out that second game and he was ripping on Ricky Ray and the Esks now ever since that Riders Game he has been quiet like he was handed his lunch and he is hiding in a corner eating it sorry guys totally off topic but I had to vent to someone the guy is a douche always ripping on edm

#35 dyckster
August 06 2009, 02:54PM

Dallas wrote:

Hey Dallas, how about some punctuation buddy! :)

#36 kingsblade
August 06 2009, 02:54PM

gdawg wrote:

gdawg wrote:

That wasn't an opinion that was a shot. If you think there are better things to talk about then please share with us what those things are, otherwise your comments have no purpose other than to try and be insulting.

You are one of the many idiots out there who try to excuse boorish behavior by saying its "just an opinion." Grow up or shut up.

#37 Travis Dakin
August 06 2009, 02:54PM

Downright Fierce wrote:

Wouldn’t get away with calling country or classic rock fans punk asses that deserved nutshots, I can tell you that much.

Country music fans deserve a shot to the nuts. I mean this. I'm Travis Dakin B*tch.

#38 jeanshorts
August 06 2009, 02:59PM

Harlie wrote:

is it weird that whenever I see Wayne Gretzky’s name somewhere i think it’s spelled wrong and then I remember that my brain is reverting back to Wanye from ON?

I can't even spell it Wayne anymore without stopping and staring at the keyboard as I type. Oilersnation has become part of my lexicon! And the jury is still out on weather that's sad or bad-ass.

#39 Ender the Dragon
August 06 2009, 03:00PM

Travis Dakin wrote:

giggle stick

That's not a good name for it. If you're giggling when it's in use, you're doing something wrong somehow. And if someone else is giggling, well the train is well off the tracks at that point . . .

#40 Jonathan Willis
August 06 2009, 03:01PM

RE: The World Juniors

Be thankful I didn't write about the Ivan Hlinka tournament (I was seriously considering it).

In any case, the WJC training camp is now, and it's an interesting indicator of where Oiler prospects are at. Eberle we knew, but Philippe Cornet getting invited says good things about his progression over the last season.

Roy's camp selection is also interesting; there were at least three eligible higher-drafted goaltenders this past summer who were passed over in favour of Roy - which tells us that whoever is making selections for Hockey Canada agrees with Oilers scouts.

In any case, if you aren't interested in Oilers prospects, suit yourself - but if so than it's a little strange that you're hanging out here.

#41 Travis Dakin
August 06 2009, 03:01PM

Ender the Dragon wrote:

That’s not a good name for it. If you’re giggling when it’s in use, you’re doing something wrong somehow. And if someone else is giggling, well the train is well off the tracks at that point . . .

If you are using it by yourself and giggling... well then you are just doing it right.

#42 Jonathan Willis
August 06 2009, 03:02PM

gdawg wrote:

You are one the many brainwashed viewers that TSN has a hold of.

In point of fact, I'm making an effort this winter to skip TSN entirely and see the games in person. It's great hockey.

YMMV.

#43 jeanshorts
August 06 2009, 03:02PM

@ Jonathan Willis:

~what was that Willis? I couldn't hear you with all that TSN Kool-Aid in your mouth~

#44 bingofuel
August 06 2009, 03:03PM

@ Dallas:

Dude, I love you. You have gumption, gusto and grace. As a favour to you, I'm lending you my patented Box 'o Punctuation and Sentence Enders™.

Love, the dude what pulls them thar levers and whatnot.

#45 gdawg
August 06 2009, 03:04PM

@ kingsblade: I wasnt insulting anybody. Talking about Oiler prospects is fine, but I think the WJH tourney and its rep is a bit overblown.

My comments are in no way an attack on anyone. That's what I think and what you wrote is what YOU think. Is the purpose of this site to have a bunch of clones who all think the same? Nothing wrong with a little healthy banter.

#46 Travis Dakin
August 06 2009, 03:07PM

gdawg wrote:

I'd call that insulting...

#47 gdawg
August 06 2009, 03:15PM

@ Travis Dakin: Ive watched panel shows where they have been asked if TSN overboards on this tournament. Its out there. Come this winter listen and watch the commercials and you'll see how strong they come on. Im not at all dissing the hockey, but it just seems they lay it on a little thick when they have these spots where guys are recalling how much of a tradition it is to tune in every holiday season. Is it really a life altering memory seeing Canada trounce some of these lower teams. My point is that TSN goes a little to sappy and repetitive over this.

#48 Chaz
August 06 2009, 03:19PM

Travis Dakin wrote:

Country music fans deserve a shot to the nuts. I mean this. I’m Travis Dakin B*tch.

Do you mean New Cheezy Country a la Shania? If so I concur.

However, if you are also referring to Outlaw Country a la Willie and Waylon, then you and I Sir will have to agree to disagree.

*Continues to hum Luckenbach Texas to himself. *

#49 jeanshorts
August 06 2009, 03:23PM

@ Chaz:

the ORIGINAL O.G's like Waylon, Willie, Johnny, hell even Jerry Lee Lewis should forever get a pass. They were rock stars before there was such a thing.

#50 Dallas
August 06 2009, 03:24PM

bingofuel wrote:

@ Dallas: Dude, I love you. You have gumption, gusto and grace. As a favour to you, I’m lending you my patented Box ‘o Punctuation and Sentence Enders™. Love, the dude what pulls them thar levers and whatnot.

Punctuation what are those.And sentence Enders? Anyway thanks I try. And this article is a good one I always like to hear what oiler players are up too and their progress it's good to hear what I have been thinking that the oiler scouts are doing much better these days. I thought we had a tremendous draft this year some real steals only time will tell though