Dany Heatley Traded to San Jose

Jason Gregor
September 12 2009 03:45PM

The Calgary Cryer has finally been granted his wish, as the Senators dealt one of the league’s best goal scorers, Dany Heatley and a 5th round pick to the Sharks for Milan Michalek, Jonathon Cheechoo and a 2nd rounder.

Once again the team that deals away the best player loses the trade. Had the Oilers acquired Heatley back in July, they too would have won the trade, but at least Ottawa would have gotten more for him.

Would any of you have traded Cogliano, Smid and Penner for Michalek, Cheechoo and a 2nd? Unless you were smoking the hippie whiskey I doubt it.

This is a horrible trade for Ottawa and a great one for the Sharks.

The Sharks get a proven 45 goal man and they only gave up Michalek. At this point Cheechoo is a throw in. He has lost since being injured, and unless he had a miraculous off-season I can’t see how his skating has improved that much.

Sure, Cheechoo scored 56 goals in 2006, but since then he has been on a downward spiral goal scoring wise. He scored 37 in 2007, 23 in 2008 and only 12 last year. He’ll get ample playing time in Ottawa, but I don’t see him being more than a 30 goal man with the Senators.

The Sharks meanwhile boast some of the best offensive talent in the game, but until they get some mental toughness they will continue to be a top-end team that can’t win.

OILER TRAINING CAMP

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 Travis Dakin
September 12 2009, 03:50PM

Jason Gregor wrote:

and I will be there regardless of how hung over I am.

Cheers to that Buddy. All hail Alcomahol!!!

#2 Greg MC
September 12 2009, 03:50PM

Character means something, so Oiler fans are better off in the long run without DFH.

#3 SPAWNLAUNCHER
September 12 2009, 03:51PM

Oh no, the Senators got a hell of a deal. Don't you know the longer you hold on to someone that requested a trade, the more you get for them?

Regards, Everyone that bashed K-Lowe for trading Pronger right away after demanding a trade

#4 JonW
September 12 2009, 03:51PM

wow that is all I can say.

#5 the villan
September 12 2009, 03:56PM

Heatley's a clown..

#6 Jerry D. Smith
September 12 2009, 04:02PM

Heatley's a clown and a sexy monkey. Yeah Heatley go to San Jose and choke.....choke you fool.....choke like a circus clown....yeah Heatley I said it...a circus clown

This comment is not approved by the Heatley family....Ah thank ya, thank ya very much

#7 jeanshorts
September 12 2009, 04:06PM

I can't wait to watch Heatley and Thornton battle for who is going to be the downfall of the Sharks this year!

#8 Matt Hanson
September 12 2009, 04:06PM

Hi everyone San Jose got a great deal, its too bad that Heatley didn't approve the trade here.....but as a lot of people say perhaps its best in the long run because of his attitude, as well as the fact that he didn't want to play here.

Second of all to the guy posting as Jerry D. Smith, 3 words Get a life.

#9 Librarian Mike
September 12 2009, 04:13PM

jeanshorts wrote:

I can’t wait to watch Heatley and Thornton battle for who is going to be the downfall of the Sharks this year!

About the nicest thing I can say is that Heatley and 'No-Show' Joe are that they are probably the 2 best regular season players in the world.

#10 oilersseasonticketholdersince99
September 12 2009, 04:14PM

Lets hope the Oilers play the Sharks in the playoffs every year that Heatley is there and we win,It did not work for Hossa and it will not work for Heatley,The Senators have gotten rid of a cancer and the Sharks are welcoming one in the door.

#11 Archaeologuy
September 12 2009, 04:15PM

I can see why Ottawa had no desire to make this trade all summer. If Michalek was a late throw in then i can imagine that this trade was an out-loud laugh when Murray originally heard it. Cheechoo wont get 30, he wont get 20. This guy is done. Murray wishes that Frolov and Stoll rumour had a hint of truth to it.

#12 Librarian Mike
September 12 2009, 04:18PM

Archaeologuy wrote:

Cheechoo wont get 30, he wont get 20.

He'll get more than 30 when Pisani scores 14 again in the playoffs...

#13 Jerry D. Smith
September 12 2009, 04:24PM

cheechoo's cousin is pikachu

#14 BigE91
September 12 2009, 04:24PM

@ Librarian Mike: I think we'd all be happy if Pisani got 14+ in the regular season this year.

#15 Jerry D. Smith
September 12 2009, 04:24PM

both are kind of short, kind of funny looking, and about as useless on the ice

#16 Librarian Mike
September 12 2009, 04:28PM

BigE91 wrote:

@ Librarian Mike: I think we’d all be happy if Pisani got 14+ in the regular season this year.

QFT!

#17 freeze
September 12 2009, 04:28PM

Murray was raped in the bunghole.

#18 Bill Rizer
September 12 2009, 04:30PM

I'm confused how this is a horrible trade for Ottawa? I admit Heatley is the best player in the deal but Michalek hasn't hit his potential yet and with a more prominent role on Ottawa's top line should score 30+ (he was prominent in SJ, but they scattered their lines regularly). Cheechoo doesn't have the magic he once did but he'll still chip in 15-20 and add some grit and depth. Plus they get a second rounder which could turn into a decent player. Biggest thing is they get rid of a problem and a lot can be said for the impact this may have on the Senators.

#19 humantorch
September 12 2009, 04:39PM

You Edmonton-based sons of bitches better do me proud and boo that conceited spoiled whiny mother%$@&%# right off the ice when the Minnows visit the Oilers this season.

#20 humantorch
September 12 2009, 04:39PM

Aw man, my comment is getting moderated. This is why I shouldn't post when hammered out of my gourd.

#21 Godzilla
September 12 2009, 04:40PM

Maybe Murray is still interested in PDP and we can f?ck him too.

#22 Archaeologuy
September 12 2009, 04:48PM

@ Bill Rizer: It's a bad deal for the On-Ice value of the players, clearly San Jose has decided to shake off it's leadership/character problems by adding another whiny prima-donna to its ranks. Thats not good for them.

But 2nd rounders MIGHT turn into good players, on the other hand even 1st rounders arent guaranteed to be good NHLers (i'm looking at you Pouliot and Schremp). Cheechoo has looked like he aged 10 years in the span of 3, and Milan Michalek is a young and talented but he isnt a 50 goal scorer. I think he will do well in Ottawa though. However, a line consisting of Marleau-Thornton-Heatley is a frightening prospect for opposing teams.

#23 Victoria
September 12 2009, 04:59PM

I love how Heatley said he didn't do anything wrong... hehe yeah, well, I imagine those thousands and thousands of hockey fans who'll be boo'ing everytime you touch the puck may disagree.

#24 Gerald R. Ford
September 12 2009, 04:59PM

I'd still like to know who told the Oil that Heatley would come here, and also, who leaked the names of our guys going the other way. If it was Murray, I can't really say I'm sorry that he's going to be walking funny for the foreseeable future. BRUTAL deal.

Gotta love the Sharks. They strip their Captain and Alternates of their letters, because the team lacks leadership and character, and then they bring in the Prince of Douches.

OK...

#25 RossCreek
September 12 2009, 05:25PM

Jason Gregor wrote:

Is it open to the public?

#26 Lofty
September 12 2009, 05:42PM

I think Ottawa wins because of the salary room they gain. If they traded with the Oil the salarys would have been a close trade, this way Brian Murray has more wiggle room for the next few years. Gives them a chance at some guy in Atlanta or Columbus next year.

#27 viss.99
September 12 2009, 05:42PM

Heatley has no class

#28 Librarian Mike
September 12 2009, 05:45PM

viss.99 wrote:

Heatley has no class

...and the sky is blue.

#29 RossCreek
September 12 2009, 05:56PM

Lofty wrote:

Michalek - 4.333333 Cheechoo - 3.000000 = 7.333333

Heatley - 7.500000

Penner - 4.250000 Cogliano - 1.133333 Smid - 1.350000 = 6.733333 Doesn't look like Ottawa saved money.

For the record, I think this lifts the curse on Ottawa, and they return to the playoffs.

Lofty wrote:

Gives them a chance at some guy in Atlanta or Columbus next year.

Rick Nash? He signed an extension already. And they've got Kovalev @ 5 yet next year as well. They do not currently have much room to add a marquee FA next year.

#30 Woogie
September 12 2009, 06:09PM

@ Bill Rizer: Amen. Between Cheechoo and Michalek they have about 40-50 goals. Same goes with Heatley about 40-50 goals. Ott get 2 draft picks and gets rid of the problem.

I say it's a win win deal.

#31 Lofty
September 12 2009, 06:31PM

@ RossCreek:

Cheechoo only has one more year after this and if you compare the years of the salary restrictions they win although the number for the year are similar

#32 Bill Rizer
September 12 2009, 06:40PM

@ Archaeologuy: I don't disagree, but under the circumstances they did well.

Plus I kind of like what Ottawa is putting together. They hold some intrigue for me this season - perhaps a dark horse playoff team. If Leclaire solidifies their goaltending woes, and guys like Kovalev and Cheechoo contribute they have more depth than they ever have in franchise history.

#33 KAM
September 12 2009, 06:47PM

Hey Jason any truth that Nikolai Zherdev might be coming to Edmonton. Have you heard anything about that? I think he would be a good fit.

#34 Alon
September 12 2009, 07:23PM

Dany Heatley has proved once and for all that you CAN get whatever you want by simply flopping to the floor kicking and screaming

#35 DonovanMD
September 12 2009, 07:37PM

I guess he had more "options" now and it was a tough decision between Edmonton and San Jose.

#36 Thorn
September 12 2009, 07:51PM

I can see Dany's **it eating grin right now. Man, did he EVER take it to his old team. Cudos to Murray for trying to making him sweat a bit by holding off to the last second; what an insignificant victory though.

Now the spoiled brat doesn't even have to go face the music. He spends a day in Ott, DOESN'T have to participate in the team golf tourney...then gets wisked away to never-ending-summer-land. ...oh yeah, but everyone who knows him KNOWS he's a good teamate.

GET BENT!

#37 HOFFFF
September 12 2009, 08:47PM

Alon wrote:

Thats what p*sses me off the most. Live up to your contract asshead, and if you want out of your contract, than NMC is null and void. I can't believe he got what he wanted.....

#38 oilersordeath
September 12 2009, 10:17PM

Heatley I salute you with a big middle finger! And I hope you get seafood poisoning you Effin piece of sh!t.

#39 KenL
September 12 2009, 10:28PM

I disagree with Gregor. I think this a deal that benefits both teams - similar to the Hossa for Heatley deal that landed the Calgary Crybaby in Ottawa. Cheechoo has equal his 56 goal season. But at least he's scored 50+ goals, something few in the current NHL can claim.

I think a change of scenery will help Cheechoo find the scoring touch. Heatley I can see his drop in production continue now that he's playing in a lesser hockey market. No scrutiny by fans and media means less pressure to perform.

#40 Jason Gregor
September 12 2009, 10:36PM

RossCreek wrote:

Jason Gregor wrote: Look for training camp updates starting tomorrow. The first on-ice session begins at 8:15, and I will be there regardless of how hung over I am. Is it open to the public?

Yes it is...

#41 Jason Gregor
September 12 2009, 10:37PM

KAM wrote:

NOt sure where you heard that. He has a deal with the KHL so he won't be coming here...

#42 derek t
September 12 2009, 11:29PM

#43 Dave
September 13 2009, 12:51AM

@ derek t: screw off trollomite.

#44 humantorch
September 13 2009, 01:27AM

derek t wrote:

Judging by your typing, I'd say one reason to play in Edmonton is the clearly superior education system.

#45 oilersinsider
September 13 2009, 03:15AM

I don't know why people continue to use the old addage, the teams who gets the best player wins the trade. That is so obviously not always true and in this case I think it too.

Heatley should be the best player in this deal, but that doesn't mean he will be. We know he's lazy. He wanted out of a team that asked him to be a team first type player. He wanted to get traded to a team that had the best assist guy in the league in Thornton. How quickly will it take for Heatley to want out if a) San Jose doesn't win because they have no depth beyond their top 5 guys and b) he's on a different line than Thornton.

We already know Michalek is good, but what if he becomes the go to guy in Ottawa beside Spezza and pots 40 goals? Heatley last year had 39. Does that mean Michalek is the best player? The same can be said for Cheechoo, who last year wasn't only injured, but never saw much time beyond the 3rd line.

Heatley is the best player now. Or at least he should be, but look at the hole this can possibly put San Jose in for the next 2-5 years. I don't think San Jose is as big a winner here as everyone is saying.

#46 ShaunDoe
September 13 2009, 06:46AM

Well looking at how much cap space is now tied up with 4 players in San Jose (bearing in mind that Marleau's contract will most likely be gone next season). Thats an awful lot of money to spend on so few players. They could find their team begin to collapse if their farm team isn't up to the challenge of filling out next seasons roster.

#47 Archaeologuy
September 13 2009, 09:18AM

@ Bill Rizer: I can see that. If Michalek, Leclaire, and Kovalev play to potential then that team will be pretty good. The more i think about it the less i think the Sens will miss Heatley's production, but they need the new guys to help them score by commitee.

#48 Word
September 13 2009, 01:10PM

humantorch wrote:

derek t wrote: Why owould anyone want to play in Deadmonton anyways? The sharkes are going all the way to the cup, the Sens suck, and Heatley hates Edmonton more than he did Ottawa. Congrats Edmonton on being the toilet of hte league wheres no one wants to play there. WHo would want to live there in the minus 80 degree weather and no beaches or woman. Good luck maknig the playoffs with your smurf team GO SHARKS GO Judging by your typing, I’d say one reason to play in Edmonton is the clearly superior education system.

Heh.

#49 Pedro
September 13 2009, 06:16PM

derek t wrote:

And I thought I was a troll...

#50 Milli
September 14 2009, 08:00AM

Screw heatley, and Derek. San Jose is going to be the best regular season team, but there will be no secong round for them.