Mike Comrie Press Conference Transcript

Jonathan Willis
September 12 2009 11:43AM

Comrie

Mike Comrie held a press conference to discuss his return to Edmonton and the Oilers, and frankly he said all of the right things. He talked about being grateful for the opportunity to return to the Oilers, and how he’s matured over the time he’s been away.

What follows is a transcript of Comrie’s responses to the various questions posed to him.

“It’s one of those things that got down to the wire and I had to make a decision on some of the options that I had. This was one that just felt right. It’s a time in my life that I’m excited about; I got chills walking back into this rink, and it’s been a while since I had a feeling like that.”

Why Comrie’s return is different than his first go-around:

“I think the biggest thing is that I’m a little older, more mature, and more importantly ready to accept it. It was a little overwhelming and I don’t think I embraced it as well as I could have. It’s a lot to handle, and I felt like I needed to get away, and now I’m here, six years later. I’m extremely excited about being an Oiler again and playing in my hometown, one where I grew up with great memories.”

Home sweet home?

“Home sweet home. It’s one of those opportunities that I’m going to come in here, work hard – I’ve got to earn everything I get. Like every player that comes to camp I’m excited and thrilled about this opportunity.

Offers from other teams:

“I think that it’s probably unfair to talk about other teams or to sit here and tell you that I turned down certain offers. There was a lot of dialogue with other teams and different options, but this one just seemed to feel right. It’s funny how life works, but I’m excited to play in Edmonton.”

The strangeness of coming back to Edmonton:

“I think that once I get my skates on, there are a lot of familiar faces. I’ve been back here for a few weeks skating with some of my old teammates. It’s one of those things that I feel very grateful for, to get this chance. I didn’t know if it was ever going to happen, and I realize that I’ve got to come in here, play hard and help contribute. I know that the biggest thing that Edmontonians want is the Oilers in the playoffs.”

Being booed by the fans:

“When I left here, I never once criticized, saying ‘fans shouldn’t boo, shouldn’t do this, shouldn’t do that’. I always said that I was one of those fans that did that, so I’m not going to sit here and tell you that. Fans pay their hard-earned money for their tickets, and I hope to earn their respect back. The last six years were not easy on me; I wasn’t a fan favourite for leaving Edmonton, but having this chance to work hard and try and help this team, all I can ask for is a chance.”

The situation with Kevin Lowe:

“Actually it has. It’s a situation that obviously we had a falling out. The quote that he always says, “expect the unexpected” – sometimes you learn from your situations. I’ve always said that things weren’t handled properly. We met this week and management has been supportive and I appreciate this opportunity. I think Daryl’s a great owner, he wants the best for his hockey team, and this is going to be a competitive team. They’ve got a lot of depth and it’s got a core nucleus of guys that I know. I’m going to come in here and do what I can and score some goals, play hard and play responsible.”

How this effects his family:

“First off, I think that it’s a situation that... hockey is a game, and my dad and our family has worked hard in this community. He helped the SOS program with the Oilers, and he raised a lot of money with charities – the Stollery foundation, the Heart foundation, and obviously we grew up here. We have a lot of friends and ties to this community, and like I said earlier it was challenging being in that position at 21/22, not realizing what I had. Once you get the opportunity to have that again, the passion that I had for the game – I’m excited. I can’t wait for the season to start.”

Being yet another small Oilers forward:

“I think that in the new NHL you have to go out and play hard. Just because a guy’s six feet doesn’t mean he’s any tougher than a guy who’s 5’10”. Team toughness is important in the new NHL, but more importantly you’ve got to move the puck and play hard.”

His injury:

“I feel good. I worked hard this summer. I know everyone always says that so it doesn’t mean a whole lot, but I took time to heal. I had surgery a year ago to fix my hip, but I feel good. It’s going to be something that I’ve got to work hard and do what I can, and like I said I’m excited and I can’t wait for the season to start.”

What position he might play:

“I’ve played wing the last few years, and what I’ve learned as I got older was that you play where the team needs you. I remember being twenty years old; I had a different mentality where I thought I could only play centre. I enjoy playing on the left side, but wherever the coaching staff decides to put players to make the team better, that’s the main objective.”

Where he fits on the team:

“I think when you get to a certain point in your life you don’t want anything handed to you; you want to earn what you get. In this NHL, everybody’s got to earn what they get. Everyone needs to play, and earn what they deserve.”

If he’ll get his old number back:

(Laughs) “We’ll see. We haven’t discussed anything like that.”

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#1 zig
September 12 2009, 11:55AM

this is breaking news at it's finest

#2 Chaz
September 12 2009, 11:56AM

Welcome home Mike! I just hope all the Haters give him a chance. After seeing the way he changed his style in the finals two years ago, I know he is now willing to take any role to help his team, something that he maybe wasn't as willing to do during his first stint here. Considering he went from 4 down to 1 million I think he'll be very motivated to work his way back up the pay scale, and hopefully the Oilers will benefit as a result.

A gutsy move coming back here. If he's willing to let bygones be bygones, then the fans should too. I'll be cheering...

Plus, think of all the Hillary side stories that Wayne will drop this year. I am shaking with anticipation...

#3 oilersordeath
September 12 2009, 12:05PM

Not to change the subject but does anyone now why Eberle was not in the line up last night?

#4 ScubaSteve
September 12 2009, 12:07PM

zig wrote:

this is breaking news at it’s finest

Don't be a douche, many people haven't heard/read this information yet. You're probably the same guy complaining when there isn't a new article up every 30 seconds.

I;m looking forward to Comrie hitting the ice, I think he's gonna surprise some people. He's got a lot to play for this year.

#5 Joey Moss
September 12 2009, 12:11PM

he is right that size =/= toughness. look at DP.

#6 jeanshorts
September 12 2009, 12:14PM

oilersordeath wrote:

Probably because he's already going to camp. They don't need to see what he can do, they know where he's at. And they certainly don't need him to get hurt.

#7 Susie
September 12 2009, 12:17PM

@ oilersordeath:

#8 Kieso
September 12 2009, 12:31PM

TSN says Heatley is off to SJ. Well at lets this saga is done finally. Or lets hope it is done.

#9 Walter
September 12 2009, 12:32PM

Comrie has clearly matured, he's a veteran now, is acting like it and I respect that. He needs to continue to say these things until Edmonton fans "hear" it. His style of quick puck movement and speed works with our team. He has very good vision of the ice and knows where to be without it which is critical. He can think and move at the speed that Hemmer needs. I still don't expect him to grind it out in the corners but do expect more toughness than in the past. The Oil are better today with him...in fact, if he gets PP time, he may score as much as Horcoff for a FRACTION of the cost.

#10 Ccubed82
September 12 2009, 12:34PM

The Hockey News fantasy guide is predicting Comrie to put up 43 points (67gp 20g-23a), The Score Forcaster is predicting 37 points (68gp 15g-22a). If he produces these numbers, is the signing good bang for the buck. And would people be happy with that output

#11 regwald
September 12 2009, 12:35PM

Susie wrote:

@ oilersordeath: Eberle suffered a minor injury (so an article in the Journal said) & because he is an invite to the main camp, they decided to sit him out last night.

Sun reported a slight groin strain - nothing serious.

#12 Dave
September 12 2009, 12:38PM

I agree, I liked what I heard from Comrie. I believe he will be wearing #91.

#13 Reagan
September 12 2009, 12:48PM

Heatley is a Shark...

Comrie is an Oiler. We need to unload some forwards...

#14 Kieso
September 12 2009, 12:51PM

Bizarro world...and a bonus day for Comrie...Comrie will, and I am sure he will, get cheered from the fans, and is now replaced as the most hated (almost) oiler by Heatley. That fist game in Edmonton against SJ will be fun for sure for Comrie.

#15 RossCreek
September 12 2009, 01:42PM

Dave wrote:

I believe he will be wearing #91.

#39 Mike Comrie LW

#16 RossCreek
September 12 2009, 01:44PM

So... ...its Heatley and a 5th round draft pick to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for Milan Michalek, Jonathan Cheechoo and a 2nd round draft pick.

#17 RossCreek
September 12 2009, 02:06PM

@ Dave: RossCreek wrote:

Dave wrote: I believe he will be wearing #91. #39 Mike Comrie LW

According to Tencer's twitter he will start camp with the "team assigned" # 91...

#18 Dominoiler
September 12 2009, 02:44PM

Anyone else see comrie as the 2nd best option at centre? 2nd line centre? except that he could somehow magically be the 'veteran offensive' centre and prop up a pseudo 1st line w hemmer? probably dreaming.. at least the oilers sideshow is providing a story line for training camp, ha..

#19 Mike Comrie Press Conference Transcript - server camp
September 12 2009, 02:54PM

[...] View post:  Mike Comrie Press Conference Transcript [...]

#20 Jerry D. Smith
September 12 2009, 04:29PM

2 words of why I am happy Mike Comrie is back...

Hillary Duff

#21 Matt
September 12 2009, 05:53PM

@ RossCreek: RossCreek wrote:

Dave wrote: I believe he will be wearing #91. #39 Mike Comrie LW

Heard on Stauffer's new show yesterday he would let Gagner keep 89, he might take 91 since its the number he has in camp.

#22 Jake59
September 12 2009, 07:22PM

Matt wrote:

@ RossCreek: RossCreek wrote: Dave wrote: I believe he will be wearing #91. #39 Mike Comrie LW Heard on Stauffer’s new show yesterday he would let Gagner keep 89, he might take 91 since its the number he has in camp.

What do you mean let Gagner keep 89? It is his number to give up, not have Comrie take.

#23 give
September 30 2009, 01:51AM
#31 break
September 30 2009, 02:51AM

tone; zyban;

#32 jbqlpls
October 10 2009, 07:13AM

TF5pbC nbzimtxwsfqg, [url=http://akxbhdohvpch.com/]akxbhdohvpch[/url], [link=http://gvkuvndzqryv.com/]gvkuvndzqryv[/link], http://tnadqnjxstiy.com/

#33 rlhosldqt
October 12 2009, 04:12PM

ur1WRo txakauiuookw, [url=http://rxmdebphjijf.com/]rxmdebphjijf[/url], [link=http://tzwjgwwesxxa.com/]tzwjgwwesxxa[/link], http://xwjrhippldvg.com/