Live at Training Camp 2009

Jason Gregor
September 13 2009 09:16AM

oilers-training-camp

Check back here for updates throughout the day. I'm here at Rexall, hungover, and I'm not leaving until it's all over. I'll be adding updates at the end of this post, so check back and and your comments.

8:36... First day of Oilers training camp, and I can honestly say the only reason I am here this early is that YOU, the Nation faithful, paid for my trip to the Draft back in June. No way would I have shown up this early if you guys/gals hadn’t stepped up. I’m a firm believer in paying it back, so to all of you who donated I applaud you while silently cursing your name at this ungodly hour. I haven’t been up this early on a Sunday all summer, but the good news is that the AC seems to be helping my hangover. Awesome.

8:42... This is my 8th training camp and I can’t recall one that had this much focus on system play. Normally we’d be watching scrimmages by now, but Pat Quinn wants the players to understand every aspect of this system.

8:49... Wayne Fleming and Tom Renney are running the practice for team A. Quinn stands in front of the bench monitoring the troops. Team A consists of:

O’Sullivan — Horcoff — Hemsky Reddox — Potulny — Fretter Stone —  Schremp — Linglet Brennan —  Comrie — Bates

Souray —  Visnovsky Arsene —  Taylor Wild —  Bendfeld

Khabibulin, Pitton and Perugini

Why they have three goalies in this season is mind blowing. The young P’s share a net, while Khabibulin tends the twine at the south end of Rexall. I don’t see why they need eight goalies at camp, especially when we all know that NK and JDD will make the team.

8:52... Brownlee strolls in. How a married guy with kids shows up after a single guy who has four pieces of gum in his mouth in hopes of masking the his booze breath is beyond me. I will say that the STRIDE commercial boasting how long the taste lasts is complete bogus. I’ve pumped five pieces in and I’ve only been here 25 minutes. I think Hubba Bubba’s flavour lasted longer.

9:00... Team A leaves the ice and the zambonis come out for a quick flood.

No one really stood out since it was a lot of line rushes and break outs, but Schremp does look a step faster. Patrick O’Sullivan is my early pick for break out player of the year. He looks comfortable on the left side with Horcoff and Hemsky.

The most interesting thing to note is that Billy Moores is sitting with the Oiler brass watching practice. He is still on the payroll and I’d bet he’ll be scouting for the Oilers this year.

While all of the players left the ice, Hemsky sits on the bench during the flood and had a lengthy talk with Wayne Fleming. It looked like Hemsky was doing the talking and Fleming was listening. Fleming is a great hockey mind and it is not surprising that he wants to understand how the most talented Oiler thinks the game. Hemsky leaves the conversation with a big smile on his face.

9:20...Team A is back on the ice, and today looks more like a regular season practice, with one-on-one line rushes. Schremp undresses Jake Taylor and then goes top shelf over a sprawled Pitton. Best goal of the day so far.

9:30... Quinn is living up to his reputation of letting his assistants run practice. Renney stops the 3 on 2 rushes every time they don't break out how he wants it and Quinn quietly watches. Schremp just pots another beauty off the post and in. I don't think he has a chance of making the team, but in a practice situation is natural skill is very noticeable. His skill set is world class.

9:35...Souray looks very good so far. He has broken up the last three rushes with perfectly timed poke-checks. I'm sitting in section 119, while all the fans sit across the ice in section 136,101 and 102. I just notice a guy wearing an Oilersnation T-shirt. I'm too lazy to walk over there, but a big shout out to whoever is sporting the colours this morning. And I just decided that if Wanye is going to be a "story-breaker", then I'm going to drag his sorry ass here next year on day one of camp. Take the good with the bad Wanye, and trust me 8:30 in the morning on a Sunday is the bad...ha

9:42...Springfield is going to be way tougher and harder to play against this year. Arsene and Taylor both have and edge on the blueline, and Brennan is huge. Brennan skates fairly well for a tough guy, and has looked pretty good this morning.

10:15...TEAM B is now on the ice, and today will be like ground hog day. Three sessions, and the only thing different will be the players on the ice. Quinn wants all the players to know what he expects of them, and considering they only have two days of camp before the preseason, the coaches have no choice but to focus more on systems than they usually would.

Team B consists of:

Penner Gagner Eberle Jacques Pouliot Stortini Trukhno O'Marra McDonald Emmerson Lerg MacMurchy

Grebeshkov Gilbert Chorney Plante Nickerson Young

Deslauriers and Roy

10:35.. Battling drills down low, one-on-one and two-on-two. Penner pulls a sweet, puck-between-the-legs move and dances around Grebeshkov, only to by stymied by JDD. I said it earlier this week that Penner looks a touch slimmer. It intersesting how in these drills they have the NHL guys at one end, and the AHL guys at the other. It is pretty obvious which players the coaches think have a shot to make this team. I'm not surprised at all, considering it is pretty obvious which players have a chance.

10:43...best hit so far today as Colin McDonald rocks Bryan Lerg into the boards on a two-on-two drill. I can't wait until tomorrow when the guys actually scrimmage. Team B leaves the ice for a flood.

11:04...Team B back on the ice and the first casualty of camp. Olivier Roy hurt his shoulder after taking a shot from Penner. Roy leaves the ice in obvious discomfort. You hope for his sake that it is nothing to serious. Nothing worse for a young guy than getting hurt on the first day of his first NHL training camp.

11:05...***Sidenote...Dolphins/Falcons game just started and the Fish will win.***

11:06...Back to hockey...Practicing with only one goalie sucks, you have to think they will bring one of the three goalies who were scheduled to be part of TEAM C out early. The sad part is that only Lerg and Stortini scored on the empty net during one-on-one drills.

11:11..Stortini and Gilbert are sporting trimmed locks, and to be honest it's not a good look for either of them. Stortini's shaggy look suits him and his on-ice persona much better. I'm betting he grows it out as the year progresses. Gilbert looks 15 with the short hair, and I'm stunned he trimmed it because he loved his locks last season. You wonder if both wanted to come in looking sharp for their new coach???

11:18...Devan Dubnyk comes out as the 2nd goalie, and so far he hasn't let in a goal. This is a huge year for both he and JDD. One of them probably won't be part of the organization next year, when both have to clear waivers.

11:25...Had a lengthy chat with Patrick Laforge and he'll be on my show tomorrow discussing the rink and also the Oilers television schedule. They will officially announce it later this week and there will be a small wrinkle for a few games. Right now it looks like one or two games might not be televised, but they are trying to work it out.

11:30...Team B is done for the day. They will now go do an off-ice workout.

11:50..TEAM C is on the ice now and here's the line combos.

Moreau Cogliano Pisani Nilsson Brule Minard Cornet Paukovich MacIntyre Czuy Kytnar Lazo

Smid Staios Motin Strudwick Prout Dudas

Dubynk, Sorochan and Mucha in goal.

If you are wondering where Theo Peckham is, he is out with an ankle injury.

12:01...The final session is underway and it's the exact same formula. Some end-to-end rushes and then right into SYSTEM 101. The focus is on defence. They want the forwards to help out a lot in the defensive zone. Quinn has a reputation of wanting an uptempo style, but listening to the players he has preached defence first. Yes, he wants them to move the puck up the ice quickly, but it will all start with solid defensive coverage. The forwards will need to be much more responsible it sounds like.

12:05...I still don't think Cogliano is best suited to play on the 3rd line, and I don't expect him to be there in a three weeks. I don't put a lot of stock into some of the combinations. Comrie skated with Bates and Brennan and I'm pretty sure the Oilers aren't planning on playing him in a 4th line role.

12:35...Needed to charge my laptop...and now I'm good the rest of the day.

During my computer downtime I saw Pat Quinn talk the most he has all day. He addressed team C for about five minutes explaining in detail what he wanted from them during the next drill. It has been interesting listening to the players talk about Quinn. Every player I spoke with raved about his motivation tools and how inspirational he has been already.

12:43...Nilsson has been the best player this session by far. He just walked around Dudas and then finished with a nice deke around Dubynk. Making a good first impression will be key for Nilsson, and it is clear that he will need to prove to the coaching staff that he deserves to be in the top six. I'd say he has been the best player overall on day one.

12:51...I tip my hat to the diehard fans who have watched all three sessions today. And a big thank you to the two blondes who showed up for the final session. Pick me ups come in many different forms and there is nothing better than beautiful women. This final session is winding down, with some end-to-end line rushes. This is the only session that hasn't had a flood halfway through and the ice is getting pretty choppy now.

12:56...I just thought of a great contest we should do here on the Nation. Predict the game that Smid scores in. He has gone two full seasons without a goal, after scoring three his first year in Edmonton.

12:59...Day one is over. Outside of Olivier Roy's shoulder there were no injuries. Roy was fine in the locker room afterwards. The Oilers will practice again tomorrow at 8:30, and for fans it will be much for enjoyable because there will be two scrimmages tomorrow.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 Victoria
September 13 2009, 09:21AM

8:30 in the morning!? I have to get up for work at 4:30am. 8:30 is sleeping in.

#2 Heazues
September 13 2009, 09:38AM

lol, im a single father of 2. i cant remember the last time i slept in till 8 :P those rugrats are up at the first sign of light.

glad to hear o'sully seems comfortable, he's a guy i was really cheering for to make some noise this season.

@gregor.

gagner and coggs. do either one of them look like they put some weight on or filled out at all?

#3 KenL
September 13 2009, 09:40AM

Is training camp open to the public? I noticed the Oil has two scrimmages tomorrow morning and I'd like to go if it's open.

#4 Deep Oil
September 13 2009, 09:43AM

KenL wrote:

Is training camp open to the public? I noticed the Oil has two scrimmages tomorrow morning and I’d like to go if it’s open.

Open to public - link provided

Oilers open 2009 Training Camp - Edmonton Oilers - Training Camp ...The Edmonton Oilers will kick off the 2009 Training Camp on Saturday, September 12, with the first on-ice session open to the public on Sunday, ... oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=497747 - Cached - Similar

#5 Archaeologuy
September 13 2009, 09:43AM

Thanks for coming in so early Jason. Do you know if Visnovsky is 100% with his shoulder yet? I imagine he's close but until he gets ino some full contact play he wont really know.

#6 SkinnyD
September 13 2009, 09:44AM

KenL wrote:

Yes, it's open to the public, free parking too I think. Not sure about concessions running?

#7 bingofuel
September 13 2009, 09:49AM

@ Skinny D:

#8 Clarkenstein
September 13 2009, 09:50AM

Gregor you don't think Brownless got that big skipping breakfast do you? Takes a while to fill that fuel tank. What was the occasion last night that you felt the need to get pi$$ed up? Nice to have your reports... thanks.

#9 Clarkenstein
September 13 2009, 09:50AM

bingofuel wrote:

@ Skinny D: RossCreek is at training camp, and in another post says concessions are open and free today.

Don't let Penner hear that!!!

#10 Jason Gregor
September 13 2009, 09:50AM

KenL wrote:

Yes it is. The concessions are open as well.Archaeologuy wrote:

Thanks for coming in so early Jason. Do you know if Visnovsky is 100% with his shoulder yet? I imagine he’s close but until he gets ino some full contact play he wont really know.

I talked to him last week at Kinsmen and he said his shoulder is good, but you won't see him in the preseason this week. Doctors told him he needs another week to get more range of motion in the shoulder. He looked to be in great shape, and while he isn't that big, he might be the best "put together" guy on the team.

#11 OilW30
September 13 2009, 09:51AM

#12 OilW30
September 13 2009, 09:51AM

p.s., you have competition: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=680319

#13 Clarkenstein
September 13 2009, 09:51AM

Clarkenstein wrote:

Gregor you don’t think Brownless got that big skipping breakfast do you? Takes a while to fill that fuel tank. What was the occasion last night that you felt the need to get pi$$ed up? Nice to have your reports… thanks.

I mean Brownlee!! *slaps self upside the head... returns to coffee pot*

#14 SkinnyD
September 13 2009, 09:52AM

bingofuel wrote:

Schweet, thanks. Must have missed it. I shall caffeinnate properly and happily tomorrow!

#15 Shapeman
September 13 2009, 10:01AM

@ Jason Gregor:

Gregor were you chewin that gum right? My Stride usually lasts an hour and a half plus some. Keep up the good updates so "early" this morning.

#16 Greens
September 13 2009, 10:11AM

Sitting here at training camp, thought I'd offer some thoughts on Team A.

-Souray looks like a beast out there, lots of 2 on 1 and 3 on 2 drills so far. Souray has been breaking them up with ease.

-Schremp looks great...when he has space. He's made some sick moves and scored a couple goals that got nice responses from the crowd when he has an odd man rush to work with. Put him in a 5 on 5 situation though and he disappears. Pretty much as advertised. Made some nice plays defensively though, I have to give him that.

-Horcoff seems to be having some trouble with the puck, keeps sliding off his stick. Lots of swearing drifting up to the stands from #10.

Team B just hit the ice, so back to watching for me.

#17 douggy
September 13 2009, 10:24AM

Gregor, I dont see you in the stands anymore. are you puking? hahaha.

#18 douggy
September 13 2009, 10:27AM

also, penner has been a huge suprise! good to see katz in the stands with his son!

#19 RossCreek
September 13 2009, 10:28AM

LOL Gregor. I thought O'Sullivan looked good too. Schremp definatelhas some skill, but his swagger is irritating. He acts as though he's a vet. Almost hit 2 guys in the head with the puck. Didn't like his cocky body language.

#20 Psyche
September 13 2009, 10:28AM

Terrific post Gregor! Thank you for doing this.

#21 Archaeologuy
September 13 2009, 10:31AM

Greens wrote:

~Horc whiffing on the puck?! I wont believe it!~

#22 Jason Gregor
September 13 2009, 10:36AM

douggy wrote:

Gregor, I dont see you in the stands anymore. are you puking? hahaha.

Hey rookie, I haven't puked in years. My eyes might look like roadmaps, but that't only because I was up until 5. I actually feel great right now. Drinking Limon and water is the key gents...Hydrate as you suck back a few really lessens the pain the next morning.

#23 Jason Gregor
September 13 2009, 10:39AM

Clarkenstein wrote:

It was saturday...ha..No I went golfing with the fellas and then to one of the best establisments in the city, On The Rocks. I avoided shots, so I feel great right now. Plan on going for a bike ride when I'm done with ground hog day.

#24 douggy
September 13 2009, 10:39AM

haha. awesome!

#25 o'reilly
September 13 2009, 10:40AM

Man i can't wait for the season to start. Heck even tuesday's pre-season game against the flamers. As i can't be there for these practises i sure appreciate everyone's comments and gregors updates. does penner actually look like he trimmed down?

also can't wait to see schremp in a islander's..whoops i mean oil jersey this fall

#26 Jason Gregor
September 13 2009, 10:48AM

OilW30 wrote:

I would have but I don't see him anymore. And I don't carry tickets in my pocket all the time..haha..Now if he was sporting a Nation T-shirt and a Just A Game hat then he would have got something for sure..haha.

#27 Greens
September 13 2009, 10:49AM

RossCreek wrote:

Schremp definatelhas some skill, but his swagger is irritating. He acts as though he’s a vet. Almost hit 2 guys in the head with the puck. Didn’t like his cocky body language.

Schremp was interesting that way. You can tell that he's out there playing "Rob Schremp hockey" but he was trying to be a good boy at the same time. Tossed a few pucks to fans, stayed behind cleaning up pucks, moved the net for the zamboni, etc.

#28 Death Metal Nightmare
September 13 2009, 10:50AM

O'Sullivan Comrie - Hemsky Cogliano - Gagner - Penner Schremp - Horcoff - Pisani Moreau - Brule - Storts

Comrie and O'Sullivan could both take faceoffs in situations theyre more comfy in. Schremp gets great D coverage and some shooters to work with. Cogs and Penner help Gagner score. the fourth line shreds and creates chaos. thats what id roll with out of camp. its balanced and three lines can score.

#29 douggy
September 13 2009, 10:50AM

b>o'reilly wrote:

Man i can’t wait for the season to start. Heck even tuesday’s pre-season game against the flamers. As i can’t be there for these practises i sure appreciate everyone’s comments and gregors updates. does penner actually look like he trimmed down? also can’t wait to see schremp in a islander’s..whoops i mean oil jersey this fall

penner looks good. jump in his step, trimmed down, a hard shot, potted a few beautys. I have faith!

#30 ChiliChunk
September 13 2009, 10:55AM

Jason Gregor wrote:

For Team A which forwards were in the 'NHL' end along with the big line? Seems like the 3 other lines were a mixed bag...

#31 o'reilly
September 13 2009, 10:55AM

Death Metal Nightmare wrote:

Schremp has the mind to make fast decisions and needs less space (he does it better than Gagner at this point in his career cause his decisions are slower). the Oilers are morons to not give him some games this year on a line with someone like Horcoff and another finisher on the right side. the lines should be: O’Sullivan Comrie – Hemsky Cogliano – Gagner – Penner Schremp – Horcoff – Pisani Moreau – Brule – Storts Comrie and O’Sullivan could both take faceoffs in situations theyre more comfy in. Schremp gets great D coverage and some shooters to work with. Cogs and Penner help Gagner score. the fourth line shreds and creates chaos. thats what id roll with out of camp. its balanced and three lines can score.

I never though of those combo's before but man they actually look really good and would more than likely work well too. So im assuming this means you think nilsson is a goner?

#32 RossCreek
September 13 2009, 10:56AM

ITS FREAKING COLD IN HERE

#33 OYLer
September 13 2009, 10:59AM

Sour and tart "limon" with agua, Costa Rican with a portmanteau thrown in - you must really be hung.

#34 douggy
September 13 2009, 10:59AM

Jason Gregor wrote:

OilW30 wrote: Gregor, get off your lazy ass and go give that guy wearing the Oilersnation T-shirt some free tickets or something! I would have but I don’t see him anymore. And I don’t carry tickets in my pocket all the time..haha..Now if he was sporting a Nation T-shirt and a Just A Game hat then he would have got something for sure..haha.

what if i were to make my own just a game apparel? shirt, sweatpants, toque... that at least deserves something right? a few limons and a drinking lesson? lol.

#35 Archaeologuy
September 13 2009, 11:02AM

Did Plante look really out of place?

#36 Greens
September 13 2009, 11:09AM

Archaeologuy wrote:

Did Plante look really out of place?

Haven't seen too much of Plante, but he hasn't stood out one way or the other really. Most noticeable thing about him is that he's hella tall. Once he adds some weight he'll be something.

Sidenote, during a breakaway style drill just now, Penner caught Olivier Roy up high, took him out. They were treating him just off the ice, but now he's heading for the room. Too bad for the guy, hope he's alright.

#37 RossCreek
September 13 2009, 11:14AM

Rob Schremp taking in 2nd session from the zamboni entrance, signing some auto's for some kids shyly making their way over.

#38 Legion
September 13 2009, 11:23AM

Who's number 28?

#39 The Good Doc
September 13 2009, 11:37AM

Sorry Jason after your first couple of graphs I couldn't focus on hockey.

If the answer is yes, joking about it isn't funny.

#40 oilerdiehard
September 13 2009, 11:37AM

It is much appreciated that you are doing this for us Jason. Thank you. It is so nice to actually hear some on ice related news.

#41 McEwen
September 13 2009, 11:41AM

What times are the scrimmages happening tomorrow? Any help would be great! Thanks!

#42 Greens
September 13 2009, 11:45AM

@ McEwen:

Scrimmages are from 9:30 to 10:15 and 11:45 to 12:30 tomorrow. Team A then Team B. Not sure if the rosters tomorrow will be the same as those today though. Drills will start the day and be in between the scrimmages as well.

#43 McEwen
September 13 2009, 11:48AM

@Greens

Thanks a bunch! I now have something to do tomorrow!

#44 o'reilly
September 13 2009, 11:50AM

@ The Good Doc: The Good Doc wrote:

Sorry Jason after your first couple of graphs I couldn’t focus on hockey. Is alcohol in any way, interfering with your daily life or relationships with others? If the answer is yes, joking about it isn’t funny. Alcoholism is a disease and going on like a teen about how you have an hangover is more sad than funny.

this is HOCKEY talk. gregor is a hell of a man for doing these updates for people who dont live in the city and couldn't make it. go be a downer somewhere else. lets go oil

#45 cableguy
September 13 2009, 11:53AM

The Good Doc wrote:

~AA is for quitters~

#46 Planetalker
September 13 2009, 11:54AM

Falcons will roll over fish today. They'll also win the southeast. You heard it here first.

#47 David S
September 13 2009, 12:00PM

The Good Doc wrote:

Give it a rest buddy. MADD isn't one of the sponsors on this site.

Thanks Jason for punching in today. It was pretty wild around town last night. I'm sure a few more of us would have made it to practice if we were gamers like you.

*wonders where he left the super-strength advil bottle*

#48 ebi
September 13 2009, 12:00PM

I appreciate the effort and the updates, but try not to make it sound like a chore. It's distracting.

#49 David S
September 13 2009, 12:02PM

cableguy wrote:

~AA is for quitters~

Ahhh-hahahahaha!

#50 G-unit
September 13 2009, 12:18PM

@ The Good Doc:

Who invited the fun police? Give it a rest buddy, if you dont like, move on. Personally I had a good laugh at Gregors hangover comments. Classic.