GDB Minus-8: What you've waited all summer for

Jason Gregor
September 15 2009 08:30AM

dubnyk

Yesterday, Wanye predicted his star of the year, which unofficially dropped the puck on another NHL season here on the Nation. Many of you will now enter at least 23 different NHL drafts or pools, you’ll perfect your game day routine, kiss your significant other and tell her you’ll see her in May (or April if you think the Oilers haven’t improved), take your Oiler jersey off the hanger, pre-write excuses for your boss as to why you are late and only use them the day after a big Oiler win, or a loss, and you will stare lovingly at your new Pat Quinn “He is God” poster that you bought. That’s right, Nation, the Oilers are officially back tonight.

The Oilers will have a morning skate at 9:00am and then hop on a plane to Calgary, take a nap and then get to the rink.

**Update...Here are the lines for tonight.

O’Sullivan — Comrie — Stone Jacques — Horcoff — Schremp Brennan -- Paukovich -Stortini Moreau -- Potulny -- Minard

Gilbert -- Chorney Staios -- Arsene Plante -- Strudwick

I know that Dubnyk will get the start and Deslauriers will back him up.

One of the more intriguing story lines will be whether Theo Fleury suits up in a Flames jersey, since he was traded to the Avalanche for Regehr and others.

You might hate Fleury, and most Oilers fans probably hurl when they see the video of that waterbug sliding on his knees all the way down the ice after scoring the OT winner in game six. But if that pisses you off, just remember that another pest, Esa Tikkanen scored the winner in game seven in Calgary two nights later.

Pre-season is hard to gauge, because many of the players on the ice won’t be here come October, but it is also the first opportunity for Quinn and company to see some of these players in game action.

First line really?

JF Jacques gave me a pretty good insight on how players look at themselves. The roster for the first two pre-season games is on the wall in the players lounge, and yesterday Jacques took a look to see when he was playing.

The lineup is printed out how we normally do it, with the alleged first line on top and then it goes downwards to the fourth line. He told me he scanned the 3rd and 4th lines for both games and didn’t see his name. He was a bit dejected and decided to double check, and he was stunned when he noticed his name on the first line for tonight.

“I’m not thinking I’m a first line player, but it is exciting to get to play with Horc and Schremp. They are both very creative and I think it should be lots of fun, but I have to play my game and not get too fancy. I remember I didn’t even get to play in an exhibition game my first camp, and normally I’ve only played with checkers so tomorrow should be fun.”

The fact Jacques missed his name on the first line, shows he knows where he’ll fit on this team, and that’s what he needs if he wants to be an everyday player. “I’m tired of spending more time as a healthy scratch, and I want to become an everyday player this year.”

Rookie jitters

I asked Devan Dubnyk about the memory of his first pre-season game.

“My first game Markkanen got hurt, so they told me I would dress but only back up Deslauriers. But then they pulled him midway through the second. I didn’t have much time to get nervous and I played okay in Dallas, but my first game in Calgary was the worst.

“I was backing up Ty Conklin and he injured himself late in the first period, and during the intermission I’m in my stall and he has his skate off. With four minutes to go in intermission I look at his stall and all his gear is there, so I realize I’m going in.

“Calgary is my hometown so I was really nervous. They pumped three goals by me in the first five minutes. I didn’t have a chance on two of them, but I’m crouching in my net after the third goal thinking we are going to lose twenty to nothing and there is no other goalie on the bench. I was pretty stressed at that moment. Thankfully they didn’t score after that, and we lost three nothing, but it ended up way better than it started,” he said laughing.

You can bet he’ll be much calmer tonight; in fact he was really pumped to be getting the call in game one. He admitted that for the first time in his career he feels he is ready to play in the NHL and wants to prove that starting tonight.

With Brennan dressed expect some fireworks. He believes he can really push MacIntryre to be the other tough, even though he'd have to be really good, because right now he only has an AHL contract.

MacT starts early

TSN sent out a release today announcing that Craig MacTavish will be in studio for 25 games, debuting September 21st when Pittsburgh faces Montreal.

MacT was never one to be love with the media, and now that he is "one", he had some fun with it.

"I'm happy to finally be among the experts where the issues are many and the solutions obvious. I appreciate TSN providing a safe haven for unemployed coaches as we rehabilitate ourselves towards future employability."

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
One of Canada's most versatile sports personalities. Jason hosts The Jason Gregor Show, weekdays from 2 to 6 p.m., on TSN 1260, and he writes a column every Monday in the Edmonton Journal. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/JasonGregor
Avatar
#101 Steve
September 16 2009, 12:57AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

DK0 wrote:

Also Mike – you wouldn’t be the same Mike who was asking me where my apology was in the original thread would you?

YOU ARE WRONG.

Avatar
#102 NBOilerFan
September 16 2009, 06:58AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Tyler wrote:

So…what does that mean Jason? Were the Oilers just yanking your chain? Did they think he was waiver eligible? What was his agent talking about?

What I'm wondering is.... did Rick get incorrect information on this from another source... such as the NHL office? There is also the possibility that Rick was provided false information that he was reliaing on because he thought it was valid coming from a good source.

Or he could have simply F&#*%^$ up!

Avatar
#103 David S
September 16 2009, 09:36AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

NBOilerFan wrote:

What I’m wondering is…. did Rick get incorrect information on this from another source… such as the NHL office? There is also the possibility that Rick was provided false information that he was reliaing on because he thought it was valid coming from a good source. Or he could have simply F&#*%^$ up!

Its Brule. Who cares. Enough about marginal players and prospects.

Look at the first line for tonight's game. THAT'S something to waste a few brain cells about...

Nilsson/Gagner/Hemsky

*drool*

Avatar
#104 PerryK
September 16 2009, 09:43AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Ogden Brother wrote:

kris wrote: We all gave Olcyk the benefit of the doubt for months about this Brule thing. “He must know something we didn’t.” Oops. It turns out that he didn’t know jack all that we didn’t. Maybe less. (Assuming, that is, that he didn’t lie to Gregor for the fun of it.) If you’re still giving Olcyk the benefit of the doubt on this, I have a great deal on a bridge for sale for you. I assume Gregor emailed or somehow asked the Oilers about this. (He said he also asked the NHL.) No one ever got back to him after the bizarre ‘we already waived Brule’ answer. That’s ridiculous. I don’t blame Gregor for that, but I do find it even more damning of the Oilers that they refuse to spend five minutes answering a question about a serious topic from one of the more widely know sports-media guys in town. If I were Gregor I’d be pissed. the next time I had oner of the brass on my show, I’d ask ‘Why did you not know what you were doing?’ and “Why did you not get back to me?” But I guess that kind of honesty would cost him his job. Lessons learned: The Oilers brass are at least occasionally incompetent, and journalists can’t call them out on it without losing their jobs. Keep in mind that the team doesn’t owe us (or Gregor) anything.

I can't believe that you would say that a Professional team, that makes their living based on our support doesn't owe us any thing!!!

Avatar
#105 Ogden Brother
September 16 2009, 10:27AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

PerryK wrote:

I can’t believe that you would say that a Professional team, that makes their living based on our support doesn’t owe us any thing!!!

Ya it's warm and gushy to say that they do, but their no different then any private business. Does your local grocery store "owe you" information on their supply chain managment?

Avatar
#106 Woodguy
September 16 2009, 11:03AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

David S wrote:

Its Brule. Who cares. Enough about marginal players and prospects.

Seeing that the Oilers traded a decent NHL caliber RW in Torres for him we should care.

I heard the Oilers were dumping Torres due to personal issues, but you still want to see a return for him.

Also, the number of NHL contracts can handcuff the team when it comes to trades later.

Management decisions are fair game for criticism. A lot of fans have fun with management decisions, hence the explosion of Fantasy leagues for all sports.

Ogden: Yes they should be accountable, especially to the season ticket holders, sponsers and others who drop a lot of $$$ on the team.

Your example of the grocery supply chain isn't great though because if I don't want to shop at one store or chain, I have options.

I really do not have any other options for NHL season tickets so I complain since I cannot move my purchase $$$ easily.

If we don't like a player's performance we boo at the game. If we don't like the coaches performance we boo and/or heckle at the game.

If we don't like management performance we can't do those things so I take the tactic of posting online and tilting at windmills.

Avatar
#107 Ogden Brother
September 16 2009, 11:10AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Woodguy wrote:

Ogden: Yes they should be accountable, especially to the season ticket holders, sponsers and others who drop a lot of $$$ on the team. Your example of the grocery supply chain isn’t great though because if I don’t want to shop at one store or chain, I have options. I really do not have any other options for NHL season tickets so I complain since I cannot move my purchase $$$ easily. If we don’t like a player’s performance we boo at the game. If we don’t like the coaches performance we boo and/or heckle at the game. If we don’t like management performance we can’t do those things so I take the tactic of posting online and tilting at windmills.

You have options to spend your entertainment $$ elsewhere. They provide the service, you chose to consume or not.

You can complain all you want, but to think you are owed a resolution to your percieved issue is rediculous. If you don't feel you are getting value for your $$ (on ice or off) stop purchasing the product. Simple as that.

Avatar
#108 David S
September 16 2009, 11:20AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

kris wrote:

Lessons learned: The Oilers brass are at least occasionally incompetent, and journalists can’t call them out on it without losing their jobs.

Nice insight Captain Obvious. ;)

Seriously. How is this different from any other pro sports franchise in the world?

Avatar
#109 Woodguy
September 16 2009, 11:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Ogden Brother wrote:

You have options to spend your entertainment $$ elsewhere. They provide the service, you chose to consume or not. You can complain all you want, but to think you are owed a resolution to your percieved issue is rediculous. If you don’t feel you are getting value for your $$ (on ice or off) stop purchasing the product. Simple as that.

I am a supplier of building materials. My customers have many other options than my company.

I appreciate when they bitch and whine at me because that tells me they want to keep doing business with me, but want me to get better. If I don't they will switch. So I never feel bad about bitching and whining to my suppliers (in this case my supplier of NHL hockey)

You assume the $$$ I spend on NHL hockey is portable to other entertainment, that is not true. Other entertainment (including other hockey) doesn't hold the same value. The Oilers are a monopoly on NHL hockey in this area.

Also, its ridiculous not rediculous.

Why do so many people get that wrong?

Avatar
#110 Ogden Brother
September 16 2009, 12:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Woodguy wrote:

I am a supplier of building materials. My customers have many other options than my company. I appreciate when they bitch and whine at me because that tells me they want to keep doing business with me, but want me to get better. If I don’t they will switch. So I never feel bad about bitching and whining to my suppliers (in this case my supplier of NHL hockey) You assume the $$$ I spend on NHL hockey is portable to other entertainment, that is not true. Other entertainment (including other hockey) doesn’t hold the same value. The Oilers are a monopoly on NHL hockey in this area. Also, its ridiculous not rediculous. Why do so many people get that wrong?

I'm not sure why you feel the fact that the team is a quasi monopoly should make them MORE responsible to the fan base, if anything that gives them way more rope and way less accontability to the fans. I'm pretty sure the city/people of Edmonton would take an incompetent NHL team over no NHL team at all.

Avatar
#111 NBOilerFan
September 16 2009, 01:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

David S wrote:

Its Brule. Who cares. Enough about marginal players and prospects. Look at the first line for tonight’s game. THAT’S something to waste a few brain cells about… Nilsson/Gagner/Hemsky *drool*

Well, obviously unlike you, I look forward to not only our highly touted prospects/players, but equally forward to seeing certain less glamorous prospects. And this year there are two in particular that I am most excited about, those being Jacques and Brule.

Avatar
#113 ship
September 27 2009, 05:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Avatar
#114 happen
September 27 2009, 05:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Avatar
#117 help
September 29 2009, 11:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

paragraph; tramadol; hårförslust;

Avatar
#118 throw
September 30 2009, 12:54AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

stop; xenical;

Avatar
#119 teeth
September 30 2009, 01:52AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Avatar
#120 search
September 30 2009, 02:52AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Avatar
#121 dazytyday
October 09 2009, 10:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

The Scottish SPCA is appealing into communication after it responded to a entreat from a permanent at the village's Hawkhill Cottages who spotted the youthful swart and silver female cat in the terrace, dragging her perfidiously leg. Our pretty Monday passed away, during the Rainbow Span and into the Summerlands, on December 28, 2001 and on May 11, 2002 we lost our venerated Princess Honeybear. I've built two remembrance pages, both to honor their retention and to serve others who pull someone's leg departed furbabies of their own. Click on the beating centre to visit the memento pages or just continue down this page to concoct aid the clock and entertain some fun with Monday and Honeybear and their family and friends in happier times. http://decorazon.inadep.com/foro/viewtopic.php?p=102914#102914 http://theoffseasonmsc.com/forum/index.php?topic=636.0 http://www.killzonefans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39529 http://www.ardat.net/wotachula/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=160510#p160510 http://sabha.knowbe4ugo.com/phpBB-3.0.2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59068

Scottish SPCA Chief Inspector Paul Anderson said, "Anecdote of our ambulance drivers rescued the cat and took it to a uncultured vets where she was x-rayed and cat dog icon smiley an measure gun pellet was develop lodged in her support pillar, causing a taxing break to her femur.

pOBdik4888

http://hguni60.hg.funpic.de/forum/index.php?topic=1226.0

Comments are closed for this article.